PDA

View Full Version : I just feel bad for McGrady

The Real JW
05-04-2012, 08:52 PM
and his entire career.

So much potential.

CelticBaller
05-04-2012, 08:54 PM
he was playing his heart out there, sucks to get injured in probably one of his last chances to get out of the 2nd round

Velocirap31
05-04-2012, 08:55 PM
JVG is right though. Something should be done to keep guys from undercutting each other on jump shots. Rondo's was likely inadvertent, but guys like Bowen seemed to do it intentionally.

SyRyanYang
05-04-2012, 08:56 PM
I used to make fun of him all the time, but not today. :(

DFish
05-04-2012, 08:56 PM
****ing dirty ass player, Rondo.

jbryan1984
05-04-2012, 09:18 PM
someone needs to gif the face he just made when damp dropped the ball. :lol

bdreason
05-04-2012, 09:20 PM
Yes, poor McGrady. Made millions upon millions playing Basketball. :cry:

LBJDW305
05-04-2012, 09:24 PM

Could've made way more money than he made...I still have a tmac magic jersey I got at Marshall's :lol

The Macho Man
05-04-2012, 09:24 PM

The requisite post of someone refusing to have sympathy for someone who's had a better life.

bdreason
05-04-2012, 09:26 PM
The requisite post of someone refusing to have sympathy for someone who's had a better life.

I'll save my sympathy for someone who actually deserves it.

The Real JW
05-04-2012, 09:29 PM

Wealthy people don't deserve sympathy? Just because they're wealthy? Sounds like bitterness to me.

If Bill Gates tripped while walking down the stairs of his private jet and became paralyzed from the waist down, I'd still feel bad for him regardless of how much money he made.

bdreason
05-04-2012, 09:31 PM
Wealthy people don't deserve sympathy? Just because they're wealthy? Sounds like bitterness to me.

If Bill Gates tripped while walking down the stairs of his private jet and became paralyzed from the waist down, I'd still feel bad for him regardless of how much money he made.

Are we talking about McGrady being paralyzed for life?

No, we're talking about a Basketball player who will retire at a young age, then do whatever he wants with the rest of his life.

The Real JW
05-04-2012, 09:35 PM

No, we're talking about a Basketball player who will retire at a young age, then do whatever he wants with the rest of his life.

But you're saying we shouldn't feel bad for his injury-plagued career just because he isn't poor? Doesn't make sense. What do money and his constant injuries have to do with one another?

IGotACoolStory
05-04-2012, 09:38 PM

Presuming he was smart financially. What is the stat? 60% of NBA players go bankrupt within 5 years of retiring.

Now if he didn't then he deserves no sympathy because he was the moron who spent, I'm guessing, well over a 100 million.

But anyhow, you don't feel sorry for Brandon Roy?

Kiddlovesnets
05-04-2012, 09:38 PM
Michael Beasley has even more potential, but...

LBJDW305
05-04-2012, 09:39 PM

He's a lazy pothead...

bdreason
05-04-2012, 09:43 PM
But you're saying we shouldn't feel bad for his injury-plagued career just because he isn't poor? Doesn't make sense. What do money and his constant injuries have to do with one another?

I'm saying regardless of injuries, he's lived a better life than 99.9% of the people on this planet.

And I'm not telling anyone not to sympathize for him. I'm just stating that I don't.

ps - I didn't realize this thread was started because he was injured tonight (I'm watching Bulls v 76ers), maybe you should include that? I still don't sympathize, but it certainly makes me look more cold-hearted. :oldlol:

bdreason
05-04-2012, 09:44 PM
But anyhow, you don't feel sorry for Brandon Roy?

Nope. I don't feel sorry for Brandon Roy. He's had an amazing life so far, and will probably have an amazing life moving forward.

RaininTwos
05-04-2012, 09:47 PM
I'm saying regardless of injuries, he's lived a better life than 99.9% of the people on this planet.

And I'm not telling anyone not to sympathize for him. I'm just stating that I don't.

ps - I didn't realize this thread was started because he was injured tonight (I'm watching Bulls v 76ers), maybe you should include that? I still don't sympathize, but it certainly makes me look more cold-hearted. :oldlol:

How can you say that?

Making tons of money doesn't give you an awesome life, dude still fell short of multiple career goals he had and that will haunt him for a while. I don't see why you cannot feel sorry for someone who's trying to do their job and gets hurt repeatedly, how much they make should have no say in whether or not you have compassion for someone. Clearly you value money a little too much.

According to your logic, the vast majority of this board lead privileged lives so if anything happens to them or you, no one should feel sorry because we are apart of the world's elite when it comes to income? That just sounds silly.

bdreason
05-04-2012, 10:03 PM
According to your logic, the vast majority of this board lead privileged lives so if anything happens to them or you, no one should feel sorry because we are apart of the world's elite when it comes to income? That just sounds silly.

This is indeed my logic. It's called a having World perspective.

And we aren't talking about "anything happening". We're talking about a Millionaire athlete hurting his knee.

T-Mac will be just fine.

RaininTwos
05-04-2012, 10:05 PM
This is indeed my logic. It's called a having World perspective.

And we aren't talking about "anything happening". We're talking about a Millionaire athlete hurting his knee.

T-Mac will be just fine.

Dude has had multiple knee and back problems, you are living in a dream world if you think he will be "just fine".

By the way that's called over valuing money, money doesn't make your life better than anyone. Keep believing that though, I would hate to see without it.

bdreason
05-04-2012, 10:10 PM
Dude has had multiple knee and back problems, you are living in a dream world if you think he will be "just fine"

He's playing NBA ball, so he's in better physical shape than most of the World. He also has full medical coverage, and is already financially set for retirement.

And please don't pull the, "but NBA players go bankrupt!" card... because that certainly won't garner any sympathy from me.

RaininTwos
05-04-2012, 10:20 PM
He's playing NBA ball, so he's in better physical shape than most of the World. He also has full medical coverage, and is already financially set for retirement.

And please don't pull the, "but NBA players go bankrupt!" card... because that certainly won't garner any sympathy from me.

Because him having a large bank account and low body fat percentage allows him no sympathy from you. Makes sense.:facepalm

I don't see how someone could have such a narrow view on what make's someone's life great.

DFish
05-04-2012, 10:22 PM
bdreason is either very materialistic and myopic, or simply very young.

RazorBaLade
05-04-2012, 10:24 PM

theres no limit your bank account can hit that means you never feel sad or regretful ... if you cant feel empathy towards someone who is sad then thats fine, but dont pretend like thats normal

Kiddlovesnets
05-04-2012, 10:24 PM
I dont feel bad for him, hes been overrated since he won a scoring title. How many of you still remember that he quit on his team in 2009 while the Rockets made a playoffs run to the 2nd round almost knocking down the 65 wins Lakers? Dude had chances to finally get rid of the title of a 2nd round virgin, he blew all of them.

DMV2
05-04-2012, 10:28 PM
What happened between T-Mac and Rondo? I'm going by the posts on the 1st page.

bdreason
05-04-2012, 10:31 PM
Because him having a large bank account and low body fat percentage allows him no sympathy from you. Makes sense.:facepalm

I don't see how someone could have such a narrow view on what make's someone's life great.

I have more sympathy for the average person walking down the street that can't afford medical insurance (more than 1/4th of the American population). At least when T-Mac gets hurt, he gets to see a Doctor.

I think you're the one with a narrow view of the World.

bdreason
05-04-2012, 10:35 PM
bdreason is either very materialistic and myopic, or simply very young.

Mypoic would be sitting around feeling bad for a multi-millionaire athlete who has lived his dream. At least understand the meaning of a word before you use it.

The Real JW
05-04-2012, 10:35 PM
I have more sympathy for the average person walking down the street that can't afford medical insurance (more than 1/4th of the American population). At least when T-Mac gets hurt, he gets to see a Doctor.

Dude, we're talking about a sport here. I'm not saying McGrady deserves the level of sympathy that a leukemia patient does. But in the scope of NBA discussion over basketball careers hampered or cut short by injury, I feel bad for McGrady. I don't get your objection with that.

StateOfMind12
05-04-2012, 10:38 PM
Tracy Mcgrady suffered from injuries due to his weak work-ethic. He didn't take care of his body like LeBron James does. It's not like he ever suffered from freak injuries. He kind of suffered one earlier today but he came back in the 2nd half but that is all I can think of. The rest of his injuries like the back injuries he suffered in Orlando and Houston was due to his inability to take care of his body.

If you feel bad for McGrady then I can't think of a single person you wouldn't be sympathetic about.

DFish
05-04-2012, 10:38 PM
Mypoic would be sitting around feeling bad for a multi-millionaire athlete who has lived his dream. At least understand the meaning of a word before you use it.

Master the spelling of the word before attempting to understand the meaning.

And yes, thinking that someone with money can't have ailments or struggles that warrant sympathy makes you quite myopic. Or it could just be youthful naivete.

Dictator
05-04-2012, 10:40 PM
For what? Dude is traveling the world making millions for playing fcking basketball. :lol

RaininTwos
05-04-2012, 10:41 PM

I think you're the one with a narrow view of the World.

No... I've seen and lived in less than "first world" conditions. I fully understand that Americans and Canadians make a lot of money in comparison to the rest of the world, but I am also not an idiot. I know that life is way more than money.

The fact that you have no sympathy for a guy getting hurt because he has a lot of money and healthcare is stupid, no one is shedding tears for him or preparing a eulogy, he didn't die. The fact is that a guy who has bounced back from injury after injury just cannot seem to stay healthy normally make people sympathetic. It's not that hard to understand.

bdreason
05-04-2012, 10:43 PM
Master the spelling of the word before attempting to understand it.

And yes, thinking that someone with money can't have ailments or struggles that warrant sympathy makes you quite myopic. Or it could just be youthful naivete.

Thinking a person who has made millions playing a game they love to play is tragic because they didn't reach their goals is narrow-minded. You lack an understanding of what real pain and suffering is.

And you know you've lost an argument when you start correcting spelling errors. :oldlol:

bdreason
05-04-2012, 10:46 PM
No... I've seen and lived in less than "first world" conditions. I fully understand that Americans and Canadians make a lot of money in comparison to the rest of the world, but I am also not an idiot. I know that life is way more than money.

The fact that you have no sympathy for a guy getting hurt because he has a lot of money and healthcare is stupid, no one is shedding tears for him or preparing a eulogy, he didn't die. The fact is that a guy who has bounced back from injury after injury just cannot seem to stay healthy normally make people sympathetic. It's not that hard to understand.

And I won't waste my time feeling bad for a guy who has lived most people's dreams (regardless of income) because he failed to live up to expectations. I'll save my sympathy for those that truthfully deserve it. It's not that hard to understand.

bdreason
05-04-2012, 10:48 PM
For what? Dude is traveling the world making millions for playing fcking basketball. :lol

No, no, it's a complete tragedy. Millionaire athlete got hurt and failed to live up to expectations. We should right a book or make a movie about the tragedy.

RaininTwos
05-04-2012, 10:48 PM
That's fine. I'm sure you are the type that uses anything to rationalize your self out of feeling for other people because we all are fortunate in certain aspects of life.

Oh btw, being sympathetic isnt some deep sense of sorrow like you make it out to be. what a dumbass. The only thing tragic in this thread is the fact that I wasted my time explaining how normal human being function to you. No one is crying.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
05-04-2012, 10:52 PM
I just think it's unfortunate we were robbed of greatness. From '01-04, Mac was legendary.

bdreason
05-04-2012, 10:53 PM
That's fine. I'm sure you are the type that uses anything to rationalize your self out of feeling for other people because we all are fortunate in certain aspects of life.

Keep trying to act like you know who I am. I can assure you I've done more, and do more than you've ever done for less fortunate people.

RaininTwos
05-04-2012, 10:54 PM
Keep trying to act like you know who I am. I can assure you I've done more, and do more than you've ever done for less fortunate people.
Of course.:roll:

I laughing at you because you dont even understand the concept of sympathy, so I'm thinking compassion is a reach for you as well.

bdreason
05-04-2012, 11:01 PM
Of course.:roll:

I laughing at you because you dont even understand the concept of sympathy, so I'm thinking compassion is a reach for you as well.

And I feel bad for someone with such little understanding of the real World that they sympathize for a millionaire athlete who hurts his knee.

And for the record, it's not that I don't feel any sympathy for T-Mac, it's just that he's at the very bottom of my list.

DFish
05-04-2012, 11:02 PM
Thinking a person who has made millions playing a game they love to play is tragic because they didn't reach their goals is narrow-minded. You lack an understanding of what real pain and suffering is.

You're aware that there exist varying levels of sympathy, yes? Nobody is crying that TMac's story is tragic and tear-inducing like you're trying to imply. Frankly, I'm rather indifferent to his injury struggles. But to claim that a millionaire deserves no level of sympathy is either materialistic simplicity, myopia or naivete.

And you know you've lost an argument when you start correcting spelling errors. :oldlol:

You question my understanding of a word I employ, I'll question your understanding of the same word you can't spell.

RaininTwos
05-04-2012, 11:03 PM

You just said you dont sympathize for him...wtf?

Kornheiser
05-04-2012, 11:08 PM
And for the record, it's not that I don't feel any sympathy for T-Mac, it's just that he's at the very bottom of my list.

I'm not telling anyone not to sympathize for him. I'm just stating that I don't.

I didn't realize this thread was started because he was injured tonight... I still don't sympathize, but...

Nope. I don't feel sorry for Brandon Roy.
http://i.imgur.com/FKkfk.jpg

6JamesIsKing
05-04-2012, 11:13 PM
WTF no doesn't

And Beadley is rarely even given chances

CelticBaller
05-04-2012, 11:16 PM
WTF no doesn't

And Beadley is rarely even given chances
if you mean beasley is because he a bum, always end up in the bad side of the coaches

L.Kizzle
05-04-2012, 11:17 PM
Tracy Mcgrady suffered from injuries due to his weak work-ethic. He didn't take care of his body like LeBron James does. It's not like he ever suffered from freak injuries. He kind of suffered one earlier today but he came back in the 2nd half but that is all I can think of. The rest of his injuries like the back injuries he suffered in Orlando and Houston was due to his inability to take care of his body.

If you feel bad for McGrady then I can't think of a single person you wouldn't be sympathetic about.
So Bill Walton didn't take care of himself? Or Penny Hardaway, Brandon Roy or Ralph Sampson, they all had poor work ethic and partied instead pf practicing and working out, right?

:coleman:

miller-time
05-04-2012, 11:17 PM

so only poor people deserve sympathy? how much he made was incidental. i'm sure he didn't pick up a basketball for the first time and dreamed of being a millionaire. but even if he did, his aspiration and dedication to be a successful athlete is worthy of respect. plenty of people don't make it to the pro's and most of the people who do don't make the kind of money he did. it is a big risk to forgo collage and bet on an NBA career. he has had a tough career and i think he is worthy of sympathy.

BGriffin's Dad
05-04-2012, 11:21 PM
so only poor people deserve sympathy? how much he made was incidental. i'm sure he didn't pick up a basketball for the first time and dreamed of being a millionaire. but even if he did, his aspiration and dedication to be a successful athlete is worthy of respect. plenty of people don't make it to the pro's and most of the people who do don't make the kind of money he did. it is a big risk to forgo collage and bet on an NBA career. he has had a tough career and i think he is worthy of sympathy.

yeah, bdreason you're coming off like a bit of a douchebag... :lol

i bet tmac would gladly give up a lot of his money if he were given the chance to restart his career and stay healthy

bdreason
05-04-2012, 11:30 PM
I guess it is what it is. I really don't feel bad for T-Mac. If that makes me sound like a heartless douchebag, oh well. The people who I help on a daily basis know how caring I am, so what people on a message board think about me really doesn't matter.

And good luck to T-Mac. I hope he is somehow, by the grace of god, able to make it through the rest of his tragic life.

IGotACoolStory
05-04-2012, 11:33 PM
You're taking it to the furthest extreme.

HEY LET'S MAKE A HYPERBOLE OUT OF EVERY OPINION!

I like tacos. That obviously means I want to take a taco bell hostage and have weird sex with all the taco shells.

The Macho Man
05-04-2012, 11:35 PM

I like tacos. That obviously means I want to take a taco bell hostage and have weird sex with all the taco shells.

I prefer "make love" to the taco shells

DFish
05-04-2012, 11:45 PM

Yep. You either love tacos and eat them for every meal, or you absolutely hate tacos and never touch them. This is bdreason's binary thinking.

bdreason
05-04-2012, 11:53 PM
Frankly, I'm rather indifferent to his injury struggles. But to claim that a millionaire deserves no level of sympathy is either materialistic simplicity, myopia or naivete.

You can't be indifferent and sympathetic. :roll:

Definition of indifferent - Having no particular interest or sympathy; unconcerned.

If you're going to try and sound smart on a message board by using sophisticated words, you might want to double check your definitions first. :oldlol:

DFish
05-04-2012, 11:59 PM
You can't be indifferent and sympathetic. :roll:

Definition of indifferent - Having no particular interest or sympathy; unconcerned.

If you're going to try and sound smart on a message board by using sophisticated words, you might want to double check your definitions first. :oldlol:

Um, I never said that I personally sympathized with McGrady. I said that him being a millionaire doesn't mean that he's undeserving of any sympathy. There's a difference.

I do find it funny that you think "indifference" is a sophisticated word though. :oldlol:

bdreason
05-05-2012, 12:06 AM
Um, I never said that I personally sympathized with McGrady. I said that him being a millionaire doesn't mean that he's undeserving of any sympathy. There's a difference.

I do find it funny that you think "indifference" is a sophisticated word though. :oldlol:

And I never said I didn't sympathize with T-Mac just because he was rich. In fact, I stated that wasn't the case at all.

And I was referring to your use of the words "myopic" and "naivete", which are hardly common usage words, especially on a message board. You also used them both incorrectly. :oldlol:

So why don't you have any sympathy for T-Mac? You must be a heartless douchebag.

miggyme1
05-05-2012, 12:18 AM

Wealthy?its a big difference between rich and wealthy.tmac is rich.wealthy is a state of mind and your health.try to learn the difference

DFish
05-05-2012, 12:27 AM
And I never said I didn't sympathize with T-Mac just because he was rich. In fact, I stated that wasn't the case at all.

You came into thread throwing a fit because some people felt bad for McGrady.

Then you continued on your tangent for the next several pages. Filled with plenty of contradictions as well. First it's, "Lol I don't have sympathy for him, he's got money!" then it's, "Hey, I never said I didn't have any sympathy for him." Please. :oldlol:

And I was referring to your use of the words "myopic" and "naivete", which are hardly common usage words

Sure they are. You having a restricted vocabulary doesn't mean the same is true for others, especially those formally educated.

You also used them both incorrectly.

I certainly didn't. You did, however, misspell at least one of them.

So why don't you have any sympathy for T-Mac? You must be a heartless douchebag.

Because I've never been a fan of him or any of his past teams. Other people having sympathy for him despite his wealth doesn't confuse or bother me though.

The Real JW
05-05-2012, 12:34 AM
Wealthy?its a big difference between rich and wealthy.tmac is rich.wealthy is a state of mind and your health.try to learn the difference

[B]wealth

miller-time
05-05-2012, 12:34 AM
I guess it is what it is. I really don't feel bad for T-Mac. If that makes me sound like a heartless douchebag, oh well. The people who I help on a daily basis know how caring I am, so what people on a message board think about me really doesn't matter.

And good luck to T-Mac. I hope he is somehow, by the grace of god, able to make it through the rest of his tragic life.

we all know how caring t-mac is though.

http://www.tracymcgradyfoundation.com/

bdreason
05-05-2012, 12:45 AM
Because I've never been a fan of him or any of his past teams. Other people having sympathy for him despite his wealth doesn't confuse or bother me though.

The only person contradicting themselves is you. You tried to call me out for not having sympathy for T-Mac, while accidentally admitting you don't have sympathy for him either. I guess you're just "myopic" and "naivete". :oldlol:

And since when do you have to be fan of someone to have sympathy for them? I assume your reasons for not having sympathy are actually similar to my own, only admitting them destroys your entire argument.

The only people throwing a fit in this thread are the people crying because I don't have sympathy for T-Mac... which includes you... despite the fact that you admit you don't have sympathy for him either. :confusedshrug:

And rest assured, your academic credentials don't match up to mine. Keep working on that vocabulary though, I'm sure some of the teenagers on ISH are impressed.

JMT
05-05-2012, 09:35 AM
How can you say that?

Making tons of money doesn't give you an awesome life, dude still fell short of multiple career goals he had and that will haunt him for a while. .

How do you know this? Maybe he's content with the cards life has dealt him.

Go Getter
05-05-2012, 09:53 AM
I agree with bdreason. McGrady doesn't need my sympathy.

BlueCrayon
05-05-2012, 12:31 PM

Lmao we are talking about this from a basketball perspective. Obviously millions of people have it worse than Tracy McGrady but that has nothing to do with the discussion....

ImmortalNemesis
05-05-2012, 12:47 PM
Pretty much what BlueCrayon said. I think its important to differentiate McGrady as a player and as a person.

As a player I do feel bad for McGrady. He never got out of the first round. Injuries ruined his career. He was an all star with great potential to be one of the all time greats. Unfortunately for him (and all of us Rocket fans in Houston) he never could played fully healthy. Its actually quite impressive how McGrady was able to perform at an all star level even with all his injuries. Houston only played TWO playoff series with both him and Yao. Its a shame but it happens. Whatever salary he gets and how he lives his life are irrelevant when it comes to having to sympathize with a player.

As a person? I don't feel bad for McGrady. He's a millionaire who gets paid to play basketball. He'll be OK. Is certainly not the end of the world for him. :lol

The_Yearning
05-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Lmao...I never thought I see the day bdreason destroying clowns in a thread. Then again, this isn't a basketball thread.

The Iron Fist
05-05-2012, 01:01 PM
Better life? Based on what? Jr Seau might disagree.

theaussieguy
05-05-2012, 01:19 PM
The only person contradicting themselves is you. You tried to call me out for not having sympathy for T-Mac, while accidentally admitting you don't have sympathy for him either. I guess you're just "myopic" and "naivete". :oldlol:

And since when do you have to be fan of someone to have sympathy for them? I assume your reasons for not having sympathy are actually similar to my own, only admitting them destroys your entire argument.

The only people throwing a fit in this thread are the people crying because I don't have sympathy for T-Mac... which includes you... despite the fact that you admit you don't have sympathy for him either. :confusedshrug:

And rest assured, your academic credentials don't match up to mine. Keep working on that vocabulary though, I'm sure some of the teenagers on ISH are impressed.

you didn't lay the hammer down, u dropped a b52 cargo load of jack hammers on his ass

Dictator
05-05-2012, 03:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjH2yKRKa84

Tmac's suffering while some people on earth don't even know about electricity yet. Hell some africans didn't even know white people existed......:rolleyes: :facepalm

AMISTILLILL
05-05-2012, 03:48 PM
****ing dirty ass player, Rondo.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_le0wjuXzmi1qa2e7ho1_500.jpg

swi7ch
05-05-2012, 03:50 PM
next: d rose

bizil
05-05-2012, 05:43 PM
I feel bad for Mac cause he was destined for the HOF. If u think about it, he redefined the SG spot more than ANYBODY this era. U have a guy 6'9 or some say even 6'10 with a George Gervin type scoring skillset. But Mac added three point range to that skillset. He was an excellent passer and very versatile. He could easily play PG, SG, and SF at tremendous levels. He was more of a willing passer than Kobe (who is a great passer as well). And to top it off, T Mac was a freak athlete as well. This kind of SG at his size was NEVER seen before in the L.

Peak value wise, I think my top six SG's of all time would be MJ, Kobe, T Mac, Wade, West, and Drexler. That's how good T Mac was at his best. And even though his career got hampered by injuries, he got more out of his career than G Hill or Penny. T Mac ended up 7 time All NBA and a 7 time All Star. He also has 18,381 career points and is a two time scoring champ. He just needed two to three more great years and he was a lock for the HOF. Cause then u would be talking a 10 time all star and 10 time all NBA guy.

The Macho Man
05-05-2012, 05:57 PM
Better life? Based on what? Jr Seau might disagree.

Fine, the requisite post of someone refusing to have sympathy for someone who is better off than they are.

Though I do assume he has a better life too.

Euroleague
05-05-2012, 06:33 PM
T-Mac had numerous easy shots at the bucket that he just missed. The guy is a natural born loser. He proves it over and over.

Huge talent, maybe the most talented ever.........but he just has a loser's mindset.

And for the people that keep saying he has not gotten out of the first round - just shut up already.

He ALREADY got to the second round with the Rockets.