PDA

View Full Version : Ron Artest suspension is seven games for elbow attack on Harden

chazzy
04-24-2012, 07:46 PM
The Lakers’ Metta World Peace has been suspended for seven games without pay for striking the Thunder’s James Harden in the head with his elbow, the NBA announced today.

Read more: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=9785

Real Men Wear Green
04-24-2012, 07:48 PM
Basically a playoff series. That's fair, and if LA can get past the first round he's almost like a boost to team morale.

CHi1PriDe
Not bad, thought it would be more...

maybeshewill13
Hope that's not true. Not enough.. anyone but Metta should have gotten 7 games. Considering his record he should be gone for the playoffs. God I really hope this psycho doesn't kill someone before the league kicks him out.

Told all you delusional Laker fans it wasn't getting 2-3 though :oldlol:

bagelred
Upon hearing the news, MWP elbowed David Stern in the head.

TheMan
Should've been for the rest of the season plus playoffs:facepalm

BlackWhiteGreen
About right.

bagelred
Hope that's not true. Too much

Fixed.

LeFraud James
04-24-2012, 07:49 PM
Could have been worse.

Hopefully he's able to provide us some good defense and ill advised 3's when he returns in the second round.

Droid101
I liked 5 (to match Bynum's) but 7 isn't excessive.

If the Lakers go up 3-0 on Denver, watch them rest their starters a game or two to tank and get Metta back for round two.

Derka
Basically he's missing the first round. That's fair.

noob cake
Got off light.

A good playoff ban + 10 games next year would have been more suitable.

Real Men Wear Green
04-24-2012, 07:50 PM
Hope that's not true. Not enough..
I'd say it is. It's not like that's the worst thing we've ever seen on a bball court. A punch is 3 games (or something) so it shouldn't cost him his career or anything.

Ralph100
Upon hearing the news, MWP elbowed David Stern in the head.
:roll: :roll: :cheers:

bigt
I think that's about right all things considering. The act could have been a suspension for the rest of the year, but the decision probably would have been very controversial and caused an uproar amongst Laker supporters. 7 games still sends a message, specifically at this time of the season

d21221hk
04-24-2012, 07:51 PM
Anywhere between 7-10 would have been fair imo.

O_City_Thunder
04-24-2012, 07:51 PM
For basketball reasons...

rodman91
04-24-2012, 07:53 PM
Hope that's not true. Not enough..

What were you expecting? Stoned to death?

ILLsmak
I don't think it's enough. I think he should have been suspended for x amount of games and a series if they play OKC. You know shit is gonna go down if he's suited up vs OKC.

-Smak

KOBEtherealKing
That's bullsh!t ... Bitch as stern :facepalm

maybeshewill13
What were you expecting? Stoned to death?

I think that would have been adequate.

inclinerator
04-24-2012, 07:54 PM
http://i.imgur.com/U0eZI.gif

shulda been 3 games

maybeshewill13
04-24-2012, 07:54 PM
That's bullsh!t ... Bitch as stern :facepalm

Totally agree, no where near enough :cheers:

Fudge
04-24-2012, 07:55 PM
Should've been AT LEAST 10. :confusedshrug:

mans1ay3r
I would have gave him more, but 7 sure. I remember hearing some commentators predicting 1 or 2 games and I was like :wtf:

Legends66NBA7
Stupid.

It wasn't worth that much, IMO. It is what it is, though.

bagelred
:roll: :roll: :cheers:

Really? See, ya never know what jokes will work. :cheers:

fos
04-24-2012, 07:56 PM
He got off light. Maybe it's by design? He sucks so bad they're probably worse off with him playing.

tmacattack33
04-24-2012, 07:56 PM
It's basically 6 games, since the Sacramento game is meaningless.

A little too low, but whatever. When he comes back he won't be the same player because mentally he'll be freaking out.

Fudge
04-24-2012, 07:57 PM
So only 6 playoff games pretty much? :wtf:

Stern you dumb bum.

Crown&Coke
seven is a lot of games.

considering its 6 playoff games, thats a lot of time to miss. could be as much as 2 weeks to be inactive. Hopefully Ron don't get fat

Legends66NBA7
I remember hearing some commentators predicting 1 or 2 games

:confusedshrug:

Suckafree
04-24-2012, 07:58 PM
I said he'd get 10. But around 7 I guess seems fair

DMV2
04-24-2012, 07:58 PM
That's a fair amount.

ILLsmak
04-24-2012, 08:00 PM
Maybe they're gonna call shit super tight vs LA and get them knocked out early.

-Smak

monkeypox
04-24-2012, 08:00 PM
seems about right. People are making way more out of this because of how it ended. The Bynum thing was way more vicious and pre-meditated. There have been worse fouls this season. Artest in the moment flung his elbow without looking. It's not like he went over and elbowed Harden in the head for no reason. People make it out like Artest is some ninja, that he felt Hardens arm and calculated where his head was going to be and elbowed him in the back of the ear. That's not what happened. Why would he do that? He just dunked the ball and was doing gorilla thumps on his chest, and Harden runs up on him. Artest in the moment swings his elbow for whatever reason, to clear Harden off of him, to hit Harden, whatever, and it happened to hit the guy right behind the ear. It was super stupid and dangerous, but it's not even the worst flagrant foul this year. Maybe the worst result, but not the worst foul.

AMISTILLILL
04-24-2012, 08:02 PM
You have to consider the pressure Stern and others live under with this sort of thing. You want to set an example, but you don't want to imply that you're imparting a harsh punishment on a player based primarily on his reputation.

With that in mind, 7 games seems pretty fair. The Lakers, even after the media fracas of the Heat, are still one of the bigger draws in the league. An early exit stemming from the loss of a starter, due to league enacted suspensions, could hurt ratings in a lockout shortened season already plagued with canceled games and lost revenue.

With Barnes' improved play in Kobe's absence, he should be more than capable of playing at the elevated level necessary for the post-season. Lakers should be able to make it through the first round without Artest and without much trouble.

chazzy
04-24-2012, 08:04 PM
With Barnes' improved play in Kobe's absence, he should be more than capable of playing at the elevated level necessary for the post-season. Lakers should be able to make it through the first round without Artest without much trouble.
Actually, Barnes has a sprained ankle and it's supposedly really sore.. and Ebanks dropped a dumbbell on his hand today. We may be seeing some Eyenga action in the 1st round :oldlol:

maybeshewill13
04-24-2012, 08:06 PM
Actually, Barnes has a sprained ankle and it's supposedly really sore.. and Ebanks dropped a dumbbell on his hand today. We may be seeing some Eyenga action in the 1st round :oldlol:

:roll: :roll: :roll:

jb220
04-24-2012, 08:08 PM
Beautiful:applause:

As I said earlier make sure that the first round series goes 6 games, toy around with the Nuggets and make sure MWP is back for OKC. Let's hear those piece of shit hicks cry.

G-Funk
04-24-2012, 08:08 PM
Hope that's not true. Not enough.. anyone but Metta should have gotten 7 games. Considering his record he should be gone for the playoffs. God I really hope this psycho doesn't kill someone before the league kicks him out.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i16/Qu3en06/ArtestHardenLG.gif

:oldlol: :banana:

t-rex
04-24-2012, 08:09 PM
Not bad, thought it would be more...

Agreed.

AMISTILLILL
04-24-2012, 08:12 PM

I heard about that but saw him on the box score for that last game (was out of town during the game). Figured he was back and not feeling the effects of the injury.

Either way, Lakers have been compensating for one weak starter for a very long time. They'll have to carry the load for the SF position now, as opposed to the PG position they've previously been compensating for with Derek Fisher.

(e)
04-24-2012, 08:12 PM
I think it's a little more than he deserved, honestly. I thought Bynum's elbow to JJ had more intent to injure than Metta's did.

I thought it should of been 5 games max, especially since they're Playoff games which obviously hold a lot more value to the team than a regular season game. Missing 6 Playoff games is a pretty 'stern' suspension.

kurt_rambis
04-24-2012, 08:13 PM
how much do you think MWP insisting it was an accident played into it? did stern take him at his word? if he said it was on purpose out of anger or frustration or whatever would he get a longer suspension?

derb2k2
04-24-2012, 08:14 PM
not enough but just good enough to not anger most. Is there a fine??? there definitely should be.

nba_55
04-24-2012, 08:14 PM
Stern making sure he s there vs OKC.
More drama, tension, ratings , MONEY

noob cake
04-24-2012, 08:15 PM
Stern making sure he s there vs OKC.
More drama, tension, ratings , MONEY

Best your ass that Stern will make the series last until 7 so Artest returns becomes the headline for game 7.

Bourne
04-24-2012, 08:16 PM
LOOOOOOOL take that haters and harden you faker. when artest faces harden in the playoffs he will piss his socks

Crown&Coke
04-24-2012, 08:19 PM
how much do you think MWP insisting it was an accident played into it? did stern take him at his word? if he said it was on purpose out of anger or frustration or whatever would he get a longer suspension?

pretty sure anyone who saw it (Stern included), knows that Metta wasn't just celebrating and happened to knock the shit out of James Harden who had been talking shit all game. Metta knew who it was, and he knew he was going to throw a bow at him. I don't think he knew he would rattle his brain with it though, but what did he think was going to happen? Harden fart a rainbow?

rodman91
04-24-2012, 08:20 PM
Artest : 73 games (For beating fans, 86 games with playoffs)
Sprewell: 68 games ( Choking his own coach)
Arenas : 50 games (Guns in locker room)
Crittenton: 38 games (Guns in locker room)
S.Jackson : 30 games (Beating fans)
K.Washington: 26 games (Punching Tomjanovic,seriously injuring him)
J.O'neal: 15 games (Beating fans)
Melo : 11 games (Fighting)
Rodman : 11 games (Kicking cameraman)
Maxwell: 10 games (Punch a fan)
J.R.Smith : 10 games (Fighting)
N.Robinson:10 games (Fighting)
L.Hunter : 10 games (banned substance)
L.Hughes: 10 game (drug)
R.Lewis: 10 game (drug)
Webber : 8 games (5 for drug,3 for lying)
Ron Artest: 7 games (domestic violance)
Ron Artest/MWP : 7 games (Elbowing Harden)

Ron Artest is a legend. :lol

Crown&Coke
04-24-2012, 08:22 PM
Artest : 73 games (For beating fans, 86 games with playoffs)
Sprewell: 68 games ( Choking his own coach)
Arenas : 50 games (Guns in locker room)
Crittenton: 38 games (Guns in locker room)
S.Jackson : 30 games (Beating fans)
K.Washington: 26 games (Punching Tomjanovic,seriously injuring him)
J.O'neal: 15 games (Beating fans)
Melo : 11 games (Fighting)
Rodman : 11 games (Kicking cameraman)
Maxwell: 10 games (Punch a fan)
J.R.Smith : 10 games (Fighting)
N.Robinson:10 games (Fighting)
L.Hunter : 10 games (banned substance)
L.Hughes: 10 game (drug)
R.Lewis: 10 game (drug)
Webber : 8 games (5 for drug,3 for lying)
Ron Artest: 7 games (domestic violance)
Ron Artest/MWP : 7 games (Elbowing Harden)

Ron Artest is a legend. :lol

was the Spree suspension a team suspension or an NBA suspension?

nba_55
04-24-2012, 08:23 PM
Best your ass that Stern will make the series last until 7 so Artest returns becomes the headline for game 7.

:facepalm
La wont play okc before the second round. So, artest will be there for the most of the series.

rodman91
04-24-2012, 08:24 PM
was the Spree suspension a team suspension or an NBA suspension?

NBA suspension.It was reduced from 82 to 68.

Funnyfuka
should have been 8 or 10 games, considering bynum got 5 for his murder attempt on barea.

Metta psycho artest is damn lucky.

niko
Seems fair. I think he hit Harden on purpose. but i didn't think he meant to wipe the freaking floor with him. But he did. So 7 seems fair.

bdreason
04-24-2012, 08:25 PM
If I'm an underdog team, my new strategy is to eliminate the other teams top player. Just send a bench player out there to viciously assault the other teams best player, and only miss 7 games.

ihoopallday
04-24-2012, 08:25 PM
If Lakers and OKC run into each other in the playoffs, I wonder how tightly that series will be reffed.

nba_55
04-24-2012, 08:27 PM
Let s be real. If MWP was still playing for a small market like Sac, he would have gotten a much bigger suspension. Since he s in la, he s gotten much less.

Bond007
04-24-2012, 08:29 PM
I think that's about right all things considering. The act could have been a suspension for the rest of the year, but the decision probably would have been very controversial and caused an uproar amongst Laker supporters. 7 games still sends a message, specifically at this time of the season

+1

kurt_rambis
04-24-2012, 08:30 PM
pretty sure anyone who saw it (Stern included), knows that Metta wasn't just celebrating and happened to knock the shit out of James Harden who had been talking shit all game. Metta knew who it was, and he knew he was going to throw a bow at him. I don't think he knew he would rattle his brain with it though, but what did he think was going to happen? Harden fart a rainbow?
yeah, true....but i think at the very least MWP's denials gave stern an excuse to give him just a moderate suspension

Rake2204
04-24-2012, 08:31 PM
This actually seems like a solid number. When coming to this decision, I'm thinking the NBA also considered the majority of games Artest would be suspended for would be playoff games, which are considerably more important on a game-by-game basis. I think they knew the first of the suspension would be in a meaningless game, then he'd be gone for the majority of a first round series (if it went the distance).

Bond007
04-24-2012, 08:33 PM
Let s be real. If MWP was still playing for a small market like Sac, he would have gotten a much bigger suspension. Since he s in la, he s gotten much less.

What's all the sudden concern with MWP , I thought he sucked?:eek:

mans1ay3r
04-24-2012, 08:34 PM
Its pretty funny how people thought it was unintentional. I said this before but if it was on accident, he would have turn around wondering what in the world he just hit. But some morons think he celebrated so hard he gave someone a concussion and had no clue. Not sure whether to :roll: or :facepalm

Artest didnt even need peripheral vision to see Harden. Definitely should have gotten more games + fine.

LAKERSRETHEBEST
04-24-2012, 08:35 PM
This was my worst case scenario....Metta missing Thursday's game plus the first round of the playoffs. I think their decision is fair. Hopefully, Metta will learn from this incident and make sure no players are near him when he decides to "celebrate" the next dunk.

I'm glad it's not the whole playoff series. The Lakers need MWP; he's great on defense & his offense has improved since Kobe's injury.

DuMa
04-24-2012, 08:37 PM
no fine?

#1SportsFan86

:applause:

shortsoptional
I really hope the Lakers and Thunder meet in the playoffs now.

04-24-2012, 08:39 PM
Its pretty funny how people thought it was unintentional. I said this before but if it was on accident, he would have turn around wondering what in the world he just hit. But some morons think he celebrated so hard he gave someone a concussion and had no clue. Not sure whether to :roll: or :facepalm

Artest didnt even need peripheral vision to see Harden. Definitely should have gotten more games + fine.

The commish has spoken, raise the suspension

and the fine

sbw19
04-24-2012, 08:41 PM
Should've been AT LEAST 10. :confusedshrug:

Yup, but considering how he's been rehabbing his image and conducting himself last two seasons + his apology and demeanor after the incident, I think it's a fair amount.

ihoopallday
04-24-2012, 08:44 PM
Yup, but considering how he's been rehabbing his image and conducting himself last two seasons + his apology and demeanor after the incident, I think it's a fair amount.

:facepalm The guy didn't even attempt to see if Harden was ok after he hit him. All he wanted to do was give the ref a BS excuse. The guy is an animal "on the court" . There's no rehabilitation for him. He just got a slap on the wrist and you all know it.

Extempo
04-24-2012, 08:45 PM
DISGUSTING. The league again using the Lakers to make an example to others. They fined Kobe 100000 for a slur that Noah used the next week but got half that fine. Not to mention the illegal veto of the CP3 trade. The league is so scared of the Lakers because we are in the way of their overrated, younger faces who can't win jack without referee help.

Whatever. Lakers will survive the first round without Artest. If they can't, they don't deserve to win the championship anyway. I believe in the team...they can definitely beat Dallas. The second round will decide how far this team goes.

JellyBean
04-24-2012, 08:45 PM
7 games is cool. I was thinking that the League was going to go overboard with something like 10-15 games. The Lakers can get Metta back for the 2nd Round.

DuMa
04-24-2012, 08:48 PM
can any of you honestly believe after 7 games suspension, that Artest wont do this again?

ihoopallday
04-24-2012, 08:49 PM
DISGUSTING. The league again using the Lakers to make an example to others. They fined Kobe 100000 for a slur that Noah used the next week but got half that fine. Not to mention the illegal veto of the CP3 trade. The league is so scared of the Lakers because we are in the way of their overrated, younger faces who can't win jack without referee help.

Whatever. Lakers will survive the first round without Artest. If they can't, they don't deserve to win the championship anyway. I believe in the team...they can definitely beat Dallas. The second round will decide how far this team goes.

Bro, the Lakers have the biggest fan base in the NBA. Why would Stern want them to suck? And please don't use that referee excuse. Every team with superstars get biased calls. That's nothing new.

maybeshewill13
04-24-2012, 08:49 PM

:roll:

PickernRoller
04-24-2012, 08:55 PM
7 Games for hitting this flopper? A guy who walks into people to stir up sh1t? Harden's a bonafide flopper with extremely good acting skills....I want a dam concussion now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGzSNsPafY0

Too much. How about fining floppers and suspending their sorry @ss too, more when it's in the playoffs...f@gg0ts got their @sses served by the Mavs...can't say justice wasn't served in the end.

5 games should have been the deal here. No pay + fine. 7 games? cmon...

sbw19
04-24-2012, 09:01 PM
:facepalm The guy didn't even attempt to see if Harden was ok after he hit him. All he wanted to do was give the ref a BS excuse. The guy is an animal "on the court" . There's no rehabilitation for him. He just got a slap on the wrist and you all know it.
I was talking about his demeanor about the incident after the game. If you consider a 7-game suspension without pay a slap on the wrist then fine. And if you want to believe that it's really commonplace for a player to see if someone he just elbowed was ok then that's fine too. I happen to have a different take based on reality.

TryToBeUnbias
04-24-2012, 09:01 PM
Swing was intentional not so sure about the head shot.

7 games ? depending on how fast we eliminate the 1st team we play.

ihoopallday
04-24-2012, 09:12 PM
I was talking about his demeanor about the incident after the game. If you consider a 7-game suspension without pay a slap on the wrist then fine. And if you want to believe that it's really commonplace for a player to see if someone he just elbowed was ok then that's fine too. I happen to have a different take based on reality.

You make some good points. He did seem apologetic after the game. Just wish he showed a little compassion for Harden on the court.

Killbot
04-24-2012, 09:13 PM
Fair punishment. Thought Stern would go apeshit and suspend Artest longer, but surprised that he had some restraint.

monkeypox
04-24-2012, 09:14 PM
If I'm an underdog team, my new strategy is to eliminate the other teams top player. Just send a bench player out there to viciously assault the other teams best player, and only miss 7 games.

You say that as if that wasn't an option for asshole teams before this happened.

maybeshewill13
04-24-2012, 09:16 PM
7 Games for hitting this flopper? A guy who walks into people to stir up sh1t? Harden's a bonafide flopper with extremely good acting skills....I want a dam concussion now.

Too much. How about fining floppers and suspending their sorry @ss too, more when it's in the playoffs...f@gg0ts got their @sses served by the Mavs...can't say justice wasn't served in the end.

:lebroncry:

Nevaeh
04-24-2012, 09:24 PM
LOOOOOOOL take that haters and harden you faker. when artest faces harden in the playoffs he will piss his socks

No he won't. He'll just sucker Ron into doing dumb sh!t again,and "sell" the injury, so that peeps will go "See? That darn Metta World "Peace" still hasn't learned his lesson". Artest knows that all eyes will be on him, and any little f@ck up will send his ass packing for the summer.
:oldlol:

LABean
04-24-2012, 09:30 PM
Kobe will let the series go six games.

We will need MWP when we face Dallas in the second round.

http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/thumb/2/2d/Trollface_HD.png/618px-Trollface_HD.png

Glide2keva
04-24-2012, 09:38 PM
Listening to Stephen A. Smith and he is clowning this delusional fan saying that Harden should be suspended too.

Myth
04-24-2012, 09:38 PM
7 sounds fair to me.

Ol Dirty Bastard
04-24-2012, 09:46 PM
if harden is really messed up over it, the suspension should've been the whole playoffs.

NoGunzJustSkillz
04-24-2012, 09:48 PM
Ron Artest should boycott the NBA Cares campaign.

wakencdukest
04-24-2012, 09:53 PM
I'm just wondering which Thunder player will retaliate if they meet up in the playoffs? I'm gonna say Ibaka or perkins.

maybeshewill13
04-24-2012, 09:54 PM
I'm just wondering which Thunder player will retaliate if they meet up in the playoffs? I'm gonna say Ibaka or perkins.

None of them will. Knocking the Lakers out of the playoffs is retaliation enough.

ihoopallday
04-24-2012, 10:04 PM

Won't be a starter. Teams can't afford to lose starters in the playoffs. It'll be a bench player if they do retaliate.

gilalizard
04-24-2012, 10:10 PM
That's fair.

It's obvious MWP was too caught up in the moment, and overreacted in trying to push Harden off him when Harden deliberately ran into him.

It's as dumb to claim he didn't know Harden was there as it is to claim he was trying to deliberately knock Harden out.

BallsOut
04-24-2012, 10:14 PM
What a stupid decision by the league. Lakers are heavy favorites in round 1. They may just sweep whoever they face. That's already 5 games then. You're going to take 2 games away from a possible Lakers vs. OKC playoff series without MWP? :facepalm

Guess they don't wanna draw more viewers and make money.

WeGetRing2012
04-24-2012, 10:23 PM
What a stupid decision by the league. Lakers are heavy favorites in round 1. They may just sweep whoever they face. That's already 5 games then. You're going to take 2 games away from a possible Lakers vs. OKC playoff series without MWP? :facepalm

Guess they don't wanna draw more viewers and make money.

Well the game tomorrow is 1, 5 games in the 1st round that the Lakers should stretch to 6 games.

PyrrhusX
04-24-2012, 10:27 PM
lmao expected less.

lakerspng
04-24-2012, 10:28 PM
too many. should have been 3-4 games. OKC milking Harden's status is part of the reason and they're clearly doing it simply to get a harder penalty against the Lakers, their future opponent.

Now that the judgement has been rendered, Harden will suddenly be okay to play and his status cleared up.

Lakers are going to be fighting against a crapload of rough officiating by the refs trying to maintain "control" of the games if and when they meet up with OKC in the second round. Especially the first two games in OKC. I'd expect a 35-10 FT margin in favor of OKC per game in those first two.

BallsOut
04-24-2012, 10:29 PM
too many. should have been 3-4 games. OKC milking Harden's status is part of the reason and they're clearly doing it simply to get a harder penalty against the Lakers, their future opponent.

Now that the judgement has been rendered, Harden will suddenly be okay to play and his status cleared up.

Lakers are going to be fighting against a crapload of rough officiating by the refs trying to maintain "control" of the games if and when they meet up with OKC in the second round. Especially the first two games in OKC. I'd expect a 35-10 FT margin in favor of OKC per game in those first two.

Believe me man, Harden is never going to be the same after that elbow.

SwayDizzle
04-24-2012, 10:50 PM

Wow after seeing this I definitely believe Harden was the instigator. MWP laid him flat on his face, lil b*tch trying to start shit. That's what you get when you mess with a maniac...a real hit.

Derka
04-24-2012, 10:55 PM
lol @ every single internet would-be sociopath saying Harden instigated, flopped and deserved it.

Y'all are hard, for realz.

LamarOdom
04-24-2012, 10:58 PM
I hope Lakers wins 4-2 in the first round then Metta is back for the second round.

Jotaro Durant
04-24-2012, 10:58 PM
should be for whole playoffs. oh well every1 knows league favors lakers

Hittin_Shots
04-24-2012, 11:01 PM

Could still be.

BallsOut
04-24-2012, 11:02 PM

That's why they rejected the cp3 deal :facepalm

NoGunzJustSkillz
04-24-2012, 11:04 PM
Well the game tomorrow is 1, 5 games in the 1st round that the Lakers should stretch to 6 games.
Lakers aren't stretching sh!t just so Ron can play in game 1, round 2. This is the most idiotic assumption on Ish right now.

oh the horror
04-24-2012, 11:04 PM

Yeah, totally why we landed Chris Paul...

Oh wait...

SwayDizzle
04-24-2012, 11:05 PM
lol @ every single internet would-be sociopath saying Harden instigated, flopped and deserved it.

Y'all are hard, for realz.
It's not about being hard, watch the video

Derka
04-24-2012, 11:06 PM
It's not about being hard, watch the video

I watched the game. There is zero defense for what Artest did, as all of the rational people on this board and in the media have said.

Saying that Harden flops in other games is irrelevant. He did nothing to deserve a concussion from a certified lunatic who has no place on any professional basketball court.

Noof
04-24-2012, 11:11 PM
My inner homer says it's too much, but looking at it objectively I guess it's an ok number...

BallsOut
04-24-2012, 11:12 PM
I watched the game. There is zero defense for what Artest did, as all of the rational people on this board and in the media have said.

Saying that Harden flops in other games is irrelevant. He did nothing to deserve a concussion from a certified lunatic who has no place on any professional basketball court.

Aside from the elbow, what has Metta World Peace done to make you think he's a certified lunatic?

G-Funk
04-24-2012, 11:17 PM
7 games? Well worth it.:cheers:

Derka
04-24-2012, 11:19 PM
Aside from the elbow, what has Metta World Peace done to make you think he's a certified lunatic?

Aside from charging into the Detroit stands and attacking fans? Aside from destroying a camera at MSG against the Knicks? Aside from throwing a similar elbow into Manu Ginobli's head while he was with the Kings...in the playoffs, no less? Aside from a litany of similar flagrants (some deserved, some not deserved I'll grant) and offenses?

Dude has his rep for a damned good reason.

G-Funk
04-24-2012, 11:19 PM

How many games did Wade get for giving Kobe a concussion and a broken nose?

BallsOut
04-24-2012, 11:22 PM
Aside from charging into the Detroit stands and attacking fans? Aside from destroying a camera at MSG against the Knicks? Aside from throwing a similar elbow into Manu Ginobli's head while he was with the Kings...in the playoffs, no less? Aside from a litany of similar flagrants (some deserved, some not deserved I'll grant) and offenses?

Why should Metta World Peace be punished for Ron Artest's past behavior? :lol

Derka
04-24-2012, 11:22 PM

lol, you asshole :cheers:

Hittin_Shots
04-24-2012, 11:35 PM

Changing your name to meta world peace is also quite lunatic behaviour.

shadow
04-24-2012, 11:41 PM
Raja Bell clotheslined Kobe in the playoffs and only got one game. Did Artest do something stupid...sure, did he do it with malice, that's highly debatable considering his eyes were closed and he was in the middle of a chest thumping celebration. What Bynum did to Barrea was much worse since he actually did that with intent and he only got 5 games. I call BS.

Yung D-Will
04-24-2012, 11:50 PM
Lmao Okc fans are making it seem like Metta should be hung :oldlol:

Hittin_Shots
04-24-2012, 11:51 PM

And lakers fans making it seem like he should be congratulated.

Nevaeh
04-24-2012, 11:57 PM

Not to mention lying on the scorers table delaying the game before the "Detroit brawl" actually kicked off. And then promoting his R & B singing group after the game, like nothing happened. That N!gga just got issues. :oldlol:

maybeshewill13
04-25-2012, 12:05 AM

He should be. Then let him hang from the OKC rafters as trophy :pimp:

bdreason
04-25-2012, 01:55 AM
You say that as if that wasn't an option for asshole teams before this happened.

I didn't realize you could land a Jon Jones elbow on a guys head and only get 7 games. Plenty of teams can afford to lose a bench player for one series. Just make sure you land the elbow hard enough to take the star player out for a couple games.

IamRAMBO24
04-25-2012, 02:06 AM
Some Lakers fans were saying it won't be more than 2.

K.Koscik
04-25-2012, 02:55 AM
I have a serious question for anyone willing to answer, because when I was having a discussion with someone about the suspension they asked me this:

Why are there no criminal charges associated with cheap shots in the NBA? Is there? Or any sports for that matter. I may be wrong. But if someone throws an elbow like that to some random dude in the street you know theres going to be some trouble with the law. I understand these guys are professional athletes and all but is that why? Because they are pro athletes and held to a different standard?

Or is it truly because "that just doesn't happen in sports"

Again, this is a serious question and if I sound dumb I apologize, but i've been thinking about it and can't really think of a good reason

Draz
04-25-2012, 02:56 AM
excellent question ^^

IamRAMBO24
04-25-2012, 02:59 AM
I have a serious question for anyone willing to answer, because when I was having a discussion with someone about the suspension they asked me this:

Why are there no criminal charges associated with cheap shots in the NBA? Is there? Or any sports for that matter. I may be wrong. But if someone throws an elbow like that to some random dude in the street you know theres going to be some trouble with the law. I understand these guys are professional athletes and all but is that why? Because they are pro athletes and held to a different standard?

Again, this is a serious question and if I sound dumb I apologize, but i've been thinking about it and can't really think of a good reason

Umm simple reason: sports is physical, real life is not. You can have your nuts rubbed up against another guy's behind in the post and you are ok with it, but if that happen in rl while you're taking a nice stroll down the street, I'm sure you will be pretty damn piss if some random homeless dude decided to rub all up on you.

These guys are getting paid millions to put their health on the line, so of course it is more acceptable than versus rl.

K.Koscik
04-25-2012, 03:12 AM
Umm simple reason: sports is physical, real life is not. You can have your nuts rubbed up against another guy's behind in the post and you are ok with it, but if that happen in rl while you're taking a nice stroll down the street, I'm sure you will be pretty damn piss if some random homeless dude decided to rub all up on you.

These guys are getting paid millions to put their health on the line, so of course it is more acceptable than versus rl.

That's along the lines of what I was thinking as well. But that doesn't coincide with the law dude where assault is defined the same for you, me, metta world peace, tim allen, and that guy from graceland. I guess the question should be is why are sports stars excluded from the law? lawdy i sound like a **** at this point. It's true though

:biggums:

:coleman:

edit: excluded from the law to an extent**

Eric Cartman
04-25-2012, 03:15 AM
The Lakers if given the chance should drag out the series against Denver to have MWP swinging at full speed against Harden and them boys. :applause:

IamRAMBO24
04-25-2012, 03:16 AM
That's along the lines of what I was thinking as well. But that doesn't coincide with the law dude where assault is defined the same for you, me, metta world peace, tim allen, and that guy from graceland. I guess the question should be is why are sports stars excluded from the law? lawdy i sound like a **** at this point. It's true though

:biggums:

:coleman:

edit: excluded from the law to an extent**

I'm not going to get into the technicalities of it, but the NBA (or other sports like football and mma) are exempt from bodily harm of a player and pretty much make up their own rules regarding this matter.

The players probably signed their rights away when they signed that contract.

I<3NBA
04-25-2012, 03:17 AM
where is the fine? was MWP fined? i was expecting a 30 million dollar fine.

maybeshewill13
04-25-2012, 03:20 AM
The Lakers if given the chance should drag out the series against Denver to have MWP swinging at full speed against Harden and them boys. :applause:

I agree, they should do that, then they'll lose momentum and lose in game 7 :applause:

K.Koscik
04-25-2012, 03:24 AM
I'm not going to get into the technicalities of it, but the NBA (or other sports like football and mma) are exempt from bodily harm of a player and pretty much make up their own rules regarding this matter.

The players probably signed their rights away when they signed that contract.

bingo bango i didnt even think about that. :cheers:

bluechox2
04-25-2012, 03:40 AM
be great the see he come back on a possible game 7 and cost the lakers the series :lol

monkeypox
04-25-2012, 04:32 AM

Yeah I always wonder why it is when an opposing player steals the ball, a security guard doesn't intervene and apprehend the thief. It's almost like they encourage the activity.

alenleomessi
04-25-2012, 05:01 AM
See you next season Metta!

DirtySanchez
04-25-2012, 05:01 AM
Criminal charges? What the f@ck is wrong with u people. This new generation is pussified. It's a game of emotions shit happens. He was in the wrong is getting a suspension and we all move on. But criminal charges for a flagrant foul during a basketball game gtfoh.

Jasi
04-25-2012, 05:44 AM
Somewhere in Denver, Gallo is celebrating. MWP always shuts him down. I really think the series (if it will actually be LAL-DEN) could be dangerous now for the Lakers.

dunksby
04-25-2012, 05:45 AM

http://gifsoup.com/view7/2436260/d-wade-after-losing-to-boston-o.gif

maybeshewill13
04-25-2012, 05:46 AM
http://gifsoup.com/view7/2436260/d-wade-after-losing-to-boston-o.gif

Hahahaha

Shepseskaf
04-25-2012, 06:12 AM
You have to consider the pressure Stern and others live under with this sort of thing. You want to set an example, but you don't want to imply that you're imparting a harsh punishment on a player based primarily on his reputation.
Yes, you do. If someone is a repeat offender, just like in the court system, the penalties should get increasingly more harsh.

Artest has shown, time and time again, that he simply isn't grown up enough to accept the level of responsibility for the position he occupies. I understand about all of the mental issues, but at some point, he has to take responsibility for his actions.

He's never done this, to my knowledge. There's always some bs excuse. He even thinks he should have gotten "a pass" for the brawl at the Palace. That "little incident" was by far the worst public relations nightmare in modern NBA history. His actions also blew up a very good Indiana team, and set it back years.

If I were the commissioner, I'd be looking very hard at a lifetime ban the next time Artest does something idiotic. He's very close to the end of his career anyway, and you don't want to give him the chance to go off and do something crazy that ends up costing the league in reputation and money.

brantonli
04-25-2012, 06:16 AM

Wasn't there that NFL strategy that one team did, a bonus if you manage to severely injure the other team's players?

maybeshewill13
04-25-2012, 06:17 AM
Wasn't there that NFL strategy that one team did, a bonus if you manage to severely injure the other team's players?

The NO Saints.

spiegel
04-25-2012, 06:19 AM
The irony here is he calls himeslf metta world peace.

tomtucker
04-25-2012, 06:37 AM

sure, Criminal charges can be a result of your actions in sports

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/indepth/bertuzzi/

Criminal charges filed against Bertuzzi in Vancouver resulted in a guilty plea and a sentence of one year's probation plus 80 hours of community service

Grey Dawn
04-25-2012, 10:33 AM
I'm a moron!

Fixed.

nashwade
04-25-2012, 11:36 AM
cos it was MWP

I doubt Horry or Dwight will get 7 for pulling the same stunt

Bigsmoke
04-25-2012, 11:38 AM
should have been longer.

cos it was MWP

I doubt Horry or Dwight will get 7 for pulling the same stunt

well... who doesnt hate to see has-beens/irrelevants take serious injuries to guys who are playing a very intricate roles for their teams?

Jasi
04-25-2012, 11:52 AM
Should have been 29 games, just to make sure he can't play in the post season.

Whatever, it's the Lakers after all.

kurple
04-25-2012, 12:15 PM
Come on Nuggets, just win these last two games

RazorBaLade
04-25-2012, 12:16 PM
Should have been 29 games, just to make sure he can't play in the post season.

Whatever, it's the Lakers after all.

so if you dont completely ass rape the lakers it was preferential treatment?

Droid101
04-25-2012, 12:24 PM
should have been longer.

well... who doesnt hate to see has-beens/irrelevants take serious injuries to guys who are playing a very intricate roles for their teams?
The Has-been irrelevant guy who shut down LeBron James earlier in the season?

gigantes
04-25-2012, 12:28 PM
Considering the perp, it's a slap on the wrist. Might as well hand Artest a hockey stick next time so he can do some real damage. Might as well allocate two minutes between quarters so he can smash inanimate objects- would give the crowd something to watch and might just make him a little less batshit crazy when its game on.

What a sorry-ass season this has been.

DuMa
04-25-2012, 12:33 PM
the more i think about it. it was definitely a slap on the wrist. this guy has been suspended 10+ times in the past for behavior like this. its more than a repeat offender. he is a maniac period. Stern is a fool for letting this insane psycho run loose in games. the next incident and THERE WILL BE A NEXT INCIDENT will only cause more questions on why he is still allowed to play in the NBA.

boozehound
04-25-2012, 12:41 PM
I'd say it is. It's not like that's the worst thing we've ever seen on a bball court. A punch is 3 games (or something) so it shouldn't cost him his career or anything.
I would disagree. That is way worse than a punch between two guys facing each other. That is probably the worse on court altercation I have seen (I wasnt around for the Kermit Washington punch, which was worse). Add to that his squaring up on ibaka and his weak ass apology in which his elbow apparently is not under his own control. dude should have been gone for the entire post-season.

LA_Showtime
04-25-2012, 12:53 PM
So closer to 9 if you factor in the lockout-shortened season. Not bad at all. Glad to see that Stern didn't overreact.

Droid101
04-25-2012, 01:36 PM
I would disagree. That is way worse than a punch between two guys facing each other. That is probably the worse on court altercation I have seen (I wasnt around for the Kermit Washington punch, which was worse). Add to that his squaring up on ibaka and his weak ass apology in which his elbow apparently is not under his own control. dude should have been gone for the entire post-season.

You are a joke. Ron-Ron's was a bad basketball play, but Bynum's premeditated take-down of a full-speed mid-air Barea was worse.

I see you're still butt hurt about the brawl that your own fans started.

gigantes
04-25-2012, 02:38 PM
You are a joke. Ron-Ron's was a bad basketball play, but Bynum's premeditated take-down of a full-speed mid-air Barea was worse.
What's more of a joke is when you misuse the terms "basketball play" and "premeditated" in the very same sentence.

Droid101
04-25-2012, 02:44 PM
What's more of a joke is when you misuse the terms "basketball play" and "premeditated" in the very same sentence.
You seriously want to tell me Ron's was premeditated?

Watch the video again in full speed. It was completely spur of the moment.

Watch the entire game leading up to Bynum's. You could just see he wanted to lay someone out.

RaininTwos
04-25-2012, 02:44 PM
so kidd trying to ddt Pargo four years ago is just forgotten on this site?

Batchoy
04-25-2012, 02:52 PM
Ron-Ron's was a bad basketball play, but Bynum's premeditated take-down of a full-speed mid-air Barea was worse.Ron Artests elbow to Harden was not a bad basketball play, it was a cheap shot to the back of the head of Harden, not any type of basketball play. Same thing with Bynum to Barea. Both were cheap shots, but I have to say Artest's was worse than Bynum's because Harden was hit in the head area while Barea in the chest.

boozehound
04-25-2012, 03:07 PM

I see you're still butt hurt about the brawl that your own fans started.
how is it a basketball play? The ball isnt even in play? Bynum's take down was brutal and clearly deserved a suspension of 5+ games, but at least the player he took down had the ball. Artest threw an elbow at someone's brain while they had their back to him. This shit is so far outside the realm of a basketball move that you clearly must be an idiot to defend it.

gigantes
04-25-2012, 03:08 PM
You seriously want to tell me Ron's was premeditated?

Watch the video again in full speed. It was completely spur of the moment.

Watch the entire game leading up to Bynum's. You could just see he wanted to lay someone out.
I didn't say that Ron's was premeditated. I'm saying that it wasn't a bball play. I mean yes, technically players were shuffling their feet and everything, but the amount of critical action going on on a scale of 1 - 10 was around one. Or as low as it gets. Calling that a bball play is ridiculous. There's more at stake when a guy buys a hotdog than there was at that moment.

The Bynum thing, you've onviously got some kind of theory about. That's fine, but what happened was the very definition of a flagrent on a bball play. That's the bottom line that everyone would agree on-- check your personal theories at the door, please.

boozehound
04-25-2012, 03:10 PM
So closer to 9 if you factor in the lockout-shortened season. Not bad at all. Glad to see that Stern didn't overreact.
He will only lose one game check for this suspension. IMO he should have been fined on top of a suspension.

RazorBaLade
04-25-2012, 03:37 PM
this is really the same as 15-25 or so regular season games

whats the longest a players been suspended for during playoffs?

boozehound
04-25-2012, 03:55 PM
this is really the same as 15-25 or so regular season games

whats the longest a players been suspended for during playoffs?
no, its really not. first of all, he only loses one game check (1/66th of his salary), whereas a 15-25 game suspension is a huge chunk of the player's annual salary.

N0Skillz
04-25-2012, 05:35 PM
****en overreaction. 7 Days for Hardens flop? He should have ended Hardens career.

Cowboy Thunder
04-25-2012, 05:40 PM
Lakers would have lost in the first round regardless. No excuses Lakers fans

rodman91
04-25-2012, 05:48 PM
Malone's elbows >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Metta's elbows.

BlackWhiteGreen
04-25-2012, 06:01 PM
Apparent quote from MWP: " I didn

G-train
04-25-2012, 06:50 PM

Yeah unfortunately for him he has 13 prior suspensions including punching up fans. So he should have been banned for the playoffs.
He has been suspended 7 games because the NBA is comfortable the Lakers can win the first round without him.
Stern's love of money is greater than his hate of Artest.:pimp:

EoJ
04-25-2012, 06:56 PM
Ron just posted this on twitter http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1yjlnYjido&feature=youtube_gdata_player :lol

Droid101
04-25-2012, 07:24 PM
Yeah unfortunately for him he has 13 prior suspensions including punching up fans. So he should have been banned for the playoffs.
He has been suspended 7 games because the NBA is comfortable the Lakers can win the first round without him.
Stern's love of money is greater than his hate of Artest.:pimp:
Yeah just like Stern's love of money when he let a blockbuster trade go down that would have given the Lakers the best point guard in the league.

G-train
04-25-2012, 09:14 PM
Yeah just like Stern's love of money when he let a blockbuster trade go down that would have given the Lakers the best point guard in the league.

Stern owned the Hornets and wanted more for Paul.
SMH :facepalm

tmacattack33
04-25-2012, 09:37 PM
Wow, Artest is posting a lot on his twitter about this:

I'll be blogging and podcasting about how wrong my celebration was and how Steven A Smith and Jon Barry are not judging other dirty players.
5 hours ago

Can magic johnson,jon barry and steven A compare my accidental elbow to the Luis scola face step and the Blake griff take down..?
4 hours ago

Shaq ,How can u comment on elbows.. What about the punch you threw at brad miller. And the elbows at dikembe and the prizbilla concussion?
4 hours ago

Sports media , I understand yal articles and respect it.. But the players and players that played in the 80's judging me.More to come later.
4 hours ago

So... he already lied to everyone and tried to tell us it was an accident and he didn't see Harden there.

And now he's trying to deflect the blame and talk about how dirty other players are.

Good job Ron, way to stand up and own up to your mistakes. :durantunimpressed:

Smoke117
04-25-2012, 09:43 PM
Should have been 10 games.

DuMa
04-25-2012, 09:53 PM
i love how ron is actually dumb enough to try to explain his actions via twitter.

gigantes
04-25-2012, 09:57 PM
I'll be blogging and podcasting about how wrong my celebration was and how Steven A Smith and Jon Barry are not judging other dirty players.
5 hours ago

Can magic johnson,jon barry and steven A compare my accidental elbow to the Luis scola face step and the Blake griff take down..?
4 hours ago

Shaq ,How can u comment on elbows.. What about the punch you threw at brad miller. And the elbows at dikembe and the prizbilla concussion?
4 hours ago

Sports media , I understand yal articles and respect it.. But the players and players that played in the 80's judging me.More to come later.
4 hours ago
it's a shame. through the years i've generally been a fan of artest and have wanted to believe that he was growing out of his insane, destructive side.

nope. that ship has officially sailed. this guy is a totally disingenuous sack of shit. harsh, but there's no other way to put it. he lives in a fantasy world, takes zero responsibility for his actions, and is just as dangerous and unpredictable as ever.

meta random violence. that's the name he's earned from me.

Eat Like A Bosh
04-25-2012, 10:00 PM
As a Laker fan, I guess this is fair. But I wouldn't be too mad if it wass for 10+ games....

LosBulls
04-25-2012, 10:21 PM

Not enough inches of Durant's dick in your mouth :facepalm

maybeshewill13
04-25-2012, 10:24 PM
Not enough inches of Durant's dick in your mouth :facepalm

Hey again :yaohappy: You really love me don't you. Follow me everywhere like a puppy :lol

04mzwach
04-25-2012, 10:27 PM
it's a shame. through the years i've generally been a fan of artest and have wanted to believe that he was growing out of his insane, destructive side.

nope. that ship has officially sailed. this guy is a totally disingenuous sack of shit. harsh, but there's no other way to put it. he lives in a fantasy world, takes zero responsibility for his actions, and is just as dangerous and unpredictable as ever.

meta random violence. that's the name he's earned from me.
Well, people are basically attacking him. He just returns fire.

gigantes
04-25-2012, 10:46 PM
Well, people are basically attacking him. He just returns fire.
negative. nobody attacked him, and cocking your elbow and firing is the opposite of accidental.

someone throwing a cup of beer at him does not merit a beatdown. a monitor just hanging on the wall does not merit it getting smashed. someone playing physical ball with him does not merit a body slam. having an argument with your wife does not merit beating on her in this day and age. another player half-blocking his path (like you see all game long in every game) does not merit a vicious elbow to the head.

see the pattern?

Cowboy Thunder
04-26-2012, 12:54 PM
negative. nobody attacked him, and cocking your elbow and firing is the opposite of accidental.

someone throwing a cup of beer at him does not merit a beatdown. a monitor just hanging on the wall does not merit it getting smashed. someone playing physical ball with him does not merit a body slam. having an argument with your wife does not merit beating on her in this day and age. another player half-blocking his path (like you see all game long in every game) does not merit a vicious elbow to the head.

see the pattern?

he beat his wife? :biggums:

32jazz
04-26-2012, 02:41 PM

see the pattern?

He didn't beat his silly , vindictive wife who broke the windshield of his vehicle to prevent him from leaving his home.

It's Idiots like you who spread false statements on the internet.:facepalm

I'd like to know exactly when his wife ever claimed Artest 'beat on her' or exactly when he was convicted of beating his wife?

Trying unsuccessfully to leave his home then restrain an angry , vindictive windshield breaking wife is far from beating on her.

I know you are trying your best to paint Artest in a poor light ,but no need to lie on him.

talamo
04-26-2012, 02:45 PM
7 games isnt doing this man justice :facepalm
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/6909/d8d2fbe88e7b11e19dc7123w.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/254/d8d2fbe88e7b11e19dc7123w.jpg/)

RightToCensor
04-25-2014, 08:44 AM
Everyone defenfing Harden here.

Now he was 2010 Lebron hate.

tpols
04-14-2024, 12:48 PM
Reviving this thread for the Sunday showcase today.

https://youtu.be/YnayIPA0Yfk?si=jMGTbJEuIhRd0kXQ

I think that elbow to the back of the head temple area may have killed one of us.

This hit may have inspired Hardens flop game.

FultzNationRISE
04-14-2024, 12:59 PM
Harden really got SUPER lucky that elbow didnt come from Lebron instead. He'd be a vegetable right now.

FultzNationRISE
04-14-2024, 01:05 PM
Also it's always a delicious irony looking back on the vicious elbow thrown by the guy with "World Peace" on his jersey :roll:

brownmamba00
04-14-2024, 01:24 PM
Not sure why this got bumped but that game was a classic. Double OT.