PDA

View Full Version : Why the dunk was banned:

CavaliersFTW
01-04-2014, 03:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfkalgtZraE

Footage of Lew Alcindor from Power Memorial High and his first UCLA season. Immediately following his first dominant UCLA season, the NCAA banned dunking.

Rake2204
01-04-2014, 03:41 PM
Good stuff.

Also, I like that official at the 1:30 mark setting up for the power spike.

IGOTGAME
01-04-2014, 03:46 PM
Not one seven footer today that is that this coordinated. Kareem is a vastly underrated athlete

Holy Random
01-04-2014, 03:47 PM
Good stuff.

Also, I like that official at the 1:30 mark setting up for the power spike.
I was wondering wtf you were talking about... then I saw it. That was amazing.

russwest0
01-04-2014, 03:49 PM
:oldlol: The dunk was never banned

yall posting in a troll threaad

CavaliersFTW
01-04-2014, 03:51 PM
Not one seven footer today that is that this coordinated. Kareem is a vastly underrated athlete
And he was already 7-1 and 3/8ths of an inch tall WITHOUT shoes at that particular time. Already taller than Hasheem Thabeet, the tallest player in the NBA right now. Moves with the agility most centers 6-9 or 6-10 don't have.

IncarceratedBob
01-04-2014, 03:52 PM
Predict LeBrons stats if dunking was still banned?

12/6/7 on 41% shooting

russwest0
01-04-2014, 03:56 PM

12/6/7 on 41% shooting

Nah it wouldn't change much. He'd still cherry pick, he'd just have to finish with layups.

CavaliersFTW
01-04-2014, 03:56 PM

The dunk was banned from NCAA ball from the 1968 to the 1977 season. It is known as the Lew Alcindor rule. Please tell me your not this ignorant and that you knew this all along and was just joking :oldlol:

russwest0
01-04-2014, 04:00 PM
The dunk was banned from NCAA ball from the 1968 to the 1977 season. It is known as the Lew Alcindor rule. Please tell me your not this ignorant and that you knew this all along and was just joking :oldlol:

Yeah and there is video proof that the 1985 draft was rigged. Do yall sheeple believe that too? :lol

Amar'e_Juwanna
01-04-2014, 04:00 PM
And he was already 7-1 and 3/8ths of an inch tall WITHOUT shoes at that particular time. Already taller than Hasheem Thabeet, the tallest player in the NBA right now. Moves with the agility most centers 6-9 or 6-10 don't have.

"not gonna work out with weights until the season is over"

CavaliersFTW
01-04-2014, 04:03 PM
Yeah and there is video proof that the 1985 draft was rigged. Do yall sheeple believe that too? :lol
Okay man I get it now, didn't mean to make fun of your tinfoil hat i didn't know it was protecting you from 'them' my bad.

russwest0
01-04-2014, 04:09 PM
Hey CavsFTW I hear the government has put nanobots in our microwaves for mind control :eek: :eek: :eek:

the only way to stop them is wear a tin foil hat!!

CavaliersFTW
01-04-2014, 04:14 PM
Hey CavsFTW I hear the government has put nanobots in our microwaves for mind control :eek: :eek: :eek:

the only way to stop them is wear a tin foil hat!!
http://pedestriantv-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images%2Farticle%2F2013%2F09%2F12%2Fjurassic%2Bpar k%2Bgif.gif

pauk
01-04-2014, 04:16 PM

12/6/7 on 41% shooting
Yea, if getting closer than 80 feet towards the rim was banned... :)

SHAQisGOAT
01-04-2014, 04:16 PM
:bowdown:

Kareem's athleticism is underrated, most people only remember or only watch him with the Lakers in the mid to late 80s, deep in his 30s.
7'2'' player that was really mobile and could jump, very coordinated :eek:

Real Men Wear Green
01-04-2014, 04:17 PM
Okay man I get it now, didn't mean to make fun of your tinfoil hat i didn't know it was protecting you from 'them' my bad.
He really is that stupid. Just leave him alone.

LAZERUSS
01-04-2014, 04:22 PM
I have long maintained that a PEAK Kareem played in the NBA in the early 70's. And this footage gives us a good indication as to why. From those clips, thru his UCLA days, and even the footage of his first year in the NBA, he was clearly at his athletic peak around the early 70's. He was much quicker, and more athletic, than even a mid-70's KAJ. CavsFan has posted footage of his very first NBA game, and in it, he was covering the entire floor. By his second season in the NBA, he would reach his PEAK. He was still as dominant in his third season, but he crumbled in the post-season. And yes, he was still great even into the early 80's, but once again, his PEAK came very early on.

CavaliersFTW
01-04-2014, 04:23 PM
:bowdown:

Kareem's athleticism is underrated, most people only remember or only watch him with the Lakers in the mid to late 80s, deep in his 30s.
7'2'' player that was really mobile and could jump, very coordinated :eek:
He topped out at 7-1 and 7/8ths w/o shoes, so the way they list players today who knows they might even list him 7-3 or 7-4 unless he protested it. He was taller than Hibbert (about 7-1) who is listed 7-2 today and Thabeet (7-1 and 1/4) who is listed 7-3 today.

gts
01-04-2014, 04:40 PM
[I]By Greg Johnson
The NCAA News

John Wooden was attending a game in Pauley Pavilion a few years ago when a UCLA player stole the ball and went in for an acrobatic behind-the-head dunk.

The crowd roared and stomped in approval. Someone sitting behind Wooden asked the legendary UCLA coach what he thought of the play.

dr.hee
01-04-2014, 04:54 PM

:facepalm

LAZERUSS
01-04-2014, 04:56 PM
We all know that the dunk was never banned in the 60's. Why? Because there was no reason to ban it. None of the players of that era could dunk. Most couldn't touch the rim.

avonbarksdale
01-04-2014, 05:03 PM
:P

It's A VC3!!!
01-04-2014, 05:06 PM
He was athletic but geez, look how much bigger he is than everybody else. It's like if I played with 8th graders right now I'd average 45/30 easily.

Pause video at 1:37 and you'll see why you can't take his stats for those seasons seriously at all. He is holding the ball in the air with his hand and nobody can reach it. I did that shit to my little brother.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfkalgtZraE

CavaliersFTW
01-04-2014, 05:14 PM
He was athletic but geez, look how much bigger he is than everybody else. It's like if I played with 8th graders right now I'd average 45/30 easily.

Pause video at 1:37 and you'll see why you can't take his stats for those seasons seriously at all. He is holding the ball in the air with his hand and nobody can reach it. I did that shit to my little brother.
Yeah his puny competition all looks about this height:

http://dimemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/KareemAbdulJabbarDwightHowardATDwightHoward.jpg

It's A VC3!!!
01-04-2014, 05:25 PM
Yeah his puny competition all looks about this height:

http://dimemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/KareemAbdulJabbarDwightHowardATDwightHoward.jpg
Watch the video and stop at 1:37. That's all you need to know about that season and the few after that. I mean come on, that shit would never happen in today's league. Where you can just hold the ball head high above every defender and keep it out of their reach.

CavaliersFTW
01-04-2014, 05:37 PM
Watch the video and stop at 1:37. That's all you need to know about that season and the few after that. I mean come on, that shit would never happen in today's league. Where you can just hold the ball head high above every defender and keep it out of their reach.
Do you not understand what you're looking at? Why are you comparing high school footage and regular season NCAA clips to the NBA? Jabbar faced the likes of Willis Reed and Wilt Chamberlain in the NBA - stop comparing shit you don't understand :oldlol:

gts
01-04-2014, 05:42 PM
Watch the video and stop at 1:37. That's all you need to know about that season and the few after that. I mean come on, that shit would never happen in today's league. Where you can just hold the ball head high above every defender and keep it out of their reach. oh boy...:lol

LAZERUSS
01-04-2014, 06:28 PM

Yep, we all saw what happened to Kareem once he joined the pros...and against players like Walton, Wilt, Thurmond, Moses, Lanier, Gilmore, Parish, Sampson, and Hakeem.

No wonder his NBA career was so unproductive and short-lived.

moe94
01-04-2014, 06:40 PM
He was surprisingly athletic. Like very agile and smooth with his movements.

Vienceslav
01-04-2014, 07:07 PM
Why are there no Kareem stans?
I mean you could argue he is GOAT with the accolades he has.

PHILA
01-04-2014, 07:44 PM
Ebony Magazine - March 1967

http://i.imgur.com/wEuGDdv.png

HomieWeMajor
01-04-2014, 08:01 PM
Ebony Magazine - March 1967

http://i.imgur.com/wEuGDdv.png
Wilt knew wagwarn

BarberSchool
01-04-2014, 08:07 PM
Good stuff.

Also, I like that official at the 1:30 mark setting up for the power spike.haha first thing i LOL'd at too. Old boy looked like he wanted to dunk so bad right then and there.

BarberSchool
01-04-2014, 08:09 PM
I mean you could argue he is GOAT with the accolades he has.I'm a Kareem stan.

I'm the only dude who every time this comes up in barbershop talk, to say that the only possibly threat to Jordan being the GOAT, is Jabbar being a "closer #2 than anyone wants to admit".

rhowen4
01-04-2014, 08:21 PM
ctrl-f "wilt"

CavaliersFTW
01-05-2014, 01:07 AM
bump

fpliii
01-05-2014, 01:09 AM
bump

OT - Do you have a recent revision of the prime Wilt mix? My dad's a big fan of your videos (though he started watching in the early 70s, so it's a little before his time), so I wanted to email him the link. Or do you think I should tell him to wait for the final cut?

:cheers:

CavaliersFTW
01-05-2014, 01:11 AM
OT - Do you have a recent revision of the prime Wilt mix? My dad's a big fan of your videos (though he started watching in the early 70s, so it's a little before his time), so I wanted to email him the link. Or do you think I should tell him to wait for the final cut?

:cheers:
He can watch it now if he wants, just know it isn't near being finished yet there's a lot of material that is missing (like half) and I'm still messing around with the music/audio:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCJwuF-_lj4

fpliii
01-05-2014, 01:12 AM
He can watch it now if he wants, just know it isn't near being finished yet there's a lot of material that is missing (like half) and I'm still messing around with the music/audio:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCJwuF-_lj4

Ah okay, in that case I'll hold off for now. Thanks for the update. :cheers:

Fawker
01-05-2014, 01:16 AM
He aged like fine wine. He was so athletic and brute in his early years, finesse and brains till he retired. He racked up mad points.

CavaliersFTW
01-06-2014, 08:09 PM
http://youtu.be/kDdVQN7xEuI?t=1m27s

Hasheem Thabeet is almost the same height as the young Sophomore Jabbar was in those clips (7-1 and 1/4 vs 7-1 and 3/8ths) and look at how much slower and less coordinated he moves, even as an adult. Jabbar wasn't even done growing and he was far more coordinated. There aren't many 7-1+ people who were as coordinated and light on their feet as Jabbar. Just think about Brook Lopez, he's about 6-11.5 and is one of the premiere offensive centers today (sad but true), but even he moves like Frankenstein compared to Jabbar and he's over 2 inches shorter than what Kareem eventually grew too.

dunksby
01-07-2014, 02:14 AM
You could say I'm a Kareem stan, I have him as the Greatest Of All Time to grace a basketball court. But I don't go around trying to shove it through other people's throat cause in my opinion any intelligent basketball fan would appreciate his greatness.

LAZERUSS
01-07-2014, 03:11 AM
You could say I'm a Kareem stan, I have him as the Greatest Of All Time to grace a basketball court. But I don't go around trying to shove it through other people's throat cause in my opinion any intelligent basketball fan would appreciate his greatness.

Believe it, or not, I have always been a huge fan of Kareem. In fact, I was an Alcindor fan in his college days. I have long maintained that he was, by far and away, the greatest collegian to have ever played.

And I was rooting for him from day one in his NBA career. Being a near life-long Laker fan, I cheered him on in his LA days.

However, IMHO, everything came so easily, and so fast for him, that he became complacent. Yes, when motivated, he could put up 40-50 point games on Walton, Wilt, and Cowens, and even at age 39, against Hakeem and Ewing. But, for whatever reasons, he lacked the desire to dominate over the course of entire seasons (at least after 71-72), and in fact, often couldn't dominate over the course of an entire playoff series...instead just going thru the motions.

And, I honestly believe that he just couldn't sustain his sheer dominance even against the relatively average centers of his era. His post-seasons against the Sonics in the late 70's, while great for most players, were very much below average for him. And, when he faced the relentless Moses in the late 70's, and into the 80's, he just flat couldn't compete. He just didn't have the desire to bang with him for 48 minutes, at either end of the floor.

I believe he could have been much greater. But, the reality was, if Magic had not arrived in '80, I doubt Kareem would have played much longer, and would have retired a big disappointment.

jongib369
01-08-2014, 04:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5dPMl5rYkU

La Frescobaldi
01-08-2014, 05:07 AM

I've seen 3 guys better than anybody else who's ever played. They're in their own elite circle, nobody else is in it. Kareem is the second guy who came along.