PDA

View Full Version : Bynum takes shot at Laker fans

Fudge
07-24-2013, 11:58 AM
[QUOTE]

Lakers2877
07-24-2013, 12:01 PM
That's really stupid. People here lose their minds over the lakers. Celebrities and hedge fund managers who can afford lower bowl/court side seats do not represent the laker fan base. Bynum was just kissing Cleveland fans asses

scm5
07-24-2013, 12:17 PM
That's really stupid. People here lose their minds over the lakers. Celebrities and hedge fund managers who can afford lower bowl/court side seats do not represent the laker fan base. Bynum was just kissing Cleveland fans asses

Laker fans are passionate.... on message boards where players don't really frequent and feel the love.

Laker games are so boring to go to and I'm sure the "passion" Bynum is talking about is the excitement and energy he gets from Staples whenever he plays there. I don't find anything wrong with what he's saying. I don't even really enjoy going to Laker games that much, I would prefer watching the game at home or at a bar most of the time.

kennethgriffin
07-24-2013, 12:29 PM
he's right... laker fans at the games arnt the same as the ones watching at home..

half the crowd is just some hipster celebrities or wannabe's pretending to be fans

LA as a city is pretty wack

the lakers deserve better

no pun intended
07-24-2013, 12:32 PM
he's right... laker fans at the games arnt the same as the ones watching at home..

half the crowd is just some hipster celebrities or wannabe's pretending to be fans

Finally a post from kennethgriffin that I can wholeheartedly attest to

Spaulding
07-24-2013, 12:47 PM

:applause:

PJR
07-24-2013, 12:51 PM

Best post you ever made.

Droid101
07-24-2013, 12:52 PM
Sit in the upper level seats to see what real Laker fans are like. They go bananas for their team.

LosScandalous
07-24-2013, 12:56 PM

LA is the greatest city on planet earth.

Wait till Bynum lives in depressing cleveland a few years, He'll be looking to be on a big city team near the end of his career.

You have also obviously never been to a Lakers game if you think the crowd looks anything like that.

PJR
07-24-2013, 12:57 PM
Sit in the upper level seats to see what real Laker fans are like. They go bananas for their team.

:oldlol: Ya, uh huh. That' exactly what we say here in Miami/South Florida. But nobody wants to hear it.

Which is why I laugh every time the contingent of Laker fans on discussion forums take pot shots at Miami fans. Pot calling the kettle black.

LosScandalous
07-24-2013, 01:01 PM

this.

I'm not saying LA is the loudest crowd in the league but you haven't lived until you sat in the 300 section having a bunch of cholos yell "we want tacos" at the end of the game.

Hollywood glitz and glamour outshines the real fans but you gotta look over that. It's just the benefit that comes with the city.

Lakernation is just as passionate as any other fanbase. We're just spoiled.

DukeDelonte13
07-24-2013, 01:17 PM
Anybody that says LA fans aren't crazy about their lakers is stupid. I think the real issue bynum may be trying to elude to is because the laker fans are so passionate every thing the lakers franchise does is looked at under a microscope. There is a lot more pressure on the players and coaches to perform there.

It's like the Browns here. we have an ultra passionate browns fanbase in cleveland. We get a week of nonstop coverage in the middle of the offseason if an assistant coach has a case of the hiccups or something. Its ridiculous. On the flip side Cavs add a bunch of new players and draft picks and nobody bats an eye.

scm5
07-24-2013, 01:19 PM
Anybody that says LA fans aren't crazy about their lakers is stupid. I think the real issue bynum may be trying to elude to is because the laker fans are so passionate every thing the lakers franchise does is looked at under a microscope. There is a lot more pressure on the players and coaches to perform there.

It's like the Browns here. we have an ultra passionate browns fanbase in cleveland. We get a week of nonstop coverage in the middle of the offseason if an assistant coach has a case of the hiccups or something. Its ridiculous. On the flip side Cavs add a bunch of new players and draft picks and nobody bats an eye.

Pretty sure Bynum is referring to the fans passion during games. Staples Center is dead compared to other arenas even though it's perpetually sold out for Laker games.

thabisyo
07-24-2013, 01:25 PM

http://www.vialosangeles.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Its-so-beautiful.gif

SpurrDurr
07-24-2013, 01:25 PM

:applause:

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/12381997/bi-2pehcmaagnit.0_standard_709.0.jpg

WayOfWade
07-24-2013, 01:26 PM
It really is a shame that the tickets are so expensive that the real diehard Laker fans never get as low as the upper bowl. I'd much prefer them over the people who go court side just to text. I'm sure those less appreciated Laker fans are actually knowledgable about the game and level-headed in discussions (which Laker fans here primarily lack).

I<3NBA
07-24-2013, 01:34 PM
he's taking a shot at fans valuing Kobe over LA team in general.

and he's right.

Legends66NBA7
07-24-2013, 01:48 PM
So he's taking a shot at Laker fans, but not Sixer fans too ?

:confusedshrug:

Myth
07-24-2013, 01:56 PM

I've done that on multiple occasions, and they were not so crazy. Maybe I'm just too used to upper level in Portland. But I went to a Lakers game and it was a close game, and me sitting down the whole game completely quiet fit right in with most of those around me.

thesage
07-24-2013, 01:57 PM

You used your brain?!?!?!?!

GOBB
07-24-2013, 02:24 PM
Bynum questioning fans passion for the game? :roll:

Whether what he said is valid or not you just need to shut thee f*ck up. Or is it me? Because you still have to prove you can stay on the court long enough to help a team. So why run your mouth when you have to prove not only that but if you are a leader, franchise caliber player and most importantly have matured?

Funny coming from me as these were things Lakers fans said when Sixers landed the big Goof. I just think the year he had which was non existent he should keep his opinions to himself. Prove yourself then run your mouth and tell people to kiss your ass. Again, maybe its just me.

Sidenote: Are Cavs fans any more passionate than Lakers fans?

TheGreatDeraj
07-24-2013, 02:47 PM
I'm a big Bynum fan and I don't think this is a shot at Laker fans, but just him praising his new team. He's obviously heard Lakers fans cheering him on over the years especially during the champion era.

If anything it would be refering to the celebrities and other people in LA who just go to Laker games because it is the cool thing to do. I'm sure he knows that Laker fans are some of the best in the league.

Lakers fans are awesome. I'm a Laker fan and I went to the Hawks vs Lakers game in Atlanta this year (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci0k-YqY3PY). It was probably 40/60 Laker/Hawks fans. My whole section was Lakers fans minus a few people and we were loud.

We knew it was going to be a good game, because in LA about a week and a half ago the Lakers had beaten the Hawks in a thriller (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn2DQNZMyPs) with Kobe closing it out with a dunk over Josh Smith and then a game winning layup over him.

Also, between that game and the game I went to the Lakers,and Kobe in particular, had some very entertaining and incredibly played games against the hornets (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mufmRK0OL-E) the raptors (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrZ_qZj9rrM)

Lakers had obviously had a subpar season as we were adjusting to new players and going through injuries and 3 coaches, but i early march they started their climb that lasted until the end of the season with the Kobe injury. Us Laker fans felt the momentum after several good games in a row as the team was gaining some chemistry. We were coming into the game in Atlanta excited and ready to go.

However, The first half only had a few moments because the Lakers were down pretty much the whole half. Lakers were were down 14 early in the third quarter. Nobody had a good first half. Even kobe was like 1-7 or something, so that kind of took the wind out of the crowd a little bit.

It started to change in the third though (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0zyXdkDD8E#t=13s). Kobe hits a layup then a jumper the whole team starts picking up on offense. Can't get consistent stops though. Then Kobe hits another jumper and the crowd starts getting getting louder. Then another tough jumper and another and another and then he crosses up and gets and one. Crowd is loving the show and we get a nice MVP chant in. It goes from a 14 point game to a 5 point game. Lakers get a stop.

The next play Kobe does an in and out dribble with his right hand brings it back between his legs to his left hand then crosses Johnson up again and he drives right and stops at his signature free throw angle spot and nails the midrange J. 3 point game. The crowd is absolutely going nuts.

Next play Kobe gets a steal and the hits a hanging midrange J. 1 point game. The crowd is so loud it seems like a home game.

Defense picks up in the fourth. Lakers get out to an early lead lead by the defense of Dwight and Metta. Both crowds are buzzing at this point. Hawks battle back and take a two point lead. Kobe puts the Lakers up by one with a three and we overpower the Hawks fans again.

And then when Kobe hit that impossible 3 with about 20 seconds to go the place was roaring! Of course, when he missed the game winner and Jones stepped under him hurting Kobe's ankle everyone in the building was on their feet standing in silence waiting to see if Kobe was okay.

Laker fans were pissed at the no call; Jones hit him on the follow through with his body then impeded Kobe's ability to land. Should have been two freethrows and overtime.

It's not just in Atlanta either. I watch every Laker game and there is always a contingent of Laker fans in EVERY arena cheering. Boston, NY, Miami it doesn't matter. Us Laker fas here in Georgia were so loud we got a video on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn2DQNZMyPs).

SwayDizzle
07-24-2013, 03:12 PM
I miss Bynum and Odom

Solefade
07-24-2013, 03:22 PM
Bynum is right. Laker fans are notoriously fair weather. Where were all the Laker fans before they suddenly surfaced in 2008?

lakerspng
07-24-2013, 03:28 PM
My guess is everyone talking smack about Lakrs fans is not from los Angeles, because if you are, you know how die hard this city is for our team.

Ridiculous and butt-hurt statement from Bynum. Way to pander to your new fanbase.

Marchesk
07-24-2013, 03:34 PM

Funny thing is that the Cavs are a lot more likely to become contenders in the near future. But who knows, maybe the Browns will suck into a good QB in the draft at some point.

PickernRoller
07-24-2013, 07:32 PM
This has got to be the spin of the year or right there is in the Top 3. The idiots drooling over it is just well, idiotic. There is no relevance nor facts in this claim which is not btw, what Bynum meant to say other than kiss Cleveland butt like he tried to do with the 76ers. But hey, it's ISH.

RedBlackAttack
07-24-2013, 07:34 PM
Funny thing is that the Cavs are a lot more likely to become contenders in the near future. But who knows, maybe the Browns will suck into a good QB in the draft at some point.
The Browns have been the worst franchise in the NFL from a success standpoint over the last 14 years. They've been terrible.

It doesn't matter. The Browns will always be a distant no. 1 in Cleveland. That's just the way it is. This is major football country and the Browns, despite all the losing, are beloved.

It's funny because, as you said, the Cavs (and the Indians) have been far more successful over the last 10+ years. Hell, both the Cavs and Indians have appeared in Championship Series/World Series in the last 16 years. Numerous playoff runs and a lot of high profile teams for both the Indians and Cavs.

None of that matters. We're in the middle of the NFL offseason. The Cavs had a huge draft and made some huge free agency move and the Indians are just 3 1/2 games back of Detroit for 1st place in the division.

Meanwhile, the Browns will release some inane statement about personnel matters and it is automatically the top story.

...don't get me wrong... I love the Browns too. And I understand the passion. But, I don't think people outside of the region understand just how much attention the Browns get as opposed to the others.

Luckily, this area is sports crazy enough to be that crazy about the Browns, but still give good support to the Cavs (and the Indians to a lesser extent). We've definitely reached a point where the Cavs are no. 2 on the pecking order. A decade of trading away Cy Young winners in their prime and losing guys like Manny Ramirez and Jim Thome has taken its toll on the Indians. And, passion for the Cavs has really grown in recent years.

As for Bynum's comments...

I really don't think they were aimed at the Lakers. The two fanbases really are completely different. The Lakers' fanbase is far larger and spread out all across the country. Cleveland, meanwhile, operates in its own sort of protective bubble.

It's just... different. I think that's what he was trying to say, but he worded it poorly.

He also wants to endear himself to the fans here, first and foremost.

KyrieTheFuture
07-24-2013, 08:06 PM
The Lakers fans who can afford seats are all horrible fans. However, the city itself is quite passionate. CLE fans are the best fans in the world though when it comes to sticking through thick and thin.

DaSeba5
07-24-2013, 08:07 PM
LA is a lousy sports town like Miami is. Both the Lakers and Heat have terrible fans in the expensive seats while the passionate fans are always stuck with the cheaper seats, if they can get that.

oh the horror
07-24-2013, 08:11 PM
LA is a lousy sports town like Miami is. Both the Lakers and Heat have terrible fans in the expensive seats while the passionate fans are always stuck with the cheaper seats, if they can get that.

Bro, even the "cheaper seats" are expensive. It's wild.

DaSeba5
07-24-2013, 08:12 PM
Bro, even the "cheaper seats" are expensive. It's wild.

It's like that in Miami too (especially for big games), but I'm sure LA is more expensive.

SAKOTXA
07-24-2013, 08:15 PM
Bynum questioning fans passion for the game? :roll:

Whether what he said is valid or not you just need to shut thee f*ck up. Or is it me? Because you still have to prove you can stay on the court long enough to help a team. So why run your mouth when you have to prove not only that but if you are a leader, franchise caliber player and most importantly have matured?

Funny coming from me as these were things Lakers fans said when Sixers landed the big Goof. I just think the year he had which was non existent he should keep his opinions to himself. Prove yourself then run your mouth and tell people to kiss your ass. Again, maybe its just me.

Sidenote: Are Cavs fans any more passionate than Lakers fans?
This is how you make a move.

33teeth
07-24-2013, 08:45 PM
I agree that many fans in the LA area are pretty serious about their Lakers, but I also agree that the crowd in Staples center is pretty weak. Way less energy than at a Kings game - the past 3-5 years excepted. Warriors games, Trailblazers games, Jazz games, Celtics games... all way more passion than Lakers games.

Droid101
07-24-2013, 08:49 PM
:oldlol: Ya, uh huh. That' exactly what we say here in Miami/South Florida. But nobody wants to hear it.

Which is why I laugh every time the contingent of Laker fans on discussion forums take pot shots at Miami fans. Pot calling the kettle black.
Sorry, but Laker fans, no matter where the seats, would not leave the game if it was game 6 of the NBA finals and they were within 20 points in the last five minutes.

:roll:

9erempiree
07-24-2013, 09:00 PM
The funny thing about people making fun of Los Angeles is that L.A. made the Lakers who they are right now.

Do you honestly think the Lakers would be this popular if they were still in Minnesota? Heck, they don't even support the Wolves.

It's because of L.A. that Magic's team were coined Showtime. A name and reputation that lived with the organization. With that, it came a winning tradition from Shaq to Kobe and to whomever in the future.

Without L.A. nobody would want to come to the Lakers.

Why do you think most players spend their summers in L.A., train and live here too.

Derrick Rose, KG and Melo have houses here. Lebron was just here. They love L.A.

AndOn3
07-24-2013, 10:11 PM
Read my newest Lakers article! http://hangtimeandhattricks.wordpress.com/2013/07/25/where-to-now-the-future-of-the-los-angeles-lakers/

lakeshow1
07-24-2013, 10:25 PM

Ticks are too damned expensive. I go every year or two and always feel I bled all my money on the floor of Staples.

MichaelCheazley
07-25-2013, 02:09 AM
The Lakers fans who can afford seats are all horrible fans. However, the city itself is quite passionate. CLE fans are the best fans in the world though when it comes to sticking through thick and thin.
Raptor fans>>>

Mr. Jabbar
07-25-2013, 02:11 AM
You can tell he knows how poorly Lakers fan think of that bum and is speaking out of butthurtness, never been so happy for a complete ahole to leave the organization, dwight comes second.

Yoy guys think for a second he would have thrown a line like that if he wasn't butthurt?

andgar923
07-25-2013, 11:46 AM
Laker fans are the most fickle bandwagon fans in the world, wtf are you guys smoking. Not only that but they're one of the dumbest fans there is. A large portion don't know shit about basketball outside their own team.

Wanna know how "loyal" they are?

They jumped on the Clippers' bandwagon as soon as they got big.

What you see displayed on tv is a true reflection of their overall fan base.

Somebody mentioned "cholos" earlier. Those beaners are loyal but also one of the dumbest most ignorant in the NBA. They don't follow basketball nor do they really care. They just watch laker games and that's it.

And then there's the 'Kobe' fans.

Now that's loyalty.

But also incredibly and embarrassingly idiotic.

Even some laker fans are embarrassed of them.

hawke812
07-25-2013, 11:50 AM
We will vandalize our own city for the Lakers. What more do you want?

Legends66NBA7
07-25-2013, 11:51 AM
Raptor fans>>>

Yes, sir.

I actually think there are some good Laker and Heat fans on here, but yeah, definitely not as passionate as an entire city IMO.

qrich
07-25-2013, 11:52 AM
He isn't lying.

I remember being asked to sit down and be quiet sitting in the 200s at a Laker game in the second half.

OhNoTimNoSho
07-25-2013, 02:10 PM
You cant really take Bynum's word at face value, he hasn't played basketball in a really long time.

talkingconch
07-25-2013, 03:43 PM
He also said he was looking to make philly his home.

I would take anything he said with a grain of salt