PDA

View Full Version : Construct a trade that makes the Bulls 'legit' contenders

FlawlessVictory
11-12-2013, 07:13 PM
Some may disagree, but I personally do not see the Bulls as serious contenders out East; I have held that opinion since their current roster was completed, so D Roses early struggles is not the reason for this thread.

With the above in mind, is it possible to construct a trade that makes them serious contenders this season?

This one will be controversial and immediately derided due to the names involved, but I personally think it would be great for the Bulls; two major hurdles to overcome with it which I will go into in due course:

http://s12.postimg.org/szmibzcvx/Bulls_Trade.jpg

The Bulls send their first round draft pick for this season and their first round draft pick in 2016 with lottery protection.

Why for the Bulls?

Even with the MVP version of D Rose, this team does not have enough offense/shot creators in its roster to beat Miami and likely Indiana in a 7 game series. Gay is a million miles away from elite but he can create his own offense and can play very good defence. If you place him into Thibbs system with Rose as the number one option, he could thrive. Lowry would be the much needed 6th man/spark off the bench. Gay also provides another good option to defend LeBron.

Salary: Gay is likely to opt out this off-season to seek a longer term deal. Lowry is expiring: So effectively, they get rid of Boozers deal for next season without having to amnesty him. They will then have lots of options on how to move forward next off-season.

Draft Picks: Giving up two first rounders sucks but they still retain that very valuable Charlotte draft pick to use over the next few seasons.

Roster:

Rose/Lowry/James
Butler/Lowry/Deng
Deng/Gay/Snell
Gibson/Deng/Gay
Noah/Naz

You start 2 out of Deng, Gay and Gibson depending on the opposition.

Why for Toronto?

Essentially just for the draft picks. I doubt they want to keep Gay long term and Henrich will expire this year. Boozer only has one year left on his deal after this season and could be a valuable trade chip next off-season.

Hurdles?

The Bulls have one of the cheapest owners in the NBA - Would he give the go ahead to a trade adding approx 4 million in extra salary considering they are already in the luxury tax?

Draft picks: Would the Bulls consider giving up two first rounders too big a price or would Toronto look elsewhere to get better deals for Gay and Lowry?

Thoughts?

TheReal Kendall
11-12-2013, 07:21 PM
Bulls just need a shooter/playmaker to help Rose.

Rose needs to play better also.

I wouldn't give up Boozer and Hinrich for Gay and Lowery.

coin24
11-12-2013, 07:27 PM
Maybe Rose for Westbrook?:oldlol:

But seriously the Bulls arent doing anything this year. 1 or 2 small moves arent changing that, cheap ass owners..

LoneyROY7
11-12-2013, 07:36 PM
http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac15/coolog1/GordonBulls_zpsbfe72b59.png

Gordon for Deng straight up.

Chicago does it because it adds another ball-handler/shot-creator next to Rose and because they can seamlessly slide Jimmy Butler to the 3. Rose and Gordon played high school ball together, so there's already a familiarity with one another. Gordon is also solid defensively, despite his height, so he can fit well in Thibs' defensive-oriented system.

New Orleans does it because it gives them a short-term solution at SF, one of their biggest weaknesses currently. It also frees up cap space and allows Tyreke (who they spent 44 million on in the off-season) to slot in at SG.

poido123
11-12-2013, 07:47 PM
Maybe Rose for Westbrook?:oldlol:

But seriously the Bulls arent doing anything this year. 1 or 2 small moves arent changing that, cheap ass owners..

You're probably right, I just want to see the season play out with the team instead of making any rash decisions with trades etc. Unless of course Portland or Wolves want to trade their power forwards for anyone not Rose, Butler or Noah.

Yes our owner is cheap, which is a good reason why he is rich :confusedshrug:

Uncle Drew
11-12-2013, 07:47 PM
http://www.imgdumper.nl/uploads7/5282be0d44bd8/5282be0d4114b-sss.png

flipogb
11-12-2013, 07:49 PM
they need a good SG, but they will probably end up giving that guy away by the end of the year like OKC does

poido123
11-12-2013, 07:53 PM
they need a good SG, but they will probably end up giving that guy away by the end of the year like OKC does

Butler is pretty solid to me :confusedshrug:

I don't think there's a lot we can do right now. We will have to wait to see Deng come off the books and of course Boozer.

We need a scoring SF and PF who can generate their own offense or take off the dribble, to compliment Noah's defense and help out Rose.

RoundMoundOfReb
11-12-2013, 07:56 PM
Bulls only gain 2 wins. That isn't enough. :biggums:

EnoughSaid
11-12-2013, 07:57 PM
They should have tried for get someone like Monta Ellis in. Just someone that's willing to play in their defensive system but also can create his own shot and allow the offense to live.

poido123
11-12-2013, 08:06 PM
They should have tried for get someone like Monta Ellis in. Just someone that's willing to play in their defensive system but also can create his own shot and allow the offense to live.

I think he would of been great for the bulls. Rose and Ellis taking turns at penetrating the defense? It would be fun to watch :rockon:

However if they were letting go of Nate because of money, they sure as hell won't take Ellis on who is a better version of Nate.

SpecialQue
11-12-2013, 08:08 PM

:lebronamazed:

coin24
11-12-2013, 08:08 PM
Should try and get Shabazz off the Wolves, hes just rotting on there bench anyway...

Also they should have gone for OJ, but i guess they dont want to pay. Even $2 or 3m for Nate? Thats cold after he made them watchable in the playoffs...

poido123
11-12-2013, 08:10 PM
Should try and get Shabazz off the Wolves, hes just rotting on there bench anyway...

Our front office is too conservative to take on someone with character issues...

Not saying that he's a headcase or anything, but Bulls generally go for squeeky clean guys.

outbreak
11-12-2013, 08:16 PM
I'm guessing hollingers analysis only goes on games so far this season? Lebron only adding a couple wins is pretty crazy.

Anyway they won't move Deng, as solid as he is the Bulls have an irrational love for him and won't part with him for anything. The only move I seem them making is to unload a first rounder or two for a mid tier scoring piece. Someone like an Afflalo or something that isn't a game changer on their own but can help give them a push. The bulls won't blow it all up, maybe at the end of next season if they struggle but this year they will stay pat and let rose rehab his way back into the game. He doesn't look like he's lost anything athletically just looks like he's mentally not ready yet and his body isn't feeling the game.

outbreak
11-12-2013, 08:18 PM
Our front office is too conservative to take on someone with character issues...

Not saying that he's a headcase or anything, but Bulls generally go for squeeky clean guys.

http://prosportsextra.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Dennis-Rodman.jpg

andremiller07
11-12-2013, 08:21 PM
Aaron Afflalo would be a nice addition if they can figure something out, Magic need a young PG with upside so maybe Marcus Teague in the deal with something. Plus it opens up playing time for Victor @SG which is his natural position.

Bobcats2013
11-12-2013, 08:23 PM
http://i44.tinypic.com/2v34ion.jpg

Denver will get Chicago's 1st rounder in 2014 and 2016, and both Atlanta's 1st and 2nd rounder in 2014.

outbreak
11-12-2013, 08:25 PM
Aaron Afflalo would be a nice addition if they can figure something out, Magic need a young PG with upside so maybe Marcus Teague in the deal with something. Plus it opens up playing time for Victor @SG which is his natural position.
Nelson, afflalo orbig baby will likely be going for youth and picks at the all star break, Bulls are a team I could see being interested.

LoneyROY7
11-12-2013, 08:26 PM
http://i44.tinypic.com/2v34ion.jpg

Denver will get Chicago's 1st rounder in 2014 and 2016, and both Atlanta's 1st and 2nd rounder in 2014.

I don't see how that fills any area of need for Chicago.

andremiller07
11-12-2013, 08:28 PM
Atlanta kills every other team in that deal, Denver get's smashed.

All Net
11-12-2013, 08:29 PM
A legit 2nd option star would help.

poido123
11-12-2013, 08:33 PM

Since Paxson 2003, so that would leave out Rodman :lol

He was a bit nutty, but he was coachable and he did what was asked of him on the court...So perhaps Rodman was a small stretch :lol

Eric Cartman
11-12-2013, 08:33 PM

Now I'm blind.

outbreak
11-12-2013, 08:37 PM
Since Paxson 2003, so that would leave out Rodman :lol

He was a bit nutty, but he was coachable and he did what was asked of him on the court...So perhaps Rodman was a small stretch :lol

Yeah I knew what you meant but I couldn't pass up the chance :lol
I'd even call Jordan a bit of a nut job to be fair with all the off court stories around him. But yeah their management does take on guys who will work hard and be professional on the court and who cares what they get up to in their free time so long as they turn up ready to play and fill their role.

Bobcats2013
11-12-2013, 08:39 PM

Boozer I feel would mix very well with Vazquez coming off the bench. Vazquez is well rounded offensively. Atlanta gets the steal because the Nuggets are doing a great tanking job. Hinrich fits well in Sacramento.

Teanett
11-12-2013, 08:50 PM
rose and boozer for lebron

FlawlessVictory
11-13-2013, 05:02 AM
Some decent ideas posted mixed with the predictable cretins with the usual LeBron proposals.

Another one which has been mentioned :

Aaron Affalo and Jameer Nelson for Deng and Teague

Bulls take on less than a million extra in salary.

Magic clear two multi year deals and are left with a roster full of lottery picks to move forward with.

Bulls move Butler to the 3 and start Affalo at the two. Three point shooting gets a huge upgrade. Nelson would be a great 6th man/spark off the bench which they badly need imo.

Bulls potentially throw in their first round pick from this year to get it over the line...

Thoughts?

poido123
11-13-2013, 05:23 AM
Some decent ideas posted mixed with the predictable cretins with the usual LeBron proposals.

Magic clear two multi year deals and are left with a roster full of lottery picks to move forward with.

Bulls move Butler to the 3 and start Affalo at the two. Three point shooting gets a huge upgrade. Nelson would be a great 6th man/spark off the bench which they badly need imo.

Bulls potentially throw in their first round pick from this year to get it over the line...

Thoughts?

I like it.

Someone needs to get into Paxson's ear and get onto this :pimp:

RoTM
11-13-2013, 09:40 AM
Rudy Gay sucks. Contenders don't give away good players for nothing.

Wait for Knicks to collapse, steal Shumpert from them.

Mass Debator
11-13-2013, 11:35 AM
Should've kept Nate somehow.
Start Hinrich with Rose.
Boozer and something for Josh Smith?

TheReturn
11-13-2013, 11:45 AM
No trades, just see what this team can do if they can stay healthy.

nightprowler10
11-13-2013, 11:50 AM
With a backcourt of Rose, Hinrich, Butler, Dunleavy, and Teague, how many minutes do people think Nate would've played?

alexd
11-13-2013, 11:51 AM
They can t win if their best player by far is a pg.plus they have no scoring from th bench.they can play d but hey u got to score too

Budadiiii
11-13-2013, 11:57 AM
Derrick Rose for Eric Gordon straight up makes them a better team.

Still not a contender but headed in the right direction.

We all know a D-Rose team will never sniff a championship. This Bulls squad will be on the fringe for many many years.

Curse of Jordan.

BarberSchool
11-13-2013, 12:06 PM

Thoughts?If we can somehow do this, but then still pull off the Boozer, Butler, and picks for Love & Brewer trade, we'll win the east so long as Rose and Noah stay healthy. I've loved Aflalo since UCLA, and always thought he would compliment Rose perfectly in our backcourt.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2crqdm8.jpg

guy
11-13-2013, 12:09 PM
Boozer, Teague, pick to Atlanta for Horford

Deng, Hinrich, pick to NO for Gordon, Anderson (i love Deng and Hinrich, but lets face it, they're not coming back. I'm pretty sure Gordon didn't want to go to NOH in the first place and Anderson is going to come off the bench anyway, so I'm sure he'd rather do it for a contender.)

HurricaneKid
11-13-2013, 12:10 PM
Gay is likely to opt out this off-season to seek a longer term deal.

There is a zero % chance Gay opts out. His next deal might not be for as much as he is going to get next year.

Monday night he went 11/37. 26 misses. LeBron, KLove, Paul George have combined for ZERO games of >25 shots.

Tmuston Beltics
11-13-2013, 12:31 PM
If we can somehow do this, but then still pull off the Boozer, Butler, and picks for Love & Brewer trade, we'll win the east so long as Rose and Noah stay healthy. I've loved Aflalo since UCLA, and always thought he would compliment Rose perfectly in our backcourt.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2crqdm8.jpg

Did you take a picture of your screen with your phone then upload it online?:applause:

kshutts1
11-13-2013, 12:34 PM
OP. Love the thorough breakdown of your trade. I don't necessarily agree with it, but it's nice to see someone put some thought in to both sides of a trade, rather than just one.

Not buying the Afflalo love, particularly for the Bulls team. He's not a shot creator, just a sometimes shot maker, while being a solid defender.

As for Gay... no.

Bulls' most major needs, in no particular order: Outside shooting, someone that can create their own shot, just pure scoring ability.

I'll post some trade ideas in a minute.

BarberSchool
11-13-2013, 12:34 PM
Did you take a picture of your screen with your phone then upload it online?:applause:We're on Linux here at the office, and I'm a non-tech-saavy Mac guy LOL

DMAVS41
11-13-2013, 12:36 PM
http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac15/coolog1/GordonBulls_zpsbfe72b59.png

Gordon for Deng straight up.

Chicago does it because it adds another ball-handler/shot-creator next to Rose and because they can seamlessly slide Jimmy Butler to the 3. Rose and Gordon played high school ball together, so there's already a familiarity with one another. Gordon is also solid defensively, despite his height, so he can fit well in Thibs' defensive-oriented system.

New Orleans does it because it gives them a short-term solution at SF, one of their biggest weaknesses currently. It also frees up cap space and allows Tyreke (who they spent 44 million on in the off-season) to slot in at SG.

This deal would be great for the Pelicans...

Bulls would never do it though. Taking on an over-rated and overpaid player with 3 years left on a big contract is silly. Although if there is a team out there in which Gordon could excel on...it would probably be the Bulls.

The Bulls need to trade Deng. He has legit trade value and most likely he leaves in the off season...

The Pelicans ****ed up so badly here. They shouldn't have signed Gordon and if you make the argument they had to...they should be actively trying to trade him as we speak, they shouldn't have traded the Noel pick, and they shouldn't have signed Evans, and they should currently be trying to trade Andersen. They could have built around Dave and Noel and been bad this year to try to get a top 5 pick....instead they are at best a fringe playoff contender with like 3 terrible contracts. They have entered the the zone of the worst place to be as a franchise...a fringe playoff team. And by the time they could actually win playoffs series...all the current contracts will be up and the team will change a lot.

Terrible decision making. Stern's trade ****ed them. If they could move Gordon and Andersen...they have to do it.

They should absolutely be looking to get out of that Gordon contract, but they are probably too stubborn to admit how bad that signing was.

kshutts1
11-13-2013, 01:02 PM
Trades listed most to least favorite. Realistic "scale" will be mentioned.

Deng, Snell, Teague, Murphy, rights to Mirotic, Charlotte's first, Chicago's first for Melo.
-- Obviously this is a lot, but Melo's a great player, and he would fit perfectly on Chicago (only better fit I can think of is Durant).
Realism is not very high, as Knicks would have to believe they need to rebuild, but it's a great trade if they choose to rebuild. So I'll put realism at 3/10.

Deng and Gibson for Gordon, Anderson, protected future first.
-- Only reason Bulls would ask for a pick is because of Gordon's injury history. The players fit perfectly for each team. Salaries match. Take out Gordon's injury history and it's a done deal. Let the Pels sweeten the pot because of that, and it should be a done deal.
Realism is by far the highest, but on the other hand the Bulls have shown an aversion to risk. So I'll temper my realism and say 7/10.

Gibson, Snell for Wilson Chandler and Faried.
-- Bulls get more shooting and D from Chandler, while Faried brings energy and athleticism to the front court that has been missing. Sucks to lose Gibson's shot, but the athleticism is nice. Nuggets get a big that can shoot and a player that is basically a young Wilson Chandler.
Realism is probably pretty good.. 5/10.

Deng, Mohammed, Bulls first for Evans, Morrow, Steimsma.
-- Bulls get playmaking and shooting without sacrificing D. Pels flip some bench players for an all-star caliber starter at their weakest position, and pick up a pick in the process.
Realism is probably the highest, but again... I'm not too sure Bulls want to trade Deng. For that reason alone, this stays at 5/10.

Boozer, Snell, Mohammed, our 2016 then two of: Charlotte's pick, our pick, Mirotic for Horford and Lou Williams.
-- Bulls get a better post option than Boozer, and a significantly better defender. LW can create and make his own shots (is he healthy/playing?). Horford and Noah together again. Hawks don't do this unless they start to suck pretty badly, as Horford is, rightfully so, their future, and Millsap and Boozer are very similar.
Realism is probably a 4/10. The trade is fair; that was my goal. But it relies too much on Atlanta not playing well, and I believe that they will continue to play well, and may even make some noise in the playoffs.

Deng for Thornton, Salmons, protected first.
-- Bulls get shooting/scoring from Thornton, and Salmons can shoot equally as well as Deng. Maintain versatility, but lose some individual D. Pick is a sweetener. Kings get an all-star caliber SF with a great attitude and work ethic. McLemore, Deng, Cousins is a pretty bright future, IMO. For pick protection I'm thinking top 5 this year, then unprotected next.
Realism not too high, as I see both sides saying no. Bulls don't want to give up Deng for such "minimal" talent (I think I'm the only person that likes Thornton), while Kings would be unwilling to give up the pick. Probably a 1.5/10.

Deng, Butler, Mirotic, Bulls 2014 and 2016, Charlotte's pick for Durant.
-- Reasons for Bulls are obvious. For Thunder... well, check the realism score. But if I could try.... If they're afraid that Durant will leave, you literally won't get a better offer. Deng is no superstar, nor is Butler, but both are/will be all-star talent. Then add in the 3 picks and Mirotic, and that's a pretty legit haul, IMO.
Realism is negative? 0/10. But I can dream.

DMAVS41
11-13-2013, 01:11 PM
Trades listed most to least favorite. Realistic "scale" will be mentioned.

Deng, Snell, Teague, Murphy, rights to Mirotic, Charlotte's first, Chicago's first for Melo.
-- Obviously this is a lot, but Melo's a great player, and he would fit perfectly on Chicago (only better fit I can think of is Durant).
Realism is not very high, as Knicks would have to believe they need to rebuild, but it's a great trade if they choose to rebuild. So I'll put realism at 3/10.

Deng and Gibson for Gordon, Anderson, protected future first.
-- Only reason Bulls would ask for a pick is because of Gordon's injury history. The players fit perfectly for each team. Salaries match. Take out Gordon's injury history and it's a done deal. Let the Pels sweeten the pot because of that, and it should be a done deal.
Realism is by far the highest, but on the other hand the Bulls have shown an aversion to risk. So I'll temper my realism and say 7/10.

Deng, Mohammed, Bulls first for Evans, Morrow, Steimsma.
-- Bulls get playmaking and shooting without sacrificing D. Pels flip some bench players for an all-star caliber starter at their weakest position, and pick up a pick in the process.
Realism is probably the highest, but again... I'm not too sure Bulls want to trade Deng. For that reason alone, this stays at 5/10.

Boozer, Snell, Mohammed, our 2016 then two of: Charlotte's pick, our pick, Mirotic for Horford and Lou Williams.
-- Bulls get a better post option than Boozer, and a significantly better defender. LW can create and make his own shots (is he healthy/playing?). Horford and Noah together again. Hawks don't do this unless they start to suck pretty badly, as Horford is, rightfully so, their future, and Millsap and Boozer are very similar.
Realism is probably a 4/10. The trade is fair; that was my goal. But it relies too much on Atlanta not playing well, and I believe that they will continue to play well, and may even make some noise in the playoffs.

Deng for Thornton, Salmons, protected first.
-- Bulls get shooting/scoring from Thornton, and Salmons can shoot equally as well as Deng. Maintain versatility, but lose some individual D. Pick is a sweetener. Kings get an all-star caliber SF with a great attitude and work ethic. McLemore, Deng, Cousins is a pretty bright future, IMO. For pick protection I'm thinking top 5 this year, then unprotected next.
Realism not too high, as I see both sides saying no. Bulls don't want to give up Deng for such "minimal" talent (I think I'm the only person that likes Thornton), while Kings would be unwilling to give up the pick. Probably a 1.5/10.

Deng, Butler, Mirotic, Bulls 2014 and 2016, Charlotte's pick for Durant.
-- Reasons for Bulls are obvious. For Thunder... well, check the realism score. But if I could try.... If they're afraid that Durant will leave, you literally won't get a better offer. Deng is no superstar, nor is Butler, but both are/will be all-star talent. Then add in the 3 picks and Mirotic, and that's a pretty legit haul, IMO.
Realism is negative? 0/10. But I can dream.

I just don't see the Pelicans giving up a pick in that trade.

I think both teams should do that deal though if it was on the table without the pick.

Deng is leaving anyway...and it's pretty much win now time in Chicago. The problem is that I don't see the Bulls taking on so much salary over 3 years for a player who's maybe worth half of it in Gordon.

The Pelicans should jump at the chance to move Gordon...and if they got back an expiring contract...it's about as good as you can do.

RoundMoundOfReb
11-13-2013, 01:12 PM
Love is a legit MVP candidate. He's not getting traded. Especially not for butler and boozer.

kshutts1
11-13-2013, 01:18 PM
I just don't see the Pelicans giving up a pick in that trade.

I think both teams should do that deal though if it was on the table without the pick.

Deng is leaving anyway...and it's pretty much win now time in Chicago. The problem is that I don't see the Bulls taking on so much salary over 3 years for a player who's maybe worth half of it in Gordon.

The Pelicans should jump at the chance to move Gordon...and if they got back an expiring contract...it's about as good as you can do.
Which is why they should be ok with giving up a protected pick. And the Bulls would have to ask for a pick because of the first bolded statement. You kind of made an argument for the pick yourself....

scm5
11-13-2013, 01:22 PM
I'm guessing hollingers analysis only goes on games so far this season? Lebron only adding a couple wins is pretty crazy.

Well, Boozer has been a monster this season.

18/8/2 on 60% FG and 65% TS%

24.5 PER

Lebron has a PER of 27.1 this season

I'm assuming Hollinger bases his +/- wins on PER.

kshutts1
11-13-2013, 01:23 PM
I'm a huge Bulls fan, and I've never been satisfied with the Front Office's apparent acceptance of "mediocrity". They believe that not taking risks and riding out their mostly-topped-out roster will get them over the top. I believe differently.

And obviously I think that a major shake-up is required. I can't think of many smaller deals (in terms of contracts) that would get the job done.

That being said, some small-contract targets...
Beal -- not realistic

Kevin Martin -- He and the Wolves have been playing too well for this to currently be realistic

Redick and/or Crawford -- Somewhat realistic. A future asset (pick or rights) would probably put this over the top, but not sure either guy is worth that

Lowry -- Not realistic, because he's not worth giving up much.. maybe Hinrich and a protected pick

Wilson Chandler -- Not realistic, unless the deal also includes Faried, and Bulls send over Gibson and a protected pick... Actually, I kind of like that one. Going to add it to the previous post.

DMAVS41
11-13-2013, 01:24 PM
Which is why they should be ok with giving up a protected pick. And the Bulls would have to ask for a pick because of the first bolded statement. You kind of made an argument for the pick yourself....

The Pelicans aren't giving up a pick and the player they got in the CP3 trade for an expiring contract. You can't sell that to fans.

And even with the pick, I don't see how the Bulls would do that. I'm not looking at it from just one side.

And I also don't think they'd take back Gibson. Why would they? He has 1 more year of a bad contract than Andersen. And Andersen is probably more valuable to them on the floor and in trades.

They only way I see that going down would be Gordon for Deng...with the Pelicans getting a 2nd round pick in like 5 years or something..from the Pelicans point of view. And I just don't see how the Bulls pull that trigger.

kshutts1
11-13-2013, 01:29 PM
The Pelicans aren't giving up a pick and the player they got in the CP3 trade for an expiring contract. You can't sell that to fans.

And even with the pick, I don't see how the Bulls would do that. I'm not looking at it from just one side.

And I also don't think they'd take back Gibson. Why would they? He has 1 more year of a bad contract than Andersen. And Andersen is probably more valuable to them on the floor and in trades.

They only way I see that going down would be Gordon for Deng...with the Pelicans getting a 2nd round pick in like 5 years or something..from the Pelicans point of view. And I just don't see how the Bulls pull that trigger.
We disagree pretty strongly here, I think. That may be the issue.

I see Anderson as being nothing but a (very good) one-trick-pony. A 3p shooter. Pairing him with a low post scoring threat is very nice, or with a shot creator.

On the other hand, Gibson has a very well rounded game, in the same mold as Haslem. How well he would do starting, and with starters' minutes, remains to be seen, but I think he could be a 15/9 guy with above average D. He's a low-ish tier Swiss Army Knife. Good pairing with Davis (unless Davis only projects as a PF).

DMAVS41
11-13-2013, 01:34 PM
We disagree pretty strongly here, I think. That may be the issue.

I see Anderson as being nothing but a (very good) one-trick-pony. A 3p shooter. Pairing him with a low post scoring threat is very nice, or with a shot creator.

On the other hand, Gibson has a very well rounded game, in the same mold as Haslem. How well he would do starting, and with starters' minutes, remains to be seen, but I think he could be a 15/9 guy with above average D. He's a low-ish tier Swiss Army Knife. Good pairing with Davis (unless Davis only projects as a PF).

It just seems redundant to have Gibson as well. They play the same position roughly and you are spending 8 to 9 million a year on him...for 1 more year than the Andersen contract.

I just think the Pelicans would be better off shipping Andersen out for a center...or just shipping him for an expiring contract on a future 2nd rounder or something.

kshutts1
11-13-2013, 01:49 PM
It just seems redundant to have Gibson as well. They play the same position roughly and you are spending 8 to 9 million a year on him...for 1 more year than the Andersen contract.

I just think the Pelicans would be better off shipping Andersen out for a center...or just shipping him for an expiring contract on a future 2nd rounder or something.
They would be much better off shipping him out for Asik. But that trade just makes too much sense. So much sense that it will probably never happen, lol.

DMAVS41
11-13-2013, 01:50 PM
They would be much better off shipping him out for Asik. But that trade just makes too much sense. So much sense that it will probably never happen, lol.

Agreed.

Don't get me wrong. If the deal was just Gordon for Deng straight up. I'd do it if I was both teams for sure. I'm just thinking realistically with what these teams would actually do.

The Pelicans have to worry about fan backlash about the CP3 trade...and the Bulls have to worry about taking on a bad contract with a player that may just not be that good.

But the Bulls need to move Deng...that's for sure in my opinion.