PDA

View Full Version : Is Jeremy Lin the most educated player ever in the NBA?

DaHeezy
02-17-2012, 12:58 PM
Harvard grad? Most possibly. There are players who've come from ivy league, but I guess it all depends on what your majors are/were. It'd be interesting if someone could research this.

CarlosBoozer
02-17-2012, 01:01 PM
Landry Fields is from Stanford :D

stallionaire
02-17-2012, 01:07 PM
Derek Fisher still gets my vote for the smartest cat in the league. Love his role with the NBA's labor union.

Very inspiring.

Inactive
02-17-2012, 01:08 PM
Bill Bradley.

Sarcastic
02-17-2012, 01:09 PM
Bill Bradley went to Princeton, and got his Masters from Oxford.

ImmortalD24
02-17-2012, 01:12 PM
This

BlueandGold
02-17-2012, 01:12 PM
Define educated. There are various people who are incredibly brilliant and well-read yet have little to no former education whatsoever. William Faulkner for example, one of the greatest American writers of all time, won multiple pulitizers and nobel prizes in literature yet never got past the 10th grade.

If your speaking about formerly educated NBA players than that too can be relative and subjective since formal education depends on the number of degrees earned, and most NBA players leave college without their diploma, something I'm not sure if Lin did or not. Either way from the number of years he spent in college the most he could have would be a B.A, which from harvard is commendable but not as advanced as a Masters degree that other NBA players may have earned.

Then yes there would be a player who is more educated than Lin, any player with his Masters would technically be more formally educated.

ImmortalD24
02-17-2012, 01:18 PM
BTW, Lin's GPA was a 3.1 (barely above the minimum).

noob cake
02-17-2012, 01:27 PM
Or Duke or Stanford 4 year players using your standards.

Obviously, there are players NBA players with graduate degrees.

caesarspoke
02-17-2012, 01:28 PM
Pretty sure Dr. J had a doctorate degree is medicine or something.

La Frescobaldi
02-17-2012, 01:29 PM
Define educated. There are various people who are incredibly brilliant and well-read yet have little to no former education whatsoever. William Faulkner for example, one of the greatest American writers of all time, won multiple pulitizers and nobel prizes in literature yet never got past the 10th grade.

If your speaking about formerly educated NBA players than that too can be relative and subjective since formal education depends on the number of degrees earned, and most NBA players leave college without their diploma, something I'm not sure if Lin did or not. Either way from the number of years he spent in college the most he could have would be a B.A, which from harvard is commendable but not as advanced as a Masters degree that other NBA players may have earned.

Then yes there would be a player who is more educated than Lin, any player with his Masters would technically be more formally educated.

been a lot of guys with Masters and Ph.D.

As far as I know none have been at the level of Bradley, who is a Rhodes Scholar

IGOTGAME
02-17-2012, 01:31 PM

he still got in...the hardest thing is to get into Harvard, once you are there they give everyone at least a B in almost every major. I would imagine a 3.1 is bottom 25%, but it is bottom 25% of a very elite pool. Still don't know if it is more impressive than a top GPA in an extremely hard major from another good school though(I would actually think not).

noob cake
02-17-2012, 01:34 PM
he still got in...the hardest thing is to get into Harvard, once you are there they give everyone at least a B in almost every major. I would imagine a 3.1 is bottom 25%, but it is bottom 25% of a very elite pool. Still don't know if it is more impressive than a top GPA in an extremely hard major from another good school though(I would actually think not).

I'm sure Lin was a pretty decent student in HS, but being a high level athlete helps you get into college.

Lets look at all the players who got into Duke, Stanford and to a lesser degree Georgetown, Michigan, UNC and UCLA. 95% of their recruits would not have gotten in without basketball.

tontoz
02-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Rhodes scholar FTW

IGOTGAME
02-17-2012, 01:35 PM
I'm sure Lin was a pretty decent student in HS, but being a high level athlete helps you get into college.

he was a really student in high school. Had a 4.2. Not sure if it was weighted or not though.

Guy is smart though, you can tell by how he handles the media. Very composed.

Jon_Koncak
02-17-2012, 01:39 PM
Roger Mason JR is an architect and has built his own house.Architecture degree>>>>>>>>some economic degree

(e)
02-17-2012, 01:39 PM

This is a load of bullshit. A BA from Havard is going to get you further than a Masters from a lot of other universities in the United States.

In my case (finance), a Masters really won't do a damn thing for you, unless it's from a place like Harvard.

WeGetRing2012
02-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Just of the top of my head

David Robinson

Robinson scored a 1320 on the SAT, and he chose to go to the U.S. Naval Academy, where he majored in mathematics.

And Kareem and Hakeem Olajuwon

noob cake
02-17-2012, 01:46 PM
Just of the top of my head

David Robinson

And Kareem and Hakeem Olajuwon

Good score but not impressive. You need a 1500/1600+ to be competitive for a top private school without a hook.

IGOTGAME
02-17-2012, 01:52 PM
Emeka Okafor pulled a 3.8 in Finance from UCONN. That is pretty tough.

Matt Bonner pulled a 3.96 in business from Florida. Another good school.

It comes down to what you think is more impressive, actually getting into Harvard at 17 or actually excelling at a high level.

Right now, employers are mixed...especially in my field.The 3.96 would be the most impressive thought. Top kids from state schools beat out Harvard grads all the time in similar situations. Top 10% at good state school vs. bottom 25% at Ivy...seems top 10% usually places better.

WillC
02-17-2012, 01:53 PM
Bill Bradley.

He went to the same University as me (Oxford) on a Rhodes Scholarship.

Balla_Status
02-17-2012, 01:54 PM
Talk about overrating Harvard.

rodman91
02-17-2012, 01:58 PM
Lin might be educated in economics. But Grant Hill show signs of being an educated person.:applause:

HighFlyer23
02-17-2012, 01:58 PM
pau gasol got accepted to med school apparently

med school > all

same with this scrub

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Henderson

Hammertime
02-17-2012, 02:03 PM
Kiki Vandeweghe's dad Ernie actually went to med school. That's why he quit the NBA at 25. He became an Army doctor later, married a Miss USA and had a son who was an NBA All-Star and a coach.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/882/39551183.png

get these NETS
02-17-2012, 02:20 PM
Good score but not impressive. You need a 1500/1600+ to be competitive for a top private school without a hook.

grading and difficulty of the SAT has changed at least twice since Admiral took the test.

That score probably put him in as high a percentile as a higher score taken by student from 15, 10 or 5 years ago.

When people were discussing George W. Bush's scores....this was never brought up.

Shaq had a book where he was (fake) praising Kobe..and he brought up the fact that Kobe's SAT score was higher than Chris Dudley's...and nobody pointed out to him that you can't compare test score from 96 to early to mid 80s

people are only aware of 3 ivy league schools but couple of players from penn have gone into the league....and actor duane martin (white men can't jump, above the rim) was a star player at columbia and was cut in camp by the Knicks

stanford is one of the top schools in the country, top ranked academics division 1 sports best of both worlds

duke...??? safety school

Bigsmoke
02-17-2012, 02:22 PM
i heard emeka okafor is smart

heyhey
02-17-2012, 02:27 PM
Talk about overrating Harvard.

Getting into Harvard prolly one of the hardest thing to do statistically speaking when it comes to education.

And unlike Stanford Harvard doesn't even give athletic scholarships

gyu
02-17-2012, 02:29 PM
I think Shaq has his doctorate, I wonder how much he paid for that

FireDavidKahn
02-17-2012, 02:31 PM
he was a really student in high school. Had a 4.2. Not sure if it was weighted or not though.

Guy is smart though, you can tell by how he handles the media. Very composed.
How do you get above an A+ in high school? Or is an A+ more than a 4.0 in California?:confusedshrug:

Droid101
02-17-2012, 02:32 PM
He has a useless finance degree.

Call me back when they get a good degree, like engineering or biology or something.

FireDavidKahn
02-17-2012, 02:32 PM
This is a load of bullshit. A BA from Havard is going to get you further than a Masters from a lot of other universities in the United States.

In my case (finance), a Masters really won't do a damn thing for you, unless it's from a place like Harvard.
Huh? Isn't a Masters in finance a prerequisite towards getting a CPA (if you're going that route)?

CPA's make good money

gyu
02-17-2012, 02:36 PM

Call me back when they get a good degree, like engineering or biology or something.
Where I'm from, a biology degree doesn't do much for you unless you pursue graduate studies.

Continuing from my previous post, actually I think Shaq has a masters, still I wonder how much he paid for that. Can't imagine Shaq actually earning his masters or doctorate legit, actually I have a hard time he even graduated from College

Dave3
02-17-2012, 02:36 PM
What? It was out of 1600...how can you score 1600+?

heyhey
02-17-2012, 02:37 PM
Huh? Isn't a Masters in finance a prerequisite towards getting a CPA (if you're going that route)?

CPA's make good money

ppl from Harvard usually have sight a lot higher than CPA. Most work on wall street

IGOTGAME
02-17-2012, 02:39 PM
ppl from Harvard usually have sight a lot higher than CPA. Most work on wall street

I know Harvard/Penn(track guy)/Yale unemployed dudes or went back to school because don't like options...think your idea of ivy league outcomes are a little skewed. Most do well but not the bottom of the class a lot of times. 3.1 is bottom 10-25%. Guy just isn't walking onto Wall Street if he wasn't a star bball player at Harvard.(they would take him though for the corporate bball team).

Dave3
02-17-2012, 02:43 PM

You ask what is education, then you talk about intelligence. Education is knowledge, not intelligence. You know more than someone about something, you're more educated than them. Generally asking who's more educated implies educational level, ie: bachelors, masters, and doctorate degrees. Technically GPA does matter too, because if you have a 4.0 in something vs. a 2.7, the guy with a 4.0 knows more about their field of study.

Pau Gasol isn't more educated than someone who's done 3 years of college, because he only did 1 year of medical school, and in a lot of other countries, medical school is right out of high school, without needing 4 years of college. He then learned less in his 1 year than an average college student will in 2 or 3+ years.

clayton
02-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Not only is Harvard and Lin himself are overrated, even his degree is overrated. :roll:

Court Vision
02-17-2012, 02:45 PM

Minimum? What minimum?

heyhey
02-17-2012, 02:52 PM
I know Harvard/Penn(track guy)/Yale unemployed dudes or went back to school because don't like options...think your idea of ivy league outcomes are a little skewed. Most do well but not the bottom of the class a lot of times. 3.1 is bottom 10-25%. Guy just isn't walking onto Wall Street if he wasn't a star bball player at Harvard.(they would take him though for the corporate bball team).

Well I'm not in the ivys so I dunno about their grading curve but I kno from friends and family that basically all top firms recruit at harvard. If u r average pr even alil below and call talk and walk at the same time u r in good shape. Alumni connections huge.
And if u r athlete lol even easier

Kevin_Gamble
02-17-2012, 03:06 PM

You mean, the Harvard finance degree that would've gotten him a job as a hedge fund manager and get half a million per year?

Kevin_Gamble
02-17-2012, 03:07 PM
You ask what is education, then you talk about intelligence. Education is knowledge, not intelligence. You know more than someone about something, you're more educated than them. Generally asking who's more educated implies educational level, ie: bachelors, masters, and doctorate degrees. Technically GPA does matter too, because if you have a 4.0 in something vs. a 2.7, the guy with a 4.0 knows more about their field of study.

Pau Gasol isn't more educated than someone who's done 3 years of college, because he only did 1 year of medical school, and in a lot of other countries, medical school is right out of high school, without needing 4 years of college. He then learned less in his 1 year than an average college student will in 2 or 3+ years.

Yeah but in a lot of other countries, their high school diploma allows them to skip two years of college in the U.S.

Dave3
02-17-2012, 03:22 PM
Yeah but in a lot of other countries, their high school diploma allows them to skip two years of college in the U.S.
Didn't know about that. That's weird though because college is much more specialized, so it's not like you learn the first two years of every possible undergraduate subject of college right? So how does that work?

DRose1899
02-17-2012, 03:26 PM
I must say this tho, he spoke really WELL in front of camera even though he just suddenly brought into highlight, u can't do that without being smart.

nycelt84
02-17-2012, 03:27 PM
Bill Bradley, Ernie Vandeweghe, or Jack Nichols.

Kevin_Gamble
02-17-2012, 03:27 PM
Didn't know about that. That's weird though because college is much more specialized, so it's not like you learn the first two years of every possible undergraduate subject of college right? So how does that work?

Not the first two years, though, which are spent for general and remedial education. That's partly why in the U.S. you go to medical school or law school after college. Another part is that in Europe high schools are much more specialized in the sense that they separate college bound kids and put them in advanced schools, whereas education is more democratic in the U.S.

DukeDelonte13
02-17-2012, 03:29 PM
shaq's MBA from the university of phoenix makes him more educated than Lin's harvard undergrad degree.

gyu
02-17-2012, 03:31 PM
shaq's MBA from the university of phoenix makes him more educated than Lin's harvard undergrad degree.
I'm sure paid someone off for it, Shaq does not come off educated or intelligent at all.

xcesswee
02-17-2012, 03:35 PM

Too bad that degree is the equivalent of an associates degree lol.

GOBB
02-17-2012, 03:36 PM
I'm sure paid someone off for it, Shaq does not come off educated or intelligent at all.

Hater alert

InfiniteBaskets
02-17-2012, 03:48 PM
How do you get above an A+ in high school? Or is an A+ more than a 4.0 in California?:confusedshrug:

My high school allowed you get above 4.0 if you took an AP course. So an A- in an AP course was 4.0, A was 4.2 and A+ was 4.4. To be honest though, it's not really a fair way of averaging GPA because the 'average' college course of say a state university is a breeze for someone who's primed to attend an Ivy league school. So it essentially if two students were similarly smart, but one's high school offered plenty of AP courses, they'd have an edge in GPA.

FireDavidKahn
02-17-2012, 04:44 PM
My high school allowed you get above 4.0 if you took an AP course. So an A- in an AP course was 4.0, A was 4.2 and A+ was 4.4. To be honest though, it's not really a fair way of averaging GPA because the 'average' college course of say a state university is a breeze for someone who's primed to attend an Ivy league school. So it essentially if two students were similarly smart, but one's high school offered plenty of AP courses, they'd have an edge in GPA.
Interesting, I went the route of post secondary enrollment education in high school rather than AP or IB.

Dave3
02-17-2012, 04:45 PM
Not the first two years, though, which are spent for general and remedial education. That's partly why in the U.S. you go to medical school or law school after college. Another part is that in Europe high schools are much more specialized in the sense that they separate college bound kids and put them in advanced schools, whereas education is more democratic in the U.S.
No, but you're still specialized in college. Ie: a business major is going to do a bunch of math, accounting, and marketing courses, whereas a biology major will do biology, chemistry, microbiology, anatomy, etc.

LA_Showtime
02-17-2012, 05:46 PM

A 3.1 as a student-athlete at Harvard's pretty damn impressive. People don't realize just how much time goes into practice, game preparation, traveling, etc.

yanix
02-17-2012, 06:21 PM
Danny Granger scored 30 on the ACT
he was offered in Yale on Civil Engineering

fyi, Civil Engineering is 10times harder than Economic and Maths, and that's not even close

WhySoInsecure?
02-17-2012, 06:35 PM

fyi, Civil Engineering is 10times harder than Economic and Maths, and that's not even close
Civil Engineering is actually one of the easiest engineering majors and idk about it being any harder than math. (both of my parents have MS in Civil, I'm doing Math/CS)

LA_Showtime
02-17-2012, 06:39 PM

I don't know about that. Upper-level economics and math classes are very difficult.

Droid101
02-17-2012, 06:42 PM
You mean, the Harvard finance degree that would've gotten him a job as a hedge fund manager and get half a million per year?
Big whoop. A degree whose only purpose is to make money.

Whereas becoming a doctor, engineer, or something useful to society could get him money AND further our civilization.

All these people getting degrees just so they can go find ways to move money around are making me sick. America will not survive if all our greatest minds waste away moving around green pieces of paper.

heyhey
02-17-2012, 06:44 PM

Is this a joke? Civil engineerings got nothing on math. It's the engineering program wit most girls for reason

WhySoInsecure?
02-17-2012, 06:51 PM
Big whoop. A degree whose only purpose is to make money.

Whereas becoming a doctor, engineer, or something useful to society could get him money AND further our civilization.

All these people getting degrees just so they can go find ways to move money around are making me sick. America will not survive if all our greatest minds waste away moving around green pieces of paper.
Hate to break it to you but the world would not function without financial institutions.
Without loans and investments all those doctors would have to operate on their living room couches with their kitchen knife sets.

And the engineers wouldn't be designing anything because there wouldn't be anyone to cover the costs.

Businesses need the ability to borrow.

WeGetRing2012
02-17-2012, 06:57 PM

Honors & AP classes

imdaman99
02-17-2012, 07:04 PM
OMG OMG MSG IS BACK FOR TIME WARNER!!!!!!!!!!! HOLY SHIT TIME FOR A CELEBRATION :banana:

LIN IN HD HERE WE COME <3

:lol i was watchin nbatv which is what replaced msg for me here... and all of a sudden i see womens track. im like wtf nbatv... and than i see an MSG logo at the bottom right :oldlol:

Alamo
02-17-2012, 07:09 PM

Ha!

CLTHornets4eva
02-17-2012, 07:18 PM

Lets look at all the players who got into Duke, Stanford and to a lesser degree Georgetown, Michigan, UNC and UCLA. 95% of their recruits would not have gotten in without basketball.

This.:applause:

Good acomplishment to get in, but it really only adds to his hype.

sundizz
02-17-2012, 07:40 PM
This.:applause:

Good acomplishment to get in, but it really only adds to his hype.

It doesn't work like that in the Silicon Valley. Those high schools (I lived in that area) are more difficult than college. He obviously took advanced and honors classes. Additionally, he got a perfect score of the SAT 2 MATH C levels...extremely hard to do. He got in because he was academically qualified to be a Harvard student.

Droid101
02-17-2012, 07:45 PM
Hate to break it to you but the world would not function without financial institutions.
Without loans and investments all those doctors would have to operate on their living room couches with their kitchen knife sets.

And the engineers wouldn't be designing anything because there wouldn't be anyone to cover the costs.

Bullshit. There are more people than ever going to get finance degrees today than any point in history. Yet in the past we've had tons of technological and scientific advances.

What I'm saying is, that in 10 years, we're going to start seeing the effects of this. There will be too many "money pushers" around and not enough innovators.

Who is going to borrow all that money when the only people who exist are the ones there to lend it?

Free your mind.

Teanett
02-17-2012, 08:06 PM
there's only one bill bradley.

WhySoInsecure?
02-17-2012, 08:26 PM
Bullshit. There are more people than ever going to get finance degrees today than any point in history. Yet in the past we've had tons of technological and scientific advances.

What I'm saying is, that in 10 years, we're going to start seeing the effects of this. There will be too many "money pushers" around and not enough innovators.

Who is going to borrow all that money when the only people who exist are the ones there to lend it?

Free your mind.
There's more people getting a college education in general.

I have plenty of friends who started out as engineering majors but switched to business/accounting because they couldn't handle the coursework. Now they're partying their way through college and have a GPA that rivals mine. A bunch of them graduated last year and still can't find a legit job.

Nothing is going to change over the next 10 years. A ton of people are reconsidering finance related majors due to the economy.

Our country won't go down the grain because of finance majors. We're falling behind because of our educational system. We teach kids how to pass exams instead of focusing on critical thinking and problem solving.

There is no innovation without investors. There's a VC behind every start-up. Our biggest strength is capital, unlike other countries we have people who are willing to throw money at ideas.

Balla_Status
02-19-2012, 09:56 PM
Civil Engineering is actually one of the easiest engineering majors and idk about it being any harder than math. (both of my parents have MS in Civil, I'm doing Math/CS)

It's harder than Math. Computer Science is about the same on civil engineering.

Engineering at a public school like Texas A&M, UT or Berkeley is more impressive than an economics or a business degree at Harvard.

Balla_Status
02-19-2012, 09:57 PM

Engineers can do math. They can do the job finance majors do.

keepinitreal
02-19-2012, 10:03 PM
Getting into Harvard prolly one of the hardest thing to do statistically speaking when it comes to education.

And unlike Stanford Harvard doesn't even give athletic scholarships

Okay, this 3.1 gpa bachelors (undergrad) in econ from Harvard is really overrated.

Getting into ANY fully accredited MD/DO program, dental school (DDS or DMD), pharmacy school (PharmD), veterinarian school (DVM) > Harvard economics undergrad. Harvard Law school? Different story. But undergrad? meh.

Balla_Status
02-19-2012, 10:04 PM
There's more people getting a college education in general.

I have plenty of friends who started out as engineering majors but switched to business/accounting because they couldn't handle the coursework. Now they're partying their way through college and have a GPA that rivals mine. A bunch of them graduated last year and still can't find a legit job.

Nothing is going to change over the next 10 years. A ton of people are reconsidering finance related majors due to the economy.

Our country won't go down the grain because of finance majors. We're falling behind because of our educational system. We teach kids how to pass exams instead of focusing on critical thinking and problem solving.

There is no innovation without investors. There's a VC behind every start-up. Our biggest strength is capital, unlike other countries we have people who are willing to throw money at ideas.

There's definitely a mutual relationship. Mark Zuckerberg is a great example.

And what's sad about engineering majors switching out is that they know the job prospects are much better. But they still complain anyways. You just gotta stick with it and have fun when you can. I had a job locked up 6 months out from graduation and I'm fully supporting myself. That can't be said for well over 50% of students my age.

Not only that, there's so many world challenges out there that require technological backgrounds. 30-40 years ago liberal arts were the degrees today...in 2012 I'm sorry but they don't have much of a place anymore. All these liberal hippies wanna bitch about global warming but don't want to get the technical backgrounds to attempt to solve it.