PDA

View Full Version : Raptors Earned a lot of respect today

The JKidd Kid
05-04-2014, 03:58 PM
Even though most of their fans are Whiney assholes(minus Reds1 and Legends). The raptors were really impressive. Never gave up and showed toughness, poise and the ability to execute when it mattered most. They're going to be a tough team to face in the future. What a great series. :applause:

navy
05-04-2014, 04:00 PM
They lost in the first round in a weak conference. Not much to say about the team. Hopefully Lowry, Ross, and Derozan get good enough to become higher tier stars. Only then will they have any sort of chance.

rknine15
05-04-2014, 04:03 PM
jonas valanciunas sucks.... trade that sob for a bag of peanuts

lpublic_enemyl
05-04-2014, 04:04 PM
can't blame the refs that was a good game they went down fighting. it's a young team they have got a lot to build off

Foster5k
05-04-2014, 04:05 PM
Raptors didn't earn any respect. They still lost in the first round. Lmao. They had a chance to win and blew it on poor execution. Lowry vs the entire Nets squad isn't how you want to win a game 7 and advance. There should have been a better play called, etc.

The Nets got what they wanted. A team they could beat. Barely, I might add.

Now, the Heat are licking their chops. You have Lebron, in his prime, versus a battered old Nets team that could barely shake the Raptors.

Miami in 5. I'll give the Nets one game at home that's it.

Qwyjibo
05-04-2014, 04:08 PM
First round losses almost never mean anything in the long-run. The Raptors still need to improve their talent on the floor. That will matter far more than any "respect" or experience.

red1
05-04-2014, 04:09 PM
thanks bro

uber
05-04-2014, 04:12 PM
A Nets team with so much experience was just too much this year. But they will learn from it and come back stronger. Atleast they put up a fight.

smoovegittar
05-04-2014, 04:13 PM
Props to the Raps for turning it around. A few tweaks and they'll be right back in it next year. I really enjoyed the passion of the Rap fans in the home games.

NumberSix
05-04-2014, 04:14 PM
Raps > thunders

Kiddlovesnets
05-04-2014, 04:15 PM
Indeed, they put up a much better fight than they did back in 2007. Thumb up to the Raptors, they are a respectful opponent.
:cheers:

WallIn
05-04-2014, 04:15 PM
Great fanbase

Real14
05-04-2014, 04:17 PM
you got lucky as hell today:oldlol:

Kujo
05-04-2014, 04:19 PM
First round losses almost never mean anything in the long-run. The Raptors still need to improve their talent on the floor. That will matter far more than any "respect" or experience.

This.

Off season priorities:

- re-sign Lowy. I honestly don't care what it cost. Just get it done. If he's not on the roster next year, I doubt we make the playoffs.

- re-sign Vasquez. At the very least, find another good back-up PG.

- re-sign Patterson. An absolute must imho.

- sign a quality back-up PF & C (maybe be able to address one those spots in the draft).

I think we need to consider trading T-Ross if there is a deal out there to improve our roster this off-season.

Kiddlovesnets
05-04-2014, 04:19 PM
you got lucky as hell today:oldlol:

just like your shitty team got lucky enough to be still able to contend for the last playoffs spot, although miracle did not happen in the end. Sucks for you, man.

Real14
05-04-2014, 04:21 PM
just like your shitty team got lucky enough to be still able to contend for the last playoffs spot, although miracle did not happen in the end. Sucks for you, man.

stop being salty and accept tha fact yall got lucky:facepalm

Burgz V2
05-04-2014, 04:23 PM
me today

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/228/791/632.gif

Qwyjibo
05-04-2014, 04:24 PM
I think we need to consider trading T-Ross if there is a deal out there to improve our roster this off-season.
I agree. Ross should be shopped around. I just don't know what his value could be.

I don't think they'll be able to re-sign Vasquez. It would be nice to have him back but I think he'll get a better deal than the QO and you just can't spend too much money on a bench player.

I'd love for the Raptors to get a starting caliber SF somehow. Maybe get lucky in the draft?

blablabla
05-04-2014, 04:35 PM
I agree. Ross should be shopped around. I just don't know what his value could be.

I don't think they'll be able to re-sign Vasquez. It would be nice to have him back but I think he'll get a better deal than the QO and you just can't spend too much money on a bench player.

I'd love for the Raptors to get a starting caliber SF somehow. Maybe get lucky in the draft?
Deng?, Ariza? i don't know what kind of Money they would command tho, maybe full MLE

Imtheman
05-04-2014, 04:39 PM
If only they had a legit 7'0 big men who could rebound and protect the paint, Joe Johnson was having his way at one point in the game. :coleman:

Legends66NBA7
05-04-2014, 04:39 PM
This.

Off season priorities:

- re-sign Lowy. I honestly don't care what it cost. Just get it done. If he's not on the roster next year, I doubt we make the playoffs.

- sign a quality back-up PF & C (maybe be able to address one those spots in the draft).

You for the most important one... Don't pick up the damn option for John Salmons.

:oldlol:

Also, yeah, I think Ross might be on the trading block but we'll see. Getting a true SF that can defend his mandatory. I wish we had James Johnson in this series.

Legends66NBA7
05-04-2014, 04:41 PM
If only they had a legit 7'0 big men who could rebound and protect the paint, Joe Johnson was having his way at one point in the game. :coleman:

Foul trouble and missing defensive assignments. We made our run without Val. Amir did much a better job than Val today and with Patterson out at the same time, it helps the versatility in the lineup.

Val is a long was from a finished product, so I do expect him to improve next year. I expect all our young talent to improve and take the next step.

ZHAKIDD532
05-04-2014, 04:42 PM
DeMar DeRozan is really good. I've always liked Amir Johnson and when he played well so did Toronto. But Kyle Lowry is a giant ass. He complains on EVERY call.

kaiteng
05-04-2014, 04:45 PM
DeMar DeRozan is really good. I've always liked Amir Johnson and when he played well so did Toronto. But Kyle Lowry is a giant ass. He complains on EVERY call.
But Lowry has been the guy who moves the team forward, even more than Derozan TBH.

Done_And_Done
05-04-2014, 04:46 PM

That's part of his shtick. He constantly makes a concerted effort to work the refs ala Jason Kidd during his entire career. If you're a fan of an opposing team it's understandably exasperating but love it while he's wearing your teams jersey.

Done_And_Done
05-04-2014, 04:48 PM
We desperately need to acquire a SF who can hold his own on the offensive end. JJ torched the shorts off every player not named Landry Fields all series. His inept offensive game makes him a constant liability out there though.

Qwyjibo
05-04-2014, 04:50 PM
We desperately need to acquire a SF who can hold his own on the offensive end. JJ torched the shorts off every player not named Landry Fields all series. His inept offensive game makes him a constant liability out there though.
Fields is just a contract they have to wait out. The guy is garbage. Not Salmons-level garbage but close enough.

I thought Ross' D was overrated all year but I was impressed with the emergence of his 3pt shot. He's just so limited offensively beyond that though. I don't see him as a starter in the NBA.

Done_And_Done
05-04-2014, 04:55 PM
Fields is just a contract they have to wait out. The guy is garbage. Not Salmons-level garbage but close enough.

I thought Ross' D was overrated all year but I was impressed with the emergence of his 3pt shot. He's just so limited offensively beyond that though. I don't see him as a starter in the NBA.

I'm still on the fence about Ross but I comprehend your scepticism. He shows glimmers of strength combined with solid stretches of consistent play and then balances that off with all kinds of question mark play. I'm curious to see what comes of his game next year though.

And you're dead on about the other 2...

Done_And_Done
05-04-2014, 04:56 PM
Q, what do you suppose we do with Casey now?

Legends66NBA7
05-04-2014, 04:57 PM
Q, what do you suppose we do with Casey now?

Not that you asked me, but I think he will get retained. Personally, would try to find a coach that runs better offensive sets and has competent defensive schemes.

Legends66NBA7
05-04-2014, 05:02 PM
I'm still on the fence about Ross but I comprehend your scepticism. He shows glimmers of strength combined with solid stretches of consistent play and then balances that off with all kinds of question mark play. I'm curious to see what comes of his game next year though.

And you're dead on about the other 2...

There was a comparison on who to keep for the future between Ross and DeRozan. Before the regular season, both were keepers and some even considered Ross. Now that the playoffs are over, I don't see how DeRozan is the one who get shopped.

SF's have been undersized before, but it's the mental aspect of Ross's game that worries me. It took him till the final games of this series to get it going on offense. Plus, DeRozan and Ross are only 1 year apart from age, but DeRozan is just mentally tougher player who makes much better in game adjustments and next game adjustments. Ross also seems to be a player that would excel better on a team that plays in the open court better.

I would say for now to just improve the bench overall. Need to bring back Vasquez and Patterson, mandatory. Then, bring in a SF that can defend and handle the ball, along with a C that can score and rim protect.

tjgoHAM
05-04-2014, 05:03 PM
they started from the bottom now they here...

... still at the bottom

Qwyjibo
05-04-2014, 05:07 PM
Not that you asked me, but I think he will get retained. Personally, would try to find a coach that runs better offensive sets and has competent defensive schemes.
How dare you answer my question?!?!

But yeah I agree. I also think Casey stays. I don't think he's a good coach nor a terrible one. He's just in that huge "middle-class" of NBA coaches that are all basically interchangeable. Because of that, I don't think he gets a long deal but for familiarity sake, they'll bring him back on maybe a 2 year deal with a 3rd option year. He doesn't have any leverage to get anything better. If someone else wants to give him a better contract, let him walk.

Done_And_Done
05-04-2014, 05:58 PM

I agree. Casey rubs me as a decent motivator who based off the success his team achieved this year stands a good chance at being resigned.

Do I think that's the best decision for the team though? No I do not. We've got something here, and I'm not convinced he's the guy I want championing this ship. His rotations at the best of times have been suspect.

Curious to see how Masai handles this...

Done_And_Done
05-04-2014, 05:59 PM
How dare you answer my question?!?!

But yeah I agree. I also think Casey stays. I don't think he's a good coach nor a terrible one. He's just in that huge "middle-class" of NBA coaches that are all basically interchangeable. Because of that, I don't think he gets a long deal but for familiarity sake, they'll bring him back on maybe a 2 year deal with a 3rd option year. He doesn't have any leverage to get anything better. If someone else wants to give him a better contract, let him walk.

Very well stated. I completely agree...

Done_And_Done
05-04-2014, 06:06 PM
There was a comparison on who to keep for the future between Ross and DeRozan. Before the regular season, both were keepers and some even considered Ross. Now that the playoffs are over, I don't see how DeRozan is the one who get shopped.

SF's have been undersized before, but it's the mental aspect of Ross's game that worries me. It took him till the final games of this series to get it going on offense. Plus, DeRozan and Ross are only 1 year apart from age, but DeRozan is just mentally tougher player who makes much better in game adjustments and next game adjustments. Ross also seems to be a player that would excel better on a team that plays in the open court better.

I would say for now to just improve the bench overall. Need to bring back Vasquez and Patterson, mandatory. Then, bring in a SF that can defend and handle the ball, along with a C that can score and rim protect.

You're dead on about his mental fortitude or lack thereof. I question whether he has the psychological makeup to ensure he ever reaches his ceiling of potential. With that said, the talent is certainly there. While him and DD are only a year apart in age, they seem decades apart in terms of mental prowess (although I do recognize that DD has 3 years on him in terms of NBA experience)

D-FENS
05-04-2014, 06:18 PM
This.

Off season priorities:

Only a retard from Barrie would think like that. Lowry, Vasquez and Patterson are not going to win you anything.

What they really need is to swing for he fences and to try bring in a guy like Paul Millsap and Kyle Korver. Trade the Hawks a future 1st and Terrence Ross and whatever else is needed outside of Lowry, Derozan and Big V.

hawksdogsbraves
05-04-2014, 06:24 PM
The Raptors really impressed me this season. Between their success and the way their fans rallied around the team, it was truly impressive.

That being said, it's going to be really tough for them to actually put together a team that can compete for a championship. Losing in the first round to a mediocre Nets is a disappointing way to end the season for sure.

Losing Lowry would be a big loss, but signing him to a big deal would probably be worse for their overall chances.

niko
05-04-2014, 06:37 PM
Basically you are back to argue with Fresh Kid this playoffs just like last playoffs. Never to comment really on the games, just to go back and forth? For real? Again?

You know he's retarded right?

n00bie
05-04-2014, 07:07 PM
Only a retard from Barrie would think like that. Lowry, Vasquez and Patterson are not going to win you anything.

What they really need is to swing for he fences and to try bring in a guy like Paul Millsap and Kyle Korver. Trade the Hawks a future 1st and Terrence Ross and whatever else is needed outside of Lowry, Derozan and Big V.

Really? Kyle korver? :no:

niko
05-04-2014, 07:10 PM
BTW, this is a bit of a diss from the Net fans. I don't think they think it is, but it kind of is. The Raptors finished a few games ahead of them, but losing to the Nets "earns respect". :lol

Winners get to do this though...

The Iron Sheik
05-04-2014, 07:16 PM

this guy said lowry, vasquez and patterson aren't winning shit but then says you should "swing for the fences" by trading for kyle ****ing korver and paul milsap :oldlol:

bluechox2
05-04-2014, 07:28 PM
one and done season...should have focused more on the lottery and fortify their lineup with a pick that could make them more dominant

Legends66NBA7
05-04-2014, 08:22 PM

You probably should stop talking about the Raptors altogether. Weren't you the guy who suggested this before ?

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9358029&postcount=175

I would trade Granger and future picks for Lowry and DeRozan. Then enquire about Andrew Bynum.

That would be enough to really hurt the Heat, maybe even a 4-0 sweep to Indiana. Most of all, their DEFENSE would rock.

PG: Lowry/ Hill/ Watson
SG: Stephenson/ DeRozan
SF: George/ Hill
PF: West/ Scola
CT: Hibbert/ Bynum/ Mahinmi

YOWZERS!

And then made a thread about how they should trade Lowry for a 1st rounder and Ian Mahinmi that got deleted.

Also, this is your definition of a "lucrative free agent":

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9843665&postcount=16

Fudge outta here, eh!

Mugsy Bogues (washed up)
Mark Jackson (washed up)
Del Curry (washed up)
Hedo Turkoglu (was terrible, fat pizza eater)
Rafer Alston (overrated and over paid)
Linas Kleiza (was terrible)
Landry Fields (totally overpaid - big time backfire)

Those are the top free agent signings in Raptor history, haha.

Now, that's the same thing with the Korver/Millsap suggestion. Neither the above post has anybody that states were "lucrative" nor "swinging for the fences". That would just be the stupidity of the management like Q mentioned.

Korver and Millsap wouldn't be swinging for the fences for the same reason those above players weren't swinging for the fences. Signing big time names like a Kevin Durant or LeBron James would be swinging for the fences and lucrative. Toronto has never gambled that high, though.

Legends66NBA7
05-04-2014, 08:27 PM
BTW, this is a bit of a diss from the Net fans. I don't think they think it is, but it kind of is. The Raptors finished a few games ahead of them, but losing to the Nets "earns respect". :lol

Winners get to do this though...

Don't see anyone who should really care that much about it.

one and done season...should have focused more on the lottery and fortify their lineup with a pick that could make them more dominant

There's no guarantee it would have made us more dominant. Infact, you can still be dominant through trades and FA signings, which they will have cap room upcoming in the offseason and future seasons. The team already has 3 original draft picks starting in the lineup along with 2 sophomores.

jzek
05-04-2014, 08:44 PM
If you lose in the first round, you get zero respect. I gained more respect for the Nets.

Black Mamba's B
05-04-2014, 09:05 PM
They have a gay fan base but better luck next year

CelticBaller
05-04-2014, 09:08 PM
They have a gay fan base but better luck next year
:coleman:

Raptors fans are cool af

Black Mamba's B
05-04-2014, 09:12 PM

Raptors fans are cool af

Trail blazers fans are solid.
The one raptor fan I've seen on here is an idiot

Legends66NBA7
05-04-2014, 09:51 PM
The one raptor fan I've seen on here is an idiot

Might want to say his name if your going to talk shit.

JohnFreeman
05-04-2014, 09:55 PM
Fan base made Brooklyn look casual

BurningHammer
05-04-2014, 11:18 PM
The only reason that may earn Raps some respects is that this maybe one of the best 1st round in NBA Playoff history and Raps are one who were hanging in there to game 7 among others.

D-FENS
05-05-2014, 06:55 AM
You probably should stop talking about the Raptors altogether. Weren't you the guy who suggested this before ?

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9358029&postcount=175

And then made a thread about how they should trade Lowry for a 1st rounder and Ian Mahinmi that got deleted.

I'm looking forward to being able to buy you a brain for Christmas. If you think Lowry is such a big piece, you're in for constant disappointment. It's like building your team around Rod Strickland or Mitch Richmond. I made those trade posts back in January, when the Raps still could have decided to tank into the lottery. This team won't go anywhere unless they have a lot of internal development - and I don't see that happening.

Also, this is your definition of a "lucrative free agent":

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9843665&postcount=16

I think you're mistaken again. I was mocking the Raptors free agent history. It's terrible, look at it. Paul Millsap signing here, or being traded here would be the biggest get in franchise history other than trading Jamison for Carter.

Now, that's the same thing with the Korver/Millsap suggestion. Neither the above post has anybody that states were "lucrative" nor "swinging for the fences". That would just be the stupidity of the management like Q mentioned.

Korver and Millsap wouldn't be swinging for the fences for the same reason those above players weren't swinging for the fences. Signing big time names like a Kevin Durant or LeBron James would be swinging for the fences and lucrative. Toronto has never gambled that high, though.

Signing Korver and Millsap is swining for the fences, because you're committing to this flawed core. You're taking a wild swing hoping it pays off. I don't think you understand what "swinging for the fences" means, but being from Toronto and a probable Blue Jays fan, I can understand your lack of baseball terminology comprehension.

Anyway, Korver and Millsap aren't free agents. The Raps would need to trade Salmons (expiring), Fields (expiring), Ross and first. Why does this work?
CT: Valanciunas
PF: Millsap/ Johnson
SF: Korver
SG: DeRozan
PG: Lowry/ Vasquez

Millsap and Korver bring spacing and versatility. This opens up the lane further for Lowry and DeRozan. If Valanciunas and DeRozan continue to improve, this team could be a top 4 seed for the next 5-6 years with this core. Even when the east becomes competitive again.

becken
05-05-2014, 07:22 AM
thanks bro

Legends66NBA7
05-05-2014, 03:14 PM
I'm looking forward to being able to buy you a brain for Christmas.

Try finding yours first, kid.

If you think Lowry is such a big piece, you're in for constant disappointment. It's like building your team around Rod Strickland or Mitch Richmond.

Except for the fact that we aren't building around Lowry. If you followed the Raptors, you would know this. The main young core right now is Valanciunas, DeRozan, and Ross. Since Valanciunas is the youngest piece and has the most potential, he's the most likely to be built around. Lowry just happens to be the best player on the team, who will be a great leader for Val.

I made those trade posts back in January, when the Raps still could have decided to tank into the lottery. This team won't go anywhere unless they have a lot of internal development - and I don't see that happening.

The Raptors weren't going to tank into the lottery and get a Top 3-5 pick even if James Dolan doesn't veto the trade. There were too many horrible teams that it would be pointless to tank. Even the Bulls were supposed to tank and ended up with a Top 4 seed.

Internal development ? Like what, adding more talent ? The core continuing to develop ?

They most likely will do this since everyone on the team gets along and have cap space.

I think you're mistaken again. I was mocking the Raptors free agent history. It's terrible, look at it. Paul Millsap signing here, or being traded here would be the biggest get in franchise history other than trading Jamison for Carter.

And would add more to the treadmilling years of the franchise. Millsap hardly means anything when we have younger PF's than can excel on this team too.

Signing Korver and Millsap is swining for the fences, because you're committing to this flawed core. You're taking a wild swing hoping it pays off. I don't think you understand what "swinging for the fences" means, but being from Toronto and a probable Blue Jays fan, I can understand your lack of baseball terminology comprehension.

Masai didn't become GM to take gambles on finished products. He's going to acquire younger talent through the draft and trades. The only serious position were lacking in size right now is SF and backup C. That's the only needs we need.

Also, swinging for the fences just doesn't mean that. It means you also go for big time names that can put you over the top. Make them big time offers. Like Q said, money talks.

Anyway, Korver and Millsap aren't free agents. The Raps would need to trade Salmons (expiring), Fields (expiring), Ross and first. Why does this work?
CT: Valanciunas
PF: Millsap/ Johnson
SF: Korver
SG: DeRozan
PG: Lowry/ Vasquez

Atlanta would have to be on the crack pipe to even pull the trigger on this trade, let alone not laugh at the offer. And I was already aware of them not being free agents. Millsap signed a 4 year deal, he's not getting moved anywhere. Let alone for expiring contracts and a pick.

Millsap and Korver bring spacing and versatility. This opens up the lane further for Lowry and DeRozan. If Valanciunas and DeRozan continue to improve, this team could be a top 4 seed for the next 5-6 years with this core. Even when the east becomes competitive again.

And it would just be treadmilling. Again, I'm know what the goal of the franchise is. It's going to be to target 2016 and go after a big name. Rumors have it that they want to go after Durant. When Lowry decides to stay and DeRozan and Valanciunas become more developed players, they will give the offer. A "swing for the fence" that actually matters.

red1
05-05-2014, 03:17 PM
da fck your midget azz lookin at

Black Mamba's B
05-05-2014, 05:04 PM
Might want to say his name if your going to talk shit.
Not that it's you but it doesn't really matter does it? Most guys on here are key board warriors

red1
05-05-2014, 05:15 PM
Not that it's you but it doesn't really matter does it? Most guys on here are key board warriors
except he's right doe

kaiteng
05-05-2014, 05:16 PM
We will how much respect they earned through free agency, if Raps have cap space.