PDA

View Full Version : Name the players who upon FIRST seeing their highlights you simply went "WOW"

CavaliersFTW
04-08-2013, 09:42 PM
For me off the top of my head:

Magic Johnson

Pistol Pete

Larry Bird

Hakeem Olajuwon

Wilt Chamberlain

Michael Jordan

These guys plus probably some that I'm forgetting got me hooked on basketball with their dazzling plays and abilities.

elementally morale
04-08-2013, 09:45 PM
Magic
Hakeem
Bird

But I saw all their careers live, so it's not that big a deal. There are two newcomers I had that experience with though:

Rubio
Irving

La Frescobaldi
04-08-2013, 09:50 PM
Pete Maravich.

Earl Monroe.

Connie Hawkins.

Tiny Nate Archibald on the playgrounds was insanity turned loose on the world

La Frescobaldi
04-08-2013, 09:52 PM
Magic
Hakeem
Bird

But I saw all their careers live, so it's not that big a deal. There are two newcomers I had that experience with though:

Rubio
Irving

yeah no kidding. Ain't nothing wrong with the world when guys like that are showing up in the NBA!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

illogik
04-08-2013, 10:04 PM
I think it's obvious but Dwyane Wade.

RoundMoundOfReb
04-08-2013, 10:06 PM
Magic has the best highlights imo.

Crystallas
04-08-2013, 10:08 PM
Nique might be my all-time favorite in the wow-factor.

Deuce Bigalow
04-08-2013, 10:20 PM
Magic, MJ, and Kobe.

It certainly was not Wilt OP :oldlol:

ILLsmak
04-08-2013, 10:22 PM
For me off the top of my head:

Magic Johnson

Pistol Pete

Larry Bird

Hakeem Olajuwon

Wilt Chamberlain

Michael Jordan

These guys plus probably some that I'm forgetting got me hooked on basketball with their dazzling plays and abilities.

I've seen a lot of bball. Seen a lot of crazy shit. Like I said in a LARRY thread (that was probably claiming he was overrated), dude is the only guy that I've seen that I was like WAT in terms of highlights. But I started watching the NBA when a lot of good players were balling.

-Smak

Scholar
04-08-2013, 10:39 PM
When YouTube was first introduced and it wasn't as massively widespread as it is today, my brother showed me a top 10 video of Vince Carter. I was amazed. There were a lot of dunks I had never seen before, including the windmill off the backboard during a fastbreak in his Toronto days.

elementally morale
04-08-2013, 10:40 PM
When YouTube was first introduced and it wasn't as massively widespread as it is today, my brother showed me a top 10 video of Vince Carter. I was amazed. There were a lot of dunks I had never seen before, including the windmill off the backboard during a fastbreak in his Toronto days.

Absolutely correct. Vince Carter blew my mind, too.

04-08-2013, 10:41 PM
To personally it was Michael J.

That double (triple) pump layup he did at home against the Nets. He went past derrick Coleman, Chris dudley, and some 1 else. You could see one of the bench warmers from the nets bench reacting genuinely impressed. I think even Sam bowie was on the bench and reacted. Poor Sam lol:lol :lol he had to watch a lot of those wow plays from MJ like the rest of the world

while the rest of the world ragged on him for being drafted before MJ :(

And when I saw that move it was early 90s. It was one of those vhs tapes released by the NBA and I was 13 at the time. I was more impressionable back then than today. :lol

no pun intended
04-08-2013, 10:55 PM
Wilt Chamberlain.

andgar923
04-08-2013, 11:03 PM
Not to diminish or dismiss the players before the 80s, but I have never seen any of their highlights and thought "WOW". Simply because what they did evolved as time went on. I was also too young in most cases to truly appreciate what they were doing in their era 'at that moment'. Sure, as I matured I gained a new respect and appreciation, but never did I have the same reaction as the following.

Here are players that I did see that made me take a second look and go "oh shit!". Some may not have turned out to be great players, but at the moment they had that quality that made you take notice.

Bird: What made me appreciate him was his IQ. And it wasn't so much that I was saying "wow" or "Oh shit", but I thought to myself…. that shit was a very simple play, so why didn't anybody else stop it or think of it first?

Magic: Explanation not needed

MJ: I was a Magic fan, I was a Lakers fan. Until I saw an MJ clip. He was Dr J, he was Connie, he was Ice Man all in one and then some.

Ronnie Fields: One of the first cats that I can remember vividly seeing at his height throw down like a big man. He didn't appear to be 6'4 the way he played over the rim. He had handles, speed, power, jumping ability.

Shaq: Dat Power mixed with finesse

Nick Van Exel: yeah, there's been guys with crazy handles and crossovers. But nobody up to that point 'danced' with the ball. He played with a rhythm that was different than everybody else, almost unguardable one on one.

Tayshaun Prince: This was a high school game Lynwood (my alma mater) vs cross town rival Dominguez. Here he was on the court at 6'8 (although he appeared much much taller in person) getting a damn everything imaginable double double. He had over 10 blocks, 10 assists, 10 steals, over 40 points and he was doing it with ease. Like he was playing vs lil boys, and our school wasn't no chumps either. Yet he was obliterating everybody, he had everybody on our school going crazy as if we were in his home.

Bron: I wasn't super impressed with his athleticism, we've seen players with his size and athleticism before. It was his court vision and playmaking that made me take a second look. It was his high school televised game on ESPN that made me say "dude can be the best NBA player in 3-4 years"

JKidd at Cal: I don't think I remember a player create fast breaks out of nothing, I can't remember a player run the court as fast and find open men as fast since Magic. He used to kill in college, just playing 100 mph while everybody played at 50 mph.

JDub: don't front, the first time you saw Jayson Williams your eyes opened and your jaw dropped. Why? because he was WHITE.

No VC for me. Why? we've seen players that could jump before, his game wasn't extraordinary.

TheBrewer
04-08-2013, 11:05 PM
AI
Shaq
Kobe
Reggie

WayOfWade
04-08-2013, 11:06 PM
Dwyane Wade. WoW

andgar923
04-08-2013, 11:08 PM
Dwyane Wade. WoW

Touche sir, touche.

Stuckey
04-08-2013, 11:43 PM
Dwyane Wade. WoW

was gonna say

I'm gonna go with Carmelo's post game

prime Amare dunking over 2 3 guys just muscling face up down in the post

colorz
04-08-2013, 11:44 PM
Blake Griffin.

Kombo
04-08-2013, 11:49 PM
Baron Davis at UCLA.

LikeABosh
04-08-2013, 11:57 PM
Young D Wade, guy was a one man circus in his first 3-4 years especially

Kingwillball
04-09-2013, 12:06 AM
Umm seeing LEbron in HS U knew he would be one of the greatest Ever back than.

memetherapy
04-09-2013, 12:06 AM
Vince and AI

christian1923
04-09-2013, 12:27 AM
I know this isn't basketball but Reggie bush at USC highlights are WOW

But k mart at cincy

Amare in high school and phx

Iverson handles video

Tracy mcgrady

Scotte pippin

livingby3's
04-09-2013, 12:27 AM
AI Shaq VC Jkidd Nash and, BRoy

talkingconch
04-09-2013, 12:28 AM
Jordan, Kobe, Shaq

Rake2204
04-09-2013, 12:48 AM
There's a lot of players whose highlights made me say "WOW" but in trying to stay true to the thread, players who made me say "WOW" virtually the first time I saw their highlights include Vince Carter and Jason "White Chocolate" Williams. I'd known of Carter while he was at UNC, but the moment I saw him perform that double-clutch reverse around Mullin and Smits... I became an instant fan. His rise and dunk style was different than anything I'd ever seen.

Similarly, I never watched Jason Williams in college, so the moment he burst on the scene with his wild moves that were not very common in basketball at that point, I was most certainly wowed.

Shih508
04-09-2013, 01:07 AM
AI

stephanieg
04-09-2013, 01:10 AM
Shawn Kemp. And it's too bad, because a lot of them would be charges/flops or technicals nowadays.

Graviton
04-09-2013, 01:15 AM
D-Rose, he was just amazing to watch. The grace, the precision, the hangtime and craftiness in the paint was something else. He was an athletic PG that had the skill to slip past 3-4 defenders and get the ball in the basket while avoiding contact. And that floater is just money.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q8Cx85w-uw

thabisyo
04-09-2013, 01:26 AM
MJ :bowdown:
SHAQ :bowdown:
HAKEEM :bowdown:
LEBRON :bowdown: " no regard for human life" dunk

Riverdale
04-09-2013, 02:10 AM
Larry Bird has to top the list. Granted, I saw him live before seeing a highlight, but I could really watch Bird highlights all day long. The things he does on a basketball court are just incredible (this coming from a Laker fan).

Going a little off topic, and not a knock on LeBron, but it really makes me cringe when I see topics about him being a better player than Bird. I'd take '86 Bird over any version of James, and I'd even venture to go as far as saying it isn't terribly close.

Jolokia
04-09-2013, 02:18 AM
Way Of Wade

RoundMoundOfReb
04-09-2013, 02:22 AM
Dwyane Wade. WoW
:lol :applause:

Seriously though he has some nice highlights. very smooth game.

CavaliersFTW
04-09-2013, 02:30 AM
Larry Bird has to top the list. Granted, I saw him live before seeing a highlight, but I could really watch Bird highlights all day long. The things he does on a basketball court are just incredible (this coming from a Laker fan).

Going a little off topic, and not a knock on LeBron, but it really makes me cringe when I see topics about him being a better player than Bird. I'd take '86 Bird over any version of James, and I'd even venture to go as far as saying it isn't terribly close.
I'd have to agree that Larry was one of if not the most mind boggling players to watch in highlights.

And I agree Lebron is a bit meh in comparison. However I do think that just because a player doesn't look good (or rather *as good*) in highlights doesn't necessarily mean they aren't as good as other players who do look good in highlights. Case in point, Oscar Robertson and Tim Duncan. Both guys play the game on such fundamentally simple (yet 100% efficient/effective) terms that they don't actually make for good "highlight" material. I think Lebron has a little bit of that "simple" fundamental play in his game. Larry on the other hand seems to fake the shit out of people, shoot with both hands and make blind passes just for the sake of having some fun out there. And it looks incredible in highlights. I agree with you though about 86 Bird - I think he's better than any version of Lebron so far.

Riverdale
04-09-2013, 02:48 AM
I'd have to agree that Larry was one of if not the most mind boggling players to watch in highlights.

And I agree Lebron is a bit meh in comparison. However I do think that just because a player doesn't look good (or rather *as good*) in highlights doesn't necessarily mean they aren't as good as other players who do look good in highlights. Case in point, Oscar Robertson and Tim Duncan. Both guys play the game on such fundamentally simple (yet 100% efficient/effective) terms that they don't actually make for good "highlight" material. I think Lebron has a little bit of that "simple" fundamental play in his game. Larry on the other hand seems to fake the shit out of people, shoot with both hands and make blind passes just for the sake of having some fun out there. And it looks incredible in highlights. I agree with you though about 86 Bird - I think he's better than any version of Lebron so far.

Ah sorry, didn't intend to derail your thread, so will just leave it at this:

I agree with you entirely on your post (except maybe where I actually enjoy Duncan highlights/style of play). No way is a 10 minute YouTube clip enough for anyone to judge a player's ability. My post was based on having seen a fair amount of both players to have been able to form an opinion.

:cheers:

michaelray
04-09-2013, 02:58 AM
Wilt Chamberlain: when i see him grab a rebound and knock two defender down
Larry Bird:Spectaculor player! especially from 81-86
Michael Jordan:HIs up-and-under layup in his early years
Pistol Pete:As amazing as Magicman

Kevin Mchale:Unstoppable low-post player in his Entire Career
Bernard King: Unstoppable SF in His Prime
Andrew Toney: man is a Killer with those Pull-up shot and big-heart Play

Dr.J: His ABA highlight is unreal
Moses Malone: Best offensive player under double-team/triple-team

Mrofir
04-09-2013, 03:00 AM
did I miss something or seriously, has nobody mentioned prime Amare Stoudemire? I'm talking #32 Amare here. Dude was out of this world before microfracture.

compilation : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GfdGMlX6r4 (skip to 1:14 for the good stuff..)

shorter clips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuxoqAZEy6U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5bH9kTyg_M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y5yb_u3OFw

Quintilianus
04-09-2013, 03:03 AM
Kemp and Bird

Lebron23
04-09-2013, 03:09 AM
LeBron James. 18 yrs.old LeBron had a great debut againts a veteran Sacramento Kings team. He's going to end up as the best Small Forward in NBA History.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m0_f-bfWFA

bdreason
04-09-2013, 03:14 AM
In the last few years I'll say John Wall and Andre Drummond.

KOBE143
04-09-2013, 03:41 AM
If we're talking only about highlights then there's a lot of player that makes me WOW by just watching their highlights but if we talk about everything not just their games, highlights, etc. then Kobe is my choice.. Kobe as a whole is WOW.. His looks, his body, the way he dress, his voice, his games, everything about Kobe is WOW not just his highlights.. Even he's doing nothing, it still makes me WOW..

Rubio2Gasol
04-09-2013, 03:50 AM
JR Smith :lol

jcsrplumply
04-09-2013, 04:05 AM
Vince Carter - His dunks were surreal, hoped that he lasted longer.
Hakeem Olajuwon - One of the best and exciting post moves.
Magic Johnson - loves to see team-basketball at it's best. :D

6 for 24
04-09-2013, 04:12 AM
Mr. KOBE143:

You speak as wish I could, only much more eloquently. I watched a match involving Kobe Bryant versus another team. During this match, Mr. Bryant hoisted the basketball over 45 times en route to some 30-odd points (I do not recall if his team won the battle on the scorecards but he most certainly won the battle in my heart). After the match concluded, I attempted to recreate this performance by chucking my spear 45 times. After 20 chucks, I was physically exhausted. After 30, my mate Dumisani, demanded that I stop hogging the spear and give him a throw. But, like my idol, I simply ignored his agitated stares and kept chucking. Alas, at 40 chucks I could go no further-- the physical and mental pressure was too much.

I am a far cry from Kobe Bryant, but I am trying.

Warmest regards,

Ayotunde Ndiaye

RoundMoundOfReb
04-09-2013, 04:14 AM
Mr. KOBE143:

You speak as wish I could, only much more eloquently. I watched a match involving Kobe Bryant versus another team. During this match, Mr. Bryant hoisted the basketball over 45 times en route to some 30-odd points (I do not recall if his team won the battle on the scorecards but he most certainly won the battle in my heart). After the match concluded, I attempted to recreate this performance by chucking my spear 45 times. After 20 chucks, I was physically exhausted. After 30, my mate Dumisani, demanded that I stop hogging the spear and give him a throw. But, like my idol, I simply ignored his agitated stares and kept chucking. Alas, at 40 chucks I could go no further-- the physical and mental pressure was too much.

Warmest regards,

Ayotunde Ndiaye

Best newbie so far. :roll: :roll: :roll: :oldlol:

eSOL
04-09-2013, 04:27 AM
Bron
Mj
Magic especially
Vince carter
Hakeem

kennethgriffin
04-09-2013, 04:34 AM
i like how OP excludes one of the top 5 difficult/spectacular shot makers of all time out of his list. but includes boring old wilt the stilt

miller-time
04-09-2013, 04:43 AM
Every now and then Rondo impresses me.

Also Nash from a few seasons ago.

BoutPractice
04-09-2013, 04:50 AM
Naming only players I actually discovered through highlights... (more precisely, high school highlights at the time):
- Derrick Rose
- Kyrie Irving
- Anthony Davis

Tking714
04-09-2013, 04:55 AM
Steph Curry when he was at Davidson

aj1987
04-09-2013, 05:03 AM
Mr. KOBE143:

Warmest regards,

Ayotunde Ndiaye
Hahahaha! Greatest post ever! :roll:

WillC
04-09-2013, 05:11 AM
Mark Price
Pete Maravich
Connie Hawkins
Ricky Rubio
Magic Johnson
Larry Bird
Bob Cousy
Dominique Wilkins
Shawn Kemp

No_Look604
04-09-2013, 05:13 AM
runio, irving, steph curry

Element
04-09-2013, 05:16 AM
Rose for sure. D-Wade, AI in their primes were just electric. Kobe and the ridiculous shots he makes, MJ with his crazy finishes. Hakeem when he schooled D-Rob. Just too many to mention...

Breezy
04-09-2013, 05:20 AM
i like how OP excludes one of the top 5 difficult/spectacular shot makers of all time out of his list. but includes boring old wilt the stilt

I know! Gervin is mandatory for any "Wow" list. Can I get a high-five!!!

Random_Guy
04-09-2013, 07:54 AM
would probably not be on top of anyone's list but when I saw Peja's pass to Bobby Jackson I was:eek: :eek:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu0uvydwUTA

Manu also has some amazing highlights~like that laser pass

Uncle Drew
04-09-2013, 08:02 AM
Vince Carter

TheBigVeto
04-09-2013, 08:28 AM
If we're talking only about highlights then there's a lot of player that makes me WOW by just watching their highlights but if we talk about everything not just their games, highlights, etc. then Kobe is my choice.. Kobe as a whole is WOW.. His looks, his body, the way he dress, his voice, his games, everything about Kobe is WOW not just his highlights.. Even he's doing nothing, it still makes me WOW..

That's nice. Here's another Kobe related thing to make you go WOW:

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh600/Rodman2124/kobeclutch.gif

andremiller07
04-09-2013, 09:03 AM
Baron Davis at UCLA.
Yeap pretty much blew me away that did

deja vu
04-09-2013, 09:05 AM
Darko Milicic
Kwame Brown
Sebastian Telfair
Greg Oden

kshutts1
04-09-2013, 09:19 AM
Yi Jianlian.

hybridLB
04-09-2013, 10:06 AM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0905/nba.best.playoff.series/images/1989.michael-jordan.millan.jpg

Alan Ogg
04-09-2013, 01:48 PM
Well, I'm gonna mention players before my time. Wilt, Oscar, Kareem, Pistol Pete, Gervin, Dr. J.

alwaysunny
04-09-2013, 02:06 PM
Naming only players I actually discovered through highlights... (more precisely, high school highlights at the time):
- Derrick Rose
- Kyrie Irving
- Anthony Davis

Exactly. Why is everyone naming players you could've watched from the actual games? I thought this was about highlights?

Rose, EJ and Wall for me. These 3 exact clips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whcT6B6huPo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNQRKsZYXZ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4CbQGBbUOw

Jailblazers7
04-09-2013, 02:11 PM
Not going to mention any 80s, 90s, 00s players because they are prob fairly obvious. John Wall's HS mixtape caught me off guard tho, amazing highlight tape (even if it was at the HS level).

^oh yeah, D-Rose too. Couldn't believe how athletic he was.

Haks
04-09-2013, 02:16 PM
derrick rose

SamuraiSWISH
04-09-2013, 02:17 PM
The most "WOW-ed" I've EVER been by highlights is of Jordan. He was this freak like combination through out his career of entertainment value. It was like watching Wade + Kobe + LeBron + Vince Carter + Iverson. He had the cool factor of Iverson (ushered in baggy shorts, like AI) ... he had the generational defining all around on court dominance and winning stature of LeBron ... he had the down to earth tattoo-less likability of Wade pre-Decision and his attacking ability ... he had VC's insane hops and dunking ability ... and he had Kobe's intimidating game, mentality, skills, foot work, dynamic scoring binges and sexy jumper. Most of these elements of these guys to a greater degree.

And it shows in highlights. He was entertaining all through out his career. Not only was he a champion, a winner, but he probably had the most aesthetically pleasing game of all-time. No one even moves like him, the way he walked, taunted, chewed gum, ran, moved with and without the ball, and in the air ... has often been tried to imitated, never duplicated. Not only did he have absurd aerial highlights, he had demonstrations of all-time elite footwork, jumper, and post skills. A bball IQ that made him enjoyable to watch. Rarely if ever making stupid plays. A heart and clutch ability ALWAYS making him rise to the moment, and surpass expectations.

He was as entertaining a 35 year old in 1998, as he was as a 24 year old in 1987, as he was a 28 / 29 / 30 year old in 1991, 1992 and 1993 at the peak of his powers. He among ANYBODY always had the "WOW" factor. He raised his game on the big stage, on call like the best of thespians. The context and narrative he created with his game. The guy was the most compelling figure to ever step on the court in sneaks thus far.

There have been other "WOW" dudes, and other "WOW" games. None quite compete with Jordan. And it's evident in the power and name recognition he still holds after being 10 years retired, and really 15 years since he was actually truly relevant as the game's best player when he was last a Bull in 1998. No one else wields that kind of power. Guy had a friggin statue WHILE HE WAS PLAYING in front of a stadium that HIS drawing power produced.

I've seen a lot of nice passers and great ball handlers: Magic, Bird, Paul, Nash, Kidd, Stockton, etc.

I've seen freak athletes and amazing dunkers: Shaq, LeBron, Iverson, Kemp, Amare, Griffin, Carter, T-Mac

I've seen relentless attackers with blinding quickness: Wade, Wall, Rondo, Rose

I've seen players with AMAZING footwork: Kobe, Hakeem, McHale

Who on earth combined the entire package the way MJ did? He was literally the best of the current generations 3 best players and stars Wade / Kobe / LeBron all rolled into one mouth watering basketball package.

kenny817
04-09-2013, 02:37 PM
SMH @ everybody who doesn't say Vince Carter

Rasheed1
04-09-2013, 03:07 PM
SMH @ everybody who doesn't say Vince Carter

Vince Carter highlights are a treat to the eyes :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHG1g8IFbQk

I have to also put D wade on the list

others would be:

Magic Johnson
Allen Iverson
Michael Jordan

FKAri
04-09-2013, 04:11 PM
Shane Battier

Mr Exlax
04-09-2013, 04:45 PM
Shawn Kemp for me. I would see him during some games, but I wasn't a basketball junkie yet. I happen to catch a vhs tape of highlights and I knew then that I would become The Reignman.

AndOn3
04-09-2013, 04:47 PM
Out of high school right now, I have to go with Andrew Wiggins and Aaron Gordon (whom I go to school with).

Pointguard
04-09-2013, 05:17 PM
Derrick Rose was the biggest surprise to me because I didn't hear a thing about him when I first saw him live and then saw this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6G_RRGHzfA

Still to this day he is one of the most impressive players I ever saw live.

Magic
MJ
Carter
Lebron

My surprise pick is Talfair. He used to go totally crazy at Rucker Park. A young Kenny Anderson was as silky smooth as anybody I would later see as well.

therammingman
04-09-2013, 05:19 PM
when i saw brent barrys highlight video during the nba draft i thought he was going to be an all star....

Pointguard
04-09-2013, 05:25 PM
You really need to see Lebron live. He's really impressive live and up close. He's the only player that actually jolted me with his speed and control.

Xsatyr
04-09-2013, 05:53 PM
Hakeem, Bird, Magic, MJ, Rubio, Irving.

KobeMagic
04-09-2013, 05:54 PM
definitely Kobe. He is the best player I have ever seen.

pauk
04-09-2013, 06:16 PM
Pistol Pete, mostly because i never saw him play and because he was so way ahead of his time, super skilled & flashy with his passing/scoring/handling.

As far as those other guys go, MJ/Bird/Magic/Lebron/Kobe etc. for example, i didnt miss watching many of their games, so i mean i kindof went "wow" as i saw the plays happen ingame, before seeing highlights. Wilt/Oscar/Russell i didnt see ofcourse, but i didnt really go "wow" on any of their highlights, except for Wilt on some plays...