PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Paul George or 2011 Derrick Rose?

NumberSix
03-10-2014, 01:48 PM
Who d'you got?

Draz
03-10-2014, 01:49 PM
Rose. Don't want to sound bias because I haven't seen much of George.

Genaro
03-10-2014, 01:50 PM
George. He is the better defender by far.

Mass Debator
03-10-2014, 01:53 PM
D-Rose

Demitri98
03-10-2014, 01:54 PM
Rose and it's really not even that close for me. Rose was on another planet (compared to PG now) in 2011. PG's best years are far in the future, so maybe we should compare them then rather than now.

Jlamb47
03-10-2014, 01:57 PM
D rose

D rose was an outstanding player that year. His explosiveness was crazy and he could get to the rim at will.
I do like Paul George defense though but id still gibe the edge to Rose

Milbuck
03-10-2014, 02:06 PM
Rose, all day every day.

DMAVS41
03-10-2014, 03:06 PM
Really close.

I'd probably take PG up to this point, but it's a slight edge simply because he's a truly elite impact wing defender along with being a very good overall offensive player.

I know he's getting hate right now, but 22/7/3 56% TS while being an elite defensive force is nothing to laugh at.

ArbitraryWater
03-10-2014, 03:14 PM
Rose easy

JohnMax
03-10-2014, 03:16 PM
Rose and it's really not even that close for me. Rose was on another planet (compared to PG now) in 2011. PG's best years are far in the future, so maybe we should compare them then rather than now.

2014 Steph Curry
2013 Russell Westbrook
2013 Tony Parker
2008 Chris Paul

Just a few PGs who had as good of a season as Rose

Milbuck
03-10-2014, 03:22 PM
2014 Steph Curry
2013 Russell Westbrook
2013 Tony Parker
2008 Chris Paul

Don't really see how that's relevant here.

swagga
03-10-2014, 03:48 PM
Really close.

I'd probably take PG up to this point, but it's a slight edge simply because he's a truly elite impact wing defender along with being a very good overall offensive player.

I know he's getting hate right now, but 22/7/3 56% TS while being an elite defensive force is nothing to laugh at.

Rose needs a team specially tailored for his style. PG can play with other people. That's something that almost nobody in this thread is considering.

Also PG puttin this stats on a team with west/hibbert/stephenson who all take from the total number of possessions, while having a much lower usage rate than rose. That means he doesn't force his team to be extremely dependent on him, which is always a plus.

The fact the PG is an elite defender at 2 of the most important defensive positions in this era's basketball is also a BIG plus. The fact that he can also guard the 2 best players in the league (through which you need to go to get a ring) better than most is another big plus.
Btw point guard defense is of really low impact in general.

What rose has going for him is the ability to create, but PG has him beat at all the rest.

I'd say PG by a slim margin.

DMAVS41
03-10-2014, 03:55 PM
Rose needs a team specially tailored for his style. PG can play with other people. That's something that almost nobody in this thread is considering.

Also PG puttin this stats on a team with west/hibbert/stephenson who all take from the total number of possessions, while having a much lower usage rate than rose. That means he doesn't force his team to be extremely dependent on him, which is always a plus.

The fact the PG is an elite defender at 2 of the most important defensive positions in this era's basketball is also a BIG plus. The fact that he can also guard the 2 best players in the league (through which you need to go to get a ring) better than most is another big plus.
Btw point guard defense is of really low impact in general.

What rose has going for him is the ability to create, but PG has him beat at all the rest.

I'd say PG by a slim margin.

Absolutely...PG is a far more versatile player.

I've been trying to explain that to Rose fans since 11...he's at his most impactful when he's dominating the ball and at a high usage. Take the ball out of his hands and he's just a lesser player. He's not a great spot up shooter. He's not going to set picks or anything...he's not a high impact defender or rebounder.

He's just a lesser version of allen iverson. Which is fine, but not mentioning he can only play 1 way...is silly like you said.

SCdac
03-10-2014, 04:34 PM
Derrick Rose, for sure. Back in 2011 he was beasting for his team. Hella clutch, probably the best slasher in the game, and has range.

Against Indiana in january '11... no Noah... Rose had a 29 point - 10 rebound - 5 assist - 3 three's game in a win.

Few nights later... no Boozer or Noah.... dude scored 22 against the Grizz, including 10 rebounds - 12 assists, a block and a steal.

He doesn't lack all around game.

Replace PG with Kawhi Leonard (a lesser offensive player than George, but approximately as good on D) and replace George Hill with '11 Rose and the Pacers would be better for sure.

George is excellent, def an AS, but feel like he's got more to learn and isn't playmaking the way dynamic Rose does.

LoneyROY7
03-10-2014, 04:53 PM
Rose, easily. Rose pre-injury is becoming very underrated on ISH.

DMAVS41
03-10-2014, 04:57 PM
Derrick Rose, for sure. Back in 2011 he was beasting for his team. Hella clutch, probably the best slasher in the game, and has range.

Against Indiana in january '11... no Noah... Rose had a 29 point - 10 rebound - 5 assist - 3 three's game in a win.

Few nights later... no Boozer or Noah.... dude scored 22 against the Grizz, including 10 rebounds - 12 assists, a block and a steal.

He doesn't lack all around game.

Replace PG with Kawhi Leonard (a lesser offensive player than George, but approximately as good on D) and replace George Hill with '11 Rose and the Pacers would be better for sure.

George is excellent, def an AS, but feel like he's got more to learn and isn't playmaking the way dynamic Rose does.

So much of this post makes no sense.

And that comparison you made makes even less sense. Leonard is simply a more valuable player than George Hill. So you'd have to replace Hill with someone as valuable as Leonard in your example.

Rose/Leonard vs Hill/George isn't a fair comparison. I don't know the pg equivalent of Leonard, but I'd lean towards maybe Conley....and I'd rather have Conley/George than Rose/Leonard.

Although I do agree that Rose is slightly better suited to play on inept offensive and strong defensive teams like the 11 Bulls and 14 Pacers. Although a big reason why the Pacers are as strong defensively as they are is because of PG...while Rose made no impact at all on the defense of the Bulls.

Solefade
03-10-2014, 05:28 PM
defense wins championships so PG

PG's discrepancy in offensive ability compared to D. Rose isn't as big as the discrepancy in their defensive abilities.

SamuraiSWISH
03-10-2014, 06:15 PM
Rose, easily. Rose pre-injury is becoming very underrated on ISH.
Criminally. Seriously. I think it actually stems from a place of people being upset he hasn't basically played in 2x years. But even in 2012 before his injuries, it's obvious 2011, and 2012 Derrick Rose > 2014 George. Put 2011, or 2012 D. Rose on the current Pacers ... they get instantly better.

DMAVS41
03-10-2014, 06:19 PM
Criminally. Seriously. I think it actually stems from a place of people being upset he hasn't basically played in 2x years. But even in 2012 before his injuries, it's obvious 2011, and 2012 Derrick Rose > 2014 George. Put 2011, or 2012 D. Rose on the current Pacers ... they get instantly better.

It's not obvious at all...and the way you are thinking about it is flawed.

Put Derrick Rose on the current Mavs and he improves the Mavs less than putting Paul George on the current Mavs.

Does that prove George is better?

SamuraiSWISH
03-10-2014, 06:23 PM
It's not obvious at all...and the way you are thinking about it is flawed.
I don't think so. Eye test, watching them both, Derrick Rose's ability pre injury to take over games, score at will in the lane, feel for the game, distribute the ball ... I take that over George's superior defense, size, length, and versatility. PG isn't even his team's best or most important defender. Hibbert makes them all better because of the ability to gamble with a saftey blanket.

Demitri98
03-10-2014, 06:24 PM
2014 Steph Curry
2013 Russell Westbrook
2013 Tony Parker
2008 Chris Paul

No lol, I meant Paul George.

Prometheus
03-10-2014, 06:43 PM
There's no way to compare players this different in a vacuum - it depends on the team. The Bulls were a great fit for Rose because they had great defenders and no one else who could create their own shot. If your team is well-balanced on both sides of the ball, Paul George is easily a greater asset. The entire basketball viewing world is very much brainwashed by the idea that the best players are highlight-generating volume scorers.

DMAVS41
03-10-2014, 06:48 PM
I don't think so. Eye test, watching them both, Derrick Rose's ability pre injury to take over games, score at will in the lane, feel for the game, distribute the ball ... I take that over George's superior defense, size, length, and versatility. PG isn't even his team's best or most important defender. Hibbert makes them all better because of the ability to gamble with a saftey blanket.

All that is fine, but the logic/reasoning you used about Rose joining the Pacers is flawed.

And I showed you that. Put Rose on the Mavs and PG on the Mavs...and the Mavs definitely improve more with PG...in fact, it wouldn't even be close.

So my point is that your point about putting Rose on the Pacers to make them better doesn't work.

All the other stuff is fine. I just think PG is a higher impact player because not only can he give you 20 plus points and solid rebounding and playmaking, but he can give you truly elite defense on the wing. And I'll take that over Rose ever so slightly in a vacuum.

moe94
03-10-2014, 06:49 PM
The answers have varied throughout the season. Most said PG before.

Budadiiii
03-10-2014, 09:42 PM
The guy who is 6 foot 10 and the best perimeter defender in the league. Better impact by default.

Whatever Rose chucked for you on offense, he gave up on defense. Also he has no impact in the rebounding game. Rose never played as hard as Westbrook so his impact is limited to him chucking on poor efficiency.

Dengness9
03-10-2014, 10:29 PM
The guy who is 6 foot 10 and the best perimeter defender in the league. Better impact by default.

Whatever Rose chucked for you on offense, he gave up on defense. Also he has no impact in the rebounding game. Rose never played as hard as Westbrook so his impact is limited to him chucking on poor efficiency.

You talk about Rose chucking by comparing it to Westbrook?

Rose 46% career to Russy's 43%? Not to mention Rose's 46% includes his god awful 35% from this season which was only going to go higher.

JohnFreeman
03-10-2014, 10:31 PM
Depends if you need defense or offense on your team.