PDA

View Full Version : Stephen A says Lebron is more skilled than Michael Jordan

RoseCity07
06-21-2012, 05:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWiq9iApCXw

At the 4:48 mark.

Are you f*cking kidding me:facepalm

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/nbacardDOTnet/zz%20NBA%20Photo%20Gallery/z%20Funny%20NBA%20Photos/Others%20Masterpiece/0%20queen%20lebron%20james/jordan-lebron-airball-miss.gif

Do any of you actually agree with this?

blablabla
06-21-2012, 05:17 PM
Pippen and smith have both implied that Jordan has company. I would say it is close. Jordan had that one go 2 shot you could count on. But to be honest, King James can do even more things.
no he cant

kuzdeen
06-21-2012, 05:19 PM
I think his trying to make up for the bad comments he had to say about lebron after they lost last seasons finals. I remember he called him all types of names, he's prolly eating his words now.

DCL
06-21-2012, 05:20 PM
stephen a is getting old and already has amnesia.

PickernRoller
06-21-2012, 05:20 PM
Lol....:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: heard it all now...SIMPLY NO. Can we please let the GOAT be at peace.

I think his trying to make up for the bad comments he had to say about lebron after they lost last seasons finals. I remember he called him all types of names, he's prolly eating his words now.

Nothing short of the truth, he choked, lacked heart and basically lost his team the title. Criticism deserved with all the exclamation marks......nothing wrong with Lebron working on his game this year and doing a 360 turn from last year.

NumberSix
06-21-2012, 05:21 PM
Did you guys know that Michael Jordan shot 100% for his career? Did you know he never got scored on a single time?

DuMa
06-21-2012, 05:22 PM
show should be renamed first troll. its the first troll that gets their idiotic statements repeated by the internet public for 5 seconds of fame.

chazzy
06-21-2012, 05:22 PM
http://vicorientation.ca/site/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/AndHereWeGo.gif

Batz
06-21-2012, 05:23 PM
Fire this dumbass already. Atleast Skip gets entertaining with his shit.

Bladers
06-21-2012, 05:27 PM
you mean the guy who travels every posession? the guy who you could call a legitimate traveling/double dribble on every possesion?

the guy who can't shoot to save his life...

IS THIS THE GUY HE'S TALKING ABOUT?

Legends66NBA7
06-21-2012, 05:28 PM
This whole skill thing is such a vague concept.

How a player impacts a game from start to end, is what should really matter.

keep-itreal
06-21-2012, 05:33 PM
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/nbacardDOTnet/zz%20NBA%20Photo%20Gallery/z%20Funny%20NBA%20Photos/Others%20Masterpiece/0%20queen%20lebron%20james/jordan-lebron-airball-miss.gif

:roll:

SpecialQue
06-21-2012, 05:34 PM
Thread title should be "Professional Troll Makes Another Retarded Comment."

DirtySanchez
06-21-2012, 05:35 PM
This is not a stretch guys...you all know I hate LeBron but I got to agree.
I think LeBron is the most naturally gifted player ever.

But Jordan's work ethic...B-ball mind...Competitiveness...all trump LeBron by a long shot.

Inspector Rick
06-21-2012, 05:35 PM
I think it's a combination of Lebrons size and ability to make on point flashy passes that will lead someone to this type of face value opinion. Good for Smith, but he's wrong.

Fudge
06-21-2012, 05:37 PM
Did you guys know that Michael Jordan shot 100% for his career? Did you know he never got scored on a single time?
Give it up to the only person in the entire world that would agree with what he said. :applause:

Pauk and LeBron23's retarded ass probably wouldn't reach.

DirtySanchez
06-21-2012, 05:38 PM
I think it's a combination of Lebrons size and ability to make on point flashy passes that will lead someone to this type of face value opinion. Good for Smith, but he's wrong.

LeBron weakness is his footwork in the post....mid range shots....not really a lock down defender more of a roamer on dee.

Jordan was great at all these things.

pauk
06-21-2012, 05:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWiq9iApCXw

At the 4:48 mark.

Are you f*cking kidding me:facepalm

Do any of you actually agree with this?

you could very much argue/debate it...

Due to those skills at that size he can be your:

24-7-11 PG
35-7-5 SG
30-7-7 SF
30-10-5 PF/C

then you consider his defense, he can do the same there and guard any position...

You could not say all this about Jordan or anybody else in NBA history... Pippen was that versatile defensively and nobody was that versatile offensively, closest one would be Magic i guess...

Not saying Lebron > Jordan... but saying that the thought of somebody thinking Lebron being more talented or whatever than Jordan should NOT be onoxious...

As far that GIF goes... useless, you can make Jordan look like a retard aswell with his misses/mistakes what not...

Da_Realist
06-21-2012, 05:41 PM
ESPN is just drumming up interest to lead into the next Finals game. ESPN has become unwatchable outside of the games.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-21-2012, 05:41 PM
I think Lebron is more versatile and does more to impact a game than he did, whereas MJ was more dominant in the way he approached the game...if that makes any sense? Lebron gives you the rebounding, scoring, assists, and defense; Mike gave you HIGH scoring, elite defense, and playmaking.

What really separates them though are intangibles. Jordan was by far the better crunch-time player and leader.

SpecialQue
06-21-2012, 05:42 PM
Someone needs to post a gif of Jordan's missed dunk.

neilio23
06-21-2012, 05:44 PM
Why do people care what Stephen A says?

pegasus
06-21-2012, 05:45 PM
you mean the guy who travels every posession? the guy who you could call a legitimate traveling/double dribble on every possesion?

the guy who can't shoot to save his life...

IS THIS THE GUY HE'S TALKING ABOUT?

This x1000.

He's got tremendous athletic talents, and his court vision is an elite skill, but what else does he have?

Just because he is more skilled than people his size, doesn't mean he is comparable to someone highly-skilled like prime Ginobili or prime Paul Pierce, let alone Jordan or Kobe.

PickernRoller
06-21-2012, 05:45 PM

Cred when making an argument...Pauk above.

Jameerthefear
06-21-2012, 05:46 PM
http://nsa25.casimages.com/img/2011/01/28/110128110119205578.gif
damn look at that post move.

pegasus
This is not a stretch guys...you all know I hate LeBron but I got to agree.
I think LeBron is the most naturally gifted player ever.

But Jordan's work ethic...B-ball mind...Competitiveness...all trump LeBron by a long shot.

That's "talent". We're talking about "skills".

DirtySanchez

Ummmm because he yells?

Bigsmoke
06-21-2012, 05:47 PM
LeBron is aight he aight he aight he cool he cool but MJ IS MORE JON BLAZE THAN THAT!!

Da_Realist
06-21-2012, 05:48 PM
Yes, you could very much argue/debate it...

As far that GIF goes... useless, you can make Jordan look like a retard aswell with his misses/mistakes what not...

More skilled? Not really. MJ had better footwork, better post game, better mid range game, was better attacking the rim in a half court set, better off the ball movement, better off hand, better jumpshot, better man/help defender and better finishing around the rim (which includes making difficult shots if the defender is protecting the rim -- not just dunks). Dude was a surgeon out there.

PickernRoller
06-21-2012, 05:49 PM
More skilled? Not really. MJ had better footwork, better post game, better mid range game, was better attacking the rim in a half court set, better off the ball movement, better off hand, better jumpshot, better man and help defender and betterl finishing around the rim (which includes making difficult shots if the defender is protecting the rim -- not just dunks). Dude was a surgeon out there.

Don't do him like that...:roll: :roll:

Magic 32
06-21-2012, 05:51 PM
Well, T-mac was probably more natuelly gifted than Jordan. Who cares.

Euroleague
06-21-2012, 05:52 PM
Stephen Assinine Smith is a racist, loud mouthed clown.

neilio23
06-21-2012, 05:53 PM
Ummmm because he yells?

Right, my bad. Anything shouted is thread worthy.

General
06-21-2012, 05:54 PM
Don't watch ESPN. They have an agenda. They are trying to create another MJ. They're already saying Lebron only needs 3 rings for him to be compared to MJ:oldlol: That network is a joke.

Bladers
06-21-2012, 05:55 PM
More skilled? Not really. MJ had better footwork, better post game, better mid range game, was better attacking the rim in a half court set, better off the ball movement, better off hand, better jumpshot, better man/help defender and better finishing around the rim (which includes making difficult shots if the defender is protecting the rim -- not just dunks). Dude was a surgeon out there.

...continued... better ball handling, better crossover, more and better offensive arsenal (moves)

Heilige
06-21-2012, 05:57 PM

This. How soon people forget....

Da_Realist
06-21-2012, 05:57 PM
I think Lebron is more versatile and does more to impact a game than he did, whereas MJ was more dominant in the way he approached the game...if that makes any sense? Lebron gives you the rebounding, scoring, assists, and defense; Mike gave you HIGH scoring, elite defense, and playmaking.

What really separates them though are intangibles. Jordan was by far the better crunch-time player and leader.

Lebron's not more versatile. MJ gave you everything Lebron gives you, plus. MJ did what was necessary. If he needed to get 8 or 9 rebs to win, he'd get it. If he didn't, he'd fall back to around 6 per game. I think he averaged 9 rebs along with 41 ppg in the 93 Finals -- against one of the great rebounders of his time, Charles Barkley. If he needed to get his teammates involved he did -- averaged more than 11 assists per game against Magic Johnson in the 91 Finals. If he needed to shut somebody down or at least slow them down, he did. Steals, blocks...whatever was needed MJ could give you in addition to high and efficient scoring, leadership and his ability to play his very best when the team needed him the most.

Inspector Rick
06-21-2012, 05:58 PM
LeBron weakness is his footwork in the post....mid range shots....not really a lock down defender more of a roamer on dee.

Jordan was great at all these things.

Let's not forget his biggest weakness of all. Cognition.

Jordan was a cerebral assassin. He had you beat before the game had even started. A true mastermind in the world of basketball.

Euroleague
06-21-2012, 05:58 PM
Don't watch ESPN. They have an agenda. They are trying to create another MJ. They're already saying Lebron only needs 3 rings for him to be compared to MJ:oldlol: That network is a joke.

They still call any US championship a "world championship". The entire network has the maturity of a 10 year old.

pauk
06-21-2012, 05:59 PM
Problem is that it is just to many who grew up with Jordan and have slowly built this thought of him being GODLIKE/UNTOUCHABLE..... in reality if you deeply think about it Lebron would be Jordans biggest nightmare, but so would Jordan be upon Lebron... however you twist and turn it, that would be the most EPIC matchup ever...

PickernRoller
They still call any US championship a "world championship". The entire network has the maturity of a 10 year old.

It has been called that for ages. Baseball, Basketball, you name the sport...

SpecialQue
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5ofljp6al1rxt7jlo1_500.jpg

eliteballer
06-21-2012, 06:00 PM

They essentially are world champions, because the best baseball football and basketball teams in the world are essentially the champions of the american leagues.

RoseCity07
We're talking about skill here. Lebron has the body and athleticism over Jordan but the key word here is skill.

More skilled than Jordan? Put Lebron's brain in Jordan's body and Jordan is not as good. Put Jordan's brain in Lebron's body and he's a much better player.

Skill is when you take athleticism out of the picture. Steve Nash is skilled. He can't move like Chris Paul but his actual game allows him to be just as good if not better.

Take a look at 7 footers. Yao Ming had skill. Shawn Bradley didn't in comparison. Lebron is an amazing player but Jordan could do a lot of things better than Lebron.

RedBlackAttack
James may be the most naturally gifted athlete I have ever seen in my life. It is honestly between him and freakish multi-sport phenoms like Bo Jackson and Dave Winfield. Note, I said "my life" (so Wilt would not be included).

In terms of skill? The gulf between James and Jordan is massive.

I think people are confusing natural athleticism with skill.

SpecialQue
Problem is that it is just to many who grew up with Jordan and have slowly built this thought of him being GODLIKE/UNTOUCHABLE..... in reality if you deeply think about it Lebron would be Jordans biggest nightmare...

Only if he teamed up with Hakeem and Barkley.

PickernRoller
06-21-2012, 06:01 PM
Problem is that it is just to many who grew up with Jordan and have slowly built this thought of him being GODLIKE/UNTOUCHABLE..... in reality if you deeply think about it Lebron would be Jordans biggest nightmare...

:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm you're really this retarded?

SilkkTheShocker
06-21-2012, 06:02 PM
Smith is correct. Get over it haters

RoseCity07
06-21-2012, 06:03 PM
James may be the most naturally gifted athlete I have ever seen in my life. It is honestly between him and freakish multi-sport phenoms like Bo Jackson and Dave Winfield. Note, I said "my life" (so Wilt would not be included).

In terms of skill? The gulf between James and Jordan is massive.

I think people are confusing natural athleticism with skill.

That's what I'm saying.

PickernRoller
06-21-2012, 06:04 PM
Smith is correct. Get over it haters

sup boy....heard that other thread got closed....Smith is delusional on this one, a characteristic of all entertainers looking for viewers and controversy...

Bigsmoke
06-21-2012, 06:05 PM
Take a look at 7 footers. Yao Ming had skill. Shawn Bradley didn't in comparison. Lebron is an amazing player but Jordan could do a lot of things better than Lebron.

Bradley was trash :lol

Da_Realist
06-21-2012, 06:05 PM
Problem is that it is just to many who grew up with Jordan and have slowly built this thought of him being GODLIKE/UNTOUCHABLE.....

Typical fallback response. "Y'all act like he's GOD!" C'mon man... Let's not get emotional. Tell us why you think Lebron is as/more skilled than one of the most skilled players the league has ever seen.

Micku
06-21-2012, 06:07 PM

I think that's actually close. LeBron could be better, but we don't have a stat to prove it. At least I don't think we do. And we would have to compare the competition too. Jordan did went up against bigger frontline/defensively in the playoffs in his hey day.

But everything else I agree. LeBron isn't more skilled than Jordan. The skill set is a big gap. Shocking that basketball analysts would say that like that sometimes. Caught up in the heat of the moment (no pun intended) or probably just want to start something.

Legends66NBA7

+1.

So sad that those "analysts" get paid for garbage they spew.

eliteballer
There is not a massive gap in skill between them. Defense, rebounding, passing are all close to a wash. Dont confuse jordans own athleticism with skill.

Where Jordan is more skilled is on the offensive end, but as overal players overall its not massive.

Da_Realist
06-21-2012, 06:08 PM
Watch the 91 Finals. The skill level on display during this series is ridiculous. If you don't have time, watch the 2nd half of Game 5.

eliteballer
06-21-2012, 06:10 PM
Watch the 91 Finals. The skill level on display during this series is ridiculous. If you don't have time, watch the 2nd half of Game 5.

Thats like saying watch LeBrons game 5 vs detroit, hes just as skilled a scorer as jordan

Magic 32
06-21-2012, 06:10 PM

I can only imagine if Lebron went 15-18 from the floor with double-digit in assists. This place would be a nightmare.

PickernRoller
06-21-2012, 06:11 PM
Thats like saying watch LeBrons game 5 vs detroit, hes just as skilled a scorer as jordan

No he aint. You just lost all cred...

Euroleague
06-21-2012, 06:12 PM
It has been called that for ages. Baseball, Basketball, you name the sport...

Anyone that says that is a retarded xenophobic psychotic. Considering that ESPN is a worldwide company and covers sports all over the planet......it is proof of how incredibly stupid they are to keep making such an absurd claim.

PS if you believe that a US title is a "world title" then you are the same.

Da_Realist
06-21-2012, 06:12 PM
I think that's actually close. LeBron could be better, but we don't have a stat to prove it. At least I don't think we do. And we would have to compare the competition too. Jordan did went up against bigger frontline/defensively in the playoffs in his hey day.

But everything else I agree. LeBron isn't more skilled than Jordan. The skill set is a big gap. Shocking that basketball analysts would say that like that sometimes. Caught up in the heat of the moment (no pun intended) or probably just want to start something.

You're crazy. I do mean that in the nicest way possible. :lol Lebron's shooting 47% in this year's Finals even though he's attacking the rim at almost every opportunity -- mostly cause he misses his first shot and then grabs the rebound and puts it back in. Some of the things MJ could do once he got in the paint was well beyond Lebron's ability. He had huge hands, could use his left hand as well as he could his right, had amazing hang time/rim awareness and had the strength to make shots even after being fouled. Look at some of MJ's earlier years especially.

Euroleague
06-21-2012, 06:13 PM
They essentially are world champions, because the best baseball football and basketball teams in the world are essentially the champions of the american leagues.

:lol :roll: :oldlol: :rolleyes: :facepalm

eliteballer
No he aint. You just lost all cred...

I was making an analogy, ISHiot

PickernRoller
Anyone that says that is a retarded xenophobic psychotic. Considering that ESPN is a worldwide company and covers sports all over the planet......it is proof of how incredibly stupid they are to keep making such an absurd claim.

PS if you believe that a US title is a "world title" then you are the same.

I am just saying it has been like that for ages....just like we still refuse to use the metric system. When it becomes a custom here, forget about it....rest the case, not gonna change a thing.

Micku
06-21-2012, 06:14 PM

No he isn't. That's like saying Shaq was more skilled than Hakeem, which he wasn't. Hakeem could do more things and had more moves to his arsenal.

Jordan is better without the ball. Better posting up with better footwork, a better mid-range game, a better catch and shoot, and better at attacking in the half court set all with great efficiency. LeBron can't do those things at this point of his career with the efficiency of Jordan, and all of those things are skills.

Da_Realist
06-21-2012, 06:14 PM

Not only is he not as effective a scorer (30+ on more than 50% most of his career vs somewhere around 27 on less efficiency), but he is nowhere near as skilled a scorer. Let the hate go.

PickernRoller
06-21-2012, 06:15 PM
I was making an analogy, ISHiot

The analogy is incorrect anyway you try to spin it.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-21-2012, 06:16 PM
Lebron's not more versatile. MJ gave you everything Lebron gives you, plus. MJ did what was necessary. If he needed to get 8 or 9 rebs to win, he'd get it. If he didn't, he'd fall back to around 6 per game. I think he averaged 9 rebs along with 41 ppg in the 93 Finals -- against one of the great rebounders of his time, Charles Barkley. If he needed to get his teammates involved he did -- averaged more than 11 assists per game against Magic Johnson in the 91 Finals. If he needed to shut somebody down or at least slow them down, he did. Steals, blocks...whatever was needed MJ could give you in addition to high and efficient scoring, leadership and his ability to play his very best when the team needed him the most.

Agree to disagree, good post though. To me, Lebron is a better rebounder, shot blocker (in transition), finisher around the basket (more so during his Cleveland days; Mike was on another planet from '87-92 though), passer and/or better court vision. Some of the above may have to do with elite athleticism, but Jordan was a hyper-athlete in his day too. In his prime, Mike's HUGE hands helped make him unstoppable around the basket.

pauk
06-21-2012, 06:18 PM
Typical fallback response. "Y'all act like he's GOD!" C'mon man... Let's not get emotional. Tell us why you think Lebron is as/more skilled than one of the most skilled players the league has ever seen.

Please do not overrate MJ, ive been there and watched most of his games live... Lebron is just as good (if not better) than Jordan ever was... Jordan was only more of a... chucker (efficient, but still, dont mean it in a bad way, i mean only simply that he liked to take more shots, maaaaaaaaaaany more shots)... Lebron is basically a 6'9-260 version of Jordan (but not entirely like Jordan, he has lots of Magic in him to), with better rebounding/passing and because of those skills at that size MUCH better versatility........

Like i said, he can be your:

24-7-11 PG
35-7-5 SG
30-7-7 SF
30-10-5 PF and occasionally even C

Not to mention he is just as versatile defensively.... as versatile as only Pippen was.... all in all could you say that about Jordan?

Lebron at THIS STAGE... today.. right now... is that good... and is improving all the time.... because of that if you are not satisfied with what you are seeing now, you WILL be later, trust me...

..and again, im not saying JORDAN > LEBRON as individual actual talents/players (thats the only thing we are comparing afterall, career accomplishments would be to premature to compare with).... but that the thought of somebody thinking that Lebron might have been more talented than Jordan should not be obnoxious....

T-Low
A lot of people weren't even old enough to see MJ play in his prime.

eliteballer
You morons, I am NOT saying hes as skilled a scorer as Jordan. I'm pointing out the fault in da realists post.

eliteballer
06-21-2012, 06:20 PM
Not only is he not as effective a scorer (30+ on more than 50% most of his career vs somewhere around 27 on less efficiency), but he is nowhere near as skilled a scorer. Let the hate go.

Dont try to bring efficiency into this when they played in different eras.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
There is not a massive gap in skill between them. Defense, rebounding, passing are all close to a wash. Dont confuse jordans own athleticism with skill.

Where Jordan is more skilled is on the offensive end, but as overal players overall its not massive.

Agreed. Jordan's skill on the offensive end (shooting, footwork/pivot, working in the post, etc) is the reason he was far and away the better closer/crunchtime player....well that and he was mentally tougher.

PickernRoller
Please do not overrate MJ, ive been there and watched most of his games live... Lebron is just as good (if not better) than Jordan ever was... Jordan was only more of a... chucker (efficient, but still, dont mean it in a bad way, i mean only simply that he liked to take more shots, maaaaaaaaaaany more shots)... Lebron is basically a 6'9-260 version of Jordan (but not entirely like Jordan, he has lots of Magic in him to), with better rebounding/passing and because of those skills at that size MUCH better versatility........

Like i said, he can be your:

24-7-11 PG
35-7-5 SG
30-7-7 SF
30-10-5 PF and occasionally even C

Not to mention he is just as versatile defensively.... as versatile as only Pippen was.... all in all could you say that about Jordan?

Lebron at THIS STAGE... today.. right now... is that good... and is improving all the time....

..and again, im not saying JORDAN > LEBRON as individual actual talents/players (thats the only thing we are comparing afterall, career accomplishments would be to premature to compare with).... but that the thought of somebody thinking that Lebron might have been more talented than Jordan was should not obnoxious....

in

OldSchoolBBall
06-21-2012, 06:25 PM
Lebron is no where near as skilled as Jordan. His triple-threat footwork alone is miles behind MJ's, as is his post game, and especially his off the ball game. As a total scorer, again, not close skill-wise. Defensively, MJ has the edge as well due to better footwork and technique.

Micku
06-21-2012, 06:26 PM
You're crazy. I do mean that in the nicest way possible. :lol Lebron's shooting 47% in this year's Finals even though he's attacking the rim at almost every opportunity -- mostly cause he misses his first shot and then grabs the rebound and puts it back in. Some of the things MJ could do once he got in the paint was well beyond Lebron's ability. He had huge hands, could use his left hand as well as he could his right, had amazing hang time/rim awareness and had the strength to make shots even after being fouled. Look at some of MJ's earlier years especially.

That is true.

But I don't think we have a stat for it. LBJ was better in his Cavs days of finishing at the rim. MJ in the 80s was better at attacking the basket. MJ was probably better at it, but it would nice to have a stat for it. Around 91-92, he shot mostly jumpers from what I saw.

Da_Realist
06-21-2012, 06:30 PM
Lebron would have a better argument in impact (MJ's got him beat, but it's closer). But skill? That's ridiculous.

arifgokcen
06-21-2012, 06:32 PM
I think his comments just goes to show you he doesnt know what skill means.

What he meant to say is lebron is the most gifted athlete and possible the most talented nba player of all time.In terms of pure basketball talent we havent seen anyone like him.

Da_Realist
06-21-2012, 06:34 PM
That is true.

But I don't think we have a stat for it. LBJ was better in his Cavs days of finishing at the rim. MJ in the 80s was better at attacking the basket. MJ was probably better at it, but it would nice to have a stat for it. Around 91-92, he shot mostly jumpers from what I saw.

Early 90's, too. Like I said, look at some of the stuff he was doing in the 91 Finals.

outbreak
06-21-2012, 06:37 PM
Hell no. Nowhere near as skilled. Physically he's superior but Lebron still looks raw as hell whenever he does anything. He hasn't really refined much still relies on his athletic abilities and strength.

LJJ
06-21-2012, 06:38 PM
Aside from having extraordinary vision for his size, what skills are people talking about? Weed must be getting more powerful in the US, James isn't an exceptionally skilled player. He isn't even especially skilled compared to average players in the league, let alone Jordan who had some of the most refined skills of all time.

He still doesn't have good, fundamental post moves. He still doesn't have a fundamental, reliable jumpshot. He still can't play off-the-ball offense. He still has nowhere near the finishing skill of a MJ. Let's not even get started on defensive skills.

The reason LeBron James can dominate is his athletic ability. He combines the speed and dexterity of a star shooting guard with the physique and power of a bruiser F-C. It has not that much to do with skill, he's not that skilled.

Soundwave
06-21-2012, 06:40 PM
In terms of pure, raw *skill* Wade is probably closer to MJ than LeBron.

Jordan is a Lamborghini.

LeBron is a Hummer SUV.

Rojogaqu11
06-21-2012, 06:42 PM
here we go. gif

Kujo
06-21-2012, 07:29 PM
I LOL'ed when John Salley said Lebron is a better shooter than MJ. John Salley should know better. Skip quickly jumped on that silly statement.

NumberSix
06-21-2012, 07:41 PM
I LOL'ed when John Salley said Lebron is a better 3-point shooter than MJ. John Salley should know better. Skip quickly jumped on that silly statement.
fixed.

Sarcastic
06-21-2012, 09:24 PM
Lebron is the better rebounder; Jordan is the better scorer; they are about equal as passers; Jordan is the better defender.

Scoring is the most important skill in basketball. Jordan is the better skilled player.

IGotACoolStory
06-21-2012, 09:42 PM
SAS meant Lebron is more versatile than MJ.

And he's right. That's what happens when you are athletically a wing in a PF's body with PG skills.

OldSchoolBBall
06-21-2012, 09:45 PM
Lebron is the better rebounder; Jordan is the better scorer; they are about equal as passers; Jordan is the better defender.

Scoring is the most important skill in basketball. Jordan is the better skilled player.

It's not that simple, though. Each of those areas contains multiple skills. For example, for scoring there's shooting, penetrating, ballhandling, footwork, finishing, off-the-ball game, post-up game etc.

For rebounding there's boxing out, reading angles, footwork/positioning etc.

For passing there's chest/bounce/outlet passing, the ability to pass with the left, to pass off the dribble without picking up the ball, to execute the correct pass in P&R situations or drive and kicks etc.

For defense, there's a ton of footwork involved, and for team defense the bball IQ needed to make proper rotations, take charges, recover to shooters etc.

Honestly, Lebron is better than Jordan at perhaps one or two of the 20+ aspects of skill I listed. It's not as simple as "hey, he's a better rebounder" - he's also 2-3" taller and 40-50 pounds heavier, so that's expected. I don't think he's nearly as skilled a rebounder as Jordan, for instance. if I needed a big rebound late in a game, I'd take MJ over Lebron every time and never think twice about it.

Point blank: Lebron is NOWHERE NEAR as skilled as Jordan, and anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves. This has NOTHING to do with talent or impact. We're talking about skill.

Mr. I'm So Rad
06-21-2012, 09:45 PM
LeBron isn't as skilled as Jordan was, but when it comes to overall impact, dominance and everything he provides for a team, LBJ has MJ beat. It's not by a long shot, but it's not really close either.

-Smak

Dragonyeuw
06-21-2012, 09:48 PM
More versatile, yes. More skilled, no, especially offensively....My favorite version of Jordan is the 96-98 version. To borrow an earlier phrase, just a straight surgeon, anything he lost athletically was made up with pure skill, and his IQ and creativity was just crazy. Lebron ain't on that level as a scorer, regardless of similar-ish scoring numbers....

OldSchoolBBall
06-21-2012, 09:49 PM
LeBron isn't as skilled as Jordan was, but when it comes to overall impact, dominance and everything he provides for a team, LBJ has MJ beat. It's not by a long shot, but it's not really close either.

-Smak

lmao :oldlol: Jordan ('89-'92) had more impact on games than Lebron does. Period. This has devolved into a theater of the absurd. :oldlol:

bballer
06-21-2012, 09:54 PM
He is right. I'd take prime Lebron over prime MJ.

OldSchoolBBall
06-21-2012, 09:55 PM
He is right. I'd take prime Lebron over prime MJ.

You'd lose 8 times out of 10.

RazorBaLade
06-21-2012, 09:56 PM
i wonder who has the bigger D

and balls

Indian guy
Lebron would have a better argument in impact (MJ's got him beat, but it's closer). But skill? That's ridiculous.

This.

It's really not a comparison skill-wise. Impact wise, it is.

Mr. I'm So Rad
lmao :oldlol: Jordan ('89-'92) had more impact on games than Lebron does. Period. This has devolved into a theater of the absurd. :oldlol:

How so? You really think any version of MJ did more on the floor and on the same level as '09 -'12 LeBron?

No superstar in history has been asked to do what LeBron is doing on a nightly basis. No only be the leading scorer, but directly get guys involved, be the best perimeter defender, crash the glass as well as close out games. Maybe Jordan has to do that in the really early parts of his career, but as you see, he wasn't nearly as successful as LeBron was at it.

Like I said, when it comes to pure basketball skill, who would win on a Saturday morning on the blacktop, Jordan has the edge. But when it comes to the NBA scene, where it's not just 1v1, LeBron is a once in a lifetime player.

-Smak

Inactive
06-21-2012, 10:06 PM
How so? You really think any version of MJ did more on the floor and on the same level as '09 -'12 LeBron?

No superstar in history has been asked to do what LeBron is doing on a nightly basis. No only be the leading scorer, but directly get guys involved, be the best perimeter defender, crash the glass as well as close out games. Maybe Jordan has to do that in the really early parts of his career, but as you see, he wasn't nearly as successful as LeBron was at it.

-SmakIn 88 Jordan put up 32.5/8/8 3 steals, 1 block. He won DPOY. He guarded the best players. He hit game winners. In what way wasn't he successful? He didn't have great team success, but that's obviously not something that he could control. In the 91 Finals he had 31/7/11 3 steals, and a block, shooting 56%. What exactly didn't he do for his team? You could argue that 2nd 3 peat Jordan was basically just a scorer, but in his prime, he did everything for his team.

Dragonyeuw
06-21-2012, 10:08 PM
In 88 Jordan put up 32.5/8/8 3 steals, 1 block. He won DPOY.

Came in to post that.....

Mr. I'm So Rad
06-21-2012, 10:20 PM
In 88 Jordan put up 32.5/8/8 3 steals, 1 block. He won DPOY. He guarded the best players. He hit game winners. In what way wasn't he successful? He didn't have great team success, but that's obviously not something that he could control. In the 91 Finals he had 31/7/11 3 steals, and a block, shooting 56%. What exactly didn't he do for his team? You could argue that 2nd 3 peat Jordan was basically just a scorer, but in his prime, he did everything for his team.

:oldlol: Why not? LeBron has played with scrubs too and he's been able to get deep into the playoffs and have great records every year.

I could go on and spout stats from LeBron that separate him from Jordan as well, but that's not the point. When talking about a guy that impacts the game on both ends at an all time level, LBJ has Jordan beat. It's not to say MJ didn't have great impact on teams, but he couldn't overachieve with subpar casts like LeBron can. He didn't win titles until he had a stacked team around him, which isn't really a knock. No one wins titles without stacked teams. But we see what LeBron is capable of when he has a decent team around him; he puts up other worldly numbers not seen in decades since games weren't even televised.

-Smak

OldSchoolBBall
06-21-2012, 10:22 PM
:oldlol: Why not? LeBron has played with scrubs too and he's been able to get deep into the playoffs and have great records every year.

Yes, because the mid-late 00's EC and NBA is the same as the mid-late 80's EC and NBA, with the same concentration of talent on teams and all. James' cast was much closer to the average NBA and especially EC team in terms of talent than MJ's '85-'89 Bulls were to the average NBA and especially EC team.

He didn't win titles until he had a stacked team around him, which isn't really a knock. No one wins titles without stacked teams. But we see what LeBron is capable of when he has a decent team around him; he puts up other worldly numbers not seen in decades since games weren't even televised.

We already did see what he did with a great team, last year. And he shit the bed and disappeared in the Finals in ways MJ never did. Dude is not as good as Jordan. Period.

nathanjizzle
what a stupid thing to say. if you have been watching this finals, all lebron really is doing is being aggressive driving to the lane...thats it. hes not even taking jumpshots anymore. so where is all this skills hes talking about.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy

I could go on and spout stats from LeBron that separate him from Jordan as well, but that's not the point. When talking about a guy that impacts the game on both ends at an all time level, LBJ has Jordan beat. It's not to say MJ didn't have great impact on teams, but he couldn't overachieve with subpar casts like LeBron can. He didn't win titles until he had a stacked team around him, which isn't really a knock. No one wins titles without stacked teams. But we see what LeBron is capable of when he has a decent team around him; he puts up other worldly numbers not seen in decades since games weren't even televised.

-Smak

So..

Lebron >>>> Kobe since 2006, right?

juju151111
06-21-2012, 10:25 PM

-Smak
Stack team? Jordan won his first title with no allstars on his team. LJ has 2 allstars he ran too. LJ has choked in times he could of won

Dragonyeuw
06-21-2012, 10:30 PM
It's not to say MJ didn't have great impact on teams, but he couldn't overachieve with subpar casts like LeBron can.

-Smak

And yet, Jordan took the Bulls to consecutive conference finals in the late 80's with a cast featuring a young Pippen and Grant, who were far from the players they would become in the 90's. Also, overall late 80's/early 90's East> East of recent years.

Inactive
06-21-2012, 10:31 PM
:oldlol: Why not? LeBron has played with scrubs too and he's been able to get deep into the playoffs and have great records every year. His teams were losing to all-time great Celtics teams in the first round, and very good multiple champion Detriot teams in the ecf. Why didn't Lebron beat Boston, or Orlando when his teams had better records? Why couldn't he beat Dallas? The idea that someone would try to elevate Lebron over Jordan by pointing to team success is hilarious.

I could go on and spout stats from LeBron that separate him from Jordan as well, but that's not the point.
Not really. If you cherry pick stats to boost up Lebron, someone will remind you about that stretch, or that series in which Jordan was even better. If you look at the totality of their stats, Jordan comes out on top. If you look at intangibles, career success, the respect they get from peers, Jordan comes out on top.

When talking about a guy that impacts the game on both ends at an all time level, LBJ has Jordan beat. It's not to say MJ didn't have great impact on teams, but he couldn't overachieve with subpar casts like LeBron can. He didn't win titles until he had a stacked team around him, which isn't really a knock. No one wins titles without stacked teams. But we see what LeBron is capable of when he has a decent team around him; he puts up other worldly numbers not seen in decades since games weren't even televised.

-SmakWhat does Lebron do, that Jordan didn't do? Where does this magical impact come from? His motivational speeches before games?

Tenchi Ryu
06-21-2012, 10:34 PM
Hell, even current 33 year old Kobe is more skillful than Lebron, his skill alone is the main reason he's even still a top 10 player.

IGOTGAME
06-21-2012, 10:35 PM
what a stupid thing to say. if you have been watching this finals, all lebron really is doing is being aggressive driving to the lane...thats it. hes not even taking jumpshots anymore. so where is all this skills hes talking about.

that is all he is doing? he isn't:

i)guarding all 5 positions?
ii) running the offense out of the post and drawing consistent doubles and picking OKC apart?
iii) he isn't making big shots?

Mr. I'm So Rad
06-21-2012, 10:36 PM
Yes, because the mid-late 00's EC and NBA is the same as the mid-late 80's EC and NBA, with the same concentration of talent on teams and all. James' cast was much closer to the average NBA and especially EC team in terms of talent than MJ's '85-'89 Bulls were to the average NBA and especially EC team.

If Jordan's impact was as great as you guys claim, why couldn't he make his teammates into solid or borderline star players? The East in the mid-late 80s was similar to how it is now, very top heavy with 3-5 elite teams, 1-2 pretenders and a bunch of bum squads. The best EC teams of the mid-late 80s > the best EC teams of the late 2000s maybe, but it wasn't as if Jordan was playing against an all time squad every night. Look, I'm not saying he didn't have an all time impact on his team's success. Obviously he did. But I just can't see 80s Jordan is going far with guys like Mo Williams, Varejao Daniel Gibson and Big Z. Of course it's all speculation as there is no way of knowing for sure. I could be wrong. I just don't see it.

-Smak

Dragonyeuw
06-21-2012, 10:38 PM
The only thing that a young Lebron did that trumps anything a young Jordan did, from a team success standpoint, was when Lebron took the Cavs to the finals in 2007, in which the only good team he played on the way was Detroit and his performance( particularly that game 5) was a 'lightning in a bottle moment'.

Otherwise, he was knocked out 4 consecutive years in 2008 by Boston, 2009 by Orlando, 2010 by Boston, and 2011 by Dallas, the latter two seasons where Lebron had inexplicable sub-par, lethargic performances that made people question his mentality and heart. No-one ever questioned Jordan's heart, mental toughness and ability to rise to the occasion, even when his team came up short against superior foes.

Tenchi Ryu
06-21-2012, 10:39 PM
If Jordan's impact was as great as you guys claim, why couldn't he make his teammates into solid or borderline star players? The East in the mid-late 80s was similar to how it is now, very top heavy with 3-5 elite teams, 1-2 pretenders and a bunch of bum squads. The best EC teams of the mid-late 80s > the best EC teams of the late 2000s maybe, but it wasn't as if Jordan was playing against an all time squad every night. Look, I'm not saying he didn't have an all time impact on his team's success. Obviously he did. But I just can't see 80s Jordan is going far with guys like Mo Williams, Varejao Daniel Gibson and Big Z. Of course it's all speculation as there is no way of knowing for sure. I could be wrong. I just don't see it.

-Smak
2000's EAST was incredibly weak tho.

IGOTGAME
06-21-2012, 10:42 PM
Lebron is a better passer than Michael Jordan. True statement.

Dragonyeuw
06-21-2012, 10:43 PM
If Jordan's impact was as great as you guys claim, why couldn't he make his teammates into solid or borderline star players?

-Smak

He did that for one guy in Cleveland, that being Mo Williams. Didn't Pippen and Grant emerge as all-star level talents playing alongside Jordan? Who has Lebron done that for in Miami? Wade and Bosh were and are already all-star caliber players....otherwise both guys have played with solid/decent role-players( Paxson, Armstrong, Kukoc, Harper, Longley, Cartwright, Hughes, Old Shaq, Varajeo,West,Illgauskas,Hickson, Gibson,Chalmers, Battier,Haslem etc etc etc).

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-21-2012, 10:44 PM
Lebron is a better passer than Michael Jordan. True statement.

And 3PT shooter, rebounder (boxing out as well), shot blocker, and playmaker. But yeah, he's nothing without his athletic ability. :rolleyes:

Inactive
06-21-2012, 10:48 PM
And 3PT shooter, rebounder (boxing out as well), shot blocker, and playmaker. But yeah, he's nothing without his athletic ability. :rolleyes:He's not a better shot blocker.

OldSchoolBBall
06-21-2012, 10:49 PM
But I just can't see 80s Jordan is going far with guys like Mo Williams, Varejao Daniel Gibson and Big Z. Of course it's all speculation as there is no way of knowing for sure. I could be wrong. I just don't see it.

-Smak

Lebron would get bounced in the first round annually with the cast you just listed in the mid-late 80's EC, and wouldn't win more than 45-50 regular season games at most.

bdreason
06-21-2012, 10:50 PM
LeBron is a better passer. MJ is better at everything else.

OldSchoolBBall
06-21-2012, 10:50 PM
And 3PT shooter, rebounder (boxing out as well), shot blocker, and playmaker. But yeah, he's nothing without his athletic ability. :rolleyes:

Lebron is not a better rebounder in terms of skill than Jordan. Not nearly a better shotblocker, either. Nor playmaker (this is distinct from passing).

Dragonyeuw
06-21-2012, 10:55 PM

Rebounder? Jordan averaged 6 rpg at 6'6, 200. Lebron averages 7 while being 6'8,250. Pound for pound.....? :confusedshrug:

Shotblocking? Highlight reel chase-down blocks aside, not really.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-21-2012, 10:58 PM
Yes, because Jordan didn't benefit from being athletic and/or having big hands.

Lebron's physical attributes are scrutinized while Jordan's are praised (and negated when it helps your argument). Makes sense. :oldlol:

bizil
06-21-2012, 10:59 PM
Bron is clearly more versatile than MJ because he's 6'8 and 260 pounds. Bron can play and defend four to five positions all very good to great. MJ at 6'6 could do it for PG, SG, and SF. But MJ is as complete as a 6'6 player can practically be. The same goes for Kobe. Both are great scorers, passers, rebounders for their position, and defenders. But MJ and Kobe are killers by nature first in terms of scoring. Guys like Bron and Magic are passers and setup guys by nature first. But both can turn into killers scoring the ball, in particular Bron when u look at his scoring numbers.

So if Steven A means more versatile then YES Bron is more skilled than MJ. But Bron isn't as skilled as MJ in terms of scoring. MJ has more consistent ways to beat u scoring. I still think skill for skill than MJ and Kobe are the GOAT. Bird is up there as well, but he lacks the D that MJ and Kobe had. But Bron is the most versatile player ever with guys like Magic and KG up there as well. The main thing Bron has on MJ is the passing skills and size. Bron has a sixth sense for passing that MJ doesn't have, even though MJ was a great passer in his own right.

If u are a great passer, defender, rebounder, and scorer all in one, then u are clearly a very skilled player. But the second part of the equation is of those skills, which facets of those skills are u great at. MJ's scoring skillset is clearly superior to Bron's. But perimeter player wise guys like Bron, MJ, Magic, Bird, Wade, Kobe, Hondo, and Barry are all epic skilled guys in their own ways!

Dragonyeuw
06-21-2012, 11:08 PM
Yes, because Jordan didn't benefit from being athletic and/or having big hands.

Lebron's physical attributes are scrutinized while Jordan's are negated. Makes sense. :oldlol:

Who said Jordan didn't benefit? But what's the logic is proclaiming Lebron a better rebounder when his physical advantages outweigh Jordan's in height/weight, but it doesn't translate to some huge statistical gap in rebounds? Not to forget that Jordan played in an era of the center.

Soooo.....:confusedshrug:

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-21-2012, 11:17 PM
Who said Jordan didn't benefit? But what's the logic is proclaiming Lebron a better rebounder when his physical advantages outweigh Jordan's in height/weight, but it doesn't translate to some huge statistical gap in rebounds? Not to forget that Jordan played in an era of the center.

Soooo.....:confusedshrug:

So he should be penalized for being taller and more athletic? You might as well put that asterisk for every big man who's played the game. Nah, Shaq was just taller than Jordan, not necessarily the better rebounder!. What a joke. :oldlol:

Let me throw your question right back at you. What's the logic in saying Jordan was a better finisher (than anyone pound for pound) when he's arguably the most athletic player in history? Do we ignore Jordan was born with HUGE hands? You know, God given gifts?

Dragonyeuw
06-21-2012, 11:22 PM
Let me throw your question right back at you. What's the logic in saying Jordan was a better finisher (than anyone pound for pound) when he's arguably the most athletic player in history?

Do we ignore Jordan was born with HUGE hands? You know, God given gifts?

You're throwing a question back at me that I never asked to start with. At what point have I made any statement regarding Jordan's finishing ability, and what does that have to do with what I said above?

Nice deflection.....it's quite simple. You have an athletic 6'6,200 pound Jordan averaging 6 rebounds, and an athletic 6'8, 250 pound Lebron averaging 7 rebounds. BOTH have GOAT level athleticism, that they use to their advantage. One is significantly bigger than the other, but that doesn't translate into some huge statistical rebounding advantage. So again, is it much of a bragging point, or even accurate, to say Lebron is a better rebounder? Jordan relatively speaking from a positional and era perspective,arguably isn't a 'worse' rebounder than Lebron is.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-21-2012, 11:28 PM
You're throwing a question back at me that I never asked to start with. At what point have I made any statement regarding Jordan's finishing ability, and what does that have to do with what I said above?

Nice deflection.....it's quite simple. You have an athletic 6'6,200 pound Jordan averaging 6 rebounds, and an athletic 6'8, 250 pound Lebron averaging 7 rebounds. BOTH have GOAT level athleticism, that they use to their advantage. One is significantly bigger than the other, but that doesn't translate into some huge statistical rebounding advantage. So again, is it much of a bragging point, or even accurate, to say Lebron is a better rebounder? Jordan relatively speaking from a positional and era perspective,arguably isn't a 'worse' rebounder than Lebron is.

No, you slow-witted fool, I threw a rhetorical question right back at you.

You don't penalize (or ignore) production and impact simply because another dude has physical advantages over said player.

Dragonyeuw
06-21-2012, 11:32 PM
No, you slow-witted fool, I threw a rhetorical question right back at you.

No you slow-witted fool..... you didn't. You said let me throw YOUR question back at you. Except it was't my question at all, but nice try changing your tune. Answering a question by throwing a question back usually occurs when you can't otherwise answer the original question posed.

I haven't ignored anything, merely making the point that Lebron doesn't enjoy some gaping statistical advantage in the rebounding area, given position, era, physical attributes. It's relative.... you can't merely discount or ignore these factors simply because it's inconvenient for your argument.

oh the horror
06-21-2012, 11:36 PM
Bron is clearly more versatile than MJ because he's 6'8 and 260 pounds. Bron can play and defend four to five positions all very good to great.

Where do people get that lie from? Lebron CANNOT guard all five positions dude.

They threw him on KG and Garnett was abusing him.

He isnt about to guard Dwight, or Bynum for any long periods of time. Lets not get ridiculous now.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-21-2012, 11:41 PM
No you slow-witted fool..... you didn't. You said let me throw YOUR question back at you. Except it was't my question at all, but nice try changing your tune. Answering a question by throwing a question back usually occurs when you can't otherwise answer the original question posed.

There's a reason I didn't answer your question. It's non responsive. You don't penalize players because of physical advantages, or lack there of. Maybe idiots like you do? Most basketball savants don't however.

Dragonyeuw
06-21-2012, 11:47 PM
Are you retarded? There's a reason I didn't answer your question. It's non responsive. You don't penalize players because of physical attributes. Maybe idiots like you do? Most basketball savants dont.

Are you? Bringing up some rhetorical question about Jordan's finishing ability as a reply to my question about Lebron really being a better rebounder( arguing the better 'finisher' is certainly more subjective than arguing the better rebounder, considering you can't really quantify finishing ability with any hard stats), without considering other factors I mentioned, means you have no reply. Not because it's not a valid point to debate, you simply can't answer without deflecting. I've acknowledged that both have athletic advantages, Lebron having the overall advantage, and raise the point about relative to position and taking things like Jordan playing in a statistically bigger era into account, and at the end of the day their rebounding averages aren't that far apart. This is why I raise the point of 'pound for pound', and 'relative'. It's a lot easier to just ignore whatever is inconvenient to your argument, and hurl insults when you have little else.

So....fukkk you, you're a c**t. No, scratch that...c**ts are useful.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-21-2012, 11:52 PM
Are you? Bringing up some rhetorical question about Jordan's finishing ability as a reply to my question about Lebron really being a better rebounder( arguing the better 'finisher' is certainly more subjective than arguing the better rebounder, considering you can't really quantify finishing ability with any hard stats), without considering other factors I mentioned, means you have no reply. Not because it's not a valid point to debate, you simply can't answer without deflecting and now resorting to insults.

So....fukkk you, you're a c**t. No, scratch that...c**ts are useful.

My god you're a giant toolbag. Jordan's ability to finish due to being a 'hyper athlete' and/or having 'big hands' is irrelevant. And that's the point. Lebron being a few inches taller and BIGGER than Jordan physically is moot. The point is, he's a better rebounder. Just like Bird was a better rebounder than Jordan. Just like Barkley was a better rebounder than Jordan.

Not sure why this has to be explained to you....oh wait, you're slow as shit. That's why. :oldlol:

Dragonyeuw
06-22-2012, 12:01 AM
Well, it's not like he's fighting off seven footers that are allowed to camp in the paint for rebounds. Lanes are wide open (by rule) these days. This is a perimeter oriented league and he's the biggest perimeter player out there.

Exactly what I was trying to get at, but let's ignore that factor.

Da_Realist
06-22-2012, 12:02 AM
Exactly what I was trying to get at, but let's ignore that factor.

I deleted it. Let's let Lebron have his time. He played at an all time level. :applause:

Dragonyeuw
06-22-2012, 12:18 AM
Lebron being a few inches taller and BIGGER than Jordan physically is moot.

Oh ok, so size isn't an advantage when it comes to rebounding. Good to know....how many 6 foot guards you know of who average 10 rebounds a game? Look it up.... I can wait.

Jordan and Lebron's rebounding stats are too close to declare Lebron a definitively better rebounder without taking into account things like position, era, and yes there is such a thing as 'pound for pound'. Rodman, pound for pound and relative to position may be the greatest rebounder ever, even if statistically his totals are lower than players like Wilt or Russell.

It's a fairly simple notion, but feel free to continue ignoring factors inconvenient to your argument. Let's ignore that Jordan played in a larger era, that he managed to average 6 rebounds, one less than Lebron for his career, while playing with Pippen who himself averaged 6 rebounds, and Rodman who averaged 15+. Let's ignore that Jordan has a season where he averaged 8 rebounds, in an era which featured a number of prolific power forwards and centers. Let's ignore those factors and stick with your blanket statements.

oh the horror
06-22-2012, 12:19 AM
Im sorry but this is like laugh out loud funny to me.

Im curious as to the ages of some of you here, because to me, "skill" means something different apparently.

Lebron is NOT more "SKILLED" than Jordan. Wtf. :oldlol:

pauk
06-22-2012, 12:21 AM
You WILL believe sooner or later....

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-22-2012, 12:22 AM
Oh ok, so size isn't an advantage when it comes to rebounding. Good to know....how many 6 foot guards you know of who average 10 rebounds a game? Look it up.... I can wait.

I didn't say that. Now you're purposely taking my posts out of context. At the end of the day, Lebron is and will always be a better rebounder. Just like Barkely, Shaq, Ewing, Robinson, Bird, and Pippen were. Do people really question that?

I apologize for insulting you. It just pisses me off that Jordan has to be better than anyone and everything. It's bullshit quite frankly (and I like MJ).

Lets let Lebron have his night. We can agree to disagree.

Dragonyeuw
06-22-2012, 12:42 AM
I didn't say that. Now you're purposely taking my posts out of context. At the end of the day, Lebron is and will always be a better rebounder. Just like Barkely, Shaq, Ewing, Robinson, Bird, and Pippen were. Do people really question that?

I apologize for insulting you. It just pisses me off that Jordan has to be better than anyone and everything. It's bullshit quite frankly (and I like MJ).

Lets let Lebron have his night. We can agree to disagree.

I'm not even arguing that Jordan was a 'better' rebounder( nor am I arguing that Jordan was the best at everything), from a statistical standpoint he isn't but again the statistical difference isn't huge and one can easily argue that they're equal rebounders relative to position, and also taking into account the fact that Jordan played in a bigger era. We're not arguing who's the better rebounder between Jordan and Barkley, that would be assinine. We're comparing a guy who averages 6 rebounds from the backcourt to one who averages 7 from the frontcourt.

Let's throw out the 'Lebron is bigger' point for sake of argument. Rebounding ability relative to position and era isn't something you can readily dismiss just because.....is Lebron statistically a better rebounder? Yes, there's no debate there. Is Jordan as good a rebounder relative to position, relative to him playing in a bigger era? It's not a crazy notion to contemplate, whether you agree with it or not. Certainly it's not enough of a talking point when debating about areas where Lebron is superior....on another note by what measure would Lebron be a better shotblocker? It's not a refusal to acknowledge someone's superiority to Jordan....lots of players are superior to Jordan in one facet or another. But what metric is being used to say Lebron is a better shotblocker?

Agree on your last sentence, apologize for hurling insults back. I prefer to just talk Bball without that kind of thing.

97 bulls
06-22-2012, 01:09 AM
I havnt read through this whole thread but james is not as skilled as jordan. And he must be able to maintain this level of dominance for a few more years to be justly compared to jordan.

bizil
06-22-2012, 01:22 AM
Where do people get that lie from? Lebron CANNOT guard all five positions dude.

They threw him on KG and Garnett was abusing him.

He isnt about to guard Dwight, or Bynum for any long periods of time. Lets not get ridiculous now.

U notice I said 4 or 5 positions. I think Bron can defend or play PG-PF flat out. And yes IN TODAY'S NBA, BRON CAN GUARD CERTAIN CENTERS. He's 6'8, some say maybe 6'9, and 260 pounds and as strong as many centers and PF's. Centers like McGee, Camby, Jordan, Perkins and Chandler he can defend. Bron weighs just as much or more than all of them AND none of those five are offensive threats. When it comes to Howard and Bynum then that's different. But if Bron is still capable of defending 80% of the L's centers in this era very good to great, majority rules. If u are a 7 foot center that's a backup or not really an offensive threat in the paint, Bron has enough size and athletic ability to defend them.

In terms of PF's, Bron can check many of the ones 6'10 and under. I have no problem at all with Bron defending Aldridge, Griffin, Love, Randolph, or Amare. I also don't have a problem with Bron defending a 7 footer like Dirk as well. It's guys like a KG, prime Timmy, or Gasol who are 7 footers and very good to great in the post. And are very good to great rebounders on top of it. Those are guys Bron could have trouble with. But once again, if Bron can defend 90 percent of the PF's in the L then majority rules.

There are more C's and definitely PF's in this era that Bron CAN defend very good to great than ones he can't. Which means HE CAN PLAY OR DEFEND FOUR OR FIVE POSITIONS! Bron is a freakish athlete anyway that actually plays bigger than 6'8 anyway. This isn't like a Magic who was an average to good athlete that didn't play bigger than his size. On offense, Magic could play PG-PF and at times centers. On D, Magic was more limited and couldn't defend or make a difference nearly as much. Bron on both ends is versatile on an EPIC LEVEL!

bizil
06-22-2012, 01:27 AM
I havnt read through this whole thread but james is not as skilled as jordan. And he must be able to maintain this level of dominance for a few more years to be justly compared to jordan.

I agree! Both are great defenders, scorers, rebounders, and passers all in one. Both are freakish athletes to boot. But these two are totally different players in my book. MJ is the ultimate killer that's the best ever at the most premium asset in bball, which is being an alpha dog. But MJ is also an epic all around player. Bron is an alpha dog, but isn't on MJ or Kobe's level in that regard. But his all around ability and size make him arguably the most versatile player ever. So I concede Bron is a better passer and more versatile because of his size. But MJ is as versatile as any 6'6 player could be. And MJ's scoring skillset is clearly better than Lebron's. Versatility and skillset are two different things, even though they play off of each other. A lot of skills has to do with fundamentals. MJ, Kobe, and Bird are as sound fundamentally and technically as any players ever.