PDA

View Full Version : Cavs & Nets discussing Jack for Thornton swap

D-Rose
06-21-2014, 03:39 PM
via stein

[QUOTE]@ESPNSteinLine

Locked_Up_Tonight
06-21-2014, 03:41 PM
Jack should have never signed with Cleveland. He got money, but he left a great situation for the trainwreck that is the Cavs.

BrownEye007
06-21-2014, 03:44 PM
Jack should have never signed with Cleveland. He got money, but he left a great situation for the trainwreck that is the Cavs.
Jack played like trash the entire year and he sucks in 2k. I hope the Cavs get rid of him. Not necessarily for thornton though.

Uncle Drew
06-21-2014, 03:44 PM
Thornton is an expiring, I think this trade will lead to another trade for us.

ProfessorMurder
06-21-2014, 03:45 PM
Jack is better than DWill.

Uncle Drew
06-21-2014, 03:46 PM
Jack is better than DWill.
Believe me, as bad as Williams is, he's not.

Meticode
06-21-2014, 04:18 PM
Jack is a top 5 reason for the train wreck and why it happened.

KyrieTheFuture
06-21-2014, 04:19 PM
I would trade Jack for Vspan at this point

Locked_Up_Tonight
06-21-2014, 04:25 PM
Jack is a top 5 reason for the train wreck and why it happened.

I think the trainwreck occurred because no one knew their roles. Jack sucked. But (IMO) the suckage was not because of him losing his game but more because of no one knew what the hell to do on a nightly basis.

GSW knew what they wanted on a nightly basis.

WeGetRing2012
06-21-2014, 04:30 PM
I think the trainwreck occurred because no one knew their roles. Jack sucked. But (IMO) the suckage was not because of him losing his game but more because of no one knew what the hell to do on a nightly basis.

Yep. Mike Brown is an awful coach.

Meticode
06-21-2014, 04:39 PM

They brought Jack in for one reason. To be a leader in the locker room for this young team, and he couldn't even do that.

niko
06-21-2014, 05:03 PM
Livingston's role was to calm the offense down, give it some ball movement, post up inside to give the shooters space. Jack freelances often. I don't like him as a Livingston replacement. It's not a bad trade but the fit seems iffy to me.

COnDEMnED
06-21-2014, 05:06 PM
I'm not sure who wins in this trade. I guess the Nets. :confusedshrug:

niko
06-21-2014, 05:15 PM
I'm not sure who wins in this trade. I guess the Nets. :confusedshrug:
They both win, the Nets get the player they want, the Cavs get rid of that god awful contract.

HylianNightmare
06-21-2014, 05:21 PM
Lose lose

1~Gibson~1
06-21-2014, 05:54 PM
Jack played like trash the entire year and he sucks in 2k. I hope the Cavs get rid of him. Not necessarily for thornton though.
JACK IS FCKING LEGIT IN 2K! You just have to hold his shot for a little longer than expected... 6th man of the year on my association easily.

MiseryCityTexas
06-21-2014, 06:00 PM
Terrible deal for the Nets

MiseryCityTexas
06-21-2014, 06:02 PM

He was a beast in 2k13 though. inserting him in the backcourt with Curry back in the day would be and easy win against the competition.

niko
06-21-2014, 06:18 PM
Terrible deal for the Nets
You're not aware of the rule. Any trade that doesn't give the Nets 2016 salary is a good deal. Because literally every star is going to leave their team and go to the Nets (despite them having no depth, and still Deron to get rid of before that). Howard, Aldridge, Durant are all going to leave their star laden teams to go 3 deep on the Nets with Plumlee.

Jack has no 2016 salary, thus good deal.

The JKidd Kid
06-22-2014, 12:20 AM
33rd pick involved also

RedBlackAttack
06-22-2014, 02:12 AM
If that's what it is, Jack was manning one of the trains in said wreck. He was an utter disaster in his one year as a Cavalier. Not only was his game totally redundant with Irving and Waiters, but he was brought in to be a leader yet provided no real veteran presence. In fact, he added to the locker room problems, reportedly, constantly complaining about his role in the offense.

Meanwhile, based on his play, he should have been benched midway through the season.

Jack isn't nearly as good as he thinks he is. I've never seen a player pass up so many wide open jumpers only to take two meaningless dribbles right into the teeth of the defense and "jack" up a horrible, low percentage heave. It was his trademark.

Let me put it like this... Undrafted rookie Mathew Dellavedova had far more impact and was much more of a "leader" than Jack during last season.

Here's what actually happened... since he was such a good fit in GS, the Cavs mistakenly thought he was a lot better than he is. Once he was taken out of that specific role on that specific team, he looked like the Jarrett Jack who put up 9 points and 3 assists on >41% back in 2011 before he got to Golden State.

All Net
06-22-2014, 05:51 AM
They brought Jack in for one reason. To be a leader in the locker room for this young team, and he couldn't even do that.
Pretty much

niko
06-22-2014, 08:43 AM
I don't hate this trade from the Nets angle because I don't like Thorton's game, and i think in a contract year he'll be much more selfish. So get him out. For the Cavs, they remove a bad seed and reduce contract.

For the Nets, Jack is a better fit if Livingston stays, to be a change of pace off the bench. But as a Livingston replacement he's lacking because he doesn't do the same things, Livingston posted up, got the ball moving, opened up the three point shooting, caused problems on defense because he is tall. Jack is concerned with Jack's offense more than ball movement and such.

ZHAKIDD532
06-22-2014, 08:57 AM
Funny how Jack's contract runs out for the 2016 Summer. The Nets are totally going to make a run at Kevin Durant.

niko
06-22-2014, 09:02 AM
Funny how Jack's contract runs out for the 2016 Summer. The Nets are totally going to make a run at Kevin Durant.
Their strategy is stupid. No one is leaving their teams (that level a player) to play with barebones rosters. The Nets will have Deron and Plumlee and whatever rebuild they can do on the fly that year. You are going to have actual teams in the midst of rebuild (Lakers), teams with stars already but cap space (Clippers, and these are just two) and Durant at worst will have a really good team. But the Nets are all in till 2016 and then are rebuilding on the fly with crappy pieces and asking Durant to rebuild them.

Don't feel bad, when the Knicks did it for Lebron I was all WOOHOO WE MIGHT GET LEBRON. It was the same plan. Worked well.

Nets fan 93
06-22-2014, 10:24 AM
Not even being discussed according to the nets. (Via some of the journalists I follow)

Charlie Sheen
06-22-2014, 11:00 AM
If that's what it is, Jack was manning one of the trains in said wreck. He was an utter disaster in his one year as a Cavalier. Not only was his game totally redundant with Irving and Waiters, but he was brought in to be a leader yet provided no real veteran presence. In fact, he added to the locker room problems, reportedly, constantly complaining about his role in the offense.

Meanwhile, based on his play, he should have been benched midway through the season.

Jack isn't nearly as good as he thinks he is. I've never seen a player pass up so many wide open jumpers only to take two meaningless dribbles right into the teeth of the defense and "jack" up a horrible, low percentage heave. It was his trademark.

Let me put it like this... Undrafted rookie Mathew Dellavedova had far more impact and was much more of a "leader" than Jack during last season.

Here's what actually happened... since he was such a good fit in GS, the Cavs mistakenly thought he was a lot better than he is. Once he was taken out of that specific role on that specific team, he looked like the Jarrett Jack who put up 9 points and 3 assists on >41% back in 2011 before he got to Golden State.
just curious...

Was it fair to expect a guy with no championship pedigree or history with the franchise to assume a leadership role in his first year?

If you're a superstar nba player in your early 20's how willing would you be to listen to some retread that's been passed around the league?

Nail on the head in the last paragraph. I just want to add Jack was miscast in cleveland in a role to accelerate Kyrie's maturity. He had some cache in golden state after building trust and gaining responsibility from MJackson...that meant nothing in cleveland though. I love MikeBrown, think he gets a shit rep on this forum...being honest, he doesn't have the huge personality of Jax. And that was all too apparent when Jack didn't give a shit throughout the season cuz he had the security of 20millions guaranteed.

qrich
06-23-2014, 12:10 AM
As long as this increases the chances of Livingston leaving to come back home to the Clippers, I'm ecstatic.

ihatetimthomas
06-23-2014, 12:17 AM
How was Jack supposed to control the team and locker room when the anointed "franchise player" Kyrie Irving was the most immature player on the team? Plenty of things came out about him on his attitude problems and constant pouting. Thats quite the challenge to control a team where the best player leads the team in poor attitude.

qrich
06-23-2014, 12:19 AM
How was Jack supposed to control the team and locker room when the anointed "franchise player" Kyrie Irving was the most immature player on the team? Plenty of things came out about him on his attitude problems and constant pouting. Thats quite the challenge to control a team where the best player leads the team in poor attitude.

Basically.

You can't expect ONE guy to come in, and completely steer the train in the proper direction while the rest of the guys on the team are butting heads and everyone is out there playing for the name on the back, and none for the name on the front.

ihatetimthomas
06-23-2014, 12:26 AM
Basically.

You can't expect ONE guy to come in, and completely steer the train in the proper direction while the rest of the guys on the team are butting heads and everyone is out there playing for the name on the back, and none for the name on the front.

On top of that, there was so many outside things distracting everyone. Drama with Kyrie, the #1 pick looking like a bust, losing, etc. Maybe he could have done more, but I hardly blame him for not being able to take lead of the team. The Cavs were a mess last season.

andremiller07
06-23-2014, 05:31 AM
Could be a good trade for Cavs Thornton was a monster in his last contract year instead of being eMTpty.

ihatetimthomas
06-23-2014, 06:43 PM
Could be a good trade for Cavs Thornton was a monster in his last contract year instead of being eMTpty.

The cavs get to rid themselves of Jacks longer deal, which is probably the driving force for the Cavs to make the deal. He does seem like a guy who plays hard in contract years

Meticode
07-02-2014, 11:01 PM
Per Stein again these talks have re-opened. I expected they would. It gives the Cavaliers cap relief.

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/484530656299339776