PDA

View Full Version : At their current states, who would you rather build around, Melo or Lin?

StateOfMind12
07-17-2012, 07:05 PM
Not starting out as rookies, but as of right now with how good they are right now and at their current states, would you rather build around Lin or Melo? You also have to deal with both of their current contracts as well so Lin's poison pill and Melo's max deal.

Who would you rather build around?

TheAesirsFinest
07-17-2012, 07:07 PM
Melo. Can you please change your title so that the question mark turns into a period because this isn't even a question.

niko
07-17-2012, 07:09 PM
Melo

I want Lin back badly but he's not a franchise talent.

D12"Magic"
07-17-2012, 07:10 PM
Come on really? Melo, quite simple

Zackmorris
07-17-2012, 07:11 PM
Melo.

28renyoy
07-17-2012, 07:12 PM
Starting from scratch? Lin

I'll be a lottery team and get a top 5 pick as well as not being destroyed by a 20 mm per year contract.

Sign a bunch of terrible 1 year contracts. Tank for #1 pick+expirers, draft Nerlens Noel. Trade 2014 #1 overall unprotected for Luol Deng. Sign Harden to max deal. Sign Andrew Bynum to max deal after he leaves Orlando. Fill team with role players over the next 2 years with mid level players

Lin
Harden
Deng
Noel
Bynum

That's a dynasty assuming Noel develops into his potential

I don't see it possible to build a championship team around Melo with the current CBA. His contract is too high and he's too much of a team cancer(well not cancer, just not a championship #1 option). I think I would have a better chance at a title with Lin. However if I'm just trying to win 45-50 games a year? Obviously Melo

AK47DR91
07-17-2012, 07:12 PM
Lin, easily.

$29M for 4 years vs $20.4M, $23.6M, $24.3M for each of the next three years?

The team would save $39.2M for the roster. You can get a Deron Williams and Dwight Howard for one season with that extra money.

TheMarkMadsen
07-17-2012, 07:15 PM
The guy who can dribble left.

The guy who has put up 20 ppg seasons for the past 8 years.

I'll pass on the guy who had a good 35 games.

After 35 games, Brandon Jennings looked like the second coming of Allen Iverson.

Lin hasn't proven anything.

At this point in their careers i still think Melo has more potential, what is Lin's ceiling? At best he's an above average point guard.

At best Melo is a player who can lead a team deep into the playoffs when he has the right pieces around him.

I'm taking MarshMellow

SilkkTheShocker
07-17-2012, 07:18 PM
Lin by far.

AMISTILLILL
07-17-2012, 07:19 PM
Stupid question. The guy who has proven he can play well for more than a handful of games.

Owl
07-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Not starting out as rookies, but as of right now with how good they are right now and at their current states, would you rather build around Lin or Melo? You also have to deal with both of their current contracts as well so Lin's poison pill and Melo's max deal.

Who would you rather build around?
Because you have to take contracts and Melo has a pre-CBA max I'd take Lin. I think it's very difficult to construct a winner around Melo (a star but not superstar level player, albeit with a superstar reputation/status/ego) on his current contract. Lin is likely to be good value his first couple of years and then even if he isn't he's not ruining your cap. The only year he's expensive he's an expiring contract and so still has value.

None of this is to say Melo is a bad player or that Lin is an exceptional one.

DStebb716
07-17-2012, 07:26 PM
Melo. Let's not get stupid.

StateOfMind12
07-17-2012, 07:26 PM
At this point in their careers i still think Melo has more potential, what is Lin's ceiling? At best he's an above average point guard.

Lin has more potential than Melo. Melo is not going to get any better than what he was in 2007 or 2010. He is done growing as a player. I seriously don't know what you expect him to get better in. He is always going to be this inefficient ball-stopper that does nothing to impact the game except for rebounding here and there.

Lin has potential to be much better than what he is whereas Melo is already in the decline and will only get worse from here on out.

Melo

I want Lin back badly but he's not a franchise talent.
Neither is Melo.

Ikill
07-17-2012, 07:29 PM
Starting from scratch? Lin

I'll be a lottery team and get a top 5 pick as well as not being destroyed by a 20 mm per year contract.

Sign a bunch of terrible 1 year contracts. Tank for #1 pick+expirers, draft Nerlens Noel. Trade 2014 #1 overall unprotected for Luol Deng. Sign Harden to max deal. Sign Andrew Bynum to max deal after he leaves Orlando. Fill team with role players over the next 2 years with mid level players

Lin
Harden
Deng
Noel
Bynum

That's a dynasty assuming Noel develops into his potential

I don't see it possible to build a championship team around Melo with the current CBA. His contract is too high and he's too much of a team cancer(well not cancer, just not a championship #1 option). I think I would have a better chance at a title with Lin. However if I'm just trying to win 45-50 games a year? Obviously Melo
Melos good enough to be a 1st option but he might not be good enough to be the clear cut best player

TheMarkMadsen
07-17-2012, 07:31 PM
Lin has more potential than Melo. Melo is not going to get any better than what he was in 2007 or 2010. He is done growing as a player. I seriously don't know what you expect him to get better in. He is always going to be this inefficient ball-stopper that does nothing to impact the game except for rebounding here and there.

Lin has potential to be much better than what he is whereas Melo is already in the decline and will only get worse from here on out.

Neither is Melo.

Even if Melo doesn't improve ( which i think he still easily has a chance to, IQ wise) he's still going to impact your franchise for the better than Jeremy Lin.

Outside of the media attention your team will be getting when people start wondering why you gave a run of the mill point guard all that money.

Sarcastic
07-17-2012, 07:31 PM
Melo has scored 20+ ppg, and made the playoffs every year of his career. There's not too many players in the league that you can say did that.

Levity
07-17-2012, 07:32 PM
before opening this thread, i could have guessed what trolls would have chosen lin.

sad to see i was right....

Tenchi Ryu
07-17-2012, 07:33 PM
Damn shame Melo gets disrespected to the level he does by fans.

eurobum
07-17-2012, 08:01 PM
smh. i like lin. but lin over melo smooooove? OP on dat PCP/angel dust!

coin24
07-17-2012, 08:22 PM
Retards out in full force on this one!:lol

Melo>>>>>>>>>>>>Lin.. Are you fu*king serious whoever said Lin?:facepalm
Lin will have the biggest bust of a season ever, total non factor...

Not surprising it's most of the geniuses that think tanking is the only option to get better also..:facepalm

Xiao Yao You
07-17-2012, 09:08 PM
Can't build around Carmelo. Lin maybe? We'll see.

sick_brah07
07-17-2012, 09:13 PM

After 35 games, Brandon Jennings looked like the second coming of Allen Iverson.

At best Melo is a player who can lead a team deep into the playoffs when he has the right pieces around him.

I'm taking MarshMellow

i agree with what your saying in total

but in the right situation and a few decent games

jennings can very well be the second coming of iverson

StateOfMind12
07-17-2012, 10:45 PM
Feel free to let me know a player who had his first 25 starts as the best 25 starts of his career.

I can't wait when Lin kills the Knicks like Nash would do to the Mavericks.

el gringos
07-17-2012, 10:57 PM
The idea that you can't build around Carmelo is wrong. It's just that it's never been attempted

The first step in building around Carmelo is a pf or c that can play the offensive role typically filled by a sf/sg. You are building around Carmelo if your pf was bargnani, Ryan Anderson, illyasova- that stretch 4 type

The exact opposite type of power forward to place next to Carmelo if you want his best is a Kenyon Martin or amare stoudimire type

InfiniteBaskets
07-17-2012, 11:01 PM

If you can build around Kevin Durant or Paul Pierce you can build around Carmelo Anthony.

nathanjizzle
07-17-2012, 11:05 PM
melo sux. its been 9 years..

midatlantic09
07-17-2012, 11:05 PM
I'm not a Carmelo fan, but I'll have to go with him (unfortunately).

FatComputerNerd
07-17-2012, 11:15 PM
I almost didn't open this thread, but I had to just to comment on what an idiotic question this is. :lol

StateOfMind12
07-17-2012, 11:15 PM
If you can build around Kevin Durant or Paul Pierce you can build around Carmelo Anthony.
That is a horrible comparison considering how Melo plays nothing like those two and not to mention is clearly inferior to the two of them.

I almost didn't open this thread, but I had to just to comment on what an idiotic question this is. :lol
Question was who to build around, not who was better.

IGotACoolStory
07-17-2012, 11:17 PM
Melo is overweight, though. His knees are going to give out soon enough.

Good news is that while Lin has Asia america behind his back, Melo has fat America behind his. There's a hell of a lot more fat people in America than Asians.

Draz
07-17-2012, 11:18 PM
If this is a question, I'm setting my house on fire.

InfiniteBaskets
07-17-2012, 11:46 PM
That is a horrible comparison considering how Melo plays nothing like those two and not to mention is clearly inferior to the two of them.

Why is Melo inferior to Pierce and Durant? Because he has less career accomplishments?

Put Melo on a team like the Spurs a few years back, or on the 2008/09/10 Celtics team I don't see why they cannot be competitive.

Building around Pierce and Durant are not as easy as building around LeBron James obviously, but if you can get the right pieces you can be a contender with Pierce/Durant/Melo as your "best" player.

StateOfMind12
07-17-2012, 11:49 PM
Why is Melo inferior to Pierce and Durant? Because he has less career accomplishments?
Because he isn't as good of a player as those two are.

Put Melo on a team like the Spurs a few years back, or on the 2008/09/10 Celtics team I don't see why they cannot be competitive.
Probably because he would stop all the ball-movement on the team when those two teams thrive on ball-movement. Not to mention that he can't impact the game in any other way other than his inefficient scoring/shooting. He is an average to above average rebounder and that is about it in terms of what he can do outside of scoring/shooting.

Building around Pierce and Durant are not as easy as building around LeBron James obviously, but if you can get the right pieces you can be a contender with Pierce/Durant/Melo as your "best" player.
Feel free to show me a team where Melo is the best player on a championship cause I can't think of one.

Melo is like Antoine Walker to me without the passing ability.

Xiao Yao You
07-17-2012, 11:49 PM

Arguable as to rather Pierce has been the best player in Boston and some might even say Westbrook is the best in Oklahoma. Can't see a team winning big with Carmelo as their best player.

InfiniteBaskets
07-18-2012, 12:05 AM
Feel free to show me a team where Melo is the best player on a championship cause I can't think of one.

Arguable as to rather Pierce has been the best player in Boston and some might even say Westbrook is the best in Oklahoma. Can't see a team winning big with Carmelo as their best player.

When I say a team winning with Melo as the "best" player I mean the media's definition of best. The idea that the best who receives the most hype, is the go to guy in the clutch, and generates the most highlight plays.

If you replace Durant with Melo and Westbrook with a healthy Deron Williams. More importantly you replace Scott Brooks with Popavic and implement a system where Melo can be a focal point of the offense without stopping ball movement you will have enough defense and rebounding between Ibaka, Perkins, and Thabo to contend. Melo would help with rebounding and isn't a bad defender. He gets to play within a system to utilize his offense skills efficiently and play hero as the go to guy.

Probably because he would stop all the ball-movement on the team when those two teams thrive on ball-movement.

Melo was actually one of the top offensively efficient performers on team USA in 2006 and 2008 in FIBA play. I know the style is different but I'm trying to say he had no problem playing within a team concept when you've got a system set up.

StateOfMind12
07-18-2012, 12:08 AM
If you replace Durant with Melo and Westbrook with a healthy Deron Williams.

There is your problem already and that is that Deron Williams would be the best player on that team. I understand what you're trying to highlight but I'm still not even sure if they could win a title anyways.

Melo was actually one of the top offensively efficient performers on team USA in 2006 and 2008 in FIBA play. I know the style is different but I'm trying to say he had no problem playing within a team concept when you've got a system set up.

I think the problem is that you don't realize that Melo is not as good as he use to be. He is not the same Melo he was in 2007 or 2010, not close really. He is already on the decline and he is only going to get worse from here on and out.

I mean, what do you really expect Melo to improve in?

I personally think Melo will be like what Amare was last season in two seasons from now or even next season.

We are talking about how Lin and Melo are at their current states you know so the future is involved here. I'm not saying pick a team to build around when they both start out as rookies, I'm saying as of right now if you could choose, would you rather build around Melo or Lin?

PejaNowitzki
07-18-2012, 12:17 AM
At this point in time? Lin easily because even if the team sucks balls, there's going to be a shitload of Asian tourists that show up at the games to fill up the stadium and buy craploads of merchandise, plus having a PG to distribute the ball is always preferable to having a chucker.

He'll put up stats but at this point in time he's basically Glenn Robinson. He's got Charles Barkley disease in that he prefers to sit back and chuck the ball all the time just like Barkley in the mid 90 when he fell in love with shooting jumpers and 3 pointers all the time.

He's not the impact player he used to be, he's not a guy you build a team around nor a guy who has proven he can lead a team through the playoffs. Sorry, dude is over like the last episode of 24. He'll get the stats, but he's never going to lead a team to the Finals like LeBron did and at worse he'll be a cancer around the locker room.

InfiniteBaskets
07-18-2012, 12:41 AM
There is your problem already and that is that Deron Williams would be the best player on that team. I understand what you're trying to highlight but I'm still not even sure if they could win a title anyways.

I think the problem is that you don't realize that Melo is not as good as he use to be. He is not the same Melo he was in 2007 or 2010, not close really. He is already on the decline and he is only going to get worse from here on and out.

I mean, what do you really expect Melo to improve in?

I personally think Melo will be like what Amare was last season in two seasons from now or even next season.

We are talking about how Lin and Melo are at their current states you know so the future is involved here. I'm not saying pick a team to build around when they both start out as rookies, I'm saying as of right now if you could choose, would you rather build around Melo or Lin?

I get it, but I wouldn't pick Lin for the sake of "building around" him. I consider building around a player meaning that, that player I'm building around would be the best player or at least the most significant player on my team. That means your other guys would have to all be at the Ibaka, Taj Gibson, Thabo level.

Sure if you mean, pick a guy going forward and do whatever you want with the team thereafter. why not pick Lin and then sign LeBron James?

TheBigVeto
07-18-2012, 12:58 AM
Lin.

Zedja
07-18-2012, 01:06 AM
The answer is easy. Yao Ming.

Droid101
07-18-2012, 01:14 AM
Lin had the best adjusted plus/minus on the Knicks this season, and he's just rounding into form.

Lin by a longshot.

Linspired
07-18-2012, 01:38 AM
Melo is a better talent, but it's obvious his style doesn't translate to W. it's 5 on 5, not 1 on 5. I would build a team around Lin, so he becomes the facilitator and emotional leader. i don't mind the TOs as long as Lin continues to attack the rim and finds open shooters or slashers. linsanity stretch was very short, but knicks played their best basketball in those stretch. having lin means everybody is sharing the ball, just pure joy to play ball because you know you will get the ball, and you know you will have a good time.

I LUV KOBE
07-18-2012, 01:41 AM
Not sure if serious.. Anyone who choose Lin over Melo are stupid..

PejaNowitzki
07-18-2012, 02:10 AM
Not sure if serious.. Anyone who choose Lin over Melo are stupid..

I think its pretty valid, Carmelo puts up a nice stat-line, but does that really translate into wins? Shit the Knicks played their BEST basketball of the year with him being injured and out of the lineup. He's great for fantasy basketball but hasn't proven that he can pull a team through sheer will, hell I think New York downgraded big time when they traded for him.

Good stats guy, not good wins guy. I'll take a player who distributes the ball and gets everyone involved, maximizing the talents of lesser players vs a huge black hole which swallows up the basketball, only to never be seen again. Like another poster said, if you need to play some 1 on 1 or NBA Jam, Carmelo definitely gets a slot, but 5 on 5, I'll take the guy who gets everyone involved leading to better overall team results.

When Lin was in everyone stepped up their game big-time and made plays because they knew they would be rewarded, once Lin went out you saw the change and the loss of intensity in guys playing, what's the point if you get to stand around watching a dude play 1 on 5 all the time, at least with Kobe he's a proven winner, Carmelo has been in the league for 8 years and has done jack and shit as far as the playoffs go.

I LUV KOBE
07-18-2012, 02:19 AM
I think its pretty valid, Carmelo puts up a nice stat-line, but does that really translate into wins? Shit the Knicks played their BEST basketball of the year with him being injured and out of the lineup. He's great for fantasy basketball but hasn't proven that he can pull a team through sheer will, hell I think New York downgraded big time when they traded for him.

Good stats guy, not good wins guy. I'll take a player who distributes the ball and gets everyone involved, maximizing the talents of lesser players vs a huge black hole which swallows up the basketball, only to never be seen again. Like another poster said, if you need to play some 1 on 1 or NBA Jam, Carmelo definitely gets a slot, but 5 on 5, I'll take the guy who gets everyone involved leading to better overall team results.
Did you forgot what melo did when he still a nuggets? Multiple 50+ season win, PO appearance each season and top 5 scorer every season compare that to Lin who only played 10 good games and already got injured.. Will you still take Lin over Melo? Are some people here really that stupid?

TOUCH MY BODY
07-18-2012, 02:24 AM
Linsanity #1.

d.bball.guy
07-18-2012, 02:29 AM
Better question, Yi or Felton?

ripthekik
07-18-2012, 02:30 AM
I'd pick Lin.

You obviously don't have to pay him Melo money. Which means you have the money to go after another superstar that actually fits with him. Lin with another star and role players, have a chance of playing good basketball.

With Melo, the ceiling is there. He can score, isolate, but that's all you're gonna get. What's the point of building a team around a shot-jacker? Just surround him with scrubs and it's the same thing. Melo is not a winner.

StateOfMind12
07-18-2012, 02:37 AM
I consider building around a player meaning that, that player I'm building around would be the best player or at least the most significant player on my team. That means your other guys would have to all be at the Ibaka, Taj Gibson, Thabo level.

I think it's the same way as well and I still would rather go with Lin. Lin has the potential to be an all-star and honestly the potential to be better than Melo ever was.

I still think Lin would make a better 2nd/3rd or any other option than Melo as well but I expect it's a given since everyone knows Melo is useless when he is not scoring.

I expect Lin to be better than Melo two seasons from now due to a combination of Melo's regression and Lin's progression.

Linspired
07-18-2012, 02:43 AM
Did you forgot what melo did when he still a nuggets? Multiple 50+ season win, PO appearance each season and top 5 scorer every season compare that to Lin who only played 10 good games and already got injured.. Will you still take Lin over Melo? Are some people here really that stupid?

we know what we are getting from melo. stats with no substance. it's been 9 years man. we know who melo is. it's highly likely he will turn things around. i think it's all down hill for melo. his career will resemble tmac's.

i'll gamble with Lin and hope for him to be a stud. if Lin fails, then i'll just go get a new PG of the future 3 years later.

PejaNowitzki
07-18-2012, 03:11 AM

How many Finals did he lead those teams to? None. Ah, okay. How about Conference Finals? One time in like 8 years? How many times did the Nuggets get out of the first round? Once in 8 years? The Knicks played better WITHOUT him last year? Wow. Denver was still winning games even after trading his ass away?

Bottomline, Carmelo is stats, that's all he's been, that's all he's ever going to be, he's not a winner, he gets his and who gives a **** what anyone else on the team does. If you're happy with stats and a team that doesn't go anywhere, well, he's your guy for sure then.

I LUV KOBE
07-18-2012, 03:19 AM
How many Finals did he lead those teams to? None. Ah, okay. How about Conference Finals? One time in like 8 years? How many times did the Nuggets get out of the first round? Once in 8 years? The Knicks played better WITHOUT him last year? Wow. Denver was still winning games even after trading his ass away?

Bottomline, Carmelo is stats, that's all he's been, that's all he's ever going to be, he's not a winner, he gets his and who gives a **** what anyone else on the team does. If you're happy with stats and a team that doesn't go anywhere, well, he's your guy for sure then.
:facepalm

How about Lin? :confusedshrug:

PejaNowitzki
07-18-2012, 04:03 AM

Lin's irrelevant to the equation other than the fact that he's good for bringing in a shitload of money and is huge with the Asian demographic.

I'm looking at Carmelo as a dead end, if he's not a winner and I'm going to have to pay him an insane amount of money, I'd much rather roll the dice with someone younger who hasn't reached their ceiling yet and have the flexibility to add other players down the road.

If you go with Carmelo and make him your "guy", then you accept that your team will go as far as he can take you, which is nowhere.

WockaVodka
07-18-2012, 04:27 AM

I'm pretty sure his point is that we know Melo can't get you anywhere whereas we don't know if that is the case with Lin yet.

So your options are

A player that is guaranteed to not win you anything

or

A player that could win you something or could give you nothing and become worse than the other player.

I would build around Lin just because I am sold with him but he'll have to prove everyone else.

LJJ
07-18-2012, 04:32 AM
If we are ignoring the money issue obviously Melo.

But I'd rather have Lin at 5 million over the next two seasons than Anthony at 20+ million, if Im starting a new squad from scratch.

LakersForlife
07-18-2012, 08:21 AM
melo already reached his peak and declining fast i dont get why his in team USA Gay should be a good fit.

so LIN

AK47DR91
07-18-2012, 08:24 AM
If we are ignoring the money issue obviously Melo.

But I'd rather have Lin at 5 million over the next two seasons than Anthony at 20+ million, if Im starting a new squad from scratch.
Looking at the Rockets roster, it is as if they're starting from scratch. :lol

Snoop_Cat
07-18-2012, 10:53 AM
Because he isn't as good of a player as those two are.

Probably because he would stop all the ball-movement on the team when those two teams thrive on ball-movement. Not to mention that he can't impact the game in any other way other than his inefficient scoring/shooting. He is an average to above average rebounder and that is about it in terms of what he can do outside of scoring/shooting.

To start off, comparing Lin to Carmelo is just asinine. I absolutely loved Lin, heck I even that fellow Asian bias thing going on, but there is absolutely zero chance that I'm taking him over Carmelo. I'm not even saying Carmelo is some amazing franchise player, but I am saying that Carmelo is the obvious choice 10/10.

Carmelo is no LeBron but he gets it consistently done at a very respectable level - not many players can average 20-25PPG+ consistently despite constant double teams.

Carmelo's got a bad rap for being iso-heavy but in particular looking at the previous years' Knicks rosters - how can you not go iso-heavy. Not a single damn guy can create his own shot except JR. People blame Carmelo for Amare's drop - how about the fact that he takes a ton of jumpers that he never hits, we didn't have a PG that could run the PnR until Lin (the only thing Amare's good at), Amare was hurt which limited his already limited driving game that was based on athleticism, etc).

To make things short, Carmelo HAS to ball hog cause the rest of the team is putrid offensively and can't do sh*t when properly guarded in 1-1 situations.

Jeremy Lin, sure he that good run AND I do think that the Knicks were dumb to not match. But he's a f*cking slashing 2, not a point. Case in point: he's got awful handles relatively speaking - once people started figuring him out, his stat line started to droop and he had a hard time doing things like getting the freaking ball across the half court line. Despite his good assist numbers, he's really not a good passer.

I saw basically every Linsanity game - his passes are extremely predictable which is why combined with his very poor dribbling caused the massive number of turnovers. He would have the ball the vast majority of the game - a few highlight passes and good assist numbers are a gimme from the PG spot with that much ball handling, it's not indicative of his actual passing ability.

He's still a terrific slasher and finisher but he is not better than Carmelo in any regard.

07-18-2012, 10:58 AM
Even though he is asian and I am White, I still enjoy watching Jeremy Lin, the asian player.

But he is no franchise player to build around. I can see Lin being an effective 6th man for a contender. I don't think his asian body is durable (or 2 small pen1s) or as strong as a White or black man's body.

Melo is the lesser of the evil between the two.

PejaNowitzki
07-18-2012, 11:11 AM
To start off, comparing Lin to Carmelo is just asinine. I absolutely loved Lin, heck I even that fellow Asian bias thing going on, but there is absolutely zero chance that I'm taking him over Carmelo. I'm not even saying Carmelo is some amazing franchise player, but I am saying that Carmelo is the obvious choice 10/10.

Carmelo is no LeBron but he gets it consistently done at a very respectable level - not many players can average 20-25PPG+ consistently despite constant double teams.

Carmelo's got a bad rap for being iso-heavy but in particular looking at the previous years' Knicks rosters - how can you not go iso-heavy. Not a single damn guy can create his own shot except JR. People blame Carmelo for Amare's drop - how about the fact that he takes a ton of jumpers that he never hits, we didn't have a PG that could run the PnR until Lin (the only thing Amare's good at), Amare was hurt which limited his already limited driving game that was based on athleticism, etc).

To make things short, Carmelo HAS to ball hog cause the rest of the team is putrid offensively and can't do sh*t when properly guarded in 1-1 situations.

Jeremy Lin, sure he that good run AND I do think that the Knicks were dumb to not match. But he's a f*cking slashing 2, not a point. Case in point: he's got awful handles relatively speaking - once people started figuring him out, his stat line started to droop and he had a hard time doing things like getting the freaking ball across the half court line. Despite his good assist numbers, he's really not a good passer.

I saw basically every Linsanity game - his passes are extremely predictable which is why combined with his very poor dribbling caused the massive number of turnovers. He would have the ball the vast majority of the game - a few highlight passes and good assist numbers are a gimme from the PG spot with that much ball handling, it's not indicative of his actual passing ability.

He's still a terrific slasher and finisher but he is not better than Carmelo in any regard.

Once again, Carmelo is about stats, he always has been, that and a 1st round exit in the playoffs. If you're happy with 40-45 wins and a 1st round exit every year, that's the sort of mediocrity that Carmelo inspires in spades.

Guy with potential vs the known quantity with a limited ceiling, like I said before, Carmelo is basicaly Glenn Robinson at this point in his career, to happy to take bad jumpshots and hang out at the perimeter, will get his, but doesn't get his teammates involved so everyone just stands around and watches him operate, offense has no flow...etc.

PejaNowitzki
07-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Even though he is asian and I am White, I still enjoy watching Jeremy Lin, the asian player.

But he is no franchise player to build around. I can see Lin being an effective 6th man for a contender. I don't think his asian body is durable (or 2 small pen1s) or as strong as a White or black man's body.

Melo is the lesser of the evil between the two.

http://s1.static.gotsmile.net/images/2011/05/10/cookie-monster-wtf-this_130497604469.jpg

longtime lurker
07-18-2012, 12:47 PM
I question the sanity of any one who chooses Jeremy Lin.

Ikill
07-18-2012, 02:04 PM
Once again, Carmelo is about stats, he always has been, that and a 1st round exit in the playoffs. If you're happy with 40-45 wins and a 1st round exit every year, that's the sort of mediocrity that Carmelo inspires in spades.

Guy with potential vs the known quantity with a limited ceiling, like I said before, Carmelo is basicaly Glenn Robinson at this point in his career, to happy to take bad jumpshots and hang out at the perimeter, will get his, but doesn't get his teammates involved so everyone just stands around and watches him operate, offense has no flow...etc.
No your wrong when Melo gets his stats it means he is playing good and when he is playing good his teams win. His problem isnt impact its consistency

bagelred
08-06-2012, 03:14 AM
:coleman: :coleman: :coleman:

LakersForlife
08-06-2012, 09:36 PM
lin

IGOTGAME
08-06-2012, 09:48 PM
I think it's the same way as well and I still would rather go with Lin. Lin has the potential to be an all-star and honestly the potential to be better than Melo ever was.

I still think Lin would make a better 2nd/3rd or any other option than Melo as well but I expect it's a given since everyone knows Melo is useless when he is not scoring.

I expect Lin to be better than Melo two seasons from now due to a combination of Melo's regression and Lin's progression.

Jeremy Lin is useless without the ball in his hands. Unless several point guards get hurt or die he will never be on an all star team based on merit.

Oh. and the whole useless when not scoring is the same argument people used to make against Kobe and Dirk. We see how that went.

Mr. Incredible
08-06-2012, 09:50 PM
Lol

AK47DR91
08-06-2012, 09:54 PM
Jeremy Lin is useless without the ball in his hands.
Rubio fits this bill more so than Lin.

IGOTGAME
08-06-2012, 09:55 PM
Rubio fits this bill more so than Lin.

Rubio is good enough to warrant having the ball in his hands. If you aren't on that level as a decision maker and generator of offense than you can't be built around. It is very similar with Rondo. Lin isn't on that level as a playmaker or decision maker.

StateOfMind12
08-06-2012, 10:30 PM
Oh. and the whole useless when not scoring is the same argument people used to make against Kobe and Dirk. We see how that went.
It isn't the same because Kobe was the best all-around player before Lebron emerged in 2009. Nobody was a better all-around player than Kobe was from 2001-2008.

As for Dirk? It is true that he is almost useless with scoring but the difference between him and Melo is that Dirk is super efficient and super consistent, two things that Melo lacks.

kobron23
08-06-2012, 10:35 PM

I'm taking MarshMellow

did you just say melo could lead a team DEEP into the playoffs?? something hes never done lmao