PDA

View Full Version : Is Lebron James already considered better than Charles Barkley?

iamgine
06-05-2012, 03:05 AM
Award wise, LBJ is better. 3xMVP

Ring wise, they're the same.

Kurosawa0
06-05-2012, 03:07 AM
You have to at this point. LeBron's a better scorer, playmaker and a much, much better defender. Barkley certainly wins the rebounding category, but otherwise I don't think it's really that close.

Bigsmoke
06-05-2012, 08:42 AM
Hell yeah!

Rnbizzle
06-05-2012, 08:46 AM
inb4 that charles barkley stan posting a pre-written story with all the pretty colors and bolded pieces.. :lol

WillyJakk
06-05-2012, 08:47 AM
Dumb. Ass. Thread.:biggums:

Punpun
06-05-2012, 08:47 AM
Dude no. Call me when LBJ has a videogame.

Remix
06-05-2012, 08:50 AM
dream team STAR

Human Error
06-23-2012, 05:57 PM
Only idiots would think Barkley was better than Lebron. At what point Barkley was ever considered as the best player in the world?

StateOfMind12
06-23-2012, 06:00 PM
Only idiots would think Barkley was better than Lebron. At what point Barkley was ever considered as the best player in the world?
Dumb argument considering how Jordan was in his path during his playing days. LeBron was easily better than Barkley ever was but I'm just pointing out that your logic and reasoning for that sucks.

Human Error
06-23-2012, 06:11 PM
Dumb argument considering how Jordan was in his path during his playing days. LeBron was easily better than Barkley ever was but I'm just pointing out that your logic and reasoning for that sucks.
The best player in the world is the best player in the world. Period.

And the sports evolve and so do the athletes. We cannot just say Wilt Chamberlain would destroy Shaq one on one, and we are not completely sure how 80s Bird or 90s Jordan would fare against bigger and more athletic defenders of now.

Either way, it is downright crazy to say that Barkley is better than Lebron and you do not even need to go into details.

I<3NBA
06-23-2012, 06:17 PM
1>0

NumberSix
06-23-2012, 06:19 PM
Of course. Barkley is great, but this is King James we're talking about.

Nash
06-23-2012, 06:52 PM
1>0
:cheers: LOL now we can do that too :D

Its a new world for us LBJ fans :banana:

NumberSix
06-23-2012, 07:13 PM
Of Jordan's 6 championship seasons, he went through Barkley twice. The only other time they played each other in the playoffs, neither of them even went to the finals. That leaves 12 seasons of failing to even make the finals that Jordan had nothing to do with.

Jordan didn't make Barkley's teams repeatedly lose to Houston, Utah & San Antonio.

StateOfMind12
06-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Of Jordan's 6 championship seasons, he went through Barkley twice. The only other time they played each other in the playoffs, neither of them even went to the finals. That leaves 12 seasons of failing to even make the finals that Jordan had nothing to do with.

Jordan didn't make Barkley's teams repeatedly lose to Houston, Utah & San Antonio.
Aren't you one of those people that say that we shouldn't punish players for not winning cause they aren't on the best team? Since LeBron has already won, are you now on board with the logic that if you don't win you suck now? :oldlol:

NumberSix
06-23-2012, 07:22 PM
Aren't you one of those people that say that we shouldn't punish players for not winning cause they aren't on the best team? Since LeBron has already won, are you now on board with the logic that if you don't win you suck now? :oldlol:
Yes. I'm somebody who doesn't blame a single player for never being on a championship team. I also don't make it all about 1 other guy who he only played 3 times in a 15 year span.

Barkley's teams didn't repeatedly lose to Utah, Houston and San Antonio because of the almighty Michael Jordan.

It's like saying Carmelo Anthony couldn't win because LeBron james and Dwyane Wade were in the way. The only played once.

Round Mound
06-23-2012, 07:25 PM
[B]Better Scorer Just Because he Attempts like 6-7 More Shots Per Game? :applause: :no: :facepalm :rolleyes:

Barkley has a 56 Point Game and 11/11 in the 1st Quarter Game in the Play-Offs and shooting in the High 70%

PHILA
06-23-2012, 07:48 PM
If I choose LeBron it is in large part due to his overall defensive commitment.

Pure Passing? Barkley in the Post Like None Ever

No doubt he was perhaps the best we have seen at passing especially out of double teams. :applause:

http://i.imgur.com/NSzaZ.jpg

Human Error
06-23-2012, 07:53 PM
[QUOTE=Round Mound][B]Better Scorer Just Because he Attempts like 6-7 More Shots Per Game? :applause: :no: :facepalm :rolleyes:

Barkley has a 56 Point Game and 11/11 in the 1st Quarter Game in the Play-Offs and shooting in the High 70%

Clippersfan86
06-23-2012, 07:57 PM
Barkley has zero case honestly. Less achievements, less team success AND far worse all around stats. Barkley's absolute best season is MAYBE comparable to Lebron's 2nd or 3rd seasons. Seasons 4 and up though are untouchable for Barkley. Then Lebron has 1 ring now, 3 finals appearances, multiple ECF appearances and some top 3 stats in NBA history right there with Magic and Oscar.

If Lebron wins a couple more rings as the man and adds a couple finals MVP's he will definitely be in that top 5 discussion, maybe even top 3.

Round Mound
06-23-2012, 09:17 PM
LOL at Barkley being equally good as LeBron on the fastbreak,

Count How Many Seconds It Took Barkley To Get the Defensive Rebound and Finish at the Other End:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWldMhxzvdM

and being a better passer than LeBron? Put down the crack pipe already.

I said a Better Post Passer. Lebron is a Better Creator because of his Ballhandling Ability but he is Nowhere Near the Level of Barkley as a Post Passer Off Double Teams. Infact, Only Shaq Recieved That Many Double Teams Other than Barkley in the Last 25 Years

And LeBron is 10 times the defender than Barkley ever was. Barkley always was a huge liability on defense

I Guess Durant Had a Tough Job against Lebron since he was Shot Down By Him on 30.6 PPG on 54.8% FG

...Lebron is Lucky to Play with the 2nd Best SG in the League and a Top 3-4 PF in the League in ALL OF THEIR PRIMES AND HIS PRIME...Never Faced The 80s Celtics, The 80s Lakers, The 80s-90s Pistons and Jordan-Pippen-Rodman etc Crew with The GOAT Coach Phil Jackson

:sleeping

G-train
06-23-2012, 09:38 PM
There is no argument for Barkley. People underestimate what they have and are witnessing. Likely the 2nd greatest player ever, and may eventually surpass MJ but I find that unlikely. But possible. That's how good LBJ is.

Indian guy
06-23-2012, 10:01 PM
LeBron was the best player to never win a championship prior to Thursday. So yes, he was better than Barkley, Ewing, Malone, Stockton, Baylor etc.

SuperPippen
06-23-2012, 10:12 PM
There is no argument for Barkley. People underestimate what they have and are witnessing. Likely the 2nd greatest player ever, and may eventually surpass MJ but I find that unlikely. But possible. That's how good LBJ is.

:lol

Your team affiliation wouldn't have anything to do with that conclusion, would it?

People should really stop acting as if there is no contest. LeBron is better, and greater, or whatever you want to call it, but it's closer than a lot of you seem to think.

Barkley was a slightly more efficient scorer and had a superior post game - though LeBron's post game has improved signifificantly - while LeBron is a better volume scorer with a slightly better jumpshot, though I wouldn't call either player a consistent outside shooter. While LeBron has always been the focal point of opposing defenses, Chuck was one of the most commonly double-teamed players ever, due to his dominance in the post.

Barkley has significant edge in rebounding, especially offensive rebounding, while Lebron is a better ball-handler, and thus, playmaker. I would also put passing in LeBron's favor, but Chuck was capable of making some precise, flashy passes, and, as others have noted above, became a superb passer out of double teams.

Both were athletic freaks, though Lebron is superior in this regard, and fantastic in transition. Young Barkley was an absolute beast as a finisher, right up there with LeBron, and I'm not sure if I can conclusively state who I feel was better on the fast break. I'd probably say LeBron, due to his skill as a ballhandler and his superior height and length. and In the halfcourt, however, I'd say Barkley was the more reliable scorer.

What really separates LeBron from Barkley is defense. Barkley simply wasn't nearly as effective as LeBron is on the defensive end. Whether it's on-ball defense, team defense, or getting blocks and steals, LeBron has Barkley beat. LeBron has always been capable of making fantastic, highlight worthy defensive plays, such as his signature chasedown blocks, but in recent years his team defense has gotten much more consistent. Coupled with his defensive and overall versatility, this, more than anything else, separates LeBron from Barkley.

DMAVS41
06-23-2012, 10:24 PM
Yes. By accomplishments and game.

Barkley was great, but Lebron is simply just a better overall player.

Now he has 3 mvps, a title and finals mvp, Lebron simply has to rank over Barkley. And the way people rank here it honestly shouldn't be that close.

atljonesbro
06-23-2012, 10:49 PM
[QUOTE=Round Mound][B]Better Scorer Just Because he Attempts like 6-7 More Shots Per Game? :applause: :no: :facepalm :rolleyes:

bizil
06-23-2012, 10:58 PM
I tend to think peak value wise that Chuck is the GOAT PF. And I think the same for Bron in terms of SF by a hair over Bird. It can be difficult at times to compare perimeter to bigs. But GOAT wise, I think Bron has indeed passed Chuck by with that ring. Bron is like MJ and Shaq in terms of climbing up the GOAT list quick EVEN without a ring or great longevity. Then once they get rings, the make their assault on the top 10 GOAT list. MJ, Shaq, and Bron were all faces of the L for their eras. If u are on that level, it tends to accelerate the greatness aspect. Chuck as great as he was, was never face of the L material. But at his best, he was a top two or three player in the L just under MJ and Magic. And Chuck was still one of the few guys to actually trancend bball.

MiseryCityTexas
06-23-2012, 11:12 PM
Lebron is better, and this is coming from a Barkley fan.

unbreakable
06-24-2012, 12:22 AM
id love to see prime barkley team up with 2 prime superstar max-level players

NumberSix
06-24-2012, 02:30 AM
I think LeBron james is one of the top 3 or 4 best players to ever step on an NBA court.

Round Mound
06-24-2012, 06:44 PM
Your name is the Round Mound with a Barkley avatar. You have no say in this discussion and your opinion doesn't matter.

Then How Many Lebron Stans does Inside Hoops Have? They are Far Worst than an Old Chuck Fan. Atleast...In My Case I Give You Evidence You Can`t Handle

I really don't like LeBron at all but LeBron is CLEARLY better than Barkley.

At Ballhandling, Open Court Game and Passing Yes. Nothing Much Else

Only you sad old men that don't wanna let go of their childhood would say otherwise. Or u arrogant old men who think your better human beings than other people because you watched 80s and 90s basketball. You would have to be the stupidest, most retarded, idiotic, dumbass to think CHARLES ****ING BARKLEY is better than LeBron. He has zero case.

I Did Not Watch the 80s Live But I`ve Watched Many Many Games of that Era and There is No Doubt That Was The Best Era in Modern Basketball. Had a Friend Who Had The WHole Play-Off Runs and Finals from 84-90. I Watched The 90s Live and Today`s Game and I Can Compare Players With Ease from Different Eras Can U?

Don`t Insult Me...Did I Insult You?

Brick Rick
06-24-2012, 07:40 PM
lol at this barkley stan.

asdf1990
06-24-2012, 08:06 PM
just ask charles barkley himself he will tell you lebron is already better than him.

Andrei89
06-24-2012, 08:11 PM
Did that Barkley stan just write that Brakley's fast break was better than Lebron's?

:biggums:

Vertical-24
06-24-2012, 08:19 PM

PistolPete44
06-24-2012, 09:06 PM
Round Mound:roll: :roll:

pauk
06-24-2012, 09:09 PM
Yes...

SilkkTheShocker
06-24-2012, 09:09 PM
Round Mound seems like a good dude. I don't agree with Barkley being better, but he is at least trying to make a case instead.

SuperPippen
06-24-2012, 09:11 PM
Did that Barkley stan just write that Brakley's fast break was better than Lebron's?

Are you really trying to act like there's no comparison between the two?
Barkley was a beast in transition. LeBron is as well. Ranking one over the other isn't blasphemy.

KevinNYC
06-25-2012, 01:57 AM
Originally Posted by Human Error

Yes, but your logic falls apart because Barkley was not a consistently 2nd to Jordan in the MVP race. He won one (Jordan was 3rd that year and was 2nd one time to Magic Johnson.

MVP Award Shares
1985-86 NBA 0.171 (6)
1986-87 NBA 0.149 (6)
1987-88 NBA 0.136 (4)
1988-89 NBA 0.111 (6)
1989-90 NBA 0.667 (2)
1990-91 NBA 0.231 (4)
1991-92 NBA 0.019 (12)
1992-93 NBA 0.852 (1)
1993-94 NBA 0.005 (10)
1994-95 NBA 0.089 (6)
1995-96 NBA 0.007 (12)
1996-97 NBA 0.002 (16)

So yes, Lebron as a 3x MVP has a giant case over Barkley. Barkley was a great player and had an incredible impact for a player his height, but he's simply not better than Lebron.

ShaqAttack3234
06-25-2012, 09:16 PM
I am a Barkley fan, in fact, I like Barkley much more than Lebron, but I have to go with Lebron.

Both have their advantages, though.

Barkley was the better scorer. He was so dominant in the post, especially for a player his size. That's why he got double teamed so much, in fact, along with Shaq, Kareem and Hakeem, he was double teamed more than anyone else I can think of. Lebron on the other hand has always had a habit of being extremely ball-dominant. He did a good job of picking up more easy baskets by cutting to the basket, and showed a noticeable improvement moving without the ball. Lebron did get an incredible amount of transition baskets, I was initially worried about this during the regular season, because he seemed to be relying on it, and I didn't think it would translate to the playoffs. But it did.

Lebron is the better passer, though. Barkley was a very good passer, but he also had a tendency to hold the ball too long at times, and would sometimes get himself in trouble by having to leave his feet for a crosscourt pass, which is why he could be so turnover prone. That's where Barkley's height became a disadvantage. Lebron is the best passing/playmaking forward not named Larry Bird. And he's really a top 5 passer regardless of position during his era, imo.

Charles obviously has a big advantage as a rebounder, and remains of the best rebounders of all time. Lebron did finally start impressing me with his rebounding this year, but he's not in Charles class.

Lebron's biggest advantage is defense. Charles had some potential defensively despite being limited by his size, but also never committed consistently to that end. Lebron has become a very good defender the last 4 seasons or so, particularly these last 2 in Miami. And he's a big reason why Miami became very good at forcing turnovers this year, which was ultimately their biggest strength as a team. Lebron can also guard multiple positions, bit his strength is his help defense.

I don't think they're in different tiers. Both are top 20 players, perhaps top 15, Lebron certainly is, imo. Charles was unfortunate in that he didn't have a contending team for most of his prime. Charles entered his prime around '88, maybe '89, and did not really have teams that compared to the contenders at the time until '93, which was the last season of his prime. His '93 Suns were arguably the most talented team in the league, but Charles got them to the finals and beat a loaded Sonics team that arguably had as much/more talent than they did. They lost to Chicago, but I wouldn't call that underachieving, particularly with MJ torching them for a finals record 41 ppg. Granted, it was Barkley's defensive mistake that probably cost them a game 7 at home. He played with a lot of talent in '94 and '95, but he was no longer the same Charles Barkley he was from '88-'93, despite remaining an elite player, and one of the top 10 in the game.

We're talking about a player in Barkley who was a top 5 player every season of his prime except for perhaps '92, and a top 3 player at times, despite his prime overlapping with the primes of 3 top 10 players in Jordan, Magic, Hakeem....actually 4, Bird was still in his prime in '88. Despite that, Barkley was a top 3 player arguably in '89, definitely in '91 and definitely in '93.

JtotheIzzo
06-25-2012, 11:46 PM
Award wise, LBJ is better. 3xMVP

Ring wise, they're the same.

Yes, and Barkley is my all time favorite player.

DaHeezy
06-26-2012, 01:21 AM

I don't see why this is an unbeleivable statement. You're use of the Biggums emoticon clearly states you know nothing about Barkley's furious one man fast breaks. I rank him as the greatest of all-time transitioning from defensive rebound to basket...ALL-TIME

I'll give Lebron that he's the better all round talent, but when it comes to fast breaks, Chuck will always be the best end to end player IMO

winnnaz
06-26-2012, 01:46 AM
I think even Chuck would say LBJ is better than he was.

Lebron23
06-26-2012, 01:47 AM
Prince Charles is a top 20 player of all time while LeBron is top 12 player of all time.

Round Mound
06-26-2012, 02:51 AM
Lebron James was Better than Barkley but its not like he is Way Better. Barkley was a Better Post Player, Post Defender, Rebounder, Post Passer and Needed More Double Teaming

Lebron has Easy Winning his Ring with a Top 2 SG and a Top 3-4 PF in the League in HIS and THOSE Players PRIMES...

I don`t think Lebron would have Won Anything in the 90s and 80s

Cali Syndicate
06-26-2012, 04:03 AM
Barkley has zero case honestly. Less achievements, less team success AND far worse all around stats. Barkley's absolute best season is MAYBE comparable to Lebron's 2nd or 3rd seasons. Seasons 4 and up though are untouchable for Barkley. Then Lebron has 1 ring now, 3 finals appearances, multiple ECF appearances and some top 3 stats in NBA history right there with Magic and Oscar.

If Lebron wins a couple more rings as the man and adds a couple finals MVP's he will definitely be in that top 5 discussion, maybe even top 3.

If you're going to compare stats, at least use Barkley's first 9 years rather than using his career stats which includes the downside of his career, no?

Through his first nine seasons, Barkley was putting up

23.5ppg at 57% / 11.7rpg / 4apg

and in the playoffs

23.8ppg at 53% / 13.3rpg / 4.2apg

I wouldn't say Lebron was putting far better stats.

Cali Syndicate
06-26-2012, 04:10 AM

Barkley was arguably the best player on the Dream Team.

alenleomessi
06-26-2012, 06:39 AM
James will have the better career and more achievements, but prime vs prime is arguable

Round Mound
06-26-2012, 08:59 AM
If you're going to compare stats, at least use Barkley's first 9 years rather than using his career stats which includes the downside of his career, no?

Through his first nine seasons, Barkley was putting up

23.5ppg at 57% / 11.7rpg / 4apg

and in the playoffs

23.8ppg at 53% / 13.3rpg / 4.2apg

I wouldn't say Lebron was putting far better stats.

:applause:

And Shooting Over 60% 2-Point FG for Over 22 PPG

Round Mound
06-26-2012, 09:01 AM
Barkley was arguably the best player on the Dream Team.

:applause:

Totally Instead of Arguably

And The Best Playre in The 1996 Dream Team II or III (how ever you call it)

Infact, Barkley is the Besrt Olympic Basketball Player Ever.

He Had More Tools Than Any Olympic Player Ever