PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Flynn Signs With Melbourne Tigers

Xover
11-05-2012, 01:33 AM
Welcome to our Australian National Basketball League, where half the nation is unaware that we even have a league

Droid101
11-05-2012, 01:35 AM
Grats mate!

Suckafree
11-05-2012, 01:39 AM
Still not enough to get past the Breakers:rockon:

d.bball.guy
11-05-2012, 01:40 AM
http://i.imgur.com/TH8ap.png

Meticode
11-05-2012, 01:40 AM
Makes no sense to me. The Cavaliers wanted to sign him, he was one of the main players they wanted during the off-season. I wonder what happened.

kurt_rambis
11-05-2012, 01:48 AM
:oldlol:

raprap
11-05-2012, 01:49 AM
:cheers: :banana: :banana:

plowking
11-05-2012, 01:51 AM
I might actually go watch an NBL game now...

But seriously, why? He seems like hes still got a lot of talent... Seems like a waste.

SevereUpInHere
11-05-2012, 02:00 AM
I might actually go watch an NBL game now...

But seriously, why? He seems like hes still got a lot of talent... Seems like a waste.

We've just got a brand new stadium in the city so I'm definitely going to go to some games this year. The last stadium was a shit to get to.

Guess I'll have to support the Wildcats since the Canberra Canons aren't in the league anymore :oldlol:

I saw this on the news website this morning and was quite surprised that an NBA team hadn't at least given him a shot. I'm sure the vet min in the NBA is more than he'll earn here. Anyone know what he'll get paid?

RRR3
11-05-2012, 02:04 AM
Still not enough to get past the Breakers:rockon:
??

IGotACoolStory
11-05-2012, 02:04 AM
Is he that talented? He's greatly undersized and because of his injuries, he's no where near the athlete he once was. Undersized PGs who are average athletes don't last in the NBA unless you have at least one elite skill. He doesn't.

flipogb
11-05-2012, 02:07 AM
damn, isn't the league in Australia really awful?

plowking
11-05-2012, 02:12 AM
damn, isn't the league in Australia really awful?

To put it into perspective, I got called to try out for the reserves team after not playing a whole year, and I knocked back the offer.

So yeah... its quite terrible.

fsvr54
11-05-2012, 02:17 AM
To put it into perspective, I got called to try out for the reserves team after not playing a whole year, and I knocked back the offer.

So yeah... its quite terrible.

Why in the world would you turn down professional basketball?

LebronairJAMES
11-05-2012, 02:17 AM
The NBL where theres no dunks, great passes or any sort of highlights!

plowking
11-05-2012, 02:20 AM
Why in the world would you turn down professional basketball?

It was the reserves side, and if you made it, you'd usually just sit on a bench, and I doubt its paid that well.

Plus I have a whole bunch of friends I played with that are all over the league, and it just doesn't seem worth it. Lack of funds in the league, and a general lack of talent.

Scal
11-05-2012, 02:20 AM
The NBL where theres no dunks, great passes or any sort of highlights!

Any normal dunk that is performed in the NBA every few minutes is a potential highlight of the year!

Can't believe the dude couldn't even make some shitty Euroleague team.

AK47DR91
11-05-2012, 02:22 AM
Is he that talented? He's greatly undersized and because of his injuries, he's no where near the athlete he once was. Undersized PGs who are average athletes don't last in the NBA unless you have at least one elite skill. He doesn't.
He came from the Syracuse system. They don't translate well in the NBA. Only a rare few have had NBA success.

kurt_rambis
11-05-2012, 02:34 AM
hey if the NBL doesn't work out, there's always the AFL! they're really making an effort to sign basketball players for some reason

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0h-olY09IgQ#t=87s

fsvr54
11-05-2012, 02:36 AM
Sounds like Flynn will easily become the MJ of the Australian League.

coin24
11-05-2012, 02:42 AM
Is he playing for 50k a season?:lol :lol
Cause there is no money in that piece of shit league. Nbl is the joke of Australian sports..

Suckafree
11-05-2012, 02:55 AM
??

The only New Zealand team in the comp. They're currently going for a threepeat.

FKAri
11-05-2012, 03:16 AM
Johnny Flynn will be making less money than me this year. Well that makes me feel better about myself...and sorry for Johnny Flynn.

Suckafree
11-05-2012, 03:28 AM
Johnny Flynn will be making less money than me this year. Well that makes me feel better about myself...and sorry for Johnny Flynn.

You must make alot.
I believe Mark Worthington made around 150-200K last year so i'd Imagine Johnny Flynn would be around the same type of income bracket

Walker
11-05-2012, 04:54 AM
Players don't come to Australia for the money. They come cause it's the closest country in the world in terms of lifestyle to the States. That and they can usually dominate and be the main man here.

eriX
11-05-2012, 05:09 AM
Players don't come to Australia for the money. They come cause it's the closest country in the world in terms of lifestyle to the States. That and they can usually dominate and be the main man here.

I dont believe the states have as much lebos and lads as we do here in australia :O

Unforgiven
11-05-2012, 05:57 AM
Might have to go down and watch the tigers this friday if Flynn is playing, would be interesting to see how he goes.

Good for the NBL, even though it's pretty crap.

webberz0044
11-05-2012, 06:48 AM
NBL used to be decent enough but most our top players have gone to play in Europe for the money.

El Kabong
11-05-2012, 07:21 AM
hey if the NBL doesn't work out, there's always the AFL! they're really making an effort to sign basketball players for some reason

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0h-olY09IgQ#t=87s
You gotta be over 200cm to be a basketball convert. They just want tall blokes with good hands that can ruck and take a pack mark.

I watched the Tigers a few weeks ago against Townsville where both teams scored in the 60's. It was terrible.

bagelred
11-05-2012, 08:38 AM
It's pronounced "Mel-bin", not Mel-bourne....am I right Australians?

Euroleague
11-05-2012, 08:51 AM

NBL is still a hell of a lot better than the Chinese Basketball Association in level.

B-Easy8
11-05-2012, 09:06 AM
We've just got a brand new stadium in the city so I'm definitely going to go to some games this year. The last stadium was a shit to get to.

Guess I'll have to support the Wildcats since the Canberra Canons aren't in the league anymore :oldlol:

I saw this on the news website this morning and was quite surprised that an NBA team hadn't at least given him a shot. I'm sure the vet min in the NBA is more than he'll earn here. Anyone know what he'll get paid?

I think its more the lifestyle than anything, he gets to play in one of the best cities in the world.

I know Kevin Lisch of the Wildcats gets payed only a couple hundred thousand but they also bought him a car and a house on the beach in scarborough. He said he got a big contract offer in Europe but turned it down to stay in Perth.

People love to criticise the NBL but I find it really entertaining. They are still really skilled but the athleticism just isn't there. The passing and team work is really good and there are basically no stops compared to the NBA. It's nothing on the NBA but like Euroleague said its 10 times better than the CBA. The Wildcats beat 2 of the Chinese teams by 40 points in preseason without 4 of their starting 5 playing.

B-Easy8
11-05-2012, 09:21 AM

Aside from Kevin Lisch who is about to become an Australian citizen tell me 1 American player who dominates this league?

Most of the American players that come over here are pretty garbage. Cedric Jackson is the only other American I can think of that is any good.

miller-time
11-05-2012, 09:27 AM
It's pronounced "Mel-bin", not Mel-bourne....am I right Australians?

yeah melbin. it sounds weird when people say mel-bourne.

swi7ch
11-05-2012, 10:38 AM
So he's not even good enough for the Euroleague? :oldlol:

swi7ch
11-05-2012, 10:39 AM
yeah melbin. it sounds weird when people say mel-bourne.
Today I learned something on ISH! :applause:

Euroleague
11-05-2012, 11:01 AM
So he's not even good enough for the Euroleague? :oldlol:

He's good enough for NBA or Euroleague, but he's probably got a bad rep in NBA now. As for Euroleague, they expect results and the coaches are really demanding. Euroleague teams are not going to sign a guy that has barely played in several years.

But he might get a contract if he does well in Australia, then moves to a second tier European league and does well there too.

But Euroleague teams don't just sign a guy because he played in the NBA. Numerous players have come from the NBA and been absolute trash in Euroleague. It's happened so many times, that Euroleague teams have really become extremely picky about what NBA players they are interested in.

NBL isn't a bad option for him. If he has a good season there, then he can probably move to a Eurocup or ACB club.

Grinder
11-05-2012, 11:02 AM
Aside from Kevin Lisch who is about to become an Australian citizen tell me 1 American player who dominates this league?

Most of the American players that come over here are pretty garbage. Cedric Jackson is the only other American I can think of that is any good.

Off the top of my head I remember Julius Hodge averaged something like 26 points per game in one his seasons in the NBL and then big numbers again when he was in Melbourne.

B-Easy8
11-05-2012, 11:12 AM
Off the top of my head I remember Julius Hodge averaged something like 26 points per game in one his seasons in the NBL and then big numbers again when he was in Melbourne.

He was good and dominated at the start of the season but when teams realised that he couldnt shoot he really started to struggle and his team didn't even make the playoffs. He also hasn't played here for 3 years now.

NickTheQuick31
11-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Yeah Hodge was virtually a triple double maching while playing with Adelaide. His stint with the Melbourne Tigers was not as successful as he played with a broken bone in his hand for most of the season.

Flynn will be a different player to Hodge, Hodge being 6'7 with great ball handling skills made him a real tough cover for our no so athletic aussie SF's in the league. Being most teams get an import PG and big (either PF or C) Hodge was able to get into the lane at will in our league.

Its great to have Flynn in the NBL, the league here needs to get some higher profile imports or I fear the league will go broke and collapse. During the 90's all our best Aussie talent was playing here (Gaze, Heal, Bradtke) amd we had a bunch of NBA rejects as imports (Kevin Brooks, Darnell Mee, Todd Mundt, Reggie Smith, Todd Lichti, Acie Earl). I think Flynn will be similar to Patty Mills in terms of production.

B-Easy8
11-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Yeah Hodge was virtually a triple double maching while playing with Adelaide. His stint with the Melbourne Tigers was not as successful as he played with a broken bone in his hand for most of the season.

Flynn will be a different player to Hodge, Hodge being 6'7 with great ball handling skills made him a real tough cover for our no so athletic aussie SF's in the league. Being most teams get an import PG and big (either PF or C) Hodge was able to get into the lane at will in our league.

Its great to have Flynn in the NBL, the league here needs to get some higher profile imports or I fear the league will go broke and collapse. During the 90's all our best Aussie talent was playing here (Gaze, Heal, Bradtke) amd we had a bunch of NBA rejects as imports (Kevin Brooks, Darnell Mee, Todd Mundt, Reggie Smith, Todd Lichti, Acie Earl). I think Flynn will be similar to Patty Mills in terms of production.

Good post.

It needs to be marketed more. The successful teams (NZ and Perth) draw big crowds but the rest of the country know nothing about the league.

They should make a run at Kenyon Martin or another washed up NBA player. Give him $300k a year, a house and a car and market him.

Flynn will do pretty well but I agree, no better than Mills.

El Kabong
11-05-2012, 11:43 AM
I think its more the lifestyle than anything, he gets to play in one of the best cities in the world.

I know Kevin Lisch of the Wildcats gets payed only a couple hundred thousand but they also bought him a car and a house on the beach in scarborough. He said he got a big contract offer in Europe but turned it down to stay in Perth.

People love to criticise the NBL but I find it really entertaining. They are still really skilled but the athleticism just isn't there. The passing and team work is really good and there are basically no stops compared to the NBA. It's nothing on the NBA but like Euroleague said its 10 times better than the CBA. The Wildcats beat 2 of the Chinese teams by 40 points in preseason without 4 of their starting 5 playing.
It's the same as the Australian baseball league. Not huge $, but a lot of players would prefer to come here than somewhere like Puerto Rico or Japan.

According to one of the writers down here, a lot of NBA teams went shy on the guy after his hip surgery, so maybe that's something to do with it also.

Walker
11-05-2012, 01:32 PM

I know you're very touchy about the NBL but come on let's talk reality for a minute here. 5 of the last 10 years an American import has been the league MVP including the last 3 years straight.
Most of them would be garbage pretty much anywhere else, here, they're MVPs....

Ohh and it's more "mel-ben" than "mel-bin" :D

RRR3
11-05-2012, 01:34 PM
The only New Zealand team in the comp. They're currently going for a threepeat.
Are you a new Zealander?

Walker
11-05-2012, 01:37 PM
Are you a Kiwi?
Is the correct question :D

RRR3
11-05-2012, 01:39 PM
Is the correct question :D
Heh.

swi7ch
11-05-2012, 01:40 PM
[quote=Walker]

BarberSchool
11-05-2012, 02:00 PM
Glad I've been vindicated. I remember telling everyone that this guy would be a total bust. He was a 5'10" shoot-first point guard with a bad jumpshot. What were y'all thinking ?

R.I.P.
11-05-2012, 02:01 PM
Makes no sense to me. The Cavaliers wanted to sign him, he was one of the main players they wanted during the off-season. I wonder what happened.

Cleveland or Melbourne. Hmmm. Bit like picking between shit and gold. :lol

Pushxx
11-05-2012, 02:02 PM

Nice touch :lol repped

ZenMaster
11-05-2012, 02:07 PM
Another Syracuse bust.

IGotACoolStory
11-05-2012, 02:10 PM
Sounds like Flynn will easily become the MJ of the Australian League.

Cecil Exum is the Australian Michael Jordan.

Which, coincidently, he played with MJ at North Carolina. He has a son in high school right now that's definitely going to be playing in the NBA. 6-4 PG; probably well end up as a top 30 kid in the 2014 class. He beat up on all the other guards at the Adidas Nations this past summer.

Walker
11-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Cecil Exum is the Australian Michael Jordan.

Which, coincidently, he played with MJ at North Carolina. He has a son in high school right now that's definitely going to be playing in the NBA. 6-4 PG; probably well end up as a top 30 kid in the 2014 class. He beat up on all the other guards at the Adidas Nations this past summer.
Uhh what? Exum was a role player at best in the NBL.
Andrew Gaze was the MJ of the NBL, well over 30ppg average over a 10+ year career.

Suckafree
11-05-2012, 02:57 PM
Are you a new Zealander?
Yup

HaNdLe ThE RoCk
11-05-2012, 03:12 PM
starting to feel sorry for flynn but I wasn't really sold on him coming out of cuse

Scal
11-05-2012, 06:00 PM
Uhh what? Exum was a role player at best in the NBL.
Andrew Gaze was the MJ of the NBL, well over 30ppg average over a 10+ year career.

Yeah, Exum was hardly a superstar (didn't he play for Geelong? Wow, that is going back). Guys that no one ever heard of like Al Green (not the singer), Leroy Loggins, Mark Davis, Tiny Pinder were Americans that dominated back in the day.

Besides, just because they played in the NBA don't mean shit. Look at Acie Earl - guy was a flat out joke, and even had a 40+ pt game in the NBA.

SevereUpInHere
11-05-2012, 07:34 PM
Good post.

It needs to be marketed more. The successful teams (NZ and Perth) draw big crowds but the rest of the country know nothing about the league.

They should make a run at Kenyon Martin or another washed up NBA player. Give him $300k a year, a house and a car and market him.

Flynn will do pretty well but I agree, no better than Mills.

I really think now that the stadium is in the city a lot more people will go, then you can grab dinner in the city before or after and head out after. I've already got quite a few friends (girls and guys who don't follow basketball) who are really keen to catch some games at the new stadium.

Gold Coast was getting a decent following before I left there about 3 years ago, no idea how it is now.

Didn't see the last bit about K-Mart, but agreed, dudes like Yi too who haven't got a team yet too. I wish there was some way of getting Iverson over here. Even if the league paid some of his salary. He'd sell out games in every city for sure, would be great for the league

El Kabong
11-05-2012, 07:40 PM
Yeah, Exum was hardly a superstar (didn't he play for Geelong? Wow, that is going back). Guys that no one ever heard of like Al Green (not the singer), Leroy Loggins, Mark Davis, Tiny Pinder were Americans that dominated back in the day.

Besides, just because they played in the NBA don't mean shit. Look at Acie Earl - guy was a flat out joke, and even had a 40+ pt game in the NBA.
Robert Rose dominated in his time too. Leonard Copeland, Kevin Brooks and Darnell Mee were great as well. Doug Overton's 1 year here is also considered one of the best years of basketball ever. Rick Brunson (Current assistant coach for the Bobcats) played his first year out of College for the Adelaide 36ers (nice bit of trivia, current Bobcats coach Mike Dunlap was the head coach of the 36ers at the time) was awesome, too.

Acie Earls problem was never talent, it was he was a big lazy pos, and being in a league he considered inferior only made the problem worse.

SevereUpInHere
11-05-2012, 07:46 PM
Robert Rose dominated in his time too. Leonard Copeland, Kevin Brooks and Darnell Mee were great as well. Doug Overton's 1 year here is also considered one of the best years of basketball ever. Rick Brunson (Current assistant coach for the Bobcats) played his first year out of College for the Adelaide 36ers (nice bit of trivia, current Bobcats coach Mike Dunlap was the head coach of the 36ers at the time) was awesome, too.

Acie Earls problem was never talent, it was he was a big lazy pos, and being in a league he considered inferior only made the problem worse.

Damn man, I remember Darnell Mee and Robert Rose, I used to go to Canberra Canons games when I was a kid. I remember those 2 guys being really good. Holy nostalgia... I'm sure I've even got those guys autographs somewhere :oldlol:

El Kabong
11-05-2012, 07:59 PM
Damn man, I remember Darnell Mee and Robert Rose, I used to go to Canberra Canons games when I was a kid. I remember those 2 guys being really good. Holy nostalgia... I'm sure I've even got those guys autographs somewhere :oldlol:
Yea, he played 2 yeas for the 36ers (until Mike Dunlap did his old guy cleanout) before he went to the Cannons, so he was one of my favorites as a kid. Leon Trimmingham was too, the '96 36ers team he played on was stacked, Brunson, Trimmingham, Mark Davis, Brett Maher, John Rillie and Martin Cattalini. I remember going to Trimminghams first 36ers game with my brother, we were both so excited he was playing on the team.

Walker
11-05-2012, 11:39 PM
Rob Rose was one of my alltime favourite players too being a huge SEM Magic fan, my family always had Eastside Spectres then Magic season tickets, right up to the Titans days then we stopped getting them (f*ck the NM Giants).

Anyone remeber the NBL board game "NBL Challenge"? That game was awesome.
http://andthefoul.net/NBLwiki/index.php?NBL%20Challenge

NickTheQuick31
11-06-2012, 02:34 AM
The NBL Challenge was a board game released in 1994 by Woody Productions. Up to 6 players could play the game. This game is no longer in circulation and considered rare.

I have this game, and its still in great condition. One problem is I took a lot of the cards to games and got them autographed. The cards are all in protective sleeves to this day.

I actually only played the game once as I could not find anyone to play it with me!

maybeshewill13
11-06-2012, 02:36 AM
The NBL still exists? Never hear of it in Australia. I thought I heard at one stage it might get canned soon? :confusedshrug:

B-Easy8
11-09-2012, 07:54 AM
In his first game,

12 points, 8 rebounds, 7 assists on 4/17 shooting.

His team also won by 30.

LJJ
11-09-2012, 08:07 AM
In his first game,

12 points, 8 rebounds, 7 assists on 4/17 shooting.

His team also won by 30.

Yup Johnny Flynn.

Xover
11-11-2012, 05:10 AM
What a boss