PDA

View Full Version : Has DeAndre Jordan snuck into your top 10 C's this year? top 6 pushing it?

Levity
03-05-2014, 02:06 PM
Hes been fantastic under Doc Rivers. on the season, hes putting up 10 ppg/14 rebounds/ 2.5 blocks on 66% from the field with a career best 36 mins per game.

last month (11 games), he put up 13/13/3 blocks on 75% from the field. his free throws will always be an issue, but hack a DJ hasnt been a go to strategy for opposing teams this year as much as it had been in the past.

DJ has a pretty decent low post game, and some nice go to moves hes showcased in the past. His offense isnt needed as much for this clippers team, but if he was given more touches down low, one would think he would be able to produce with them at a fairly consistent clip

i think his biggest improvement under Doc has been his defense. its just smarter than it has been in any of his previous years. hes controlling his blocks more by keeping them in play. he also seems to be maturing more and more, and with his amazing athleticism, hes bound to have a very fruitful career with DPotY potential.

ive never really been a fan of his for many reasons, but i cant deny DJ this season. hes much improved and has made clippers an even more entertaining team for me

Bandito
03-05-2014, 02:10 PM
I think he could average Dwight numbers if he had the chance. I always thought he was as good as Dwight

UK2K
03-05-2014, 02:11 PM
There aren't even 10 good C's in the league.

There's like 6. So yeah he makes it.

Levity
03-05-2014, 02:12 PM
I think he could average Dwight numbers if he had the chance. I always thought he was as good as Dwight

ive always felt their athleticism was comparable. DJ's biggest nemesis was his low basketball IQ, mainly due to youth, in my opinion. however, that seems to be changing with every game. Ive also recently wondered what kind of numbers he could put up if he was a center piece on a team surrounded by shooters. i think his rebound average would sky rocket

Kiddlovesnets
03-05-2014, 02:13 PM
Has his b-ball IQ been improved since this season?

DuMa
03-05-2014, 02:14 PM
I'd put him right next to Tyson Chandler. Hes that good now. and his FTs are only improving game by game.

Bones_Jones
Hes been fantastic under Doc Rivers. on the season, hes putting up 10 ppg/14 rebounds/ 2.5 blocks on 66% from the field with a career best 36 mins per game.

last month (11 games), he put up 13/13/3 blocks on 75% from the field. his free throws will always be an issue, but hack a DJ hasnt been a go to strategy for opposing teams this year as much as it had been in the past.

DJ has a pretty decent low post game, and some nice go to moves hes showcased in the past. His offense isnt needed as much for this clippers team, but if he was given more touches down low, one would think he would be able to produce with them at a fairly consistent clip

i think his biggest improvement under Doc has been his defense. its just smarter than it has been in any of his previous years. hes controlling his blocks more by keeping them in play. he also seems to be maturing more and more, and with his amazing athleticism, hes bound to have a very fruitful career with DPotY potential.

ive never really been a fan of his for many reasons, but i cant deny DJ this season. hes much improved and has made clippers an even more entertaining team for me

I'm a Clippers fan since 99' and DJ has rebounded better and plays better team defense, but he still can't guard any of the top centers. They still score at will on him. He has no post up game, zero. He might get a drop step dunk on smaller scrub centers if he gets the ball deep enough, but can't score one on one on a half way decent center. he's not big or strong enough to get deep position if he has to dribble or make a move. He's a agile fast center. He still doesn't box out well, Clipps have lost a couple of close games because he and Blake don't box out well.

A lot of his improvement is because he's playing a lot more mins then last year. He is a lot better then last year. He's probably a top ten I guess.

Bandito
ive always felt their athleticism was comparable. DJ's biggest nemesis was his low basketball IQ, mainly due to youth, in my opinion. however, that seems to be changing with every game. Ive always recently wondered what kind of numbers he could put up if he was a center piece on a team surrounded by shooters. i think his rebound average would sky rocket
I feel the same thing too. I see a couple of Clippers games every season and was really surprised they dudnt used him for more mins prior to this season. Hes really athletic and I think all he needs is time on the court to learn.

Levity
03-05-2014, 02:15 PM
Has his b-ball IQ been improved since this season?

for what theyre asking from him, it seems to have. defensively, he was always beastly because of his size and athleticism but didnt always make the right play. biting for fakes(A LOT!), swatting balls into the stand.

jordan doesnt really bite for fakes anymore. instead, he stays grounded with his arms up, but will still go after the ball once its released. often times blocking it at its apex.

wally_world
03-05-2014, 02:17 PM
And he has Doc Rivers to thank :applause:

I hate the Clippers but damn DJ has been good. He should be top 6 because of how well he's playing and how his team has been winning, but there are definitely more than 6 centers I would pick ahead of him if I were building a franchise. Much improved though, a dark horse MIP candidate.

RoundMoundOfReb
03-05-2014, 02:17 PM
:oldlol:

Levity
03-05-2014, 02:19 PM
A lot of his improvement is because he's playing a lot more mins then last year. He is a lot better then last year.

Yeah i also agree with this. he is playing about 10 more minutes at game than his previous highest average. however, it is impressive that hes relatively staying out of foul trouble. ive never liked his single coverage defense, but i did love how bynum would always dominate him in the post(lakers fan)

All Net
03-05-2014, 02:21 PM
Top 3-5 for me.. He's improving all the time. Knew doc would help him.

He's even making free throws.

Suguru101
03-05-2014, 02:21 PM
Noah
Marc Gasol
Roy Hibbert
Andrew Bogut
Dwight Howard
Tim Duncan
Andre Drummond
Nikola Pekovic
Demarcus Cousins
Pau Gasol
Chris Bosh

All better as centers than him.

b0bab0i
03-05-2014, 02:27 PM
He's doing pretty well this year.
Leading in rebound and fg%, and 4th in blocks.

wally_world
03-05-2014, 02:27 PM
Noah
Marc Gasol
Roy Hibbert
Andrew Bogut
Dwight Howard
Tim Duncan
Andre Drummond
Nikola Pekovic
Demarcus Cousins
Pau Gasol
Chris Bosh

Some are arguable.

Bogut hasn't been able to stay on the floor as long and as effectively as DJ (not talking about missing games but playing big minutes).

Pekovic and Pau are both so bad on defense whatever advantage they have over DJ offensively is gone.

Bosh plays center by position but is clearly a PF.

I haven't watched Marc Gasol much this season, but he doesn't seem to be nearly as good as he was pre-injury.

Drummond is basically DJ on a team with half the wins. I'll take DJ this season.

Mass Debator
03-05-2014, 02:31 PM
His dunking has seemed to improve too. lol

He's definitely top 10. I don't think he's worth his $11 mil yet...maybe he'll change my mind once the playoffs come around.

KyleKong
03-05-2014, 02:40 PM
Great defensive play this year from DJ.

Also leading in rebounds and FG% and improved FT numbers.

He knows his role on the team. Top 5 center right now IMO.

Darius
03-05-2014, 02:42 PM
^ Agree... except for Drummond and - it can be argued - Pek

Marlo_Stanfield
03-05-2014, 02:47 PM
Noah
Marc Gasol
Roy Hibbert
Andrew Bogut
Dwight Howard
Tim Duncan
Andre Drummond
Nikola Pekovic
Demarcus Cousins
Pau Gasol
Chris Bosh

cgrus Bosh as a Center:roll: :roll: :roll:

Jailblazers7
03-05-2014, 02:49 PM
His dunking has seemed to improve too. lol

He's definitely top 10. I don't think he's worth his $11 mil yet...maybe he'll change my mind once the playoffs come around.

How is he not worth the $11M if he is a top 10 center? That figure is right in line with what the other top 10 guys are making. In fact, I did a quick check and he is probably the cheapest out of anyone except Drummond because he is still on a rookie deal.

wally_world
03-05-2014, 02:51 PM
How is he not worth the $11M if he is a top 10 center? That figure is right in line with what the other top 10 guys are making. In fact, I did a quick check and he is probably the cheapest out of anyone except Drummond because he is still on a rookie deal.

All of them are overpaid tho :oldlol:

Mass Debator
03-05-2014, 03:02 PM
Yeah, like wally said, they're all overpaid and someone like Asik who's making $8mil could've done all the things that Deandre has done.

JohnMax
03-05-2014, 03:07 PM
Tiago Splitter signed 4 year 36 million dollar contract

tmacattack33
03-05-2014, 03:27 PM
What?

He was probably top 10 two years ago.

Right now he might be a top 5 Center.

All Net
03-05-2014, 03:36 PM
cgrus Bosh as a Center:roll: :roll: :roll:

Would trade Pau in a flash for DJ too.

Jailblazers7
03-05-2014, 03:39 PM
Yeah, like wally said, they're all overpaid and someone like Asik who's making $8mil could've done all the things that Deandre has done.

Asik would not give the same production as DeAndre. DeAndre changes ends better, grabs more rebounds, and blocks more shots.

A guy isn't overpaid if he makes what a player of his production would get on the open market. A center who grabs 14 rebounds and blocks 2.5 shots while still getting you 10-11 ppg is worth $11M.

All Net
03-05-2014, 04:11 PM
Asik would not give the same production as DeAndre. DeAndre changes ends better, grabs more rebounds, and blocks more shots.

A guy isn't overpaid if he makes what a player of his production would get on the open market. A center who grabs 14 rebounds and blocks 2.5 shots while still getting you 10-11 ppg is worth $11M.

That and Asik seems to run in slow motion.

navy
03-05-2014, 04:15 PM
His defense is still not there.

Jailblazers7
03-05-2014, 04:18 PM
That and Asik seems to run in slow motion.

Yeah, Asik is a better post defender but there aren't many teams that are going to beat you by dumping the ball into the post. DeAndre is a very good center for today's NBA.

Levity
03-05-2014, 04:19 PM
His defense is still not there.

1v1? i agree. it still needs work. but he is really good at altering shots in the paint due to his length.

he has the tools to be a good 1v1 defender, just needs to brighten up that defensive IQ and learn to hold his ground against offensive players that make a series of moves.

Jameerthefear
03-05-2014, 05:39 PM
He is nowhere near a top 6 center. Stop.
Howard
Cousins
Noah
Hibbert
Jefferson
Gasol
are all much better players

TexasBloodMoney
03-05-2014, 06:07 PM
I remember asking clipper fans if they'd accept the #11 pick of the 2012 draft (which ended up being Meyers Leonard) straight up for Deandre and they were all for it :oldlol:

Rolo has been nice though

Levity
03-05-2014, 06:24 PM
He is nowhere near a top 6 center. Stop.
Howard
Cousins
Noah
Hibbert
Jefferson
Gasol
are all much better players

stop what exactly?

Levity
03-05-2014, 06:25 PM
I

he really really has. he had a handful of good games with NO last year, but i never expected him to be this good and consistent this year.

Darius
03-05-2014, 07:08 PM
Deandre turned it around to an extent which I never thought possible.

I thought he would never have the bball IQ to be a rim protector but under Doc he is getting better and better.

aj1987
03-05-2014, 07:13 PM
There aren't even 10 good C's in the league.

There's like 6. So yeah he makes it.
Hibbert
Howard
Asik
Gasol
Bogut
DeAndre
Pekovic
Al Horford
Al Jefferson
Noah
Davis
Cousins

That's 12 centers off the top off my head, who are pretty good.

Bones_Jones
03-05-2014, 08:00 PM
Deandre turned it around to an extent which I never thought possible.

I thought he would never have the bball IQ to be a rim protector but under Doc he is getting better and better.

his rim protection % was atrocious in the first half of the season, it's getting better but not where it should be for a top tier defensive center.

b0bab0i
03-05-2014, 11:49 PM
I remember asking clipper fans if they'd accept the #11 pick of the 2012 draft (which ended up being Meyers Leonard) straight up for Deandre and they were all for it :oldlol:

That's a dumb way to look at it. Doesn't mean we would've drafted Meyers Leonard. Also that was before Doc came and we had VDN.
I bet DJ wouldn't have improved this much if we still had VDN.