PDA

View Full Version : Recent Anthony Davis Interview

ripthekik
12-15-2013, 06:48 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/maginterviewdavis/new-orleans-pelicans-anthony-davis-how-game-changed-season-espn-magazine

From the interview, he seems like a nice dude and works hard as well. His answers are pretty funny and down to earth, he's becoming one of my fav players and I hope the best for him.

Here's some interesting parts:

His rookie season :oldlol:

Broussard: Why?
Davis: I don't think I was as confident. Being out there as a rookie going against these 4's -- Pau Gasol, Zach Randolph, Serge Ibaka, David West. It was like, Man, these guys are nice! They can score. They can kill you. And I just wasn't strong enough. They'd pound me in the post and score like three times, and I was just like, Man, I can't stop them. That would mess with my mind, so I'd try to come down and do something uncharacteristic and turn it over or take a bad shot. I felt the pressure. I heard everybody saying, "Oh, he's a bust. He's not even in the race for rookie of the year." I was like, Man, why am I doing everything wrong?
Tim Duncan :eek:

He told me that when Tim was a rookie going against David Robinson in practice, they had to black out the windows because Tim was just destroying him. His first year.
Toughest Matchup:

Broussard: Who's been your toughest matchup in the NBA?
Davis: Oh, man. David West. He destroyed me last year. The Pacers ended up winning a game last season off three straight elbow jumpers from him. Back to back to back. He was running downcourt looking at his hand. I was like, Aww, man.
He never lifted seriously until the NBA :eek: :eek: :eek:

Broussard: Did you ever lift seriously before last summer?
Davis: In high school, not at all; I didn't lift one weight. I was playing against guys who couldn't guard me and was scoring 30, 35. I was like, What do I need to lift for? In college I started lifting, but we were running through teams, so it was like, Why lift hard? Then my rookie year it was like, Whoa. One hit and I was at the padding. [Laughs]
He never thought he'd make it to the NBA

Broussard: Four years ago, you were a 6'2" guard. What chance did you give yourself of playing in the NBA?
Davis: None. None. Zero.

Broussard: Had you accepted that?
Davis: Yeah, I had. No college was looking at me. My only offer was from Cleveland State. My junior year, I was thinking, Well, I can go to Cleveland State and play four years. It's still Division I. Then I can go overseas, then go to the D-League, and then an NBA team might pick me up. I told my dad I was going to commit to Cleveland State, and he said let's just wait it out and see what happens. Two weeks later, I was in an AAU game. By this point, I was a 6'10" rising senior. I rolled my right ankle and hopped off the floor after scoring six points in six minutes. It was bad. The trainer was like, "You're done for the tournament." I had to use crutches and all that. When I got home, my dad said, "Hey, you've got all these letters from different schools." I was like, What? He showed them to me -- Michigan State, Syracuse, everybody was making me an offer. The offers came just off those six minutes. That was the only time they had seen me play as a 6'10" player. It was the craziest thing. It was amazing to see how everything had changed in the blink of an eye -- off just six minutes.

BlazerRed
12-15-2013, 07:01 AM
Nice read, dude is an athletic freak. Amazing the jump he's made from last year, can't wait to see him back.

poido123
12-15-2013, 07:07 AM
Nice read, dude is an athletic freak. Amazing the jump he's made from last year, can't wait to see him back.

Hell yes.

Talented big man with skills, that goes for Marc Gasol too...

I need the Brow back for my fantasy teams also :(

cos88
12-15-2013, 07:18 AM
something fishy around this thread. no mention of kobe yet :confusedshrug:

ripthekik
12-15-2013, 07:36 AM
Hell yes.

Talented big man with skills, that goes for Marc Gasol too...

I need the Brow back for my fantasy teams also :(
Definitely.. he's my one man blocking machine.. my team is falling apart without him.

It'll be crazy to see where he goes when he has a few more years of working out, adding more to his game, more experience, etc. If this is his 2nd year, I can't wait to see his prime

Myth
12-15-2013, 07:38 AM
Davis must have focused on maybe 1% of people talking about him during his rookie year, because I don't remember people throwing the word "bust" out there for him. Also, Lillard had a great rookie year which is why Davis wasn't going to win it, but even then everybody was still predicting Davis to have the best career out of the rookie class from the beginning to the end of the season.

I<3NBA
12-15-2013, 09:40 AM
no one was saying he was a bust. everyone understood he was injured earlier on, and even then, he was in the discussion for rookie of the year when he started catching up to Lillard.

his lifting weight seemed to have helped him improve this year. good to know he realized he needed to get stronger to not get pushed around.

Nastradamus
12-15-2013, 01:25 PM
Pretty common for young basketball players not to lift, but glad Davis has started. I don't think Pau started until he got to the Lakers.

Genaro
12-15-2013, 01:30 PM
Seems intersting, will read the whole thing.

Fudge
12-15-2013, 01:39 PM
no one was saying he was a bust. everyone understood he was injured earlier on
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267873&page=2

:confusedshrug:

This was just on ISH alone. Imagine the type of shit he got on Twitter, the media, etc.

gts
12-15-2013, 01:50 PM
Nice read... thanx

Fresh Kid
12-15-2013, 02:07 PM
funny story how d-rob got his ass bust by rookie Duncan cuz I would of done tha same shit, even if we gangbanged some fine gurl I would say sum shit like "skip dat niguh's turn":oldlol: & Anthony Davis lucked out on that growth spurt with no lifting at all now that's what really got him to tha NBA:facepalm but he kool tho for now.

magictricked
12-15-2013, 02:54 PM
6'10'' in high school. That's crazy

chocolatethunder
12-15-2013, 03:13 PM
It's no wonder he's grown leaps and bounds as a pro. He has a good head on his shoulders and doesn't think that he's the best player ever. He's humble and coming to the NBA humbled him more and inspired him to work hard. Good for him. I didn't think that he would do well because I thought he was weak. He was weak but he crushed the gyn last summer and straightened that out. I'm glad when I'm wrong about a player because that means that I get to see good basketball from someone. Good for him and us.

ProfessorMurder
12-15-2013, 05:31 PM
Damn Duncan :bowdown:

FKAri
12-15-2013, 09:53 PM
funny story how d-rob got his ass bust by rookie Duncan cuz I would of done tha same shit, even if we gangbanged some fine gurl I would say sum shit like "skip dat niguh's turn":oldlol: & Anthony Davis lucked out on that growth spurt with no lifting at all now that's what really got him to tha NBA:facepalm but he kool tho for now.

wtf did you just say?

moe94
12-15-2013, 09:56 PM
wtf did you just say?

He thinks coming across as black as people over the internet makes him real. These people exist.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
12-15-2013, 10:31 PM
Did he talk about how much of a fakkit he is w/ the haze:facepalm

TonyD
12-15-2013, 11:07 PM
So how do growth spurts at that age work exactly? Is it all over, or just the arms and legs? Because you could be 6"3 and have a package that's a decent size, but if all of sudden you were 6"10 then it would be proportionately smaller. Which would kind of suck, but I guess still worth the trade off.

ripthekik
12-16-2013, 02:53 AM
It's no wonder he's grown leaps and bounds as a pro. He has a good head on his shoulders and doesn't think that he's the best player ever. He's humble and coming to the NBA humbled him more and inspired him to work hard. Good for him. I didn't think that he would do well because I thought he was weak. He was weak but he crushed the gyn last summer and straightened that out. I'm glad when I'm wrong about a player because that means that I get to see good basketball from someone. Good for him and us.
Definitely. He's got those dwight shoulders.. would be scary to see him put on even more muscle over the years like dwight/lebron did