PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan's letter to Dwight Howard.

Faptastrophe
02-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Big Brother: Dear Dwight
A letter from Tim Duncan to Dwight Howard.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/dwight_howard_tim_duncan.jpg

Dear Dwight (http://slam.sportsdirectinc.com/basketball/nba-players.aspx?page=/data/nba/players/player671764.html),

It’s me, Timmy (http://slam.sportsdirectinc.com/basketball/nba-players.aspx?page=/data/nba/players/player538222.html) (it’s OK get the South Park jokes out now). I don’t talk much publicly, but I do greatly enjoy crafting handwritten letters. However, I don’t know your address and you may not even live in the same city by the time I finish so I’ll just type an email. We bigs have to stick together. Most of the media has forgotten me and embraced you as the NBA’s best big man but that’s OK. Anyways, I’ve been following your celebrity trade demands through the media. You’ve been more of a diva than Aretha Franklin making lunch demands on tour with the Supremes. However, that’s part of your problem. You should follow my example. I played four years of college ball while you came straight from high school. The simple truth is that I could teach you some things.

You could have been remembered differently than these other superstars that were more worried about their Q-rating and endorsement dollars than their ring totals. Orlando is a great franchise and a classy organization. But you should know that forming a championship nucleus is like dating on E-Harmony. Sometimes you meet in person and find out the profile photo your date used was taken 20 years ago.

Eleven years ago, I nearly flew to Florida so I could sign with the Orlando Magic (http://slam.sportsdirectinc.com/basketball/nba-teams.aspx?page=/data/nba/teams/team404013.html). To a kid from St. Croix playing in San Antonio (http://slam.sportsdirectinc.com/basketball/nba-teams.aspx?page=/data/nba/teams/team404302.html), Orlando was a major market. I guess we can agree to disagree on that point. I didn’t think David and I could win another title together because he was getting older and I was in my prime. I was supposed to be the final piece in deadly trio with Grant Hill and Tracy McGrady in addition to two lesser known players named Chauncey Billups and Ben Wallace. This was before Tracy became a perennial All-Star and future scoring champ. Unfortunately, Grant’s ankles forced him to sit out 235 games over a five year span and he was never the same again. T-Mac and Hill never won a playoff series together while I won three more titles by staying in San Antonio.

You need a mentor. A slightly smaller Big Brother— if you will. As you may know, I learned from a true professional in David Robinson. Robinson was in a position much like you are now. After spending two years in the Navy after his college basketball career ended, Robinson could have chosen to become a free agent (http://www.nytimes.com/1987/05/18/sports/sports-of-the-times-the-robinson-plot-thickens.html) and play in Los Angeles with Magic or Chicago with Jordan. Instead, he honored his commitment to the Spurs. He spent nine seasons with San Antonio before we won an NBA championship together. We eventually won two and he’s hailed as a hero throughout Texas. He taught me everything including how to handle the NBA life, how to play the position and even which shaving gel to use. On the floor we played with military precision and discipline. You can thank Coach Pop for that.

You’ve never had these things, Dwight. You clown on Stan Van Gundy in the media (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4EXqADcGd4)and call out your teammates (http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2012/01/dwight-howard-calls-out-teammates-to-change.html), but people are beginning to stop taking you seriously. You’re too good for that. You’re a blend of David and Hakeem “The Dream”. I’ve never watched Saturday Night Live but how you’ve never hosted it is beyond me. You don’t have to act like Charles Barkley for attention, though. I remember when you first came into the NBA. Tim Tebow reminds me of a young Dwight that had his head on his shoulders and had the Ten Commandments by his side (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1769153). Somewhere along the road, you lost your way and ended up with a baby mama on Vh1.

I think you wanted Shaquille O’Neal to pass the cape along to you and be the Jor-El to your Superman. Unfortunately, it never happened. Instead, you two have been fighting like General Zod and Kal-El (I thought you’d appreciate the DC Comics references). Whether you realize it or not, you’re following in almost the exact same footsteps as Shaq and you’re also turning into him. After the immature way he’s behaved towards you and the melodramas Shaq has been a part of, do you really want that to be your legacy? Or do you want to be remembered as me and David will be? I want to pass the torch down to you Dwight as the Elder Statesmen of Big Men.

Life is cyclical. I’m getting older and averaging career lows in points, rebounds and minutes. However, last season we were the West’s No. 1 seed and despite Manu playing only 13 minutes of basketball this month we are currently first in the Southwest. You see, I was never a DC Comics guy but I do love Terminator. I’m like a T-800 cyborg and San Antonio is my Sky-Net. All we do is win down here without all the glitz, glamor or drama. Winning the dunk contest has its perks but winning NBA championships promises immortality.

I’ll likely be signing a more cap-friendly deal in the off-season and you’re the premiere defensive player in the game. Gregg Popovich is the best defensive coach in the League. You should come to San Antonio. Tony Parker told me to ask you, “Comment

Derka
02-03-2012, 10:36 PM
Not gonna lie, Dwight on San Antonio...

That could be scary. San Antonio gets so much out of its non-superstars, precisely the opposite of what happens in Orlando.

TheAesirsFinest
02-03-2012, 10:36 PM
That was a great read. Duncan tutoring Dwight :bowdown:

This would be a very nice turn of events.

TaLvsCuaL
02-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Howard-Duncan, and Splitter-Blair of the bench :rockon:

HEAT111
02-03-2012, 10:40 PM
So, at the sametime he would rather have him build his legacy the professional way but if he were to make a decision, "go to the Spurs". Contradictive there on Timmy.

Apogee
02-03-2012, 10:42 PM
Tim is classy

ChandlerParsons
02-03-2012, 10:43 PM
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd286/snakemaster9/downloader.gif
nvm now I did

DevilsAssassin
02-03-2012, 10:44 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/154/912/berneydidnotread.gif

kNIOKAS
02-03-2012, 10:45 PM
:eek: :wtf:
Is it really by Tim Duncan?

GOBB
02-03-2012, 10:48 PM
I was supposed to be the final piece in deadly trio with Grant Hill and Tracy McGrady in addition to two lesser known players named Chauncey Billups and Ben Wallace.

I know Tmac/Hill was possible. Was these other two? I dont remember that.

ProfessorMurder
02-03-2012, 10:48 PM
Dwight should listen. Even if Duncan can't hand around for a few more years, the front office always makes great moves.

MichaelCheazley
02-03-2012, 10:51 PM
LOL Is that actually a letter from Duncan? He calls out shaq,VC,arenas and says alot of stuff that seem out of character. Regardless I think it could be good for dwight.
interesting proposal by MR. Duncan.

Edit:Upon further review its clearly done by an author. Makes sense.

SCdac
:eek: :wtf:
Is it really by Tim Duncan?

No lol... it's not

It was kind of cool, and I agree with overall idea of Dwight coming to SA, but it doesn't really read/sound like Duncan. I picture a letter like this coming off as more dry, intelligent.. and not so kiddish... but hey, it IS Slam.

wang4three
If you click on the link, it has an author. Tim Duncan didn't write it.

Alamo
02-03-2012, 10:52 PM
Lmao that was epic. Funniest thing I've seen or read today. Thanks for posting this :cheers:

ILLsmak
02-03-2012, 10:53 PM

Yeaaaah, just getting ready to say that.

I was going to be like, "Now would be a good time to remind everyone that this is not really written by Tim Duncan."

-Smak

KOBEtherealKing
02-03-2012, 10:56 PM
This letter is as bad as dan gilberts, gtfo

Faptastrophe
02-03-2012, 11:06 PM
And here I thought it was obvious :D But what the hell... it's so much better when at first you think it's real. :rolleyes:

ThaRegul8r
02-03-2012, 11:32 PM

And here I thought it was obvious :D

It was. I'll just leave it at that.

FindingTim
02-04-2012, 12:50 AM
[CENTER][SIZE="3"]
Eleven years ago, I nearly flew to Florida so I could sign with the Orlando Magic (http://slam.sportsdirectinc.com/basketball/nba-teams.aspx?page=/data/nba/teams/team404013.html). [B]I was supposed to be the final piece in deadly trio with Grant Hill and Tracy McGrady in addition to two lesser known players named Chauncey Billups and Ben Wallace. [/URL]

you have to wonder, would this lineup be the best team of all-time? I think so.

Chauncey Billups
Tracy McGrady
Grant Hill
Tim Duncan
Ben Wallace

unstoppable.

Jasper
02-04-2012, 01:02 AM
http://www.slamonline.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/dwight_howard_tim_duncan.jpg

"Hi my name is Tim Duncan the best PF that ever played the game. "

" Your that pip squeak mighty mouse center that smiles running down the court and never taking games seriously"

Howard : " I learnt moves from the Dream , now I can shake and bake and call my own shoots, to get major endorsements"

Duncan : " I was thinking of passing the Spurs onto you , if you came on board , but Pop doesn't like wise a$$ smileee' faces on our hard working team , so we pass "

Wonder Bread Kid
02-04-2012, 01:11 AM

Chauncey Billups
Tracy McGrady
Grant Hill
Tim Duncan
Ben Wallace

unstoppable.

LOL that never would have happened.

McGrady was the consolation prize when Tim turned Orlando down; there is no way they could have landed all three of Hill, Duncan, and McGrady. Ben Wallace would have been renounced if Detroit didn't want to do the sign and trade and Chauncey Billups was a Nugget who signed as a free agent with Minnesota before going to Detroit 2 years later.

Faptastrophe
02-04-2012, 09:54 AM
Step 1) Acquire Dwight Howard
Step 2) Put Duncan in the roster for 10+ years, even if he doesn't play any minutes.
Step 3) Win 3 rings with Dwight
Step 4) ???
Step 5) Profit!

Shade8780
02-04-2012, 10:15 AM
C: Dwight Howard
PF: Tim Duncan
SF: Richard Jefferson
SG: Manu Ginobili
PG: Tony Parker

OMG! 2012 NBA Champions, San Antonio Spurs.

Tim Duncan, my favourite player of all time! Let me tell you guys, enjoy the ride while it lasts. He'll be gone soon :cry: .....

Bigsmoke
02-04-2012, 11:50 AM
C: Dwight Howard
PF: Tim Duncan
SF: Richard Jefferson
SG: Manu Ginobili
PG: Tony Parker

OMG! 2012 NBA Champions, San Antonio Spurs.

Tim Duncan, my favourite player of all time! Let me tell you guys, enjoy the ride while it lasts. He'll be gone soon :cry: .....

Old ass roster.

Putting him on the Bulls or Thunder would be more promising for his desire.

inclinerator
02-04-2012, 01:45 PM
i wasted my time reading that and found out it was by tim, smh

greymatter
02-04-2012, 04:17 PM

Chauncey Billups
Tracy McGrady
Grant Hill
Tim Duncan
Ben Wallace

unstoppable.

As nice as that lineup looks, you can never tell simply because some of those players wouldn't have developed quite the way they did had you put them all together. Grant Hill would have continued playing point forward, so Billups (was a late bloomer) would probably never have evolved into a borderline all star. McGrady would almost certainly never had the chance to become the 2nd MJ clone behind Kobe (assuming Hill had fully healed from his ankle problem). Only Wallace would have had a legitimate shot at having the career he did since his game was purely predicated on his D.

If that lineup had materialized. I think McGrady and Wallace would eventually emerge alongside Duncan as all-stars while Billups merely plays a solid role player and Grant Hill sits in a damn cast for 70% of the time.

rfoster24
02-04-2012, 04:21 PM
I can't believe people get paid to write gay shit like this. What a lame.

greymatter
02-04-2012, 04:21 PM
LOL that never would have happened.

McGrady was the consolation prize when Tim turned Orlando down; there is no way they could have landed all three of Hill, Duncan, and McGrady. Ben Wallace would have been renounced if Detroit didn't want to do the sign and trade and Chauncey Billups was a Nugget who signed as a free agent with Minnesota before going to Detroit 2 years later.

Yeah, it appears that I forgot about that part too.

talkingconch
02-04-2012, 04:24 PM
[quote]If you really don

Whoah10115
02-04-2012, 05:21 PM
Richard Jefferson will get amnestied next season.

MooseJuiceBowen
02-04-2012, 05:28 PM
that was a funny letter. 90% of it true

Haymaker
02-04-2012, 06:01 PM
Even if Dwight joins the Spurs and they don't win, their FO will make sure that he'll have a championship contender every year. If there's something they're pretty good at is surrounding their stars with the proper talent.

The Iron Fist
02-04-2012, 06:07 PM
Duncan was carried by Manu and Parker.

Artillery
02-04-2012, 07:23 PM
Duncan was carried by Manu and Parker.

Kobe was carried by Shaq and Gasol - who are both much better players than Manu/Parker.

kennethgriffin
02-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Tim is classy

Are you kidding me? Tims basically ring chasing by begging other guys to come and carry him lol.. He wants to tie kobe so bad but he isnt willing to look like an idiot... Only problem is that he should have talked to dwight in private

Faptastrophe
02-04-2012, 07:49 PM
Are you kidding me? Tims basically ring chasing by begging other guys to come and carry him lol.. He wants to tie kobe so bad but he isnt willing to look like an idiot... Only problem is that he should have talked to dwight in private

:facepalm
You know that this letter isn't real, don't you?

Artillery
02-04-2012, 07:53 PM

:roll:

trolled by slamonline

MooseJuiceBowen
02-04-2012, 07:55 PM

dumbest post of the year comes from none other then a kobe nut hugger LMAO

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

lets pretend this letter wasnt fake for a minute. you sit here and talk about timmy ring chasing when YOUR LEADER YOUR FLOOR GENERAL IS DEMANDING TRADES BECAUSE HE DOESNT HAVE HELP. see any problem with that?? what a great leader kobe is man.... you sure do make him look great. you really think the great tim duncan has EVER requested a trade?? you are so god damn retarded its not even funny. you thinking that letter was real is funny though

kennethgriffin
02-04-2012, 08:03 PM
Lol *** off im on my iphone.. Skimmed the whole thing lol

And how am i supposed to assume a post that says "tim duncan letter yo howard" is fake

Lol ok i " got trolled"

Woopy

And as for moose juice bowen "lamest name ever btw" ... Difference is that kobe had kwame and smush and was prime... Tims old and has a stacked team

MooseJuiceBowen
02-04-2012, 08:13 PM
Lol *** off im on my iphone.. Skimmed the whole thing lol

And how am i supposed to assume a post that says "tim duncan letter yo howard" is fake

Lol ok i " got trolled"

Woopy

still doesnt change the fact you contradicted yourself by saying timmy is a ring chaser so desperate to tie kobe LMAO. what a ****ing idiotic statement. you got the biggest whiner ring chaser in the history as the only reason you watch basketball

kennethgriffin
02-04-2012, 08:26 PM
still doesnt change the fact you contradicted yourself by saying timmy is a ring chaser so desperate to tie kobe LMAO. what a ****ing idiotic statement. you got the biggest whiner ring chaser in the history as the only reason you watch basketball

I edited the reason into my last post...

But il say it again

Big difference between kobes situation

I.e - playing with smush and kwame and hearing from phil jackson that management was not looking to improve and was just waiting on bynum. And they were just gonna hold onto kobe to sell tickets while waisting his prime. Then because of it kobe demands a trade to one of either chicago or the clippers... And both those teams at the time had no other star to pair him with and the only good players would have been involved in the trade

And

Tims hypotheticall situation : "yo give me dright howard even though my team is stacked"

You fuuuking idiot

Paintballer8791
02-04-2012, 09:27 PM
PG: Billups
SG: McGrady
SF: Hill
PF: Duncan
C: Wallace

that team would of been amazing, has everything a team needs to be successful. Scoring, passing, defense, size. Might be one of the best teams ever if it would have happened. What a shame.

chips93
02-04-2012, 09:30 PM

:roll:

AMISTILLILL
02-04-2012, 09:35 PM
I edited the reason into my last post...

But il say it again

Big difference between kobes situation

I.e - playing with smush and kwame and hearing from phil jackson that management was not looking to improve and was just waiting on bynum. And they were just gonna hold onto kobe to sell tickets while waisting his prime. Then because of it kobe demands a trade to one of either chicago or the clippers... And both those teams at the time had no other star to pair him with and the only good players would have been involved in the trade

And

Tims hypotheticall situation : "yo give me dright howard even though my team is stacked"

You fuuuking idiot

You thought it was a real letter, dude. You shouldn't be calling people idiots. :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm