PDA

View Full Version : #21 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops

Deuce Bigalow
09-03-2012, 04:08 PM
Bob Pettit was voted the #20 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops.

26.4 PPG | 16.2 RPG | 3.0 APG

NBA Champion

kurple
09-03-2012, 04:20 PM
zeke

longhornfan1234
09-03-2012, 04:23 PM
David Robinson.

BoutPractice
09-03-2012, 04:25 PM
Dirk.

IGotACoolStory
09-03-2012, 04:34 PM
http://i47.tinypic.com/2m78ym1.jpg

Nash
09-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Wade

SuperPippen
09-03-2012, 04:42 PM
Havlicek

Young X
09-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Dwyane Wade

KG215
09-03-2012, 04:55 PM
Havlicek.

kennethgriffin
09-03-2012, 04:58 PM
mikan, cousy, havicek

kurple
09-03-2012, 04:59 PM
mikan, cousy, havicek
vote for one

SourPatchKids
09-03-2012, 05:04 PM
http://d26yigxxs6gued.cloudfront.net/img/art_herovet/RobinsonInside.jpg

Heilige
09-03-2012, 05:10 PM
George Mikan

DaHeezy
09-03-2012, 05:12 PM
Isiah

kNicKz
09-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Ostertag

creepingdeath
09-03-2012, 05:20 PM
Dirk

Sarcastic
09-03-2012, 05:22 PM
Isiah Thomas

quick96
09-03-2012, 05:28 PM
Looks like a Michael "cabbage patch" Jordan fan created this list... Nothing but

a biased bunch of 90's cupcake fans that run Inside Hoops... :facepalm

How can you have Michael 90's cupcake Jordan over

Wilt Chamberlain, Larry Bird, Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson and Bill Russell?

Nothing but a bunch of Nike and ESPN fans that run this ish...

MiamiThrice
09-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Who the **** is Bob Petitt?

http://stk.dimemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/dirk_32_02.jpg

Give me Horsecock Nowitzki. Anyone care to explain how Bob Petitt is a better player than the HC? What actual abilities does this guy have ON THE COURT that make him better than Dirk? Because from my short time on youtube this guy looks like ****ing shit. Dirk with the better shot, stronger, bigger, quicker, better at getting to the rim. This guy isn't better on the court than Dirk at any single ****ing thing.

Freedom Kid7
09-03-2012, 05:39 PM
Zeke (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7BmIVHdl3o&feature=plcp)

SourPatchKids
09-03-2012, 05:41 PM
"These pants may be square, but It's time to think outside the box".- http://downloads.gamesgames.com/images/games/spongebob_diner_dash/spongebob_diner_dash_icon02.jpg

NiHao
09-03-2012, 05:42 PM
dirk

BlackVVaves
09-03-2012, 06:19 PM
At least Baylor and Pettit rightfully made the Top 20. They are lower than they should be, but it would be even more disgraceful if ISH had voted Dirk or Zeke in the Top 20 before Elgin and Bob.

Now, on to #21.

For me, it's between David Robinson and John Havlicek.

George Mikan, Elvin Hayes, and Rick Barry are also in play here, but to me it comes down to what the two aforementioned men accomplished as players and performers.

Robinson
Regular season averages - 21 PPG | 11 RPG | 3 APG | 3 BPG | 52% FG
Playoff averages - 18 PPG | 11 RPG | 2 APG | 3 BPG | 48% FG
Peak Season - 26 PPG | 10 RPG | 2 APG | 2 SPG | 3 BPG | 53% FG
1 MVP :: 1 DPOY :: 2 Titles

Havlicek (Hondo for you kids that just started watching basketball in 2003)
Regular season averages - 21 PPG | 6 RPG | 5 APG | 44% FG
Playoff averages - 22 PPG | 7 RPG | 5 APG | 44% FG
Peak Season - 27 PPG | 8 RPG | 6 APG | 46% FG
8 titles (6 with Russell, 2 without Russell)

Both were tremendous defensive players in the prime. Havlicek was a Top 2 perimeter defender throughout the 70s, and would have racked up a couple of DPOY awards if the award was around back then. Robinson was a Top 3 interior defender throughout the 90s, and protected the rim extremely well.

Hondo has the more NBA championships, however his supporting casts for the majority of them were leaps and bounds better than Robinson's. Hondo's FG% may appear low, but that league average for FG% back then was low as well, so it's all in relation (anyone know the league average for FG% year by year in the 60s and 70s?).

Hmm. I think I'm going to go with Hondo. Robinson has the more distinguished individual accolades (MVP, DPOY) but Hondo definitely would have had a couple DPOY if the award existed back then. I would say he was almost, if not as an effective perimeter defender as Robinson was an interior defender. Aside from that, he was a better overall basketball player than Robinson, and his ring collection is premier.

-
-

(It should be noted, I'd have no problem with George Mikan here at #21. His dominance revolutionized the game, from turning rebounds into a measureable stat to the implementation of the shot-clock. The pioneer of all pioneers, Mr. Basketball deserves to be honored and remembered for his contributions to the game and evolution of basketball.)

L.Kizzle
09-03-2012, 06:20 PM
John Havlicek

miles berg
09-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Dirk Nowitzki should have been on there two spots ago minimum.

Dirk.

BlackVVaves
09-03-2012, 06:30 PM

Give me Horsecock Nowitzki. Anyone care to explain how Bob Petitt is a better player than the HC? What actual abilities does this guy have ON THE COURT that make him better than Dirk? Because from my short time on youtube this guy looks like ****ing shit. Dirk with the better shot, stronger, bigger, quicker, better at getting to the rim. This guy isn't better on the court than Dirk at any single ****ing thing.

The NBA began before the 2010 off-season, you unbashful ignoramus.

Educate yourself on the history of the game, and the level of dominance elder All-Time greats exhibited in relation to the play of their peers.

Your idiocy never seems to amaze me, no matter how many times I glance at your posts :facepalm

MiamiThrice
09-03-2012, 06:38 PM
The NBA began before the 2010 off-season, you unbashful ignoramus.

Educate yourself on the history of the game, and the level of dominance elder All-Time greats exhibited in relation to the play of their peers.

Your idiocy never seems to amaze me, no matter how many times I glance at your posts :facepalm

So tell me what did Bob Petitt do on the court better than Dirk?

I want specific things that he could do better than Dirk on the court. What was this man capable of doing better than Dirk on the court that Dirk could not.

But I know you won't be able to give me specifics and you'll just throw mindless overblown numbers in a fast-paced era and media awards in my face that you read on basketball reference. The truth is you don't know shit about that guy and have probably never even watched him play.

Next.

Round Mound
09-03-2012, 06:56 PM
Rick Barry. This Dude is becoming Severly Underrated In ISH.

I Mean People Voted Malone over Barkley (when everyone who Watched Both Prior to 1995-96 knows Barkley was More Dominant). That`s How Ilogical These Threads are Becoming.

TheBigVeto
09-03-2012, 07:19 PM
Dirk is not top 20?
Ridiculous.

SourPatchKids
http://i1.hoopchina.com.cn/u/1206/24/311/5327311/b8134164.jpg
:( :( :( :( :( :mad: :( :( :(

Freedom Kid7
Rick Barry. This Dude is becoming Severly Underrated In ISH.

I Mean People Voted Malone over Barkley (when everyone who Watched Both Prior to 1995-96 knows Barkley was More Dominant). That`s How Ilogical These Threads are Becoming.
Which Malone do you refer to? Moses was better than Barkley IMO, but Karl vs Charles is definitly up for discussion/could go either way.

BlackVVaves
09-03-2012, 07:21 PM

I want specific things that he could do better than Dirk on the court. What was this man capable of doing better than Dirk on the court that Dirk could not.

But I know you won't be able to give me specifics and you'll just throw mindless overblown numbers in a fast-paced era and media awards in my face that you read on basketball reference. The truth is you don't know shit about that guy and have probably never even watched him play.

Next.

:oldlol:

I can assure you, I know more about him and that era than you do. Clearly.

Pettit was the far superior rebounder, despite Dirk being 7 feet and Pettit being 6-8, 6-9. Pettit was a better passer, and better defender. Dirk is definitely a better shooter, but Pettit was the more prolific scorer.

Media awards huh? Do you know how the MVP was selected back then? You 14 year old moron :roll: :roll: :roll:

Pettit boasts 2 MVPs, back when the award was SELECTED BY NBA PLAYERS, AND 10 ALL NBA FIRST TEAM SELECTIONS.

Dirk has 1 MVP with the award being SELECTED BY MEDIA PUNDITS, IDIOTS LIKE YOURSELF I'D GATHER, AND 4 ALL NBA FIRST TEAM SELECTIONS.

YOU KNOW ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT THE GAME OF BASKETBALL OR IT'S HISTORY. YOU'RE A TEENAGER WHO'S GREATEST NBA MOMENT IS LEBRON JAMES' ONE HOUR SPECIAL ON ESPN. SHUT THE F U C K UP, YOU ARE A NON-M O T H E R F U C K I N G FACTOR.

"Next."

chips93
09-03-2012, 07:24 PM
isiah thomas

nycelt84
09-03-2012, 07:24 PM
Someone is seriously going to tell me what case Isiah has for being ranked over Havlicek. I pick John Havlicek.

INDI
09-03-2012, 07:27 PM
David robinson

chips93
09-03-2012, 07:31 PM
Someone is seriously going to tell me what case Isiah has for being ranked over Havlicek. I pick John Havlicek.

best player on two champion teams in possibly the most competitive era in the nba's history

Freedom Kid7
09-03-2012, 07:33 PM
best player on two champion teams in possibly the most competitive era in the nba's history
Sums up my thought.
I will say Havlicek and Thomas for the most are interchangable/next to each other in my list though.

Duncan21formvp
09-03-2012, 07:33 PM
David Robinson

MiamiThrice
09-03-2012, 07:34 PM
:oldlol:

I can assure you, I know more about him and that era than you do. Clearly.

Pettit was the far superior rebounder, despite Dirk being 7 feet and Pettit being 6-8, 6-9. Pettit was a better passer, and better defender. Dirk is definitely a better shooter, but Pettit was the more prolific scorer.

Media awards huh? Do you know how the MVP was selected back then? You 14 year old moron :roll: :roll: :roll:

Pettit boasts 2 MVPs, back when the award was SELECTED BY NBA PLAYERS, AND 10 ALL NBA FIRST TEAM SELECTIONS.

Dirk has 1 MVP with the award being SELECTED BY MEDIA PUNDITS, IDIOTS LIKE YOURSELF I'D GATHER, AND 4 ALL NBA FIRST TEAM SELECTIONS.

YOU KNOW ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT THE GAME OF BASKETBALL OR IT'S HISTORY. YOU'RE A TEENAGER WHO'S GREATEST NBA MOMENT IS LEBRON JAMES' ONE HOUR SPECIAL ON ESPN. SHUT THE F U C K UP, YOU ARE A NON-M O T H E R F U C K I N G FACTOR.

"Next."

I said what specific abilities on the court. Not general bullshit like "better scorer" How was he a better scorer? What moves did he have that made him more efficient/better than a guy like Dirk? How was a better defender? He is smaller, weaker, and slower than Dirk. What specific defensive traits did he possess that Dirk doesnt have? Don't worry, I'll wait.

I want specifics kid, not general stats and conclusions one comes to from reading numbers off of a guys basketball-reference profile. His increased PPG and RPG stem from the simple fact that the game was played at a higher pace.

Next

Inb4 no specific traits/basketball abilities are posted.

chips93
09-03-2012, 07:35 PM
David Robinson

you used to have some classic nba game on youtube right? you gonna upload anymore? you had some great games, zeke and bernard's shootout in 84 iirc

ThunderStruk022
09-03-2012, 07:38 PM
Havlicek

Basketball Dirk
09-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Dirk may be the only player where a ring doesn't boost his position in these all time great legacy whatever rankings which are such bull shit anyways. :lol

BlackVVaves
09-03-2012, 07:50 PM
I said what specific abilities on the court. Not general bullshit like "better scorer" How was he a better scorer? What moves did he have that made him more efficient/better than a guy like Dirk? How was a better defender? He is smaller, weaker, and slower than Dirk. What specific defensive traits did he possess that Dirk doesnt have? Don't worry, I'll wait.

I want specifics kid, not general stats and conclusions one comes to from reading numbers off of a guys basketball-reference profile. His increased PPG and RPG stem from the simple fact that the game was played at a higher pace.

Next

Inb4 no specific traits/basketball abilities are posted.

No "specific traits" needed. Pettit has a better NBA resume, and dominated in his era in a more impactful way than Dirk has dominated his.

You know less about basketball than almost anyone I have come across on this board in the last 6 years. It's disgraceful. And by the way, I know it may be hard for you to fathom, but true basketball fans do more than sit on Basketball Reference all day. We watch footage, we read documentaries, we mull over articles from those times, and we actually draw upon a deep understanding of the game.

You're a horrid poster. One of the worst. How you haven't managed to get yourself banned yet is beyond me, but I'm certain the time will come. Every dumb dog has its day :oldlol:

Dirk deserved his NBA championship more than many, many greats that I can think of. He was just incredible in 2011. However, remove that NBA title, and some people would be hard-pressed putting Dirk in their Top 30, let alone Top 20. Take away Pettit's NBA title over the Boston Celtics in '58, and you're left with a career that is undoubtedly Top 20.

I'm done with you, go read a book or something little boy. Maybe you'll learn a thing or two.

Now where's that block list...

MiamiThrice
09-03-2012, 08:01 PM
No "specific traits" needed. Pettit has a better NBA resume, and dominated in his era in a more impactful way than Dirk has dominated his.

You know less about basketball than almost anyone I have come across on this board in the last 6 years. It's disgraceful. And by the way, I know it may be hard for you to fathom, but true basketball fans do more than sit on Basketball Reference all day. We watch footage, we read documentaries, we mull over articles from those times, and we actually draw upon a deep understanding of the game.

You're a horrid poster. One of the worst. How you haven't managed to get yourself banned yet is beyond me, but I'm certain the time will come. Every dumb dog has its day :oldlol:

Dirk deserved his NBA championship more than many, many greats that I can think of. He was just incredible in 2011. However, remove that NBA title, and some people would be hard-pressed putting Dirk in their Top 30, let alone Top 20. Take away Pettit's NBA title over the Boston Celtics in '58, and you're left with a career that is undoubtedly Top 20.

I'm done with you, go read a book or something little boy. Maybe you'll learn a thing or two.

Now where's that block list...

Stopped reading at .......
"No "specific traits" needed."

You felt the need to post a paragraph of who knows what,when the thing I asked and that proves Pettit > Nowitzki is left absent. Watching both of these guys in action anyone can see Nowitzki is clearly a more advanced and superior player.

Also I totally called you pussying out and not being able to name any specific traits. You clearly know nothing about Pettit other than his basketball reference stat lines and wikipedia information. Your lack of substance about his actual game proves it.

Next.

BlackVVaves
09-03-2012, 08:04 PM
This message is hidden because MiamiThrice is on your ignore list.

:dancin

magnax1
09-03-2012, 08:08 PM
David robinson

nycelt84
09-03-2012, 08:09 PM

Havlicek was the best player on 3 championship teams and has a strong case for being the best on a 4th. Havlicek was a better scorer and defender than Isiah as well as having more longevity than Isiah.

Notitlesince73
09-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Havlicek

Round Mound
09-03-2012, 08:56 PM
Which Malone do you refer to? Moses was better than Barkley IMO, but Karl vs Charles is definitly up for discussion/could go either way.

Moses was a Better Rebounder than Charles but thats About it. He wasn`t as Skilled, Created ilegal Defenses, Busted Zones, Created Missmatch Problems or had the All Around Game that Barkley had but Its Closer than Barkley vs K.Malone.

Barkley was Way Better at Almost Everything but FT Shooting and Post D.

- Barkley was The Better Pure Scorer and Shooter in the Mid Range (Malone got Better as the years passed though) and Post Player: See 2-Point FGs Made/Attempts and 2-Point FG%
- Barkley was the Better Rebounder
- Barkley Was the Better Creator of Offense...Offensively More of a Problem and Was Doubled More (called the Zone Buster, Created More Ilegal Defenses and Had More Defensive Rotations On Him For Fear of Fouling Out)
- Barkley was the Better Creator and Passer for Team Play than Malone Was (who`s creation came through Stockton and a System Designed For Him)
- Barkley was the Better Floor Defender, Stealer and Off Man Shot Blocker than Malone

Barkley Statistically is a Top 10 Player of All Time...Constantly Underrated here on ISH

Now Back to the Topic: I Think Rick Barry should be Taken More Into Consideration. Much Like Barkley in his Prime...He Was Hated by Everyone. That Kept Underrating Him

Mirko Cro Cop
09-03-2012, 09:01 PM
Dirk

iamgine
09-03-2012, 09:12 PM

Well Nikola Pekovic and Mo Williams are a hundred times better than George Mikan and Bob Cousy. But their rank is lower.

Deuce Bigalow
09-03-2012, 09:17 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/5099/5513520787_d4880b565e.jpg

Lordragoonx1x
09-03-2012, 09:24 PM
Isiah Thomas

Colbertnation64
09-03-2012, 09:24 PM
Mikan

rhythmic
09-03-2012, 09:39 PM
Mikan, can we at least try to keep things in perspective here and not vote for players you guys simply remember watching?

How on earth is a guy as dominant as Mikan (during his respective era) is not one of the top 20 players of All-Time?

Bob Pettit being 20th is probably even worse (he should be way higher, like 14th-15th).

pauk
09-03-2012, 10:03 PM
Ill go with one of the first point-forwards ever:

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/pics/55484_01_lg.jpg

BlackVVaves
09-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Hondo, Havlicek. What ever you may call him. Like I said earlier, he's the pick here.

Let's add some dignity back to this list.

KOBE143
09-03-2012, 10:31 PM
DRob

Deuce Bigalow
09-03-2012, 10:32 PM
DRob
Are you located in Kobe's heart?

ThatCoolKid
09-03-2012, 10:56 PM
Sabonis

Legends66NBA7
09-03-2012, 11:13 PM
Looks like a Michael "cabbage patch" Jordan fan created this list... Nothing but

a biased bunch of 90's cupcake fans that run Inside Hoops... :facepalm

How can you have Michael 90's cupcake Jordan over

Wilt Chamberlain, Larry Bird, Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson and Bill Russell?

Nothing but a bunch of Nike and ESPN fans that run this ish...

What up bumperboy sports. :oldlol:

WillC
09-03-2012, 11:24 PM
John Havlicek.

mrbigshot1
09-03-2012, 11:27 PM
Zeke

IGotACoolStory
09-03-2012, 11:32 PM
What up bumperboy sports. :oldlol:

lolol.

That dude was cracking me up on YT the other day.

StateOfMind12
09-04-2012, 12:08 AM
Dirk Nowitzki, he should have been voted a few spots again but oh well.

Deuce Bigalow
09-04-2012, 02:26 AM

Horsecock? :biggums:

pauk
09-04-2012, 02:43 AM
Horsecock? :biggums:

I assume they refer to Dirk Diggler from Boogie Nights... he had a... huge.. thing.. :)

Rolando
09-04-2012, 02:50 AM
Hondo!:cheers:

Horatio33
09-04-2012, 03:03 AM
John Havlicek.

po3try
09-04-2012, 03:47 AM
D-Rob!

kurple
09-04-2012, 06:48 AM
whats the score?

DirtySanchez
09-04-2012, 07:03 AM
Pippen

goldcrow
09-04-2012, 07:03 AM
Dirk Nowitzki.

JMT
09-04-2012, 11:50 AM

Stronger around the basket. Better frontcourt defender. Better getting to the FT line. Better rebounder. Entered the league and was immediately among the top players in the league.

My vote is John Havlicek.

Raz
09-04-2012, 12:15 PM
JOHN HAVLICEK
http://i.imgur.com/kHk2K.jpg
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/havlijo01.html

Deuce Bigalow
09-04-2012, 03:06 PM
#21 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops Voting

13- John Havlicek
7- Isiah Thomas
6- Dirk Nowitzki
6- David Robinson
4- George Mikan
1- Dwyane Wade
1- Rick Barry
1- Scottie Pippen

JellyBean
09-04-2012, 03:13 PM
No love for George Mikan?:confusedshrug: The first face of the league? The original dynasty maker? I can't wait to see who happens to become #22.

inclinerator
09-04-2012, 03:33 PM
jerry west