PDA

View Full Version : Cavs Join Mavs in Bynum Bid

Meticode
07-07-2013, 11:48 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9457877/cleveland-cavaliers-join-dallas-mavericks-race-andrew-bynum-sources-say

D-Rose
07-07-2013, 11:50 PM
Basically if all else is equal, Cavs want to give one year deal while Mavs are considering multi year at lower $ per year.

Meticode
07-07-2013, 11:50 PM
I haven't looked into the details, but I think the Cavs can offer Bynum more money, but if they plan to offer him top dollar I don't like that. I'd rather take a chance on Oden for a lower dollar amount.

I hope they don't offer top dollar to him. He literally has degenerative knees.

RedBlackAttack
07-08-2013, 12:08 AM
I haven't looked into the details, but I think the Cavs can offer Bynum more money, but if they plan to offer him top dollar I don't like that. I'd rather take a chance on Oden for a lower dollar amount.

I hope they don't offer top dollar to him. He literally has degenerative knees.
If it's a one year deal as has been reported, it really doesn't matter all that much. I worry more about his impact on the lockerroom than any potential knee issues with just a one year deal.

Meticode
07-08-2013, 12:11 AM
If it's a one year deal as has been reported, it really doesn't matter all that much. I worry more about his impact on the lockerroom than any potential knee issues with just a one year deal.

Maybe he'll start shooting threes.

KyleKong
07-08-2013, 12:12 AM
Give him a 400k one year contract.

Otherwise waste of cap and roster space for both teams.

Dr. Cheesesteak
07-08-2013, 12:12 AM
Man, I'll feel real bad for Mavs and their fans if they can't even land Bynum...

almost would feel bad for Cuban too. But he'd have to pay me a few mil first.

cavsfanatic
07-08-2013, 12:20 AM
Cavs can offer 1 year for 15 million. It won't hinder them at all for next season in FA. If he's healthy he's best C in league offense wise. He won't be bad in the locker room on a 1 year deal. He'll be on best behavior to earn a long term contract.

Meticode
07-08-2013, 12:22 AM
Cavs can offer 1 year for 15 million. It won't hinder them at all for next season in FA. If he's healthy he's best C in league offense wise. He won't be bad in the locker room on a 1 year deal. He'll be on best behavior to earn a long term contract.
I wouldn't mind it if it's for one year personally. But the chance the Sixers took before last year I don't agree with. They traded major assets of their team banking on it to work out and now because of they're basically totally rebuilding now.

PleezeBelieve
07-08-2013, 12:24 AM
Cavs will off a two year deal with a team option second year.

2 year 20-25 mill sounds about right

KyleKong
07-08-2013, 12:25 AM

Would be a smart move for the Cavs if you cut the salary in half.

daily
07-08-2013, 12:26 AM
If it's a one year deal as has been reported, it really doesn't matter all that much. I worry more about his impact on the lockerroom than any potential knee issues with just a one year deal. You need to worry about both.
A one year deal with a team option on a second is perfect, anything else you hope your GM runs away with his fingers in his ears shouting "I can't hear you"

RedBlackAttack
07-08-2013, 12:30 AM
You need to worry about both.
A one year deal with a team option on a second is perfect, anything else you hope your GM runs away with his fingers in his ears shouting "I can't hear you"
The Cavs have money to spend. They've already filled two major holes with getting a legit combo guard off the bench and a guy who can play either forward position.

They have around $15 million left and a roster that looks set to go. If they can add Bynum, it's gravy. He's not getting a long deal from anyone after what happened last year. If Dallas is dumb enough to offer him multiple years, they can have him.

But, for one year? No, I don't worry about his knees. Even if he doesn't play, he comes off the books next year and we still have the Varejao, Thompson, Bennett, Zeller, Clark frontcourt rotation, which looks pretty solid.

He has all the reason in the world to play and play well, though, if he wants that big payday next year. Even better if there is a team option for a second year.

If he plays and is back to being the good Bynum, this lineup looks pretty damn good to me...

PG - Kyrie Irving / Jarrett Jack
SG - Dion Waiters / CJ Miles
SF - Alonzo Gee / Earl Clark / Sergie Karasev
PF - Tristan Thompson / Anthony Bennett
C - Andrew Bynum / Anderson Varejao / Tyler Zeller

longtime lurker
07-08-2013, 12:33 AM
I know these GM's are gambling with house money but how screwed up is this league when Bynum could make 15 million in one year without potentially even playing.

DMAVS41
07-08-2013, 12:36 AM
The Cavs have money to spend. They've already filled two major holes with getting a legit combo guard off the bench and a guy who can play either forward position.

They have around $15 million left and a roster that looks set to go. If they can add Bynum, it's gravy. He's not getting a long deal from anyone after what happened last year. If Dallas is dumb enough to offer him multiple years, they can have him.

But, for one year? No, I don't worry about his knees. Even if he doesn't play, he comes off the books next year and we still have the Varejao, Thompson, Bennett, Zeller, Clark frontcourt rotation, which looks pretty solid.

He has all the reason in the world to play and play well, though, if he wants that big payday next year. Even better if there is a team option for a second year.

If he plays and is back to being the good Bynum, this lineup looks pretty damn good to me...

PG - Kyrie Irving / Jarrett Jack
SG - Dion Waiters / CJ Miles
SF - Alonzo Gee / Earl Clark / Sergie Karasev
PF - Tristan Thompson / Anthony Bennett
C - Andrew Bynum / Anderson Varejao / Tyler Zeller

The Mavs will definitely offer him more than a one year deal if they are satisfied with the condition of his knees. Not saying it's smart, but they will.

It's a good idea for the Cavs in theory, but the more I think about it...the more I don't like it. It most likely is a 1 year rental and I just don't think he's worth the trouble with a young team that needs gel and develop and identity.

I think they should spend the money on something else.

RedBlackAttack
07-08-2013, 12:41 AM
The Mavs will definitely offer him more than a one year deal if they are satisfied with the condition of his knees. Not saying it's smart, but they will.

It's a good idea for the Cavs in theory, but the more I think about it...the more I don't like it. It most likely is a 1 year rental and I just don't think he's worth the trouble with a young team that needs gel and develop and identity.

I think they should spend the money on something else.

What are you thinking Dallas' offer will be? Not sure how much of that $15 million the Cavs will offer him for one year, but it could be all of it.

When you say a multi-year offer from Dallas, are you thinking 4 years? If so, no way the Cavs would (or should) compete with that. If it's 2-3 years, Bynum has a tough decision on his hands. Take the big money for one year or less money for an addition year or two.

daily
07-08-2013, 12:41 AM

As a long time Laker fan I told myself that on many a night. :lol

Being completely serious here, the thing is I don't think he likes playing basketball, I have felt for a long time he'd be just as happy being a computer geek or something, if you told him he'd never play again he'd shrug his shoulders and never look back. He didn't start playing until High School and he didn't search it out, the coach found him and had to convince him to give it a try. I feel for Drew he's always viewed basketball as something he was just passing through.

RedBlackAttack
07-08-2013, 12:43 AM
As a long time Laker fan I told myself that on many a night. :lol

Being completely serious here, the thing is I don't think he likes playing basketball, I have felt for a long time he'd be just as happy being a computer geek or something, if you told him he'd never play again he'd shrug his shoulders and never look back. He didn't start playing until High School and he didn't search it out, the coach found him and had to convince him to give it a try. I feel for Drew he's always viewed basketball as something he was just passing through.
I would probably agree with that assessment... which is why I would never offer him multiple years at this point. Cavs have nothing to lose for one year. Anything beyond that and I'm out if I'm Chris Grant.

A multi-year deal from Cuban would reek of desperation.

CavaliersFTW
07-08-2013, 12:45 AM
For the simple sake of work ethic and lockerroom chemistry I wish the Cavs would attempt to chase Oden rather than Bynum. At this point I honestly think both have equally questionable knees yet Oden's mental upside and determination seems so much greater. According to Kareem Bynum's focus was on and off - and unpredictably so. Oden on the other hand seems both humble and hopeful/determined by comparison.

DMAVS41
07-08-2013, 12:46 AM
What are you thinking Dallas' offer will be? Not sure how much of that $15 million the Cavs will offer him for one year, but it could be all of it.

When you say a multi-year offer from Dallas, are you thinking 4 years? If so, no way the Cavs would (or should) compete with that. If it's 2-3 years, Bynum has a tough decision on his hands. Take the big money for one year or less money for an addition year or two.

I could see 4 years with a team option for the 4th...

At this point, the Mavs really have no choice but to swing for the fences with Bynum. From what I'm hearing in Dallas...if they are remotely satisfied with his health...they are going hard for him.

From Bynum's standpoint I totally agree that it still might be a tough decision, but I really think the Cavs should avoid this circus and spend the money on something else and really work on team chemistry and identity.

I don't really like Bynum much so I'm not excited about potentially getting him, but him returning to form in a Mavs uniform is the only chance we have at contending in 2015.

D-Rose
07-08-2013, 12:47 AM

I could see Cuban doing something like 3 years 24 million...

but I'm hoping they can put a provision in his contract like the Wolves did with Brandon Roy to get out of it if need be...

hawkfan
07-08-2013, 12:49 AM
No point in him signing a longer term deal.
If he is healthy, he'll get a max level contract.

He ought to just wait until the end of the summer when he is healthy and in shape again, even if he takes a smaller one year contract.

LBJMVP
07-08-2013, 12:52 AM
2 year deal with team option on the second year somewhere in the 20 million dollar range would be fine with me.

DMAVS41
07-08-2013, 12:57 AM
Are there any talks about the Cavs trying to get Asik? That seems to me like the best option for them with the assets and space they have. And he's a perfect player for Mike Brown and he'd fit much better with that team on and off the court in my opinion.

daily
07-08-2013, 01:15 AM
:lol Oh man I completely forgot Brown was back in Cleveland, Yeah you want a one year contract, with option. Drew and Brown never seemed to be on the same page. That's where all his 3 point chucking and generally acting up started. It's when the LA fans and media finally saw Drew for what he really was

RedBlackAttack
07-08-2013, 01:25 AM
Are there any talks about the Cavs trying to get Asik? That seems to me like the best option for them with the assets and space they have. And he's a perfect player for Mike Brown and he'd fit much better with that team on and off the court in my opinion.
There have been talks, yes. Asik is set to earn something like $14+ million next year, though. If they're looking to preserve some cap space for that better FA class, it will be interesting to see how they handle a pursuit of Asik.

I'd be perfectly content to just go after Asik and forget about next year, personally. I'm not so sure Grant shares that same sentiment.

At this stage, I'd be fine with taking a shot at Oden, too. I have no questions about whether or not he'll complicate the lockerroom and he'll come much cheaper than Bynum.

As for the whole Bynum/Brown issue, I doubt Grant would get involved if there were lingering problems, there. Despite his antics, Bynum did have the best season of his career by far in the one year with Brown. Maybe he realizes that now.

D-Rose
07-08-2013, 01:30 AM
Asik's making $8 mill every year including final year..the $15 mill in last year was only if Chicago matched it.

RedBlackAttack
07-08-2013, 01:31 AM
Asik's making $8 mill every year including final year..the $15 mill in last year was only if Chicago matched it.
Got ya. At $8 million a year, he's a steal.

DMAVS41
07-08-2013, 01:32 AM
There have been talks, yes. Asik is set to earn something like $14+ million next year, though. If they're looking to preserve some cap space for that better FA class, it will be interesting to see how they handle a pursuit of Asik.

I'd be perfectly content to just go after Asik and forget about next year, personally. I'm not so sure Grant shares that same sentiment.

At this stage, I'd be fine with taking a shot at Oden, too. I have no questions about whether or not he'll complicate the lockerroom and he'll come much cheaper than Bynum.

As for the whole Bynum/Brown issue, I doubt Grant would get involved if there were lingering problems, there. Despite his antics, Bynum did have the best season of his career by far in the one year with Brown. Maybe he realizes that now.

Are you sure about the Asik contract? I thought it only counted for like 8.4 million on the cap...

If it's that number...I think you just do anything to get him now and if you need to sign a free agent next summer...literally every team would line up to take Asik at that number.

longtime lurker
07-08-2013, 01:32 AM

Yes but he's getting paid 15 a year if I'm not mistaken. Only 8 million counts against the cap. It's like a pseudo luxury tax.

OJ SIMPSON 2.0
07-08-2013, 01:34 AM
LOL, the entire NBA better hope the Mavs sign him in a multi year deal because if they don't and cavs sign him for 1 year, Bynum will be wearing a Lakers jersey come 2014.

D-Rose
07-08-2013, 01:36 AM
Yes but he's getting paid 15 a year if I'm not mistaken. Only 8 million counts against the cap. It's like a pseudo luxury tax.
Ah okay. Damn Morey's tricks confusing everyone.

daily
07-08-2013, 01:37 AM
LOL, the entire NBA better hope the Mavs sign him in a multi year deal because if they don't and cavs sign him for 1 year, Bynum will be wearing a Lakers jersey come 2014.Lakers will never bring him back.

mentallooser
07-08-2013, 01:38 AM
LOL, the entire NBA better hope the Mavs sign him in a multi year deal because if they don't and cavs sign him for 1 year, Bynum will be wearing a Lakers jersey come 2014.

Why would that matter to the entire NBA? The guy's knees are degenerating before our eyes.

OJ SIMPSON 2.0
07-08-2013, 01:40 AM
Why would that matter to the entire NBA? The guy's knees are degenerating before our eyes.
2014 Lineup

PG- Eric Bledsoe
SG- Kobe Bryant
SF- Paul George
PF- Pau Gasol
C- Andrew Bynum

That's why it matters to the entire NBA lol.

daily
07-08-2013, 01:46 AM
2014 Lineup

PG- Eric Bledsoe
SG- Kobe Bryant
SF- Paul George
PF- Pau Gasol
C- Andrew Bynum

Ok this guy is living in fantasy land. NVM

Ballin095
07-08-2013, 01:54 AM
Ok this guy is living in fantasy land. NVM

lol

PleezeBelieve
07-08-2013, 01:55 AM
Why would Bynum take a 3 year 24 mill deal when he can take a one year 10-13 mill deal and cash in on a bigger deal 12 months from now?

Makes no sense. Bynum has no reason to accept a deal 40% of his value worth when healthy no matter how many years are attached to the contract.

Cavs in the driver seat here as long as a team who has room doesn't throw max cash his way for more than one year guaranteed.

hawkfan
07-08-2013, 01:58 AM
Lakers will never bring him back.

Yes they would.
He knows how to deal with Kobe.

Maniak
07-08-2013, 02:10 AM
2014 Lineup

PG- Eric Bledsoe
SG- Kobe Bryant
SF- Paul George
PF- Pau Gasol
C- Andrew Bynum

:roll:

ihatetimthomas
07-08-2013, 02:19 AM
I haven't looked into the details, but I think the Cavs can offer Bynum more money, but if they plan to offer him top dollar I don't like that. I'd rather take a chance on Oden for a lower dollar amount. I hope they don't offer top dollar to him. He literally has degenerative knees.

I dont know about Oden. He hasnt played in over 3 years. Thats a very long time. Bynum missed last season, but he is only a year out of playing and he has proven himself much more than Oden. I think you are really gambling more if you go with Oden, even at a lower cost.

I wouldn't mind it if it's for one year personally. But the chance the Sixers took before last year I don't agree with. They traded major assets of their team banking on it to work out and now because of they're basically totally rebuilding now.

They took a risk. But it was worth the risk imo. They were going no where with Iggy leading them. Also, Bynum just came of a great year, and played the entire year. With the lineup they had prior to the Bynum deal, they were stuck in mediocrity, which is the worst place to be in the NBA.

In reality they were never contenders and gambling on Bynum was a must.

DukeDelonte13
07-08-2013, 07:29 AM
For the simple sake of work ethic and lockerroom chemistry I wish the Cavs would attempt to chase Oden rather than Bynum. At this point I honestly think both have equally questionable knees yet Oden's mental upside and determination seems so much greater. According to Kareem Bynum's focus was on and off - and unpredictably so. Oden on the other hand seems both humble and hopeful/determined by comparison.

mental upside? Oden is an alcoholic. Oden is just as non dedicated as Bynum. I don't want either broken piece of garbage on the cavs roster.

SpurrDurr
07-08-2013, 07:38 AM
2014 Lineup

PG- Eric Bledsoe
SG- Kobe Bryant
SF- Paul George
PF- Pau Gasol
C- Andrew Bynum

So delusional and detached from reality.

SpurrDurr
07-08-2013, 07:40 AM
mental upside? Oden is an alcoholic. Oden is just as non dedicated as Bynum. I don't want either broken piece of garbage on the cavs roster.

Oden comes way cheaper, might even sign for veteran minimum or close for 1 year.

Bynum refues to work out and he's gonna ask for a multi-year contract.

I'd take the risk of signing Oden any day over Bynum.

DukeDelonte13
07-08-2013, 08:04 AM
Oden comes way cheaper, might even sign for veteran minimum or close for 1 year.

Bynum refues to work out and he's gonna ask for a multi-year contract.

I'd take the risk of signing Oden any day over Bynum.

sure the risk with oden is lower but i don't see either as a long term solution. I see them both as rentals.

Walker
07-08-2013, 09:29 AM
lol what?

How exactly do you think that works? If that was possible don't you think everyone would be offering every player in the league deals that don't count towards the cap?

Think about sh1t before posting cause that's plan retarded.

Duderonomy
07-08-2013, 09:41 AM
You can flip a coin on which team will sign him. http://25.media.tumblr.com/088b9250da48a9e1849b02078b184642/tumblr_mihchwLZ0h1rl88sqo1_1280.jpg

IGOTGAME
07-08-2013, 10:29 AM

If its a team option it should be two years 30 million.

longtime lurker
07-08-2013, 10:41 AM
lol what?

How exactly do you think that works? If that was possible don't you think everyone would be offering every player in the league deals that don't count towards the cap?

Think about sh1t before posting cause that's plan retarded.

Educate yourself homie.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/houston-rockets/omer-asik/

Carbine
07-08-2013, 11:10 AM
If Bynum returns to his pre-injury form, the Cavs + Bynum would be a contender for years to come.

The core of Irving, Waiters, Bennett, Thompson & Bynum would be unreal.

1~Gibson~1
07-08-2013, 11:13 AM
Ok this guy is living in fantasy land. NVM:oldlol: :applause:

As is 99% of Laker land.

spacebump
07-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Why would Bynum take a 3 year 24 mill deal when he can take a one year 10-13 mill deal and cash in on a bigger deal 12 months from now?

Makes no sense. Bynum has no reason to accept a deal 40% of his value worth when healthy no matter how many years are attached to the contract.

Cavs in the driver seat here as long as a team who has room doesn't throw max cash his way for more than one year guaranteed.

He might not be confident that he can last through a full season and wants more guaranteed money.

D-Rose
07-08-2013, 12:40 PM
@ESPNSteinLine 11m

Update on Cavs' pursuit on Andrew Bynum: ESPN sources say Bynum scheduled to be in Cleveland today for face-to-face recruiting sitdown

He added that Cavs are only interested in a one year deal.

PleezeBelieve
07-08-2013, 01:28 PM
He added that Cavs are only interested in a one year deal.
Cavs are in the driver's seat here. You can't see that?

DMAVS41
07-08-2013, 01:36 PM
This is a really interesting story. I still don't quite see the benefit for the Cavs the way people seem to. But I definitely see it for Bynum. If he gets a one year 15 million dollar deal and is back to 18/12/2 or something...he's going to get a max the following year. And even if he has 1 good year...are the Cavs comfortable maxing out Bynum to keep him? That would be a huge risk for a team that looks to have about as bright a future as you can have on paper.

My worry for the Cavs would be that Bynum leaves after 1 year regardless of what happens. And then is it worth it? Other players get less time on the court and the chemistry of the team is altered. This year seems like it would be really important for developing the mindset and chemistry of this team going forward.

DuMa
07-08-2013, 01:46 PM
its a lot of risk for one year. its also potentially a lot of reward as well. i still believe he is more trouble than what he is worth. he just doesnt exclaim professionalism in any SENSE of the word. he will kill your locker room

GOBB
07-08-2013, 01:47 PM

He didnt do anything with the Sixers to earn himself a long term contract. Why do you put faith in this guy he will do that this time around? :confusedshrug:

KyrieTheFuture
07-08-2013, 02:30 PM
This is a really interesting story. I still don't quite see the benefit for the Cavs the way people seem to. But I definitely see it for Bynum. If he gets a one year 15 million dollar deal and is back to 18/12/2 or something...he's going to get a max the following year. And even if he has 1 good year...are the Cavs comfortable maxing out Bynum to keep him? That would be a huge risk for a team that looks to have about as bright a future as you can have on paper.

My worry for the Cavs would be that Bynum leaves after 1 year regardless of what happens. And then is it worth it? Other players get less time on the court and the chemistry of the team is altered. This year seems like it would be really important for developing the mindset and chemistry of this team going forward.

I see your point, but the only person who's time he'll cut into is Andy who doesn't need time to develop, he has developed already. Tristan won't play at center, Bennett won't play at center certainly, I'd rather do this one year deal (and then either resign or get a FA next year) than sign a decent FA to a multi year deal

Kobe681
07-08-2013, 02:46 PM

Because what if his health doesnt hold up past those 12 months?

pegasus
07-08-2013, 03:02 PM
Isn't this the year the Cavs should tank one last time? Why are they getting all this help for Kyrie? He is a superstar in the making but still too young and has many years left on his contract (you know he's getting an extension or matched if he becomes an RFA) to throw a hissy fit.

Bynum on the Mavs would be interesting. It's a medium risk (it'd be high risk but they've got nothing to lose) - high reward situation.

GOBB
07-08-2013, 03:03 PM
Because what if his health doesnt hold up past those 12 months?

Cant think that way. Stupid to lock yourself into a deal like that. Play one year then see what team gambles on you next offseason. If his health is still an issue during season he can take the 3yr $24mil next offseason. Yes some team will be dumb to give him that much regardless of this upcoming season if he battles injury again.

Kobe681
07-08-2013, 03:32 PM
Cant think that way. Stupid to lock yourself into a deal like that. Play one year then see what team gambles on you next offseason. If his health is still an issue during season he can take the 3yr $24mil next offseason. Yes some team will be dumb to give him that much regardless of this upcoming season if he battles injury again.

IDK. Some teams (Cavs) are already hesitant to give him anything more than a 1 year contract.

Its even less likely to be offered to him if he injured next season. I know some teams are dumb but they would have to be REALLY dumb. Yes, I know some teams are REALLY dumb but from Bynums POV its better to not put himself in that position.

If he is still healthy then he's still pretty young and can get a long term contract.

DirkNowitzki41
07-08-2013, 03:33 PM
**** off cavs

D-Rose
07-08-2013, 04:29 PM
Steiny reports Bynum is meeting with Mavs and Hawks later this week...Cavs today.