PDA

View Full Version : How F.ucked are the Clippers?

SilkkTheShocker
04-20-2014, 01:14 PM
Does anyone see them winning this series still? Warriors got this in 5 or 6 imo.

Budadiiii
04-20-2014, 01:15 PM
Clippers in 6.

Fluke game.

STATUTORY
04-20-2014, 01:19 PM
chris paul on the team?

playoff flameout

SilkkTheShocker
04-20-2014, 01:20 PM
Clippers in 6.

Fluke game.

I don't see it. Clippers probably win game 2. But I don't think they win on the road. Never really saw the love for this Clippers team. I like Griffin a lot, but he does disappear in the playoffs at times. They have no real dynamic talent on the wing except Crawford. And CP3 is going to have his hands full.

SilkkTheShocker
04-20-2014, 01:21 PM
chris paul on the team?

playoff flameout

He has managed to avoid a lot of criticism over that fact. I don't think he is overrated at all. The problem is the PG position in general is overrated in the NBA.

STATUTORY
04-20-2014, 01:23 PM
He has managed to avoid a lot of criticism over that fact. I don't think he is overrated at all. The problem is the PG position in general is overrated in the NBA.

well said, i think in the future, bigger 1 guards will be the norm. Guys like Lance and Shaun livingston are matchup nightmares.

With more skilled wings, playmaking duties can be allocated to swingman or 2 guard and a bigger PG means more stout defense.

Phil jackson was ahead of his time.

D.J.
04-20-2014, 01:24 PM
They'll bounce back. Said before the series started Clippers in 6. I'm sticking with it.

imdaman99
04-20-2014, 01:26 PM
Well losing Game 1 at home is a miserable start.

Not sure I trust them enough to win in Golden State, that's a really hard place to win on the road in the Playoffs.

SilkkTheShocker
04-20-2014, 01:27 PM
well said, i think in the future, bigger 1 guards will be the norm. Guys like Lance and Shaun livingston are matchup nightmares.

With more skilled wings, playmaking duties can be allocated to swingman or 2 guard and a bigger PG means more stout defense.

Phil jackson was ahead of his time.

Agreed. All your PG needs to do is shoot 3s and not turn the ball over. PG would be the last position I would focus on building a team through.

bballnoob1192
04-20-2014, 01:29 PM
IMO clippers can only take 1 out of 3 road games, but i can see the warriors stealing another home game away from the clippers. so this series will prolly go 6 games i the warriors win and 7 if the clippers win.

Nick Young
04-20-2014, 01:31 PM
Agreed. All your PG needs to do is shoot 3s and not turn the ball over. PG would be the last position I would focus on building a team through.
Yep. You dont even have to defend the opposing PG well even if its a superstar PG. Jackson got away with Fisher guarding guys like Nash, Allen Iverson, Jason Kidd, Westbrook, Parker, CP3 and Rajon Rondo during his 5 title playoff runs with the Lakers.

Kungfro
04-20-2014, 01:31 PM
It was a pretty close game despite Griffin only playing 19 minutes. I'd like to see a full game from him before I pass judgement on the Clips.

imdaman99
04-20-2014, 01:33 PM
Yep. You dont even have to defend the opposing PG well even if its a superstar PG. Jackson got away with Fisher guarding guys like Nash, Allen Iverson, Jason Kidd, Westbrook, Parker, CP3 and Rajon Rondo during his 5 title playoff runs with the Lakers.
Don't be ridiculous, most those guys were lighting up Fish and then he put Kobe on them to neutralize the threat :bowdown:

Smook A.
04-20-2014, 01:38 PM
2011 ECF Game 1

Chicago Bulls vs. Miami Heat.

Bulls won Game 1.... then Miami won 4 games after that. BOOM! series ended and D-Rose went home.

I still got Clippers in 6

Milbuck
04-20-2014, 01:40 PM
They're not.

Heavincent
04-20-2014, 01:40 PM
It was a pretty close game despite Griffin only playing 19 minutes. I'd like to see a full game from him before I pass judgement on the Clips.

Iguodala fouled out in 20 minutes and Curry didn't play well at all. It's not like the Warriors played the game of their lives. In fact, they were pretty sloppy.

Inferno
04-20-2014, 01:45 PM

Iggy played like 19 minutes too, and Steph had a pretty bad game.

Nick Young
04-20-2014, 01:47 PM
Don't be ridiculous, most those guys were lighting up Fish and then he put Kobe on them to neutralize the threat :bowdown:
dont rewrite history. Kobe never guarded Parker, Nash, AI or CP3. The only one he guarded occassionally was Rondo. Phil just let whatever superstar PG we were up against go off against us and do their thing. Didn't do shit and never lead to wins. That's why Nash, AI, and CP3 HAVE NO RINGS. Parker got his rings as the third best player on his team and Rondo only has one fluke ring as the 4th best player on his team.

Not to mention, Heat have won two titles with Mario Chalmers as starting PG.

Do you see a pattern here? Superstar PGs DON'T WIN TITLES. All they get you is flashy but ultimately empty stats.

STATUTORY
04-20-2014, 01:50 PM
dont rewrite history. Kobe never guarded Parker, Nash, AI or CP3. The only one he guarded occassionally was Rondo. Phil just let whatever superstar PG we were up against go off against us and do their thing. Didn't do shit and never lead to wins. That's why Nash, AI, and CP3 HAVE NO RINGS. Parker got his rings as the third best player on his team and Rondo only has one fluke ring as the 4th best player on his team.

Not to mention, Heat have won two titles with Mario Chalmers as starting PG.

Do you see a pattern here? Superstar PGs DON'T WIN TITLES. All they get you is flashy but ultimately empty stats.

undersized "superstar" pg, which really just means a no defense ball dominant player, is the last thing i want to build my team around

that's why chris paul couldnt do shit but let his team lose by 60 on his homecourt in the prime of his career

basketball is a game that privileges the taller players who play closer to the basket.

All Net
04-20-2014, 02:02 PM
It's a 7 game series for a reason.. Great start for GS though.

steve
04-20-2014, 02:10 PM
Iggy played like 19 minutes too, and Steph had a pretty bad game.

Granted they weren't exactly playing well when Iggy was in, which is in contrast of how well the Clippers were playing when Griffin was out there.

There were a lot of outliers in this game that might not be (probably won't be) sustainable over an entire series. But I guess that won't stop people from overreacting like this is the first year they've ever watched professional basketball.

Kiddlovesnets
04-20-2014, 02:13 PM
Well they clearly are not gonna win the series after a lackluster performance from game 1, Warriors in 5-6.

fpliii
04-20-2014, 02:15 PM

I do agree that PGs are overrated (even as a CP3 fan), but how do you feel about guys like Kidd/Westbrook who can also defend multiple wing positions for you because they have size? I think you could conceivably build around them (still not as easy as a two-way forward or center).

fpliii
04-20-2014, 02:17 PM
undersized "superstar" pg, which really just means a no defense ball dominant player, is the last thing i want to build my team around

that's why chris paul couldnt do shit but let his team lose by 60 on his homecourt in the prime of his career

basketball is a game that privileges the taller players who play closer to the basket.
Agree for the most part.

AnaheimLakers24
04-20-2014, 02:18 PM
midgets cant get you to the promise land

secund2nun
04-20-2014, 02:21 PM
It could go either way. It's up to Blake Griffin. If he can perform well they will win. If he performs like he did in last year's playoffs they lose.

I can understand why he would struggle against Memphis especially with the injury, but I can't see why he would struggle against the Warriors. If he does struggle again I will be disappointed in his play. He wasn't bad in game 1 except for the foul trouble.

toooo
04-20-2014, 02:24 PM
Steph had a bad game because Paul shut him down. That defense though :bowdown: I bet Doc told the entire squad, "make someone else score. Make Curry pass the ball."

Iguadola had no impact on the game and probably will have no impact in future games unless he's defending CP3. He can't guard Blake/DJ, so he's stuck with Barnes/Redick who rarely create their own shot by dribbling. They either run the break and hop to the baseline 3 (Barnes), or curl around 50 screens (Redick).

Blake on the other hand does have a HUGE impact on the game. 19 minutes for the second (arguably BEST) player on the team? I'd like to see a full game from him.

Cliff notes: Blake's impact >>>>>> Iguadola's impact.

SilkkTheShocker
04-20-2014, 02:24 PM
I do agree that PGs are overrated (even as a CP3 fan), but how do you feel about guys like Kidd/Westbrook who can also defend multiple wing positions for you because they have size? I think you could conceivably build around them (still not as easy as a two-way forward or center).

Building around Westbrook would worry me because he lacks NBA IQ. He isn't a smart player at all, I would worry about building around him as the best player. Top 3 PG, and a huge talent. But I just don't trust him as the main piece. Kidd on the other hand is a different story. He took teams to the Finals that had no business being there. Weak eastern conference or not, they weren't talented teams. This is a guy is ran the offense, locked on to Reggie Miller for 4 quarters, and went shot for shot with him in the playoffs. Even at this age in 2011, he was able to guard Brandon Roy, Kobe, Westbrook, and Wade. His versatility was essential in winning a title. So I would say Kidd is the exception.

secund2nun
04-20-2014, 02:26 PM

A Kidd or a Westbrook would still be bad to build around especially Westbrook though Kidd would be better to build around than most other PGs. The only PG you can build around is a freak PG like Magic or if Lebron were to play PG, but these guys have the size to impact the game in ways most PGs could only dream of.

A PG like Westbrook is the last type of PG that I would want on my team (Max salary, ball hog, not a great passer, inefficient chucker, mediocre floor spacer).

fpliii
04-20-2014, 02:38 PM
:cheers:

Good point guys, I mentioned WB mostly because of the defensive liability angle. Even if he does some dumb shit, I'm still a fan. :pimp:

Bottom like though, unless your PG is gonna be a shooter/complementary player, what's the minimum height you're comfortable with as a featured star? 6'4"?

fpliii
04-20-2014, 02:39 PM
What about the Glove?

NoGunzJustSkillz
04-20-2014, 02:39 PM
If Clipps lose in round 1, Vinny is gone for sure, right?

duh, doc rivers lol

Graviton
04-20-2014, 02:40 PM
Lebron is basically a 6'8 PG, he was the one handling facilitating duties for the Olympic team too. Size gives you options midget PGs don't have. You can make passes they can never execute. Lebron especially has the height and wrist strength to make the accurate cross court bullet passes that short PGs would never make against taller athletic defenders.

Young X
04-20-2014, 02:43 PM
If they win game 2 they're fine I think.

SilkkTheShocker
04-20-2014, 02:50 PM
:cheers:

Good point guys, I mentioned WB mostly because of the defensive liability angle. Even if he does some dumb shit, I'm still a fan. :pimp:

Bottom like though, unless your PG is gonna be a shooter/complementary player, what's the minimum height you're comfortable with as a featured star? 6'4"?

Ideally you want them to be at least 6'3-6'4. And definitely of a bigger build. I wouldn't have a problem building around Payton either. Like Kidd, he could defend 3 positions. And while not the floor general Kidd is, Payton was much more efficient scorer.

STATUTORY
04-20-2014, 02:55 PM
What about the Glove?

I wonder how success payton would be in this no handcheck era with these superstar calls on the perimeter. I'm not saying it's impossible to win with a undersized "superstar" pg, it's just there's a inequity between their contribution to championship basketball and contract value. in a cap constrained league it's all about proper allocation of resources, I think a guy like Patrick Beverley, while somewhat overrated, is very valuable on per dollar basis especially since his success will never come at the expense of the other premiere perimeter player on your team.

Which you can't say about guys like westbrook.

I dont' think it's all about length tho, I think my initial post might have implied that

SacJB Shady
04-20-2014, 02:55 PM
They'll bounce back. Said before the series started Clippers in 6. I'm sticking with it.

Dream on budd. Warriors in 4.

SilkkTheShocker
04-20-2014, 03:01 PM
I wonder how success payton would be in this no handcheck era with these superstar calls on the perimeter. I'm not saying it's impossible to win with a undersized "superstar" pg, it's just there's a inequity between their contribution to championship basketball and contract value. in a cap constrained league it's all about proper allocation of resources, I think a guy like Patrick Beverley, while somewhat overrated, is very valuable on per dollar basis especially since his success will never come at the expense of the other premiere perimeter player on your team.

Which you can't say about guys like westbrook.

Payton would still be a star. Handcheck rules or not, their are only a few point guards in this league that play good defense. Beverly, Rondo when he wants to, etc. He wouldn't be a DPOY in this era, but still the best.

miggyme1
04-20-2014, 03:13 PM
2011 ECF Game 1

Chicago Bulls vs. Miami Heat.

Bulls won Game 1.... then Miami won 4 games after that. BOOM! series ended and D-Rose went home.

I still got Clippers in 6

The clippers aint the bulls and the warriors aint the heat......warriors in 4. BOOM

Marlo_Stanfield
04-20-2014, 03:15 PM
Payton would still be a star. Handcheck rules or not, their are only a few point guards in this league that play good defense. Beverly, Rondo when he wants to, etc. He wouldn't be a DPOY in this era, but still the best.
just stop:coleman:

LoneyROY7
04-20-2014, 03:23 PM
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j312/asampso2/westbrookwhat_zps2c0cd352.jpg

"Y'all ni**as trippin."

#wegood

Bandito
04-20-2014, 03:54 PM
What is your most important position? The second one?

Straight_Ballin
04-20-2014, 04:22 PM
midgets cant get you to the promise land

It took an stacked Lakers team to stop AI.
A 6'1 165 lb midget won MVP and dominated the league.

LoneyROY7
04-20-2014, 04:29 PM
http://test.terezowens.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Blake-Griffin-Bench.gif

senelcoolidge
04-20-2014, 04:30 PM
With Griffin limited to only 19 minutes. He doesn't just score. But he helps space the floor out for CP3. Without him CP3 didn't have the spacing so he was defended better. Some of those fouls on Griffin were bogus..that pretty much lost that game for them. Clippers in 6 games.

Purch
04-20-2014, 04:30 PM
This was my main series pick for an upset

LoneyROY7
04-20-2014, 04:31 PM
Clippers will win game 2 and 3. Warriors will win game 4. Clippers win game 5 and 6.

Book it. Signed, sealed, delivered.

Purch
04-20-2014, 04:33 PM
Not only that, but there was no point during the season in which I considered the clippers legitimate contenders, on the level of The spurs, Okc, or miami

senelcoolidge
04-20-2014, 04:42 PM
It was odd that when the Clippers were looking like they would blow out the Warriors at the beginning all of a sudden Griffin gets two quick fouls from the refs. That certainly got the Warriors back in the game.

Inferno
04-20-2014, 04:43 PM
It was odd that when the Clippers were looking like they would blow out the Warriors at the beginning all of a sudden Griffin gets two quick fouls from the refs. That certainly got the Warriors back in the game.

Except all of the fouls on him were legit. :rolleyes:

How about the calls on Iggy?

Al Thornton
04-20-2014, 04:56 PM
blake griffin played 19 minutes and steph curry played 44. if the warriors didn't win game 1 there would be a huge problem.

senelcoolidge
04-20-2014, 05:07 PM

The bad officiating was bad both ways. But we all know that Griffin is way more important to his team than Iggs.

toooo
04-20-2014, 05:36 PM
The bad officiating was bad both ways. But we all know that Griffin is way more important to his team than Iggs.
This.

bballnoob1192
04-20-2014, 05:52 PM
Clippers will win game 2 and 3. Warriors will win game 4. Clippers win game 5 and 6.

Book it. Signed, sealed, delivered.
so you are saying that the clippers can win two games in GS :biggums: :coleman:

Heavincent
04-20-2014, 05:52 PM

You might want to look at the Warriors record without Iggy. It's not good.

RoseCity07
04-20-2014, 05:59 PM
Warriors in 6.

SilkkTheShocker
04-20-2014, 06:01 PM
Warriors in 6.

This. And for the record, I don't care who wins. But I think the Clippers are done.

senelcoolidge
04-20-2014, 06:54 PM

You may want to look at the Clippers without Griffin. He's not only one of the most efficient scorers in the paint. But he helps the team in spacing which benefits CP3. The offense can run through him. He's an underrated man to man defender. He's too important to the team.

Mr Exlax
04-20-2014, 07:31 PM
Unless Griffin or CP3 got injured and only you know about it then I don't thinked they're fugged at all. They lost 1 game in a best of 7 series. Shit happens.

qrich
04-20-2014, 07:33 PM

Picking an "upset" in the West this year :facepalm

Iggy's importance to the Warriors is not anything equal to that of Blake's importance to the Clippers.

And when you consider Doc was more conservative everytime Blake picked up a foul (benched with two in the first, benched when he got his third) while Jackson left Iggy when he picked up two in the first quarter, you just have to wonder the differences.

so you are saying that the clippers can win two games in GS :biggums: :coleman:

You are right. The season is over. Might as well run a starting unit of Willie Green - Reggie Bullock - Hidayet Turkoglu - Byron Mullens (!!) - Ryan Hollins and let them try to earn contracts.

People said Clippers are great w/o CP3. 13-8 on the year, I believe. If 13-8 is great, 10-9 can't be considered "not good" can it?

But hey, we see who it is.

Warriors in 6.

This guy always cracks me up. Such an anti-LA syndrome from this kid.

Purch
04-20-2014, 08:31 PM
Picking an "upset" in the West this year :facepalm

Considering some people have the clippers pegged as contenders, it would Probally qualify