PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else think Amare might be put on the trade block this off-season?

StateOfMind12
05-01-2012, 01:12 AM
Does anyone else think that the Knicks might break up this Melo-Amare tandem during the off-season? It seems like these two don't fit well together and these two also have a tendency to play better without each other. Melo had his best games, player of the month type games when Amare was out.

It would probably be smart if the Knicks did try to ship Amare out but then again it's the Knicks.

SpecialQue
05-01-2012, 01:13 AM
His health means there won't be many takers.

Doranku
05-01-2012, 01:14 AM
Who is going to want this heartless, allergic to defense and rebounding, overrated piece of trash?

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
05-01-2012, 01:14 AM
Who is going to want this heartless, allergic to defense and rebounding, overrated piece of trash?

Damn, go harder. :lol

TMT
05-01-2012, 01:15 AM

His contract means there won't be many takers.

DTreats
05-01-2012, 01:15 AM
There were plenty of teams that wanted Carmelo Anthony...

NewYorkNoPicks
05-01-2012, 01:17 AM
Sixers wanted him in November, Magic wanted him around January.

Nobody will want him now. The way he has declined, it's been an exponentially sharp drop. Atleast it seems like his athletcism has returned, but we all know athleticism is one of the most finite attributes an nba player has. Without athleticism and explosiveness Amare is no longer elite.

I'd try to dump him and Chandler in a package deal. Why Chandler too? If we re-up Jeremy Lin and Fields, but trade Amare alone for an expiring deal it wouldn't be enough to put us under the cap. Chandler is getting older as well so why not dump him, get close to 15 mill under the cap again and try to sign another big name.

Maybe the Houston Rockets would want Amare; they're really desperate for a big name, and maybe with a dynamic point guard like Dragic (or Lowry) Amare can shine for them and propell that team toward the playoffs, all while possibly saving GM Darryl Morey's job.

G-train
05-01-2012, 01:18 AM
He is basically untradeable as his contract isn't insured.
Only a very rich team that is one good piece from a title would risk it.

NewYorkNoPicks
05-01-2012, 01:19 AM

If you think he's heartless you've never watched the guy or followed his career. He's one of the hardest working players in the league. A great team leader and lockerroom presence.

Explain how someone works back from 2 microfracture knee surgeries, months of lying solely on your back to ensure your detatched retina heals, and returns to elite form? A lesser man wouldve retired

ImmortalNemesis
05-01-2012, 01:20 AM
Knicks and their bad contracts lol. When will they learn?

Kurosawa0
Nah, the Knicks are stuck with him.

outbreak
The only team i see taking a risk is Houston, they have said they want a star and from the looks of previous trades mentioning them they'll take anyone.

KDTrey5
"the analyst" lol

fos
05-01-2012, 01:21 AM
Good luck finding a taker. I don't understand why don't run the pick and roll w/ him more.

ImmortalNemesis
05-01-2012, 01:22 AM
The only team i see taking a risk is Houston, they have said they want a star and from the looks of previous trades mentioning them they'll take anyone.

**** that shit. I don't want that overrated piece of trash that can't play defense nor rebound the ball. Houston doesn't want him.

NewYorkNoPicks
05-01-2012, 01:23 AM
**** that shit. I don't want that overrated piece of trash that can't play defense nor rebound the ball. Houston doesn't want him.

They wanted Pau GaSoft

DTreats
05-01-2012, 01:23 AM
They don't have any bad contracts...

How about the Hawks for Joe Johnson?

Amare/Shumpert for JJ

Teague
Shumpert
Smith
Stoudemire
Horford

Lin
Johnson
Anthony
Harrelson
Chandler

InspiredLebowski
05-01-2012, 01:26 AM
12/13: $19.4 million
13/14: 21.6
14/15: 23.4

With the progressive lux tax kicking in. Good luck.

StateOfMind12
Maybe the Houston Rockets would want Amare; they're really desperate for a big name, and maybe with a dynamic point guard like Dragic (or Lowry) Amare can shine for them and propell that team toward the playoffs, all while possibly saving GM Darryl Morey's job.
I heard the Rockets are going to attempt to trade Lowry and other players on the team for Bosh when the season is over. It wouldn't surprise me if the Rockets started to shift their focus on getting Amare now instead of Bosh.

He is basically untradeable as his contract isn't insured.
Only a very rich team that is one good piece from a title would risk it.
Rockets and Pacers are the only two teams that I can think of that are in need of a star but Rockets are probably the most realistic.

ImmortalNemesis
They wanted Pau GaSoft

I would take Gasoft over Amare's trash-ass 10 times out of 10. No questions asked. Gasol can actually grab a rebound.

NewYorkNoPicks
They don't have any bad contracts...

How about the Hawks for Joe Johnson?

Amare/Shumpert for JJ

Teague
Shumpert
Smith
Stoudemire
Horford

Lin
Johnson
Anthony
Harrelson
Chandler

Even though I'm not a fan, Knicks should contact the Lakers and ask for Gasol. Amare has trouble creating offense for himself, and that is why sometimes the team has trouble winning games. Melo can't do it all himself. Gasol would be able to legitimately create his own shot. I'd demand a future 1st rounder from the Lakers though, in about 2 or 3 years that pick will be worth something

G-train
05-01-2012, 01:27 AM
They wanted Pau GaSoft

Gasol is a brilliant basketballer with many attributes Amare doesnt possess.

NewYorkNoPicks
05-01-2012, 01:29 AM
I would take Gasoft over Amare's trash-ass 10 times out of 10. No questions asked. Gasol can actually grab a rebound.

Amare averaged 9 rebounds last year, and 8 point something this year.... Bargnani grabs 5 per... How does 9 or 8 rebounds make you a poor rebounder? If anything he's just average in that category.

Let me know when Gasol isn't scared to attack the rim, or does something even remotely as ferocious as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiAjZe_-XNk

NewYorkNoPicks
05-01-2012, 01:31 AM
Gasol is a brilliant basketballer with many attributes Amare doesnt possess.

Put prime Gasol on the mid 2000's Suns team and they wouldn't even escape the 1st round.

Prime Amare is one of the most offensively dominant and explosive players in NBA history.

Remember when Amare averaged 39ppg on Tim Duncan in the playoffs? Or is 5 years ago before you began watching basketball?

Haymaker
05-01-2012, 01:33 AM
Is there any way Knicks could trade Amare for Rondo? Ainge wants to get rid of Rondo, Amare is the scorer he's been looking for.

AKADS
05-01-2012, 01:33 AM
Amares contract is in the Gilbert Arenas / Rashard Lewis level right now and worst is it is uninsured.

As said in another thread the Knicks are probably looking if they can void his contract after this incident.

No one will take on 3 more years at 65 million.

DTreats
05-01-2012, 01:35 AM
Is there any way Knicks could trade Amare for Rondo? Ainge wants to get rid of Rondo, Amare is the scorer he's been looking for.
:oldlol:

I don't think the Celtics have any contracts that they could use to trade for Amare.

Paul Pierce/Rondo

for

Amar'e/Lin

stallionaire
05-01-2012, 01:36 AM
:roll: :roll:

Kobe 4 The Win
05-01-2012, 01:40 AM
I can't belive he got the deal that he got with NY. If I'm a GM there's no way I want this guy.

ImmortalNemesis
05-01-2012, 01:41 AM
Amare averaged 9 rebounds last year, and 8 point something this year.... Bargnani grabs 5 per... How does 9 or 8 rebounds make you a poor rebounder? If anything he's just average in that category.

Let me know when Gasol isn't scared to attack the rim, or does something even remotely as ferocious as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiAjZe_-XNk

Cool dunk. Let me know when an Amare led team can actually win a playoff game. Gasol has 2 rings as the 2nd option. I doubt Amare even reached the conference finals more than once. Don't ever disrespect Gasol again. They don't belong in the same sentence. Gasol is an elite post-scorer with great versatility. Amare is an overrated jump shooting big man. And Amare isn't even a better shooter than "Gasoft." :oldlol:

G-train
05-01-2012, 01:41 AM
Put prime Gasol on the mid 2000's Suns team and they wouldn't even escape the 1st round.

Prime Amare is one of the most offensively dominant and explosive players in NBA history.

Remember when Amare averaged 39ppg on Tim Duncan in the playoffs? Or is 5 years ago before you began watching basketball?

1. That Amare is gone. I watched every game of that series. Shall I list the injuries he has had since then?
2. I have watched the NBA for over 20 years.
3. Pau Gasol doesn't average 30 ppg. He is a well rounded, high IQ player, not a volume scorer.

You stupid fat piece of poopy.

:coleman:

outbreak
05-01-2012, 01:43 AM
Didn't mean houston fans want him, just meant by statements from your ownership desperately seeking a star player that maybe they'd settle for Amare. I could also see GSW taking a chance on him as well for some reason. But pretty much no small market will take a chance on his contract, there's a good reason why Phoenix wouldn't give him a max contract.

G-train
05-01-2012, 01:45 AM
Didn't mean houston fans want him, just meant by statements from your ownership desperately seeking a star player that maybe they'd settle for Amare. I could also see GSW taking a chance on him as well for some reason. But pretty much no small market will take a chance on his contract, there's a good reason why Phoenix wouldn't give him a max contract.

Houston is ran by Morey and his complex formulas plus a few other factors. They are slowly building a nice team that fits together.
No way Morey would trade for Amare unless he was perfectly compatible within his team. I dont have access to his systems, so I dont know.
They have a better player than Amare already anyway, Lowry.

TheBluest
05-01-2012, 01:50 AM

And trade for DA-WHITE Howard?

HorryIsMyMVP
05-01-2012, 01:52 AM
Lol alot of people would have averaged 39 with a prime 2 time mvp. Amare was a great catch and dunk guy. And he did that well off the wide open looks Nash got him.

LBJDW305
05-01-2012, 01:54 AM
Sucks because the Knicks were a great team BEFORE Carmelo. STAT having a hell of a season. Fans cheering MVP. Now melo comes and ****s shit up

ClutchOver9000
05-01-2012, 02:00 AM
Sucks because the Knicks were a great team BEFORE Carmelo. STAT having a hell of a season. Fans cheering MVP.

they were sub 500 :lol

Scoooter
The addition of Melo has completely destroyed Amar'e's stint in NY. He's taken fewer shots in these last two playoff games combined than Melo has in either one.

Trade him to another team and watch him drop 25+per/game on over 50% again. That way Carmelo can fail in the first round all by himself again.

knickswin
it is unfortunate ...

at this point, i feel sorry for him, because I think this has been a tough year for him. his older brother died unexpectedly, and that must have taken its toll ... the fans have turned on him ... which is sad, but it's hard to see how this franchise can have success with the melo/amar'e tandem

I think a trade with the pistons could work ... they have some bad contracts in ben gordon and charlie villanueva and even tayshaun prince that they might be willing to move for stoudemire ... that makes sense for the knicks because those guys can shoot

could they bring back david lee? maybe. david's contract is cheaper, but longer. he would fit better with melo

there might be a deal to be had with the bobcats for some of their crap ...

then there are rashard lewis's and elton brand's expiring contracts ....

Kiddlovesnets
05-01-2012, 02:01 AM
He will stay in NY, its not like the Knicks can get a player better than him in return.

Scoooter
05-01-2012, 02:02 AM
they were sub 500 :lol
They were over .500 at the time of the trade last year, and dropped under .500, from the 6th seed to the 7th seed, for a time after the trade.

At least get the facts straight.

chazzy
05-01-2012, 02:10 AM
Even though I'm not a fan, Knicks should contact the Lakers and ask for Gasol. Amare has trouble creating offense for himself, and that is why sometimes the team has trouble winning games. Melo can't do it all himself. Gasol would be able to legitimately create his own shot. I'd demand a future 1st rounder from the Lakers though, in about 2 or 3 years that pick will be worth something
Gasol AND a pick? Lol no

ClutchOver9000
05-01-2012, 02:12 AM
They were over .500 at the time of the trade last year, and dropped under .500, from the 6th seed to the 7th seed, for a time after the trade.

At least get the facts straight.

you're right, over by a couple games if not mistaken...

anyhow, that team wasnt gonna do no damage in the playoffs either lets not kid ourselves...

to act like that team was "great" is hilarious. Exciting? Sure...

Scoooter
05-01-2012, 02:15 AM
you're right, over by a couple games if not mistaken...

anyhow, that team wasnt gonna do no damage in the playoffs either lets not kid ourselves...

to act like that team was "great" is hilarious. Exciting? Sure...
That team was exciting because of the potential for the future.

Well, the future is here, and it is bleak.

Kiddlovesnets
05-01-2012, 02:46 AM
The Bulls will trade Boozer for Amare in a heartbeat, question is will Knicks do it?
:lol

Cali Syndicate
05-01-2012, 02:52 AM
The Knicks were a better team before they traded for Melo. Knicks should have set their eyes on CP3 or DWill, not Melo. Now they're just screwed cause most teams aren't gonna want Amare and his fat contract, not because he fell off but because the Knicks set him up for failure and his value is plummeting.

Fiasco
05-01-2012, 02:54 AM
Does anyone think Amar'e is going to get moved with that uninsured contract?

qrich
05-01-2012, 03:03 AM
Amare, Two Firsts for Elton Brand's corpse and expiring contract :bowdown:

Fiasco
05-01-2012, 03:12 AM
Amare, Two Firsts for Elton Brand's corpse and expiring contract :bowdown:

The only trade where everybody loses. :roll:

Scoooter
05-01-2012, 03:15 AM
If you trade for a guy, can there be a stipulation in the deal that forces the other team (in this example, the Knicks) to continue to pay a portion of said players salary?

knickswin
05-01-2012, 03:22 AM
The Knicks were a better team before they traded for Melo. Knicks should have set their eyes on CP3 or DWill, not Melo. Now they're just screwed cause most teams aren't gonna want Amare and his fat contract, not because he fell off but because the Knicks set him up for failure and his value is plummeting.

I hate how this stupid franchise is where people go to have their careers ruined ... I think Amar'e is a very flawed player but it is SAD the situation he was put in ... it's not melo's fault; it's not mike d'antoni's fault; it's not entirely amar'e's fault either ... it's just SAD how so many people come here and get put in impossible situations ... same DAMN thing with Stephon Marbury ... just SAD. they just put everyone in situations where they can't succeed because they have no regard for how the talent -- be it coaches or players -- fits.

really, the melo and amar'e pairing was flawed from the get-go. if they wanted melo, they shouldn't have given amar'e that contract last summer (and the rumors of melo wanting new york went back to spring 2010 at least). if you want to build around amar'e, then you need to target a point guard and HEAVILY target marc gasol.

it's sad to me. amar'e is a good guy, and he is in a bad place right now. his brother died and his team would be better off without him. i think he needs to be traded, but it's not something i relish ...

knickswin
05-01-2012, 03:29 AM
Does anyone think Amar'e is going to get moved with that uninsured contract?

yeah, because he's not the only crappy contract in the league

david lee's contract goes on for four more years, yikes, so warriors would pick up the phone. if the knicks wanted richard jefferson (or andris biedrins) and david lee for amar'e they could probably get it (not saying they want it ...)

pistons have a ton of crap (CV still has two years left, and I'm not sure he even plays)

okafor's contract sucks

pairing melo and joe johnson is just a bad idea in my opinion, but hawks might pick up the phone on that one

maybe the bobcats would hand over some of their crap (tyrus thomas's deal is very bad)

maybe boozer (would never happen, though)

EricForman
05-01-2012, 03:31 AM
Amare is untradeable. Which team would take him on? Even the fire extinguisher is talking trash to him :oldlol:

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2012/05/the_knicks_lose.php

blablabla
05-01-2012, 05:06 AM
trade him to the rockets

qrich
05-01-2012, 05:08 AM
The only trade where everybody loses. :roll:

Neither team likes it = Good deal! Get it done

Teanett
05-01-2012, 05:30 AM
If you think he's heartless you've never watched the guy or followed his career. He's one of the hardest working players in the league. A great team leader and lockerroom presence.

Explain how someone works back from 2 microfracture knee surgeries, months of lying solely on your back to ensure your detatched retina heals, and returns to elite form? A lesser man wouldve retired
:applause:

Owl
05-01-2012, 06:23 AM
I heard the Rockets are going to attempt to trade Lowry and other players on the team for Bosh when the season is over. It wouldn't surprise me if the Rockets started to shift their focus on getting Amare now instead of Bosh.
I it would surprise me though. Why on earth would they take on Amar'e's crippled, non-defending, non-rebounding ass and horrendous contract over younger, cheaper, less injured, better players (that applies to both Lowry and Bosh).

Good luck with that. The Lakers would laugh in your face at a straight up trade, so yeah sure demand a pick whilst you're at it. This isn't 2004-05 Amar'e isn't a beast anymore and his best weapon, his athleticism is gone, he's coming off an awful year, is a poor defender, has a bad contract and a worrying injury history making his body "older"/more fragile than his age would indicate.
The Lakers are absolutely willing to trade Gasol, but in order to get a superstar, not someone else's trash.

JGXEN
05-01-2012, 07:00 AM
Hey brah, I believe after this season, Amare's still owed $60M over 3 years right? Damn, that contract is looking worse than JJ's.

bagelred
05-01-2012, 07:16 AM

There would be PLENTY of takers. But Knicks wouldn't like what they would get back. Amar'e's value all time low.

Real Men Wear Green
05-01-2012, 07:24 AM
Sixers wanted him in November, Magic wanted him around January.

Nobody will want him now. The way he has declined, it's been an exponentially sharp drop. Atleast it seems like his athletcism has returned, but we all know athleticism is one of the most finite attributes an nba player has. Without athleticism and explosiveness Amare is no longer elite.

I'd try to dump him and Chandler in a package deal. Why Chandler too? If we re-up Jeremy Lin and Fields, but trade Amare alone for an expiring deal it wouldn't be enough to put us under the cap. Chandler is getting older as well so why not dump him, get close to 15 mill under the cap again and try to sign another big name.

Who would they be getting back? Your deal would leave NY without any bigs. Melo vs the World would just make NY trash. 4 (or whatever) years later you've got a few late lottery picks and Melo set to join any Contender that will give him the full MLE.
:oldlol:

I don't think the Celtics have any contracts that they could use to trade for Amare.

Paul Pierce/Rondo

for

Amar'e/Lin
We'd throw Ainge off the Zakim bridge. That's one of the worst deals I've ever seen.

bagelred
05-01-2012, 07:38 AM
I'll give you a couple of VERY plausible trade scenarios if Knicks truly wanted Amar'e gone (assuming Amar'e's hand and back are fine).

Knicks get Anderson Verajao and Omri Casspi
Cavs get Amar'e

Knicks get another great defender/rebounder, and a solid wing player to complement Melo. Knicks also clear some payroll. Cavs get a player to pair up with Kyrie Irving, and STILL have cap space for more moves later.

Cavs would DEFINITELY do that. Guaranteed.

Knicks get Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva
Pistons get Amar'e

Again, no question Pistons do that.

Just two off top of my head.

AKADS
05-01-2012, 08:57 AM
Cavs would laugh at the deal above. There rebuilding and Varejo isn't going anywhere

longtime lurker
05-01-2012, 09:05 AM
Instead of shipping Amare out the Knicks should make a hard push to bring Steve Nash in. He seems to be the only guy that Amare has chemistry with. Even in a reserve role backing up Linn he could still significantly help Amare's game. Shipping him out for role players would just create another Denver nuggets situation for the Knicks

Real Men Wear Green
05-01-2012, 09:31 AM
Instead of shipping Amare out the Knicks should make a hard push to bring Steve Nash in. He seems to be the only guy that Amare has chemistry with. Even in a reserve role backing up Linn he could still significantly help Amare's game. Shipping him out for role players would just create another Denver nuggets situation for the Knicks
Nash isn't backing up Lin. Of course, he isn't going to NY either. If he leaves Phoenix (and he probably is) he's doing it to win a Championship, not muddle through a season with a barely-over .500 ballclub and maybe win the Atlantic.

BlackWhiteGreen
05-01-2012, 09:37 AM
Nash isn't backing up Lin. Of course, he isn't going to NY either. If he leaves Phoenix (and he probably is) he's doing it to win a Championship, not muddle through a season with a barely-over .500 ballclub and maybe win the Atlantic.

Bit of a sidebar, but I don't know where Nash fits best for a championship team. The Lakers, probably, but does Kobe let Nash handle the ball as much as he needs to?

Two birds with one stone: the Magic go all out for Nash, then trade for Amare? If they kept JRich and Turkoglu (likely as NY would want no part of their deals) isn't that a team with the potential to win a championship?

Nash
Richardson
Turkoglu
Stoudemire
Howard

Real Men Wear Green
05-01-2012, 09:46 AM
Bit of a sidebar, but I don't know where Nash fits best for a championship team. The Lakers, probably, but does Kobe let Nash handle the ball as much as he needs to?

Two birds with one stone: the Magic go all out for Nash, then trade for Amare? If they kept JRich and Turkoglu (likely as NY would want no part of their deals) isn't that a team with the potential to win a championship?

Nash
Richardson
Turkoglu
Stoudemire
Howard
LA traded for Sessions so they probably aren't going to be in the market for Nash, but you never know. I think I recall him saying complimentary things about the Heat and if he just wants to win that would be his best option. Your Orlando idea isn't impossible but the major question mark is who gets traded to bring in STAT. We don't know what the relationship with Howard is like and that just leads to a bunch of other x-factors. If I was Nash there's no way I take that messy situation over Miami.

el gringos
05-01-2012, 10:36 AM
With the magic the knicks would hope for Ryan Anderson in a frontloaded contract or anderson + turkoglu

Pistons- villenueva + ben gordon + austin day for amare + toney douglas

Sixers- Hawes and vucevic

All three of those trades would be great for the knicks but not close to as great as the dynasty making trade that could be possible with Toronto

Amare+ Jeremy Lin + Fields + picks for Bargnani + Calderon + kleiza and/or amir johnson

----------
Amare is not done, he's just a bad fit next to the best "power 3" there is. You only get superstar out of Carmelo if he plays around the hoop w floor spacing shooters- he isn't the lebron typ "perimiter 3"

Real Men Wear Green
05-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Dynasty...wow.

BlackVVaves
05-01-2012, 10:54 AM
Did NewYorkNoPicks really suggest that the Lakers should not only trade Gasol for Amare, but give the Knicks a first rounder as well? :roll:

Forget why would the Lakers give up one of the most coveted bigs in the league right now for a injury-prone, defensively allergic, horrid contract carrying Amare. Why the **** would they give a first round too? :oldlol:

Amare literally does nothing, nothing, better than Pau anymore. Unless you count dunking on Tyrus Thomas as an attribute.

Get real.

Horde of Temujin
05-01-2012, 10:58 AM
Knicks are stuck with that horrible contract. Where are all of those fans who were leaping for joy when they signed him? I always felt that they paid waaaaaay too much for him even for the level production he was putting up initially.

bagelred
05-01-2012, 11:18 AM
Cavs would laugh at the deal above. There rebuilding and Varejo isn't going anywhere

They would do it in a heartbeat.

Sarcastic
05-01-2012, 11:22 AM
Give the Knicks a full year, with training camp, and a decent coach before we decide to trade away key pieces. Amar'e and Melo still have not even played 82 games together, nor had a full training camp together. On top of that, they were coached by someone that was unwilling to adapt his offense to his personnel, and were riddled by injuries.

Sometimes you need to stop being a prisoner of the moment and look at the big picture. There was no chance that this team could win a ring this year. But with the correct changes, this team moving forward will be a contender.

chips93
05-01-2012, 11:23 AM
I'll give you a couple of VERY plausible trade scenarios if Knicks truly wanted Amar'e gone (assuming Amar'e's hand and back are fine).

Knicks get Anderson Verajao and Omri Casspi
Cavs get Amar'e

Knicks get another great defender/rebounder, and a solid wing player to complement Melo. Knicks also clear some payroll. Cavs get a player to pair up with Kyrie Irving, and STILL have cap space for more moves later.

Cavs would DEFINITELY do that. Guaranteed.

nope

gilbert has been very careful with this team, and the cavs organization has made it very clear that they value varejao immensely

why would we want a 30 year old, who plays no defense, and has a horrible contract, and would be a bad presence for our youngsters, when we arent gonna compete anyway

terrible trade

knickswin
05-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Give the Knicks a full year, with training camp, and a decent coach before we decide to trade away key pieces. Amar'e and Melo still have not even played 82 games together, nor had a full training camp together. On top of that, they were coached by someone that was unwilling to adapt his offense to his personnel, and were riddled by injuries.

Sometimes you need to stop being a prisoner of the moment and look at the big picture. There was no chance that this team could win a ring this year. But with the correct changes, this team moving forward will be a contender.

they've been together for over a year! what are we waiting for here? for one of them to completely revamp his game? for amar'e to learn how to pass and defer? for melo to become the second option? for amar'e to become a legitimate stretch four or post player? we can keep making excuses for them until infinity. i think there is more than enough evidence to say this is not a good pairing.

Sarcastic
05-01-2012, 11:34 AM
they've been together for over a year! what are we waiting for here? for one of them to completely revamp his game? for amar'e to learn how to pass and defer? for melo to become the second option? for amar'e to become a legitimate stretch four or post player? we can keep making excuses for them until infinity. i think there is more than enough evidence to say this is not a good pairing.

About 20 games last year after a midseason trade. This year probably about 40 games together after all the injuries. No real training camp whatsoever.

Look how long Wade and Lebron took to finally mesh, and the jury is still out if it will work. And they have had consistent coaching, and training together. Amare and Melo have had neither. Plus how many different point guards have the Knicks had? The Heat have had a pretty consistent lineup for the past 2 years. The Knicks have had about 20 different lineups.

knickswin
05-01-2012, 11:40 AM
About 20 games last year after a midseason trade. This year probably about 40 games together after all the injuries. No real training camp whatsoever.

Look how long Wade and Lebron took to finally mesh, and the jury is still out if it will work. And they have had consistent coaching, and training together. Amare and Melo have had neither. Plus how many different point guards have the Knicks had? The Heat have had a pretty consistent lineup for the past 2 years. The Knicks have had about 20 different lineups.

ehhh I don't want to get into this ... but come on. this is lebron james and dwyane wade and carmelo anthony and amar'e stoudemire. totally different conversation. lebron and wade are a bad fit, and there are some people who will tell you that will always be a problem with miami. but they are lebron and dwyane wade. two of the biggest talents in the league. those two dominate in any environment. they are both ball dominant and dribble a lot. they don't need their teammates to set them up.

amar'e has a much narrower niche. he does not put the ball on the floor well. he does not post up much at all. he needs a pick and roll centered system to shine. he's in a totally different class. he needs a different environment to shine.

Blue&Orange
05-01-2012, 11:41 AM
I still want a full season with everyone healthy and a coach not named D'Antoni. This team, this players deserve that before doing anything drastic.

Lin, Shumpert, Melo, Amare, Chandler that's a great starting five right there. Dam shame they could be getting more playoff experience this year if they managed to at least get the 6th seed.

DStebb716
05-01-2012, 11:44 AM
The only way that an Amare and Melo team wins a chip is if Steve Nash is the point guard. Not happening.

DStebb716
05-01-2012, 11:46 AM
I still want a full season with everyone healthy and a coach not named D'Antoni. This team, this players deserve that before doing anything drastic.

Lin, Shumpert, Melo, Amare, Chandler that's a great starting five right there. Dam shame they could be getting more playoff experience this year if they managed to at least get the 6th seed.

This isn't NBA 2K12. Those pieces don't fit. Amare and Melo just don't fit, and Lin isn't the PG to make them fit. Lin doesn't fit with Melo, but fits with Amare. Melo fits with Chandler but not Chandler AND Amare.

LBJDW305
05-01-2012, 11:47 AM
Knick fans wanted the 7th seed. Wanted Miami. You got it now

Darius
05-01-2012, 11:51 AM

What does Prime Amare have to do with today's Amare? :confusedshrug:

Rekindled
05-01-2012, 11:52 AM

that's a terrible lineup.

no one can shoot the three consistently to space the floor, amare and chandler logs up the lane for Lin to do anything, Melo and Amare dont fit

knickswin
05-01-2012, 11:54 AM
amar'e is a flawed player, but I don't think he's trash. I think that on the right team he could be a difference maker. he is one year removed from leading the knicks to a 6th seed. you have to play his type of ball -- spread court, lots of pick and rolls -- but he still has something to offer.

Sarcastic
05-01-2012, 11:56 AM
that's a terrible lineup.

no one can shoot the three consistently to space the floor, amare and chandler logs up the lane for Lin to do anything, Melo and Amare dont fit

Who do the Heat have in their starting lineup that can consistently shoot the 3? Who do the Bulls have in their starting lineup that can consistently shoot the 3?

knickswin
05-01-2012, 11:57 AM
With the magic the knicks would hope for Ryan Anderson in a frontloaded contract or anderson + turkoglu

Pistons- villenueva + ben gordon + austin day for amare + toney douglas

Sixers- Hawes and vucevic

All three of those trades would be great for the knicks but not close to as great as the dynasty making trade that could be possible with Toronto

Amare+ Jeremy Lin + Fields + picks for Bargnani + Calderon + kleiza and/or amir johnson

----------
Amare is not done, he's just a bad fit next to the best "power 3" there is. You only get superstar out of Carmelo if he plays around the hoop w floor spacing shooters- he isn't the lebron typ "perimiter 3"

I don't know why no one else understands how awesome melo and bargnani would be together ... you get two dynamic scorers who fit perfectly together and open the court up for each other

I think the pistons deal is more realistic though and would also help the knicks to some extent

rezznor
05-01-2012, 12:08 PM
hell no. **** that.

Crown&Coke
05-01-2012, 12:11 PM
I think STAT would be a perfect fit next to Duncan in SAS. I know, they aint trading for him. But the guy would benefit greatly next to TD. Would be able to hide his flaws while still be able to roam the perimeter while Timmy mans the paint. Imagine the space those two would create for one another

everyone jumping on Amare right now, and rightfully so. He made a bonehead move and might be out for the series. But I still think dude got game, but him and Melo need the exact same space on the floor to be effective enough to warrant their contracts.

JSmoove looking to get out of ATL, perfect trade partner as his deal is expiring next year I think. They can go hi/low with Amare/Horford, Al can post decent enough

Crown&Coke
05-01-2012, 12:17 PM
I don't know why no one else understands how awesome melo and bargnani would be together ... you get two dynamic scorers who fit perfectly together and open the court up for each other

I think the pistons deal is more realistic though and would also help the knicks to some extent

Bargs would be an ideal fit, because no only does he compliment Melo with his ability to shoot, Tyson can compliment Bargs with his rebounding.

But the Pistons are an ugly move. Charlie V is useless, and BG seems to have lost whatever magic he once had

Whoah10115
05-01-2012, 02:37 PM

No.

100% that the Cavs do that, IF Amare isn't fighting it. They still have a full payroll left, lol. And they have a scoring option outside of Kyrie. A guy who would be the leading scorer and would work the pick n' roll with Kyrie, to the max.

Thompson plays defense, hustles, rebounds, and also doesn't clog the lane. No reason why they wouldn't do that.

Zackmorris
05-01-2012, 02:48 PM

I was thinking about that most of the season but it just seems more evident as time passes Melo, Amare, and Chandler don't fit. 2 out of the 3 works great. All 3 together is a hit or miss. Mostly a miss.

I do still want to see them with a full season together with training camp and prove me wrong.

R.I.P.
05-01-2012, 02:49 PM
Oh he

niko
05-01-2012, 02:58 PM

Great, the Barganani lover has an alternate account.

So we are going to replace Amare with the only person possibly who is a worse rebounded and defender? That's jsut awesome.

AMISTILLILL
05-01-2012, 04:05 PM
I didn't read the whole thread, so I'm not sure if this has been addressed yet, but...

Why are people insisting on New York getting equal value back for Amar'e, in the form of an impact player/star? If their top heavy team failure has taught them anything, it's that they should move Amar'e to take back pieces that improve depth/provide role players for when Melo's shot isn't falling (like in game 1). Relatively high IQ players, too... not volume shooters like JR Smith.

If the Cavaliers miss out on the Anthony Davis sweepstakes, they could still be looking for another high powered big to throw alongside Irving. It's possible they'd listen if New York called them up to discuss Amar'e. Thompson's development could benefit from having a vet like Amar'e in the fold as well.

Cleveland can exercise Daniel Gibson's team option over the summer and package him with Anderson Varejao and Sasha Kaun's draft rights for Amar'e and the Knicks 2016 first round pick from Denver. The numbers work. Some Cavs fans might write off the idea of trading Andy V. Nevertheless, Varejao missed almost 3 months of a lockout shortened season with an injury. If he misses the Olympics for Brazil, I wouldn't be shocked to see Cleveland loosen their grip and entertain moving him.

Cleveland sends/New York receives:
Anderson Varejao
Daniel Gibson
Draft rights to Sasha Kaun

Cleveland receives/New York sends:
Amar'e Stoudemire
Knicks 2016 First Round Pick from Denver (Nuggets have option to swap)

While it's highly unlikely, this is probably more realistic than some of the ideas thrown around right now. Amar'e would look like a hero coming into Cleveland, spurned by a "big market" team like the kind they perceive LeBron abandoned them for.

New York could try and rope Steve Nash into signing over the summer, although odds are he stays in Phoenix. Throw a mid-level contract at a veteran like Antawn Jamison, who has already stated he's not returning to Cleveland next season. Try whatever combination of Melo and Verejao/Jamison works best and go from there. Whatever they choose to do, they should do something because the Amar'e/Melo marriage is not paying dividends.

rawimpact
05-01-2012, 04:28 PM
Maybe the warriors, i can see him running fine alongside curry. Maybe get David Lee back in NY? How do you guys think he will fare alongside Carmelo?

el gringos
05-01-2012, 05:45 PM
Bargs would be an ideal fit, because no only does he compliment Melo with his ability to shoot, Tyson can compliment Bargs with his rebounding.

But the Pistons are an ugly move. Charlie V is useless, and BG seems to have lost whatever magic he once had
That's why austin daye involved would be the key to it being a good trade. But even cv and bg- change of scenery would do wonders, both ar shooters and both would be in a great spot not being asked to be primary options. Daye will grow into a stretch 4 in the coming years

People just need to understand why Carmelo/amare/chandler isn't a good fit- Carmelo is unique to the 3 spot (for 1 thing so many on ish take positions too seiously- position means who you defend, not what you should do on offense)what makes Carmelo unique and different to build around is that you want him doing the things that you traditionaly see c's or pf's doing on offense. He is not a sf you play like a gaurd like a lebron

Any trade for amare has to be for a player who can cover 4's but can play the role you traditionally think a 3 or a 2 can- those players are hard to find, rasheeds done, and there's not many more- to say bargnani wouldn't be a great fit shows you don't understand the team aspect of basketball. To say you just want a defensive/rebounding type is shows you don't understand the importance of floor spacing or understand why another non option makes it too hard on Carmelo and chandler

AMISTILLILL
05-01-2012, 06:01 PM
That's why austin daye involved would be the key to it being a good trade. But even cv and bg- change of scenery would do wonders, both ar shooters and both would be in a great spot not being asked to be primary options. Daye will grow into a stretch 4 in the coming years

People just need to understand why Carmelo/amare/chandler isn't a good fit- Carmelo is unique to the 3 spot (for 1 thing so many on ish take positions too seiously- position means who you defend, not what you should do on offense)what makes Carmelo unique and different to build around is that you want him doing the things that you traditionaly see c's or pf's doing on offense. He is not a sf you play like a gaurd like a lebron

Any trade for amare has to be for a player who can cover 4's but can play the role you traditionally think a 3 or a 2 can- those players are hard to find, rasheeds done, and there's not many more- to say bargnani wouldn't be a great fit shows you don't understand the team aspect of basketball. To say you just want a defensive/rebounding type is shows you don't understand the importance of floor spacing or understand why another non option makes it too hard on Carmelo and chandler

http://ambasketball.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Antawn-Jamison.jpg

See; my earlier post. Sign Jamison outright in free agency. Not an ideal situation, given his age, but he's still an effective player who can cover multiple positions.

AKADS
05-01-2012, 06:03 PM
No.

100% that the Cavs do that, IF Amare isn't fighting it. They still have a full payroll left, lol. And they have a scoring option outside of Kyrie. A guy who would be the leading scorer and would work the pick n' roll with Kyrie, to the max.

Thompson plays defense, hustles, rebounds, and also doesn't clog the lane. No reason why they wouldn't do that.
I don't see the Cavs bringing on a bad influence into a young team. Also 65 million uninsured for a player with his history. You only bring that on if you think it will get you a championship. The Cavs have 4 of the top 34 picks in the draft. I think they are just goin to build a solid foundation around Kyre and Tristan.

If the cavs do move AV i think they will look for young assets.

StateOfMind12
05-01-2012, 06:06 PM
See; my earlier post. Sign Jamison outright in free agency. Not an ideal situation, given his age, but he's still an effective player who can cover multiple positions.
:roll: Jamison can't even cover a door. Jamison is probably the only PF I can think of that is more soft and probably worse defensively than Amare is. He would probably be a better fit for the Knicks offense but just as bad of a fit on defense and on the boards.

The Ownage
05-01-2012, 06:06 PM
Cleveland sends/New York receives:
Anderson Varejao
Daniel Gibson
Draft rights to Sasha Kaun

Cleveland receives/New York sends:
Amar'e Stoudemire
Knicks 2016 First Round Pick from Denver (Nuggets have option to swap)

I'd be hesitant about throwing the pick since we haven't own many in the past few years but I'd be delighted with that trade. You're completely correct that we won't get equal trade value back. There is no such thing as "equal trade value" with Amare since his value varies depending on the people.

I like it.

nightprowler10
05-01-2012, 06:07 PM
If NY gets a real PG or Lin steps it up and starts playing well again next season, everybody's tone will change. Guys like Amar'e NEED a good PG to be effective.

chips93
05-01-2012, 06:11 PM
Explain to me again why the cavaliers, a young rebuilding team, need a 30 year old with an albatross of a contract, and bad kness, who could be a bad influence?

the cavs arent gonna win a title any time soon, they have no need for a player as old as amare.

we want youth, and apart from maybe some mentor types, nothing else.

and considering the knicks spacing issues, why do they want varejao?

:biggums:

dude is a non-threat outside 8 feet

AMISTILLILL
05-01-2012, 06:16 PM
2012-2013 New York Knicks
PG: Jeremy Lin/Toney Douglas/Iman Shumpert
SG: Iman Shumpert/Daniel Gibson/JR Smith (Player Option)
SF: Carmelo Anthony/Antawn Jamison/Renaldo Balkman
PF: Anderson Varejao/Antawn Jamison
C: Tyson Chandler/Anderson Verejao/Jerome Jordan

That's honestly not a terrible lineup. Anderson is a great defensive player to throw alongside the already stellar lockdown defense of Chandler and Shump. I'd still be uneasy about how Lin and Melo work together on the floor, so it's a wait-and-see situation there. Nevertheless, you lose the awkward working relationship between STAT and Melo and gain defense in Andy V and offense in Jamison and Boobie. The offense can now be filtered 100% through Anthony.

Cavaliers cap situation is wide open. They can fill out their roster nicely. I'm sure free agents would be a lot more willing to come on board with a young buck like Kyrie running the show alongside a star like Amar'e. Cavaliers become playoff bound two years after The Decision.

AMISTILLILL
05-01-2012, 06:19 PM
:roll: Jamison can't even cover a door. Jamison is probably the only PF I can think of that is more soft and probably worse defensively than Amare is. He would probably be a better fit for the Knicks offense but just as bad of a fit on defense and on the boards.

Hence trading for Varejao, and hence throwing in the line 'try any combination of Melo with Andy V/Jamison that works'. Jamison is still a great, highly underrated player at 35, averaging 17/2/6 on a bad team this season. New York needs reliable scoring, not hot shooting nights from JR Smith and Novak.

Jamison = offense
Varejao = defense

knickswin
05-01-2012, 06:23 PM
varajeo and tyson together doesn't work ... it messes up the spacing with melo ... unless the knicks want to pay him all that money to be a back up ...

JMT
05-01-2012, 06:26 PM
Explain to me again why the cavaliers, a young rebuilding team, need a 30 year old with an albatross of a contract, and bad kness, who could be a bad influence?

the cavs arent gonna win a title any time soon, they have no need for a player as old as amare.

But aren't you excited at the opportunity to trade Amare AND a first rounder for the likes of Varrejao, Boobie Gibson and the draft rights to Sasha Baron Cohen??? Or is it Chaka Kahn??? :facepalm

This place gets dumber by the day.

AMISTILLILL
05-01-2012, 06:31 PM
varajeo and tyson together doesn't work ... it messes up the spacing with melo ... unless the knicks want to pay him all that money to be a back up ...

Varejao isn't trying to get his shot like Amar'e though... he's never been a scorer. He'll rebound and defend but he's not trying to camp in the paint for the dunk or take touches away from Melo. I think it would be a lot more effective than what's going on right now in New York. His hustle alone would make him invaluable to that New York front court. Dude dives after every possible loose ball.

Not to mention you'd be paying Andy V a little over $17 million over the next two seasons, compared to STAT's guaranteed $60+ million over the next three seasons. The Knicks could afford to pay Varejao to be a backup if he didn't work as a starter.

The Knicks need to form that same type of rough-and-tumble, working class playing style that teams like the Grizzlies and Celtics get lauded for. Reach back to the days of Ewing, Starks and Oakley.

chips93
05-01-2012, 06:36 PM
But aren't you excited at the opportunity to trade Amare AND a first rounder for the likes of Varrejao, Boobie Gibson and the draft rights to Sasha Baron Cohen??? Or is it Chaka Kahn??? :facepalm

what value is amare to the cavs?

we dont need to win games next year, we need more young talent

all acquiring a player like amare will do is lower our draft spot, and by the time it comes for actual contention, he will be too old to contribute, and we will still have to pay his terrible contract

this is no different to okc, after they drafted westbrook.

they still needed more youth, they didnt look to a short term solution, they sucked for another year, got harden, and had enough talent to move forward.

you cant rush the rebuilding process, okc didnt and it worked great, why should the cavs?

unless we are getting financial flexibility or youth, why would we consider? for a mid-first rounder? 60 million dollars? no thanks

AMISTILLILL
05-01-2012, 06:41 PM

We'd love to hear your astounding basketball insight, Dr. Naismith. Please indulge us.

In case you've been living in a hole for the past 20 or 30 years, the New York front office doesn't exactly have the kind of sound management reputation that's blowing peoples hair back. If any front office would trade a first round pick/borderline superstar for pieces from previous contending squads (to put alongside their other superstar), it's New York.

Explain to me how Cleveland somehow loses in this trade... a team with zero expectations to do anything for several more seasons winding up with more first round picks and a guy who's averaged less than 20 PPG/8 RPG only three times in his entire career.

AMISTILLILL
05-01-2012, 06:45 PM
what value is amare to the cavs?

we dont need to win games next year, we need more young talent

all acquiring a player like amare will do is lower our draft spot, and by the time it comes for actual contention, he will be too old to contribute, and we will still have to pay his terrible contract

this is no different to okc, after they drafted westbrook.

they still needed more youth, they didnt look to a short term solution, they sucked for another year, got harden, and had enough talent to move forward.

you cant rush the rebuilding process, okc didnt and it worked great, why should the cavs?

unless we are getting financial flexibility or youth, why would we consider? for a mid-first rounder? 60 million dollars? no thanks

Why would Cleveland fans be married to the idea of building like Oklahoma City? Sure, you could rebuild like them and it all pans out... or you could rebuild like them and wind up like the Sacramento Kings. It doesn't always work.

You've got a young, talented PG and you trade for a star and a name like Amar'e Stoudemire. Suddenly, free agents are a lot more willing to climb on board with Cleveland in the post-LeBron era. It's not a stretch to think Amar'e being involved could entice players who wouldn't otherwise join up with a ramshackle group of first, second and third year players.

chips93
05-01-2012, 06:53 PM
Why would Cleveland fans be married to the idea of building like Oklahoma City? Sure, you could rebuild like them and it all pans out... or you could rebuild like them and wind up like the Sacramento Kings. It doesn't always work.

of course this is true, but i think irving is a better talent than any player on the kings, and is a great young prospect, around him we should be able to build a very good team

id be open to breaking up the building process in some cases, for a really nice player. but amar'e just isnt that guy anymore. he scored what? 17 a games this year? with bad defense and average rebounding. and hes only gonna get worse. there is little evidence that he would be the kind of vet presence that could be helpful to a young team, i just dont see what there is to be excited about, at this stage in his career, with amar'e

You've got a young, talented PG and you trade for a star and a name like Amar'e Stoudemire. Suddenly, free agents are a lot more willing to climb on board with Cleveland in the post-LeBron era. It's not a stretch to think Amar'e being involved could entice players who wouldn't otherwise join up with a ramshackle group of first, second and third year players.

again, if we are trading for amar'e from like 2 or 3 years ago, yeah its a good trade for cleveland, but amar'e just isnt that guy anymore

AMISTILLILL
05-01-2012, 07:03 PM
of course this is true, but i think irving is a better talent than any player on the kings, and is a great young prospect, around him we should be able to build a very good team

id be open to breaking up the building process in some cases, for a really nice player. but amar'e just isnt that guy anymore. he scored what? 17 a games this year? with bad defense and average rebounding. and hes only gonna get worse. there is little evidence that he would be the kind of vet presence that could be helpful to a young team, i just dont see what there is to be excited about, at this stage in his career, with amar'e

again, if we are trading for amar'e from like 2 or 3 years ago, yeah its a good trade for cleveland, but amar'e just isnt that guy anymore

I'm not even a New York fan, but even I know the dude has had some serious shit come down the pipe this season. With that in mind, his numbers this year aren't even that terrible. Lockout shortened season, missed several games with injuries, personal issues off the court... the guy could absolutely bounce back next season.

This year isn't really something to draw a conclusion from. Remember what people were saying about KG during that 2009-2010 season?

chips93
05-01-2012, 07:08 PM
maybe you're right, maybe this is just a blip, and he'll bounce back.

but i wouldnt bet $60 million on it

JMT
05-01-2012, 07:13 PM
In case you've been living in a hole for the past 20 or 30 years, the New York front office doesn't exactly have the kind of sound management reputation that's blowing peoples hair back. If any front office would trade a first round pick/borderline superstar for pieces from previous contending squads (to put alongside their other superstar), it's New York.

Explain to me how Cleveland somehow loses in this trade... a team with zero expectations to do anything for several more seasons winding up with more first round picks and a guy who's averaged less than 20 PPG/8 RPG only three times in his entire career.

So the only justification you've got for this being a deal that's actually grounded in reality is the ineptitude of the NY front office?

At least they got an overpaid, non-defending player for nothing but cash. They had nothing to lose, as their ship was sinking fast.

But if you, as a Cavs fan, think Cleveland somehow wins by adding this uninsured albatross of a contract? More power to you. Enjoy that 20/8, all the while scratching your head wondering why the team just doesn't win.

AMISTILLILL
05-01-2012, 07:24 PM
So the only justification you've got for this being a deal that's actually grounded in reality is the ineptitude of the NY front office?

At least they got an overpaid, non-defending player for nothing but cash. They had nothing to lose, as their ship was sinking fast.

But if you, as a Cavs fan, think Cleveland somehow wins by adding this uninsured albatross of a contract? More power to you. Enjoy that 20/8, all the while scratching your head wondering why the team just doesn't win.

I'm not a New York fan or a Cavs fan. I do, however, know that young teams who think they can copy the Thunder rebuild formula to future success aren't guaranteed anything.

At least by taking a risk and snagging a big name they increase their odds of enticing other free agents to sign. At this point, NO free agent is signing there. If you're Cleveland? High possibility of it working out with a 20/8 guy playing alongside your young core. Doesn't work out? Pay him $40 million over two years and find a suitor for his expirer in the final year of his contract. You were rebuilding for those two seasons anyway and had little, if any, expected of you to begin with.

But, sure, Cleveland can keep tanking and thinking they'll draft the next James Harden or Russell Westbrook or something. That definitely makes more sense.

JMT
05-01-2012, 07:34 PM
I'm not a New York fan or a Cavs fan. I do, however, know that young teams who think they can copy the Thunder rebuild formula to future success aren't guaranteed anything.

At least by taking a risk and snagging a big name they increase their odds of enticing other free agents to sign. At this point, NO free agent is signing there. If you're Cleveland? High possibility of it working out with a 20/8 guy playing alongside your young core. Doesn't work out? Pay him $40 million over two years and find a suitor for his expirer in the final year of his contract. You were rebuilding for those two seasons anyway and had little, if any, expected of you to begin with.

But, sure, Cleveland can keep tanking and thinking they'll draft the next James Harden or Russell Westbrook or something. That definitely makes more sense.

At this point, I don't see anything about Amare that's going to entice others to come play with him.

There are two ways to rebuild in the NBA: draft and free agency. You scoff at the Cavs chances to do it through the draft, and advocate bringing in Amare the free agent.

That's what NY did: bring him in to rescue their franchise. How's that worked out?

AMISTILLILL
05-01-2012, 07:40 PM
At this point, I don't see anything about Amare that's going to entice others to come play with him.

There are two ways to rebuild in the NBA: draft and free agency. You scoff at the Cavs chances to do it through the draft, and advocate bringing in Amare the free agent.

That's what NY did: bring him in to rescue their franchise. How's that worked out?

Are you purposely being stubborn? In half a season with New York, you're claiming Amar'e didn't rejuvenate that Knicks team and make them somewhat relevant again? Throwing Melo into the mix completely obliterated the momentum they had built, hence the cries from New York fans asking for one of the two to get traded (primarily Amar'e).

Cleveland would trade for Amar'e. He isn't a free agent. Again, I'm not sure why you seem to ignore Irving/Amar'e as a decent one-two punch that other free agents wouldn't acknowledge as worth teaming up with. Nobody was going to Cleveland before LeBron came. Similar situation, albeit LeBron and Amar'e aren't comparable stars.

JMT
05-01-2012, 07:45 PM
Cleveland would trade for Amar'e. He isn't a free agent. Again, I'm not sure why you seem to ignore Irving/Amar'e as a decent one-two punch that other free agents wouldn't acknowledge as worth teaming up with. Nobody was going to Cleveland before LeBron came. Similar situation, albeit LeBron and Amar'e aren't comparable stars.

What quality free agents went to Cleveland to play with LeBron?

highwhey
05-01-2012, 08:00 PM

:applause:

Outing people talking out of their butt.

Amar'e has recovered from career-ending injuries and he's always made the effort to come back. Is he overpaid? Sure, but his work ethic is underrated. If he was fat and causing locker room problems (punching incident was recent and tbh, long overdo after his personal life issues as of recent) then you would have a case for not being a hard worker.

Before his first knee surgery, I remember reading articles on how he had to be pulled out of the gym because that's where he would spent all of his time: training. He's not a terrible player, still above average, it jsut happens that he is compensated a lot and so people call him garbage in proportion to his salary. He is still a great nba player, regardless of his performance in proportion to his height and salary.

People also seem to have short term memory, including myself, but I was watching ESPN and they displayed his MVP-LIKE stats before Melo arrived. Amar'e was straight up BEASTING. He's never been a 1st option type player, but he's damn well a 2nd option capable player because he can flat out score. Punching a fire extinguisher after the death of his brother, the removal of his desired position as "the man" on his team and battling injuries, is ONE HELL OF A CALM RESPONSE. It would be vastly different if he went into the locker room and talked crap about Melo or other teammates or if he didn't put any effort, i.e. Lamar Odom in Dallas.

Whoah10115
05-01-2012, 08:03 PM
:biggums:

dude is a non-threat outside 8 feet

Yea, but he can play between 4 and 5, like Amare can, and he's active and doesn't demand the ball in the paint.

I don't see the Cavs bringing on a bad influence into a young team. Also 65 million uninsured for a player with his history. You only bring that on if you think it will get you a championship. The Cavs have 4 of the top 34 picks in the draft. I think they are just goin to build a solid foundation around Kyre and Tristan.

If the cavs do move AV i think they will look for young assets.

The Knicks have 0 need for Varejao. Harrellson is very good as a backup, we have Tyson. We don't need the combination of Varejao and Chandler on offense. I understand that gives Carmelo free reign, but that could only make sense if we got Deron Williams...he's literally the single best option for that lineup. But as Brazilian as I am, I don't want Varejao...he was great this year, but he doesn't make any sense for us.

Amare is not known to be a bad influence. So I think that's being blown out of proportion. Just like the uninsured contract. Who cares? Let Dan Gilbert pay. Why would it bother anyone? And why do people think it's a real issue?

Amare showed last year that he's a great player. He's been great, but I didn't think he could lead a team. He did. We weren't great, but we were good and we were a team getting over a bad start and getting better.

Amare has 3 years left and he can at least give you 23 and 8. He ain't that bad.

Scoooter
05-01-2012, 08:03 PM
Amar'e could still average 25 ppg in this league. He just needs to get the ball. He's taking fewer shots per game than JR Smith.

highwhey
05-01-2012, 08:05 PM
What quality free agents went to Cleveland to play with LeBron?
put your dog down and answer the mans first question. You just ignored the fact that Amar'e was doing a helluva alot better before Carmelo came around. He was even in talks of MVP candidacy(not that he would win it, but point is his production was stellar).

Whoah10115
05-01-2012, 08:09 PM
BTW, the Cavs don't need a bad season. The Cavs need to be pushing for the playoffs next year. No reason for them to stink it up. I understand trading Varejao and keeping young and seeing what happens. But if Amare was actually available...he's worth it.

JMT
05-01-2012, 08:14 PM
put your dog down and answer the mans first question. You just ignored the fact that Amar'e was doing a helluva alot better before Carmelo came around. He was even in talks of MVP candidacy(not that he would win it, but point is his production was stellar).

Amare was doing exactly what Amare has been capable of doing. When he's the focal point in a system that allows him to run P&R on a floor uncluttered by any other low post players, he can post stats and lead a team right to the worst place in the NBA: not good enough to win anything, not bad enough to get a Top 5 pick.

People in NY shouted "MVP" at Jeremy Lin. Forgive me if I'm not overly impressed.

Now you can go back to minding your own business... or maybe you want to answer the question of what free agents were drawn to beautiful Cleveland while LeBron was there (just citing the example used by the person I was actually talking to).

G-train
05-01-2012, 08:15 PM

He was already starting to break down prior to Melo coming with neck/back issues.

Scoooter
05-01-2012, 08:18 PM
He was already starting to break down prior to Melo coming with neck/back issues.
Those happened after Melo got to NY.

chips93
05-01-2012, 08:19 PM
BTW, the Cavs don't need a bad season. The Cavs need to be pushing for the playoffs next year. No reason for them to stink it up. I understand trading Varejao and keeping young and seeing what happens. But if Amare was actually available...he's worth it.

i guess it depends on how optimistic/pessimistic you are

i could look at it optimisticaly and say, we have irving, a future superstar, thompson a future all-star, and who ever we draft turns into an all-star. if i were this optimistic, then yeah, we should be gunning for the playoffs, and looking to improve drastically, since we wouldnt need anymore young talent

or i could be pessimistic, and think irving will be a 20ppg chucker, and thompson, and our pick will be busts. in which case we desperately need more talent

its very hard to say right now, what pieces that we have moving forward, and thus, if we need to tank, or start looking at the playoffs

G-train
05-01-2012, 08:22 PM
Those happened after Melo got to NY.

False - he was dealing with severe soreness in back, neck and knees at various times throughout early 2011 prior to Melo trade. He rarely practiced in Jan/Feb.

Scoooter
05-01-2012, 08:24 PM
False - he was dealing with severe soreness in back, neck and knees at various times throughout early 2011 prior to Melo trade. He rarely practiced in Jan/Feb.
I don't remember any of that. I remember him hurting his back in the 2011 playoffs, which obviously would have been after the trade deadline.

I certainly don't remember anything affecting his play early in the season. :confusedshrug:

G-train
05-01-2012, 08:28 PM
I don't remember any of that. I remember him hurting his back in the 2011 playoffs, which obviously would have been after the trade deadline.

I certainly don't remember anything affecting his play early in the season. :confusedshrug:

He didnt practice and played through the soreness and if my memory serves me correctly a toe injury as well, which led to his breakdown come the playoffs (in my opinion).

People forget the Suns medical staff, who can fix anyone, advised Steve Kerr not to re-sign Amare for a max type deal. He has a fragile body,that as we all know, can't be insured. Even this season, he basically plays injured most nights, most not disclosed. He is untradeable.
The only team that would risk it IMO is Dallas.