PDA

View Full Version : Prime Garnett on this Spurs team instead of Duncan.

Upgrayedd
06-10-2014, 12:27 AM
Would this Spurs team destroy the Heat?

C: Splitter
PF: KG (prime)
SF: Leonard
SG: Green
PG: Parker

6th man: Ginobili

Milbuck
06-10-2014, 12:41 AM
Considering this Spurs team is good enough to beat Miami with 38 year old Duncan...I'd say yeah, they'd destroy Miami with 24/14/5/2/2 KG.

bigkingsfan
06-10-2014, 12:42 AM
Nope, bad spacing with KG being a jump shooter.

BallsOut
06-10-2014, 12:46 AM

You must have forgotten what KG did to the Kings in his prime. That sweet turnaround fadeaway jumper was money. In that 03-04 series, dude was gobbling up the Kings layups for dinner. Blocking and rebounding shots with one hand. His intensity was so insane that Lebron would've crumbled at his feet.

tpols
06-10-2014, 12:48 AM
KG would run circles around current bosh or birdman.. and is basically 6'11 kahi leanord on defense and would lock bran up. Spurs in 5.

fpliii
06-10-2014, 12:50 AM
KG's one of my all-time favorites, but he fell in love with that ****ing jumper. The series isn't over so I can't decide yet, but Duncan isn't the problem with these Spurs (if there is indeed a problem).

Rose'sACL
06-10-2014, 12:59 AM
KG's one of my all-time favorites, but he fell in love with that ****ing jumper. The series isn't over so I can't decide yet, but Duncan isn't the problem with these Spurs (if there is indeed a problem).
They also forget that other role players have developed more because duncan is older now and they get more touches because the spurs system is completely different now.
prime duncan was a better rim protector than prime KG and rim protection is what gives lebron problems.
I am not saying Garnett would do a poor job but duncan would do better.

Pointguard
06-10-2014, 01:02 AM
Lebron has been dribbling for a good 7 seconds EVERY time down court. And he still gets to penetrate. A definitely faster Kobe couldn't get to the rim with post prime Garnett at the command tower. KG would also be the best passer on this team. KG also moves a lot quicker than Splitter and Duncan giving Parker more options off of the PnR. KG was also a better rebounder than Duncan in their primes as well.

Fudge
06-10-2014, 01:05 AM
Spurs sweep.

JebronLames
06-10-2014, 01:06 AM
Heat in 4.

fpliii
06-10-2014, 01:13 AM
They also forget that other role players have developed more because duncan is older now and they get more touches because the spurs system is completely different now.
prime duncan was a better rim protector than prime KG and rim protection is what gives lebron problems.
I agree that Duncan was a better rim protector. He was actually still in his defensive prime in 07 when they met in the Finals, and even though the defense keyed on LeBron a ton with that shit cast, he still ran into Duncan in the paint. Even though LeBron is a much better post player and shooter now, he was about as effective driving to the basket in the half court back then (I could be wrong, but I think his numbers on drives are the same then and now), so I think it's a legitimate data point.

That being said, LeBron also faced prime KG once in the playoffs (his prime ended in 09 with that injury) in 08. Garnett was a big part of limiting LeBron in that series. Not as good a rim protector as Timmy, but a more mobile/versatile defender, and better at guarding the PnR (and not too bad locking down the paint).

Akrazotile
06-10-2014, 01:14 AM

This.

Nobody respects how Duncans deep post positioning basically sets up all of their shooters. What makes Duncan so effective is how close to the basket he can play. He gets consistent high % shots AND forces help to suck way inside. Bosh often has to suck real deep. Which he loves to do but in terms of basketball it opens up the floor.

A lot of baskets that Duncan doesnt get a statistical assist for originate on possessions where he started the defense rotating and eventually the ball moved to an open shooter.

Dude stays getting underrated. Prime KG is nice and all but this role would not suit him and its an insult to Timmy to suggest it would.

Pointguard
06-10-2014, 01:15 AM
Duncan hasn't come close to blocking a shot by Lebron. Faster/quick players have plenty of youtube space dunking or laying up on Duncan - Rose, Kobe and Lebron especially. Boston is what made Lebron leave Cleveland. Making Lebron think twice is the best defence against him. A quick team that doesn't let him dribble for 10 seconds, communicates and clamps down once he makes his move. A prime KG would be one of the best defenders on Lebron. KG is also a better communicator than Duncan.

tpols
06-10-2014, 01:16 AM
This.

Nobody respects how Duncans deep post positioning basically sets up all of their shooters. What makes Duncan so effective is how close to the basket he can play. He gets consistent high % shots AND forces help to suck way inside. Bosh often has to suck real deep. Which he loves to do but in terms of basketball it opens up the floor.

A lot of baskets that Duncan doesnt get a statistical assist for originate on possessions where he started the defense rotating and eventually the ball moved to an open shooter.

Dude stays getting underrated. Prime KG is nice and all but this role would not suit him and its an insult to Timmy to suggest it would.

How often do the spurs go to duncan iso on the low block? Most plays it's a PnR with duncan popping out to get the ball and swing it.. which KG could do even better than him if were talkin prime.. he just moves way faster and more effectively.

Akrazotile
06-10-2014, 01:23 AM
How often do the spurs go to duncan iso on the low block? Most plays it's a PnR with duncan popping out to get the ball and swing it.. which KG could do even better than him if were talkin prime.. he just moves way faster and more effectively.

Spurs run a lot of picknroll but Duncan still touches the ball a LOT in the post. It doesnt stick out as much because its not always 'iso' in the sense that he takes four dribbles and puts up a shot each time. A lot of times it gets thrown into him and he immediately throws it to someone else who is open or semi open, and then someone rotates to that guy and he makes another pass and then a shot goes up.

I dunno if theres anywhere to look up the stat but I bet if you looked at how many possessions go into Duncan in the post at some point when hes on the court it would be significant. Frankly they should be doing it even more. I think people underestimate his combination of core strength and wingspan. Its not just fundamentals, he can muscle his way deep into the post and has long enough arms that he just has to flick it up. Spurs should keep riding him and then some.

kureyşi-gospurs
06-10-2014, 03:46 AM
With prime Manu and prime Garnett the Heat would literally crumble. They would die of those two's intensity alone. No way would this series last longer than 4!

Flash31
06-10-2014, 06:31 AM
With prime Manu and prime Garnett the Heat would literally crumble. They would die of those two's intensity alone. No way would this series last longer than 4!

Well if we're doing hypotheticals

a Prime Wade and Prime Allen with the Heat Team and
Heat utterly decimate the Spurs in 4.It wouldn't be fair.

aj1987
06-10-2014, 06:37 AM
Well if we're doing hypotheticals

a Prime Wade and Prime Allen with the Heat Team and
Heat utterly decimate the Spurs in 4.It wouldn't be fair.
:oldlol:

Don't even need a prime Allen. Just put prime Wade on this team and Miami would make them quit after game 3.

DCL
06-10-2014, 07:03 AM
prime kg had inside game too, yall must have forgotten.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VQVYrtnYzs

T_L_P
06-10-2014, 07:10 AM
:oldlol:

Don't even need a prime Allen. Just put prime Wade on this team and Miami would make them quit after game 3.

Superstar Wade with Bron: loss to the clearly inferior Mavs.

Prime Wade and prime LeBron are anything but a perfect pairing.

aj1987
06-10-2014, 07:25 AM
Superstar Wade with Bron: loss to the clearly inferior Mavs.

Prime Wade and prime LeBron are anything but a perfect pairing.
LeBron just flat out disappeared in the Finals in '11. If he actually played like he did in the previous rounds, Miami would've swept the Mav's. They had a tough time figuring out their roles during the RS. You could see how absolutely destroyed the Celtics and Bulls in the Playoffs though.

ihoopallday
06-10-2014, 07:30 AM
LeBron just flat out disappeared in the Finals in '11. If he actually played like he did in the previous rounds, Miami would've swept the Mav's. They had a tough time figuring out their roles during the RS. You could see how absolutely destroyed the Celtics and Bulls in the Playoffs though.

This. LeBron gave Dallas that championship. End of story.

Anaximandro1
06-10-2014, 08:39 AM
is prime Garnett willing to accept $9 million annually?