PDA

View Full Version : How Good Was Chris Mullin?

Clippersfan86
07-15-2012, 03:29 PM
I didn't watch him more than a handful of times on tape and this is a question I'd like answered. When we watch footage/stats he looks like a beast but when discussing top SG's and SF's I never hear him mentioned.

Over a 5 season stretch he averaged 25.6 ppg. What's more is when you look at his career numbers he did more than just score. Career 4.5 rpg and 4 apg to go with nearly 2 steals a game. He also had elite shooting efficiency from all over the floor.

Anybody putting up 25.5 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 4 apg and 2 steals on elite shooting now would be an all star starter probably. So let me ask those who watched a lot of him live. How good was Chris Mullin? How come he's never talked about?

Punpun
07-15-2012, 03:38 PM
Because that's all he was ? An All-star.

Calabis
07-15-2012, 03:38 PM
I didn't watch him more than a handful of times on tape and this is a question I'd like answered. When we watch footage/stats he looks like a beast but when discussing top SG's and SF's I never hear him mentioned.

Over a 5 season stretch he averaged 25.6 ppg. What's more is when you look at his career numbers he did more than just score. Career 4.5 rpg and 4 apg to go with nearly 2 steals a game. He also had elite shooting efficiency from all over the floor.

Anybody putting up 25.5 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 4 apg and 2 steals on elite shooting now would be an all star starter probably. So let me ask those who watched a lot of him live. How good was Chris Mullin? How come he's never talked about?

Truth, because he's white and most of todays youth, would say he couldn't play in todays league because of these so called next gen athletes....:rolleyes:

Clippersfan86
07-15-2012, 03:40 PM
Truth, because he's white and most of todays youth, would say he couldn't play in todays league because of these so called next gen athletes....:rolleyes:

:(

Punpun
07-15-2012, 03:41 PM
Ya didn't even comment on my comment on Griffin after you dissed me, pal. Not sport.

Hornetsfan86
07-15-2012, 03:42 PM
My girlfriend wants me to get his haircut. What do I ask for?

Clippersfan86
07-15-2012, 03:44 PM

A flat top. You should go with Wesley Snipes one from Demolition Man.

Punpun

A refund.

Clippersfan86
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_PNzmZtaP0zo/TNjmZzC3I5I/AAAAAAAAAB8/wgLZ0gRV_4Q/s1600/DemolitionMan34.jpeg

Cali Syndicate
07-15-2012, 03:53 PM
Like an " upper class" Larry bird when he was healthy.

Overall very good shooter, automatic mid-range.

Savvy offensive player, crafty passer.

Pretty good defender, not great but better than "decent."

Very good IQ.

Injuries began his decline after a 5 straight seasons of 25ppg over 50%. His first few seasons battled with alcohol abuse.

I find it funny how some people don't think he deserved the Hall. Dude had an amazing basketball career - amateur, international and professional.

L.Kizzle
07-15-2012, 04:07 PM
He was boderline top 10 in those years.

MisterAmazing
07-15-2012, 04:07 PM
fan86-ception. :eek:

KungFuJoe
07-15-2012, 04:17 PM
Poor man's Larry Bird...which considering Larry Bird is an ATG, is not too shabby.

AK47DR91
07-15-2012, 04:19 PM
5 consecutive seasons of 25+ PPG on 50+% shooting from a SG/SF is unheard of. :eek:

15yearmagicfan
07-15-2012, 04:20 PM
Different league, different players and mentality. Scoring was the way to go especially on that team! Inflated numbers resulted, but he was a great player. I don't know about dream teamer but what the hell..

swi7ch
07-15-2012, 04:52 PM
He was so good he was banking shots off a parking lot wall at like age 45 and hitting nothing but net!

Living Being
07-15-2012, 07:03 PM
He was basically a ghetto-sounding white guy with infinite fundamentals and 50 years old in the face.

L.Kizzle
07-15-2012, 07:12 PM
LeBron will do it.
Mullin was doin it taking four 4's a game and not bulldozing his way in the lane.

AK47DR91
07-15-2012, 07:14 PM
Yeah, I meant in terms of 25 PPG while shooting 50+% from mostly a perimeter shooting range.

kurt_rambis
07-15-2012, 07:59 PM
carmelo anthony with better judgement

Smoke117
07-15-2012, 08:10 PM
A lot of people should remember that 5 year stretch he had, besides the last one where he only played 46 games, the Warriors were either 1 or 2 in pace so he was getting a lot of easy baskets and assists just from that.

Xiao Yao You
07-15-2012, 08:23 PM
mini-Bird

Sarcastic
07-15-2012, 08:39 PM
Played best when he was drunk.

Shepseskaf
07-15-2012, 09:12 PM
I've watched Mullin play since his days in St. Johns, with Walter Berry. He's a top 5 pure shooter in league history, imo. Give him the space, and he would kill you from distance. Deadly accurate.

He wasn't the most athletically gifted player, but was very, very smart and underrated defensively. Like Bird, he would come up with so many key deflections and other things that didn't fill a stat sheet, but helped his team to win.

He would do very well in today's NBA. Think of a better, smarter version of Kyle Korver, and understand how many teams need consistent outside shooting.

L.Kizzle
07-15-2012, 09:14 PM
How would y'all rank Run-TMC individually in their seasons together?

Derrick
07-15-2012, 09:21 PM
I've watched Mullin play since his days in St. Johns, with Walter Berry. He's a top 5 pure shooter in league history, imo. Give him the space, and he would kill you from distance. Deadly accurate.

He wasn't the most athletically gifted player, but was very, very smart and underrated defensively. Like Bird, he would come up with so many key deflections and other things that didn't fill a stat sheet, but helped his team to win.

He would do very well in today's NBA. Think of a better, smarter version of Kyle Korver, and understand how many teams need consistent outside shooting.
:biggums:

noosaman
07-15-2012, 09:44 PM

LOL

Cali Syndicate
07-15-2012, 09:47 PM
Think of a better, smarter version of Kyle Korver, and understand how many teams need consistent outside shooting.

Why would you say that?

Shepseskaf
07-15-2012, 09:53 PM
Why would you say that?
What's mysterious? Their playing styles are similar, but Mullin was much better.

FatComputerNerd
07-15-2012, 09:58 PM
He was on the Dream Team for a reason, and was unarguably the best player from Run-TMC.

Amazing Chris Mullin Career Retrospective: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7mQ9jHSGAE

D.J.
07-15-2012, 10:55 PM
He was scary good. Prior to LeBron in '10, Mullin was the last perimeter player to average 25 PPG on 50% shooting('93). Mullin had a 5 year stretch where he averaged 25 PPG on 50% shooting EVERY YEAR. His mid-range J was automatic, he was a good ball handler, could pass, was an underrated defender, and a very efficient scorer. He was a lot like Larry Bird in that he wasn't terribly athletic, but his superior ball IQ more than made up for it. Very few players in NBA history have had a higher ball IQ than Mullin.

1992-93 looked like it was going to be Mullin's best season. That season was when he started to become a deadly three point shooter. He was averaging 26/5/4 on 51/45/81. Unfortunately, he never played after early February.

Lamar Odom, had he lived up to his potential, could have been a black Chris Mullin. Odom was actually a slightly better playmaker, a better rebounder, but was a huge underachiever in just about every other aspect of the game.

But to answer your question, Mullin was one of the best SF of all time when he was healthy and from '89-'93.

Cali Syndicate
07-15-2012, 11:01 PM
What's mysterious? Their playing styles are similar, but Mullin was much better.

Mullin was far more than just a spot up shooter. Far more.

Xiao Yao You
07-15-2012, 11:05 PM

Korver is more than just a spot-up shooter too at least he was with the Jazz. He was great coming off screens as well.

D.J.
07-15-2012, 11:08 PM
Korver is more than just a spot-up shooter too at least he was with the Jazz. He was great coming off screens as well.

Can Korver create for himself? Can he create for others? Play point forward at times? Get to the line 6-7 times a game? Defend?

Shepseskaf
07-15-2012, 11:16 PM
Which is why I said he was better than Korver. I didn't elaborate on that, but what I was thinking of were the other aspects of Mullin's game, such as ball handling, passing, etc.

The reason I compared the two of them is because both are primarily known as shooters. The fact that Mullin had a much more well-rounded game accounts for the fact that hes in the HoF, and Korver will never get there.

jn2rons
07-15-2012, 11:37 PM
carmelo anthony with better judgement

Close.... I'm trying to think of someone but it's tough, as he wasn't very big or athletic. Plus being a lefty made him "look" a little different. The obvious comparison is a smaller Larry Bird.

I think Paul Pierce is a fair comparison, with a sprinkle of Ginobli??

I remember Run TMC being really nice, used them a lot on the old EA bball series... Bulls vs. Blazers game (I think) that had Hardaway doing a nice crossover layup.

D.J.
07-15-2012, 11:47 PM
I was actually thinking Lamar Odom with better judgment. Lamar's game(as idiotic as it may be at times) is much closer to Mullin's game than Carmelo's is.

Shepseskaf
07-16-2012, 06:57 AM
To my mind, none of these comparisons are very good. Although he could do many other things well, Mullin was primarily known as a pure shooter.

The main reason he was invited to be part of the Dream Team is because of his ability to be a sharp-shooting zone-buster, not because of his playmaking or defensive skills.

Odom is not a shooter at even close to Mullin's level. Melo is a scorer, not a shooter. So are Pierce and Ginobili. I really couldn't think of a SF whose game was known for pure shooting, and Korver came to mind. Maybe that isn't the best comparison; perhaps someone like Glen Rice would be better.

pauk
07-16-2012, 07:25 AM
He was a better overall player than any pure shooter not called Larry Bird.... thats how good he was....

How come he is never talked about, because he is white? :D
Nah, but he simply just wasnt so accomplished, didnt make any noise at all.... Larry was white to, but that guy was also the best white guy ever and one of the most significant/important players in NBA history....

willds09
07-16-2012, 07:26 AM
lethal scorer and shooter, couldnt stand him when he was cheating with tha pacers back in tha day tho

iguana
07-16-2012, 07:30 AM
man i ****ing loved watching Mullin. what a great player he was.

blacknapalm
07-16-2012, 07:35 AM
his mid-range was money but he wasn't just relegated to spot up shooting. he could put the ball on the floor and score going to his left or right. he was capable of a couple quick dribbles and pulling up. i think the most frustrating thing for defenders was that he he would just nail difficult contested shots. he had a knack of finding the crease in the defense, elevating quickly and high. coming off curls was a challenge defensively because he had suck a quick release. he also had a floater in the paint he utilized. mullin was deceptively strong and could finish with contact. he had a full offensive repertoire. he had good balance in his game as well. you can't really label him as a volume shooter as he only shot the ball more than 20 times once in his career.

on defense, his quick hands allowed him to compete. he was sort of like kidd in that regard though obviously kidd was better at his position overall. so ya, he was legit...borderline top 50-60 player imo. only reason he may not be was because injuries derailed him.

rawimpact
07-16-2012, 07:51 AM
top 3 of all time

Xiao Yao You
07-16-2012, 07:51 AM
The main reason he was invited to be part of the Dream Team is because of his ability to be a sharp-shooting zone-buster, not because of his playmaking or defensive skills.

The main reason is because he was one of the elite players in the league and deserved to be there.

I LUV KOBE
07-16-2012, 08:01 AM
Poor man's Ashton Kutcher

Shepseskaf
07-16-2012, 08:16 AM
The main reason is because he was one of the elite players in the league and deserved to be there.
Duh! All Dream Team members were "elite" and deserved to be there, with the exception of Laettner.

Among the elite players in the league, Mullin was specifically asked to be on the team because of his abilities as a pure shooter.

Is that difficult to understand?