PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Infographic: Drives to the Basket

Leftimage
01-23-2014, 08:23 PM
Found this chart online. The clickable version with more info is here (http://public.tableausoftware.com/shared/Y4CR7GDMG?:display_count=yes).

http://i.imgur.com/nihTD4s.png

Any big surprises ? It certainly does lend credence to the notion Lebron MUST SHOOT MORE - in addition to demonstrating there is no player like him near the rim (possibly ever). Also makes Lillard look like shit.

Most surprising to me is Jeremy ''Asian man'' Lin. Just goes to show there is a lot more than just athleticism involved when it comes to being a good slasher.

In fact, there are several relatively mediocre athletes near the top of this chart; Parsons, Chalmers, Harden & Parker.

Also interesting to note that height doesn't seem to matter all that much...

Obviously the team's style of play has a major impact as well. Rockets with 4 players on this list.

MP.Trey
01-23-2014, 08:33 PM
Waiters' placement does not surprise me at all. He's so good at getting to the basket, but so bad at finishing through contact. Interesting he drives more than Kyrie in 6 less minutes per game. I wish Kyrie was a tad bit more aggressive getting to the basket sometimes but that's commonly a problem with players that have as good a jump shot as Kyrie does.

russwest0
01-23-2014, 08:34 PM
Lillard :biggums: :biggums: :biggums:

oarabbus
01-23-2014, 08:37 PM
Found this chart online. The clickable version with more info is here (http://public.tableausoftware.com/shared/Y4CR7GDMG?:display_count=yes).

http://i.imgur.com/nihTD4s.png

Any big surprises ? It certainly does lend credence to the notion Lebron MUST SHOOT MORE - in addition to demonstrating there is no player like him near the rim (possibly ever). Also makes Lillard look like shit.

Most surprising to me is Jeremy ''Asian man'' Lin. Just goes to show there is a lot more than just athleticism involved when it comes to being a good slasher.

In fact, there are several relatively mediocre athletes near the top of this chart; Parsons, Chalmers, Harden & Parker.

Also interesting to note that height doesn't seem to matter all that much...

Obviously the team's style of play has a major impact as well. Rockets with 4 players on this list.

:biggums: :biggums: :biggums:

Parker is one of the quickest end-to-end athletes in the league, if not the #1 quickest. Also very crafty.

Jeremy Lin is extremely athletic. He doesn't have insane vert but has faster acceleration than John Wall and D Rose (this was tested by sports science) and is the fastest player ever measured by the Rockets. Yeah read that again, he has faster acceleration than any player since the Rockets began testing such things.

Harden is extremely athletic too, have you seen him dunk? Excellent body control, a nice vert, etc. And Parsons is very athletic, WTF? Just because he's white you callin him unathletic?

Parsons destroys Ibaka http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zggDyCohEtM
Parsons dunk on Javale http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUr7glxTqac
Parsons tomahawk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0jTNtDo-a0

He has plenty more of those all I did was youtube "chandler parsons dunk" and there were a ton of results. So basically all this chart did was confirm that you have to be very athletic to be a top driver to the basket. Lebron and Durant are athletic. So are the Rockets you mentioned. Damn near everyone on that chart except Jameer at this point is very athletic...

I'm surprised Curry isn't higher, that's the only surprise.

Rose'sACL
01-23-2014, 08:38 PM
i posted the same thread 2 mins later. mods please delete that one.

navy
01-23-2014, 08:41 PM
Durant and Lebron need to drive more. :

Nash
01-23-2014, 08:43 PM
And that is exactly why Lebron's game is perfect for the playoffs when you die by the jumpshot.

RightToCensor
01-23-2014, 08:43 PM
Houston would be deadly if we would be like Miami and just drive and kick all day.

BlazerRed
01-23-2014, 08:45 PM
Lillard :biggums: :biggums: :biggums:
Lillard us ****ing horrendous around the basket. Part of what's stopping him from being elite. Side shoots 10 percent higher from three than he does on drives :biggums:

JimmyMcAdocious
01-23-2014, 08:47 PM
Ty Law Son.

Inferno
01-23-2014, 08:49 PM
Yup. Lillard's terrible at the rim

ralph_i_el
01-23-2014, 09:09 PM
Jeremy Lin is extremely athletic. He doesn't have insane vert but has faster acceleration than John Wall and D Rose (this was tested by sports science) and is the fastest player ever measured by the Rockets. Yeah read that again, he has faster acceleration than any player since the Rockets began testing such things.

sports science :facepalm They tested that by measuring a couple of clips from games. Not exactly up to scientific standards. Plus "fastest player ever" should really come with the disclaimer that the rockets only started measuring that with embedded accelerators within the past 2 years.

RichieW
01-23-2014, 09:13 PM
Why does everyone think athleticism = vertical leaping? Parker and Lawson are two of the best athletes in the league, no reason they shouldn't be right up there

Joyner82reload
01-23-2014, 09:21 PM
And that is exactly why Lebron's game is perfect for the playoffs when you die by the jumpshot.

Well LeBron lives and dies by the fastbreak

Leftimage
01-23-2014, 09:22 PM

Wow that's painfully wrong.

Parker is one of the quickest end-to-end athletes in the league, if not the #1 quickest. Also very crafty.

Sorry, but in Lin & Parsons cases, it's just science.

I'm sure Harden and Parker are hyperelite athletes in an everyman context, but by NBA standards they are simply average.

OhNoTimNoSho
01-23-2014, 10:32 PM

Wow that's painfully wrong.

Harden is extremely athletic too, have you seen him dunk? Excellent body control, a nice vert, etc. And Parsons is very athletic, WTF? Just because he's white you callin him unathletic?
lol What are you 12? Do you even watch basketball

GoranDragon
01-23-2014, 10:43 PM
King James head and shoulder ABOVE the league.:applause: :bowdown:

Leftimage
01-23-2014, 11:54 PM

Your boy Goran is pretty active in this category as well :cheers:

JebronLames
01-23-2014, 11:59 PM
Imagine if he got the calls durant gets. Would be at 75% :bowdown:

Trollsmasher
01-24-2014, 12:01 AM
Imagine if he got the calls durant gets. Would be at 75% :bowdown:
Exactly. Of those 5,5 drives, Durant gets 4 calls.

LeBron probably gets 2 of 6,5 at best

I<3NBA
01-24-2014, 12:24 AM
Lebron should drive more. look how more Tony Parker takes.

Leftimage
01-24-2014, 12:37 AM
Lebron should drive more. look how more Tony Parker takes.

I feel like he does drive more than Parker but a higher % of the time he passes out. Parker is such a beast when it comes to "bail-out", late shot clock lay-ups. Truly a magician around the rim.

GoranDragon
01-24-2014, 12:37 AM
Goran Dragic > John Wall.:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

knicksman
01-24-2014, 12:40 AM
thats the skillset of lebron. Once diaw defends himm. its over

red1
01-24-2014, 12:47 AM
Well LeBron lives and dies by the fastbreak
:no: He has a post game now. Obviously can't be doubled and few can matchup 1on1. Against your team in the finals he shot a putrid percentage on jumpshots but still dominated the series

SpanishACB
01-24-2014, 04:56 AM
If I get faulted does the graph ignore it or count it as a successful o unsuccessful drive?

If it does the latter it's very wrong.

If it counted as successful (it should, in theory, for good FT shooters) then Durant would be higher, and so would Harden.

elementally morale
01-24-2014, 09:19 AM
If I get faulted does the graph ignore it or count it as a successful o unsuccessful drive?

If it does the latter it's very wrong.

If it counted as successful (it should, in theory, for good FT shooters) then Durant would be higher, and so would Harden.

Yes.

'Points scored per drive' would be a lot more informative.

OmniStrife
01-24-2014, 10:37 AM
The Dragon is doin work!

GoranDragon
01-24-2014, 10:49 AM
The Dragon is doin work!
Most underrated player in the league.:bowdown:

Olacinco
01-24-2014, 11:01 AM
Jameer>>>>Kyrie, Jrue, Kemba, and Lillard??

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

GoranDragon
01-24-2014, 11:02 AM
Jameer>>>>Kyrie, Jrue, Kemba, and Lillard??

Dragic >>>

Olacinco
01-24-2014, 11:42 AM
Chalmers, Lin, Lawson >>>> Dragic

GoranDragon
01-24-2014, 11:44 AM
Chalmers, Lin, Lawson >>>> Dragic

no. :facepalm