PDA

View Full Version : What percentage of ''great shooting'' is due to genetics/mental?

livinglegend
03-08-2014, 07:07 PM
It takes hard work to become a great shooter, but working hard alone wont make it. Some guys just have it in them. They can work 2 times less than another guy and still be better shooter than him. Many genetic factors come in play like their body type, hand size,etc. What percentage of good shooting has to do with genes?

Then, another factor that comes to play is the mental aspect. You have to be confident to make your shots. Some guys are great shooter in ''easy'' situations ( bad defence, no thpressure), but they are not so good in clutch and pressure situations. They dont trust their shot in those situations. What percentages of good shooting has to with the mental?

and which of the 3 variables is the most important: mental, genes or hard work?

oarabbus
03-08-2014, 07:09 PM
It takes hard work to become a great shooter, but working hard alone wont make it. Some guys just have it in them. They can work 2 times less than another guy and still be better shooter than him. Many genetic factors come in play like their body type, hand size,etc. What percentage of good shooting has to do with genes?

Then, another factor that comes to play is the mental aspect. You have to be confident to make your shots. Some guys are great shooter in ''easy'' situations ( bad defence, no thpressure), but they are not so good in clutch and pressure situations. They dont trust their shot in those situations. What percentages of good shooting has to with the mental?

and which of the 3 variables is the most important: mental, genes or hard work?

For the general population, it's genetics. If you aren't >6' and extremely athletic you don't have a chance to play at a level as high as the NBA.

Out of the NBA talent pool, it's hard work. Just take a look at that Kobe thread from earlier about his work ethic. Kobe is gifted but he worked harder than anyone in the NBA, except a small handful of players.

NumberSix
03-08-2014, 07:10 PM
Mental = genetics

ArbitraryWater
03-08-2014, 07:11 PM
Good question but hard to answer too... just god given talent ya know

livinglegend
03-08-2014, 07:12 PM
Mental = genetics

I think it s a combination of hard work and genetics.

oarabbus
03-08-2014, 07:13 PM

:facepalm

Eric Cartman
03-08-2014, 07:33 PM

well you just answered it ...

inclinerator
03-08-2014, 07:37 PM
exactly 33.544 percent

KyrieTheFuture
03-08-2014, 07:42 PM
Shooting itself has nothing to do with genetics at all.

inclinerator
03-08-2014, 07:50 PM
some unlucky ppl will never have the coordination, luckily that's a low percentage

livinglegend
03-08-2014, 08:11 PM

Guy like Dwight and Shaq will never be good shooters no matter what they do.

oarabbus
03-08-2014, 08:19 PM

Wrong. If they practiced shooting as much as their other abilities, they'd be fine. No, they wouldn't be Nash or Korver, but they could be decent.

Forget about Dirk, look at someone like Hibbert. He's a good shooter for a 7' guy. No reason Dwight and Shaq couldn't be as good. Look at Griffin. Broke didn't even begin to describe his jumper before.... guess what, he practiced that **** and earlier this season hit something like 5/6 jumpers against us and drains 3s now.

Dr Hawk
03-08-2014, 08:56 PM

http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/qDJwoI7zu5TcdR_nb19nxQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusnbaexperts/lakersft.jpg

I'm sure Howard's problem with the free throws is mental. He can hit free throws, as shown above.

oarabbus
03-08-2014, 08:58 PM
I'm sure Howard's problem with the free throws is mental. He can hit free throws, as shown above.

I take back what I said earlier. He's actually shooting worse than his career average this year, and he's happy and mentally zoned in in Houston.

livinglegend
03-08-2014, 09:04 PM
Wrong. If they practiced shooting as much as their other abilities, they'd be fine. No, they wouldn't be Nash or Korver, but they could be decent.

Forget about Dirk, look at someone like Hibbert. He's a good shooter for a 7' guy. No reason Dwight and Shaq couldn't be as good. Look at Griffin. Broke didn't even begin to describe his jumper before.... guess what, he practiced that **** and earlier this season hit something like 5/6 jumpers against us and drains 3s now.

Why cant they never be as good as Nash or Korver? If genetics have nothing to do with shooting, then, with practice, they should be able to get as good as those 2.

inclinerator
03-08-2014, 09:06 PM
Why cant they never be as good as Nash or Korver? If genetics have nothing to do with shooting, then, with practice, they should be able to get as good as those 2.
they probably can be with time, but those 2 has practiced their shooting 10x as much as someone like shaq since shaq isnt a perimeter player

Akrazotile
03-08-2014, 09:06 PM
For the general population, it's genetics. If you aren't >6' and extremely athletic you don't have a chance to play at a level as high as the NBA.

Out of the NBA talent pool, it's hard work. Just take a look at that Kobe thread from earlier about his work ethic. Kobe is gifted but he worked harder than anyone in the NBA, except a small handful of players.

Guys like jr smith, carmelo, iverson and others who are notoriously dumb and lazy are better shooters than tons of kids who work their asses off. Its def largely genetic.

livinglegend
03-08-2014, 09:09 PM
they probably can be with time, but those 2 has practiced their shooting 10x as much as someone like shaq since shaq isnt a perimeter player
are you serious? :lol
Shaq can never be as good as Nash or Korver. His hands are too big. Just look at the way he holds the ball when he shoots fts.

oarabbus
03-08-2014, 09:09 PM
Guys like jr smith, carmelo, iverson and others who are notoriously dumb and lazy are better shooters than tons of kids who work their asses off. Its def largely genetic.

We're only looking at "great" shooters though. Steve Nash said he wouldn't have a job if everyone in the NBA had his work ethic, and he's a great shooter. Dirk works hard as a MF. Durant skipped his senior prom or something to be shooting baskets. I'd venture to guess Dragic is a product of hard work as well.

oarabbus
03-08-2014, 09:15 PM
are you serious? :lol
Shaq can never be as good as Nash or Korver. His hands are too big. Just look at the way he holds the ball when he shoots fts.

:facepalm:
Timmy and KG have larger hands than Shaq. Dirks hands are comparable to Shaqs as well.

IGOTGAME
03-08-2014, 09:18 PM
We're only looking at "great" shooters though. Steve Nash said he wouldn't have a job if everyone in the NBA had his work ethic, and he's a great shooter. Dirk works hard as a MF. Durant skipped his senior prom or something to be shooting baskets. I'd venture to guess Dragic is a product of hard work as well.
And Nash is just patting himself on the back. Great shooters work hard but genetics play a big part. You can have 16 year Shaq and Steve Nash workout together, identically, for 15 year....only one will be a great shooter.

livinglegend
03-08-2014, 09:20 PM
:facepalm:
Timmy and KG have larger hands than Shaq. Dirks hands are comparable to Shaqs as well.

Big hands play a part of him being a bad shooter, but there are also other variables.

oarabbus
03-08-2014, 09:21 PM
And Nash is just patting himself on the back. Great shooters work hard but genetics play a big part. You can have 16 year Shaq and Steve Nash workout together, identically, for 15 year....only one will be a great shooter.

Sure, but on the whole Euro bigs can shoot quite well (just take someone random like Pero Antic, or Mirza Teletovic) while American bigs can't.

It's not because they are big. It's not because Euro bigs magically have smaller hands than American bigs. It's because of how they train and practice, how they are taught from a young age. I'm not saying Shaq would be a 7' Nash, but a LOT has to do with hard work and practice.

livinglegend
03-08-2014, 09:23 PM

There s a reason why Wade cant have a consistent jumper. I m sure he has worked hard to get a good jumper especially since his decline.

JT123
03-08-2014, 09:26 PM
There s a reason why Wade cant have a consistent jumper. I m sure he has worked hard to get a good jumper especially since his decline.
He's actually improved a lot this year. But as far as 3 point shooting, I don't think he'll ever become a real threat.

FKAri
03-08-2014, 09:27 PM

If you took a million people and gave them identical training at an identical time/age span, the best of the bunch would be a lot better than the worst of the bunch. That gap is genetics.

Akrazotile
03-08-2014, 09:31 PM
Sure, but on the whole Euro bigs can shoot quite well (just take someone random like Pero Antic, or Mirza Teletovic) while American bigs can't.

It's not because they are big. It's not because Euro bigs magically have smaller hands than American bigs. It's because of how they train and practice, how they are taught from a young age. I'm not saying Shaq would be a 7' Nash, but a LOT has to do with hard work and practice.

Obviously it's some of both and how much probably varies by person. But you can't just "work" your way to being the best shooter. Otherwise the NBA would be filled with the 400 hardest workers in America.

Akrazotile
03-08-2014, 09:32 PM

Wait, you just said this?

Were you being serious?

Come on man. Tell us that you were.

Please...

inclinerator
03-08-2014, 09:53 PM
Obviously it's some of both and how much probably varies by person. But you can't just "work" your way to being the best shooter. Otherwise the NBA would be filled with the 400 hardest workers in America.
yes u can, the reason they arent in the nba is because they can only shoot while nba players can shoot rebound pass defend, and have size quickness etc

if u put them in an empty gym or what not their numbers are probably comparable

Carter_17
03-08-2014, 10:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFhS5F7ubJs

Its all about muscle memory and being calm. Also being focused during practice is crucial. You have to keep shoting with the same motion every time.

oarabbus
03-08-2014, 10:14 PM
yes u can, the reason they arent in the nba is because they can only shoot while nba players can shoot rebound pass defend, and have size quickness etc

if u put them in an empty gym or what not their numbers are probably comparable

Agreed.

sejoon101
03-08-2014, 11:49 PM
I will break down shooting "genetics"

We see a lot of sports families. Great example is the Curry family.

A super experienced pro level shooter teaches his son at such a young age how to shoot. So by the time Steph is in 6th grade, he is already at a much higher level than other kids because he has learned the complex and subtle fundamentals that makes the difference between a good and great shooter.

When a person learns an ability, they absorb the information learned and perfect it on their own time. Another good example is the Mayweather family, Uncle and Pops taught young Floyd defensive techniques at such a young age, he had already mastered a 20 year boxer's knowledge on defense at a young age, so he had all that time to add onto that 20 year experience further and take it to the next level.

Genetics play a part in physical structure to a certain degree, but I don't think fundamentals such as passing shooting or handling the ball is so much genetics.

Swaggin916
03-09-2014, 07:54 AM
I think a lot of it has to do with genetics because if you aren't as big when you are younger, then developing an outside shot is helpful... or maybe you can't dribble all that well... or maybe you aren't comfortable driving or it takes too much effort, etc., etc. Or maybe you just really like to see the ball go in from distance. It's like with anything... why do we decide to put in the time specific work that we do on things?

I think circumstance is a more applicable term than genetics.

ILLsmak
03-09-2014, 11:06 AM
exactly 33.544 percent

Wow I was thinking more like 1/3rd. Source?

-Smak