PDA

View Full Version : Playing with NBA official game ball

alwaysunny
11-14-2012, 08:55 PM
http://www.jumpusa.com/spalding_nbaball_hires.jpg

Am I the only one who doesn't like playing with this ball? It feels hard on hand, especially when catching a hard pass. Feels fake..almost like a rubber. Composite leather feels much more leathery and rich. Can't play with it outdoors, making it not versatile at all. While it has excellent grip, it eventually wears out as it gets old. You would think an authentic ball has great durability, but then again maybe not since the league has unlimited amount of new balls to play with.

Really poor value for money if you ask me.

TheBigVeto
11-14-2012, 09:01 PM
You are not a pro player. That's why.

AlonzoGOAT
11-14-2012, 09:03 PM
Kwame that you?

Money 23
11-14-2012, 09:08 PM
A real leather NBA ball is fantastic.

When I was young I hated it, my hands were small and it didn't feel right compared to the composite balls I usually played with in middle school and HS.

But I love my real leather ball. I love the way it feels when you sweat, and the grip becomes SOOO much better. Takes some getting used to ... real leather balls are hard to come by now.

I got mine in 1996 and it was $80, now with all the leather restrictions, I wonder what they cost.

When you break in a REAL leather NBA ball, and get used to it ... there is NOTHING better. That's why the players HATED the composite ball in 2007 they experimented with ... plus it bounces off the rim better and has more touch on glass.

alwaysunny
11-14-2012, 09:09 PM
Kwame that you?

Kwame has small hands period. Playing with different balls won't help in his case.

Money 23
11-14-2012, 09:14 PM
Kwame has small hands period. Playing with different balls won't help in his case.
Not true. Composite balls are more rubbery, puffy, and easier to grip.

Sometimes they are too easy to grip.

SHAQisGOAT
11-14-2012, 09:30 PM
To play in the gym it's the best thing

b1imtf
11-14-2012, 09:32 PM
No homo

pauk
11-14-2012, 09:36 PM
Maybe you are just not used to it yet....

Sooner or later you will realise it has the perfect grip and comfort on that leather especially when you get a bit sweaty, basketballs more "leathery" are more slippery (not better for ballhandling and even shooting) and the rubber and many other composite ones just makes my hands/fingertips sore from all the friction, something i/we have to learn to live with because they are better for outdoor balling...

The seams on the NBA ball make it even more comfortable, they are perfectly designed & aligned with the ball and are depressed/pocketed inside on a perfect level... other "wannabe" NBA balls have either weird rubber seams (quality/design) or seams that just are way to depressed inside (very uncomfortable on the fingertips, i even got a cut on my index finger from such a ball where the seams meet the leather/composite because it wasnt aligned well with the leather/rubber combined with the very deep depression).

KungFuJoe
11-14-2012, 09:39 PM
NBA genuine leather ball = best in the gym (duh)

At the park, I actually like the ones that get beat up and all fuzzy, for some reason. I seem to have the best overall grip with those.

The cheap rubber balls are great for handles and layups cuz I can palm them easily but I can't shoot a jumper for shit cuz it "sticks" to my hand on release.

alwaysunny
11-14-2012, 09:45 PM
I did notice the grip increased with sweat, which I thought was cool. Other than that the overall feel was meh.

And when I say the material feels too hard I don't mean as a ***** kind of way like it hurts my hand. It's just that my idea of a real leather ball was nothing like I imagined. Like I said it feels closer to rubber than leather, like a high quality version of those $10 rubber balls at walmart rather than a direct upgrade from a composite ball. I can't see how that's a good thing.

NCAA use composite leather too. There must be a reason for it.

dbk123
11-14-2012, 09:47 PM
Was considering buying one but i think its like $150+. please tell me if thats wrong, id really like to get one but i have like 3 basketballs already and dont feel like spending that much

alwaysunny
11-14-2012, 09:48 PM
and pauk I think you're being way too analytical :lol. But nice to hear from someone who regularly plays with real leather ball.

pauk
11-14-2012, 09:48 PM
I did notice the grip increased with sweat, which I thought was cool. Other than that the overall feel was meh.

And when I say the material feels too hard I don't mean as a ***** kind of way like it hurts my hand. It's just that my idea of a real leather ball was nothing like I imagined. Like I said it feels closer to rubber than leather, like a high quality version of those $10 rubber balls at walmart rather than a direct upgrade from a composite ball. I can't see how that's a good thing.

NCAA use composite leather too. There must be a reason for it.

Whatever makes you put the ball in the hole the best man! :)

alwaysunny
11-14-2012, 10:09 PM
Was considering buying one but i think its like $150+. please tell me if thats wrong, id really like to get one but i have like 3 basketballs already and dont feel like spending that much

Any price is justifiable if you feel it's worth it to you. I actually considered buying one, but obviously had a change of mind after being disappointed with it. That's why I posted this here, but only like 2 people have actually played with it to give any kind of opinions.

Timmy D for MVP
11-14-2012, 11:13 PM
A little bit off topic, but somehow one of the coached at the JC I used to go to got his hands on some of the balls they switched in the NBA to a while back that everyone hated and then switched away from. He brought them to the basketball classes to be used and we ended up just bringing in our own.

The turnover rate went through the roof. It was funny.