PDA

View Full Version : Has LeBron peaked?

longhornfan1234
09-13-2012, 12:39 PM
Or will he get better? :confusedshrug:

scm5
09-13-2012, 12:47 PM
Most likely better. He seems like a more well rounded player these days, relying less on athleticism and more on skill.

He actually has a decent midrange now and he has some reliable post moves.

Umad101
09-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Most likely better. He seems like a more well rounded player these days, relying less on athleticism and more on skill.

He actually has a decent midrange now and he has some reliable post moves.
His midrange sucked in the finals I think this is the best he can get

Mr Exlax
09-13-2012, 12:54 PM
Dwade said he's getting better so I don't think he's peaked.

DukeDelonte13
09-13-2012, 12:55 PM
I don't think so. I think he still has room to improve, and now that the pressure of winning a ring is off i expect him to be better.

Indian guy
09-13-2012, 12:58 PM
Absolutely. Peaked in 2010. It's been downhill since.

crisoner
09-13-2012, 12:59 PM
He peaked but it will last for a couple more seasons.

DatAsh
09-13-2012, 01:13 PM
2012 was his best year so far, so it's kind of up in the air at this point.

TMT
09-13-2012, 01:24 PM
He peaked but it will last for a couple more seasons.

This. He's at the highest peak at all levels of his game right now. His play, confidence, jumpshot. He'll continue this until he's probably 32 or 33 then start to drop of a bit. The interesting thing to see is when his athleticism will start to go.

swi7ch
09-13-2012, 01:54 PM
Not yet. Two more years and he has.

SpecialQue
09-13-2012, 01:55 PM
The moment he hit his peak was during that Celtics game when he turned into a robotic assassin and started fisting each player in green with a Velcro glove. Well see if he can keep that up this season or if he gets complacent.

Sarcastic
09-13-2012, 01:58 PM
He's peaked, and plateaued.

LakersReign
09-13-2012, 02:02 PM
Lebron's already 27, and his game relies solely on his athletic ability. He's peaked at this point cuz when he turns 30,all that will go away, then well see what real skillset he has.

lilgodfather1
09-13-2012, 02:08 PM
Statistically speaking yes he likely has, but in terms of his overall game who knows. He still isn't a great shooter, although much improved, and his post game is still not great. If he improves those two areas I don't see why he couldn't hit 28 ppg on 55% shooting in the future. Lower his FGA, raise his FG%, possibly raise his rpg because of playing closer to the basket, and we could be looking at a much different LeBron in 3 or 4 years than we see now.

KG215
09-13-2012, 02:10 PM
He just had his best season (start to finish) at an age a lot of other all-time greats "put it all together", 27. There's no reason to think he can't play at a similar level for another 2-4 years.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
09-13-2012, 02:15 PM
He can still get better in the post, work on his jumpshot (and FT shooting). Dude is only 27 with a lot left in the tank. Hone his skillset and he can/will better than ever going into the season.

ILLsmak
09-13-2012, 02:31 PM
He can still get better in the post, work on his jumpshot (and FT shooting). Dude is only 27 with a lot left in the tank. Hone his skillset and he can/will better than ever going into the season.

This is true, but don't assume everything else will stay the same. Can LeBron become a more effective player? It's hard to imagine him being more effective. Therefore, I think he has peaked.

Dude is arguably able to get you 30 12 and 8 averages from the PF position, that's unheard of.

-Smak

pegasus
09-13-2012, 02:34 PM
His midrange sucked in the finals I think this is the best he can get

This. He shot 20% from outside the paint.

Mr Exlax
09-13-2012, 02:43 PM
This. He shot 20% from outside the paint.

So let me get this straight. It was bad in one or two series and now that's what he's gonna be stuck at?

pauk
09-13-2012, 02:47 PM
Lebron's already 27, and his game relies solely on his athletic ability. He's peaked at this point cuz when he turns 30,all that will go away, then well see what real skillset he has.

Thats what they said about MJ at that age (and he didnt even have a championship by that age)...

RRR3
09-13-2012, 02:49 PM
I'd like too see him combine his best aspects from the past two seasons. In 2011, LeBron was a damn good jumpshooter, but became overly reliant on jumpshooting and this eventually led to his "downfall" in the Finals IMO (jumpshot stopped falling, LBJ panicked-my theory anyways). In 2012, LBJ was much more willing to post up and was pretty effective in doing so, although his post game is still developing. He also seemed to regain some of his athleticism this past year, but, apart from the first half of the year, his jumper was incredibly erratic, and it was absent for most of the playoffs (although this didn't hinder him, as he found other ways to score, when his jumper is on like game 6 vs. Celtics he's literally unstoppable). LeBron may move permanently to PF when he gets older and is no longer an incredible athlete, hopefully he'll have a great post game by then. LeBron is not completely reliant on his athleticism either, despite what some would have you believe.

lakerspng
09-13-2012, 02:52 PM
I would say he's peaked. He can gain more skill but his athleticism is going to start it's downhill slide. He needs to work on his post game, footwork and jumpshot, it will make up for his loss of explosiveness that is soon to come. As long as he remains injury free, his peak should hang on for another couple seasons at least. Dude is a beast.

guy
09-13-2012, 02:53 PM
Thats what they said about MJ at that age (and he didnt even have a championship by that age)...

Ummm even if it was understated cause of his amazing athletic ability, Jordan quite clearly had one of the greatest skillsets ever at that point of his career. As far as scoring goes, Jordan even before that age skillwise was a million miles ahead of Lebron has ever been.

Not everything that was said about Lebron was said about Jordan, and even if it was it doesn't mean it was more or less justified.

LakersReign
09-13-2012, 03:12 PM

Child(pauk) please got sit your ret**ded a** down somewhere:rolleyes:

Show me a link to where CREDIBLE people really said that then. This is just yet another one of your pathetic FAILED attempts to make some sort of backdoor comparison between Lebron and Jordan. Last time I checked Jordan never quit in a Finals.:sleeping

BlueandGold
09-13-2012, 03:29 PM
Well he's definitely peaked (started in 2010) but how long it lasts has yet to be seen. Some people have primes lasting 10 years (Jordan from 86 - 96 is 1 example) while others have primes lasting only a few seasons (Walton in the late 70s).

Smoke117
09-13-2012, 03:38 PM
Everyone that says he's peaked basically is a kobe stan or hates or dislikes Lebron in some way. I reserve my opinion as of now and just want to see what he can do and I really have no opinion of him in either way as far as like or dislike, but just find it amusing seeing all the haters.

NattyPButter
09-13-2012, 03:46 PM
sorry to but to say all his athleticism will go away at 30 is dumb. The differences between him and other players is that he stretches and does yoga with some other crazy stuff. Which is why he doesn't get injured. Injuries is everyone's downfall and then age. When he does start show decline he will still be a top 3 player in the league just look at Kobe and Wade. Injuries are hurting but they are still two of the best players in the league.

Hands of Iron
09-13-2012, 03:50 PM
Ummm even if it was understated cause of his amazing athletic ability, Jordan quite clearly had one of the greatest skillsets ever at that point of his career. As far as scoring goes, Jordan even before that age skillwise was a million miles ahead of Lebron has ever been.

Not everything that was said about Lebron was said about Jordan, and even if it was it doesn't mean it was more or less justified.

:lol

lakerspng
09-13-2012, 03:52 PM
Everyone that says he's peaked basically is a kobe stan or hates or dislikes Lebron in some way. I reserve my opinion as of now and just want to see what he can do and I really have no opinion of him in either way as far as like or dislike, but just find it amusing seeing all the haters.

I don't hate him. It's just common sense. A person does not become a better athlete at this stage in life. He's already beyond his physical prime. He can maintain it and keep the decline more gradual with a strong workout and diet regime, which he seems to do, but father time is father time. No one wins that fight. He can offset it greatly by adding new skills and refining current skills but he will never be a faster or better athlete than he has already been.

LBJ 23
09-13-2012, 03:56 PM
I think that after past season, mentally he's stronger than ever. And if you think about it, in the last 3 seasons that's excatly what was holding him back. Not that he wasn't capable of doing this or doing that. Or that he was not effective enough when trying. In the most important moments his confidence betrayed him.

Now, after winning a chip I don't think that will be an issue again(also the Olympics showed that to a degree) so with a bit less athletic Lebron than in his younger days, but with a much more confident and offensively sharper Lebron, we might witness an epic season from him.

Parps
09-13-2012, 03:57 PM
Dwade said he's getting better so I don't think he's peaked.

His teammate saying he's getting better? Not sure this is relevant

What would you expect him to day? Lebron is gonna get worse next year?

Sarcastic
09-13-2012, 04:01 PM

Jordan peaked athletically around 1988-90. He then plateaued from around 1991-1992. By 1993 the wear and tear started to take a toll, and he evolved his game to be more of a perimeter player.

Winning championships have nothing to do with a player's peak. It has to do with the team built around him. Basketball is a team sport.

Mr Exlax
09-13-2012, 04:07 PM
His teammate saying he's getting better? Not sure this is relevant

What would you expect him to day? Lebron is gonna get worse next year?

I wouldn't expect him to say anything actually. He didn't say anything like that last off season did he?

bdreason
09-13-2012, 04:40 PM
If he continues to improve his play from the post (especially passing), his game will improve significantly.

Nash
09-13-2012, 04:47 PM
Biggest myth ever. Lebron is one of the smartest players in the league and has a huge basketball IQ. At some later point of his career he'll be a full time facilitator and that'll keep him still being an elite player in the league at a older age.

Phenith
09-13-2012, 05:11 PM
He may have peaked statistically, but as a player, he is still developing for sure.

crisoner
09-13-2012, 05:12 PM
If he continues to improve his play from the post (especially passing), his game will improve significantly.

And he will be able to last longer because soon enough his speed will go.

kNicKz
09-13-2012, 05:13 PM
The moment he hit his peak was during that Celtics game when he turned into a robotic assassin and started fisting each player in green with a Velcro glove. Well see if he can keep that up this season or if he gets complacent.

That game was crazy, he terminated boston

Lebron23
09-13-2012, 05:15 PM
That game was crazy, he terminated boston

One of his best games in his NBA Career.

I think he will put up a much better numbers next season. No more pressure for LeBron cause he already won an NBA Finals MVP. The guy is 6'8", and 265 lbs. He will play the PF Position in his 30's.

9erempiree
09-13-2012, 05:16 PM
This is a hard topic to grasp since it involves peak. We can define peak in many ways. Some judge a player's peak by their physical ability. Some judge them by stats.

I think Lebron has peaked physically. He's not dunking on guys like he was with Cleveland. He use to blow by his man with his first step and dunking on people. He use to get up higher than he does now.

But....here's the catch....

Statistically he is just as good or even better than he was in the Cleveland days. It may not seem like it since he has allstars on his team but their is no drop off.

What do you think?

kNicKz
09-13-2012, 05:18 PM
One of his best games in his NBA Career.

I'd say it was the best game in his career considering the elimination and shit, kind of suspect being down 2 to an old ass team (Granted 3 HOFers though ) but **** it, picked them apart and destroyed them in the end

LakersReign
09-13-2012, 05:21 PM
Biggest myth ever. Lebron is one of the smartest players in the league and has a huge basketball IQ. At some later point of his career he'll be a full time facilitator and that'll keep him still being an elite player in the league at a older age.

pauk...which part of "sit your(pauk/nash) ret**ded a** down" remains unclear?:confusedshrug:

Pointguard
09-13-2012, 06:01 PM
What if Lebron goes down in the post and really likes it there? at 28 thru 30 its the age where players really find their niche and usually take it to another high. Lebron has played the last three years under a lot of pressure and that has messed with him and his touch. So I definitely think he hasn't played his best ball yet. His touch is better than most are giving him credit for (he hasn't shot under 33% from in four years (something the very skilled shooter Kobe hadn't done at Lebron's age). Lebron's three point shooting and field goal percentage has been improving every year as of late. His field goal percentage is on a six year incline and he wasn't shooting bad 7 years ago. And he always gets more efficient. Plus, when you are versatile it takes longer for you to understand all of what you can master on the court.

If you look at his body type, you wonder if he will get a second peak like Karl Malone at 33 and 34 years of age. You really can't tell with Lebron. But I do think the pressure messed with his game the last three years.

LT Ice Cream
09-13-2012, 06:14 PM
He may have peaked athletically, he's at the age when most players do. But skillwise I think he can improve a lot if he keeps working hard.

Smoke117
09-13-2012, 06:24 PM
What if Lebron goes down in the post and really likes it there? at 28 thru 30 its the age where players really find their niche and usually take it to another high. Lebron has played the last three years under a lot of pressure and that has messed with him and his touch. So I definitely think he hasn't played his best ball yet. His touch is better than most are giving him credit for (he hasn't shot under 33% from in four years (something the very skilled shooter Kobe hadn't done at Lebron's age). Lebron's three point shooting and field goal percentage has been improving every year as of late. His field goal percentage is on a six year incline and he wasn't shooting bad 7 years ago. And he always gets more efficient. Plus, when you are versatile it takes longer for you to understand all of what you can master on the court.

If you look at his body type, you wonder if he will get a second peak like Karl Malone at 33 and 34 years of age. You really can't tell with Lebron. But I do think the pressure messed with his game the last three years.

I think the difference now is that at least at this point players are aging a lot quicker because they came out of high school. They've been on an NBA professional schedule since 18-19 so they age a lot quicker. That is why you see a guy like Kobe Bryant hit with injuries and ailments in his early 30s when you didn't see players in the 80s or 90s so much hit with these ailments because they didn't come into the league so early. Plus Kobe has been in eight finals appearances and been on two olympic teams...the body can only take so much wear and tear.

It especially matters how you play. Scottie Pippen's body took much more of a beating than Michael Jordan's because he took the harder hits, took the charges, took the falls, and put his body on the line more than Jordan did. It cost him in the end even though he had a long career, but he wasn't able to play game to game at the level he used to as his back was screwed up after 98 and his knees started to give up after 2000. Age, injuries, and just wear and tear catch up to everyone eventually no matter what. When Jordan came back and was trying to play like 38mpg or whatever his knees just couldn't take it. He was just too old. The body can only take so much and eventually it gives out.

The one thing I think that Lebron has going for him is that...he is basically an athletic freak. Besides that weird freak elbow incident he does just seem to have the body that can just take a lot of wear and tear even though he's come out of high school. Plus he does seem to be becoming a more skilled player though I think he could become MUCH BETTER in the post right now, but he is only 27, so he has a lot more time for that as of now. As far as athleticism...he has peaked, his body is not going to get faster, stronger, quicker (without any illegal aid) at this point in his career, but he's not really on the down hill or if he is he's just BEGINNING IT, so it's not like he's in his mid 30s or something. He can still become a BETTER PLAYER FOR SURE by working on HIS SKILLS.

oamjad13
09-13-2012, 06:32 PM
2012 was the best I have seen him play. He possessed every skill in the book and was clutch in the post-season. Can he top it? Well I guess we'll have to just find out.

Mr. Incredible
09-13-2012, 06:42 PM
He's going to be a lot better this year. Going to dominate.

OldSchoolBBall
09-13-2012, 07:08 PM
It especially matters how you play. Scottie Pippen's body took much more of a beating than Michael Jordan's because he took the harder hits, took the charges, took the falls, and put his body on the line more than Jordan did.

This is such nonsenscial bullshit. :oldlol:

Smoke117
09-13-2012, 07:28 PM
This is such nonsenscial bullshit. :oldlol:

You would say that as a Jordan stan.

OldSchoolBBall
09-13-2012, 07:36 PM
You would say that as a Jordan stan.

No, I say that as a person who watched the games and saw Jordan hit the ground and dive for balls, make hustle plays etc. more than Pippen. Jordan also took WAY more of a beating on the offensive end than Pippen did, both because he was the focus of the defense as well as because he was able to get into the lane morel he also posted up way more. So no, Pippen's body did not take more of a beating than MJ's - that's nonsense, as I said.

coin24
09-13-2012, 07:40 PM
Barrelling in for layups against an inferior team, whose coach was too dumb to make any adjustments = clutch.. apparently..
Piggybacking a title also makes you clutch... Only on ISH:applause:

I think if he played in the post more and worked on his game there he will be great for years to come. Otherwise once the athleticism goes he'll decline as fast as Wade..

fpliii
09-13-2012, 08:01 PM
I'm presently disillusioned by the entire concept of primes/peaks, so I'm not sure what to say. I don't know that LeBron was a markedly better player last season than he was in his last two years in Cleveland (D aside), but his skills are definitely more refined, and he's more willing to utilize different aspects of his game.

I'd like to see if he can improve defensively, though. He's already obviously good but he has tools to take that next step.

pegasus
09-13-2012, 08:18 PM
Barrelling in for layups against an inferior team, whose coach was too dumb to make any adjustments = clutch.. apparently..
Piggybacking a title also makes you clutch... Only on ISH:applause:

I think if he played in the post more and worked on his game there he will be great for years to come. Otherwise once the athleticism goes he'll decline as fast as Wade..
I agree. His footwork is still bad for him to become an effective post player. OKC double teamed him whenever he posted up before he even made any moves, which aren't many, then he kept passing out of them and his teammates made their shots at a ridiculous rate. That's the OKC's coach's stupidity, not Lebron's brilliance.

MMKM
09-13-2012, 08:22 PM
Athletically he has peaked. He ain't jumping any higher or running any faster. But he will continue to gain experience, intelligence, and old man strungth, so even if he loses 10% of his athleticism, what he gains in IQ combined with his massive size will keep him at the top of his class

NumberSix
09-13-2012, 08:49 PM
2013-214 will be his peak

RaininTwos
09-13-2012, 09:44 PM
ISH in 1990:

Has Jordan peaked?

"Obviously"

"He's not going to get any better as an athlete so why would he get better"

:coleman:

Six years later he puts together one of his best seasons ever...some even say his flat out best.

ISH in 2003:

Has Kobe peaked?

"Father time is father time..."

etc....

we know how this story goes...

I wonder if people thought 06 was going to be Wade's peak before his 08-09 season?

"Duh, his athleticism cannot stay at this level much longer, its only down from here"

KOBE143
09-13-2012, 10:30 PM
He already peaked in cleveland and now we will going to see him decline fast.. At age 30 LeBron will be washed up.. No more freakish athleticism to save his ass.. :lol

red1
09-13-2012, 11:18 PM
bronzy is durable as fukk, as long as he keeps taking his hgh I don't see him falling off for another 5 years at least

LakersReign
09-13-2012, 11:25 PM
:roll: @all these Lebron kids in here, trying to say Lebron will be able to play exactly the same way when he turns 30:lol

Go ask Iverson how fast he is now, as compared to when he was in his 20's:facepalm

AlonzoGOAT
09-13-2012, 11:46 PM
:roll: @all these Lebron kids in here, trying to say Lebron will be able to play exactly the same way when he turns 30:lol

Go ask Iverson how fast he is now, as compared to when he was in his 20's:facepalm
why are you comparing 30 to 37? Do you think there's no difference from kobes upcoming season to when he's 37?

LakersReign
09-13-2012, 11:50 PM
Learn how to read:rolleyes:

macpierce
09-14-2012, 01:12 AM
Lebron will continue to play around this level for the next 3-4 years.....after that he will have a tougher time getting all those easy baskets due to freakish athleticism. He will still be the best if not the 2nd best player in the L

Money 23
09-15-2012, 06:20 PM
2009 and 2010 are his peak in terms of all around skill, experience and athleticism / explosiveness

At his peak in those seasons, he was the 2nd greatest player I have ever witnessed.

Hoopz2332
02-28-2013, 02:57 AM
I remember seeing threads that said lebron peaked in 2006:oldlol:

kennethgriffin
02-28-2013, 03:11 AM
I remember seeing threads that said lebron peaked in 2006:oldlol:

i dunno i think most people were right in this thread saying he peaked in 2010

he averaged like 30points/9assists/7rebounds lol

his team now is just better and his outside shooting has improved.

i still say he was twice as fast/quick back then. he was more feared than he is now. hes just really efficient now and picks his spots better. more consistant shooting

he was carrying a team almost by himself back then too. he has way less pressure playing with wade/bosh

2010 was more impressive IMO

Kingwillball
02-28-2013, 03:29 AM
Lebrons Peak Athletically was until 2009 IMO. He may be a hair Slower and jump a hair Lower now but he is so much of a more complete and confident player now.

kennethgriffin
02-28-2013, 03:53 AM
Lebrons Peak Athletically was until 2009 IMO. He may be a hair Slower and jump a hair Lower now but he is so much of a more complete and confident player now.

hair?

lol. a hair is like 1/100th of a mm you know. but i wouldn't expect an american to understand terms of measurement since you abolished the metric system

hes like 1 step slower and jumps half a foot lower

i remember him doin free throw dunks in games and being the fasted player in the nba...

miller-time
02-28-2013, 04:02 AM
lol. a hair is like 1/100th of a mm you know. but i wouldn't expect an american to understand terms of measurement since you abolished the metric system

A hair isn't a standard unit of measure. It is an object that can be measured using whatever scale you like. Including imperial.

Kingwillball
02-28-2013, 05:25 AM
hair?

hes like 1 step slower and jumps half a foot lower

i remember him doin free throw dunks in games and being the fasted player in the nba...

The Dude still Gets his Head to the Rim on Ally oops and Can still Run down just about anyone. He is a Freak athletically still just a little more measured than he used to.

Pointguard
02-28-2013, 10:35 AM
His jump shot will get better. He had a real busy year this past year and didn't get proper work in despite it getting better anyway. His post game will get better. If he can lose 10 lbs I think his athletic peak of 2010 can still be attained. Or he can morph into a more power player.

Joey3000
02-28-2013, 10:59 AM
If he gets any better than he is now he will be G.O.A.T

You simply cant get better than what he is now.

ripthekik
02-28-2013, 11:01 AM
If he gets any better than he is now he will be G.O.A.T

You simply cant get better than what he is now.
he will never be GOAT because he lacks to competitiveness that other GOATS have. they have never taken the shortcut or joined other top players.

Djahjaga
02-28-2013, 11:08 AM
i dunno i think most people were right in this thread saying he peaked in 2010

he averaged like 30points/9assists/7rebounds lol

his team now is just better and his outside shooting has improved.

i still say he was twice as fast/quick back then. he was more feared than he is now. hes just really efficient now and picks his spots better. more consistant shooting

he was carrying a team almost by himself back then too. he has way less pressure playing with wade/bosh

2010 was more impressive IMO

:rolleyes: