PDA

View Full Version : Is Deron Williams the worst "superstar" in the league?

TheMarkMadsen
12-25-2012, 03:30 PM
He looks awful out there, lost at times and seems to have no confidence in his game whatsoever.

I don't want to hear about the coaching considering this dude was the reason behind one of the GOAT coaches retirement.

Deron Williams is the worst player that is considered a superstar in the league. Fact or fiction?

FKAri
12-25-2012, 03:32 PM
Blake Griffin

Fudge
Fiction. He's not even a superstar.

truhooper
yes

Clutch
12-25-2012, 03:33 PM
This. At least not this year.

BG32-KD35
12-25-2012, 03:34 PM
Dwight Howard?

PP34Deuce
12-25-2012, 03:40 PM
He looks awful out there, lost at times and seems to have no confidence in his game whatsoever.

I don't want to hear about the coaching considering this dude was the reason behind one of the GOAT coaches retirement.

Deron Williams is the worst player that is considered a superstar in the league. Fact or fiction?

Personally I dont think he really wanted to stay in ny.

SpecialQue
12-25-2012, 03:43 PM
But general consensus here is that Deron >>>>>>>>>>> CP3??????

boxclever
12-25-2012, 03:45 PM
this

Dwight Howard?
this too

elementally morale
12-25-2012, 03:51 PM
To be a superstar you have to be a household name. The league has less than 5 superstars today. Deron is not one of them.

chains5000
12-25-2012, 03:52 PM
To be a superstar you have to be a household name. The league has less than 5 superstars today. Deron is not one of them.
Change "superstar" to "franchise player", what do you think?

Noob Saibot
12-25-2012, 03:52 PM
When was Williams ever a superstar? lol

FireDavidKahn
12-25-2012, 03:54 PM
Superstars are created by the media while franchise players are the actual best players in the league who can carry their teams. Williams is neither.

bdreason
12-25-2012, 03:58 PM
He's certainly not playing up to expectations.

konex
12-25-2012, 03:59 PM
He sure is playing like it..

LikeABosh
12-25-2012, 04:02 PM
Deron hasn't been a super star for 2+ years

elementally morale
12-25-2012, 04:15 PM
Change "superstar" to "franchise player", what do you think?

I was wrong about him. I thought he would turn out to be a franchise player. I'm not sure if he is the worst of the group but he sue is worse than I thought he would be. Still a very good player, probably a good second fiddle like Amare.

Purch
12-25-2012, 04:38 PM
Deron Williams was a "franchise player in Utah"... Why?.............................................. ..

Because we used him to his strengths.

ZenMaster
12-25-2012, 04:41 PM
Isn't he playing with injury?

ILLsmak
12-25-2012, 04:46 PM
I was wrong about him. I thought he would turn out to be a franchise player. I'm not sure if he is the worst of the group but he sue is worse than I thought he would be. Still a very good player, probably a good second fiddle like Amare.

No PG is a franchise player anymore. You notice that CP3 was "bad" when he was on NOH but then got good when he was on LAC. Some might attribute that to injuries, and maybe it's true. However, he was also good when he had good teammates around him on NOH.

The PGs that can be Franchise players are guys like Rose and Westbrook who most would argue are more "primary ballhandlers" than PGs. If you can't get 20-25 ppg, how can you be a franchise player; a PG needs options.

A franchise player would be someone you could stick on a bad team and he'd get them to the playoffs. It has to be terrible to be a good PG on a team of players who can't finish. Not saying Deron has that problem because he's got better players this year, but just saying in general.

-Smak

b1imtf
12-25-2012, 05:09 PM
Sick of hearing this

elementally morale
12-25-2012, 05:13 PM
No PG is a franchise player anymore. You notice that CP3 was "bad" when he was on NOH but then got good when he was on LAC. Some might attribute that to injuries, and maybe it's true. However, he was also good when he had good teammates around him on NOH.

The PGs that can be Franchise players are guys like Rose and Westbrook who most would argue are more "primary ballhandlers" than PGs. If you can't get 20-25 ppg, how can you be a franchise player; a PG needs options.

A franchise player would be someone you could stick on a bad team and he'd get them to the playoffs. It has to be terrible to be a good PG on a team of players who can't finish. Not saying Deron has that problem because he's got better players this year, but just saying in general.

-Smak

Nice post and I agree. I was thinking of something similar but I didn't post it in the end, because I just realized that none of these guys are as good as prime Nash, prime Kidd or prime Payton were. Not to speak of Isiah, Stockton and Magic.

So while I can see your point, these PGs are just really not as good as some of their predecessors were, who managed to become legitimate franchise players.

BTW, I think Rondo has the most chance of becoming a franchise player. Should learn how to shoot.

Kujo
12-25-2012, 05:16 PM
Things are about to get real ugly for DWill in NYC with the media, and fans, if they haven't already.

I'm at a loss at how bad he looks this year. He's getting exposed as a bad teammate, and coach killer as well (not saying Avery doesn't deserved to be fired. He's not a good coach). What so called super-star/elite PG calls himself a system player? :confusedshrug:

TheBigVeto
12-25-2012, 05:39 PM
But general consensus here is that Deron >>>>>>>>>>> CP3??????

He was. Until karma caught up on him.

ZenMaster
12-25-2012, 06:14 PM
Sick of hearing this

Yeah I know, it doesn't matter because you can't see or feel it right?

"Fkuck you Deron you have to play 100% even though you're injured."

It's real life, real players, real mucles and bones, it is not a video game.

heyhey
12-25-2012, 06:41 PM
he's been exposed so bad and that's karmic justice. this is a guy that did his coach dirty. Jerry sloan was invaluable to his development and performances. He didn't even realize how good he had it with Sloan calling the plays for him from the sidelines. Williams has bad bball iq and Sloan reigned him in from his worst predispositions

shootingcomets
12-25-2012, 06:46 PM
deron was only ever "good" due to system of sloan

El Kabong
12-25-2012, 07:25 PM
They reported at the start of the year he's got bone spurs in his ankles that will need to be operated on in the off-season.

jdm_dc_fan
12-25-2012, 07:30 PM
Injury or not. One thing is true, he is not a leader.

Lebron23
12-25-2012, 10:11 PM
I love to see Nets hire Jerry Sloan after they fire Avery Johnson. The Nets are a good team on papers they just needs a better coach and system. I agree with some of the posters who said that D-Will ain't a good leader.

tpols
12-25-2012, 10:15 PM
He fvcking sucks but at least he's not afraid to take it to the hole. Everyone else on the Nets besides him and Wallace is. Especially Joe Johnson.. Dude would rather shoot jumpers all day than go strong to the rack.

jdm_dc_fan
12-25-2012, 10:31 PM
He fvcking sucks but at least he's not afraid to take it to the hole. Everyone else on the Nets besides him and Wallace is. Especially Joe Johnson.. Dude would rather shoot jumpers all day than go strong to the rack.
This is expected from Joe before he signed his big contract. His role is clear, throw the ball up. Deron on the hand is doing the complete opposite. To be honest the only players I like on that team is Gerald, Blatch and stackhouse. Never liked JJ for some reason.

ClutchOver9000
12-25-2012, 10:47 PM
To be honest the only players I like on that team is Gerald, Blatch and stackhouse. Never liked JJ for some reason.

Well, the fact that he is the biggest challenger to Rose when it comes to who lacks the most personality....that might play a part.

Also doesnt help his case that he gives off a vibe that the NBA is nothing but a job to him. He doesn't even look like he enjoys playing ball...its weird.

I like Crash though.

jdm_dc_fan
12-25-2012, 11:50 PM
Well, the fact that he is the biggest challenger to Rose when it comes to who lacks the most personality....that might play a part.

Also doesnt help his case that he gives off a vibe that the NBA is nothing but a job to him. He doesn't even look like he enjoys playing ball...its weird.

I like Crash though.
I meant his style of game but I completely agree with the above. He reminds me of a jeff green type player except Jeff actually likes to penetrate and looks to post up.

ClutchOver9000
12-26-2012, 12:05 AM
I meant his style of game but I completely agree with the above. He reminds me of a jeff green type player except Jeff actually likes to penetrate and looks to post up.

Yea, style-wise I could see it (more in the way they move if you ask me). JJ's much more iso-heavy than Green though.

My problem w/ him is his demeanor. He looks like he couldnt give a fvck that he's getting paid millions to play ball.

StateOfMind12
12-26-2012, 12:09 AM
How can you be the worst superstar, when you aren't even a superstar?

plUto or bUst
12-26-2012, 12:46 AM
Deron williams got 100 million. You think he gives a shit anymore?

jdm_dc_fan
12-26-2012, 12:50 AM
My problem w/ him is his demeanor. He looks like he couldnt give a fvck that he's getting paid millions to play ball.
That sentence on its own could be describing Green or JJ. :roll:

jdm_dc_fan
12-26-2012, 12:56 AM
Deron williams got 100 million. You think he gives a shit anymore?
I am gonna put this in perspective for nets fans. Deron makes $45,000,000.00 million MORE than Rondo in their 5 year contracts. What can be done with that extra $45 million? you chose. :facepalm

Heavincent
12-26-2012, 01:11 AM
Deron Williams hasn't given two shits since coming to the Nets.

gigantes
12-26-2012, 05:17 AM
apparently deron is only a "superstar" in the flex offense. so he's like he-man without his sword of power.

the whole 'arrive in brooklyn with a bang' thing is blowing up in the nets faces. instead of rebuilding the right way, they grabbed a bunch of high-priced parts, failed to do their due diligence on williams (even failed to do it across his extended audition with them), and now they're stuck with this ill-constructed, overpriced starting lineup for years to come.

plenty of blame to go around, but a lot of it has to go on prokhorov at this point. he's the guy with the huge wallet and who came in with the "we need to win a championship in five years" mentality. he's obviously not a hands-on disaster like dolan or a manipulative cheapskate like sterling- in fact he's close to being an ideal owner. but his early mandate of overaggression has wound up sabotaging most of the positives he had brought to the table.

now we're the knicks from a couple years ago without a jason kidd and/or tyson chandler to lead us. actually we're not even fun to watch, like they were.

SyRyanYang
12-26-2012, 05:39 AM
I am gonna put this in perspective for nets fans. Deron makes $45,000,000.00 million MORE than Rondo in their 5 year contracts. What can be done with that extra $45 million? you chose. :facepalm
THAT'S LIKE 45 TRILLION.
:facepalm

SyRyanYang
12-26-2012, 05:41 AM
apparently deron is only a "superstar" in the flex offense. so he's like he-man without his sword of power.

the whole 'arrive in brooklyn with a bang' thing is blowing up in the nets faces. instead of rebuilding the right way, they grabbed a bunch of high-priced parts, failed to do their due diligence on williams (even failed to do it across his extended audition with them), and now they're stuck with this ill-constructed, overpriced starting lineup for years to come.

plenty of blame to go around, but a lot of it has to go on prokhorov at this point. he's the guy with the huge wallet and who came in with the "we need to win a championship in five years" mentality. he's obviously not a hands-on disaster like dolan or a manipulative cheapskate like sterling- in fact he's close to being an ideal owner. but his early mandate of overaggression has wound up sabotaging most of the positives he had brought to the table.

now we're the knicks from a couple years ago without a jason kidd and/or tyson chandler to lead us. actually we're not even fun to watch, like they were.

Nice post but this would be a whole different situation if Deron's been playing up to his standard.

gigantes
12-26-2012, 05:45 AM
Nice post but this would be a whole different situation if Deron's been playing up to his standard.
only superficially. all the other flaws would still be lurking just below the surface, ready to raise their heads as soon as the games mattered, like late in the season.

hump's one-dimensionality, lopez' softness, weak team defense, poor variety of offensive sets, mediocre coaching, little or no cap room, mediocre draft picks.... that's just off the top. take your pick.

gigantes
12-27-2012, 10:00 AM
[quote][u]"Bucks 108, Nets 93, and I

Rubio2Gasol
12-27-2012, 10:46 AM
THAT'S LIKE 45 TRILLION.
:facepalm

No it isn't.

Note the period before the final two zeros.

Pinkhearts
12-27-2012, 12:15 PM
No it isn't.

LOL. Someone get this guy back to grade school

gigantes
12-27-2012, 12:20 PM
No it isn't.

not sure how they do it where you're from, but here in the US, the quantity by number is always multiplied by the quantity by name. for example:

672 thousand = 672 x 1,000 = 672,000

or

45,000,000 million = 45,000,000 x 1,000,000 = 45,000,000,000,000 = 45 trillion

sy ryan yang was correct that what you wrote reads as 45 trillion here in the states.

Theoo
12-27-2012, 12:32 PM
not sure how they do it where you're from, but here in the US, the quantity by number is always multiplied by the quantity by name. for example:

672 thousand = 672 x 1,000 = 672,000

or

45,000,000 million = 45,000,000 x 1,000,000 = 45,000,000,000,000 = 45 trillion

sy ryan yang was correct that what you wrote reads as 45 trillion here in the states.
i think he meaned 45 million more not 45 million * million more men :facepalm:

gigantes
12-27-2012, 12:36 PM
i think he meaned 45 million more not 45 million * million more men :facepalm:
well, duh.

the reason i wrote that is because he didn't seem to understand what the other poster was saying.

Mr. Jabbar
12-27-2012, 12:38 PM
Dwight/Deron

pnyozzzoo
12-27-2012, 12:41 PM
Dwight/Deron
Dwight is not that bad, his not 100% and his defensive impact is still huge. Lakers want to have Love this year? as of now no 3,no defense, bad attitude and also not 100%

Himan12
12-27-2012, 12:52 PM
Never considered him a superstar. I always thought of him as a star player just below that elite tier.

Superstars: Lbj, durant, kobe, rose... ect ect
Elite: rondo, westbrooke, paul, wade, duncan...ect ect
Stars: dwill among others

This is just an example of an incomplete rankings list of where I feel he belongs.

fpliii
12-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Never considered him a superstar. I always thought of him as a star player just below that elite tier.

This is just an example of an incomplete rankings list of where I feel he belongs.

hmmmmmm

Bigsmoke
12-27-2012, 01:05 PM
CP3, Rondo, and Westbrook are the only PGs that i think that are better. "Rose haven't played a game yet this season"

being a top 5 PG in a league with many great PG is a honor itself.

kNIOKAS
12-27-2012, 01:07 PM

I need negs back so you could ****ing serve for what you just said

Himan12
12-27-2012, 01:12 PM
hmmmmmm

I know rose is injured but I always felt he had a much greater impact in transforming his team into an elite team more-so than the other 2 (I'm also considering the fact that if the other 2 were the main guys for the bulls that they wouldnt be as good as d.rose has been). Also cant be helped that wade has lost a step (injuries) and that I think rose has closed the gap in the intangibles that paul brings that always made him perceived as the better player.

Himan12
12-27-2012, 01:15 PM
I need negs back so you could ****ing serve for what you just said

Uh-oh. :oldlol:

I honestly thought those rankings were fine.

SilkkTheShocker
12-27-2012, 01:19 PM
Hilarious how much this board was pro Deron >>> CP3 until about a year ago :lol But this is also the same place where there are people that still think Wall>>>>Irving

gigantes
12-27-2012, 02:01 PM
Hilarious how much this board was pro Deron >>> CP3 until about a year ago :lol But this is also the same place where there are people that still think Wall>>>>Irving
scary thing is that they may have been right, going by history.

a healthy deron williams in sloan's flex offense may well have edged CP3 as the better overall player .

not sure who this guy is that we have now on the nets, but he's clearly not that person. "deron marbury the hamburgler" is what some nets fans are now calling him.

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/1951/226391-hamburglar.jpg

fpliii
12-27-2012, 02:02 PM
scary thing is that they may have been right, going by history.

a healthy deron williams in sloan's flex offense may well have edged CP3 as the better overall player .

not sure who this guy is that we have now on the nets, but he's clearly not that person. "deron marbury the hamburgler" is what some nets fans are now calling him.

wow...

gigantes
12-27-2012, 02:24 PM
wow...
so let me guess... in your eyes, i'm out on an extreme limb in batshit crazy-ville, saying something no national writer or well-respected basketball guy ever said before...?