PDA

View Full Version : Jason Kidd is the new coach of the Brooklyn Nets

niko
06-12-2013, 07:39 PM
The Brooklyn Nets have named former Net Jason Kidd as the team’s new head coach, General Manager Billy King announced tonight. Kidd becomes the 18th head coach in the franchise’s NBA history.

Read more: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=13477

Project018
06-12-2013, 07:40 PM
oh sh*t

PleezeBelieve
06-12-2013, 07:40 PM
40-42

niko
06-12-2013, 07:41 PM
Yup, time to celebrate. Someone grab Jason's keys. :D Too soon?

bluechox2
slap in the face to all coaches, nets dont know how to handle a coach

Heavincent
Has any other player ever retired and then become a head coach just a few weeks later?

bluechox2
06-12-2013, 07:42 PM
in b4 being named player-coach, replace deron and ship him off

get these NETS
06-12-2013, 07:44 PM
As Larry Brown once said (incidentally about a NETS coaching hire)....."I guess they let anybody be a coach"

LB SHITTED on LAWRENCE FRANKS when he said that...

3 coaches in less than one calendar year?

GET THESE NYETS!!!!

veilside23
06-12-2013, 07:45 PM
i hope this will do wonders for mr kidd and the nets... always be a fan of him.. great player... hopefully a good coach

niko
06-12-2013, 07:48 PM
Has any other player ever retired and then become a head coach just a few weeks later?
There have been player coaches so even sooner than that but the situation in modern times is rare.

Ballin095
06-12-2013, 07:49 PM
Niko is this some kind of joke? Because it really isn'tfunny .

niko
06-12-2013, 07:50 PM
Nets are really star struck. Their MO has been get the biggest name available at all times.

niko
06-12-2013, 07:50 PM
Niko is this some kind of joke? Because it really isn'tfunny .
The fact i wasn't hired? No, it's not funny.

TheReal Kendall
06-12-2013, 07:53 PM
Kidd has no experience at coaching. This has to be a joke

Zodiac
06-12-2013, 07:53 PM
Hey the Hawks might get Andrew Wiggins next year!

tpols
06-12-2013, 07:54 PM
As Larry Brown once said (incidentally about a NETS coaching hire)....."I guess they let anybody be a coach"

LB SHITTED on LAWRENCE FRANKS when he said that...

3 coaches in less than one calendar year?

GET THESE NYETS!!!!
And Lawrence came in and set the nets franchise record for most consecutive wins starting with his first game.:oldlol:

Hopefully lb is around somewhere ready to comment

Draz
06-12-2013, 07:54 PM
That's ridiculous.. no way.

Ballin095
06-12-2013, 07:56 PM
This right here is truly hilarious though. The nets are the official joke of the nba haha.

get these NETS
06-12-2013, 07:57 PM
And Lawrence came in and set the nets franchise record for most consecutive wins starting with his first game.:oldlol:

Hopefully lb is around somewhere ready to comment
post frank's career coaching record

ISH Gambler
06-12-2013, 07:58 PM
One minute DWill is playing against this guy...next minute he's essentially your boss.

It's A VC3!!!
06-12-2013, 07:59 PM
I would have preferred Shaw but i'm not mad at this. what i am mad about is that kidd wants to hire lawrence frank as an assistant. we need an assistant from the bulls or spurs, not a coach that has under-performed his entire career. i wonder what kidd will do with the lineup and what type of players he will request .

tpols
06-12-2013, 07:59 PM
post frank's career coaching record
When Vince and Kidd declined the team was done..they ended up with the worst collection of players in the entire league after that.. so I don't see your point.He was a fine coach when there was talent on the team and I think kidd will be even better.

Rubio2Gasol
06-12-2013, 08:02 PM
You aren't going to find a more intelligent player or coach than Jason Kidd. I'd say he's prepared, but there will be a learning curve. Brian Shaw would be a nice addition to this team though - I can't say for sure it's due to him but both with the Lakers and the Pacers his teams seem to have a very tangible rebounding edge and really find a way to encorporate people into an offense.

It's A VC3!!!
06-12-2013, 08:06 PM
When Vince and Kidd declined the team was done..they ended up with the worst collection of players in the entire league after that.. so I don't see your point.He was a fine coach when there was talent on the team and I think kidd will be even better.
yeah but i'd still rather have assistant coaches from the bulls or spurs. maybe take the third assistant from the bulls and spurs and promote them to lead assistant so that we can adapt a better defense philosophy. i wouldn't applaud the frank signing. also, i want assistant coaches that will actually tell kidd when hes doing something wrong. i don't want the "mj problem" where people just agree with kidd and are afraid to disagree with him. i fear that may happen with kidd and frank if hes signed.

MeLO MvP 15
06-12-2013, 08:07 PM
He could be one hell of a coach, better than Mark Jackson.

However, I feel like the Nets made this choice for wrong reason. A reporter tweeted something that I really think is true, the Nets make too many big decisions based on "how it'll look".

DCL
06-12-2013, 08:22 PM
if vinny del negro can coach, why can't kidd?

what coaching experience did del negro have before becoming head coach of the nba??

as for basketball IQ, who has it better than Jkidd?

niko
06-12-2013, 08:24 PM
Frank's not signing on to do all the actual coaching while Kidd absorbs knowledge and gets credit. He's mentor'd Kidd, he's not going to do the heavy lifting for him. That's an assumption people have made that's just patently wrong.

tmacman
06-12-2013, 08:24 PM
What a ****ing joke. :roll:

La Frescobaldi
06-12-2013, 08:25 PM
wow!!

It's bold, it's brash, it's dangerous........ it definitely makes a statement from the Nets organization.

This is terrific I hope it goes through!!

coin24
06-12-2013, 08:31 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Nets will be an even bigger joke next season:lol
All that money they spent to lose to the bulls bench/dleague squad, now they hire Kidd as a coach:roll: :roll:

Lakers please hire Shaw. How this guy has not gotten a HC gig yet is beyond me...

chazzy
06-12-2013, 08:36 PM
He has a good relationship with Deron at least

wang4three
06-12-2013, 08:40 PM
I hope this means we start running now.

SCdac
06-12-2013, 08:42 PM
Good luck to him.

That team has no identity and there season was a bit of a disappointment.

Will D-Will ever return to top form? ... That's the biggest question I think

JimmyMcAdocious
06-12-2013, 08:48 PM
Kidd can't win in this situation.

Second round roster (in the East), little developing talent, no roster flexibility, and championship starving fan base. It's like taking over the Hawks with higher expectations earlier in the century. They are what they are.

I don't mind Kidd getting a job right out of the gate. I do think he should have gone to a borderline playoff/late lottery type of team. Gives him room to grow as a coach with his roster.

PickernRoller
06-12-2013, 08:50 PM
Seeing him drunk on the court will be a normal occurrence now.

Jokes aside good luck to the guy. And most of all, good luck to Brooklyn and their fans....a new city needs success.

The JKidd Kid
06-12-2013, 08:55 PM
I personally think that this is going to be a success. If anyone is going to successfully make the jump from coach to player, it's going to be Kidd. He already has the qualities of a great coach, good communicator, demands respect, incredible basketball mind now we have to see if he can live up to his potential. The Nets got the 4th seed by relying on talent alone, with a decent coach, who knows what they can do. I just don't see any possible way that Kidd could be worse than Carlesimo, I'm pretty sure my sister could've coached the Nets better than he did.

veilside23
06-12-2013, 08:59 PM
kidd should just amnesty wallace the guy is shot...

i hope kidd makes that move... then play brooks..

get these NETS
06-12-2013, 09:11 PM

dodging question

and what was post Nets coaching record and what excuse do you have for that?

tpols
06-12-2013, 09:14 PM
dodging question

and what was post Nets coaching record and what excuse do you have for that?
With the Fvcking pistons? LOL

Find a better point.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
06-12-2013, 09:19 PM
Deron williams..... The most overrated mutha fcuka....

2 me he is on level with jennings but wants usto treat him like westbrook/parker

The JKidd Kid
06-12-2013, 09:22 PM

2 me he is on level with jennings but wants usto treat him like westbrook/parker

You my friend, don't know what you're talking about.

get these NETS
06-12-2013, 09:25 PM
With the Fvcking pistons? LOL

Find a better point.

since you won't answer the question here is Frank's coaching record

http://www.basketball-reference.com/coaches/frankla99c.html

and yes..there's a O-fer on that record

0-16 before the axe came down in 2009-10

iDunk
06-12-2013, 09:28 PM
Its gonna be so weird seeing Kidd on the bench in a suit directing his team & all that.

I feel like we've fast forwarded like 5 years into the future.

tpols
since you won't answer the question here is Frank's coaching record

http://www.basketball-reference.com/coaches/frankla99c.html

and yes..there's a O-fer on that record

0-16 before the axe came down in 2009-10
With a team that finished the season what? 11-55? That's the team you're talking about? The worst collection of players I have ever witnessed along with injury problems.. A team led by Devin Harris, who has been a nobody since Dallas and who had josh Boone starting at center for a long stretch.. Haha what a bunch of bullshit.. Phil Jackson himself couldn't of gotten that team to 20 wins.

coin24

I used to disagree, but after years of shitty performances how can you argue it?:lol :facepalm

niko
06-12-2013, 09:34 PM
Lawrence Frank has a good reputation as an assistant but he wasn't a good head coach, his teams didn't respond to him and he put too much on certain guys. He was just alright.

bmulls
06-12-2013, 09:34 PM
I love J. Kidd and I think he could be a great head coach ONE DAY, but this move has train wreck written all over it.

tpols
06-12-2013, 09:44 PM
Lawrence Frank has a good reputation as an assistant but he wasn't a good head coach, his teams didn't respond to him and he put too much on certain guys. He was just alright.
Yea I agree with this.. He was an average coach. Not nearly as terrible as his record but not extraordinary either. You have to remember who he was going up against in the playoffs.

Larry Brown and the pistons first year
Miami with shaq(nets never had any big men to stop him)
Miami again with Riley coaching
Cleveland and Lebron as their stars were exiting their primes

What did you expect? The team was never good enough to get any farther than it did.

daily
06-12-2013, 09:49 PM
Mike Dunleavy

It's A VC3!!!
06-12-2013, 09:51 PM
"Wow. Jason kids going to finals next year. He is going to be a complete coach.
He should coach in a nets uniform. So he can sub in"

Metta world peace.:lol

niko
06-12-2013, 09:51 PM
Yea I agree with this.. He was an average coach. Not nearly as terrible as his record but not extraordinary either. You have to remember who he was going up against in the playoffs.

Larry Brown and the pistons first year
Miami with shaq(nets never had any big men to stop him)
Miami again with Riley coaching
Cleveland and Lebron as their stars were exiting their primes

What did you expect? The team was never good enough to get any farther than it did.
He was overmatched though. In the Pistons series, i remember him calling timeouts his team didn't have, things like that. (My wife loves that team, we've seen those games literally dozens of times.) I also recall the utterly ridiculous Devin Harris time when he ran the team's offense through him every play and they were sucking but Devin was scoring 35 a game. Remember that?

He's a good defensive assistant, and i doubt he takes this job because he wants a job he can move into the #1 slot if things go right.

poido123
06-12-2013, 09:53 PM
What a bold move by the Nets.

I fully support bold moves by organisations, I'm sick of watching struggling franchises make safe moves only to protect their reputation. I wholeheartedly wish Kidd the best of luck, hopefully not too well since he will likely be coaching against my team next year in the finals :lol:

This can't be the only move, I predict Nets to make some big trades this year with the new coach in and the disappointing exit in the playoffs.

It's A VC3!!!
06-12-2013, 09:58 PM
What a bold move by the Nets.

I fully support bold moves by organisations, I'm sick of watching struggling franchises make safe moves only to protect their reputation. I wholeheartedly wish Kidd the best of luck, hopefully not too well since he will likely be coaching against my team next year in the finals :lol:

This can't be the only move, I predict Nets to make some big trades this year with the new coach in and the disappointing exit in the playoffs.
the nets cant really make a big trade. they can and probably want to trade gerald but no team is going to take him. i think we should get antawn jamison as our starting four and vc as our backup 3 but that's about it. nets are locked with this core for 3 more years.

gilalizard
06-12-2013, 09:59 PM
Why not hire Kidd? Who should they hire? Del Negro? Some other washout retread with "more experience"?

The Lakers should fire D'Antoni and hire Shaw. Then D'Antoni's available. Should the Nets hire D'Antoni over Kidd, because D'Antoni has vastly more HCing experience?

It's A VC3!!!
06-12-2013, 10:03 PM
Why not hire Kidd? Who should they hire? Del Negro? Some other washout retread with "more experience"?

The Lakers should fire D'Antoni and hire Shaw. Then D'Antoni's available. Should the Nets hire D'Antoni over Kidd, because D'Antoni has vastly more HCing experience?
exactly. shaq said it best. " the league needs to stop hiring recycled coaches. there is a reason mike brown is coaching his third team in 6 years. same thing with mike. give assistant coaches a chance and stop reusing the same old coaches that got fired. there's a reason that they got fired.

poido123
06-12-2013, 10:06 PM
the nets cant really make a big trade. they can and probably want to trade gerald but no team is going to take him. i think we should get antawn jamison as our starting four and vc as our backup 3 but that's about it. nets are locked with this core for 3 more years.

I disagree. Wallace still has value and other teams will likely see that he can play better in a better situation for him. You will have a harder time trying to trade Joe though :lol:

If I were the Nets owner, Id look to trade off Williams for young prospects and picks, perhaps package him with Joe(probably not possible with the high salary the other team would have to make up), and just start over. I'm not sold on Lopez, Ive never like a big man who is soft and doesn't rebound, doesnt bode well for winning championships IMO.

A wholesale cleanout. I see no other way. This Nets team has too many mentally fragile players to go far in the playoffs.

The JKidd Kid
06-12-2013, 10:19 PM
I disagree. Wallace still has value and other teams will likely see that he can play better in a better situation for him. You will have a harder time trying to trade Joe though :lol:

If I were the Nets owner, Id look to trade off Williams for young prospects and picks, perhaps package him with Joe(probably not possible with the high salary the other team would have to make up), and just start over. I'm not sold on Lopez, Ive never like a big man who is soft and doesn't rebound, doesnt bode well for winning championships IMO.

A wholesale cleanout. I see no other way. This Nets team has too many mentally fragile players to go far in the playoffs.

I have to disagree, I think the only player on this that is mentally weak is Lopez. He never demands the ball and disappears in the 4th. However, Johnson Williams and Wallace arent mentally weak, none of them are just true leaders. Also, after a certain point, salary really doesn't mean anything. The bulls, Nets, heat, lakers, Knicks and celtics are all over the luxury tax and can offer the same mini mle and vet min contracts that the Nets can. Personally, I think they should keep the core together for a while and see what happens. They already got the 4th seed this year with an injured D Will and no head coach and Reggie Evans starting, let's see what they can do after they fix these problems. Sure they might not contend for a chip, but you can say the same about 26 other teams in this league, and if they all decided to just give up and rebuild, the league would be a terribly boring place.

The JKidd Kid
06-12-2013, 10:24 PM
exactly. shaq said it best. " the league needs to stop hiring recycled coaches. there is a reason mike brown is coaching his third team in 6 years. same thing with mike. give assistant coaches a chance and stop reusing the same old coaches that got fired. there's a reason that they got fired.

Sometimes I forget that Shaq went to college and is actually a smart guy. There are realistically only 3-5 truly great coaches in this league and they're all locked up for a long time, so why not take a risk and look for the next great coach instead of just hiring the same average coaches over and over.

bagelred
06-12-2013, 10:37 PM
Let's recap:

- Takes Knicks valuable Mimi-MLE last summer.
- Immediately crashes car into tree with a DUI.
- Plays well in regular season.
- Completely folds in playoffs, literally not scoring in last 200 minutes of play.
- Decides to retire even with 2 years left on contract.
- Thus, Knicks lose out on last years Mid-Level Exception, which can't get back. Kidd's retirement creates no cap room or additional exceptions.
- Immediately pushes for and gets Head Coaching job with crosstown rival Nets.

Has Kidd been working for Nets this whole time? :coleman:

Sucks for you Knicks fans. :oldlol:

longtime lurker
06-12-2013, 10:39 PM
No offense to Nets fans but this organization is a joke. Having Jason Kidd take the head coaching job with 0 years of experience is a slap in the face to all the coaches that have put in work and learned the right way. I think Jason Kidd will make a great coach someday but he's in a situation where he's setup to fail.

SpecialQue
06-12-2013, 10:45 PM
inb4 Kidd wins COTY and gets fired.

tpols
06-12-2013, 10:51 PM
Let's recap:

- Completely folds in playoffs, literally not scoring in last 200 minutes of play.
- Thus, Knicks lose out on last years Mid-Level Exception, which can't get back. Kidd's retirement creates no cap room or additional exceptions.

:roll:

Proky had him on a lucrative special agent contract all along

The_Yearning
06-12-2013, 11:02 PM
I'm more impressed by how he landed the job and how bad Brian Shaw must be during interviews.

The JKidd Kid
06-12-2013, 11:05 PM
No offense to Nets fans but this organization is a joke. Having Jason Kidd take the head coaching job with 0 years of experience is a slap in the face to all the coaches that have put in work and learned the right way. I think Jason Kidd will make a great coach someday but he's in a situation where he's setup to fail.

I disagree, I think that this was a great decision, and I think that it will start a new movement, where teams take risks in order to find the perfect coach, instead of just using the so called "proven" coaches that have only proven that they are average coaches that will not lead a team anywhere. Other teams should take notes and grow a pair and take a chance by hiring a guy that's unknown.

Draz
06-12-2013, 11:37 PM
Let's recap:

:coleman:

asd
06-12-2013, 11:47 PM
he was a coach on the floor

and took the nets to the finals

their center was jason collins

he knows the game

boozehound
06-13-2013, 12:45 AM
its a little crazy, but who doesnt think he will do a good job?!?

hawkfan
06-13-2013, 12:47 AM
He could be one of the few superstars to be a good coach as well.
Usually role players and scrubs become good head coaches.

bluechox2
06-13-2013, 01:16 AM
kidd said he will wear a jersey instead of a suit

bdreason
06-13-2013, 03:27 AM
I love J. Kidd and I think he could be a great head coach ONE DAY, but this move has train wreck written all over it.

Pretty much this. Wrong hire for the Nets. Wrong first job for Kidd.

insidehoops
06-13-2013, 03:55 AM
Already old news, but:

Official announcement: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=13477

ZHAKIDD532
06-13-2013, 07:29 AM
This is either going to be unbelievable, or a train wreck.

Jason Kidd's BBIQ is the highest I've ever seen. That's not the problem at all. The problem is does he know how to manage time and resources and does he know how to teach his players.

We're gonna find out.

niko
06-13-2013, 07:52 AM
This is either going to be unbelievable, or a train wreck.

Jason Kidd's BBIQ is the highest I've ever seen. That's not the problem at all. The problem is does he know how to manage time and resources and does he know how to teach his players.

We're gonna find out.
I don't think that's the problem. I think maturity is the issue. He has issues with his (pyschotic) ex wife. Remarries to another hothead young women. Halfway through the Knick seasons he doesn't like his role. Pretty much stops playing. How many times has he done that in his career? DUI the day after the Knick's sign him. I've never seen a player on the court with his vision and feel. But when he's not happy his reaction historically hasn't been mature or helpful.

I won't even say i think, i KNOW he has the ability to do everything the head coach job warrants. Does he have the maturity to do it day in and day out for the long term even when it sucks and it's not fun and the papers are saying the Nets made a terrible mistake after a loss?

Foster5k
06-13-2013, 07:57 AM
One of the dumbest things done, in the NBA, in a long time.

The Nets are now the official laughing stock of the NBA.

Extremely over-paid players with an extremely over-hyped unexperienced coach in Jason Kidd, who has zero coaching experience.

This ship is headed nowhere fast! Nets are toast, which they already were to begin with. Now, it's just even worse.

It's A VC3!!!
06-13-2013, 09:12 AM
I'm more impressed by how he landed the job and how bad Brian Shaw must be during interviews.
deron also pitched in his approval to hire kidd. that was the determining factor" if our franchise players approves, let's do it". i would have preferred shaw but as i said before, kidd is a great basketball mind and he really needs to hire the right defensive staff.

It's A VC3!!!
06-13-2013, 09:15 AM
One of the dumbest things done, in the NBA, in a long time.

The Nets are now the official laughing stock of the NBA.

Extremely over-paid players with an extremely over-hyped unexperienced coach in Jason Kidd, who has zero coaching experience.

This ship is headed nowhere fast! Nets are toast, which they already were to begin with. Now, it's just even worse.
the nets were a 49 win team last year with deron being injured the entire first half of the season, gerald missing like 6 games, and brook missing half of a brutal december month. its safe to say that this team is a mid 50s win team. that doesn't constitute as a laughing stock. there are much, much worse teams than the nets.

bagelred
06-13-2013, 11:02 AM
He can now FINALLY change his name to Jason Addult or Jason Adultt. Depending on where he prefers his double letter misspelling.

La Frescobaldi
06-13-2013, 11:35 AM
the nets were a 49 win team last year with deron being injured the entire first half of the season, gerald missing like 6 games, and brook missing half of a brutal december month. its safe to say that this team is a mid 50s win team. that doesn't constitute as a laughing stock. there are much, much worse teams than the nets.
I was thinking the same thing. Now if the Nets can reel in a great jump shooter that will put opposing teams on the horns of a terrible dilemma; guard the paint against Lopez and get shelled by long range artillery.... spread the defense and die on the rapier of Deron's STILL incredible drives and Lopez power post devastation.
I will be watching Nets with great interest

niko
06-13-2013, 11:38 AM
deron also pitched in his approval to hire kidd. that was the determining factor" if our franchise players approves, let's do it". i would have preferred shaw but as i said before, kidd is a great basketball mind and he really needs to hire the right defensive staff.
Think of the things Deron has pushed for and then tell me that Deron pitching in being a determining factor is a good thing or not. The two moves that Deron pushed for are JJ and Gerald.

ReturnofJPR
06-13-2013, 11:38 AM
I think I just turned into a Nets fan. Of course, when they're not playing the Bulls that is. They already have University of Illinois alum Deron Williams Top 5 PG in the game but now Kidd as coach?! How can you root against Jason Kidd? Class act all the way.

Kidd will be an excellent manager of Brooklyn's egos but it remains to be seen if he is an X's and O's specialist fit to go against the greatest coaches in the NBA. He better have some great assistants to lean on.

niko
06-13-2013, 11:41 AM
I think I just turned into a Nets fan. Of course, when they're not playing the Bulls that is. They already have University of Illinois alum Deron Williams Top 5 PG in the game but now Kidd as coach?! How can you root against Jason Kidd? Class act all the way.

Kidd will be an excellent manager of Brooklyn's egos but it remains to be seen if he is an X's and O's specialist fit to go against the greatest coaches in the NBA. He better have some great assistants to lean on.
He needs to pick well. He can't pick a super assistant who wants to also be the coach. He needs to pick someone who has his best interest in heart, wants to be an assistant at this point, wants to help him. Stranger things have happened than a more experienced assistant sabatoging a job to become coach.

ReturnofJPR
06-13-2013, 11:44 AM
He needs to pick well. He can't pick a super assistant who wants to also be the coach. He needs to pick someone who has his best interest in heart, wants to be an assistant at this point, wants to help him. Stranger things have happened than a more experienced assistant sabatoging a job to become coach.

He's a very likeable guy, but it could be a disaster...

La Frescobaldi
06-13-2013, 12:36 PM
He's a very likeable guy, but it could be a disaster...
Always with the negative waves, Moriarty..... always with the negative waves

ReturnofJPR
06-13-2013, 12:54 PM
Always with the negative waves, Moriarty..... always with the negative waves

This is the NBA. This is a business. 30 teams play the game, 29 fail. Coaches come and go like nobodies business. This isn't some mountain top in Arizona or California somewhere with 10 people sitting in a circle, holding hands, and singing chants...this is a very competitive business. If Kidd fails, there will be endless amounts of suitors to take his position (even his own assistant coaches as pointed out before).

niko
06-13-2013, 12:55 PM
KIdd's DUI Court Date is next week. Any coach ever get probation prior to his first game coached?

tpols
06-13-2013, 12:59 PM
KIdd's DUI Court Date is next week. Any coach ever get probation prior to his first game coached?
You are such a hater lol

But I like this move.. big risk big failure or big reward and since Nets have already proven underwhelming it really is their only shot. I dont care about kidd's long term prospects if he fails so thats pretty much a non issue to me.

StocktonFan
06-13-2013, 01:09 PM

salty much? let it go dude.... it's just a game

La Frescobaldi
06-13-2013, 01:14 PM
This is the NBA. This is a business. 30 teams play the game, 29 fail. Coaches come and go like nobodies business. This isn't some mountain top in Arizona or California somewhere with 10 people sitting in a circle, holding hands, and singing chants...this is a very competitive business. If Kidd fails, there will be endless amounts of suitors to take his position (even his own assistant coaches as pointed out before).
gee!! All this time I've been watching hoops and NEVER KNEW

thanks for the doctoral thesis on the micro-economics of the L!!

ZHAKIDD532
06-13-2013, 01:18 PM
Just so we're clear, Kidd has huge potential as a head coach. If he gets his off court issues in order, he'll do well. No one understands the game better than he does.

1~Gibson~1
06-13-2013, 01:27 PM
This should be interesting. Ive always felt that guys like JKidd and Derek Fisher could potentially be good NBA coaches one day.

Dizzle-2k7
06-13-2013, 01:27 PM
. They already have University of Illinois alum Deron Williams Top 5 PG in the game

:wtf:

rondo
rose
paul
parker
curry
lillard
nate robinson (yes, nate destroyed d-will)
rubio

im probably missing a few others. d-will aint shit anymore.

ZHAKIDD532
06-13-2013, 01:37 PM

rondo
rose
paul
parker
curry
lillard
rubio

im probably missing a few others. d-will aint shit anymore.
You're telling me Ricky Rubio is better than Deron Williams?

Really?

...Really?

tpols
06-13-2013, 01:38 PM
You're telling me Ricky Rubio is better than Deron Williams?

Really?

...Really?
I found Nate Robinson more surprising:oldlol:

niko
06-13-2013, 01:38 PM
You are such a hater lol

But I like this move.. big risk big failure or big reward and since Nets have already proven underwhelming it really is their only shot. I dont care about kidd's long term prospects if he fails so thats pretty much a non issue to me.
I'm sorry, EVERY single thing the knicks ever do is made fun of. Apparently that's allowed. I like Kidd as coach (you actually convinced me) but I'm going to make fun of what needs to be made fun of. Coach going to court less than a week after being hired qualifies.

niko
06-13-2013, 01:39 PM
A motivated Deron is easily a top 5 PG. Unmotivated Deron is not. Deron 2nd half of year, who can argue he was not top 5?

ZHAKIDD532
06-13-2013, 01:43 PM
I found Nate Robinson more surprising:oldlol:
I took one glance at it and didn't notice Nate. Yes. That's pretty idiotic. He was put in a great situation this year in Chicago where he was asked to do the one thing he was good at. He was a ghost before that.

ZHAKIDD532
06-13-2013, 01:44 PM
A motivated Deron is easily a top 5 PG. Unmotivated Deron is not. Deron 2nd half of year, who can argue he was not top 5?
To me, Deron was 4th this year. Behind CP3, Parker, and Steph Curry.

niko
06-13-2013, 01:48 PM
I took one glance at it and didn't notice Nate. Yes. That's pretty idiotic. He was put in a great situation this year in Chicago where he was asked to do the one thing he was good at. He was a ghost before that.
If you took only the games Nate played great he still had Nate moments in most of them. He still was a liability on defense at times. People always like to compare the role player doing his role well vs. the star being asked to do ten times more. It's not comparable.

1~Gibson~1
06-13-2013, 01:49 PM

rondo
rose
paul
parker
curry
lillard
rubio

im probably missing a few others. d-will aint shit anymore.Really? Nate Robinson? Rubio?? :biggums:

Idk and idc if he's top 5 or not but he's a championship caliber PG and the Nets should be in the playoff hunt as long as they keep their core including him.

Uncle Drew
06-13-2013, 01:50 PM
http://www.nba.com/nets/live-stream

bagelred
06-13-2013, 02:28 PM
Thanks for taking Knicks MLE last season and leaving immediately. Appreciate it.

That's what I would say if I were a Knicks fan....

niko
06-13-2013, 02:30 PM
Thanks for taking Knicks MLE last season and leaving immediately. Appreciate it.

That's what I would say if I were a Knicks fan....

His body was breaking down. Also, he did his usual "i'm not being used the way i want to so i am losing interest". He's done it like four times before, sometimes multiple times on the same team. This was a given sooner or later. You don't blame a leopard for acting like a leopard.

When he retired i wasn't angry, the only thing that would have made me angry was if he tried an end around to play for another team. Coaching is a different thing.

Kujo
06-13-2013, 02:52 PM
I don't see this working at all. Bad move.

This will be interesting to watch. I wish Kidd all the best. Prove us doubters wrong.

Levity
06-13-2013, 02:53 PM
Tim Bontemps ‏@TimBontemps

Kidd mentions Gerald Wallace as being a point-forward. Continues to emphasize fast-break and pushing the pace. The one specific he's given.

Interesting.... I wonder what Dwill thinks about that.

niko
06-13-2013, 02:56 PM

Kidd mentions Gerald Wallace as being a point-forward. Continues to emphasize fast-break and pushing the pace. The one specific he's given.

Gerald Wallace is a slug, we all know that but Kidd in his initial press conference isn't going to be negative. There's plenty of time to take care of roles during camps and such.

niko
06-13-2013, 03:14 PM
For anyone going OMG HE'S GOING TO FOCUS ON GERALD WALLACE? he also said that JJ is as good a player as their is in the league and that one of his best traits is "he makes his teammates better".

He's just stroking ego's and working the room, he knows the truth.

The JKidd Kid
06-13-2013, 04:06 PM
If this team can get an athletic forward/ wing in the draft, they could be really good in transition with Wallace's athleticism and jjs ability to hit the 3 from anywhere. People always forget that Deron was arguably the best transition PG back in Utah. Also, Wallace can handle the ball on the break and so can joe. Even Blatche and Lopez run the floor well for big guys. So much potential as a transition team, I don't know why PJ was so stupid to play them at the slowest pace in the league.

veilside23
06-13-2013, 04:16 PM
Dwill on a right system is the best PG in the L ... CP3 can only hang on him a few times... Deron williams played bad for half a year but a motivated d will will do this to your mvp

http://www.droppindimes.com/media/2011/07/Deron-Williams-Dunks-On-Derrick-Rose-2.jpg

please comback :D

wang4three
06-13-2013, 04:30 PM
As long as our defense improves, offense becomes more pretty..I can live with this. We need a big man coach too. Is Bill Cartwright available? He did wonders with Nenad Krstic.

ShoeGuy
06-13-2013, 08:13 PM

:biggums: Gerald Wallace is not Lebron

niko
06-13-2013, 08:16 PM
As long as our defense improves, offense becomes more pretty..I can live with this. We need a big man coach too. Is Bill Cartwright available? He did wonders with Nenad Krstic.

I know this! Bill Cartwright is currently coaching a pro (what passes as pro, more semi-pro) team in Osaka.

daily
06-13-2013, 08:58 PM
Now watch the Judge toss Kidd in the pokey for 6 months after last years DUI :lol

The JKidd Kid
06-13-2013, 09:00 PM
:biggums: Gerald Wallace is not Lebron

Gerald Wallace played a lot of Point Forward when he was in Portland and Charlotte and he is a very accurate passer and has a very tight dribble for a small forward. Sure he isnt Lebron, but there are 400 other players in this league that aren't as good as Lebron.

niko
06-13-2013, 09:03 PM
Gerald Wallace played a lot of Point Forward when he was in Portland and Charlotte and he is a very accurate passer and has a very tight dribble for a small forward. Sure he isnt Lebron, but there are 400 other players in this league that aren't as good as Lebron.

Gerald Wallace isn't an elite player anymore. He's not going to be a featured part of anything as anything. Kidd said this because he needs to get everyone on board, get them into it, not throw anyone under the bus. If Jason Kidd REALLY thinks Wallace as point forward is a key you are pretty much ****ed, luckily we know that's not the case.

prodigyjazz
06-13-2013, 09:26 PM
I remember when D-Will made J-kidd & CP3 do push ups when they were on the olympic team with each other - 3:10 of this clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl8gg2yxFZo

The JKidd Kid
06-13-2013, 10:08 PM
Gerald Wallace isn't an elite player anymore. He's not going to be a featured part of anything as anything. Kidd said this because he needs to get everyone on board, get them into it, not throw anyone under the bus. If Jason Kidd REALLY thinks Wallace as point forward is a key you are pretty much ****ed, luckily we know that's not the case.

Yes, Wallace isnt an elite player, but he is still a serviceable 5th option starter. Also, Wallace actually served as the ball handler in one of the nets' best (and only) sets they ran this year, where they had both Johnson and Williams coming off screens. He also showed in the last 3 games of the Bulls series that he is still a great player in transition and can handle the ball and make good, quick decisions on the break. I think that by point forward, Kidd meant another ball handler on the break, not a Lebron-like point forward. At least we see Kidd trying to utilize Wallace in a role that he can succeed in, unlike our awful coaching staff from this past year that tried to make him into a spot up 3 point shooter.

WWRWestbrookDo?
06-13-2013, 10:08 PM
I know he's one of the best point guards ever but can this dude talk and run plays? Or is he going to have like an assistant coach that draws up the plays for him?

He never seemed like a "bright" person to me.

The JKidd Kid
06-13-2013, 10:18 PM
I know he's one of the best point guards ever but can this dude talk and run plays? Or is he going to have like an assistant coach that draws up the plays for him?

He never seemed like a "bright" person to me.

Hes always been praised as an amazing communicator and a great leader, and allways taking young players under his wing. His head coaches also said that he would constantly suggest plays and different ways to do things during practice, so he definately has a lot of aspects of coaching down already. The only thing that I think is an actual question mark is his ability to design an effective defense.

StackzUp
06-13-2013, 11:32 PM
Risky move for me, but seeing what Mark Jackson did for Golden State, it can work. Jason Kidd will have to get the best out of D-Will and Joe Johnson and bring them both back to their all star ways. Brook is potent on offense, his rebounding needs work though. Gerald just needs a role. He can still contribute and be a good player. Doesn't need to be elite, but he needs to find a role, similar to how Blatche found a role.

niko
06-13-2013, 11:36 PM
Hes always been praised as an amazing communicator and a great leader, and allways taking young players under his wing. His head coaches also said that he would constantly suggest plays and different ways to do things during practice, so he definately has a lot of aspects of coaching down already. The only thing that I think is an actual question mark is his ability to design an effective defense.
The only question mark (as Isola said) is if he's smart enough to tell everyone NO when they invite him out to the club during the season, if he can seperate and put in the ridiculous effort being a coach entails. It's not his ability, it's his mindset, because even with his ridiculous on court accumen (unmatched) he's not been particularly mature during his career off court, whether it's taking his general unhappiness and quitting on a situation, or the various stupid off court domestic stuff.

If you think his only potential problem is designing a defense then you're not really looking at this situation in any detail. He can design a defense, an offense, do every task needed. It's not that simple.

The JKidd Kid
06-13-2013, 11:44 PM
Risky move for me, but seeing what Mark Jackson did for Golden State, it can work. Jason Kidd will have to get the best out of D-Will and Joe Johnson and bring them both back to their all star ways. Brook is potent on offense, his rebounding needs work though. Gerald just needs a role. He can still contribute and be a good player. Doesn't need to be elite, but he needs to find a role, similar to how Blatche found a role.

D-Will returned to his all star ways after he got treatment for his ankles. Now it's up to Kidd to bring him back to his best PG in the league ways. I don't think that Joe will ever be an all star again, I think he just needs to embrace his role as a 3rd option, big shot maker/ bail out player and learn how to become a more consistent 3 pt shooter and use screens more effectively. Also, if he could addthe ability to be a pick and roll ball handler to his talents like he did in Atlanta, I think that that could greatly improve the potentcy of their half court offense.

Lebron23
11-26-2013, 11:02 PM
inb4 Kidd wins COTY and gets fired.

:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

Worst Coach in the NBA.

Meticode
06-29-2014, 09:17 PM
:roll:

You aren't going to find a more intelligent player or coach than Jason Kidd. I'd say he's prepared, but there will be a learning curve. Brian Shaw would be a nice addition to this team though - I can't say for sure it's due to him but both with the Lakers and the Pacers his teams seem to have a very tangible rebounding edge and really find a way to encorporate people into an offense.

I personally think that this is going to be a success. If anyone is going to successfully make the jump from coach to player, it's going to be Kidd. He already has the qualities of a great coach, good communicator, demands respect, incredible basketball mind now we have to see if he can live up to his potential. The Nets got the 4th seed by relying on talent alone, with a decent coach, who knows what they can do. I just don't see any possible way that Kidd could be worse than Carlesimo, I'm pretty sure my sister could've coached the Nets better than he did.

he was a coach on the floor

and took the nets to the finals

their center was jason collins

he knows the game

Jasper
06-30-2014, 09:58 AM
Kidd for Kohl