PDA

View Full Version : Game fixing in the NBA. Possible?

deja vu
06-03-2014, 11:00 AM
I just read some article about match fixing in soccer. There's some huge gambling syndicates that earn billions of dollars every year fixing soccer matches such as international friendlies (don't know if they've infiltrated the World Cup or the major pro leagues). I'm kinda worried that these syndicates will turn their attention to the NBA and start paying off the referees to fix the games. Do you think that such a thing is possible? Sports betting is such a big business.

JohnFreeman
06-03-2014, 11:02 AM
http://blogcdn.photobiz.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Ice_cream_face2.gif

JohnMax
06-03-2014, 11:23 AM
http://www.animated-gifs.eu/kitchen-popcorn/0024.gif

Dr.J4ever
06-03-2014, 12:00 PM
I just read some article about match fixing in soccer. There's some huge gambling syndicates that earn billions of dollars every year fixing soccer matches such as international friendlies (don't know if they've infiltrated the World Cup or the major pro leagues). I'm kinda worried that these syndicates will turn their attention to the NBA and start paying off the referees to fix the games. Do you think that such a thing is possible? Sports betting is such a big business.

While it's theoretically possible for a ref to be bought, I just can't imagine it actually happening in the NBA. The NBA would take great care with it's name. After all, at the end of the day, this is all you really have with the NBA brand--that the games are honest and real. Without this, the NBA could collapse.

It's really that serious. If there was ever any doubt about the games, new businessmen could then enter the picture and form a new league, and players would join him. Without players, the NBA is nothing. In the NBA, players are kings. They dictate, and they can and will find the owners or new league they would want to belong to.

So you think the NBA would allow it's name to be sullied by rigging games for ratings? By rigging it so the Lakers could beat the Kings, and LA could be in the Finals? Any temporary potential gain could be nullified by a disastrous consequence.

If I were an NBA franchise owner, there is no way I would want the league as a whole to be doubted by any fan. In the sports business, perception is everything.

ZenMaster
06-03-2014, 12:01 PM
It's a lot more plauseable that it would happen in a small league where there is little money to begin with, for example the Romanian league.

gts
06-03-2014, 12:06 PM
It's a lot more plauseable that it would happen in a small league where there is little money to begin with, for example the Romanian league.

I agree, it has to be off the radar.. Vegas watches out for this type of thing, they want nothing to do with game fixing

NBAplayoffs2001
06-03-2014, 01:12 PM

:bowdown: Lucrative too. Doesn't really rely on the economy like other stocks do (I think Mark Cuban said something about trying to open one eventually). I think there are some hedge funds that do solely sports betting as their investments. There was in Europe that failed but I think there is one doing pretty well in Australia.

TylerOO
06-03-2014, 01:17 PM
There is definitely some rigging involved sometimes. But not every game like some of these idiots on here say. Vegas always has a phone by their side and will make a call if they need something.

LBJ4MVP23
06-03-2014, 01:17 PM
So everyone is going to pretend that the 2002 Lakers werent gifted the finals after game 6 and the 27 4th quarter fts in a game 7 6 point win?

That was 100% confirmed rigged. So much so that the NBA forbid Bavetta from speaking on it or addressing it.

Fudge
06-03-2014, 01:22 PM
2202 Lakers
http://media.giphy.com/media/v9G3NGByE9x16/giphy.gif

LBJ4MVP23
06-03-2014, 01:37 PM
edited.

But yes 200 years to the DAY the same scumbag rigging that occurred in 2002 will happen again in a lakers vs kings WCF.

russwest0
06-03-2014, 01:50 PM
So everyone is going to pretend that the 2002 Lakers werent gifted the finals after game 6 and the 27 4th quarter fts in a game 7 6 point win?

That was 100% confirmed rigged. So much so that the NBA forbid Bavetta from speaking on it or addressing it.

Bu, Bu.... Tim Donaghy!!!

(And yes, some idiots think Tim Donaghy somehow proves that the NBA ISN'T rigged)

AnaheimLakers24
06-03-2014, 02:13 PM
why do you think heat been winning titles? definitely not because of the players

russwest0
06-03-2014, 02:14 PM
why do you think heat been winning titles? definitely not because of the players

I don't think last year was too bad. Though that missed foul call on Ginobli in game 6, you know if that was LeBron he would have gotten the call.

2012 though yeah, thats an asterisk ring no doubt.

AnaheimLakers24
06-03-2014, 02:15 PM
edited.

But yes 200 years to the DAY the same scumbag rigging that occurred in 2002 will happen again in a lakers vs kings WCF.
ex"cavs" fan
get a life homo :roll:

BoutPractice
06-03-2014, 02:19 PM
At least a few "meaningless" regular season games are most likely rigged.

notatop29pg
06-03-2014, 04:29 PM
FIFA is a much larger sporting body than the NBA and everyone knows it happens there and in many soccer leagues. These guys don't care about consequences... they care about money.

What are the consequences anyway? They don't do time. .. they get a fine that is dwarfed by how much they made via the fixing.

outbreak
06-03-2014, 05:53 PM
I'm not really sure on this to be honest. Cricket is another sport that's had a lot of match fixing issues but they are largely caused by teams from countries that don't pay wages on par with the other nations (even if they do make substantially more than their own countries average wages). Also caused by the fact gambling on sports is illegal in India so there is a large number of illegal bookies running the bets and they allow you to bet on EVERYTHING which can lead to you betting on say the 10th ball bowled by a particular player being a no ball (an illegal ball) which can easily be set up by the player deliberately and they can justify it by saying one bad ball won't change the outcome of the game. Cricket match fixing can be (and has been) punished by prison time, lifetime bans and has lead to death threats and attacks on players families in their home country but some players still do it.

I suppose if there's bookies around who let you bet on a player missing a certain number of shots or some other variable that a player can actually control then it's possible. There has been points shaving scandals in the NCAA before.

Refs being one sided is a different issue though, that's the NBA trying to control the leagues marketing of certain players and certain teams, while I don't think it goes as far as completely rigging a game it has turned the momentum of big games before.

Adam Silver
06-03-2014, 05:57 PM
Take it from me: It is more than possible.