PDA

View Full Version : Who are the 4 Mount Rushmore representatives in nba history?

kennethgriffin
11-08-2012, 04:44 AM
i think they have to be the most dominant, popular, respected players from the most influential era's of basketball

50's and 70's werent really great, 2010's is only 3 years old

i would say in terms of importance and popularity

#1 90's - michael jordan
#2 80's - magic johnson
#3 00's - kobe bryant
#4 60's - bill russell

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa280/cashforcards/gerwgrew.png

bdreason
11-08-2012, 04:50 AM
Russell
Magic
Bird
MJ

Jakeh008
11-08-2012, 04:51 AM
Jordan
Magic
Wilt
Russell

TheBigVeto
11-08-2012, 04:57 AM
i think they have to be the most dominant, popular, respected players from the most influential era's of basketball

#1 90's - michael jordan
#2 80's - magic johnson
#3 00's - kobe bryant
#4 60's - bill russell

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa280/cashforcards/gerwgrew.png

No white player = fail
Kobe = double FAIL

Umad101
11-08-2012, 04:59 AM
:coleman:

#1 90's - michael jordan
#2 80's - magic johnson
#3 00's - kobe bryant
#4 60's - bill russell

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa280/cashforcards/gerwgrew.pnglol at Russell overrated ass being there

dbk123
11-08-2012, 05:11 AM
http://i.imgur.com/Ua3CL.png

kennethgriffin
11-08-2012, 05:15 AM
No white player = fail
Kobe = double FAIL
im white and even i'l admit birds white skin is worth 2 more championships in most re*tards eyes

and i think kobe diserves to be there

hes the 2nd or 3rd most popular player ever behind only jordan and maybe magic

hes the 5th or 6th best player period of all time

hes the #1 player of the 3rd most popular era

I<3NBA
11-08-2012, 05:19 AM
@Kobe :yaohappy:

Derivative
11-08-2012, 05:24 AM
michael jordan
magic johnson
bill russell
lebron james (once he retires with 5 championships)

kennethgriffin
11-08-2012, 05:25 AM
@Kobe :yaohappy:

:confusedshrug:

first names that come to mind by the majority of people around the world

#1 MJ
#2 kobe

i'l bet any amount of money kobe is the 2nd biggest house hold name of all time

some hardcore fans only think with per lol... theres more to ranking all time status and impact

Derivative
11-08-2012, 05:27 AM

#1 MJ
#2 kobe

some hardcore fans only think with per lol... theres more to ranking all time status and impact

kobe is probably the second most popular player in nba history after MJ....
but that doesn't mean he's the second greatest.... hes going to be borderline 10th greatest once lebron and durant finish their careers.

plowking
11-08-2012, 05:29 AM
How is Magic making it over Bird on some of your lists? Bird was considered the best player of his time. He was getting GOAT talks while actually playing.

eliteballer
11-08-2012, 05:32 AM
How is Magic making it over Bird on some of your lists? Bird was considered the best player of his time. He was getting GOAT talks while actually playing.

Magic was 3 years younger than Bird and outplayed Peak Bird in 2 out of 3 Finals, thats how. Bird getting media recognition being a white superstar on the East Coast doesnt change that.

plowking
11-08-2012, 05:46 AM
Magic was 3 years younger than Bird and outplayed Peak Bird in 2 out of 3 Finals, thats how. Bird getting media recognition being a white superstar on the East Coast doesnt change that.

He outplayed him in 1, the other was close, probably equal.

And if he did? Deron outplays Paul for the most part. No one considers him better. Bird was the better player, more of a game changer and had more impact.

eliteballer
11-08-2012, 05:50 AM
He outplayed him in 1, the other was close, probably equal.

And if he did? Deron outplays Paul for the most part. No one considers him better. Bird was the better player, more of a game changer and had more impact.

Magic outplayed him in 85 and 87 by a CLEAR margin, and his numbers obliterated Birds in 84 even when they called him Tragic. Magic was more versatile(6-9 PG with handles who could play all 5) and a tougher matchup. Led the L in steals. More of the "engine" and identity of the team. 3 years younger and a superstar off the bat.

I forgot all those games they televised in Australia in the 80's......:rolleyes:

NumberSix
11-08-2012, 05:50 AM
im white and even i'l admit birds white skin is worth 2 more championships in most re*tards eyes

and i think kobe diserves to be there

hes the 2nd or 3rd most popular player ever behind only jordan and maybe magic

hes the 5th or 6th best player period of all time

hes the #1 player of the 3rd most popular era
Yet, there are only 4 spots and he has 1? :confusedshrug:

Shepseskaf
11-08-2012, 05:51 AM
MJ
Kareem
Magic
Wilt

LastEpisode
11-08-2012, 06:17 AM
Jordan and Kareem are a lock.. Bird can't be there, I'm sorry but he will forever be remembered as Magic's rival, like Frazier to Ali..

scandisk_
11-08-2012, 06:27 AM
http://www.exgeeinteractive.com/immortal-6.jpg

4? nah,

THE IMMORTAL 6!

BoutPractice
11-08-2012, 10:12 AM
4 is not enough.
Russell, Wilt, Magic and Jordan are locks, but leaving out Kareem (or Bird for that matter) just seems weird.

Faptastrophe
11-08-2012, 10:19 AM

#1 MJ
#2 kobe

This isn't true though. People who even don't know a thing about basketball could name MJ and Shaq. Big chunk of people don't even know who Kobe is.
I'm talking about 'around the world part' of your statement.

guy
11-08-2012, 10:25 AM
Jordan and Kareem are a lock.. Bird can't be there, I'm sorry but he will forever be remembered as Magic's rival, like Frazier to Ali..

Is Kareem? Not sure about that. Out of the greatest players ever, he was most probably the most boring of them all, and at his prime/peak the league was in a dark time. I'm not sure he'd go there. I'd probably say Russell, Wilt, Magic, Jordan. The Russell/Wilt rivalry, Magic/Bird rivalry, and Jordan in general are probably the 3 most iconic chapters in NBA history. Unfortunately, one has to go and I'll just say Bird since a good chunk of his career wasn't that significant cause of injury and as far as basketball themes go, him and Magic are much more similar then Wilt and Russell are who represent two distinct themes in dominant, statistical, individual play vs. unselfish, intangible, team play. Of course, no way you can leave Jordan out.

Yung D-Will
11-08-2012, 10:27 AM

4? nah,

THE IMMORTAL 6!

No BS.

This would be it.

Those 6 had the biggest impact on the brand the Nba is today

plowking
11-08-2012, 10:44 AM
Magic outplayed him in 85 and 87 by a CLEAR margin, and his numbers obliterated Birds in 84 even when they called him Tragic. Magic was more versatile(6-9 PG with handles who could play all 5) and a tougher matchup. Led the L in steals. More of the "engine" and identity of the team. 3 years younger and a superstar off the bat.

I forgot all those games they televised in Australia in the 80's......:rolleyes:

Who said my family or I were in Australia in the 80's? We weren't. Nice try. Furthermore, I'd love for you to prove they weren't airing a lot of games even if I was in Australia... :oldlol:

No, his numbers didn't. Why take you seriously when you're talking a whole bunch of shit?
When did 18/14/7 somehow obliterate 27/14/4?

pauk
11-08-2012, 11:01 AM
Hehe Kenneth... Kobe...

Anyways:

Jordan is obligatory
Bird or Magic
Wilt or Mikan or Kareem
Russell is obligatory

KOBE143
11-08-2012, 12:22 PM
These 4 GOAT..

MJ - GOAT SG
KAJ - GOAT center
Magic - GOAT PG
Kobe - GOAT player

MichaelCheazley
11-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Naismith, Auerbach,Jordan, A basketball

stallionaire
11-08-2012, 12:26 PM
The 4 true ambassadors to the game:

Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, and Wilt Chamberlain

kennethgriffin
11-08-2012, 12:38 PM
No BS.

This would be it.

Those 6 had the biggest impact on the brand the Nba is today

kobes had double the impact on the world of basketball than kareem, wilt and russell

the nba wasnt even popular in the 60s and 70s

only the 90's and 80s beats the 00's. and kareem might not even a top 3 player for that decade. magic, bird and moses were the big 3

its arguable

stallionaire
11-08-2012, 12:39 PM
LEbron is better than kobe so lebron should be there if anything

Beatlezz
11-08-2012, 12:54 PM
kobes had double the impact on the world of basketball than kareem, wilt and russell

the nba wasnt even popular in the 60s and 70s

only the 90's and 80s beats the 00's. and kareem might not even a top 3 player for that decade. magic, bird and moses were the big 3

its arguable

:biggums:

You just went full retard, man. Never go full retard.

Shepseskaf
11-08-2012, 12:54 PM
Kobe would not be on any all-time list that only included four players. Point blank.

And an excuse for leaving Kareem out is that he's "boring"? smh

Kareem is the greatest center of all-time, the league's leading scorer, and is a 6-time MVP winner. If he isn't on this hypothetical Mount Rushmore, then the whole thing is a joke.

rodman91
11-08-2012, 01:40 PM
If we are gonna choose someone from 00's, Duncan deserves most to be in there. He won 4 championship and 3 FMVP, great winning % as go to guy without any superstar level player. He did it all in San Antonio, not Los Angeles.

no pun intended
11-08-2012, 01:48 PM
Anyone considering Jerry West?

Whoah10115
11-08-2012, 01:58 PM
Russell
Magic
Bird
MJ

This guy is correct. I'm not gonna say no argument, because of Wilt and Kareem...but it has to be these guys.

Bird and Magic saved the league and then Jordan...I have this poster (actually broke) with all the great players (over 50) and the centerpiece of it is Michael, Magic, Larry.

Add that Russell won 11 rings as the epitome of what a teammate, competitor, and leader one should be...seems obvious.

Whoah10115
11-08-2012, 01:59 PM
Anyone considering Jerry West?

Just brand the mountain.

guy
11-08-2012, 02:10 PM
Kobe would not be on any all-time list that only included four players. Point blank.

And an excuse for leaving Kareem out is that he's "boring"? smh

Kareem is the greatest center of all-time, the league's leading scorer, and is a 6-time MVP winner. If he isn't on this hypothetical Mount Rushmore, then the whole thing is a joke.

I assume this is referring to my post. Its not a joke if the 4 other players are Russell, Wilt, Magic, and Jordan. Calling him the most boring is mainly in reference to him being the face of the league during what most consider the worst time ever for the NBA. I just think as far as the success of the league goes, if the league had to erase one player from the top 10 or so players ever from its history Kareem would picked before the 4 I mentioned and probably some other players as well.

Shepseskaf
11-08-2012, 02:57 PM
I assume this is referring to my post. Its not a joke if the 4 other players are Russell, Wilt, Magic, and Jordan. Calling him the most boring is mainly in reference to him being the face of the league during what most consider the worst time ever for the NBA. I just think as far as the success of the league goes, if the league had to erase one player from the top 10 or so players ever from its history Kareem would picked before the 4 I mentioned and probably some other players as well.
I can safely say that the league will never feel the need to "erase" its leading scorer, most prolific MVP winner, and perhaps the best player in its history.

The era when Kareem played has absolutely nothing to do with his skills and accomplishments. He is the biggest winner at all levels in the history of the sport. In my view, he and MJ are 1a. and 1b. in terms of GOAT consideration.

So, no he shouldn't be left out of the a list of the top 4. I'd exclude Russell instead, because Kareem was clearly a far better player.

Pushxx
11-08-2012, 03:38 PM
Has to start with MJ, Bird, and Magic.

The fourth is a toss-up between Wilt and Russell.

Those 5 contributed most to the National Basketball Assocation legend as a whole.

Rysio
11-08-2012, 03:43 PM
If we are gonna choose someone from 00's, Duncan deserves most to be in there. He won 4 championship and 3 FMVP, great winning % as go to guy without any superstar level player. He did it all in San Antonio, not Los Angeles.
lol no. the guy with the most championships and most 40,50,60 point games and most clutch shots of all time deserves it much more.

crisoner
11-08-2012, 03:47 PM

4? nah,

THE IMMORTAL 6!

I would go with this!

andgar923
11-08-2012, 04:12 PM
Honestly speaking, it doesn't necessarily have to be a list of the 'best' players per se, but those that were also the most significant historically speaking.

If we were to consider that as an option then something like this:

Mikan
Red (or Russell)
MJ
Magic/Bird

Mikan helped carry the league in its infancy, and a great player at that.
Red or Russell for the obvious reasons

nightprowler10
11-08-2012, 04:21 PM
[QUOTE=andgar923]Honestly speaking, it doesn't necessarily have to be a list of the 'best' players per se, but those that were also the most significant historically speaking.

If we were to consider that as an option then something like this:

Mikan
Red (or Russell)
MJ
Magic/Bird

Mikan helped carry the league in its infancy, and a great player at that.
Red or Russell for the obvious reasons

WillC
11-08-2012, 04:30 PM
Here you go:

http://basketballjournalist.blogspot.co.uk/

TheMan
11-08-2012, 04:36 PM
These 4 GOAT..

MJ - GOAT SG
KAJ - GOAT center
Magic - GOAT PG
Kobe - GOAT player
:roll:

SHAQisGOAT
11-08-2012, 04:38 PM
MJ, Bird, Magic gotta be in

Then tossup between Kareem, Russ and Wilt.

In recent times you could have Shaq, Kobe, Timmy and Lebron or something.

guy
11-08-2012, 04:42 PM
I can safely say that the league will never feel the need to "erase" its leading scorer, most prolific MVP winner, and perhaps the best player in its history.

The era when Kareem played has absolutely nothing to do with his skills and accomplishments. He is the biggest winner at all levels in the history of the sport. In my view, he and MJ are 1a. and 1b. in terms of GOAT consideration.

So, no he shouldn't be left out of the a list of the top 4. I'd exclude Russell instead, because Kareem was clearly a far better player.

I know they won't. I just said that for comparison's sake.

This isn't about top 4 or not. It has more to do with their iconic status and what they've meant to the game. This isn't me saying he isn't an icon or hasn't mean anything to the game. I just think the other 4 have a better case for that.

TheMan
11-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Here you go:

http://basketballjournalist.blogspot.co.uk/
:applause:

I was gonna add Dr J's name in this thread since nobody mentioned him before.

I don't know if I would put him in my top 4 spots but he def should be at the very least mentioned.

Micku
11-08-2012, 04:52 PM
It seems wrong just to have 4 players. Dr. J also had a great impact on basketball with his highlights dunks and brought a bit of street ball to professional basketball.
But if we are going with the biggest impact then:

MJ-Must have because he expanded the popularity of the NBA.
Magic/Bird - You probably need both since they both did save the NBA and the faces of the 80s.
Russell/Wilt-One of these two. But seems weird just to pick one similar to Magic/Bird.

But you have Red, Mikan, Kareem, West and Dr. J who contributed a lot to the game.

Out of the 00s though, it would have to be Kobe, Iverson (early 00s), Lebron, and maybe Shaq.