PDA

View Full Version : With all this "rigging" allegations, we are forgetting one thing...

iamgine
05-04-2014, 11:59 PM
The teams and players aren't complaining as loud as the fans.

Far from it.

Who should be more outraged if an apparent rigging is going on? The losing teams lose money if they don't advance and potentially much more. Real things are at stake. Unlike the fans who only lose their "heart".

Are we to believe that the billionaire owners and organizations of each team haven't look extensively into this?

Are we to believe someone like Marc Cuban would accept it if there's any shred of truth for fear of sanctions?

Sure there's 2002 WCF that's iffy, but then there's everything else.

livinglegend
05-05-2014, 12:00 AM

Far from it.

Who should be more outraged if an apparent rigging is going on? The losing teams lose money if they don't advance and potentially much more. Real things are at stake. Unlike the fans who only lose their "heart".

Are we to believe that the billionaire owners and organizations of each team haven't look extensively into this?

Are we to believe someone like Marc Cuban would accept it if there's any shred of truth for fear of sanctions?

they cant they will get fined. Kidd did BTW and got fined.

PJR
05-05-2014, 12:04 AM
NBA fandom: Where conspiracy theories about officiating and the draft make belief in Big Foot or UFOs seem rational.

gts
05-05-2014, 12:09 AM
If a fan honestly thinks the league is rigged and they still watch the games and then complain some more...lol

That fan is a total idiot

livinglegend
05-05-2014, 12:12 AM
If a fan honestly thinks the league is rigged and they still watch the games and then complain some more...lol

Not rigged, influenced.
Instead of closing your eyes you could call them out on their games influencing and make them change that.

iamgine
05-05-2014, 12:33 AM
As I said,

russwest0
05-05-2014, 12:35 AM

Just a question. How do you explain Joey Crawford officiating the Finals every year since 1986?

gts
05-05-2014, 12:46 AM
Just a question. How do you explain Joey Crawford officiating the Finals every year since 1986?

Seniority, it's no secret the more senior EXPERIECED officials get the more important games

too easy..

russwest0
05-05-2014, 12:49 AM
Seniority, it's no secret the more senior EXPERIECED officials get the more important games

too easy..

He wasn't anywhere close to the most senior official in 1986.

Akrazotile
05-05-2014, 12:50 AM

Far from it.

I have said this exact thing for a long time. Owners pony up a ton of money to buy teams. And most teams' profit margins are probably much less significant than what that owner could make if he had invested that $550M elsewhere.

Rich guys buy NBA teams because they enjoy the competitive aspect. Why would any of the owners of teams that arent the Lakers, Knicks, Heat, Bulls, Celtics let the commissioner who is their EMPLOYEE rig games against a team they paid hundreds of millions of dollars to buy try and win a title with?

Moreover Im pretty sure rigging games is ILLEGAL and considering the NBAs meticulous concern over its imagine, it seems very unlikely it would take such a tremendous risk.

Im not saying it hasnt ever happened, but after literally every sigle playoff series now, no matter who wins, there are people claiming it was only due to nba influence.

Like if the Thunder win people say its fixed, the NBA wants Durant to move on. If the Grizz had won, people would literally be claiming the NBA fixed it so that Durant would be more likely to leave for LA when his contract is up.

Its embarrassing.

gts
05-05-2014, 12:50 AM
Not rigged, influenced.
Instead of closing your eyes you could call them out on their games influencing and make them change that.

My suggestion to you is quit watching, I have no problem with how the games are called and you have no proof to back up your claims

Do they make bad calls, of course, it's an impossible game to ref because more than half the calls are judgmental but that's not going to change because of the nature of the sport so if you can't watch the game without feeling their rigged go watch bowling or something

russwest0
05-05-2014, 12:52 AM
My suggestion to you is quit watching, I have no problem with how the games are called and you have no proof to back up your claims

Do they make bad calls, of course, it's an impossible game to ref because more than half the calls are judgmental but that's not going to change because of the nature of the sport so if you can't watch the game without feeling their rigged go watch bowling or something

Even though if you watch various series', say, in 1993, 2001, 2002, 2006, etc, you will see the officials heavily favoring one team, I'll just go with the "go to" series that even people such as yourself typically believe was rigged.

How do you explain the 2002 WCF?

gts
05-05-2014, 12:55 AM

I don't have to because I don't think it was rigged...

russwest0
05-05-2014, 01:03 AM

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

All I needed to see.

mugiwara
05-05-2014, 01:21 AM
The hawks get jobbed out the playoffs every year. Unfortunately they have no fans to notice the 'rigging'.

reppy
05-05-2014, 01:34 AM
The NBA, and its owners, and the networks, all have a financial incentive in extending the series.

If you wanted to influence a game it wouldn't be all that hard. My guess is that on damn near any given play you could call several violations.

And guys like Mark Cuban have spent a lot of ****ing money to determine the tendencies of refs. I'm also pretty sure he has been fined MILLIONS over the course of his time for being so outspoken about refs.

Who holds the refs accountable? Where's the transparency?

You really can't just assume that they're so scared about the public backlash. They know how to handle this shit. Guys like David Stern "know where the bodies are buried."

The truth is that we really don't know if games are being influenced in any number of ways.

west_tip
05-05-2014, 02:17 AM
Even though if you watch various series', say, in 1993, 2001, 2002, 2006, etc, you will see the officials heavily favoring one team, I'll just go with the "go to" series that even people such as yourself typically believe was rigged.

Kings still win the series if they make their FT's in game 7.

ImKobe
05-05-2014, 02:39 AM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

All I needed to see.

The Queens had so many opportunities to win that series and they choked each one away....C-Webb leaving Horry wide open from 3 in Game 4, all the missed FTs in a Game 7, that they lost in OT, Peja AIRBALLING a WIDE OPEN CORNER THREE at the end of the 4th quarter in Game 7..Queens missed 14 out of 30 FTs in Game 7, which was decided in OT :applause:

but let's blame the refs because Queens didn't play like garbage in crunch time on their own damn home floor and the refs gave Robert Horry that wide open three-pointer.

Kobe was sick in that Game 7, 30 pts 10 reb 7 ast 2 stl 0 TO, made the clutch FTs to force OT and the clutch FTs to ice the game in OT.

aj1987
05-05-2014, 02:40 AM
Don't bother with that guy. Once you bring up FACTS, that guy will go Chernobyl.

Real14
05-05-2014, 04:38 AM
Tha players and owners are in it dats Why.

Marchesk
05-05-2014, 09:00 AM

Doesn't change the perception of game 6 though. Even had Ralph Nader wanting a review.

rezznor
05-05-2014, 09:10 AM

Far from it.

last time van gundy complained about officiating, he got fined 100k...

Blackisbig
05-05-2014, 09:39 AM
Only morons believe the games are actually rigged by the refs. It's really just delusional fans in EVERY sport that can't justify their team losing fair and square and so they have to pull out the almighty ref card. This isn't a basketball only phenomenon, but happens in fanbases across every major sport.

livinglegend
05-05-2014, 10:45 AM

Dont play dumb. Deep down yourself you know that the refs favor one team over another because of ratings/money.
How do you explain Lakers playoffs run last year? Are you saying that it was a coincidence that all the bad calls were going in favor of the Lakers? It was a coincidence that Lakers got 50 fts in a very crucial game for their playoffs run? It was a coincidence that Mavs and Jazz who were fighting for a playoffs spot with the Lakers went from something like 10/11 in FTA to last and 2nd to last in the last 1/3 of the year ?

Come on, dont play dumb.

livinglegend
05-05-2014, 10:48 AM

so that justifies the rigging of game 6?

The NBA didnt necessarily want the Lakers to win. They wanted to extend the series and by doing so, they costed Kings a championship.

HoopsFanNumero1
05-05-2014, 10:52 AM

Lakers fans in a nutshell :rolleyes:

There wouldn't be a game 7 if the Kings hadn't gotten jobbed in game 6.

Dro
05-05-2014, 10:57 AM
The hawks get jobbed out the playoffs every year. Unfortunately they have no fans to notice the 'rigging'.
Please, every Hawk fan on this forum besides 1 did nothing but b*tch about the refs the entire first round, despite the fact that through 6 games, they had attempted 28 more free throw's than Indiana..."But, but, its not about the number of free throws, its about when they were called!!":rolleyes:

But people who b*tch about refs don't do any research because 8/10 times they'll be proven wrong...Its much easier to b*tch about the refs...Bunch of lazy b-ball fans..:no:

Dresta
05-05-2014, 11:07 AM
I've often felt these playoffs that the refs have favoured the team that is behind, to keep the games close and make them more exciting. The motivating factor is there also considering many are calling for 1st round series to be reduced to 5 games.

livinglegend
05-05-2014, 11:08 AM
Please, every Hawk fan on this forum besides 1 did nothing but b*tch about the refs the entire first round, despite the fact that through 6 games, they had attempted 28 more free throw's than Indiana..."But, but, its not about the number of free throws, its about when they were called!!":rolleyes:

But people who b*tch about refs don't do any research because 8/10 times they'll be proven wrong...Its much easier to b*tch about the refs...Bunch of lazy b-ball fans..:no:

Here s a research on Lakers playoffs run last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MhmGyZ7KF0

PJR
05-05-2014, 11:10 AM
Only morons believe the games are actually rigged by the refs. It's really just delusional fans in EVERY sport that can't justify their team losing fair and square and so they have to pull out the almighty ref card. This isn't a basketball only phenomenon, but happens in fanbases across every major sport.

:applause:

stanlove1111
05-05-2014, 11:19 AM

Do you even have a point with this?

2002 game 6 was rigged and there is no doubt about it.

The NBA deserves its rep for rigging games. No heads rolled because of 2002. And even if you read this site you will see people saying Kobe won 5 titles and Shaq won 4. It was pushed under the carpet and a lot of people let it happen.

Relinquish
05-05-2014, 11:24 AM
Here s a research on Lakers playoffs run last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MhmGyZ7KF0

I cannot believe they left out the GSW game. That was the most rigged of them all. :facepalm

livinglegend
05-05-2014, 11:26 AM
I cannot believe they left out the GSW game. That was the most rigged of them all. :facepalm

The video was made before that game. I agree that GSW game was the worst.

gts
05-05-2014, 11:31 AM
Doesn't change the perception of game 6 though. Even had Ralph Nader wanting a review.

You don't see Laker fans whining and bitching like little girls over game 5 where Kobe and Shaq were in foul trouble the whole game and the Kings shot 10 more free throws... but oh noes the game 6

All in all the Kings shot 204 FTs to the the Lakers 185

Kings choked away the series at the free throw line shooting 65%

but but but it was rigged:lol

livinglegend
05-05-2014, 11:34 AM
You don't see Laker fans whining and bitching like little girls over game 5 where Kobe and Shaq were in foul trouble the whole game and the Kings shot 10 more free throws... but oh noes the game 6

still doesnt justify the rigging of game 6.
Bringing the other games wont change the fact that game 6 was rigged and that refs decided the outcome the game.

stanlove1111
05-05-2014, 12:16 PM

..Just pointing out who shot more foul shots as proof of anything is rediculous. Don't care how many foul shots someone took, all I care about was whether there were bad calls or not. In game 6 fact is it was bad call after bad call. It was obviously fixed and someone went to jail for it. Why the hell would you compare that to game 5..

Blue&Orange
05-05-2014, 12:37 PM
The "rigging" allegations is just a lebrontard's agenda, because guess what they are RETARDS and they are struggling with the fact that Durant is going to kick Lebron out of the top10.

And because this forum is full of impressionable retards the idiocy spread to the other series.

Last time i checked was game 4 and memphis and OKC were basically shooting the same amount of ft's and everyone was crying rigging for some reason.

Funny that last year when the pacers shot 5x more ft's that the Knicks in game six when in the previous 8 games they shot basically the same, nobody cared.

FLDFSU
05-05-2014, 12:49 PM
I have said this exact thing for a long time. Owners pony up a ton of money to buy teams. And most teams' profit margins are probably much less significant than what that owner could make if he had invested that $550M elsewhere.

Rich guys buy NBA teams because they enjoy the competitive aspect. Why would any of the owners of teams that arent the Lakers, Knicks, Heat, Bulls, Celtics let the commissioner who is their EMPLOYEE rig games against a team they paid hundreds of millions of dollars to buy try and win a title with?

Moreover Im pretty sure rigging games is ILLEGAL and considering the NBAs meticulous concern over its imagine, it seems very unlikely it would take such a tremendous risk.

Im not saying it hasnt ever happened, but after literally every sigle playoff series now, no matter who wins, there are people claiming it was only due to nba influence.

Like if the Thunder win people say its fixed, the NBA wants Durant to move on. If the Grizz had won, people would literally be claiming the NBA fixed it so that Durant would be more likely to leave for LA when his contract is up.

Its embarrassing.

:applause:

Your other point about the Owners could easily be countered with NBA Owners understanding that it is best for business for LA to make the Finals every year, and therefore making them more money in the long run. For example, Dan Gilbert was not upset that the Lakers would be vastly superior if the acquired Chris Paul, but Gilbert was upset that the Lakers would acquire another max player while also lowing their tax rate with the Paul trade. Gilbert didn't care about Paul going to the Lakers per se, he cared that the Lakers-- with the trade-- would get better while not having to pay as much in taxes.

But the bolded part is spot on. Literally every possible match-up you can make up some reason why the league rigged it to produce said result. The same thing will happen when the Lottery is determined. No matter who wins it, the league will be accused of rigging it. You are right, its embarrassing.

gts
05-05-2014, 01:26 PM
..Just pointing out who shot more foul shots as proof of anything is rediculous. Don't care how many foul shots someone took, all I care about was whether there were bad calls or not. In game 6 fact is it was bad call after bad call.

http://www.82games.com/lakerskingsgame6.htm

aj1987
05-05-2014, 02:59 PM
http://www.82games.com/lakerskingsgame6.htm
As I said earlier, ignore those idiots.

Jailblazers7
05-05-2014, 03:08 PM

Its embarrassing.

I do wonder what the return looks like from an NBA owner's perspective but I've got to imagine that it is a pretty low risk venture. Public subsidy for the capital portion of the business, league revenue sharing, a restrictive salary cap that helps limit salary expenses, and pretty nice growth potential. The risk profile has to make owning a team a pretty sweet deal plus the cachet you get from owning a team.

But yeah, the NBA isn't rigged. There is such thing as human error in officiating. If people want to see truly awful refs, then I suggest they watch a college basketball game.

cltcfn2924
05-05-2014, 03:20 PM
Ok, if you're all done here is my penny. The perception is that the NBA is rigged. There is no denying that fact. Silver did a great job of changing that this year, how do you explain that? Portland, Washington and almost Atlanta pulled off upsets and were able to play on level ground, something which would never happen under Herr Stern. Good strides made against the predictability we were so used to.

Demitri98
05-05-2014, 03:23 PM
NBA is a business first, a sport second. Big markets winning = more money in the owners' pockets.

Dro
05-05-2014, 04:00 PM
Indiana Free throws attempted - 159
Atlanta Free throws attempted - 174

Indiana 3 pointers attempted - 149
Atlanta 3 pointers attempted - 230

Team launches 3 pointers all series and still gets more free throws despite Indiana having HCA and somehow the league still cheated for the Pacers, rofl.

:confusedshrug: