dannywpt
03-27-2013, 09:19 PM
Born 1995. I feel so old.

Sham
03-27-2013, 09:31 PM
Toronto stand up!

lilgodfather1
03-27-2013, 09:41 PM
I'm Canadian (live about two hours away from where he's from), so I really do want the kid to succeed, but let him play with some real players first.

All of these "next star" prospects never seem to workout. Hopefully he does, but look at the list from the last couple of years.

Shabazz, Drummond, Barnes.

All three were pre college number 1 ranks. Two of them slipped out of the top 5 of the draft, and Bazz likely will aswell.

I'm not trying to be a hater, just a realist. Maybe he will be the one guy in the last few years that is just such a can't miss player that he won't slip, but over a year away from the NBA draft we don't know.

sick_brah07
03-27-2013, 10:07 PM
they are calling him the best prospect since lebron james

i just dont see it, i think he is an awesome athlete with such smoothness on the court and apprently has a great work ethic which is awesome to see

ive only seen very limited ammount of footage so obviously i could be very wrong

i like something about jabari parkers game though dunno what it is

lilgodfather1
03-27-2013, 10:18 PM
they are calling him the best prospect since lebron james

i just dont see it, i think he is an awesome athlete with such smoothness on the court and apprently has a great work ethic which is awesome to see

ive only seen very limited ammount of footage so obviously i could be very wrong

i like something about jabari parkers game though dunno what it is
You should read some of the stuff the Canadian prop... er media says about the kid. I forget the exact article, but it said, and I loosely quote "He can score like Kevin Durant, but he's better at defense."

That particular line drives me nuts. I'm not sure that is 100% word for word, but it's pretty close. To me that means the kid is a failure if he's not a 28ppg scorer his rookie year. He's a failure if he's not an all NBA level defender his rookie year.

There were also some articles talking about how great his passing skills are. Don't get me wrong I think he'll be an alright player, but calling him Durant with better defense is basically calling him LeBron. For someone to come close to LeBron they'll need insane passing ability, efficient scoring, and insane athletecism.

Pushxx
03-28-2013, 12:49 AM
There's something about him that reminds me of Jeff Green.

inclinerator
03-28-2013, 12:50 AM
where are the post move highlights

iDunk
03-28-2013, 01:04 AM
Jordan >> Kobe >> LeBron >> Wiggins

dbk123
03-28-2013, 01:08 AM
Jordan >>Lebron>> Kobe >> Wiggins>>Melo
fixed

Diegio
03-28-2013, 01:14 AM
There's something about him that reminds me of Jeff Green.

That aggression towards the rim? Now that you mention it, I kinda agree with you.

BoutPractice
03-28-2013, 03:06 AM
I like that he also seems to have a decent jumpshot and ball handling skills (good spin move, not sure how the crossover translates at this point). Most high school mixtapes just show dunks and plays that any mediocre NBA player-to-be could pull off against this competition, which makes them tough to evaluate.

bdreason
03-28-2013, 03:37 AM
I always look for the footwork and coordination,. Hopstep, dropstep, eurostep, reverse-spin, etc.

That's why I was/am so high on Drummond. For a guy with his size and athleticism, he also has great footwork and coordination.

nosfan773
03-28-2013, 03:42 AM
I'm no scout but IMO he's the best prospect since Leboo.

Dave3
03-28-2013, 03:56 AM
I'm Canadian (live about two hours away from where he's from), so I really do want the kid to succeed, but let him play with some real players first.

All of these "next star" prospects never seem to workout. Hopefully he does, but look at the list from the last couple of years.

Shabazz, Drummond, Barnes.

All three were pre college number 1 ranks. Two of them slipped out of the top 5 of the draft, and Bazz likely will aswell.

I'm not trying to be a hater, just a realist. Maybe he will be the one guy in the last few years that is just such a can't miss player that he won't slip, but over a year away from the NBA draft we don't know.
I agree with your general idea, but this guy outplayed everyone a year ago as a 17 year old, winning the game MVP over Shabbaz in the USA vs. World game. He's shown he can play well (without dominating the ball) against the best competition available at his age (and a year or 2 older).

Obviously too early to say next big star but he certainly looks like he's got a ton of talent.

Legends66NBA7
03-28-2013, 04:28 AM
He looks like a mix of Wade and Durant.

Aussie Dunker
03-28-2013, 05:08 AM
There is no doubt whoever gets him will be very lucky - his spin move is incredible! But how would it fair against NBA level players?

Great athlete obviously, attitude will be the difference between being the next Jeff Green or the next big thing...

kurple
03-28-2013, 07:40 AM
wiggins is special

maybeshewill13
03-28-2013, 08:53 AM
He looks like a mix of Wade and Durant.
How does he look anything like Durant from that video? :biggums:

It's just a compilation of dunks.. impressive but nothing like the way Durant plays. INB4 HURR YEAH NOT LIKE DURANT THERE WERE NO FREE THROWS!!

Thorpesaurous
03-28-2013, 09:11 AM
He's got a little young McGrady in him. I know he's young and can fill out, but I don't think he's got the frame to carry a really physical body. It'll be more about body control for him going to the rim.

Durant is different animal. It's hard to compare someone to Durant because he's just one of the truely great shooters ever. Shooting at that level can't be measured without it actually happening over the course NBA seasons.

dbk123
03-28-2013, 09:16 AM

It's just a compilation of dunks.. impressive but nothing like the way Durant plays. INB4 HURR YEAH NOT LIKE DURANT THERE WERE NO FREE THROWS!!

their both skinny and long. and theyre both black too.:confusedshrug:

Sarcastic
03-28-2013, 10:15 AM
It's ridiculous that he has to waste an entire year of his life rotting on some crappy college team. He should be in the NBA next year.

Andy Hug
03-28-2013, 10:17 AM
Reppin Toronto

DukeDelonte13
03-28-2013, 10:39 AM
It's ridiculous that he has to waste an entire year of his life rotting on some crappy college team. He should be in the NBA next year.

I hate this dumb-assed mind set. Who really gives a sh*t if he won't get to the nba till he is 19? It's better for teams to see how this kid plays at the college level anyways. For every superstar drafted out of highschool there are the Cj. Mileses, telfairs, and kwame browns, etc. Boo hoo. Wiggins has to play at an elite basketball school for a year.

Shade8780
03-28-2013, 11:02 AM
He's going to have to waste one whole year of his life in college before he becomes a multimillionaire for the rest of his life :eek: !!!! Poor him.

Sarcastic
03-28-2013, 11:05 AM
I hate this dumb-assed mind set. Who really gives a sh*t if he won't get to the nba till he is 19? It's better for teams to see how this kid plays at the college level anyways. For every superstar drafted out of highschool there are the Cj. Mileses, telfairs, and kwame browns, etc. Boo hoo. Wiggins has to play at an elite basketball school for a year.

What the hell do you need to see more of? He'll be the number 1 pick this year, next year, last year, the year before last. What does playing in a crappy non NBA system with limited practice gonna do for Andrew Wiggins, other than make millions of dollars for the school/NCAA, of which he will see exactly $0.00 of?

Sarcastic
03-28-2013, 11:24 AM
He's going to have to waste one whole year of his life in college before he becomes a multimillionaire for the rest of his life :eek: !!!! Poor him.

Or he can blow out his knee like Nerlens Noel, or worse. You just never know.

InspiredLebowski
03-28-2013, 11:30 AM
Or he can blow out his knee like Nerlens Noel, or worse. You just never know.It's not even about that. Noel's still going to be a top 3 pick, maybe even number 1. Short of something super weird, like getting shot in a robbery or something, injuries aren't really THAT big a risk anymore for future earnings. Especially since the advisers for most of these kids are smart enough to get them insurance.

But the age rule steals a year of wages from them. That's my problem with it.

Sarcastic
03-28-2013, 11:36 AM
It's not even about that. Noel's still going to be a top 3 pick, maybe even number 1. Short of something super weird, like getting shot in a robbery or something, injuries aren't really THAT big a risk anymore for future earnings. Especially since the advisers for most of these kids are smart enough to get them insurance.

Noel is lucky that it's a weak draft, and the injury is recoverable. If Wiggins were available this year, he would go ahead of Noel. No question.

What's your take on Jedaveon Clowney? I think he should skip his junior year as well.

willds09
03-28-2013, 11:41 AM
fixed
:wtf: something seriously wrong with u, just like lil waynes i am not a human being 2:roll:

IGotACoolStory
03-28-2013, 10:14 PM
The three things you can take away from that mix (imo):

1) The guy just flat out jumps higher than most people. His normal leap going for a simple dunk is as high, if not higher, than most players exerting all their energy to try and poster someone. If you watched him play, he does it consistently throughout the entire game. There's no drop off from the opening minute to the last. His leaping ability is very impressive.

2) His second jump is unbelievably quick and, again, gets up unusually high. Seriously... Who gets up that high from a flatfooted standing jump after just landing? Go to 2:11. He misses a tip jam and then dunks his missed tip dunk attempt. That's incredible.

3) The quickness of his moves. The eurostep at :50, his spin move all over the video, his crossover (which needs tightening, but still). Particularly the eurostep. Remember that he's 6'7-6'8. His agility and body control is very good.

With him it's the potential of what he can become and the steady growth he's had since he's been a freshman in high school. Remember that he was once considered the top freshman, then the top sophomore, then the top junior before he reclassified only to become the top senior in a stacked high school class. That doesn't happen often. Players usually catch up athletically, or the guy on top doesn't progress like what you want to see, or the attention gets to his head, etc... Wiggins hasn't had any of those problems.

He's not LeBron and he's still pretty raw all around. Like I mentioned, he needs to work on his handle some and continue to improve his jumper. The improvement in his handle of the last year has been noticeable. We will see if the jumper ever comes around. At the very least I envision him to become an elite slasher at the NBA level. Which should buy him enough time to develop a respectable jump shot.

Tracy McGrady is probably the best comparison.

Hoiids
03-28-2013, 10:44 PM
inb4 he lied about his age and is 22

Legends66NBA7
03-28-2013, 10:50 PM

So Durant doesn't dunk or has highlight dunks ? :confusedshrug:

And yeah, McGrady is a good comparison too. Need to see more of his passing game.

#number6ix#
03-28-2013, 11:19 PM
Just think guys it'll be two short years til he's in the nba and hated by at least half of y'all

CLTHornets4eva
03-29-2013, 12:36 AM
I can't wait to see him in a UNC jersey next year...:rockon:

Legends66NBA7
03-29-2013, 12:40 AM
Just think guys it'll be two short years til he's in the nba and hated by at least half of y'all

That would be like every other NBA superstar.

:confusedshrug:

WolfGang
03-29-2013, 12:44 AM
When the kid actually learns how to play basketball he'll be a force. Right now he is just relying on his superior genetics to bully weaker players. He has the superstar body at such a young age but can he become a good player?

The Choken One
03-29-2013, 12:52 AM
/wouldtankfor

The Choken One
03-29-2013, 12:55 AM
I can't wait to see him in a UNC jersey next year...:rockon:
I think he's going to Kansas...but I wanna see him at Kentucky. Their team would be godlike if they brought in Wiggins along with the other 6 stars they got coming in, not to mention if any from the current team stay for some experience.

veilside23
03-30-2013, 10:16 AM
When the kid actually learns how to play basketball he'll be a force. Right now he is just relying on his superior genetics to bully weaker players. He has the superstar body at such a young age but can he become a good player?

he may suck in college but we all know that not all guys who played great in college = all star / superstar in nba...

but if i am to choose if anthony davis and wiggins were on the same draft based it on potential alone. id go with wiggins... the guy can play on both sides of the court right now .. he may not score 20ppg in college but am pretty sure he will be a atleast a decent defender.

Rubio2Gasol
03-30-2013, 10:25 AM
He should not have to go to College.

beau_boy04
03-31-2013, 04:47 PM
He should come to the chicago bulls and paired up with Derrick Rose and become the deadliest 1-2 punch in the Nba in few years. :cheers:

chips93
03-31-2013, 05:02 PM

:oldlol: totally true

its weird how it works like that.

Kurosawa0
03-31-2013, 05:38 PM
Put this way, worst case is he maybe Rudy Gay? That's honestly better than we can say about any player in this year's draft.

Dave3
03-31-2013, 06:03 PM
Put this way, worst case is he maybe Rudy Gay? That's honestly better than we can say about any player in this year's draft.

Doesn't have Rudy's jumper yet. Assuming his jumper does improve though, the Rudy Gay comparison isn't bad.

Best case scenario I do see a Durant/Wade Hybrid like Legends has said. He's got the length and jumper than elevates over others like Durant. He's also very quick with the ball like Durant. He doesn't hold onto the ball like others, but as soon as he gets it he makes a quick move, either jumper, drive, or pass. Also has quick post moves (though obviously very raw) like Wade, so again not holding onto the ball at all almost. With his length I also see him grabbing 7-8 rebounds throughout his career, while keeping his assists relatively low so a star (maybe at max 4-5) like Durant. He will finish at the rim over people with his length and vertical, and so far he's also pretty lanky like Durant, not as dominant physically as LeBron.

Like Wade he's very creative getting to the rim, using Euro steps, spin moves, hesitations etc. He could also be a very good shot blocker for shooting guard.

I don't like the McGrady comparison yet, because he hasn't shown the ridiculous range that Tmac had (not just making shots but creating shots out there. The 3s he hits are usually from a stand still position or catch and shoot, doesn't create from that far out like Tmac), nor does he have the extensive post game or playmaking of Tmac.

To me he's got the perimeter game of Durant and the slashing game of Wade, and his finishing is almost exactly in between them in terms of style.

Legends66NBA7
04-01-2013, 03:26 AM
Like Wade he's very creative getting to the rim, using Euro steps, spin moves, hesitations etc. He could also be a very good shot blocker for shooting guard.

Pretty much what I saw in that mix. His euro step is really nice.

By the way, I think draft express had him as a SF and that's what I probably see him for the future when his body gets more bigger.

I don't like the McGrady comparison yet, because he hasn't shown the ridiculous range that Tmac had (not just making shots but creating shots out there. The 3s he hits are usually from a stand still position or catch and shoot, doesn't create from that far out like Tmac), nor does he have the extensive post game or playmaking of Tmac.

Passing is the only reason why I would see the McGrady comparison, but since I don't know how much passing game Wiggins has, I've got too hold off on it as well. Both do seem to have similar length, but yeah, he doesn't have that ability McGrady has in his prime. I think I've read and heard from people close to him that his idol growing up is LeBron, so maybe he tries to have similar game to him ? Which would be quiet the task, but would love to see it pan out.

Young McGrady with the Raptors would be on par or better than prime Wade at shot blocking. He was a very active help defender.

To me he's got the perimeter game of Durant and the slashing game of Wade, and his finishing is almost exactly in between them in terms of style.

Pretty much how I feel, but I do think with his length comes the similar ability Durant has to at in game dunking the basketball. I wonder if he can also make the crazy layups both Durant and Wade have been known for too.

Dave3
04-01-2013, 03:30 AM
Pretty much what I saw in that mix. His euro step is really nice.

By the way, I think draft express had him as a SF and that's what I probably see him for the future when his body gets more bigger.

Passing is the only reason why I would see the McGrady comparison, but since I don't know how much passing game Wiggins has, I've got too hold off on it as well. Both do seem to have similar length, but yeah, he doesn't have that ability McGrady has in his prime. I think I've read and heard from people close to him that his idol growing up is LeBron, so maybe he tries to have similar game to him ? Which would be quiet the task, but would love to see it pan out.

Young McGrady with the Raptors would be on par or better than prime Wade at shot blocking. He was a very active help defender.

Pretty much how I feel, but I do think with his length comes the similar ability Durant has to at in game dunking the basketball. I wonder if he can also make the crazy layups both Durant and Wade have been known for too.

Not quite Tmac length. Wingspan of 6'11 and 6'7 in shoes at LeBron's camp. Tmac was 6'7 without shoes and had a 7'2 wingspan, which is insane. I wish he could reach that though. Either way he has the potential for being unstoppable.

Edit: And about the position, I'm not sure either if he will start as SG or SF, but he would have a physical advantage in both, obviously speed/quickness at 3, and length/size at the 2. If he was to grow one more inch though and his wingspan was to increase slightly, he'd have both those advantages at the 3.

Legends66NBA7
04-01-2013, 03:37 AM
Not quite Tmac length. Wingspan of 6'11 and 6'7 in shoes at LeBron's camp. Tmac was 6'7 without shoes and had a 7'2 wingspan, which is insane. I wish he could reach that though. Either way he has the potential for being unstoppable.

Hey, still has time to grow. :oldlol:

But damn, T-Mac was a hell of a talent. And yeah, I hope Wiggins can be that next unstoppable force. Also will depend if he lands to the right organization that will build around him correctly (and yes, I have to say it... don't be the Raptors).

Edit: And about the position, I'm not sure either if he will start as SG or SF, but he would have a physical advantage in both, obviously speed/quickness at 3, and length/size at the 2. If he was to grow one more inch though and his wingspan was to increase slightly, he'd have both those advantages at the 3.

Pretty much agree here. Can he play point ? Could see him spend time at PF with the extra height and weight.

Dave3
04-01-2013, 03:46 AM
Hey, still has time to grow. :oldlol:

But damn, T-Mac was a hell of a talent. And yeah, I hope Wiggins can be that next unstoppable force. Also will depend if he lands to the right organization that will build around him correctly (and yes, I have to say it... don't be the Raptors).

Pretty much agree here. Can he play point ? Could see him spend time at PF with the extra height and weight.
I don't know if he can create for others or not, but he hasn't shown it. I've only watched about 5 full games of his in addition to a ton of highlights, and his big thing is being quick with the ball (which I like). As soon as he makes the catch he makes a play, but doesn't hold onto the ball that much. I think that would be a better use for him than PG, as his talents for scoring and playing off the ball are great. Just as a consequence of how much he scores and how much he might be doubled, he'll have 4-5 assists, which I think is ideal.

And I think if we got a number 1 overall pick, even the Raptors couldn't mess that up that hard and bench him so we can win games with Kleiza and Alan Anderson. I really want to see him come to Toronto actually. Him with Valancuinas would probably form what Carter/Bosh could've been, but with the potential to be even better. That's if we haven't driven Val away yet in 2 years. I say full tank next year and trade for everyone's picks. Send Rudy Gay to Charlotte for their first, Lowry to Orlando for their pick, and Derozan to Phoenix for their first. Stock up on as many lottery picks as possible and then tank too just in case :oldlol:

Legends66NBA7
04-01-2013, 03:55 AM
And I think if we got a number 1 overall pick, even the Raptors couldn't mess that up that hard and bench him so we can win games with Kleiza and Alan Anderson. I really want to see him come to Toronto actually. Him with Valancuinas would probably form what Carter/Bosh could've been, but with the potential to be even better. That's if we haven't driven Val away yet in 2 years. I say full tank next year and trade for everyone's picks. Send Rudy Gay to Charlotte for their first, Lowry to Orlando for their pick, and Derozan to Phoenix for their first. Stock up on as many lottery picks as possible and then tank too just in case :oldlol:

We need get rid of Bargnani first before all of that.

I honestly don't want to see him hinder Jonas or any other future Raptor, especially if Wiggins does come to Toronto.

f0und
04-01-2013, 10:06 AM
nice video.

what i saw:
-crazy athletic ability. his head was regularly at rim level and he made it look effortless.
-good foot work. his drives werent just straight lines to the basket. he's quick for his size. used hesitations, spins, eurosteps, etc.
-solid handles
-nice touch around the rim. wasnt all dunks. had some nice layins and finger rolls.

this dude is gonna be a star.

Shade8780
04-01-2013, 10:16 AM
I don't know if he can create for others or not, but he hasn't shown it. I've only watched about 5 full games of his in addition to a ton of highlights, and his big thing is being quick with the ball (which I like). As soon as he makes the catch he makes a play, but doesn't hold onto the ball that much. I think that would be a better use for him than PG, as his talents for scoring and playing off the ball are great. Just as a consequence of how much he scores and how much he might be doubled, he'll have 4-5 assists, which I think is ideal.

What do you think Valanciunas's best case comparison is?

bmulls
04-01-2013, 12:20 PM
He was getting his nose over the rim like it was nothing. This kid is crazy athletic

Dave3
04-01-2013, 03:56 PM
What do you think Valanciunas's best case comparison is?
Just a disclaimer before I start - I'm probably extremely biased because he plays for the Raptors, but...

He's always reminded me of a baby Duncan. Same style in that he's very long and is a good shot blocker without having to get very high in the air, just having the right positioning. His rebounding is very solid, and his touch around the basket is actually amazing. Every form of hook shot, fadeaway and forced shot he puts up from around the post seems to go in. I truly think if this guy was given 32 mpg his stats would look like 16/11 with 2 blocks on 52 FG% and 75% FT%.

I don't notice it when watching the games as much but he does commit 3 fouls a game in limited minutes (there are some bullshit calls as he's a rookie), so obviously he's gotta control that, but he's still more effective defensively than anyone we have up there (except Davis but he got traded). I actually liked him and Davis as our front line a lot.

Back to Jonas though, I do think he plays a bit like Duncan, though obviously his defensive fundementals are nowhere near, because Duncan came out of college much older, but the best I see him becoming is a worse version of Duncan. Good post moves, good shot blocking/defensive positioning, good rebounding, and excellent touch around the basket while making free throws efficiently.

I'm sure other Raptors fans could give you more information too.

IGotACoolStory
04-01-2013, 04:25 PM
To further affirm Wiggins' rawness (and the incredible depth of this 2013 class), it's arguable he may not even be the best prospect during the first couple days from the McDonald's practices. He hasn't been the best player in terms of performance. From the mouth of college and NBA scouts.

Parker, Harrison twins, and Gordon are up there. Gordon might be the most impressive. Parker has been playing the best.

But you still hear that Wiggins has separated himself athletically from the field. Which is what most are betting on, paired with his already natural skill and decent feel for the game.

imo, Wiggins won't be the best freshman next year. He may not have the best stats in his first couple years in the league either. But then after that people will realize what he can, and probably will, become.

Again, not LeBron where the kid is the best and safest prospect.

kNicKz
04-01-2013, 04:39 PM
If I'm a college coach, from what I've seen out of all of the top prospects I'm recruiting Aaron Gordon the hardest. Something about his explosiveness catches me that I don't see in Jabari or Wiggins. Kid is a tank too

Euroleague
04-01-2013, 04:47 PM
This kid is an absolute one of a kind freak. But, if he keeps playing with that style his body will never hold up. His knees and ankles will be destroyed by his early 20s.

Euroleague
04-01-2013, 04:50 PM
It's not even about that. Noel's still going to be a top 3 pick, maybe even number 1. Short of something super weird, like getting shot in a robbery or something, injuries aren't really THAT big a risk anymore for future earnings. Especially since the advisers for most of these kids are smart enough to get them insurance.

WTF? Yeah sure, no NBA teams remember Greg Oden...................

Sarcastic
04-01-2013, 05:00 PM
Or he can blow out his knee like Nerlens Noel, or worse. You just never know.

Or he can snap his leg like Kevin Ware.

Dave3
04-01-2013, 06:31 PM
To further affirm Wiggins' rawness (and the incredible depth of this 2013 class), it's arguable he may not even be the best prospect during the first couple days from the McDonald's practices. He hasn't been the best player in terms of performance. From the mouth of college and NBA scouts.

Parker, Harrison twins, and Gordon are up there. Gordon might be the most impressive. Parker has been playing the best.

But you still hear that Wiggins has separated himself athletically from the field. Which is what most are betting on, paired with his already natural skill and decent feel for the game.

imo, Wiggins won't be the best freshman next year. He may not have the best stats in his first couple years in the league either. But then after that people will realize what he can, and probably will, become.

Gordon always looked good from highlights, but he's much lower on nbadraft.net's mock draft. I haven't seen him so I can't compare, so would you be able to share a little about his game?

I've seen Parker and Wiggins a bit, and Wiggins is more entertaining to watch but I thought Parker might be more effective (because he's bigger and has a jumper too), but I've never seen much of Aaron Gordon.

PS. if you could also share the articles where those scouts are talking about the players, that would be great.

BIZARRO
04-02-2013, 12:32 AM

In Chicago, going to the game on Wednesday. From everyone I talked to, and from what I've read, Jabari tore it up in practice.
Just separating himself as the complete player with supreme confidence.

http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/2013/04/01/jabari-parker-shines-as-mcdonalds-all-american-festivities-begin/

p.s. Watch out for the other current Chicago phenom next year, Jahlil Okafor, saw him play live and a few other times. Just unreal potential.

Living Being
04-02-2013, 05:44 AM
Mixtape sucked. 99% dunks. Only a few passes and blocks.