PDA

View Full Version : Wade: NBA players should be paid for Olympics

konex
04-11-2012, 04:32 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/7801502/nba-olympians-compensated

Why would you say this out loud even if you think it? :facepalm

blablabla
04-11-2012, 04:33 PM
wade is a d-bag

Batz
04-11-2012, 04:34 PM
inb4representingyourcountryshouldbeenough

Wade is retarded. Olympics = Endorsements = $$$ = Bitches.

Simple math.

NewYorkNoPicks
Wades such a scumbag piece of shit inside

Eat Like A Bosh
Wade: Ahh Crap, that just slipped out of my mouth. What should I do now LeBron?

LeBron: Dude, you're not making my situation any better with that comment.

ralph_i_el
04-11-2012, 04:35 PM
why not? Somebody is making money of their games why shouldn't the players get a piece of the pie?

Why are they less entitled to revenue than the company that televises their games? Or the company that sells olympic jerseys?

Heavincent
Wade is a moron.

AlphaWolf24
he needs to be humbled...

blablabla
why not? Somebody is making money of their games why shouldn't the players get a piece of the pie?

Why are they less entitled to revenue than the company that televises their games? Or the company that sells olympic jerseys?
if you don't like it don't sign up nobody is forcing you to play for your nation

Batz
04-11-2012, 04:36 PM
if you don't like it don't sign up nobody is forcing you to play for your nation
Exactly. It's an invitation. Not a job opportunity.

Vienceslav
04-11-2012, 04:36 PM
I want Jordan , Bird and Magic to come on various tv and radio shows and declare that this would not happen with the Dream team so we can have some good old fashioned generation flame war.:roll:

ralph_i_el
04-11-2012, 04:37 PM

if you were an accountant would you do accounting for America pro-bono?

**** NO! this is their job. Basketball and training is hard work.

Kebab Stall
04-11-2012, 04:38 PM
No olympic athlete gets paid for their participation. Why should NBA players be any different?

The olympics are about representing your country, not about getting paid because it's a burden of your time. If he doesn't want to do it, he can find something else to do with his summers.

Batz
04-11-2012, 04:38 PM

**** NO! this is their job.
It's not a job. It's ****ing invitation. Volunteering. Yada yada.

DuMa
04-11-2012, 04:39 PM
Wade is getting the backlash when he was just AGREEING with Ray Allen who brought it up first

Christ you people cant read.

And i dont see why its wrong to say that. Obviously the Mens national basketball team for USA is the top drawing attraction of the olympics. The revenue stream cant be hogged entirely by the USA Basketball.

jbryan1984
04-11-2012, 04:40 PM
What a moron. Don't support your country if you don't want to. You already make enough money.

ralph_i_el
No olympic athlete gets paid for their participation. Why should NBA players be any different?

The olympics are about representing your country, not about getting paid because it's a burden of your time. If he doesn't want to do it, he can find something else to do with his summers.

countries pay stipends for olympic athletes all the time.

You would all give him just as much shit if he decided not to play at all

SOMEONE IS MAKING MONEY OFF OLYMPIC BASKETBALL. WHY IS IT WRONG FOR PLAYERS TO WANT THEIR CUT?

Heavincent
Wade is getting the backlash when he was just AGREEING with Ray Allen who brought it up first

And i dont see why its wrong to say that. Obviously the Mens national basketball team for USA is the top drawing attraction of the olympics. The revenue stream cant be hogged entirely by the USA Basketball.

lol at this butthrut Heat homer.

Kensta
It's not a job. It's ****ing invitation. Volunteering. Yada yada.

This.

Playing in the NBA is their job, not the Olympics.

Jameerthefear
04-11-2012, 04:41 PM
he needs to be humbled...
I thought Kobe already handled that...

DuMa
04-11-2012, 04:42 PM
lol at this butthrut Heat homer.

nice addition to the thread, idiot.

swi7ch
The world revolves around money so Ray Allen and Wade have a point. It'd be nice if honor and pride could pay bills but sadly no.

blablabla

i understand that but volunteering at a homeless shelter is hard work as well
they don't get paid

Disaprine
:facepalm

Cowboy Thunder
04-11-2012, 04:43 PM
The world revolves around money so Ray Allen and Wade have a point. It'd be nice if honor and pride could pay bills but sadly no.

Maybe they should mow yards this summer.

Good supplemental income, ya know?

Heavincent
nice addition to the thread, idiot.

This is funny coming from a lame one liner troll.

Batz
Olympics = Endorsements = $$$ = Bitches.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
04-11-2012, 04:44 PM
What a douche. The millions he gets from the NBA is not enough to play for you country? :oldlol:

If he doesn't want to play, then let someone young and hungry play. Someone that actually has a jumpshot would suffice

SunsCaptain
04-11-2012, 04:44 PM
Just put heavincent on ignore problems solved...seriously he never contributes to anything.

:sleeping

Myth
04-11-2012, 04:45 PM
If all Olympic players got payed, fine. But not just NBA players.

I would be cool if each country gave something like a $5,000-10,000 stipend to each of their athletes. But that also brings up complications. Some poor countries may try to hold their own athletes out of the Olympics just to save a little money. Also, it is difficult to make the compensation even across countries since money has different values in different countries.

Owl
04-11-2012, 04:45 PM
Looking at the article it seems he's only agreeing with what Ray Allen said.
Gut instinct is that it's an incredibly dense thing to say. Completely contrary to the Olympic spirit.
But he does talk about the fact that jersey's are sold from it (not sure where the money goes from this then) and the Olympics are incredibly commercial now. There are questions as far as transparency regarding where all the money made from the olympics goes.

But if you don't want to play no one is forcing you and if the (NBA) pros don't want to play because they feel they play too many games then send college and/or D-Leaguers.

boozehound
04-11-2012, 04:47 PM

this. what a ****ing tool box.

blablabla
04-11-2012, 04:48 PM
Looking at the article it seems he's only agreeing with what Ray Allen said.
Gut instinct is that it's an incredibly dense thing to say. Completely contrary to the Olympic spirit.
But he does talk about the fact that jersey's are sold from it (not sure where the money goes from this then) and the Olympics are incredibly commercial now. There are questions as far as transparency regarding where all the money made from the olympics goes.

But if you don't want to play no one is forcing you and if the (NBA) pros don't want to play because they feel they play too many games then send college and/or D-Leaguers.
uhh maybe they pay the 5star hotels and first class flights for all the players from it

InspiredLebowski

Why are they less entitled to revenue than the company that televises their games? Or the company that sells olympic jerseys?Not really. The Olympics are pretty much a money loser for all involved.

Alan
I don't know about the USA but if an Estonian athlete comes home with a medal from the Olympics he/she gets nicely rewarded by the state. Then again, we only get 1-2 medals on a good year and never from a team sport.

jamal99
04-11-2012, 04:49 PM

This.
I can't believe that somebody's asking for money for freaking Olypmics...

InspiredLebowski
04-11-2012, 04:50 PM
I don't know about the USA but if an Estonian athlete comes home with a medal from the Olympics he/she gets nicely rewarded by the state. Then again, we only get 1-2 medals on a good year and never from a team sport.The US does but it's "only" like 20k for a gold. Wade wipes his ass with 20 grand.

Kebab Stall
04-11-2012, 04:51 PM
countries pay stipends for olympic athletes all the time.
A lot of olympic athletes are amateurs or only get their money through sponsors. So a lot of them need that funding so they can train and compete.

NBA players don't need shit. They already earn millions.

SunsCaptain
To be honest I would ask for money to be in the olympics....but not if i was an NBA player of his caliber lol....

But atm yes I would want money!

Lebron23
NBA players needs to sign some papers when they participates in International Competitions. If they get injured their original NBA teams shouldn't be paying them.

Lebron23
04-11-2012, 04:52 PM
If all Olympic players got payed, fine. But not just NBA players.

I would be cool if each country gave something like a $5,000-10,000 stipend to each of their athletes. But that also brings up complications. Some poor countries may try to hold their own athletes out of the Olympics just to save a little money. Also, it is difficult to make the compensation even across countries since money has different values in different countries.

Team Philippines/Smart Gilas 1.0 have an annual salary.

http://www.pinoyweb.info/double-salary-plan-may-settle-japeths-woes/

Alan
04-11-2012, 04:53 PM
The US does but it's "only" like 20k for a gold. Wade wipes his ass with 20 grand.
20k for an individual gold medal or team medal?

If its for individual gold then damn, you got some cheap ass politicians :D

konex
04-11-2012, 04:54 PM

I'm not saying they're not entitled to it but the Olympics also makes money off the other athletes who don't make a fraction of what Wade makes and you don't see them asking for pay. You parlay your success into endorsement deals, that's just how it works.

Wade needs to realize he comes off as a huge d-bag with these comments :no:

InspiredLebowski
04-11-2012, 04:56 PM

If its for individual gold then damn, you got some cheap ass politicians :DThe government doesn't pay any of it, it's all from the US Olympic Committee which is all private. They do have training centers where they train and live in the offseasons for free, so there's that I guess. But yeah, no government funding.

Owl
04-11-2012, 04:56 PM
uhh maybe they pay the 5star hotels and first class flights for all the players from it
Most athletes stay at the Olympic Village. The hosting country pays for the construction of this and makes money back from the masses of tourism (and publicity generated). Presumably those who choose to stay elsewhere are payed for privately (presumably by something like USA Basketball).

I'm not saying players should be payed, only that the Olympics isn't what it used to be and is now super-commercial and I don't know where that money goes.

konex
04-11-2012, 04:57 PM

Ray got this backlash years ago when he was a star. It's not a big story coming from him anymore lol. Wade should know better

Derka
04-11-2012, 04:58 PM

Better idea: no one forces these guys to play for the national team. If he's not satisfied with the arrangement, nothing's stopping him from not playing.

DuMa
I'm not saying they're not entitled to it but the Olympics also makes money off the other athletes who don't make a fraction of what Wade makes and you don't see them asking for pay. You parlay your success into endorsement deals, that's just how it works.

Wade needs to realize he comes off as a huge d-bag with these comments :no:

I dont see why Wade should get most of the blame for thinking out loud what most NBA players and the community are thinking. Ray Allen obviously thinks the same way so I am assuming other NBA players feel the same.

and Wade knew what he was doing with those comments. This is the kind of story that will spark a huge debate and will bring in comments from past participants of the Men's national basketball teams.

QuebecBaller
Nba players have a family to feed

http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/images/11/2008/02/spreeeee.jpg
:lol :lol

But seriously, they should be proud to represent their country. Many athletes work very hard for 4 years to have the chance to be selected and participate in the olympics. For Nba players, it's just: " Do you want to participate? Ok, you're on the team"

Wade should be banned from the olympics

Peteballa
04-11-2012, 05:00 PM
Wow. :biggums:

ralph_i_el
04-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Not really. The Olympics are pretty much a money loser for all involved.

TV stations lose money broadcasting the games? I doubt that.

This is only a problem if more players start to want compensation. Right now Dwade and Allen have no leverage, because they'll easily be replaced with someone who will play for free. Therefore, the worth of their labor is 0, because other people will do it for free.

however, I don't see anything morally wrong with wanting a piece of revenue that you helped produce

InspiredLebowski
04-11-2012, 05:03 PM
TV stations lose money broadcasting the games? I doubt that.

This is only a problem if more players start to want compensation. Right now Dwade and Allen have no leverage, because they'll easily be replaced with someone who will play for free. Therefore, the worth of their labor is 0, because other people will do it for free.

however, I don't see anything morally wrong with wanting a piece of revenue that you helped produceNBC lost over 200 million on the Vancouver games.

dunksby
04-11-2012, 05:05 PM
:durantunimpressed:

dunksby
04-11-2012, 05:06 PM
NBC lost over 200 million on the Vancouver games.
Summer Olympics totally a different story.

ralph_i_el
04-11-2012, 05:06 PM
NBC lost over 200 million on the Vancouver games.

winter olympics man who gives a crap? The only thing anyone watches is the hockey.

They made an estimated 110 million on the last summer games.

blablabla
04-11-2012, 05:07 PM
Most athletes stay at the Olympic Village. The hosting country pays for the construction of this and makes money back from the masses of tourism (and publicity generated). Presumably those who choose to stay elsewhere are payed for privately (presumably by something like USA Basketball).

I'm not saying players should be payed, only that the Olympics isn't what it used to be and is now super-commercial and I don't know where that money goes.
the ioc gets most of the money i think

I<3NBA
04-11-2012, 05:13 PM

get your facts straight. a lot of Olympic athletes are paid to participate. idk about your country, but in my country, they have a regular stipend, and full support from the government. that's aside from taking home a million if they bag gold.

LBJMVP
04-11-2012, 05:13 PM
wade is talking about all the work you have to put in for the olympics during the summer... im sorry that 1 time every for years you have to work in the offseason like normal people.

making 14 million per season plus endorsement and having a chance to win a game for you country isn't enough? he is complaining about the minimal amount of jerseys they sell? god damn he is stupid.

lebron said the right thing.

Eric Cartman
04-11-2012, 05:14 PM
It's his opinion. Respect for saying it.

Doranku
04-11-2012, 05:14 PM
Are you kidding me? This f@ggot has the opportunity to play for and represent his country in the Olympics, and he thinks he should get paid for it?

:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

Real Men Wear Green
04-11-2012, 05:16 PM
Players recuperate in the offseason. Playing in the Olympics reduces that recuperation time. Players also sustain additional wear and tear beyond their peers. A guy that plays in every world basketball championship could be cutting his career shorter than it would have been. I'm not going to try and put a dollar value on it but it's not unreasonable for the players to request pay for their services.

IGOTGAME
04-11-2012, 05:17 PM
Players recuperate in the offseason. Playing in the Olympics reduces that recuperation time. Players also sustain additional wear and tear beyond their peers. A guy that plays in every world basketball championship could be cutting his career shorter than it would have been. I'm not going to try and put a dollar value on it but it's not unreasonable for the players to request pay for their services.
then don't play.

Velocirap31
04-11-2012, 05:17 PM
Wade can just sell his gold medal then if he wins one. It obviously doesn't mean much to him.

Kebab Stall
04-11-2012, 05:20 PM
get your facts straight. a lot of Olympic athletes are paid to participate. idk about your country, but in my country, they have a regular stipend, and full support from the government. that's aside from taking home a million if they bag gold.
You do realise what a stipend is? It's funding.

They are not paid salaries like NBA players or any other professionals.

They may receive rewards for their achievements, but they do not receive a garunteed salary.

DMV2
04-11-2012, 05:36 PM
I don't see anything wrong with it. The whole idea of being honored to represent your country or go to war for your country is bullshit anyway.

It ain't like our government give a shit about us as an individual.

DuMa
04-11-2012, 05:40 PM
anyone know if Spain is doing anything for their dream team of Basketball players. They probably pull in close or similar revenue for their merchandise they sell for players like Pau/Marc/Rubio/Jose

Lebron23
04-11-2012, 05:46 PM
I don't see anything wrong with it. The whole idea of being honored to represent your country or go to war for your country is bullshit anyway.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Signature Worthy.

LockoutOver11
04-11-2012, 05:46 PM

asuuuuu madreeeee...

hell yeahh

ralph_i_el
04-11-2012, 05:50 PM
anyone know if Spain is doing anything for their dream team of Basketball players. They probably pull in close or similar revenue for their merchandise they sell for players like Pau/Marc/Rubio/Jose

rubio probably won't play

K.Koscik
04-11-2012, 05:54 PM
Heat players LeBron James and Chris Bosh are also on the Team USA roster for the Summer Games. But neither player would say if they agreed with Wade and Allen regarding player compensation.

"I love representing my country, man," James said. "I've done it since 2004 and I'm looking forward to doing it in London. As far as (pay), I don't know, man. It doesn't matter. I'm happy to be a part of the team, to be selected again."

:cheers:

brantonli
04-11-2012, 05:55 PM

College players get stipends as well, but people still say they should get paid for the games. The big difference between most Olympians and other professionals is that NBA players main job is to play in the NBA, and the Olympics are an aside, while other Olympians the Olympics will be the highlight of their career, and they would do everything they can to get to that point, regardless of being paid or not, NBA players have it completely different (and a hell of a lot easier than other Olympians). That's probably why Wade's perspective is so different.

AlphaWolf24
04-11-2012, 05:58 PM

when you "go to war"...or represent your country...you don't fight for the Government...you fight for the people next to you...and you send a crystal clear message...about yourself and who/what you and your fellow countrymen are/believe in.

Jaws havin, Kanye West stealin , DSL's glossin Wade obvioulsy has 0 clue....

Real Men Wear Green
04-11-2012, 05:59 PM
then don't play.
You people would just complain about them even more. But, if they want to get paid they'd have to go that route. Probably won't happen.

I<3NBA
04-11-2012, 06:02 PM

They may receive rewards for their achievements, but they do not receive a garunteed salary.
you do realize what funding is? it's money. call it any word you like, salary, stipend, funding - fkng government dole-out if you will, it's still money.

and as i already mentioned before, in my country, that "stipend" is guaranteed.

so, in the beginning, the statement NO OLYMPIC PLAYER receives salary, is already FALSE.

and that is aside from the "reward" they will receive if they bag a medal. medal or no, my country's players are paid. we can't very well ask them to compete and train full time for the Olympics if they're not paid now, can we? training for the Olympics is their full time job. therefore, they get paid for that job. if we ask them not to get paid, that means they'd have to take a regular job which means they won't have time to train.

so - i understand in the USA, you treat your Olympic players as slaves. but in my country, we pay them so they can play for their country without having to beg for food.

jrong
04-11-2012, 06:08 PM
Wade can just sell his gold medal then if he wins one. It obviously doesn't mean much to him.

He already has one.

It was an unwise statement to make, but when he extends the comparison to college players deserving to get paid, he has a point. College players bring millions of dollars into their university coffers yet get nothing. Similarly with the Olympics, people are making money off of unpaid athletes-- the venues, the networks, the merchandising (including jersey sales), etc.

IGOTGAME
04-11-2012, 06:09 PM
You people would just complain about them even more. But, if they want to get paid they'd have to go that route. Probably won't happen.

I believe there are a lot of capable NBA guys who won't request a salary. Guys like Wade staying home wouldn't bother me. He can stay home now, no one would care.

DuMa
04-11-2012, 06:09 PM
rubio probably won't play

they will still field a great team for the olympics, one that is worthy enough to generate revenue for Spain's olympic committee

Fiasco
04-11-2012, 06:11 PM
I don't know if it's already been mentioned, but did Ray Allen not say the same thing?

jrong
04-11-2012, 06:18 PM

Maybe stipends are different in other countries, but here a stipend is generally defined as a living allowance. It is definitely guaranteed and has nothing to do with program funding.

The debate about whether college players should be paid usually is targeted not at them earning a salary but being given a stipend, so they are not as tempted by illegal inducements.

Now, the idea of multi-millionaire athletes being given a "living allowance" is a little hilarious, but it doesn't mean that US Olympic players aren't justified in suggesting they might be entitled to some of all the money that will be made off of their participation.

Real Men Wear Green
04-11-2012, 06:18 PM
I believe there are a lot of capable NBA guys who won't request a salary. Guys like Wade staying home wouldn't bother me. He can stay home now, no one would care.
If Wade is the only defection Team USA is probably fine. But we aren't so far ahead that we can be sure of victory if we don't send a team that is largely among the elite. Don't forget that young James and Wade ended up with a bronze and we had a team whose best scorer was Pierce that didn't even medal.

creepingdeath
04-11-2012, 06:26 PM
American NBA stars :yaohappy:

JellyBean
04-11-2012, 06:27 PM
Wow. If Wade said that:facepalm Where is the love of playing for your country. That should be payment enough. I am not surprised that someone would this kind of statement. I am just surprised that it came from Wade.

I<3NBA
04-11-2012, 06:32 PM
Wow. If Wade said that:facepalm Where is the love of playing for your country. That should be payment enough. I am not surprised that someone would this kind of statement. I am just surprised that it came from Wade.
not every Olympic player is an NBA star, and a millionaire. i'm sure some of the Olympic athletes in your country doesn't have as big as a salary as NBA players. and then what? do you tell them to play just for the love of your country?

Fiasco
04-11-2012, 06:33 PM
So Wade was just agreeing with Allen? Why is Ray not catching as much flack?

zizozain
04-11-2012, 06:34 PM
ok Wades such a scumbag piece of shit inside . but he's right

why not when orgnizers and winning teams make millions

Olympic Games used to be non-paying events but In 1986, professional athletes were given permission by the International Federation to compete in each sport of the Olympic Games

and the one who said:

No olympic athlete gets paid for their participation

no worng . some countries pay millions of sollars to the athletes who get gold

actually they can get a bonus from their country and sponsors. Here is an actual report from CNN Money so you can read and see what I mean.

Headline Central August 31, 2004

Is it time for America to pay Olympic winners Jimmy Pedro won a bronze medal in judo at the Olympics earlier this week, along with a $10,000 prize from the U.S. Olympic Committee. That and this report from CNNmoney.com's Chris Isidore He shared the bronze with Leandro Guilhiero of Brazil, who got no prize money. Nor did the Korean athlete who won the gold, nor the Russian who took home the silver.

The USOC has paid prize money to its winning Olympians since 1984, this year giving out $25,000 to gold medal winners, $15,000 to those who take home a silver and $10,000 for a bronze. Some of the richer U.S. sport federations give additional prize money to their winners as well.

Sponsors sometimes give bonuses for wins, too. Swimmer Michael Phelps, for example, would have gotten a $1 million bonus from his sponsor Speedo if he had met Mark Spitz's record of seven gold medals.

Some of the U.S. athletes who are already raking in big endorsement deals, or professional salaries, may not need the USOC prize money.

American men's basketball players, for example, have pledged to donate their prize money to youth basketball programs in the United States. (Given the team's performance in Athens, let's hope those groups haven't yet spent the money earmarked for them.)

Imagine the outrage if the Yankees had each received their $180,889 share for losing the World Series last year, while the upstart Florida Marlins had not gotten any money from World Series ticket revenues for beating them.

Worse than that, imagine if the Marlins players had been forced to go home from the World Series and work full-time jobs for the next 11 months. What if every team but the Yankees had to squeeze in baseball and training when they could, while the New Yorkers could train full-time?

That's the case in many of the high profile sports in the Olympics. It's a reason why two economists have found that gross domestic product is almost as important to predicting a nation's Olympic success as the size of the population base from which to chose athletes.

It's long past time for the International Olympics Committee, which disperses most of the billions in broadcast and international sponsorship dollars that the games bring in, to make sure that some of this money can go directly to the athletes.

The new television contracts the IOC has negotiated include enough money to fund such a prize pool easily. NBC alone will pay $614 million for the U.S. rights to the 2006 Winter Games, or about $64 million more than it paid in Salt Lake City in 2002.

It will pay $894 million for the 2008 games in Beijing, or about $100 million more. Overseas broadcast rights and sponsorship dollars are also rising. And the money will rise even more in 2010 and 2012.

Some IOC money is distributed to some of the poorer national teams. But it's not clear how many athletes directly benefit from the $3.7 billion that the IOC received in broadcast rights, sponsor dollars and licensing fees over the last four years.

The IOC could fund a pool paying the same $25,000/$15,000/$10,000 prize distribution from just the increase in the U.S. TV deal. There will be just under 3,000 medals awarded in Athens. Paying at that rate that the USOC pays would cost the IOC about $49.5 million total. In some of these countries, a prize of $25,000 could allow the athlete not to have to worry about anything but training until the next Olympics rolled around.
Yes, the U.S. athletes would still have tremendous financial advantages. But IOC prizes would at least provide a minimum level of support for those who need the help the most.

More than 20 years ago, the Olympics dropped the charade that it was a celebration of amateur sports. It's well past time that it drop of the amateurish policy of not paying the prize money to the athletes who make the games the financial success they have become. That and this report from CNNmoney.com's Chris Isidore

googled

-

ReturnofJPR
04-11-2012, 06:39 PM
Thank God for players like Kevin Durant and Derrick Rose who have respect for the game of basketball and pride for one's country.

zizozain
04-11-2012, 06:45 PM
IOC . FIFA and NBA are simply greedy blood suckers

sbw19
04-11-2012, 06:48 PM
"We play the whole summer. I do think guys should be compensated."

for participating? for winning gold? there's a difference you know.

LamarOdom
04-11-2012, 06:54 PM
It is all NBA's fault some player play up to 100 games and then they go to play olympics it is not easy how much money you make, I am not justifying Wade's comment but I think he just making a statement he don't care if he get's money.

Wade is a injure prone player that this year probably will play up to 75-80 (lockout and tighter schedule) games and then go too the olympics play 7-10 more games then right back to summer camp and before he knows it it's right back too a new 82 games season, A body can only handle so much.

Faptastrophe
04-11-2012, 07:37 PM
Amazing. At the end, LeBron is the voice of reason:
"I love representing my country, man," James said. "I've done it since 2004 and I'm looking forward to doing it in London. As far as (pay), I don't know, man. It doesn't matter. I'm happy to be a part of the team, to be selected again."

PJR
04-11-2012, 07:37 PM
Mark Cuban has been saying NBA players should be paid in the Olympics for YEARS.

Only now a guys are realizing how much free advertising goes on off their images/likelyness during the Olympics. Also the injury risk.

Respect to to Ray and Wade for keeping it G. :applause:

eliteballer
04-11-2012, 07:50 PM
Yeah, because they need money:mad:

Dwyane Rose
04-11-2012, 07:50 PM

... Ray Allen getting totally ignored on this or what? He seems to have a lot of fans on ISH.

G-Funk
04-11-2012, 07:52 PM
Skip is gonna have a field day with this

G-Funk
04-11-2012, 07:53 PM
Amazing. At the end, LeBron is the voice of reason:

Yes, He owned Wade and any player who thinks that they should be paid. Best thing he has said his entire career.

sbw19
04-11-2012, 08:02 PM
Yeah, because they need money:mad:

From the perspective of an injury-prone guy having to endure a shortened season + probably a deep playoffs run, supporting the idea of compensation for risking injury by playing during (this) off-season isn't exactly the end of the world. Not a proponent, but I totally understand where he's coming from.

Euroleague
04-11-2012, 08:03 PM
Considering that Wade can barely even put intelligible sentences together, this level of stupidity coming from him is no surprise.

brantonli
04-11-2012, 08:04 PM
not every Olympic player is an NBA star, and a millionaire. i'm sure some of the Olympic athletes in your country doesn't have as big as a salary as NBA players. and then what? do you tell them to play just for the love of your country?

They do get paid, and it's not even from the government. But it's an incredibly low number compared to what NBA players earn, have a look at this:

http://www.theadventurouswriter.com/working/do-olympic-athletes-get-paid-job-description-olympian/

And why the hell are people throwing up the 'medal reward' as if it were a 'salary'? That has nothing to do with the base money given to athletes who compete in the Olympics. The money they receive to fund their training mostly comes from sponsorship. That medal reward is simply an added bonus to if they win the medal .

What Wade is saying is that the Olympics should compensate them because their bodies get worn out during the summer because of the Olympics. Well then, why the hell are you playing in the Olympics? There's a reason why it's called an invitation, not an order.

On the other hand, especially for the athletes who can't make ends meet (not much money to be made in shooting), it seems quite understandable from their POV to request money though. NBA stars are lucky in the respect that their sports brings in millions while others bring in almost nothing for the whole year. So I'm really torn. Personally I think it's a bit spoilt for NBA players (who earn so damn much already) to ask for even more money for the Olympics, while other, poorer countries athletes need to get part time jobs to supplement their income. If Wade was making the point that there's a LOT of money in the Olympics and some of it should go to the athletes, then fine, I agree, but his point is that NBA players should be compensated for lack of rest over the summer, well that's your own damn fault for accepting, there are plenty other NBA and college players who would love to play in the Olympics.
Although I have to admit, it is worrying about how much money there is made from the Olympics, but where does it all go?

LockoutOver11
04-11-2012, 08:09 PM
when you "go to war"...or represent your country...you don't fight for the Government...you fight for the people next to you...and you send a crystal clear message...about yourself and who/what you and your fellow countrymen are/believe in.

Jaws havin, Kanye West stealin , DSL's glossin Wade obvioulsy has 0 clue....

sikee

Euroleague
04-11-2012, 08:15 PM

If its for individual gold then damn, you got some cheap ass politicians :D

The 2008 Redeem Team did get paid. They got all their equipment, clothes, uniforms, food, travel, accommodations -- all of that was paid for.

They also received $85 a day spending money. In addition to that each player on the team received $25,000 after the tournament.

It's not bad for a couple months work for most people. But guys like Wade and Ray Allen are such greedy creeps, that apparently to them this does not even register as having been paid at all.

Just a couple of more brain dead, uneducated, stupid, greedy punks. All their expenses being paid, $85 a day cash (when you have all your food and housing provided) and a $25,000 pay is more than enough for a couple months of work.

These guys are just greedy scum.

get these NETS
04-11-2012, 08:29 PM
jealousy and envy

demons2005
04-11-2012, 08:29 PM
wrong thread

Derka
04-11-2012, 08:36 PM
Good for Lebron if he truly feels that way.

And as for Ray Allen saying the same thing, I'm a huge Ray fan and that's one point of view of his I'll never agree with. He gets no free pass on this one with me.

bigt
04-11-2012, 08:54 PM
The 2008 Redeem Team did get paid. They got all their equipment, clothes, uniforms, food, travel, accommodations -- all of that was paid for.

They also received $85 a day spending money. In addition to that each player on the team received $25,000 after the tournament.

It's not bad for a couple months work for most people. But guys like Wade and Ray Allen are such greedy creeps, that apparently to them this does not even register as having been paid at all.

Just a couple of more brain dead, uneducated, stupid, greedy punks. All their expenses being paid, $85 a day cash (when you have all your food and housing provided) and a $25,000 pay is more than enough for a couple months of work.

These guys are just greedy scum.

Given how much they make in the NBA, that's hardly anything, but I don't feel they should be paid anything else (except maybe getting a % of jersey sales, that I think they should get).

There are too many other athletes in lower tier sports that should be getting compensation, the ones who sacrifice paychecks to train and compete in the Olympics. It should be considered a great honour to represent your country in the Olympics, and for every person who might not want to participate because they don't get paid, there will be five who would jump at the spot for free

SIRI1
04-11-2012, 09:07 PM
Dont see the big deal here. He was asked if he agreed with Ray Allen and he said that it would be nice to get compensated, but you dont play for the dollar at the Olympics.

Wade has played for Team USA every time he has been healthy enough to, ever since being drafted, so its not like he's ever sat out because of the no compensation.

CavaliersFTW
04-11-2012, 09:15 PM
I wonder what all the non-pro Olympic players from the last century, who had to go back home to their factory and truck driving jobs, would say to poor lil Dwayne Wade who isn't making enough money simply playing in the NBA rite now.

CelticBaller
04-11-2012, 09:20 PM

its not a job if you dont get paid

:kobe:

BlueandGold
04-11-2012, 09:22 PM
I'm all for the players getting justly compensated but in the case of the olympics I don't agree, and not on the argument of "do it because you love amerika".

The olympics only happens once every four years and there's no exactly an extremely labor-intensive training camp that goes alongside it either. Because of the sheer magnitude of the domination of the US's basketball talent pool as compared to other countries, Team USA basketball feels more like an NBA all-star game than a rigidly structured national team who plays together all the time.

But yea a way more relevant, legitimate and easy to argue point would be to pay college players, or at least give a living/eating/entertainment stipend.

dunksby
04-11-2012, 09:27 PM
If I was a talented athlete one of my dreams would be to play in the Olympics and win, if Wade does not feel like it replace him with someone who is hungry for it.

MichaelCheazley
04-11-2012, 09:32 PM
If I was a talented athlete one of my dreams would be to play in the Olympics and win, if Wade does not feel like it replace him with someone who is hungry for it.
Dream already accomplished as the best player for a gold medal team.

SleepyCorpse
04-11-2012, 09:32 PM
3 pages of Wade hate for something Ray Allen said.

Lebron23
04-11-2012, 10:10 PM
3 pages of Wade hate for something Ray Allen said.

Ray is a good guy, but he's a sex maniac. He's the same guy who wanted to suck Miss Penicheiro's CL1toris, and wanted her to ride his C*ck.

http://necolebitchie.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/RAY-ALLEN-TWITTER-TWEET-edited.jpg

Eat Like A Bosh
04-11-2012, 10:36 PM
While I may not completely agree with Wade, there is an argument for that. The reason they allowed pros to play was for money, they do generate a lot more revenue. It only makes sense for them to get their share right? It's the same thing with college players, they generate millions for the university, but get paid nothing. Well sure they have scholarships, but that is nothing compared to what they make for the university.

Wade can always choose not to play, but he would be bashed by the critics and us fans for the rest of the decade after that comment, so he's really not in an easy position.

And if anyone wondered what Ray Allen originally said, here it is:

“You talk about the patriotism that guys should want to play for, but you (need to) find a way to entice the guys,” Allen said. “It’s not the easiest thing in the world if you play deep in the playoffs and then you get two, three weeks off and then you start training again to play more basketball where it requires you to be away from home and in another country. It’s fun, but your body does need a break.

“Everybody says, ‘Play for your country.’ But (NBA players are) commodities, your businesses. You think about it, you do camps in the summer, you have various opportunities to make money. When you go overseas and play basketball, you lose those opportunities, what you may make… If I’m an accountant and I get outsourced by my firm, I’m going to make some money somewhere else.”

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/11/ray-allen-thinks-guys-should-be-paid-to-play-in-olympics/

kurt_rambis
04-11-2012, 10:43 PM
this is one of those things where he has a valid point, but he's a ****ing millionaire and should stfu and play, or stfu and don't play

smush=mvp!
04-11-2012, 10:48 PM
Ray is a good guy, but he's a sex maniac. He's the same guy who wanted to suck Miss Penicheiro's CL1toris, and wanted her to ride his C*ck.

http://necolebitchie.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/RAY-ALLEN-TWITTER-TWEET-edited.jpg

He was hacked no?

Celtics 1825
04-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Like you don't get paid millions from the NBA already :rolleyes:

RaininTwos
04-11-2012, 11:00 PM
I think every Olympic athlete should get paid.

97 bulls
04-11-2012, 11:09 PM
The players shoould be payed off of naming rights. And Jersey sells etc. Not for actually playing. If venues are making extra off US players, why shouldnt the players get their share.

For instance. If it cost $20 to see an olympic game in London between Cuba and Croatia, but then $260 to witness Cuba play the US mens national team, what does that tell you?

DavisWarriorsFan
04-11-2012, 11:11 PM
I thought people said Dwyane Wade is a humble dude?

CelticBaller
04-11-2012, 11:12 PM

mah man:pimp:

SIRI1
04-11-2012, 11:28 PM
Wade tweeted about this just now

I'm reading a lot of reports coming out about my comments re: the Olympics and compensation. And I want to clear this up personally .

I responded 2 a specific question asked by a reporter on my thoughts of Olympians being paid. I never asked to be paid to PLAY.

What I was referencing is there is a lot of Olympic business that happens that athletes are not a part of - and it’s a complicated issue.

BUT my love 4 the game & pride 4 USA motivates me more than any $$$ amount. I repped my country in 2004 when we won the bronze medal and stood proudly to receive our gold medal in 2008 in Beijing.

It’s always been an honor for me to be a part of the USA Olympic family and I’m looking forward to doing it again in London this summer.

DuMa
04-11-2012, 11:56 PM
Kenny Smith just said on NBATV he agrees with Ray and Dwyane. Players should get compensated for their likeness being sold in merchandise. not neccessarily for playing but at least for their likeness being sold.

RaininTwos
04-11-2012, 11:59 PM
Kenny Smith just said on NBATV he agrees with Ray and Dwyane. Players should get compensated for their likeness being sold in merchandise. not neccessarily for playing but at least for their likeness being sold.
ISH is so stupid dude. People seem to welcome corporations making a killing off the olympics but a player being compensated is just outrageous to them. I couldn't believe some of the responses in this thread. It's cool if Nike and Coca Cola make hundreds of millions of dollars but a player getting a stipend or something like that is completely and utterly ridiculous, I tell you!!!

97 bulls
04-12-2012, 12:17 AM
ISH is so stupid dude. People seem to welcome corporations making a killing off the olympics but a player being compensated is just outrageous to them. I couldn't believe some of the responses in this thread. It's cool if Nike and Coca Cola make hundreds of millions of dollars but a player getting a stipend or something like that is completely and utterly ridiculous, I tell you!!!
Exactly

TeamLAC
04-12-2012, 12:21 AM
Who gives a f*ck about what Wade says? :oldlol:

305Baller
04-12-2012, 12:25 AM
i think it is fair to get some jersey sales, imho

:coleman:

Vragrant
04-12-2012, 01:15 AM
I thought people said Dwyane Wade is a humble dude?

I dont think you read ish often. If you read more, you'll find Wade is actually a classless scumbag piece of trash:oldlol:

FPJ
04-12-2012, 01:34 AM
Very sad individuals in this thread. You guys would comment on any misinformed info the media throws at you. No wonder Skip is so popular. He knows his audience.

At the end of the day you all go to sleep and wake up being you while Wade does whatever he wants because he earned it and can.

:lebronamazed:

NumberSix
04-12-2012, 02:24 AM
Tell you what. When the TV networks don't make money on commercial spots, the Olympics don't charge for tickets, and NOBODY makes a profit of these athletes labor, then you can argue that the athletes should work for free.

If people want to watch people preform, and are willing to pay for it, that generates money. If it generates money, why should the actual performers be the ONLY people involved who don't get paid?

That's like a musician selling out a concert, and he's the only one who doesn't get paid, even though it generates tons of money.

D-Wade316
04-12-2012, 02:27 AM
Haha! Wrong title thread and fukk u at the haters.

We play the whole summer. I do think guys should be compensated. Just like I think college players should be compensated as well. Unfortunately, it's not there. But I think it should be something, you know, there for it.

ProfessorMurder
04-12-2012, 02:30 AM
Hey Wade, you're supposed to play for respect.

(Endorsements are another issue and I don't care about that. Get paid.)

donald_trump
04-12-2012, 02:35 AM
what a bunch of idiots in this thread.

what if a player gets injured? its nice to know that at least you earned some money for getting injured on your off time. in the mean time they are also making money off their achievements, jerseys, names, etc.

why shouldn't the players get money for it? players in the soccer world cup get money for representing their country.

would you represent your country at what you do for free in your holiday time?

just a bunch of idiots in here scurrying to throw insults at a player who already gets enough hate for stupid reasons made up by the same people.

CardiacKemba
04-12-2012, 03:36 AM

This. I think it was just exciting for all haters of the Heat and Wade to get on here and make comments on him to make themselves feel big.

NumberSix
04-12-2012, 03:38 AM
Why in the world would you facepalm that?

D-Wade316
04-12-2012, 03:44 AM
Why in the world would you facepalm that?
It was directed at the retards who didn't bother to read the article. :confusedshrug:

NumberSix
04-12-2012, 03:49 AM
People are missing the point completely. The olympics generate an enormous amount of money. It has to go somewhere. TV networks are selling airtime for commercials. There are ticket sales. Merchandising. Everybody but the performers is getting paid.

Is anybody saying NBC should broadcast the Olympics without commercials? That they already have lots of money, and they should just be proud to broadcast their country's athletes. No. Of course not. They're getting paid.

It's amazing how stupid most of you people are. Most of you must be abysmal failures in your lives. No common sense or even minimal business acumen.

SunsCaptain
04-12-2012, 03:56 AM
The Olympics has to cost Sooooooooo much to set up plan and operate. sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ****ing much money.

****ING SHIT LOADS OF MONEY.

Not to mention players will generate an enormous amount of money by playing in the olympics through sponsors and advirtisements.

In all ur pefect worls if you would want players to get paid that means every athlete would have to get paid and honestly there prob wont be that much money floating around. players can get like a 10k pay check if that....lol....thats prob way to high.

iamgine
04-12-2012, 04:26 AM
Is anybody saying NBC should broadcast the Olympics without commercials? That they already have lots of money, and they should just be proud to broadcast their country's athletes. No. Of course not. They're getting paid.

Thats not the same at all.

NumberSix
04-12-2012, 04:37 AM
Thats not the same at all.
Wow. Strong points.

BUT...... It's like, c'mon.

novocaine
04-12-2012, 05:12 AM
i just lost even the smallest amount of respect i had left for DWade. This is ridiculous. I really really hope he gets cut off the roster.

Playing at the olympics should be a freakin honor.

by the way: he gets a damn f.uckin free all in clusive trip to europe.

SIRI1
04-12-2012, 05:17 AM
i just lost even the smallest amount of respect i had left for DWade. This is ridiculous. I really really hope he gets cut off the roster.

Playing at the olympics should be a freakin honor.
He was asked if olympic athletes should be compensated like Ray Allen said, and he said yes.

He didnt say they had to be and he didnt say he wouldnt participate if they werent, just that they should.

Wade has represented his Team USA every time he has been healthy enough to. Even in '08 when he was coming off an injury-filled season. We're not talking about someone who has declined chances to represent his country here.

RoseCity07
04-12-2012, 05:19 AM
I take Wade's side on this. This is a business. The sponsors and people who run the olympics make a lot of money. Why should the athletes pay for free while corporations make money off of them?

SunsCaptain
04-12-2012, 05:23 AM
The Olympics has to cost Sooooooooo much to set up plan and operate. sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ****ing much money.

****ING SHIT LOADS OF MONEY.

Not to mention players will generate an enormous amount of money by playing in the olympics through sponsors and advirtisements.

The IOC distributes approximately 92% of Olympic marketing revenue to organizations throughout the Olympic Movement to support the staging of the Olympic Games and to promote the worldwide development of sport. The IOC retains approximately 8% of Olympic marketing revenue for the operational and administrative costs of governing the Olympic Movement

The USOC has paid prize money to its winning Olympians since 1984, this year giving out $25,000 to gold medal winners, $15,000 to those who take home a silver and $10,000 for a bronze. Some of the richer U.S. sport federations give additional prize money to their winners as well.

Sponsors sometimes give bonuses for wins, too. Swimmer Michael Phelps, for example, would have gotten a $1 million bonus from his sponsor Speedo if he had met Mark Spitz's record of seven gold medals.

Some of the U.S. athletes who are already raking in big endorsement deals, or professional salaries, may not need the USOC prize money.

American men's basketball players, for example, have pledged to donate their prize money to youth basketball programs in the United States. (Given the team's performance in Athens, let's hope those groups haven't yet spent the money earmarked for them.)

04mzwach
04-12-2012, 10:11 AM
Wade can play somewhere else. Guys like this shouldn't be on the team.

donald_trump
04-12-2012, 10:17 AM
Wade can play somewhere else. Guys like this shouldn't be on the team.

why?

would you like to represent your country for free at your job in your holiday time?

and yet he still does it.

Balla_Status
04-12-2012, 10:30 AM

Agreed. Too many liberals here that complain about people making money.

SunsCaptain
04-12-2012, 10:35 AM
Agreed. Too many liberals here that complain about people making money.

The IOC distributes approximately 92% of Olympic marketing revenue to organizations throughout the Olympic Movement to support the staging of the Olympic Games and to promote the worldwide development of sport. The IOC retains approximately 8% of Olympic marketing revenue for the operational and administrative costs of governing the Olympic Movement

Stop being stupid.

Qwertyazerty
04-12-2012, 10:41 AM
It's amazing how stupid most of you people are. Most of you must be abysmal failures in your lives. No common sense or even minimal business acumen.

You are insulting people saying they know nothing about business yet you show your little knowledge of Olympic and its history comparing it to a business. A gold medal is a huge bonus in your CV, it may help a basketball player to enter Hall of Fame, it helps bringing sponsors, it allows NBA players to be known world wide by "FIBA only" amateurs, opening market for your merchandising, new advertisements… Teams could make a case because they give up the key players they pay millions, risking injuries, with nothing back as a reward. Players get the chance of entering sports history, not only NBA history, while representing their nation.

Derrick
04-12-2012, 10:53 AM
I understand if he was maybe speaking for like a diver, or some other lesser sport to get paid, but he's only looking out for bball players. :facepalm You're already rich how much more do you want?

donald_trump
04-12-2012, 10:54 AM
[QUOTE=Qwertyazerty]You are insulting people saying they know nothing about business yet you show your little knowledge of Olympic and its history comparing it to a business. A gold medal is a huge bonus in your CV, it may help a basketball player to enter Hall of Fame, it helps bringing sponsors, it allows NBA players to be known world wide by "FIBA only" amateurs, opening market for your merchandising, new advertisements

derb2k2
04-12-2012, 10:56 AM
I understand if he was maybe speaking for like a diver, or some other lesser sport to get paid, but he's only looking out for bball players. :facepalm You're already rich how much more do you want?

i agree, and wish Wade would never have said this. Him and Lebron are perpetually treading on water because of who they are and what they'v done. Granted Wade hasn't done much in comparison to Lebron, but they are hated men. Wade should've thought before coming out and saying this.

Qwertyazerty
04-12-2012, 10:58 AM
so why should the players not be compensated giving up time, risk of injury, etc?

Is money the only compensation possible in life???

They get recognition, increase their marketability, get the honor of representing their nation, may enter HoF thanks to olympics, can train with the best athlets of other disciplines... in addition they can say yes or not when called by the olympic coach.

do not like, do not go.

04mzwach
04-12-2012, 11:02 AM
why?

would you like to represent your country for free at your job in your holiday time?

Yes, it would be an honor. :banana:

derb2k2
04-12-2012, 11:13 AM

They get recognition, increase their marketability, get the honor of representing their nation, may enter HoF thanks to olympics, can train with the best athlets of other disciplines... in addition they can say yes or not when called by the olympic coach.

do not like, do not go.

++++:cheers:

get these NETS
04-12-2012, 11:21 AM
I think in retrospect...and especially during the lockout...

players might have looked over the books and saw just how much money SEVERAL parties made from them wanting to represent their country.

Jasper
04-12-2012, 11:37 AM
99.9 percent of players once paid , expect to be paid for everything they do...

Ever notice a autograph session when a player has the obligation to promote his team ..that player is gone as soon as the clock hits his departure time :confusedshrug:
They have more important things to do with their lives than spend time with fans and promote a country that is in the toilet , like find hookers , working on their tweeter accounts and buying cheap ferrari's.

Like any pro player they hav their charity organizations .... which they probably never visit , but get that sweet tax break as a good guy :bowdown:

get these NETS
04-12-2012, 11:45 AM
99.9 percent of players once paid , expect to be paid for everything they do...

Ever notice a autograph session when a player has the obligation to promote his team ..that player is gone as soon as the clock hits his departure time :confusedshrug:
They have more important things to do with their lives than spend time with fans and promote a country that is in the toilet , like find hookers , working on their tweeter accounts and buying cheap ferrari's.

Like any pro player they hav their charity organizations .... which they probably never visit , but get that sweet tax break as a good guy :bowdown:

and you'd be different if you were a pro athlete??

donald_trump
04-12-2012, 11:59 AM

do not like, do not go.

wade, lebron, kobe have to increase their marketability? its hardly going to do anything for these athletes already at the peak of their popularity.
it would if they got money from the jerseys at the olympics sold by them, etc.

yes. what if they are injured? going down and ending your career, you want some money. i think hardly anyone cares about the honor and bravery at that point in which they had representing their country.
as has always been the case, the people in the country have always been more loyal than the country to the people. so enough with that overrated bullshit.

and as wade said, he was asked and simply commented. no where did he say he didnt want to play because of it.

Qwertyazerty
04-12-2012, 12:08 PM
wade, lebron, kobe have to increase their marketability? its hardly going to do anything for these athletes already at the peak of their popularity.
it would if they got money from the jerseys at the olympics sold by them, etc.

yes. what if they are injured? going down and ending your career, you want some money. i think hardly anyone cares about the honor and bravery at that point in which they had representing their country.
as has always been the case, the people in the country have always been more loyal than the country to the people. so enough with that overrated bullshit.

and as wade said, he was asked and simply commented. no where did he say he didnt want to play because of it.

Till the moment, the only team success Lebron has had is in international tournaments. His most important one is 2008 Olympic gold.
That 2008 final was epic, I mean, it has been one of the most exciting games I've seen. Everybody was talking wonders about your national team and its players. I'm sure none of those huge egos would've love to be let apart of that moment. It has also been reported that, thanks to that summer cohabitation, Lebron, Wade and Bosh decided to play together... I don't know you, but I personally think that tournament gave them much more than money.

In the spanish side, people like Rubio or Fernandez were suddenly known by your country fellows and finally landed in NBA with a very decent "cach

FireMcFailPlease
04-12-2012, 12:10 PM
What a loser... stfu dwyane. we dont need your ass to capture gold anyeays

DuMa
04-12-2012, 12:12 PM
Charles Barkley said on the Dan Patrick show he disagrees with Dwyane and where he came from with the original Dream Team, they set the bar high and it should stay that way. He said players should be proud of representing their country and thats it. He also said he got something like 75k as a bonus and the recommendation was for him to donate it back into a charity of his choice. I cant say i agree with Charles. Times are a bit different now.

DaHeezy
04-12-2012, 12:14 PM
Stars using star power as leverage. What a shame

Sarcastic
04-12-2012, 12:18 PM
I hope all the people siding with Wade on this also believe that the NCAA athletes should get paid as well. If not, you're a hypocrite.

guy
04-12-2012, 12:19 PM

do not like, do not go.

The increase in marketability factor is irrelevant because they have other avenues to increase their marketability while also getting directly paid for it.

I think his main point is that a ton of money is made for the Olympics specifically off of them through endorsements and ratings. That millions of dollars is going to corporate executives that really aren't responsible for the product like the athletes themselves. Its pretty much the same argument against the NCAA.

Its easy to call him selfish by looking at what he already makes, but even if you think that, the athletes still aren't exactly getting treated fairly in the grand scheme of things. Call him unpatriotic if you want, but what does that make the people actually get the monetary gain from it? It would be one thing if alll the proceeds from the Olympics goes to charity but thats not the case.

Godzuki
04-12-2012, 12:24 PM
man all they want is more money, even when they're already making tens of millions playing a sport they love. theres just something really wrong with NBA athletes in particular and how they act so entitled, more than most other sports athletes. reminds me of lebron saying he'd do the slam dunk contest if there was a million dollar prize... how about doing it for your fans? :facepalm

DaHeezy
04-12-2012, 12:25 PM
The increase in marketability factor is irrelevant because they have other avenues to increase their marketability while also getting directly paid for it.

I think his main point is that a ton of money is made for the Olympics specifically off of them through endorsements and ratings. That millions of dollars is going to corporate executives that really aren't responsible for the product like the athletes themselves. Its pretty much the same argument against the NCAA.

Its easy to call him selfish by looking at what he already makes, but even if you think that, the athletes still aren't exactly getting treated fairly in the grand scheme of things. Call him unpatriotic if you want, but what does that make the people actually get the monetary gain from it? It would be one thing if alll the proceeds from the Olympics goes to charity but thats not the case.

Well then you can say that basketball players should recieve minimal pay because it's not the most appealing on a world wide scale. The average 100 meter runner should be banking.

guy
04-12-2012, 12:33 PM
Well then you can say that basketball players should recieve minimal pay because it's not the most appealing on a world wide scale. The average 100 meter runner should be banking.

I'm not sure if he's talking about only basketball players, but I'd imagine he believes it should be that way for all olympic athletes.

And really, I think the other Olympic Athletes should be saying this the most cause they obviously don't make much in comparison to NBA players.

Sarcastic
04-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Olympics is a choice. No one forces you to go, and it's only once every 4 years.

NCAA is actually forced upon the athletes where they have to play for free.

DaHeezy
04-12-2012, 12:36 PM
I'm not sure if he's talking about only basketball players, but I'd imagine he believes it should be that way for all olympic athletes.

That's what I mean. if Olympic athletes get paid, just like in any occupation, the ones that are in the most demand should get the highest paycheck.
This is what makes his statement a little more intolerable, because you wouldn't see a star 100m track athlete make this statement, despite being the most coveted Olympic event.

donald_trump
04-12-2012, 12:55 PM
What a loser... stfu dwyane. we dont need your ass to capture gold anyeays

comments like this are the funniest. :oldlol:

did you watch the final in 2008? this comment couldnt be more false. best player in the final, and if it wasnt for his scoring in the 2nd, no one else would have.

donald_trump
04-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Olympics is a choice. No one forces you to go, and it's only once every 4 years.

they dont play for free. they are given an eduction worth hundreds of thousands in some cases.

FireMcFailPlease
04-12-2012, 01:27 PM

uh brandon jennings disagrees...

FireMcFailPlease
04-12-2012, 01:28 PM
comments like this are the funniest. :oldlol:

did you watch the final in 2008? this comment couldnt be more false. best player in the final, and if it wasnt for his scoring in the 2nd, no one else would have.
was kevin durant on the 2008 team?

SFMF
04-12-2012, 01:32 PM
I didn't read others' posts, but that's retarded, I'm sure there are plenty more NBA players who are good enough and humble enough to be part of their country's olympics team. He might be rational, but let's not do the math when other players in the past have done the same and had no problem with it. I wouldn't even think of this kinda situation if I was DWADE even if I was asked. Focus on your damn goal: winning 8 championships like your teammate has promised.

Chaddai
04-12-2012, 01:50 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/DwyaneWade

[QUOTE] I responded 2 a specific question asked by a reporter on my thoughts of Olympians being paid. I never asked to be paid to PLAY.

What I was referencing is there is a lot of Olympic business that happens that athletes are not a part of - and it

NumberSix
04-12-2012, 02:18 PM
they dont play for free. they are given an eduction worth hundreds of thousands in some cases.
Oh, so can I hire you and then pay you with something you don't want? How about piano lesson? Yeah. I'll hire you to repave my driveway and pay you in that amount worth of piano lessons that you don't want. After that, you can cut my grass for fifty dollars worth of oranges.

I<3NBA
04-12-2012, 03:01 PM
reminds me of lebron saying he'd do the slam dunk contest if there was a million dollar prize... how about doing it for your fans? :facepalm
do you hear singers just doing a concert for free just "for the fans?" how about actors? do they make movies for free just "for their fans?" GTFOH. i'd like to know what your job is and tell you that since i'm such a big fan, you should do it for free.

305Baller
04-12-2012, 03:19 PM
cmon guys, he was talking about jersey sales. If the sales go to the olympic program that's fine but if there is profit to be made and your name is on the jersey, it makes at least some sense....

Godzuki
04-12-2012, 03:28 PM
do you hear singers just doing a concert for free just "for the fans?" how about actors? do they make movies for free just "for their fans?" GTFOH. i'd like to know what your job is and tell you that since i'm such a big fan, you should do it for free.

musicians do play free concerts, especially for charity. pretty sure many of them have played for free for some cause. you may have a point about actors or most regular people but we're not all making a living as well paid athlete role models either....with as much free time as they have off season. most of us are still working our 9 to 5's year round...

its an honor to play in the olympics, to earn a gold, and there are tons of other sports athletes that are honored to do it without getting paid. some of them train their whole lives for it. and then you have some NBA players talking about how they want to get paid for doing it is just sad :facepalm

most people and mainstream media probably won't ever read this but if it did get publicized like that, i bet there would be a huge backlash of them even saying it....

Godzuki
04-12-2012, 03:30 PM
cmon guys, he was talking about jersey sales. If the sales go to the olympic program that's fine but if there is profit to be made and your name is on the jersey, it makes at least some sense....

ah i didn't read the article.... i gotta admit i was disappointed in Wade for saying that since i liked Wade, but i can't blame him for it if thats what he was talking about.

D-Wade316
04-12-2012, 03:36 PM
BUT my love 4 the game & pride 4 USA motivates me more than any $$$ amount. I repped my country in 2004 when we won the bronze medal and stood proudly to receive our gold medal in 2008 in Beijing. It’s always been an honor for me to be a part of the USA Olympic family and I’m looking forward to doing it again in London this summer.

Undisputed
04-12-2012, 03:54 PM
Wade: Ahh Crap, that just slipped out of my mouth. What should I do now LeBron?

LeBron: Dude, you're not making my situation any better with that comment.
Thats pretty funny.

kaiteng
04-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Sounds like Wade secretly got paid in college too...... oh wait.

NumberSix
04-12-2012, 04:46 PM
musicians do play free concerts, especially for charity.
Yes, but no musician does a free show just so the promoters and advertisers can keep all the money.

What I'm basically hearing here is that, for some reason, sports fans are demanding that absolutely EVERY single dollar generated by the athlete's performing MUST go to Coca-cola, NBC, Nike and McDonald's.

Sarcastic
04-12-2012, 04:51 PM
Yes, but no musician does a free show just so the promoters and advertisers can keep all the money.

What I'm basically hearing here is that, for some reason, sports fans are demanding that absolutely EVERY single dollar generated by the athlete's performing MUST go to Coca-cola, NBC, Nike and McDonald's.

They shouldn't put the names on the jerseys. Just the number.

DKLaker
04-12-2012, 05:25 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/7801502/nba-olympians-compensated

Why would you say this out loud even if you think it? :facepalm

WOW......people like to bash Kobe but Kobe is only thinking about the USA and winning. I would be embarrassed if he was being a greedy idiot like that.

IMO, as long as their insurance and all costs are covered they should be happy.
Where does the greed end??? I just heard D-Rose just signed a shoe deal for $250 million.....just for wearing the freaking shoes.......yet you got idiots acting like they're broke and need lunch money :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm D-rose is NOT one of them.
If Allen and Wade want money they can just stay the Fk home, we don't need them....Man, I used to respect Wade but now i see he's just a little B!tch....this and All Star Butt-Hurt hack on Kobe. Lost all his cred.

DKLaker
04-12-2012, 05:27 PM

And they are not already multi millionaires. :cheers:

Is He Ill
04-12-2012, 05:32 PM
why?

If I make millions upon millions of dollars anyway, why not? It's a great experience.

Lebron23
04-12-2012, 05:36 PM
He already won an Olympic Gold Medal. Wade just needs to rest and relax in the off season. He was the leading scorer in the 2008 Olympics. LBJ and Bosh will represent the Heat in the 2012 Olympics.

NumberSix
04-12-2012, 05:38 PM
WOW......people like to bash Kobe but Kobe is only thinking about the USA and winning. I would be embarrassed if he was being a greedy idiot like that.
You're missing the entire point. It's not that they want money. It's that the money is already there, it's just going to someone else who probably doesn't deserve it.

It's like a hooker selling sex. Her having sex makes money, and she's not getting the money, but that's not even the problem. It the guy who's not even doing anything that's putting the money in his pocket.

If it's all about country and winning, why are all these other greedy people stuffing their pockets while the athletes are playing for free?

It's like, if you're gonna use the olympics to milk all this money out of people than you're greedy ass isn't just keeping it all. Give the athletes something. Either that, or don't milk it in the first place and just let it be about the countries and competition.

Godzuki
04-12-2012, 06:50 PM

doesn't it get reinvested into the olympic program? i'd think most of the money they make, including advertising money and tv deals, goes towards running those huge events and their training facilities/upkeep. i mean i'm sure a lot of it might be pocketed by crooked olympic committee members but still...

donald_trump
04-12-2012, 08:23 PM
Oh, so can I hire you and then pay you with something you don't want? How about piano lesson? Yeah. I'll hire you to repave my driveway and pay you in that amount worth of piano lessons that you don't want. After that, you can cut my grass for fifty dollars worth of oranges.

they have options, and they choose it. they can go straight to the euroleague or any other basketball competition. they choose to. so clearly they are not getting compensation with something they dont want.