PDA

View Full Version : So rather than improving... the Spurs stay the same?

ConanRulesNBC
07-03-2013, 12:01 PM
Makes no sense. Re-sign Ginobili, re-sign Splitter. They were literally seconds away from winning a championship last season. Ginobili cost them HUGE. Instead of staying the same, shouldn't the plan be to add 1 or 2 missing pieces to make themselves better? :confusedshrug:

TheReturn
07-03-2013, 12:06 PM
Like you said, they were seconds away from winning it all, why take risks by going in a different direction?

Wonder Bread Kid
07-03-2013, 12:07 PM
Resigning those two means staying the same? They still have cap room and can make moves with Bonner. The spurs got these two signings out of he way quickly so try can now begin to make moves.

Haymaker
07-03-2013, 12:07 PM
If it ain't broken...

Let's see how the rookies turn out.

Droid101
07-03-2013, 12:08 PM
Uh... it was probably the closest loss of a championship in NBA history. They literally lost it on a couple of unlucky bounces in game 6. I think standing pat is just fine.

Wonder Bread Kid
07-03-2013, 12:12 PM
People understand the Spurs aren't standing pat. Right?

They're keeping the core together. But they're going to add pieces,

DMV2
07-03-2013, 12:14 PM
Their guard rotation is fine with or without Manu. It's their frontcourt that's thin.

They need another big to help out Duncan, especially in the playoffs. Splitter can contribute in the reg. season but he can't be that extra help for Duncan in the playoff.

Haymaker
07-03-2013, 12:15 PM
People understand the Spurs aren't standing pat. Right?

They're keeping the core together. But they're going to add pieces,

They don't have much money to offer. The significant FA will sign elsewhere. I'm ok with the same team. They all have finals experience now.

nathanjizzle
07-03-2013, 12:18 PM
they should have won the series so why change? making a roster change could put them back instead of forward.

D-Rose
07-03-2013, 12:20 PM
They're probably going to bring in AK47...will be huge for them IMO.

SilkkTheShocker
07-03-2013, 12:21 PM
They re-signed my two favorite Spurs. Great moves :applause:

SCdac
07-03-2013, 12:21 PM
Spurs are one of the best managed teams in the league, they're constantly looking at today and the future (Duncan will retire soon and Splitters contract will look cheap), I'm surprised at the lack of faith and premature reactions during this young offseason :facepalm

Carbine
07-03-2013, 12:22 PM
An OLD team standing pat is not the right thing to do.

Manu looked like he was done, hurting his team more than helping it.....and now he's a gonna be a year older.

Timmy, can't expect him to be as good as he was last year. When the drop happens for him, it's going to be a huge one. It's not gradual for big men in their late 30's.

It would have been much better to drop Splitter and go after a better player like Al Jefferson.

The Spurs can still redeem themselves if they resign Manu to a very cheap contract, amnesty Bonner and leave themselves with around 7 million left.

bagelred
07-03-2013, 12:22 PM
One missed Ray Allen shot from a title.

iamgine
07-03-2013, 12:24 PM
Kawhi Leonard, Tiago Splitter, Danny Green and Gary Neal could get better.

Also we know Manu is a much better player than he showed last season. He could get there again. Or at least halfway.

guy
07-03-2013, 12:24 PM
Uh... it was probably the closest loss of a championship in NBA history. They literally lost it on a couple of unlucky bounces in game 6. I think standing pat is just fine.

If they had a better team, which they were in the position to this offseason with all that capspace, maybe it would've never been that close in this first place and they wouldn't have lost.

There was no reason to pay Splitter that much money, and I'm assuming they are paying a clearly declining Ginobili enough that they barely have any more capspace left, if any at all. They were in a position to pay someone like Al Jefferson, Andre Iguodala, and/or Josh Smith, and let Splitter walk and force Ginobili to come back for the minimum if he wanted to come back. I would say this is a very disappointing offseason for them.

ConanRulesNBC
07-03-2013, 12:28 PM
Their biggest missing piece last season was another big who can score. They have no one besides Duncan. Splitter is terrible. They need another big that can put up 15+ PPG.

They also need to sign another guard. Ginobili was f*cking AWFUL. He can't be counted on to do so much anymore.

Some of you Spurs fans that are giving them credit for staying as is are probably the same ones that were complaining about Ginobili being so terrible in the finals. He had one good game. Other than that he hurt the Spurs more than he helped them.

And let's be real... the only reason the Spurs got to the finals this time is because Westbrook was injured and they were able to avoid the Thunder.

Unless Leonard improves that much during the offseason and turns into a Carmelo Anthony/LeBron James type leader I don't see the Spurs going back to the finals next season unless they make some improvements.

It's already been suggested on here but what about Jarrett Jack? If they can sign Jarrett Jack to come off the bench and get one more decent big (even Oden, if he stays healthy). That will be a good offseason for them. AK47, Jarrett Jack, Oden. Or rather than Oden if they can make a trade for Gortat... that would be huge.

C: Gortat/Splitter
PF: Duncan/Diaw
SF: Leonard/AK47
SG: Green/Ginobili
PG: Parker/Jack

3peated
07-03-2013, 12:33 PM
i can't see ginobli having that poor of performance again, he must've been playing through a lot of pain.

ConanRulesNBC
07-03-2013, 12:36 PM
i can't see ginobli having that poor of performance again, he must've been playing through a lot of pain.

Even so he cost the team possibly their last best shot at winning a championship. So let's bring him back? And Ginobili has been hurt on and off since 2007. It's why they haven't made it back to the finals since (before this season). They made it back this season with little help from him. It was more due to Parker playing like an MVP, Duncan losing weight and playing great, Green stepping up huge and Leonard developing into a potential All-Star.

SCdac
07-03-2013, 12:41 PM
Some of you guys aren't operating in reality.

You think Josh Smith is jumping for joy to play in San Antonio for the next 4 years while he sees much younger Big 3's forming? Big Iguodala fan here, but anybody really think he can't get better deals elsewhere? Gortat/AK47/Jack without trading anybody from SA?... If Spurs want Gortat, it'll be a sign-and-trade using Splitter, and that could still happen. The fact that any FA move can still conceivably happen makes this thread retarded.

Carbine
07-03-2013, 12:52 PM
Money talks. If they had a max contract to offer (4 years 60 million for them I believe) why wouldn't Jefferson or Josh Smith be highly intrigued to sign there?

Wonder Bread Kid
07-03-2013, 12:53 PM

You think Josh Smith is jumping for joy to play in San Antonio for the next 4 years while he sees much younger Big 3's forming? Big Iguodala fan here, but anybody really think he can't get better deals elsewhere? Gortat/AK47/Jack without trading anybody from SA?... If Spurs want Gortat, it'll be a sign-and-trade using Splitter, and that could still happen. The fact that any FA move can still conceivably happen makes this thread retarded.

They can land AK or JJack without trading anyone.

Though JJack is not needed.

OldSkoolball#52
07-03-2013, 12:57 PM
A few thoughts:

I dont understand the Splitter decision AT ALL. This guy did not impress me in the playoffs whatsoever. In fact he never has. This dude is a glorified Fabricio Oberto, in fact I would rather have a "prime oberto" because at least he was really active and scrappy and in that way actually pretty effective next to Duncan. Splitter frequently just looks lost. He is a MLE guy at best, Im stunned at the dough they gifted him.

Ginobili Im afraid is toast. Sad to say, hes been a joy to watch for years but his game just isnt there anymore and it doesnt appear to be comin back. It might make sense to use him for 15 mins per game as a playmaker while Parker is resting, but when Parker and Ducan are on the floor theyre just better off having a pure shooter out there. Even down the stretch of a close game.

Matt Bonner had a really nice playoff until the Finals, where he unfortunately just wasnt a good matchup with the Heat and didnt get any minutes. If theyd have played anyone else hed probably have got some minutes and been helped them get a chip. So hes obviously still gonna be there and will be a weapon that helps in the playoffs.

I have a feeling these playoffs also did wonders for Leonards confidence and Danny Green (notwithstanding games 6 and 7) and theyll both prob come back more confident and more assertive which will make the Spurs better as well.

Theres no reason this team cant get back to the finals, but I agree with OP that bringin back Splitter and Ginobili is questionable, prob could use those mjnutes and money better elsewhere.

step_back
07-03-2013, 12:58 PM
The Spurs have the best FO in Basketball. Not to mention the best coach in the league. They will be fine.

SCdac
07-03-2013, 01:03 PM
Money talks. If they had a max contract to offer (4 years 60 million for them I believe) why wouldn't Jefferson or Josh Smith be highly intrigued to sign there?

Yeah money talks, but when was the last time a All-Star free agent in his prime signed with SA? Alot of these FA's are probably waiting to see where Dwight signs and then get signed by teams striking out. Spurs can only sit on their hands so long before securing their own assets.

Wonder bread kid, Jarret Jack would be great. Big fan. But no doubt he capitalizes off his recent playoff performance, perhaps more than was SA is willing to offer. Warriors have his bird rights and he'll probably get 7-8 mil per. AK47 would also be great too, although he's 32 and always misses a bunch of games. Mixed feelings on him, though he'd bolster our D for sure.

guy
07-03-2013, 01:10 PM

You're probably right about Josh Smith, but they could've at least went after him. As far as Iggy goes, he's about to turn 30 and hasn't played on a contender in his career yet, and the Spurs could've still offered him a 8 figure per year contract. He's someone that they could've at least went after who would've helped them and would've probably seriously considered joining them.

OldSkoolball#52
07-03-2013, 01:13 PM
The Spurs have the best FO in Basketball.

Top 3 probably, but if I own a team and I can put one exec in charge of it, its gonna be Riles and its not even close.

longtime lurker
07-03-2013, 01:13 PM
Their biggest missing piece last season was another big who can score. They have no one besides Duncan. Splitter is terrible. They need another big that can put up 15+ PPG.

They also need to sign another guard. Ginobili was f*cking AWFUL. He can't be counted on to do so much anymore.

Some of you Spurs fans that are giving them credit for staying as is are probably the same ones that were complaining about Ginobili being so terrible in the finals. He had one good game. Other than that he hurt the Spurs more than he helped them.

And let's be real... the only reason the Spurs got to the finals this time is because Westbrook was injured and they were able to avoid the Thunder.

Unless Leonard improves that much during the offseason and turns into a Carmelo Anthony/LeBron James type leader I don't see the Spurs going back to the finals next season unless they make some improvements.

It's already been suggested on here but what about Jarrett Jack? If they can sign Jarrett Jack to come off the bench and get one more decent big (even Oden, if he stays healthy). That will be a good offseason for them. AK47, Jarrett Jack, Oden. Or rather than Oden if they can make a trade for Gortat... that would be huge.

C: Gortat/Splitter
PF: Duncan/Diaw
SF: Leonard/AK47
SG: Green/Ginobili
PG: Parker/Jack

This should have traded for Gortat. Gortat is exactly what the team needs on the inside plus he's cheaper than Splitter.

Kiddlovesnets
07-03-2013, 03:20 PM
They are getting better lol, young players will improve at a faster rate than old players decline. Tiago Splitter is easily a 15/7 player if Duncan gets enough rest next season, Leonard will be close to all-star.

Greg Oden 50
07-03-2013, 03:21 PM
can we gamble Oden now ????

Greg Oden 50
07-03-2013, 03:22 PM
They are getting better lol, young players will improve at a faster rate than old players decline. Tiago Splitter is easily a 15/7 player if Duncan gets enough rest next season, Leonard will be close to all-star.

JOKE ???????????

SCdac
07-03-2013, 03:26 PM
JOKE ???????????

He averaged 10.3 ppg / 6.4 rpg last season and 15.1 ppg / 9.3 rpg Per-36 minutes... Doubt the Spurs are throwing millions at him to play less minutes, less of a role, etc... His numbers will only improve as Duncan ages.

Greg Oden 50
07-03-2013, 04:02 PM
He averaged 10.3 ppg / 6.4 rpg last season and 15.1 ppg / 9.3 rpg Per-36 minutes... Doubt the Spurs are throwing millions at him to play less minutes, less of a role, etc... His numbers will only improve as Duncan ages.

he is at his top now,won't get any better :no:
Spurs Fans has been overrated his scrub so badly

Funnyfuka
07-03-2013, 04:04 PM
They're probably going to bring in AK47...will be huge for them IMO.
He s slow old lanky nowadays....wouldnt provide much. The problem is that tiago isnt up par with the challenge, they expected too much of him.

ConanRulesNBC
07-03-2013, 11:33 PM
To me they're just counting too much now on two guys (Splitter and Ginobili) who were absolutely awful in the playoffs and Leonard who will improve but not THAT much by next season. I'm sorry, but bringing back the same exact team that just lost is only going to result in more failure next season. Unless Ginobili starts playing like it's 2007 again and Leonard reaches his prime and plays his absolute best basketball of his career in his 3rd season in the league. They barely got by the Warriors, they lucked out by avoiding the Thunder, I think Memphis will be even better, if Doc Rivers can get the Clippers to play to their full potential they a great chance at winning the West next season.

The thing is the Spurs needed to make a couple of moves and bring in some different players. Not bring back the same exact team.

DaSeba5
07-03-2013, 11:40 PM
Are you really questioning a team that was just a couple of FTs and rebounds from winning a title?

daily
07-03-2013, 11:40 PM
Just like to point out the offseason is exactly 3 days old. Might be a bit premature to be making judgments about anything at this time

ConanRulesNBC
07-04-2013, 12:12 AM
Are you really questioning a team that was just a couple of FTs and rebounds from winning a title?

I'm questioning the team that lost in the finals that may have only been in the finals due to Westbrook's injury and a team that if they stay exactly as is might not make it back to the finals next season. That's the team I'm questioning. They lost, that was their last best chance with this same exact team. Splitter was horrible, Manu was horrible... so what do they do? Re-sign both.

HarryCallahan
07-04-2013, 06:46 AM
I'm questioning the team that lost in the finals that may have only been in the finals due to Westbrook's injury and a team that if they stay exactly as is might not make it back to the finals next season. That's the team I'm questioning. They lost, that was their last best chance with this same exact team. Splitter was horrible, Manu was horrible... so what do they do? Re-sign both.

This, just like everything you've said in this thread is nonsense. Did you see the Thunder last year? They were horrible even with Westbrook, nothing short of Westbrook + playmaker + Perk dying would have gotten them past the Grizz.

As for the rest of your "Splitter and Manu suck" stuff; Manu had about 6 bad games all p/o's, Thiago only 4-5. Splitter was awesome against the Grizz, and Manu won the Spurs a game in GS series. But I guess you only remember what you want.

By the way, the bulls suck you fat fcuk.

SacJB Shady
07-04-2013, 08:05 AM
Spurs? do they have....

deron williams, joe johnson, paul pierce, brooke lopez, jason terry, and kevin garnett? and jason kidd?

Frozen1
07-04-2013, 09:30 AM
Spurs swept two teams in the playoffs and took the younger and more athletic king jame's Miami Heat to a 7 game series.

They were 5 seconds from a championship in game 6, and a missed layup by TD from tying the game in the last minute of game 7.

So i can

Charlie Sheen
07-04-2013, 09:53 AM

I wonder why Parker and Splitter struggled more against the Heat than any series in the West?

A: Miami is an elite defensive team, their personnel is suited to defend the PnR.

let's be real...the only reason the Suprs got to the finals this time is because they earned the #1 seed, so they would only have to play ONE of LAC OKC MEM. Splitter was huge to their regular season success.

rmt
07-04-2013, 11:04 AM
Being 1 free-throw from the title is not an excuse not to try to improve. They did the same thing after the 07 title - stood pat and it was a mistake as the other teams improved. I don't have a problem with the Splitter contract as I do with Manu. He's old and 14/2 is too much - should have been 10/2.

As far as being so close, it was the perfect storm for the Spurs. Kobe/Lakers injured, Westbrooke out, DWade banged up. It's not fair to expect that Duncan will play as well as he did this year. Where's the help? They desperately need a backup PG because the ball-handling was atrocious when TP sat. And Neal is probably gone too - that'll affect their depth.

poido123
07-04-2013, 11:26 AM
JOKE ???????????

He actually is.

Reg season he would do that with Duncan not playing and seeing consistent 25-30 minutes.

On another note, Spurs really fcked up on contracts this offseason. If you are gonna keep those players, pay them alot less than that. What did they do in the playoffs that made them want to pay them this much?

I dont know, maybe Splitter was gonna walk if he didnt get a good contract.

I dont normally knock Spurs decisions, but the signings this offseason have been amateur hour

Nastradamus
07-04-2013, 11:29 AM
Yah, keeping their core together has proven to be a pretty successful plan. Make one more run and hope guys like Green,Leonard,Splitter and maybe Joseph. PLus they added Jean - Charles and Thomas in the draft.

HarryCallahan
07-04-2013, 11:49 AM
He actually is.

Reg season he would do that with Duncan not playing and seeing consistent 25-30 minutes.

On another note, Spurs really fcked up on contracts this offseason. If you are gonna keep those players, pay them alot less than that. What did they do in the playoffs that made them want to pay them this much?

I dont know, maybe Splitter was gonna walk if he didnt get a good contract.

I dont normally knock Spurs decisions, but the signings this offseason have been amateur hour

The Spurs didn't "fcuk up," they had to pay both guys. Manu has given the Spurs a lot over the years and you don't low-ball a guy who has taken the amount of physical punishment for the team that he has. 14/2 is fair- he could have gotten that elsewhere. As for Thiago; he took a pay-cut to come to the NBA (he was Spanish league MVP) on the promise that if he proved himself he would get paid, he held up his end of the bargain and now the Spurs are holding up theirs.

Splitter could have gotten 9mil anywhere (DJ, JaVale etc.), so what were the Spurs gonna do let him walk? Big men don't exactly grow on trees and **** wasting the last years of Timmy's career trying to find one (like the Spurs were doing before they got the Spanish league MVP to come over).

LAZERUSS
07-04-2013, 11:51 AM
Makes no sense. Re-sign Ginobili, re-sign Splitter. They were literally seconds away from winning a championship last season. Ginobili cost them HUGE. Instead of staying the same, shouldn't the plan be to add 1 or 2 missing pieces to make themselves better? :confusedshrug:

I didn't take the time to read thru the subsequent posts, so this was probably already mentioned...

Yep, they should have blown up the roster, and started over.

ConanRulesNBC
07-04-2013, 01:41 PM
Clippers, Warriors, Thunder and maybe even Dallas or Houston (if one of them signs Dwight Howard) will all be better next season. Maybe even Memphis improves too. It's going to be a lot harder for the Spurs to even make it back to the finals.

Not once did I say they should blow up the team. But bringing back the same exact team is not a good idea. They need to make some improvements. Ginobili can't be counted on as a ball handler. He turned the ball over a million times in the finals. They need a better back up point guard. Also, when Duncan is out of the game the Spurs have pretty much no one that can score inside. They need another big who can put up at least 10-15 PPG. Someone like Gortat would be perfect.

daily
07-04-2013, 01:44 PM
Spurs? do they have....

deron williams, joe johnson, paul pierce, brooke lopez, jason terry, and kevin garnett? and jason kidd?

Half that squad is ordering off the senior menu at Dennys

ConanRulesNBC
07-04-2013, 01:45 PM
This, just like everything you've said in this thread is nonsense. Did you see the Thunder last year? They were horrible even with Westbrook, nothing short of Westbrook + playmaker + Perk dying would have gotten them past the Grizz.

As for the rest of your "Splitter and Manu suck" stuff; Manu had about 6 bad games all p/o's, Thiago only 4-5. Splitter was awesome against the Grizz, and Manu won the Spurs a game in GS series. But I guess you only remember what you want.

By the way, the bulls suck you fat fcuk.

Butthurt much? It's my fault your team blew it in 27 seconds. :roll:

sc19
07-04-2013, 01:47 PM
Spurs doesn't even belong in the finals if OKC had Westbrook.

ConanRulesNBC
07-04-2013, 01:49 PM
Half that squad is ordering off the senior menu at Dennys

Aren't Pierce and KG the same ages as Ginobili and Duncan? Joe Johnson, Deron Williams are both in their primes, Lopez hasn't even reached his yet.

ConanRulesNBC
07-04-2013, 01:53 PM
I love how Spurs fans are trying to justify these stupid signings by saying that it was the "closest" a team has ever come to winning a championship. Guess what? It doesn't matter. They DIDN'T win. They blew it. And they blew it because players on the team sucked in the finals. Especially the two players they just re-signed.

LAZERUSS
07-04-2013, 01:59 PM
Clippers, Warriors, Thunder and maybe even Dallas or Houston (if one of them signs Dwight Howard) will all be better next season. Maybe even Memphis improves too. It's going to be a lot harder for the Spurs to even make it back to the finals.

Not once did I say they should blow up the team. But bringing back the same exact team is not a good idea. They need to make some improvements. Ginobili can't be counted on as a ball handler. He turned the ball over a million times in the finals. They need a better back up point guard. Also, when Duncan is out of the game the Spurs have pretty much no one that can score inside. They need another big who can put up at least 10-15 PPG. Someone like Gortat would be perfect.

The Spurs have continually added role players to their rosters throughout the Duncan era, but they have basically kept the core players, Duncan, Ginobili, and Parker for the past decade. There were those that were claiming that they should have broken up the team a couple of years ago. But, as we just witnessed this past season...that would have probaby been a huge mistake.

SoCalLakersFan1
07-04-2013, 02:22 PM
I'm not going to doubt the Spurs until Duncan retires. I'm sure a lot of their "genius" moves will start looking average after that.

HarryCallahan
07-05-2013, 12:52 AM

This proves exactly why you should shut up- you have NO idea what you're talking about. Splitter and Diaw are effective scorers in the paint. They don't need to get a new back-up pg, his name is Corey Joeseph- you should know that.

Just stop running your ignorant mouth on a team who you only saw play 7 games all year you obese, diabeetus ridden sack-o-cr@p

Straight_Ballin
07-05-2013, 12:56 AM
Timmy will be one if the greatest, oldest players ever. Not really concerned.

ConanRulesNBC
07-05-2013, 01:32 AM
This proves exactly why you should shut up- you have NO idea what you're talking about. Splitter and Diaw are effective scorers in the paint. They don't need to get a new back-up pg, his name is Corey Joeseph- you should know that.

Just stop running your ignorant mouth on a team who you only saw play 7 games all year you obese, diabeetus ridden sack-o-cr@p

Butthurt. :roll:

HarryCallahan
07-05-2013, 01:58 AM
Butthurt. :roll:

About what? About re-signing two of my favourite players?

You can't just say the "butt-hurt" and magically all of your retarded posts make sense. Saying "butt-hurt" doesn't change the fact that there is a salary cap and therefore no way the Spurs could sign Jefferson and Jack.

...fat fcuk...

WayOfWade
07-05-2013, 03:46 AM
I am prepared for yet another season of people saying the Spurs are too old and are going to fall flat, only to have them have a spectacular regular season, only to choke in the playoffs. It's happened the past 3 seasons yes?

HarryCallahan
07-05-2013, 05:55 AM
I am prepared for yet another season of people saying the Spurs are too old and are going to fall flat, only to have them have a spectacular regular season, only to choke in the playoffs. It's happened the past 3 seasons yes?

You're a Heat fan right? Then you should understand hat Ray Allen sinking a miracle 3 is hardly the definition of choking.

Haymaker
07-05-2013, 05:59 AM

Taking your all time stacked team to 7 games is choking? Go and sit on a prick.

ConanRulesNBC
07-05-2013, 07:00 AM
About what? About re-signing two of my favourite players?

You can't just say the "butt-hurt" and magically all of your retarded posts make sense. Saying "butt-hurt" doesn't change the fact that there is a salary cap and therefore no way the Spurs could sign Jefferson and Jack.

...fat fcuk...

And you're whole argument is calling me childish names. The Spurs would have had the money to sign Jefferson and Jack if they didn't waste it by re-signing Splitter and Ginobili. You can't possibly defend this awful Ginobili signing. He had ONE good game the entire NBA finals. He was turning the ball over like a rookie most of the time and hurt the Spurs way more than he helped them. The dude is pretty much done. He rarely plays anymore, he's constantly injured. A 1 season deal for a really cheap price might have been worth it. But 2 seasons? Awful signing. And Splitter is just garbage. Signing Al Jefferson or trading for Gortat or signing Bynum would have been a much better choice.

So in your words: "fcuk off you fat fcuk"

HarryCallahan
07-05-2013, 09:02 AM
And you're whole argument is calling me childish names. The Spurs would have had the money to sign Jefferson and Jack if they didn't waste it by re-signing Splitter and Ginobili. You can't possibly defend this awful Ginobili signing. He had ONE good game the entire NBA finals. He was turning the ball over like a rookie most of the time and hurt the Spurs way more than he helped them. The dude is pretty much done. He rarely plays anymore, he's constantly injured. A 1 season deal for a really cheap price might have been worth it. But 2 seasons? Awful signing. And Splitter is just garbage. Signing Al Jefferson or trading for Gortat or signing Bynum would have been a much better choice.

So in your words: "fcuk off you fat fcuk"

I only call you fat because you constantly whine in OTC about it.

Now, the Spurs had 14mil cap-space. Al got $11+mil, Jack would need more than 3mil or the mle. What is it your diabeetis ridden, cottage-cheese lookin ass doesn't get about that?

Why would a rebuilding Suns (who just drafted a C a #5) want Thiago for for Gortat? He makes $2mil more and has 3 more years. They wouldn't, that rumour was bs.

Al would kill the Spurs, he doesn't play D and can't pass, so you'd have to fundamentally change the way the Spurs play ball. Having a good team isn't about having good players, it's about having good players who compliment one-another (see 12/13 Lakers).

As for your opinion that Splitter is "garbage," you only saw them play in the finals, so you wouldn't understand the difference when Splitter is on/off the court. Parker/Green/Leonard/Duncan/Splitter was the best 5 man defensive unit in the NBA.

So one more shut your obese mouth fatty.

Carbine
07-07-2013, 10:02 PM
Now seeing what other free agents have got, it only makes these deals the Spurs have made that more tough to stomach.

With roughly 21 mil in cap space they got:

Splitter
Manu
Belinelli

They COULD have spent that money this way:

Paul Milsap
Jarrett Jack
Belineli

I feel like Option 2 would have upgraded their team in a noticeable way. Now they have Manu playing backup PG again which is terrible news.

Greg Oden 50
07-07-2013, 10:23 PM
SPURS IS DONE:facepalm

Dizzle-2k7
07-07-2013, 10:28 PM
Now seeing what other free agents have got, it only makes these deals the Spurs have made that more tough to stomach.

Splitter
Manu
Belinelli

Paul Milsap
Jarrett Jack
Belineli

I feel like Option 2 would have upgraded their team in a noticeable way. Now they have Manu playing backup PG again which is terrible news.

to be fair, and i love milsap, but splitter is about even or better than milsap.. not as a basketball player overall, but as a big body, rebounding defender who can finish well (except against the heat where he choked bad)

however if we were talking about al jeff , itd be a diff story

deja vu
07-08-2013, 12:28 AM
If the Spurs stay the same they will make it to the Finals next year and possibly win the title. :D

rmt
07-08-2013, 12:36 AM

Splitter
Manu
Belinelli

Paul Milsap
Jarrett Jack
Belineli

Overpaying for Manu was a business decision. He is the most popular Spur and the season ticket holders would have a revolt if he wasn't re-signed. I am unhappy that he didn't give them a discount especially after his POOR post-season but they really didn't have any choice. His will be the only bad contract the Spurs have.

IMO, Splitter was the right choice. In the Southwest division alone, there's HOU with DH/Asik, Randolph/Gasol and possibly Bynum/Dirk. Splitter size is needed to get out of the West.

DMAVS41
07-08-2013, 12:43 AM

Splitter
Manu
Belinelli

Paul Milsap
Jarrett Jack
Belineli

they needed a big body...milsap does nothing for the Spurs in my opinion.

you are right about Jack though...looking back, he upgrades that team hugely and is exactly what they need. but they didn't know he would be available.

really like the belineli signing

ThaRegul8r
07-08-2013, 01:18 AM
Taking your all time stacked team to 7 games is choking? Go and sit on a prick.

This viewpoint is interesting, considering that the Spurs were supposedly supposed to be demolished by the Heat in the first place. If I were one of those people, I could go back and bump threads that were made before the Finals.