PDA

View Full Version : Field Goal Percent is the most overrated stat in the world

SlayerEnraged
01-29-2012, 02:22 AM
People act like it's accurate...Well most of the time it isn't.

Kobe's supposedly a 45.4% shooter this year.

Well 12/19 games he's a 46.4% shooter or better.

Michael Jordan vs the 93 Knicks in the playoffs shot 40%

Well it turns out he shot under 37.5% in 4/6 games

There's just way to many examples of this type of thing happening. Excessively bad or good shooting games knock a players shooting % up or down and it's not an accurate measure. It's also a silly stat because it doesn't specify how many bail out shots, shots at the end of quarters, etc that a player takes. Plus in my opinion, if you go 6 for 18 or so but end up with 24 points, then that's not a bad thing. It has some value but is the most overrated and overused stat ever.

kurple
01-29-2012, 02:23 AM
mj >>> kobe

32Dayz
01-29-2012, 02:24 AM
I am a huge Kobe homer.
Shooting efficiency especially from the field is meaningless and holds little to no value.
Kobe >>> MJ
Kobe >>> All

Interesting.

Jotaro Durant
01-29-2012, 02:25 AM
its meant to be an on average stat

players will shoot better in some games than not so obvious that is, not meant to be looked at from the majority or minority but the mean:rockon:

32Dayz
01-29-2012, 02:26 AM
Kobe is a streaky shooter.

He lacks consistency and overall efficiency (over time) and struggles heavily vs certain defenders and certain opponents.

Those are the main reasons he is not a Top 5 ATScorer.

KDthunderup
01-29-2012, 02:26 AM
lol MJ's shot averaged nearly 50% for his whole career, Kobe has averaged 45% his whole career

MJ >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>Kobe

SlayerEnraged
01-29-2012, 02:29 AM
Interesting.

There's a shit load more people than think Kobe's better than Mj than people that think Kobe isn't the player of the decade U moron...I'm waiting for ur response or are u choking on lebron's ****?

SlayerEnraged
01-29-2012, 02:31 AM
lol MJ's shot averaged nearly 50% for his whole career, Kobe has averaged 45% his whole career

MJ >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>Kobe

U idiots don't even realize I wasn't comparing the two in this thread... I used examples to show exactly what I'm talking about. Sorry kiddo but if you're regarded as a 40% shooter when 66% of the games u played in where u shoot 37.5% or less that's not an accurate statement.

comerb
01-29-2012, 02:37 AM

There's just way to many examples of this type of thing happening. Excessively bad or good shooting games knock a players shooting % up or down and it's not an accurate measure. It's also a silly stat because it doesn't specify how many bail out shots, shots at the end of quarters, etc that a player takes. Plus in my opinion, if you go 6 for 18 or so but end up with 24 points, then that's not a bad thing. It has some value but is the most overrated and overused stat ever.

Did you really just cherry-pick a playoff series against one of those most physical and defensively sound teams of the 90s and use that as a platform for downing on FG%?

Jordan is considered better than Bryant for a myriad of reasons, efficiency is one of the top reasons. Jordan didn't take a lot of bad shots. On his career, Jordan is a near .500 shooter. He was extremely efficient and extremely consistent.

If your going to use a player as a platform for arguing against FG%, Jordan is not one to do it with.

stephanieg
01-29-2012, 02:38 AM
Plus in my opinion, if you go 6 for 18 or so but end up with 24 points, then that's not a bad thing.

Whoa you just discovered TS% and pps, gewd job!

SlayerEnraged
01-29-2012, 02:42 AM
Did you really just cherry-pick a playoff series against one of those most physical and defensively sound teams of the 90s and use that as a platform for downing on FG%?

Jordan is considered better than Bryant for a myriad of reasons, efficiency is one of the top reasons. Jordan didn't take a lot of bad shots. On his career, Jordan is a near .500 shooter. He was extremely efficient and extremely consistent.

If your going to use a player as a platform for arguing against FG%, Jordan is not one to do it with.

I'm not comparing MJ and Kobe in this thread...I never said anything about the knicks defense...The point of this is to show field goal % is SKEWED.

305Baller
01-29-2012, 02:44 AM
op is a nutjob

:D

32Dayz
01-29-2012, 02:45 AM
There's a shit load of extremely biased Kobe Homers/Stans who think Kobe is better than MJ

I know and they are all complete and utter idiots.

Kobe is the 2nd or 3rd best SG ever after Jordan and West.
Kobe is at best 10-15 All-Time GOAT.

Jordan is the GOAT or at worst Top 3.

Kobe and him were never close and will never be close.

joshwake
01-29-2012, 02:46 AM
its only overrated (and slightly) when you factor in the 3 pt shot. They should split 3pt fg% completely from total fg%.

but on ISH it is an underrated stat, thanks to all the kobe kum guzzlers.

SlayerEnraged
01-29-2012, 02:50 AM
I know and they are all complete and utter idiots.

Kobe is the 2nd or 3rd best SG ever after Jordan and West.
Kobe is at best 10-15 All-Time GOAT.

Jordan is the GOAT or at worst Top 3.

Kobe and him were never close and will never be close.

LMAO is that why Magic and Jerry himself say he's better then them... SMH at ur old ass ignorance :rolleyes:

BTW ur sex machine MJ said Kobe was best player in the league in 2010 AND this year said only Kobe should be compared to MJ. Ur eyes when u see MJ's dick :eek:

comerb
01-29-2012, 02:55 AM
BTW ur sex machine MJ said Kobe was best player in the league in 2010 AND this year said only Kobe should be compared to MJ. Ur eyes when u see MJ's dick :eek:

To be fair, as great of a player as Jordan is, his eye for talent is shit. Plus he's a bit of an egomaniac, and Kobe has copied large portions of MJs game down to his mannerisms (and I'm not faulting Kobe for that at all).

32Dayz
01-29-2012, 02:56 AM
LMAO is that why Magic and Jerry himself say he's better then them... SMH at ur old ass ignorance :rolleyes:

I'd say that 90-95% of people who aren't "player fans" of Kobe consider him to be the 2nd or 3rd best SG ever and somewhere from 9-15 on the ATList.

I'd also say the majority have him ranked 10 or above so I am being alittle generous there.

I'd say maybe 85+% of those consider MJ to be the GOAT.

Am I really that offbase with my views?

SlayerEnraged
01-29-2012, 02:58 AM
To be fair, as great of a player as Jordan is, his eye for talent is shit. Plus he's a bit of an egomaniac, and Kobe has copied large portions of MJs game down to his mannerisms (and I'm not faulting Kobe for that at all).

The only thing Kobe's copied of MJ's is things like the fade away that a billion other players before MJ used..Kobe shoots more 3's and plays with more flare/style and electric like plays.

305Baller
01-29-2012, 03:01 AM
The only thing Kobe's copied of MJ's is things like the fade away that a billion other players before MJ used..Kobe shoots more 3's and plays with more flare/style and electric like plays.

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ly10mwMEFo1qdlh1io1_400.gif

DRose1899
01-29-2012, 03:03 AM
Only kobe fans that saying this.

SlayerEnraged
01-29-2012, 03:06 AM
I'd say that 90-95% of people who aren't "player fans" of Kobe consider him to be the 2nd or 3rd best SG ever and somewhere from 9-15 on the ATList.

I'd also say the majority have him ranked 10 or above so I am being alittle generous there.

I'd say maybe 85+% of those consider MJ to be the GOAT.

Am I really that offbase with my views?

LOL the only people not having Kobe in their top 10=haters. They aint gonna admitt it. Kobe's got a ego and a cocky/arrogant personality...They don't like it.

comerb
01-29-2012, 03:07 AM

The bolded part is the only part you got right. Of course, MJ didn't shoot 3s for a reason, and it's the same reason Wade/Lebron are scaling back this year. The only thing Kobe did better than MJ was shoot free-throws.

Go ahead and search youtube for similarities in their game. They are almost identical, even when you talk about facial expressions and random mannerisms.

I don't even know wtf your talking about w/ the "flare/style" part. Unless your talking about taking really dumb shots... Kobe does take a lot of really dumb, poor shots that MJ didn't take... If that's "style", then I guess you got me on that one.

TerranOP
01-29-2012, 03:08 AM

So you're saying that in about half the games he's played, Kobe has shot above his average. NO. ****ING. WAY.

Thanks for defining what average field goal percentage means. Your examples are also useless, because you're using sample sizes of 6 games and 19 games. Field goal percentage is a measurement that becomes more accurate with more games played, making it a perfectly reasonable statistic over the long term.

Also, this year Kobe is shooting at exactly his career average in field goal percentage. You're telling us that your 12 out of 19 games is more accurate than over a thousand games' worth of compiled data? I think not.

32Dayz
01-29-2012, 03:12 AM
lol Kobe isnt a Top 10 playoff performer even.

DWade has been a much better playoff performer and Finals performer then Kobe has so far and if he catches him in longetivity he will be the better player period.

Right now

Jordan, Shaq, Kareem, Wilt, Russell, Magic, Bird, Duncan, Hakeem, West.

After that you have Oscar Robertson, Dr. J, Moses and KG to fight with Kobe for the 11-15 Spots.

Kobe is not a Top 10 player and is not a particularly good playoff performer in comparison to better GOATs.

He has only been the best player on his own team for 1 of his 5 rings and even in 2009 he wasn't "that much" better then Gasol especially in the Finals.

SlayerEnraged
01-29-2012, 03:12 AM
So you're saying that in about half the games he's played, Kobe has shot above his average. NO. ****ING. WAY.

Thanks for defining what average field goal percentage means. Your examples are also useless, because you're using sample sizes of 6 games and 19 games. Field goal percentage is a measurement that becomes more accurate with more games played, making it a perfectly reasonable statistic over the long term.

Also, this year Kobe is shooting at exactly his career average in field goal percentage. You're telling us that your 12 out of 19 games is more accurate than over a thousand games' worth of compiled data? I think not.

Want me to get back with you on a career basis? I'll tell you the results tomorrow. I guarentee 60% or more of his games are above the 45ish career percent he got. That's exactly the point. The average fg% isn't accurate. Kobe shot 47% tonight.. so 13/20 games Kobe= above 46.4%. 65 Percent of the time he's shooting above that average. It's silly to think that's accurate.

Fawker
01-29-2012, 03:13 AM
shooters stat. but look who don't give a damn about this stat. lebron, kobe, magic, bird, shaq, wade, jordan, kareem, etc...:sleeping anybody meant to score a bunch of points.

Dwyane Rose
01-29-2012, 03:13 AM
:facepalm

SlayerEnraged
01-29-2012, 03:14 AM
lol Kobe isnt a Top 10 playoff performer even.

DWade has been a much better playoff performer and Finals performer then Kobe has so far and if he catches him in longetivity he will be the better player period.

Right now

Jordan, Shaq, Kareem, Wilt, Russell, Magic, Bird, Duncan, Hakeem, West.

After that you have Oscar Robertson, Dr. J, Moses and KG to fight with Kobe for the 11-15 Spots.

Kobe is not a Top 10 player and is not a particularly good playoff performer.

He has only been the best player on his own team for 1 of his 5 rings and even in 2009 he wasn't "that much" better then Gasol especially in the Finals.

HAHA that's not what all my quotes and sources say :) HaHa u have the most retaded top 10 ever...More than half of them are big men! Blow MJ and Lebron harder please :lol

32Dayz
01-29-2012, 03:17 AM
HAHA that's not what all my quotes and sources say :) HaHa u have the most retaded top 10 ever...More than half of them are big men! Blow MJ and Lebron harder please :lol

Some of the most valuable, impactful and best players ever have been bigs.

Dominant Bigs are generally more impactful then guards and are far rarer.

Pretty much 99.9% of people have those same bigs in the Top 10 with a few people who somehow leave Hakeem or Duncan out (idiots).

Also when did I mention Lebron?

If you wanna talk about Lebron I will tell you this.

If he can pile on 2 good to great Final performances he will have surpassed Kobe as a player and on the GOAT list.

SlayerEnraged
01-29-2012, 03:22 AM
Some of the most valuable, impactful and best players ever have been bigs.

Dominant Bigs are generally more impactful then guards and are far rarer.

Pretty much 99.9% of people have those same bigs in the Top 10 with a few people who somehow leave Hakeem or Duncan out (idiots).

Also when did I mention Lebron?

If you wanna talk about Lebron I will tell you this.

If he can pile on 2 good to great Final performances he will have surpassed Kobe as a player and on the GOAT list.

Look oldy lox. To rank players fairly, it should be the best from each position 1-5 and then restart the cycle not 6-7 of the same position. NO they don't lol. Kenny, CHarles, Reggie, pretty much any real bball analyst has Kobe inside top 10, if not top 5.

comerb
01-29-2012, 03:23 AM
Want me to get back with you on a career basis? I'll tell you the results tomorrow. I guarentee 60% or more of his games are above the 45ish career percent he got. That's exactly the point. The average fg% isn't accurate. Kobe shot 47% tonight.. so 13/20 games Kobe= above 46.4%. 65 Percent of the time he's shooting above that average. It's silly to think that's accurate.

Wut?

How is it possible for an average FG% to not be accurate? It's math, not interpretive dance.

bwink23
01-29-2012, 03:24 AM

It's FIELD GOAL % AVERAGE...keyword, AVERAGE...

the only other truly accurate measurement of a guys FG shooting is eFG%, which takes into account 3-pointers...

FG = made shots/missed shots...whether your talking about 20 games, 60 games or 1000 games.

Jordan has proven to be a 50% FG shooter his whole prime career.

Kobe has proven to be a 45%FG shooter his whole prime career.

Do you have a MORE ACCURATE way to gauge a guy's FG shooting???

TerranOP
01-29-2012, 03:26 AM

I'd like to see those stats. And i do understand what you're saying, like one really bad shooting day skews the fg% down pretty hard. That's the problem with using means. Would you advocate using median field goal percentage or something? I feel like that wouldnt' be accurate until like 30+ games into the season. Also, the skewed nature of fg% applies to everyone so I don't see it as such a big deal. Since it's that way for everyone, it's still a good basis for comparison between players.

SlayerEnraged
01-29-2012, 03:27 AM
Wut?

How is it possible for an average FG% to not be accurate? It's math, not interpretive dance.

And averages AREN'T accurate. If you make $5,000 for 8/12 months and suddenly start making 4/12 $12,000, it's not accurate to say the average. More times than not you're only making $5,000. Kobe more times than not is shooting ABOVE his "average".

Eric Cartman
01-29-2012, 03:28 AM
And averages AREN'T accurate. If you make $5,000 for 8/12 months and suddenly start making 4/12 $12,000, it's not accurate to say the average. More times than not you're only making $5,000. Kobe more times than not is shooting ABOVE his "average".

This.

SlayerEnraged
01-29-2012, 03:29 AM
I'd like to see those stats. And i do understand what you're saying, like one really bad shooting day skews the fg% down pretty hard. That's the problem with using means. Would you advocate using median field goal percentage or something? I feel like that wouldnt' be accurate until like 30+ games into the season. Also, the skewed nature of fg% applies to everyone so I don't see it as such a big deal. Since it's that way for everyone, it's still a good basis for comparison between players.

well certain players it hurts more than others. For example, Lebron rarely shoots his normal number of FGA when he's not playing well. Kobe on the other hand usually shoots a normal ammount of FGA regardless whether he's off or not, so it hurts him worse.

bwink23
01-29-2012, 03:31 AM

The difference between being a 50%FG and a 45%FG for an entire season is actually pretty staggering. you can take the easy route and say "it's just one shot per game on average."

But yet, somehow every year the cards never stack in Kobe's favor towards achieving a 50%FG for an entire season. WHY IS THAT??

Cuz maintaining a 50%FG percentage is difficult to do, you can't have near as many BAD shooting games as you have pointed out earlier, which ultimately will always separate Jordan and Kobe's offense.

che guevara
01-29-2012, 03:31 AM
Seems like the OP would be fascinated by a High School stat class.

SlayerEnraged
01-29-2012, 03:37 AM
The difference between being a 50%FG and a 45%FG for an entire season is actually pretty staggering. you can take the easy route and say "it's just one shot per game on average."

But yet, somehow every year the cards never stack in Kobe's favor towards achieving a 50%FG for an entire season. WHY IS THAT??

Cuz maintaining a 50%FG percentage is difficult to do, you can't have near as many BAD shooting games as you have pointed out earlier, which ultimately will always separate Jordan and Kobe's offense.

No...what happens with guys like MJ and Lebron is that when they aren't shooting well, they take a lower number of attempts than night so even though it's a bad field goal %, it's not gonna effect it very much. Sometimes they shot normal FGA on off nights, but not too often.

andgar923
01-29-2012, 03:42 AM
I think I just lot half my brain cells reading some of the op's posts.

bwink23
01-29-2012, 03:45 AM
No...what happens with guys like MJ and Lebron is that when they aren't shooting well, it's not they take a lower number of attempts than night so even though it's a bad field goal %,gonna effect it very much. Sometimes they shot normal FGA on off nights, but not too often.

:facepalm :facepalm jordan averaged near 24 FGA during his prime...doesn't leave alot room for "low FGA" games.

That statement simply cannot get more ridiculous...

Jordan had a 33 game streak of averaging 37.8ppg on 55%FG...show me anywhere kobe has done anything remotely as efficient as that.

Jordan averaged over 32 points a game, almost 24 FG attempts in his prime...

Surely you can see how RIDICULOUS your statement is.

I GUARANTEE YOU....for all games Jordan shot over 24 FGA in his prime, he' STILL A 50%FG shooter.

SlayerEnraged
01-29-2012, 03:46 AM
I think I just lot half my brain cells reading some of the op's posts.

Am I suppsed to get :rant or :cry and ur insults :violin:

SlayerEnraged
01-29-2012, 03:48 AM
:facepalm :facepalm jordan averaged near 24 FGA during his prime...doesn't leave alot room for "low FGA" games.

That statement simply cannot get more ridiculous...

Jordan had a 33 game streak of averaging 37.8ppg on 55%FG...show me anywhere kobe has done anything remotely as efficient as that.

Jordan averaged over 32 points a game, almost 24 FG attempts in his prime...

Surely you can see how RIDICULOUS your statement is.

I GUARANTEE YOU....for all games Jordan shot over 24 FGA in his prime, he' STILL A 50%FG shooter.

Don't worry, I'll do the math tomorrow. Jordans gonna win any fg% arguement but my way is gonna be a lot more close and accurate than the 5% gap.

andgar923
01-29-2012, 03:50 AM
Am I suppsed to get :rant or :cry and ur insults :violin:

No just stating the obvious.

Regardless of how you try to twist and turn your cherry picked "stats", Kobe will still remain an inefficient chucker.

32Dayz
01-29-2012, 03:52 AM
Being inefficient from the floor (FG%) is bad because that means your wasting more possessions.

Players with low FG% give the ball back to the other team by missing more shots plain and simple.

Also its much easier to turn a missed FG and especially a missed 3Pointer into a fast break opportunity then lets say a missed FT.

bwink23
01-29-2012, 03:53 AM
No...what happens with guys like MJ and Lebron is that when they aren't shooting well, they take a lower number of attempts than night so even though it's a bad field goal %, it's not gonna effect it very much. Sometimes they shot normal FGA on off nights, but not too often.

Let me make it easy for you...Kobe has about 6 full months in his entire career where he's shot 50%FG. And he's never done that 2 months in a row..regardless of how FG's he was taking, whether he was the man or playing second option to Shaq, etc.

That's how difficult it is.

SlayerEnraged
01-29-2012, 03:55 AM
No just stating the obvious.

Regardless of how you try to twist and turn your cherry picked "stats", Kobe will still remain an inefficient chucker.

Yup a chucker with a 1.3PPS average...So inefficient. Look at the big brains on Kobe haters today :applause:

32Dayz
01-29-2012, 04:00 AM
Kobe has always been ineffecient from the field.

Before the sissy hand check rules were put into place in 05 his Career playoff TS% was .515%!

:lol

So in reality under normal rules (or during Jordans Era) Kobe is horridly inefficient.

MavAlbert
01-29-2012, 04:00 AM

are you stupid? an average is an average. nothing more nothing less. if you want the details then look more closely.

kennethgriffin
01-29-2012, 04:02 AM
Kobe has always been ineffecient from the field.

Before the sissy hand check rules were put into place in 05 his Career playoff TS% was .515%!

So in reality under normal rules (or during Jordans Era) Kobe is horridly inefficient.

:facepalm mods... please get this guy out of here

MavAlbert
01-29-2012, 04:03 AM
Yup a chucker with a 1.3PPS average...So inefficient. Look at the big brains on Kobe haters today :applause:

wow, the PPS argument. PPS is worthless.

MMM
01-29-2012, 04:09 AM
There is nothing wrong with FG% despite its flaws because other stats have flaws as well. Can someone show me a perfect stat???? Because I haven't been able to find one. Instead the fault lies with people who cherry pick statistics to use in their bias arguments. Yet, people on this site try to tear down the stat when it is the homer, idiot, troll, etc they should be tearing down.

Here is what people should be doing;
1 Watch the games
2 See if the stats match what your eyes see
3 if they don't look for other stats that can explain the discrepancy or go back and observe more closely for the difference.

If more people on the site followed those steps they would have a better understanding of Basketball and the Numbers

32Dayz
01-29-2012, 04:12 AM
:cry: :cry: :cry:

andgar923
01-29-2012, 04:13 AM

Not a Kobe hater, just an idiot one aka Kobe homers.

kennethgriffin
01-29-2012, 04:14 AM

in 4 months you have 2500+ posts about kobe bryant

I.R.Beast
01-29-2012, 04:14 AM
Kobe is a streaky shooter.

He lacks consistency and overall efficiency (over time) and struggles heavily vs certain defenders and certain opponents.

Those are the main reasons he is not a Top 5 ATScorer.
just shut your mouth....please.....you are on crack if you think Kobe is not a top 5 all time scorer..... Spare me your efficiency BS.... Kobe scoring ability is rivaled/bested only by Michael Jordan as far as perimeter players go.

bwink23
01-29-2012, 04:24 AM
There is nothing wrong with FG% despite its flaws because other stats have flaws as well. Can someone show me a perfect stat???? Because I haven't been able to find one. Instead the fault lies with people who cherry pick statistics to use in their bias arguments. Yet, people on this site try to tear down the stat when it is the homer, idiot, troll, etc they should be tearing down.

Here is what people should be doing;
1 Watch the games
2 See if the stats match what your eyes see
3 if they don't look for other stats that can explain the discrepancy or go back and observe more closely for the difference.

If more people on the site followed those steps they would have a better understanding of Basketball and the Numbers

In a perfect world, that would be good advice..unfortunately most of us are too preoccupied to be watching all 82 games of every team every year....:confusedshrug:

I.R.Beast
01-29-2012, 04:26 AM

it's staggering as a whole number, but basketball is played 1 game at a time and 1-2 missed shot difference quite frankly is insignificant....obviously if u multiply 82 by 2 its a big number, but in a game how much of a different does 1-2 missed shots really make?...... i mean is there really a big difference between 9/18 and 9/19?...... factor in the fact that Kobe has shot double the amount of 3 jordan has shot.

32Dayz
01-29-2012, 04:34 AM
just shut your mouth....please.....you are on crack if you think Kobe is not a top 5 all time scorer..... Spare me your efficiency BS.... Kobe scoring ability is rivaled/bested only by Michael Jordan as far as perimeter players go.

Jordan, Shaq, Kareem, Hakeem, West, Wilt, Gervin.

Hell no he isn't Top 5.

Top 10... probably, Top 5... Hell no.

Highest I could ever put him would be 6 or 7... and I feel like I am forgetting some others.

This is Career wise BTW.

Peak Wise he probably falls out of the Top 10 because players like Barkley, King, TMac will overtake him.

bwink23
01-29-2012, 04:36 AM
it's staggering as a whole number, but basketball is played 1 game at a time and 1-2 missed shot difference quite frankly is insignificant....obviously if u multiply 82 by 2 its a big number, but in a game how much of a different does 1-2 missed shots really make?...... i mean is there really a big difference between 9/18 and 9/19?...... factor in the fact that Kobe has shot double the amount of 3 jordan has shot.

Kobe is a career 48.3%FG shooter if your just talking 2-point conversions...Jordan was 52.5%FG in 2-point conversions from 84-1993, his athletic and absolute prime...that still is a significant difference.

I.R.Beast
01-29-2012, 04:37 AM
Jordan, Shaq, Kareem, Hakeem, West, Wilt, Gervin.

Hell no he isn't Top 5.

Top 10... probably, Top 5... Hell no.

Highest I could ever put him would be 6 or 7... and I feel like I am forgetting some others.
west?.....Gervin?.... come on.... you are crazy.....

32Dayz
01-29-2012, 04:38 AM
west?.....Gervin?.... come on.... you are crazy.....

Go look @ Gervin and West in the playoffs.

Both could score on equal or greater efficiency on similar or greater volume.

+ West was a better passer and got more assists despite also scoring more and being more efficient.

Being 6 or 7 All-Time on the Scorer List is not a bad thing... but he wasnt Top 5 bro.

I can say you can maybe make a case for him being #5 but that is the highest he could ever get personally I would never put him higher then #6 because I think West was a better scorer.

I.R.Beast
01-29-2012, 04:44 AM
Go look @ Gervin and West in the playoffs.

Both could score on equal or greater efficiency on similar or greater volume.

+ West was a better passer and got more assists despite also scoring more and being more efficient.

Being 6 or 7 All-Time on the Scorer List is not a bad thing... but he wasnt Top 5 bro.
if you say the word efficient 1 ore tie im going to vomit.....Who cares....they were not better than Bryant....... defense is much better now than it was then an players player much closer to the basket back then as well. Who give a Sh*t if they shot a few %age points better....They still weren't better scorer.

comerb
01-29-2012, 04:45 AM

Yes, it is accurate. You have a fundamental misunderstanding of what an average is. It's completely mind-blowing.

At best, your arguing that Kobe has extremely shitty games sometimes and isn't smart enough to stop shooting. That really doesn't change anything about what his FG% is, or how good of a player he is(or isn't) as a result.

Hittin_Shots
01-29-2012, 04:47 AM
I think the op is heavily retarded, is his argument that half the time kobe shoots more than his average?

32Dayz
01-29-2012, 04:47 AM
if you say the word efficient 1 ore tie im going to vomit.....Who cares....they were not better than Bryant....... defense is much better now than it was then an players player much closer to the basket back then as well. Who give a Sh*t if they shot a few %age points better....They still weren't better scorer.

So your basically saying because you like Kobe he is better.

That is fine but not accurate.

Defense was better back then because that was before the sissy hand check rules and back when you could actually lightly touch players without fouls being called.

West could score on equal or greater volume while being more effecient thus he was a better scorer.

Gervin could do the exact same and thus was a better scorer.

Effeciency matters, I might like to pretend FT% means nothing because I am a Shaq fan but in reality it was a weakness of his and made him a slightly weaker player then he could have been.

:confusedshrug:

comerb
01-29-2012, 04:51 AM

Who the **** fed you that line of bullshit? Centers used to be able to camp in the paint for forever and you used to be able to hand-check the shit out of people. Defenses are decidedly less effective against guards nowadays.

RazorBaLade
01-29-2012, 04:59 AM

7k a month isn't an accurate number to describe how much that person earned on average?

Hittin_Shots
01-29-2012, 05:04 AM
7k a month isn't an accurate number to describe how much that person earned on average?

I think this guy hates logic.

bwink23
01-29-2012, 12:33 PM
He's just looking for ways to try and bring Kobe closer to Jordan in the efficiency aspect of scoring....too bad it wouldn't change a thing about Jordan being the superior player.

longtime lurker
01-29-2012, 12:40 PM
Have to agree 100% A player can take 20 shots and score half of them to get 20 points. According to field goal percentage he shoots a respectable 50% but then some people would say he's not efficient because he took 20 shots to get 20 points. What gives?

pmj
01-29-2012, 12:46 PM
If an idea in your head starts with, "Hmm, this stat goes against what I currently think, let me rationalize why the stat is wrong", you fail at critical thinking.

tmacattack33
01-29-2012, 12:55 PM

Yes, overall FG% over the year is an average of each game in a season. It won't tell you what happened in every single game of a player's season. Just like any other stat.

I am very impressed that you figured out what an average is. Your 7th grade teacher would be impressed.

SMH :facepalm

tmacattack33
01-29-2012, 12:58 PM
Have to agree 100% A player can take 20 shots and score half of them to get 20 points. According to field goal percentage he shoots a respectable 50% but then some people would say he's not efficient because he took 20 shots to get 20 points. What gives?

Great. But your argument there is that FG% doesn't take into consideration FT's and the amount of 3PTers a player takes.

That is not the OP's argument. The OP's main argument (according to his opening post) is that FG% is a terrible stat because it just an average of all the games in a year. Yeah, I don't get it either.

SlayerEnraged
01-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Yall are freaking idiots. Mode is better and more important than average. It's moronic to regard something as an average with 60% of the time, they're above and below it! Other than 97 and 98( his first 2 years Kobe has been shooting BETTER than his "average of 45.4% shooting . 522/973 other games Kobe has shot better than 45.4% which is 53.7% of the time. SO nope he isn't chucking nearly as often as u claim.

FireDavidKahn
01-29-2012, 01:06 PM
I feel this thread was made because of the moron in the NBA PER and TS% thread:oldlol:

SlayerEnraged
01-29-2012, 01:07 PM

Your right on the money. It doensn't matter how hard it is to shoot 50%. It's literally a one more make per 20 shot attempts scenerio. That's the only affect. Then like u said, its more important how many points result from the shot attempts.

Dwyane Rose
01-29-2012, 01:12 PM
Yall are freaking idiots. Mode is better and more important than average. It's moronic to regard something as an average with 60% of the time, they're above and below it! Other than 97 and 98( his first 2 years Kobe has been shooting BETTER than his "average of 45.4% shooting . 522/973 other games Kobe has shot better than 45.4% which is 53.7% of the time. SO nope he isn't chucking nearly as often as u claim.

PJR
01-29-2012, 01:14 PM
Op is a moron and a fa99ot.

SlayerEnraged
01-29-2012, 01:18 PM
Op is a moron and a fa99ot.

Keep talkin shit please...u haters got nothin and are losers:sleeping

bwink23
01-29-2012, 01:23 PM
Your right on the money. It doensn't matter how hard it is to shoot 50%. It's literally a one more make per 20 shot attempts scenerio. That's the only affect. Then like u said, its more important how many points result from the shot attempts.

eFG% takes into account 3-pointers as an extra point in your FG%.

Jordan eFG% from age 21-32 = 52.3%
Kobe eFG% from age 21-32 = 48.9%

That's still a 3.4% difference after factoring in 3's.

So Jordan was still superior from scoring on the floor, while doing it with a higher volume of shots which is more difficult.

Couple that in with his taking away the other team's possessions through steals and blocks, and it's not really that close.

longtime lurker
01-29-2012, 01:31 PM
Great. But your argument there is that FG% doesn't take into consideration FT's and the amount of 3PTers a player takes.

That is not the OP's argument. The OP's main argument (according to his opening post) is that FG% is a terrible stat because it just an average of all the games in a year. Yeah, I don't get it either.

Well op's argument is retarded, I just thought I'd throw in my opinion of how really pointless the stat is since there is waaaaay too much emphasis placed on it.

SlayerEnraged
01-29-2012, 01:32 PM
eFG% takes into account 3-pointers as an extra point in your FG%.

Jordan eFG% from age 21-32 = 52.3%
Kobe eFG% from age 21-32 = 48.9%

That's still a 3.4% difference after factoring in 3's.

So Jordan was still superior from scoring on the floor, while doing it with a higher volume of shots which is more difficult.

Couple that in with his taking away the other team's possessions through steals and blocks, and it's not really that close.

Well that narrows the gap from the original 5% deficet to 3.4% and yes it accounts for the made 3's, but it's well worth it to risk shooting more 3's, even though the results didn't end up better. I know MJ will be always better than Kobe regarding fg%, ts%, any fg% really but this thread wasn't meant to compare the 2 players AND now that u guys bring it up, measures like this make it closer than the original FG% arguement.

Hittin_Shots
01-29-2012, 01:32 PM
Keep talkin shit please...u haters got nothin and are losers:sleeping

Every player has games they shoot higher than their average and games they shoot lower that's how averages work... Are you angry that they don't shoot that exact % every game? Do u also hate RPGs and apg because like 60% of The time some has more than there average and those bad games they have skew it. Btw you're fkn stupid.

SlayerEnraged
01-29-2012, 01:46 PM
Every player has games they shoot higher than their average and games they shoot lower that's how averages work... Are you angry that they don't shoot that exact % every game? Do u also hate RPGs and apg because like 60% of. The time some has more than there average and those bad games they have skew it. Btw you fin stupid.

No one here has the brain cells to understand a damn thing. I understand how a average works and what it is..It's just not an accurate measure. So many times ISH posters say things like Kobe's only averaging 5 apg in a particular series when half the time he's getting above that. It's not accurate to say that numb nutz :facepalm

bwink23
01-29-2012, 01:51 PM
No one here has the brain cells to understand a damn thing. I understand how a average works and what it is..It's just not an accurate measure. So many times ISH posters say things like Kobe's only averaging 5 apg in a particular series when half the time he's getting above that. It's not accurate to say that numb nutz :facepalm

Those same average principles apply to every other player that's ever played organized basketball so it all comes out in the wash.

SlayerEnraged
01-29-2012, 01:55 PM
Those same average principles apply to every other player that's ever played organized basketball so it all comes out in the wash.

Doesn't matter because for some, it benefits certain players more than others and that just proves that it's not an accurate stat to use.

NumberSix
01-29-2012, 01:57 PM
Kobe > West.

If you want to argue that West was better in his own era than Kobe is in his era, that MIGHT be true. BUT.... C'mon, you KNOW Kobe is the better player.

joshwake
01-29-2012, 02:00 PM
wow, the PPS argument. PPS is worthless.
PPS is a more accurate efficiency calculation than straight fg%, as long as they are not factoring in free throws.

tmacattack33
01-29-2012, 02:04 PM
Well op's argument is retarded, I just thought I'd throw in my opinion of how really pointless the stat is since there is waaaaay too much emphasis placed on it.

Yeah true.

SlayerEnraged
01-29-2012, 02:08 PM
PPS is a more accurate efficiency calculation than straight fg%, as long as they are not factoring in free throws.

Why is PPS A stupid if freethrows are included? Freethrows are part of the game and most of the time to get freethrows u have to shoot the ball and get fouled on the shot.

bwink23
01-29-2012, 02:38 PM

That's the problem with PPS cuz it does factor in FT's.

Owl
01-29-2012, 02:46 PM
U idiots don't even realize I wasn't comparing the two in this thread... I used examples to show exactly what I'm talking about. Sorry kiddo but if you're regarded as a 40% shooter when 66% of the games u played in where u shoot 37.5% or less that's not an accurate statement.
You've used 66% accurately enough (technically 66.66 recurring%) so you seem to understand how percentages work, and so you know that it is an entirely accurate statement. You're argument seems to be that it is misleading. And it can be.

Field goal percentage is a stat that fluctuates most wildly game to game and especially season to season (partially because the shot distribution and context change with team circumstances). Using it over short periods (giving a small sample size) may give you a misleading impression of a player.

Field goal % is also flawed in that in doesn't account for the added value of making 3's which is why efg% and ts% are superior. As you allude to in your opening post getting to the line is valuable too.

But the idea that missing shots is unimportant seems ludicrous to me, and I hope this isn't part of your argument but it does seem implicit within it.

Additionally the idea that stats are "overrated" doesn't really make sense to me. I don't know anyone who rates or ranks stats against one another, especially boxscore stats (I can see the virtue of arguing PER versus Win Shares versus WARP). Any single boxscore stat tells you very little about how a player played on it's own. Perhaps overvalued would be more accurate term. To be fair you also suggest it is overused which is fine though you do not state by whom.

Your argument that modal scoring accuracy is most important is somewhat intriguing, insofar as there is some value in having consistent(ly good) shooters (though for bench players streakiness could be said to be a virtue, keeping players in if they're hot, yanking them if not). And I think Stats Inc did studies of consitency (though not in shooting) more than 15 years ago. I would however emphasize that
1) The mode or most often occuring, doesn't have to occur often overall, just more often than any other specific outcome. Looking at standard deviation is a more accurate way to gauge consistency of performance.
2) Single stats in a vacuum tell us little anyway, but splitting it individual games makes less sense, because you're going on very little data. If a player has a high percentage in the game he shoots most in then that's more important than his lower percentages in games he was less active in. So a total across the series probably tells you a little more (though as stated above there is value in knowing whether production was consistent or not).

Dave3
01-29-2012, 02:55 PM
Reading your post it's very clear that it's not FG% that you have a problem with, rather the idea of averaging numbers. You didn't make a single argument about the stat, but about how its an average of multiple performances.

bwink23
01-29-2012, 03:01 PM
You've used 66% accurately enough (technically 66.66 recurring%) so you seem to understand how percentages work, and so you know that it is an entirely accurate statement. You're argument seems to be that it is misleading. And it can be.

Field goal percentage is a stat that fluctuates most wildly game to game and especially season to season (partially because the shot distribution and context change with team circumstances). Using it over short periods (giving a small sample size) may give you a misleading impression of a player.

Field goal % is also flawed in that in doesn't account for the added value of making 3's which is why efg% and ts% are superior. As you allude to in your opening post getting to the line is valuable too.

But the idea that missing shots is unimportant seems ludicrous to me, and I hope this isn't part of your argument but it does seem implicit within it.

Additionally the idea that stats are "overrated" doesn't really make sense to me. I don't know anyone who rates or ranks stats against one another, especially boxscore stats (I can see the virtue of arguing PER versus Win Shares versus WARP). Any single boxscore stat tells you very little about how a player played on it's own. Perhaps overvalued would be more accurate term. To be fair you also suggest it is overused which is fine though you do not state by whom.

Your argument that modal scoring accuracy is most important is somewhat intriguing, insofar as there is some value in having consistent(ly good) shooters (though for bench players streakiness could be said to be a virtue, keeping players in if they're hot, yanking them if not). And I think Stats Inc did studies of consitency (though not in shooting) more than 15 years ago. I would however emphasize that
1) The mode or most often occuring, doesn't have to occur often overall, just more often than any other specific outcome. Looking at standard deviation is a more accurate way to gauge consistency of performance.
2) Single stats in a vacuum tell us little anyway, but splitting it individual games makes less sense, because you're going on very little data. If a player has a high percentage in the game he shoots most in then that's more important than his lower percentages in games he was less active in. So a total across the series probably tells you a little more (though as stated above there is value in knowing whether production was consistent or not).

Spoken like someone who's never played a single organized basketball game before....NERD :hammerhead:

FG's = make or miss..%

FT's = make or miss...%

steals and blocks that result in loss of possession for other team = +1

3's = make or miss = %

NO WONDER why you like TS%....you over-complicate the game to the point where you feel you NEED it.

Go play some REAL GAMES for yourself, and then come back start talking.

TerranOP
01-29-2012, 03:02 PM
Slayer I think you're looking at the stat the wrong way. Yes, the FG% is skewed when you look at it on a per game average, but you should look at it more on the basis of shots. It seems much more accurate if you say that "if you take a sample of 100 shots Kobe has taken in a row, he would more or less have made 45 of them". That seems like a pretty accurate statement to me.

bwink23
01-29-2012, 03:05 PM
Slayer I think you're looking at the stat the wrong way. Yes, the FG% is skewed when you look at it on a per game average, but you should look at it more on the basis of shots. It seems much more accurate if you say that "if you take a sample of 100 shots Kobe has taken in a row, he would more or less have made 45 of them". That seems like a pretty accurate statement to me.

What argument do you really have against 15 years of data that show Kobe to be a near consistent 45-46% FG shooter for his entire career. NOT MUCH.

Qwyjibo
01-29-2012, 03:07 PM
My math brain is beginning to bleed from the lack of understanding of basic concepts like average or variance in this thread.

Why do people on this site treat single stats as magical "tell all" #'s when no one claims them to be so? Each stat tells a side of the story but never the entire thing when it comes to basketball so stop treating them as such! Statistics are useful and interesting as long as you know how to interpret them and what the variables are in each one.

Owl
01-29-2012, 03:08 PM
My math brain is beginning to bleed from the lack of understanding of basic concepts like average or variance in this thread.

Why do people on this site treat single stats as magical "tell all" #'s when no one claims them to be so? Each stat tells a side of the story but never the entire thing when it comes to basketball so stop treating them as such! Statistics are useful and interesting as long as you know how to interpret them and what the variables are in each one.
This.

TerranOP
01-29-2012, 03:41 PM
What argument do you really have against 15 years of data that show Kobe to be a near consistent 45-46% FG shooter for his entire career. NOT MUCH.

Not arguing against it. I understand what mean/variance are and how over 1000 games of compiled data on Kobe can't be argued against. I'm just trying to not be a dick to the OP.

joshwake
01-29-2012, 04:04 PM
http://www.amazon.com/How-Lie-Statistics-Darrell-Huff/dp/0393310728

oolalaa
01-29-2012, 05:19 PM
EFG%!!!!!!!

FG% should be banned. Jason Kidd is the perfect example as to why.

SlayerEnraged
01-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Not arguing against it. I understand what mean/variance are and how over 1000 games of compiled data on Kobe can't be argued against. I'm just trying to not be a dick to the OP.

Thank you. That's the opposite of 99% of ISH'ers. These guys turned this thread into a comparison thread. I just was saying FG% is skewed/inaccurate and it is but they turned it into a comparison thread full of flaming comments.

SlayerEnraged
01-29-2012, 06:39 PM

Also, when u look at it that way then u could assume MJ would make 50 of the 100 shots. When U do the math it only equates to 1 more make per 20 attempts. It doesn't matter if Kobe's never done it...the effect it has is MINIMAL.

TheNaturalWR
01-29-2012, 06:50 PM

Because MJ is great at evaluating talent!!!!! :facepalm

bwink23
01-29-2012, 07:23 PM
Also, when u look at it that way then u could assume MJ would make 50 of the 100 shots. When U do the math it only equates to 1 more make per 20 attempts. It doesn't matter if Kobe's never done it...the effect it has is MINIMAL.

MIMINAL?? don't think so....:no:

Owl
01-29-2012, 07:41 PM
Leaving aside Kobe vs MJ. 5% difference (assuming similar shot distribution) is not minimal especially when talking about high volume shooters. If they're shooting more than twenty shots a game, the guy with the 5% advantage is giving his team a 2 point advantage, on average, every game over the less efficient guy. If you had that advantage at every position that would be a ten point advantage per game, and very few teams average a ten point differential.
So it really is quite a big difference.

MMM
01-29-2012, 08:00 PM
In a perfect world, that would be good advice..unfortunately most of us are too preoccupied to be watching all 82 games of every team every year....:confusedshrug:

You don't have to watch every game of every team to follow those suggestions.

Legends66NBA7
01-29-2012, 08:13 PM

Regular Season (not including this season)

Games with under 50% shooting:
Michael Jordan: 489
Kobe Bryant: 678

Games with under 48% shooting:
Michael Jordan: 458
Kobe Bryant: 651

Games with under 46% shooting:
Michael Jordan: 388
Kobe Bryant: 578

Games with under 44% shooting:
Michael Jordan: 296
Kobe Bryant: 490

Games with under 42% shooting:
Michael Jordan: 234
Kobe Bryant: 426

Games with under 40% shooting:
Michael Jordan: 158
Kobe Bryant: 344

Games with under 35% shooting:
Michael Jordan: 88
Kobe Bryant: 207

Games with under 30% shooting:
Michael Jordan: 41
Kobe Bryant: 107

Games with 50% or better shooting:
Michael Jordan: 556
Kobe Bryant: 425

Games with 60% or better shooting:
Michael Jordan: 173
Kobe Bryant: 129

That's not minimal at all between those two.

Hittin_Shots
01-29-2012, 08:22 PM

Wait.. So you don't like saying 45% or 50% but you have no problem with saying he makes 45 of ever 100 or 50 of every 100... Mind numbing.

rodman91
01-29-2012, 08:25 PM
it turned out to be MJ vs Kobe.. 20 pages coming.

Glide2keva
01-29-2012, 08:52 PM

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e76/Skiramdoo/not-sure-if-serious.jpg

aau
01-29-2012, 09:18 PM
Leaving aside Kobe vs MJ. 5% difference (assuming similar shot distribution) is not minimal especially when talking about high volume shooters. If they're shooting more than twenty shots a game, the guy with the 5% advantage is giving his team a 2 point advantage, on average, every game over the less efficient guy. If you had that advantage at every position that would be a ten point advantage per game, and very few teams average a ten point differential.
So it really is quite a big difference.

1988 MJ - 35.0 - .535
2006 KB - 35.4 - .450

8 % points

HUGE difference, right?

MJ 82g 1069/1998 ....... 7/53 ...... 723/860 ...... 2868p
KB 80g- 978/2173 ..... 180/518 .... 696/819 ...... 2832p

2 more games - 36 more points

KB extrapolates to 2,902

MJ 24.4 spg
KB 27.2 spg

less than 3 more spg

HUGE differences?

TheSilentKiller
01-29-2012, 09:21 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll:

OP is too stupid to realize that all statistics have variance and you can't expect to do the same thing over and over again :rolleyes:

Nevaeh
01-29-2012, 09:46 PM
Funny how Kobe's the only player in the history of the game where stats-ANY kind of stats- become overrated. Now, why is that, I wonder.......:lol

bwink23
01-29-2012, 10:48 PM
it turned out to be MJ vs Kobe.. 20 pages coming.

That was the true intention to begin with....his life is not complete and until he can justify in his mind that Kobe is in fact a superior player to Michael Jordan, despite the overwhelming evidence that supports the opposite.

comerb
01-29-2012, 10:51 PM

Kobe Bryant has scored 21,305 points in his career off made baskets (excluding free-throws & playoffs).

He has made 9932 shots out of 21854. That comes out to about 2.2 points per made bucket (again, excluding free throws)

If he had shot 50% on his career, he would have made 10,927 buckets.

That comes out to an additional 2189 points he would have scored in his career if he was a 50% shooter. Bryants total points last season was 2078. On his career he averages about 1857 points a season. It takes an average of 26.7ppg over an 82 game season to score 2189 points.

So, your MINIMAL difference has amounted to more than an entire season worth of missed points, and that's not even counting playoff games.

bwink23
01-29-2012, 10:56 PM
1988 MJ - 35.0 - .535
2006 KB - 35.4 - .450

8 % points

HUGE difference, right?

MJ 82g 1069/1998 ....... 7/53 ...... 723/860 ...... 2868p
KB 80g- 978/2173 ..... 180/518 .... 696/819 ...... 2832p

2 more games - 36 more points

KB extrapolates to 2,902

MJ 24.4 spg
KB 27.2 spg

less than 3 more spg

HUGE differences?

With all factors EQUAL.....

1988 MJ = .537 eFG%
2006 Kobe = .491 eFG%

on 2000 shot attempts.....MJ = 2,148 points.
Kobe = 1, 964 points.

Point difference = 184 more points....for high volume scorers, that's SIGNIFICANT. :no:

D-Wade316
01-29-2012, 10:57 PM
Funny how Kobe's the only player in the history of the game where stats-ANY kind of stats- become overrated. Now, why is that, I wonder.......:lol
It goes against their love for Kobe. :lol

bwink23
01-29-2012, 11:02 PM

The only stats that matter to Kobetards is the point total at the end of the game. Whatever it took to get those points is irrelevant, unless of course it's a long 3 with a hand in your face, then poor shot selection becomes the CRUTCH on which they lean on to explain his shortcomings in the Efficiency category.

Deuce Bigalow
01-29-2012, 11:02 PM
With all factors EQUAL.....

1988 MJ = .537 eFG%
2006 Kobe = .491 eFG%

on 2000 shot attempts.....MJ = 2,148 points.
Kobe = 1, 964 points.

Point difference = 184 more points....for high volume scorers, that's SIGNIFICANT. :no:
Jordan and Kobe shoot different shots
Kobe takes much more 3s and deep 2s than Jordan, thus the lower %

comerb
01-29-2012, 11:05 PM

That just makes him a bad decision maker.

bwink23
01-29-2012, 11:05 PM

I posted EFFECTIVE FG%'s, which takes into account 3-pointers....:facepalm

bwink23
01-29-2012, 11:07 PM

Shot selection between volume scorers is what separates great...from greater.

D-Wade316
01-29-2012, 11:09 PM
:lol Excuses.

Deuce Bigalow
01-29-2012, 11:10 PM
I posted EFFECTIVE FG%'s, which takes into account 3-pointers....:facepalm
does eFG% know the difference between a 19 foot 2pointer or a 10 ft 2pointer?

Deuce Bigalow
01-29-2012, 11:11 PM
:lol Excuses.
It's fact, Kobe has taken much more 3s and deep 2s

comerb

I'm pretty sure you don't get bonus points in the NBA for taking dumb shots. In my opinion, offensively, that has always been the biggest difference between Jordan and Kobe. Kobe takes a lot of really stupid shots.

D-Wade316
It's still a 2-pointer no matter how much you twist it. So a 19ftr is 2.7pts, and a 10ftr is 2.3pts. Nice. :lol

Deuce Bigalow
01-29-2012, 11:12 PM
I'm pretty sure you don't get bonus points in the NBA for taking dumb shots.
How is it "dumb'? :facepalm

D-Wade316
01-29-2012, 11:12 PM
It's fact, Kobe has taken much more 3s and deep 2s
Not my fault. That's why he's a bad decision maker.

Deuce Bigalow
01-29-2012, 11:13 PM
It's still a 2-pointer no matter how much you twist it. So a 19ftr is 2.7pts, and a 10ftr is 2.3pts. Nice. :lol
There is a difference in efficiency of a 19 foot shot compared to a 10 foot shot, play some more basketball Filipino kid

Deuce Bigalow
01-29-2012, 11:14 PM
Not my fault. That's why he's a bad decision maker.
:oldlol: Yeah Kobe Bryant is a bad decision maker :lol ok whatever you say basketball genius

comerb

Because it's less likely to go in the bucket, as shown by the lower FG%.

This shit isn't rocket science, are you really this stupid or are you just blowing smoke up my ass?

bwink23

Do you know how many 19-footers Jordan or Kobe shot those years?? HELL NO you don't...

Take your excuses to the garbage can...no one forces Kobe to shoot for spectacle rather than for efficiency.

D-Wade316
01-29-2012, 11:15 PM
There is a difference in efficiency of a 19 foot shot compared to a 10 foot shot, play some more basketball Filipino kid
You don't have to bring your racist BS. You being an American does not make you smarter than me. Don't get me started.

Deuce Bigalow
01-29-2012, 11:16 PM
Do you know how many 19-footers Jordan or Kobe shot those years?? HELL NO you don't...

Take your excuses to the garbage can...no one forces Kobe to shoot for spectacle rather than for efficiency.
Have you not seen Kobe play?
He takes more perimeter jumpers than Jordan, deeper ones too

BlueandGold
That just makes him a bad decision maker.
It makes him a different player. For the majority of his career he's played with talented offensive big men. His teams needed him to shoot from farther out to space the floor.

bwink23

eFG% awards an extra point for shooting behind the line...its worth 3 points.

Anything inside that line, no matter where your at, is worth 2....

How you go about getting those points, is ON YOU.

I'm sensing your a fool.

Deuce Bigalow
01-29-2012, 11:17 PM
Because it's less likely to go in the bucket, as shown by the lower FG%.

This shit isn't rocket science, are you really this stupid or are you just blowing smoke up my ass?
That is his game, that is the way he plays, he is a perimeter player
it isn't rocket science

bwink23
01-29-2012, 11:19 PM
Have you not seen Kobe play?
He takes more perimeter jumpers than Jordan, deeper ones too

I'm positive you don't have shot charts for either player...

outside the line....3 points

inside the line....2 points

there's no "In-between" dumbass...

D-Wade316
01-29-2012, 11:20 PM
it isn't rocket science
It isn't rocket science that layups and dunks are easier than long 2s or deep 3s.

bwink23
It makes him a different player. For the majority of his career he's played with talented offensive big men. His teams needed him to shoot from farther out to space the floor.

OH PLEASE... :facepalm :facepalm

big men don't force him to shoot 26-foot 3-pointers for the hell of it...:hammerhead:

Deuce Bigalow
You don't have to bring your racist BS. You being an American does not make you smarter than me. Don't get me started.
You're asking for it
You don't know the difference between 2s
>10 ft
10-16 ft (midrange)
16-23 ft

the farther you go, the lower the %

Deuce Bigalow
01-29-2012, 11:21 PM
:facepalm No point in arguing with these people

D-Wade316
You're asking for it
>10 ft
10-16 ft (midrange)
16-23 ft

So a 19ftr is worth 2.7pts and a 10ftr is worth 2.3pts, right? :roll:

SlayerEnraged
it isn't rocket science

Not only that but they're too stupid to realize that Jordans team always shot above 50% meaning that if you didn't guard Kerr or Pippen or whoever from somewhere that they were going to hit it. Kobe's team routinely is under 50% and his perimiter players suck especially at it and that gives kobe less space to work with...Oh and the fact that 93.9% of guards were were under 200 pounds back in the day lol! MJ shootin over dwarfs and weaklings.

bwink23
01-29-2012, 11:22 PM
You're asking for it
>10 ft
10-16 ft (midrange)
16-23 ft

Jordan = superior scorer...EASILY

Deuce Bigalow
01-29-2012, 11:23 PM
So a 19ftr is worth 2.7pts and a 10ftr is worth 2.3pts, right? :roll:
When did I say that? You not know how to read english?
The further you go from the basket, the lower the %

bwink23
01-29-2012, 11:23 PM
Not only that but they're too stupid to realize that Jordans team always shot above 50% meaning that if you didn't guard Kerr or Pippen or whoever from somewhere that they were going to hit it. Kobe's team routinely is under 50% and his perimiter players suck especially at it and that gives kobe less space to work with...Oh and the fact that 93.9% of guards were were under 200 pounds back in the day lol! MJ shootin over dwarfs and weaklings.

Instead of trolling, make a thread about it KOBE ******.

Deuce Bigalow
01-29-2012, 11:24 PM
Jordan = superior scorer...EASILY
I didnt even compare them in who is better or not :facepalm
It's obvious that Jordan is better insecure jordan jocker

bwink23
01-29-2012, 11:25 PM

Kobe's a better shooter from 16 feet than he is from 14 feet..

PROVE ME WRONG.

D-Wade316
01-29-2012, 11:25 PM
I'm just trying to make a point that 19ftr or 10ftrs are worth 2pts. Simple as that. No need for excuses.

BlueandGold
01-29-2012, 11:26 PM
OH PLEASE... :facepalm :facepalm

big men don't force him to shoot 26-foot 3-pointers for the hell of it...:hammerhead:
No I'm sure the shot clock has something to do with that too along with a myriad of other reasons. You act like no other great players take bad contested shots sometimes. The ability for Kobe to hit contested turnaround fadeaways is the beauty of his game and its exactly the reason why he hails so much comparison to Jordan.

Deuce Bigalow
Kobe's a better shooter from 16 feet than he is from 14 feet..

PROVE ME WRONG.
:wtf: Are you 32dayz? similarities in stupidity...

bwink23
I didnt even compare them in who is better or not :facepalm
It's obvious that Jordan is better insecure jordan jocker

And it's obvious your making extremely silly excuses for Kobe's shot selection...if you say it's his game, then LEAVE IT AT THAT.

bwink23
01-29-2012, 11:28 PM
No I'm sure the shot clock has something to do with that too along with a myriad of other reasons. You act like no other great players take bad contested shots sometimes. The ability for Kobe to hit contested turnaround fadeaways is the beauty of his game and its exactly the reason why he hails so much comparison to Jordan.

SAVE IT...Kobe has some of the worse shot selection i've ever seen. Shooting purely for spectacle....

YOU BEEN LIVING UNDER A ROCK THE LAST 16 YEARS OR WHAT?

bwink23
01-29-2012, 11:29 PM
:wtf: Are you 32dayz? similarities in stupidity...

NO i'm not....are you a MORON??

Deuce Bigalow
01-29-2012, 11:30 PM
NO i'm not....are you a MORON??
No, I understand the game of basketball, you do not.

comerb
01-29-2012, 11:32 PM
it isn't rocket science

Exactly, the way he plays make him a less efficient and less effective... thus inferior player.

Deuce Bigalow
01-29-2012, 11:33 PM
Exactly, the way he plays make him a less efficient and less effective... thus inferior player.
less efficient, the others no

Nevaeh
01-29-2012, 11:34 PM

And who's usually the reason his team is under 50%? Gee, I wonder... :rolleyes:

bwink23
01-29-2012, 11:34 PM
No, I understand the game of basketball, you do not.

You understand how shooting %'s tend to drop as you shoot for distances from the floor?? Is that the EXTENT of your basketball knowledge ?? :oldlol:

You sir, a GENIUS!! Maybe you will make it in life when you grow up.

Deuce Bigalow
01-29-2012, 11:37 PM
You understand how shooting %'s tend to drop as you shoot for distances from the floor?? Is that the EXTENT of your basketball knowledge ?? :oldlol:

You sir, a GENIUS!! Maybe you will make it in life when you grow up.
Funny, because you seem to not think that is true

SlayerEnraged
01-29-2012, 11:38 PM
Insecure little Jordan Fagz turning non comparison threads into comparison threads...Have fun watchin jordan smoke awa his life. Cool people, let's enjoy watchin Kobe :cheers:

comerb
01-29-2012, 11:39 PM

Please explain how there isn't a direct correlation between high-volume scorers.

SlayerEnraged
01-29-2012, 11:43 PM
And who's usually the reason his team is under 50%? Gee, I wonder... :rolleyes:

Gasol And Bynum (1 time Odom) are the only L.A. guys to shoot 50% on L.A. Mj had guys named stever kerr, tony kukoch, bj armstrong and john paxon which ALL shot 47+% as well as good 3 point shooting. Kobe doesn't have perimiter players near 47% shooters. It gives his opponents more motivation to play off Kobe's teammates and help the primary defender on KObe instead.

bwink23
Funny, because you seem to not think that is true

There is truth in that...but that's not "basketball knowledge"....that's common sense a 3rd grader would know.

What is THE TRUTH.....

Shot outside the 3-line = 3.
inside that line = 2.

There are no BROWNIE POINTS for different ranges across the floor. It's all worth 2...So how you go about getting those points (SHOT SELECTION) is up to you.

Of course you know this, you were just trying to put a spin on Kobe's less than stellar FG%, i understand...

Hittin_Shots

The guy u are arguing with isn't saying that the % isn't worse further out he's saying that they're worth the same amount so it shouldn't matter that they're harder, if it was just as easy to get a 10ft shot as a 16 ft shot people would mostly go for the 10. But arguing that he takes further out shots and that's why he shoots worse in a way to make the player sound better, which is what I think you're doing is just moronic.

bwink23
01-29-2012, 11:44 PM
Gasol And Bynum (1 time Odom) are the only L.A. guys to shoot 50% on L.A. Mj had guys named stever kerr, tony kukoch, bj armstrong and john paxon which ALL shot 47+% as well as good 3 point shooting. Kobe doesn't have perimiter players near 47% shooters. It gives his opponents more motivation to play off Kobe's teammates and help the primary defender on KObe instead.

And Jordan shot significantly better than his own team and the league's FG% nearly every year played....Kobe has not....:no:

SlayerEnraged
01-29-2012, 11:55 PM
And Jordan shot significantly better than his own team and the league's FG% nearly every year played....Kobe has not....:no:

The whole league FG% was always higher back when Jordan played...

bwink23
01-29-2012, 11:57 PM

NOT REALLY...if you look at eFG%, the last 8 years or so is nearly identical that of the 1980's.

Nevaeh
01-29-2012, 11:57 PM
Insecure little Jordan Fagz turning non comparison threads into comparison threads...Have fun watchin jordan smoke awa his life. Cool people, let's enjoy watchin Kobe :cheers:

Sorry son, but it looks like you were the one Fagging-It-Up with your original post, begging for comparisons to be made:

Originally Posted By SlayerEnraged:

Now why, exactly did you feel the need to even bring up Jordan in the first place, if you didn't want a response from Jordan fans? You guys kill me with that ISH. :oldlol: You could have made your original point and left MJ completely out of it.

bwink23
01-30-2012, 12:00 AM
Sorry son, but it looks like you were the one Fagging-It-Up with your original post, begging for comparisons to be made:

Now why, exactly did you feel the need to even bring up Jordan in the first place, if you didn't want a response from Jordan fans? You guys kill me with that ISH. :oldlol: You could have made your original point and left MJ completely out of it.

He is in love with Kobe in ways you can never understand...In his eyes Jordan is the guy in Kobe's way to being the GOAT...so he will try his best to defame MJ, that's just how it is....:confusedshrug:

SlayerEnraged
01-30-2012, 12:01 AM

Because they were 2 players on my mind? Ur right ISH'ERS drive me nuts. Assumining every threads intended to be a comparison.

Hittin_Shots
01-30-2012, 12:04 AM
Because they were 2 players on my mind? Ur right ISH'ERS drive me nuts. Assumining every threads intended to be a comparison.

Think the general consensus is that threads which are started with a comparison in the op are comparison threads.

32Dayz
01-30-2012, 12:04 AM
Kobe shot 37% from the field in the four 2010 Finals wins.
Jordan > Kobe

/Thread

SlayerEnraged
01-30-2012, 12:09 AM
Think the general consensus is that threads which are started with a comparison in the op are comparison threads.

I wasn't comparing them tho...I gave an example of each on how fg% can make some1 seem like they're doing better than they really are or worse than they really are.

aau
01-30-2012, 12:14 AM
The guy u are arguing with isn't saying that the % isn't worse further out he's saying that they're worth the same amount so it shouldn't matter that they're harder, if it was just as easy to get a 10ft shot as a 16 ft shot people would mostly go for the 10. But arguing that he takes further out shots and that's why he shoots worse in a way to make the player sound better, which is what I think you're doing is just moronic.

but that's not what he's doing

kobe relies more on his jumpshot and because of
that he's going to shoot a lower percentage

dumb or not that's his game and it works

should he change it because a few nons complain

SlayerEnraged
01-30-2012, 12:17 AM
Kobe shot 37% from the field in the four 2010 Finals wins.
Jordan > Kobe

/Thread

Yup Mj's a god himself shootin 41% in the four 1996 nba finals wins as well. Oh and his brilliant 42% in the 4 wins vs the 93 knicks. :rolleyes: I'd rather have someone shoot a low % in wins than a low % in losses because if they won the game who really cares? If they play like garbage and lose the game, it's on them.

comerb
01-30-2012, 12:21 AM

It's because they didn't take so many 3s. eFG% is pretty similar.

Kobe compares more favorably to MJ in eFG%, but he's still a good bit lower.

Nevaeh
01-30-2012, 12:22 AM
I wasn't comparing them tho...I gave an example of each on how fg% can make some1 seem like they're doing better than they really are or worse than they really are.

And who the hell is saying Jordan shot good during that series? When I was younger, if Jordan shot bad, me and my friends would agree that "yes, he played like crap that game" or series, etc, and move on.

You Kobe Stans however, will do whatever it takes to either talk around, or dismiss, or even JUSTIFY a bad shooting game from Kobe. The fact that he has them more often than MJ did, and have bad games that, with a little use of B-Ball IQ from Kobe, can actually be avoided, makes you Stans look even dumber when you try to defend him.

Hittin_Shots
01-30-2012, 12:25 AM

Well can you not see that your first post looks like a comparison? Also i don't see how fg% is misleading it shows how many shots in 100 someone makes. If you are complaining about 3 pt then the efg% or something does that, if it's shot selection than noone forces the player to take tougher shots well except the defender but that shouldn't be used in and argument supporting the player. Your argument seems to be outliers ruin the fg% but those low outlying fg%'s are very bad for the team on that game, u seem to think they shouldnt matter.

bwink23
01-30-2012, 12:30 AM
And who the hell is saying Jordan shot good during that series? When I was younger, if Jordan shot bad, me and my friends would agree that "yes, he played like crap that game" or series, etc, and move on.

You Kobe Stans however, will do whatever it takes to either talk around, or dismiss, or even JUSTIFY a bad shooting game from Kobe. The fact that he has them more often than MJ did, and have bad games that, with a little use of B-Ball IQ from Kobe, can actually be avoided, makes you Stans look even dumber when you try to defend him.

Man you got that right...they simply refuse to admit Kobe has bad shooting games. THERE'S ALWAYS SOMETHING :hammerhead:

Micku
01-30-2012, 12:36 AM

I don't think it's overrated, but it's not the only thing to get a person efficient on the floor. It's a great indication of your shot selection and how often your shots go in. And if you go 6/18, you still missed 12 shots and shooting 33%. That isn't good. That either indicate three things. The defense was good, the player took bad shots, or the player couldn't execute while on defense is on him. Plus it's better to analysis it on a series of games than 1 game, like all stats.

But there other advance stats that will add a value to the point. eFG adds the 3, so that may be better to see how well you do. TS% shows how efficient you are as a overall scorer, with the FT and 3pt combination. But TS% doesn't really show you how well you do on the floor when the defense is on you. Stats have their flaws, but it's good to use a combination of all of them.

But FG%, eFG% or TS% can't really determine who is the better shooter. Hakeem is the better shooter between him and Shaq, but Shaq has a better eFG% and TS% than Hakeem.

The Iron Fist
01-30-2012, 12:54 AM

Theres no need to defend a player who wears a ring on five fingers.

Hittin_Shots
01-30-2012, 01:01 AM

That's all well and good to say but they're quite right that a bunch of Kobe lovers try to defend every bad game he has. That don't need to but they do.

Nevaeh
01-30-2012, 01:13 AM

Then what the hell are you in the thread for? And what the hell does "Fiiiiiivvvvee Riiinngggsss" got to due with topic at hand? Did you know that Magic has "Fiiiiiiiiiiiiveeee Riinggggs " too?

Edit:

I'm sorry, Magic actually has Fiiiiiivvve Rinngggs and a Stature. My Bad :pimp:

SuperPippen
01-30-2012, 01:16 AM

This thread has been very funny to read, but I just wanted to point out how especially idiotic the above comment was.

OP's understanding of basic statistical concepts is so bewilderingly bad, it's hilarious.

Hittin_Shots
01-30-2012, 01:19 AM
This thread has been very funny to read, but I just wanted to point out how especially idiotic the above comment was.

OP's understanding of basic statistical concepts is so bewilderingly bad, it's hilarious.

120% is the new 100% I hear.

Legends66NBA7
01-30-2012, 04:04 AM

It's just the stans, Nev.

Legends66NBA7
01-30-2012, 04:08 AM
:oldlol: Yeah Kobe Bryant is a bad decision maker :lol ok whatever you say basketball genius

Do you even watch Kobe play ?

I've watched every Laker game this year and he still does things that makes me think "Is this guy a rookie ? Why is he taking that shot ? Why isn't he doing this/that ?"

It's always been the case for Kobe with decisions. He's had the talent to overcome making bad decisions, but that's not always the case.

Legends66NBA7
01-30-2012, 04:15 AM

And that had to do more with big men dominating the league, less 3's, and more passing (more assists), which equals to higher % plays for teammates.

Nowdays, there's too much ISO plays, so defense can lock in on a superstar player and their forced to take a tough/bad shot or give it up. Today they shoot more 3's, so the fg% is down more.

I think the old school had the right idea, but today's game has fallen too perimeter happy.

Legends66NBA7
01-30-2012, 04:17 AM

He also convientely left this out:

Regular Season (not including this season)

Games with under 50% shooting:
Michael Jordan: 489
Kobe Bryant: 678

Games with under 48% shooting:
Michael Jordan: 458
Kobe Bryant: 651

Games with under 46% shooting:
Michael Jordan: 388
Kobe Bryant: 578

Games with under 44% shooting:
Michael Jordan: 296
Kobe Bryant: 490

Games with under 42% shooting:
Michael Jordan: 234
Kobe Bryant: 426

Games with under 40% shooting:
Michael Jordan: 158
Kobe Bryant: 344

Games with under 35% shooting:
Michael Jordan: 88
Kobe Bryant: 207

Games with under 30% shooting:
Michael Jordan: 41
Kobe Bryant: 107

Games with 50% or better shooting:
Michael Jordan: 556
Kobe Bryant: 425

Games with 60% or better shooting:
Michael Jordan: 173
Kobe Bryant: 129

That's not minimal at all between those two.

But yes, the difference is minimal. The difference is just 1fga... :oldlol:

Legends66NBA7
01-30-2012, 04:20 AM
And OP got banned. :oldlol:

Oh well Confidence, see you around YouTube, unless your ban gets lifted. :cheers:

Deuce Bigalow
01-30-2012, 04:21 AM
And OP got banned. :oldlol:

Oh well Confidence, see you around YouTube, unless your ban gets lifted. :cheers:
How did he get banned yet 32DaysOnline is still posting?

Legends66NBA7
01-30-2012, 04:22 AM
How did he get banned yet 32DaysOnline is still posting?

Don't know, ask Jeff.