PDA

View Full Version : Real Talk: Dell Demps Is A Rookie GM Who Got Taken To the Cleaners

Soundwave
12-09-2011, 04:52 AM
Dell Demps is a nobody. He's a rookie, naive GM who got himself trapped into a corner with this Chris Paul situation and ended up somehow taking on a package of 30-year-old+ players for a franchise that's supposed to be rebuilding because he didn't want to look bad on the first day of school (training camp).

And some how he engineered a trade where the Hornets end up giving up the best player in the trade, and only end up getting the third best player back (lol).

He got taken advantage of by the more experienced Lakers and Rockets front offices by taking a bag of magic beans.

Stern just intervened when the other owners were outraged at this deal, and honestly they had every reason to be.

Rajon Rondo is the logical trade for the Hornets to make. Or Westbrook. Or hell, even a pair of the Clippers youngsters.

Young, 20-something players that the Hornets can actually work around and be pieces to an actual rebuild. Lamar Odom? Are you kidding me, Demps? At least get Gasol if your goal is to build an expensive 12th seed.

This shouldn't be a controversy because no experienced GM in their right mind would accept this trade in the first place other than Jerry West, who will always look out for the Lakers. Demps was in way over his head, Stern just bailed him out of doing something stupid.

IGOTGAME
12-09-2011, 04:56 AM
you don't know what you are talking about.

please delete thread.

RazorBaLade
12-09-2011, 04:57 AM
How is CP3 for Scola, Martin and Odom a bad trade?

Thats like 60 ****ing points, EVERY night.

Soundwave
12-09-2011, 04:58 AM

please delete thread.

Really. You tell me what Dell Demps has done in the NBA.

How is this guy even running an NBA team at the young age of 40? He has *zero* experience.

As far as I can tell he played like 20 games in the NBA. LOL.

This is a guy who's in way over his head that made a deal at the 11th hour that makes zero sense for the New Orleans franchise.

comerb
12-09-2011, 04:59 AM

please delete thread.

+1

comerb
12-09-2011, 04:59 AM
Really. You tell me what Dell Demps has done in the NBA.

How is this guy even running an NBA team at the young age of 40? He has *zero* experience.

As far as I can tell he played like 20 games in the NBA. LOL.

This is a guy who's in way over his head that made a deal at the 11th hour that makes zero sense for the New Orleans franchise.

Again, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Soundwave
12-09-2011, 05:00 AM

For a REBUILDING team?

You're asking me why taking on a package of players where the youngest one of the group is turning 29 in a month is a bad idea?

If you're going to take back older players, at least take the best one of the bunch (Gasol), lol.

Demps is a nobody, kid GM who got suckered in by the Lakers/Rockets.

Soundwave
12-09-2011, 05:00 AM
Again, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Laker fans bitter because they know it's true. Demps should not have been put in this position to begin with.

You almost got away with ripping off another GM. Too bad Stern put his foot down this time.

How is this guy even a GM in the NBA? He played 20 NBA games like 15 years ago and played in the Phillipines for a while and is barely out of his 30s.

RazorBaLade
12-09-2011, 05:03 AM
For a REBUILDING team?

You're asking me why taking on a package of players where the youngest one of the group is turning 29 in a month is a bad idea?

If you're going to take back older players, at least take the best one of the bunch (Gasol), lol.

What do you mean a rebuilding team? They wouldn't have gotten worse, if anything, it could have very well looked like the Nugs/NY trade where the team that loses the superstar becomes better.

Just because you trade a superstar doesn't mean you're instantly in rebuilding lottery mode and you need young players who will give u 10 years vs a good bunch of guys who can give you 3 and compete for a playoffs spot while you sell the team. Maybe make a few trades or signings and get even better. Why do they need to rebuild from scratch and picks if they can get good all star caliber players right away?

32Dayz
12-09-2011, 05:03 AM
I agree with you however if they dont trade him he will walk so its best if they get whatever they can.

Soundwave
12-09-2011, 05:05 AM
What do you mean a rebuilding team? They wouldn't have gotten worse, if anything, it could have very well looked like the Nugs/NY trade where the team that loses the superstar becomes better.

Just because you trade a superstar doesn't mean you're instantly in rebuilding lottery mode and you need young players who will give u 10 years vs a good bunch of guys who can give you 3 and compete for a playoffs spot while you sell the team. Maybe make a few trades or signings and get even better. Why do they need to rebuild from scratch and picks if they can get good all star caliber players right away?

The Hornets are not going to get a lot of money to spend on UFAs because why should other NBA owners subsidize their spending?

It's obvious the Hornets are going to have to rebuild the old fashioned way.

Does anyone really think Demps is qualified to even be in this position in the first place?

Soundwave
12-09-2011, 05:06 AM
I agree with you however if they dont trade him he will walk so its best if they get whatever they can.

Except they had an offer for a 25-year-old All-Star in Rajon Rondo already. And probably could've gotten Westbrook. Certainly some good young players from the Clippers.

Exactly what team is Dell Demps trying to build here? A shiny 12th seed?

Looking at his complete lack of experience, I think it's fair the question how competent this guy is. I think what happened was he tried to shoot for the moon early, got himself in trouble, then realizing Dec. 9th was coming, he cobbled together this deal with the help of the Lakers and Rockets who were all too happy to help him out to get something done before training camp.

RazorBaLade
12-09-2011, 05:09 AM
The Hornets are not going to get a lot of money to spend on UFAs because why should other NBA owners subsidize their spending?

It's obvious the Hornets are going to have to rebuild the old fashioned way.

Does anyone really think Demps is qualified to even be in this position in the first place?

bullshit. Martin scola odom okafor belli is a pretty good team; much better than cp3 walking or rondo alone who is not as good as cp3 and thus the team will decline instantly. Remember, u CANNOT get someone as good as CP3 back. So u get more players to make up for it... 60 points from Odom/Martin/Scola is PRETTY damn good.

The owners hired him did they not? So do u blame the owners or do u blame him for accepting a job and then doing it as best he can making a deal that satisfies fans of 3 teams?

Walker
12-09-2011, 05:10 AM
Laker fans bitter because they know it's true. Demps should not have been put in this position to begin with.

You almost got away with ripping off another GM. Too bad Stern put his foot down this time.

How is this guy even a GM in the NBA? He played 20 NBA games like 15 years ago and played in the Phillipines for a while and is barely out of his 30s.
And how many NBA games have you played?
How old are you?
Apparently you know more about basketball operations and would be a better GM than Demps...
Yet you're not a GM, you're fat kid in a basement. Opinions are like assholes, and you certainly are a big asshole...

Soundwave
12-09-2011, 05:11 AM
bullshit. Martin scola odom okafor belli is a pretty good team; much better than cp3 walking or rondo alone who is not as good as cp3 and thus the team will decline instantly. Remember, u CANNOT get someone as good as CP3 back. So u get more players to make up for it... 60 points from Odom/Martin/Scola is PRETTY damn good.

The owners hired him did they not? So do u blame the owners or do u blame him for accepting a job and then doing it as best he can making a deal that satisfies fans of 3 teams?

Odom/Scola/Martin is a pretty good group of B-tier, old players.

If you're going to make a trade giving up the best player in the deal at least get the 2nd best player back in return.

Demps couldn't even do that. I'm sure the Lakers and Rockets front offices lit up like a Christmas tree negotiating with this guy because they know how inexperienced he is.

comerb
12-09-2011, 05:11 AM

I'm a Bull's fan, and a Dwayne Wade fan. I hate the Lakers.

comerb
12-09-2011, 05:12 AM
Except they had an offer for a 25-year-old All-Star in Rajon Rondo already. And probably could've gotten Westbrook. Certainly some good young players from the Clippers.

Rondo is a terrible player to build a team around. Terrible. They aren't getting anyone of worth from the Clippers, and they sure as hell weren't going to get Westbrook, because Paul would never agree to an extension to any team other than LA/NY.

Seriously, you're making a fool of yourself.

Soundwave
12-09-2011, 05:14 AM
And how many NBA games have you played?
How old are you?
Apparently you know more about basketball operations and would be a better GM than Demps...
Yet you're not a GM, you're fat kid in a basement. Opinions are like assholes, and you certainly are a big asshole...

:oldlol: OK there.

I'm not applying to run an NBA franchise. You must be the Michael Jordan of Melbourne.

RazorBaLade
12-09-2011, 05:16 AM
Odom/Scola/Martin is a pretty good group of B-tier, old players.

If you're going to make a trade giving up the best player in the deal at least get the 2nd best player back in return.

Demps couldn't even do that. I'm sure the Lakers and Rockets front offices lit up like a Christmas tree negotiating with this guy because they know how inexperienced he is.

So what you're saying is, if you were offered a choice of two deals. Random numbers here btw but my point will be clear.

Deal A: A player who averages 25 points and 5 assists

Deal B: A player who averages 15 pts and 2 ast. Another player who avgs 15 pts and 3 ast. Another player who averages 10 pts and 3 ast.

You will take deal A because he's the best player out of all of them?

Soundwave
12-09-2011, 05:16 AM
Rondo is a terrible player to build a team around. Terrible. They aren't getting anyone of worth from the Clippers, and they sure as hell weren't going to get Westbrook, because Paul would never agree to an extension to any team other than LA/NY.

Seriously, you're making a fool of yourself.

Any decent 25-year-old player (and Rondo is better than decent) is better to rebuild around than a B-tier 30-something group of guys who likely won't even be with your franchise in 2 years time.

You have Rondo, you get a nice high draft pick, get a good player, in 2-3 years you may have a good nucleus of players you can actually do something with.

therammingman
12-09-2011, 05:17 AM

ur an idiot...majority of laker fans on laker forums did not like this deal

Soundwave
12-09-2011, 05:17 AM
So what you're saying is, if you were offered a choice of two deals. Random numbers here btw but my point will be clear.

Deal A: A player who averages 25 points and 5 assists

Deal B: A player who averages 15 pts and 2 ast. Another player who avgs 15 pts and 3 ast. Another player who averages 10 pts and 3 ast.

You will take deal A because he's the best player out of all of them?

Name me five successful GMs that have successfully built good teams taking on the 3rd or 4th best player in a trade.

Do you seriously believe that's a great strategy to building a franchise?

I feel bad for Hornets fans that this guy is their GM. Thank goodness for them Stern intervened on the behalf of upset owners.

Soundwave
12-09-2011, 05:18 AM
ur an idiot...majority of laker fans on laker forums did not like this deal

Shouldn't they be celebrating then? :oldlol:

Why are they so mad?

RazorBaLade
12-09-2011, 05:21 AM
Name me five successful GMs that have successfully built good teams taking on the 3rd or 4th best player in a trade.

Do you seriously believe that's a great strategy to building a franchise?

I feel bad for Hornets fans that this guy is their GM. Thank goodness for them Stern intervened on the behalf of upset owners.

The point is that they didn't have better options.

I mean, if the choice is like Howard or 3 people... yeah I take howard. But rondo and westbrook are not center pieces. They may not even be good enough 2nd options.

If I had the choice between a 2nd/3rd option on a contending team, and a 3rd 4th AND 5th option on a contending team... I would take the 2nd deal every time. Everyone would.

And plenty of GMs agree with me, its why Superstars never get traded for all stars. You take the best option you can get, which is either unloading salary for a signing and picks or you take a supporting cast that you can then make moves with.

Btw, do you think the deal made the Lakers better?

Haymaker
12-09-2011, 05:22 AM
Sounds like a plausible situation.

Soundwave
12-09-2011, 05:24 AM
The point is that they didn't have better options.

I mean, if the choice is like Howard or 3 people... yeah I take howard. But rondo and westbrook are not center pieces. They may not even be good enough 2nd options.

If I had the choice between a 2nd/3rd option on a contending team, and a 3rd 4th AND 5th option on a contending team... I would take the 2nd deal every time. Everyone would.

And plenty of GMs agree with me, its why Superstars never get traded for all stars. You take the best option you can get, which is either unloading salary for a signing and picks or you take a supporting cast that you can then make moves with.

Btw, do you think the deal made the Lakers better?

The Rondo deal is 100x better for a team that is going to have to rebuild through the draft.

The deal New Orleans made makes no sense. If you want to build a team of 30-something players and maybe eek out an 8th seed, then you should be asking for Gasol, not Odom. Why are you giving up the best player in the trade to get the third best player back?

This is a classic case of a GM (a young one at that) getting suckered by a bag of magic beans at the 11th hour.

Did the deal make the Lakers better? Maybe. I don't know what they were planning to do afterwards so it's difficult to gauge.

RazorBaLade
12-09-2011, 05:27 AM
The Rondo deal is 100x better for a team that is going to have to rebuild through the draft.

The deal New Orleans made makes no sense. If you want to build a team of 30-something players and maybe eek out an 8th seed, then you should be asking for Gasol, not Odom. Why are you giving up the best player in the trade to get the third best player back?

This is a classic case of a GM (a young one at that) getting suckered by a bag of magic beans at the 11th hour.

Did the deal make the Lakers better? Maybe. I don't know what they were planning to do afterwards so it's difficult to gauge.

But no. You're taking a 2nd option on a good team over a 3rd,4th and 5th option on a good team. Scola and martin are not going anywhere in 2-3 years. they combine for 40 pts man. That is soooo much better than rondo who can't score but is amazing at passing to good players (which the hornets don't have).

So I just don't see why you'd take rondo. Either way though, who is to say we wouldn't have sweetened the deal? According to the information we know, the league did not allow any negiotating to continue. They just said NO.

Soundwave
12-09-2011, 05:29 AM
But no. You're taking a 2nd option on a good team over a 3rd,4th and 5th option on a good team. Scola and martin are not going anywhere in 2-3 years. they combine for 40 pts man. That is soooo much better than rondo who can't score but is amazing at passing to good players (which the hornets don't have).

So I just don't see why you'd take rondo. Either way though, who is to say we wouldn't have sweetened the deal? According to the information we know, the league did not allow any negiotating to continue. They just said NO.

The NBA is right. Name me one franchise that has successfully built anything on the template Dell freaking Demps was trying to work with (take on a bunch of 30-year-old role players).

He should honestly be relieved of his duties for the sake of the New Orleans franchise. New Orleans deserves better than that crap.

hawkfan
12-09-2011, 05:32 AM

It wasn't a great trade, but it wasn't horrible. No superstars but 3 very solid players and a draft pick, and kept Okafor. So 4 guys that can give you 75-80 points per night. Very solid.

Feel bad for Dell Demps - even if you don't like the trade, he gave his best as a GM for the Hornets and tried to get value in return.

Soundwave
12-09-2011, 05:34 AM
It wasn't a great trade, but it wasn't horrible. No superstars but 3 very solid players and a draft pick, and kept Okafor. So 4 guys that can give you 75-80 points per night. Very solid.

Feel bad for Dell Demps - even if you don't like the trade, he gave his best as a GM for the Hornets and tried to get value in return.

I don't doubt Dell Demps didn't "try" hard.

By "trying" doesn't always mean you're doing a good job. There's a big difference between the two.

I think he was desperate to make a deal before tomorrow and ran out of options.

A more experienced GM would not have let it get to this point period.

RazorBaLade
12-09-2011, 05:35 AM
The NBA is right. Name me one franchise that has successfully built anything on the template Dell freaking Demps was trying to work with (take on a bunch of 30-year-old role players).

He should honestly be relieved of his duties for the sake of the New Orleans franchise. New Orleans deserves better than that crap.

idk if ur trolling or not at this point but memphis is a successful franchise that gave away a star in Pau gasol for money and draft picks which led to them getting marc gasol and building their current team instead of trading him for an established all star.

the nuggets have been pretty successful so far trading melo away for role players.

hawkfan
12-09-2011, 05:36 AM
I don't doubt Dell Demps didn't "try" hard.

By "trying" doesn't always mean you're doing a good job. There's a big difference between the two.

I think he was desperate to make a deal before tomorrow and ran out of options.

A more experienced GM would not have let it get to this point period.

Well he could have dragged it out the way the Nuggets did with Carmelo. Which was not a good option.

I think he did his best given the circumstances.

Soundwave
12-09-2011, 05:37 AM
idk if ur trolling or not at this point but memphis is a successful franchise that gave away a star in Pau gasol for money and draft picks which led to them getting marc gasol and building their current team instead of trading him for an established all star.

Yeah, and which young prospect were the Hornets getting back in this package?

Because that would make sense right? Trading a disgruntled player in exchange for young players and picks to retool with.

The Marc Gasol thing doesn't really strengthen Dell Demps' case here.

One of the issues I think the NBA honestly has is there's too many weak minded GMs that are probably in positions they have business being in. A lot of the lock out issues are really masking that point.

RazorBaLade
12-09-2011, 05:39 AM
Yeah, and which young prospect were the Hornets getting back in this package?

The Marc Gasol thing doesn't really strength Dell Demps' case here.

They are getting role players. Marc is a role player. What is the difference if he's 22 or 28? Scola is still fresh and Euro finesse guys have the stamina. And scola is way better than Marc.

Memphis is an example of a team that lost a superstar for role players and are a successful team.

eliteballer
12-09-2011, 05:39 AM
Your trashy jealousy will come back to bite you in the ass, because karmas a b!tch:mad:

Soundwave
12-09-2011, 05:43 AM
They are getting role players. Marc is a role player. What is the difference if he's 22 or 28? Scola is still fresh and Euro finesse guys have the stamina. And scola is way better than Marc.

Memphis is an example of a team that lost a superstar for role players and are a successful team.

First off, Scola is 31 years old, not 28. The youngest player the Hornets are getting back in this "package" is Martin, who's one month away from turning 29 years old.

22, 31, hell 40 ... what's the difference right?

Hornets should be happy they're getting anyone with a pulse back.

eliteballer
12-09-2011, 05:46 AM
Dont bother arguing with this chump. He's been hating on the Lakers since he signed up

RazorBaLade
12-09-2011, 05:47 AM
First off, Scola is 31 years old, not 28. The youngest player the Hornets are getting back in this "package" is Martin, who's one month away from turning 29 years old.

22, 31, hell 40 ... what's the difference right?

Hornets should be happy they're getting anyone with a pulse back.

It's also about minutes played though. They are both still in their prime minutes wise.

So what we have is NO getting 3 role players , 2 in prime with a few years left, 1 about to leave prime. Not bad. Again, memphis is just an example of how teams went for role players instead of stars and did well.

Soundwave
Nah I'm pretty used to Laker fans stomping their feet and resorting to things like calling names and even threatening karma curses ( :oldlol: ) when someone decides to have an opposing view.

It's kinda funny, it's totally like seeing a spoiled kid throw a temper tantrum when they don't get what they want.

abuC
Great post, and atleast taking back Rondo and Green would mean you probably end up in the high lottery this year with a chance to trade Green for late first rounder. That Odom, Martin, Scola trio would get you 40-43 wins and into the second half of the lottery, which is a terrible place to be.

Soundwave
12-09-2011, 05:51 AM
Great post, and atleast taking back Rondo and Green would mean you probably end up in the high lottery this year with a chance to trade Green for late first rounder. That Odom, Martin, Scola trio would get you 40-43 wins and into the second half of the lottery, which is a terrible place to be.

Exactly, when you look objectively at this trade, it makes no sense.

Even if your goal was to assemble a team of 30-year-olds to eek into respectability some how, why are you giving up the best player in the trade and not taking back at least the "good" 30-year-old (Gasol).

I'm just looking at Dell Demps' resume and offering a potential reason why this whole mess got as far as it did. I don't think a more veteran GM would've even gotten themselves in this bad of a position.

Even when Jerry West "bailed" the Lakers out, at least they got back one good young prospect (Marc Gasol). The Hornets were getting *nothing* in that respect.

SYM86
12-09-2011, 05:56 AM
I personally think it's a bad trade for the lakers and especially the rockets.

lakers lose 2 7 footers for CP3? it's not worth it.

rocket gave up martin and scola, 2 very solid players, for gasol?

it's a good trade for hornets, all they gave up is freaking CP3 that doesnt want to play for New Orlean, and recently came off the injury list.

chazzy
12-09-2011, 05:57 AM
Stop repeating the same thing all night. You're in the minority, everyone in the media and reportedly several GMs were giving Demps props for bringing in that type of talent in this deal. Who says they have to keep everyone? They could've easily flipped some of those players in a package for younger talent and/or picks. Scola, Kmart, Dragic, Odom, and picks is clearly worse than having just Rondo?

The Hornets HAD to trade Paul and the rest of the league knew it. That alone lowers the value you'll get back in a trade.

Soundwave
12-09-2011, 05:58 AM
Stop repeating the same thing all night. You're in the minority, everyone in the media and reportedly several GMs were giving Demps props for bringing in that type of talent in this deal. Who says they have to keep everyone? They could've easily flipped some of those players in a package for younger talent and/or picks. Scola, Kmart, Dragic, Odom, and picks is clearly worse than having just Rondo?

In the context of a rebuilding team ... yes. It's worse.

You can't rebuild around a bunch of 30-year-old role players. I don't care how many of them you stack together. Unless you're building a team tailor made for mediocrity.

And asking the other NBA owners to foot the bill on that farce of a return is the straw that finally broke the camel's back.

devin112
12-09-2011, 06:04 AM
For a REBUILDING team?

When I think "rebuilding" the first few names I think of is Odom and Scola... haha. "rebuilding" doesn't involve taking on higher salaries, longer commitments and get older? well that's news to me!

Soundwave
12-09-2011, 06:05 AM
When I think "rebuilding" the first few names I think of is Odom and Scola... haha. "rebuilding" doesn't involve taking on higher salaries, longer commitments and get older? well that's news to me!

Sure, if you're getting back say a ... Marc Gasol. At least some kind of prospect. Which wasn't the case here.

chazzy
12-09-2011, 06:06 AM
In the context of a rebuilding team ... yes. It's worse.

You can't rebuild around a bunch of 30-year-old role players. I don't care how many of them you stack together. Unless you're building a team tailor made for mediocrity.

And asking the other NBA owners to foot the bill on that farce of a return is the straw that finally broke the camel's back.
Shutup dude, it's like you enjoy repeating yourself. I already said they didn't have to keep all of those players and could've easily packaged them for other deals. Just bringing in that much talent was a success in itself, it doesn't mean it had to end there. They asked for Gordon. Rejected because of no assurance from Paul. They asked for Curry, rejected for the same reason. They didn't have many viable options and your fascination with Rondo doesn't carry over with the rest of the league. He's not nearly as coveted as you think.

JohnnyWall
12-09-2011, 06:10 AM
If the veto was due to the trade being unfair to New Orleans, they wouldn't have completely nixed the deal. They'd come back to LA and ask for more in the trade. But instead, Stern vetoes it and stops the negotiations completely. It's pretty obvious this is less about what New Orleans (doesn't) get, and more about what the Lakers get.

JustinJDW
12-09-2011, 06:13 AM
I think it was a mediocre trade for all three teams involved, but I though the Hornets made out the best. Houston got raped. What the hell were they thinking? Its like they wanted to be in the trade for shits and giggles.

But still...

"The Celtics have relentlessly pursued Paul and have presented the Hornets with as many as eight different scenarios that would bring them some combination of Rondo, Jeff Green, two future No. 1 picks and additional talent from third teams, sources said."

If I was Demps, I would have been far more interested in working on this then trying to get guys you can't rebuild with like Scola and Odom. Rondo and Jeff Green are perfectly good players to start over with. Perfectly good. Not to mention the 1st round picks. Really don't understand what happened here...

Lakers offer was not the best one by far.

devin112
12-09-2011, 06:15 AM
I'd rather let Paul walk and use the cap space next year then take on extra years, salaries, and get older with players who won't sell any tickets and increase sales. That's not how you rebuild.

Gotta take your medicine, suck, and build through draft.

One of my buddies said the draft is a gamble, yeah but scola and odom are for sure mediocre. Martin is cool.

Even if you have to get reamed on a trade at least trade for players who'll sell tickets. They don't have to be great, just exciting young players.

lilgodfather1
12-09-2011, 06:24 AM
Hornets fans have go be kissing Stern's shoes right about now for saving them from the treadmill of mediocrity. Demps is obviously not sane, that deal was trash for everyone but the Lakers, and even the Lakers didn't get that good of a deal. I mean yeah they get a superstar, but then the team becomes CP3, Kobe, and Bynum who will play half the season and miss the playoffs. The Lakers get the best player, and they would be the best team, but they would be a worse team than currently constructed.

As for NOH, man bullet officially dodged. That deal was trash for them. Three players who are only going to fu$$ up your chances at the first overall pick.

Houston, if they were able to sign Nene than I think the trade was a wash for them. They would have a good FC, but that is about it. I know TWill is mad lol.

Still the reason that this did not go through is because then LAL gets Dwight and it doesn't matter that they have no other players. The team would have three top 5 players on it, and kiss the next 3 championships good bye. Then finally when Kobe is pretty much out of the picture because of age they trade his expiring for Blake Griffin and Eric Gordon. The NBA where collusion happens.

R.I.P.
12-09-2011, 06:52 AM
He didn

R.I.P.
12-09-2011, 06:58 AM
Hornets fans have go be kissing Stern's shoes right about now for saving them from the treadmill of mediocrity.

Why does everyone have to be a title contender. For a team like the Hornets to be a solid play-off contender is pretty good. Some teams are in this awesome rebuilding mode for 10 years now. It

Soundwave
12-09-2011, 07:00 AM
[QUOTE=R.I.P.]He didn

MaxFly
12-09-2011, 07:30 AM
Dell Demps is a nobody. He's a rookie, naive GM who got himself trapped into a corner with this Chris Paul situation and ended up somehow taking on a package of 30-year-old+ players for a franchise that's supposed to be rebuilding because he didn't want to look bad on the first day of school (training camp).

And some how he engineered a trade where the Hornets end up giving up the best player in the trade, and only end up getting the third best player back (lol).

He got taken advantage of by the more experienced Lakers and Rockets front offices by taking a bag of magic beans.

Stern just intervened when the other owners were outraged at this deal, and honestly they had every reason to be.

Rajon Rondo is the logical trade for the Hornets to make. Or Westbrook. Or hell, even a pair of the Clippers youngsters.

Young, 20-something players that the Hornets can actually work around and be pieces to an actual rebuild. Lamar Odom? Are you kidding me, Demps? At least get Gasol if your goal is to build an expensive 12th seed.

This shouldn't be a controversy because no experienced GM in their right mind would accept this trade in the first place other than Jerry West, who will always look out for the Lakers. Demps was in way over his head, Stern just bailed him out of doing something stupid.

Chris Paul has no intention of playing long term with the Celtics or Clippers, or even the Hornets for that matter. Those teams can go ahead and do that trade, but then when he walks and joins the Knicks and the teams get back nothing, no one will be surprised. Good luck explaining to Celts fans why we lost Rondo for nothing. :facepalm

themurph
12-09-2011, 07:33 AM

Remind me not to hire u as a GM....This is a silly, uninformed post....

Soundwave
12-09-2011, 07:35 AM
Chris Paul has no intention of playing long term with the Celtics or Clippers, or even the Hornets for that matter. Those teams can go ahead and do that trade, but then when he walks and joins the Knicks and the teams get back nothing, no one will be surprised. Good luck explaining to Celts fans why we lost Rondo for nothing. :facepalm

Honestly some of this is extreme immaturity on the players part. There is no "Laker mystique" other than Kobe Bryant's rickity 33-year-old knees.

The Clippers is a perfectly good situation to be in with a legit budding superstar in Griffin to team up with. In the long term that very easily could be the better situation for Paul.

Players need to stop acting vetoing perfectly damn good situations. Like Chris Webber not wanting Sacramento even though he by far had the most success in his career there (because those teams in Washington were so dominant, lol). He says in hindsight he was of course wrong to feel that way.

I mean seriously guys. Grow up. Honor your contract. If you absolutely must demand a trade, then don't be a total dick about it. Even LeBron played out his full contract and then took far less money to go to Miami. So he literally put his money where he mouth is ... this whole situation is ridiculous. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

R.I.P.
12-09-2011, 07:41 AM

The Knicks don

MaxFly
12-09-2011, 08:04 AM
Honestly some of this is extreme immaturity on the players part. There is no "Laker mystique" other than Kobe Bryant's rickity 33-year-old knees.

The Clippers is a perfectly good situation to be in with a legit budding superstar in Griffin to team up with. In the long term that very easily could be the better situation for Paul.

Players need to stop acting vetoing perfectly damn good situations. Like Chris Webber not wanting Sacramento even though he by far had the most success in his career there (because those teams in Washington were so dominant, lol). He says in hindsight he was of course wrong to feel that way.

I mean seriously guys. Grow up. Honor your contract. If you absolutely must demand a trade, then don't be a total dick about it. Even LeBron played out his full contract and then took far less money to go to Miami. So he literally put his money where he mouth is ... this whole situation is ridiculous. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

So we're blaming Chris Paul now...

This isn't really about Chris Paul demanding a trade. Understand the situation... he has yet to sign an extension. Most teams will not touch him unless they are certain he will sign that extension with them. Unless your team is in rebuilding mode, you're not going to gut your roster to take on a player who will play 66 games and then move on. There are only a few teams he will sign an extension for, and he is perfectly justified in saying that. NO can trade him to any team they see fit. The real obstacle is that other teams are extremely wary of taking him on and doing damage to their roster if he's not going to remain with that team long term.

Incidentally, it's always funny when I hear NBA fans complain about players not honoring their contracts. Does that go for the front offices as well? If a player is in his second year of a 5 year contract and the GM is able to move him, against that player's will, in a great deal that would be beneficial to that team but not necessarily for that player, should the GM then hold back and say, "Well, I would do this deal, but he signed a contract with us and we signed a contract with him, so we need to honor this contract that both parties have committed to." Let's be real... the system is set up the way it is so that there can be player movement and so that the players who have been in the league for some time can have a say in where they go. CP3 has put in 6 years for the Hornets, and because of the way his contract was structured and how this situation has unfolded, he finds himself with some leverage in determining where he will play next. This isn't about him throwing a temper tantrum and demanding a trade. It's really about NO looking to move him before they lose him for nothing.

Soundwave
12-09-2011, 08:06 AM
So we're blaming Chris Paul now...

This isn't really about Chris Paul demanding a trade. Understand the situation... he has yet to sign an extension. Most teams will not touch him unless they are certain he will sign that extension with them. Unless your team is in rebuilding mode, you're not going to gut your roster to take on a player who will play 66 games and then move on. There are only a few teams he will sign an extension for, and he is perfectly justified in saying that. NO can trade him to any team they see fit. The real obstacle is that other teams are extremely wary of taking him on and doing damage to their roster if he's not going to remain with that team long term.

Incidentally, it's always funny when I hear NBA fans complain about players not honoring their contracts. Does that go for the front offices as well? If a player is in his second year of a 5 year contract and the GM is able to move him, against that player's will, in a great deal that would be beneficial to that team but not necessarily for that player, should the GM then hold back and say, "Well, I would do this deal, but he signed a contract with us and we signed a contract with him, so we need to honor this contract that both parties have committed to." Let's be real... the system is set up the way it is so that there can be player movement and so that the players who have been in the league for some time can have a say in where they go. CP3 has put in 6 years for the Hornets, and because of the way his contract was structured and how this situation has unfolded, he finds himself with some leverage in determining where he will play next. This isn't about him throwing a temper tantrum and demanding a trade. It's really about NO looking to move him before they lose him for nothing.

If you're going to "demand" a trade out, then stop whining and crying when you're not getting the *exact* location you want to in and turning down perfectly good, viable deals (like say the Clippers).

That is where it gets ridiculous. There's no provision in your contract or in the CBA which allows for that.

If you want only one location, then be a man, suck it up, and do it through free agency.

themurph
12-09-2011, 08:16 AM
If you're going to "demand" a trade out, then stop whining and crying when you're not getting the *exact* location you want to in and turning down perfectly good, viable deals (like say the Clippers).

That is where it gets ridiculous. There's no provision in your contract or in the CBA which allows for that.

If you want only one location, then be a man, suck it up, and do it through free agency.

For the 100th million time, Paul has not demanded a trade...He has told New Orleans that he is not re-upping with them next season...Which in turn forces their hand to trade him, just like in any other sports league...Also, LA wasn't even his choice...He wanted to go to the Knicks....

The Hornets made a very good deal....This is about the Hornets protecting themselves....But since they are owned by the NBA (which should have never happened) the whole thing is f#cked...

R.I.P.
12-09-2011, 08:21 AM
For the 100th million time, Paul has not demanded a trade...He has told New Orleans that he is not re-upping with them next season...Which in turn forces their hand to trade him, just like in any other sports league...Also, LA wasn't even his choice...He wanted to go to the Knicks....

The Hornets made a very good deal....This is about the Hornets protecting themselves....But since they are owned by the NBA (which should have never happened) the whole thing is f#cked...

Wait didn

themurph
12-09-2011, 08:29 AM
[QUOTE=R.I.P.]Wait didn

Soundwave
12-09-2011, 08:33 AM
This is what Paul did...he told New Orleans I will play out the rest of the season...But I'm not resigning with u...He mentioned New York as a team he is interested in...But he didn't "force" himself out...He was willing to play the full season....He basically offered New Orleans a way to cover their ass....And guess what? They did...

Unfortunately, Dan Gilbert (and the other small market owners following him) are bi%ches....

Bullsh-t, Paul knows damn well if he walks as a free agent he could lose a ton of money by losing his Bird rights.

At least New Orleans gets pure cap room in that case. So it's not even like the Hornets get "nothing", cap room in the new CBA will be a big asset in and of itself.

Paul gains nothing. He can go sign in LA or NY for the MLE in that case. I'm sure he'd love that.

themurph
12-09-2011, 08:38 AM
Bullsh-t, Paul knows damn well if he walks as a free agent he could lose a ton of money by losing his Bird rights.

At least New Orleans gets pure cap room in that case. So it's not even like the Hornets get "nothing", cap room in the new CBA will be a big asset in and of itself.

Paul gains nothing. He can go sign in LA or NY for the MLE in that case. I'm sure he'd love that.

Nah...this is how it works...You have leverage as a player when you know u can sign or re-sign next season...Teams want to get something of value for their player because he is allowed to leave them when his contract is up...Paul is doing nothing wrong...At all...He was willing to play the season...Now with the NBA stepping in the sh*t, it makes the whole thing even more complex and seriously flawed...

brownmamba00
12-09-2011, 08:39 AM

Dude shut up. You obviously have no idea what's going on right now. You're just jumping to conclusions.

Are you really that stupid to not see the Hornets did a great job recruiting talent for Paul instead of just let him walk for nothing in return.

With Scola&co you have a team that is gonna force that 8th seed and get to the playoffs ATLEAST. This keeps the Hornets fanbase happy aswell instead of a year full of CP3 drama.

Also CP3 did not request a trade. He just told the Hornets he's not resigning there but is willing to play his contract out. He did the franchise a favor if anything instead of pulling a lebron

Soundwave
12-09-2011, 08:40 AM
Dude shut up. You obviously have no idea what's going on right now. You're just jumping to conclusions.

Are you really that stupid to not see the Hornets did a great job recruiting talent for Paul instead of just let him walk for nothing in return.

With Scola&co you have a team that is gonna force that 8th seed and get to the playoffs ATLEAST. This keeps the Hornets fanbase happy aswell instead of a year full of CP3 drama.

I don't agree that's an 8th seed. It's more likely a team that's going to ruin their draft position for dick all.

Swap Gasol with Odom and maybe.

NLZ
12-09-2011, 08:41 AM
Laughing so much right now at this Soundwave person, sad case.

bagelred
12-09-2011, 08:41 AM
Even without the pressure to move Chris Paul, wouldn't every GM consider taking Martin, Scola, and Odom for Paul? Those 3 are all borderline All Stars for a midget PG with a bad knee.

Demps was doing just fine.

themurph
12-09-2011, 08:43 AM

Also CP3 did not request a trade. He just told the Hornets he's not resigning there but is willing to play his contract out. He did the franchise a favor if anything instead of pulling a lebron

This is what people don't understand....Paul basically told his team AHEAD OF TIME that he wasn't re-upping to give them a chance to make a trade, rather than leave them high and dry......He basically did the right thing...This is something he didn't have to do...

R.I.P.
12-09-2011, 08:44 AM
Man some people are truly delusional. All rough estimates...

If Paul is traded to the Lakers

5 year deal 100 million dollars.

If Paul signs a FA max deal with new team (probably Boston or Dallas)

4 year deal 70-75 million dollars.

If Paul signs a FA MLE deal (Knicks, Lakers, Heat)

5 years 35 million dollars.

Yeah I

MaxFly
12-09-2011, 08:45 AM

Chris Paul would not stay with the Clippers... he will not sign an extension there. He actually doesn't need to say anything at all, but by actually noting the teams he would sign an extension with, he's doing other teams a favor. The Clippers could go ahead and gut their roster to pick him up this season, but they will see him for 66+ games and then he will leave. It's much better for a player to say, "I will not sign an extension there" than to remain silent or mislead a team, have that team trade from him, and then notify them in July of 2012 that he will not be signing that extension.

There is no provision in a player's contract or in the CBA which allows a player to demand where he will go, but the way contracts are structured and common sense does give them leverage when a circumstance like Chris Paul's arises. He's in the last year of his contract. He either becomes a free agent next year or he can sign an extension with NO or with a team he will want to remain with if traded. Why would any team gut their roster and trade for him if there are no guarantees that he will sign an extension with them? Paul's leverage comes from the fact that he has an extension attached to his contract that he either will or will not sign based on the team he is with. The CBA and his contract have given him that leverage.

If he does go in free agency, it would be the worst thing NO could let happen (not to mention that it would be a poor financial decision on his part). But back to NO... they'd lose their star and get nothing in return. All the complaints that NO got shafted by the Lakers in this trade would be trumped by the fact that they lost Chris Paul for nothing.

themurph
12-09-2011, 08:48 AM
[QUOTE=R.I.P.]Man some people are truly delusional. All rough estimates...

If Paul is traded to the Lakers

5 year deal 100 million dollars.

If Paul signs a FA max deal with new team (probably Boston or Dallas)

4 year deal 70-75 million dollars.

If Paul signs a FA MLE deal (Knicks, Lakers, Heat)

5 years 35 million dollars.

Yeah I

Soundwave
12-09-2011, 08:48 AM
Chris Paul would not stay with the Clippers... he will not sign an extension there. He actually doesn't need to say anything at all, but by actually noting the teams he would sign an extension with, he's doing other teams a favor. The Clippers could go ahead and gut their roster to pick him up this season, but they will see him for 66+ games and then he will leave. It's much better for a player to say, "I will not sign an extension there" than to remain silent or mislead a team, have that team trade from him, and then notify them in July of 2012 that he will not be signing that extension.

There is no provision in a player's contract or in the CBA which allows a player to demand where he will go, but the way contracts are structured and common sense does give them leverage when a circumstance like Chris Paul's arises. He's in the last year of his contract. He either becomes a free agent next year or he can sign an extension with NO or with a team he will want to remain with if traded. Why would any team gut their roster and trade for him if there are no guarantees that he will sign an extension with them? Paul's leverage comes from the fact that he has an extension attached to his contract that he either will or will not sign based on the team he is with. The CBA and his contract have given him that leverage.

If he does go in free agency, it would be the worst thing NO could let happen. They'd lose their star and get nothing in return. All the complaints that NO got shafted by the Lakers in this trade would be trumped by the fact that they lost Chris Paul for nothing.

What's so bad about the Clippers? They actually have a star player that Paul could do some real damage with for the next 5-10 years.

It's all fluff and marketing, these players get caught up in it. If Chris Paul was smart he'd be amicable about the situation and accept the deal to Clipper land.

If wants all the perks of a UFA, then he should wait and become a UFA, but as shown above we can see why he would not want that.

"Nothing" is a relative term too, the Hornets would get a ton of cap room which is going to be like water in the desert under this new CBA (look at the NHL post lock-out ... strict caps are no joke). This scenario had them going pretty much into the luxury tax (which other owners were going to have to foot the bill on) for a team full of 30-year-olds.

MaxFly
12-09-2011, 08:50 AM
U r vastly overplaying this...It's simple...Paul tells New Orleans that he is willing to play out his contract but will not be re-upping with them next season...He tells this because 1) he doesn't want the team to get burned like Cleveland did and 2) he wants the chance to get the best deal possible...

It's really simple...

The best deal possible for Chris Paul would be to get traded this season. He likely won't see the same kind of money in free agency that he would see signing an extension with a team.

themurph
12-09-2011, 08:52 AM
The best deal possible for Chris Paul would be to get traded this season. He likely won't see the same kind of money in free agency that he would see signing an extension with a team.

Indeed...and NO has the right to keep him for this season...Paul does not have the right to demand a trade...And guess what? He isn't demanding a trade...

However, by keeping a player they know they can't re-sign, that's a horrible business move....

And this^^^^is the issue...

Soundwave
12-09-2011, 08:54 AM
Indeed...and NO has the right to keep him for this season...Paul does not have the right to demand a trade...And guess what? He isn't....

However, bu keeping a player they know they can't re-sign, that's a horrible business move....

Going near the luxury tax for a team full B-tier 30-year-olds and asking the rest of the NBA to pay the tab is great business?

I think actually in the CBA letting a player walk for 100% pure cap relief is going to become the best move for a lot of teams.

themurph
12-09-2011, 08:59 AM
Going near the luxury tax for a team full B-tier 30-year-olds and asking the rest of the NBA to pay the tab is great business?

I think actually in the CBA letting a player walk for 100% pure cap relief is going to become the best move for a lot of teams.

I trust the opinions of GM's and sports writers that have been in the NBA for years over an online poster anytime...And they are all saying it was a more than respectable deal...

This cannot be refuted...NO made a GOOD deal...They basically traded their all-star PG with a bad knee for two bonafied scores (you are vastly overplaying the age angle with Kevin Martin and Scolla...those guys are still in their prime years...) and a six man of the year LAST SEASON and a good back-up player AND a draft pick...

In what world is that a bad trade? Unless you are uninformed or know nothing about basketball...

Soundwave
12-09-2011, 09:03 AM
I trust the opinions of GM's and sports writers that have been in the NBA for years over an online poster anytime...And they are all saying it was a more than respectable deal...

This cannot be refuted...NO made a GOOD deal...They basically traded their all-star PG with a bad knee for two bonafied scores (you are vastly overplaying the age angle with Kevin Martin and Scolla...those guys are still in their prime years...) and a six man of the year LAST SEASON and a good back-up player AND a draft pick...

In what world is that a bad trade? Unless you are uninformed or know nothing about basketball...

If so many GMs were thrilled about this trade it wouldn't have been vetoed, lol.

Stern works for the owners. No ifs, ands, or buts.

MaxFly
12-09-2011, 09:10 AM
What's so bad about the Clippers? They actually have a star player that Paul could do some real damage with for the next 5-10 years.

Chris Paul doesn't want to play there for the duration of his prime. They have a notoriously cheap owner, and while they have had some great pieces over the years, they haven't managed to make anything of it. They would have to gut their roster to get Paul, and while they would be a good team for the next 5 years, they likely wouldn't be a contender. It's the same reason Dwight Howard and virtually no other star player is looking to angle for a trade to the Clippers. Lol, when was the last time a player said "Yeah, I'm trying to go to the Clippers" or a rookie said, "Being drafted by the Clippers is a dream come true. I've always wanted to play for them... the legacy, the winning tradition." :oldlol:

It's all fluff and marketing, these players get caught up in it. If Chris Paul was smart he'd be amicable about the situation and accept the deal to Clipper land.

If wants all the perks of a UFA, then he should wait and become a UFA, but as shown above we can see why he would not want that.

Yeah, I don't see a problem with him wanting the best for himself given the situation. If NO could flip him to a team and get a great return, but leave him stuck playing with a team he didn't want to play for, they'd likely do it. In fact, most teams in the league would... and most of them would call it a "business decision." Chris Paul is making a career and business decision in seeking what's best for himself after playing 6 years for the Hornets. I can't fault him for that, nor can fault NO for reading the landscape and looking to move him.

"Nothing" is a relative term too, the Hornets would get a ton of cap room which is going to be like water in the desert under this new CBA (look at the NHL post lock-out ... strict caps are no joke). This scenario had them going pretty much into the luxury tax (which other owners were going to have to foot the bill on) for a team full of 30-year-olds.

Yes, NO is well under the cap presently, and would be well under the cap when CP3 leaves. However, how many great players do you think will be willing to sign there given this recent debacle. It's obvious that the league is simply holding the Hornets as they look for a buyer. There is no intention to spend the money to create a team that can even moderately compete. As long as the league owns the team, the team is hamstrung, and any great player with a modicum of common sense will see that.

MaxFly
12-09-2011, 09:12 AM
Indeed...and NO has the right to keep him for this season...Paul does not have the right to demand a trade...And guess what? He isn't demanding a trade...

However, by keeping a player they know they can't re-sign, that's a horrible business move....

Exactly... the only reason NO is even contemplating moving him is because they know they will lose out in the long run.

Soundwave
12-09-2011, 09:14 AM
Chris Paul doesn't want to play there for the duration of his prime. They have a notoriously cheap owner, and while they have had some great pieces over the years, they haven't managed to make anything of it. They would have to gut their roster to get Paul, and while they would be a good team for the next 5 years, they likely wouldn't be a contender. It's the same reason Dwight Howard and virtually no other star player is looking to angle for a trade to the Clippers. Lol, when was the last time a player said "Yeah, I'm trying to go to the Clippers" or a rookie said, "Being drafted by the Clippers is a dream come true. I've always wanted to play for them... the legacy, the winning tradition." :oldlol:

Yeah, I don't see a problem with him wanting the best for himself given the situation. If NO could flip him to a team and get a great return, but leave him stuck playing with a team he didn't want to play for, they'd likely do it. In fact, most teams in the league would... and most of them would call it a "business decision." Chris Paul is making a career and business decision in seeking what's best for himself after playing 6 years for the Hornets. I can't fault him for that, nor can fault NO for reading the landscape and looking to move him.

Yes, NO is well under the cap presently, and would be well under the cap when CP3 leaves. However, how many great players do you think will be willing to sign there given this recent debacle. It's obvious that the league is simply holding the Hornets as they look for a buyer. There is no intention to spend the money to create a team that can even moderately compete. As long as the league owns the team, the team is hamstrung, and any great player with a modicum of common sense will see that.

So can you explain to me why this GM is making deals that take the Hornets into luxury tax territory? That's makes sense to you?

themurph
12-09-2011, 09:16 AM
If so many GMs were thrilled about this trade it wouldn't have been vetoed, lol.

Stern works for the owners. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Again, no disrespect....But you are uninformed...It's already been reported that a lot of the GM's in the league had applauded the deal...In fact, when Stern's people tried to make it out that it was a basketball issue, it was laughed out of the room...The issue has never been the GM's...

It's the small market OWNERS taking a questionable stand....

themurph
12-09-2011, 09:25 AM
So can you explain to me why this GM is making deals that take the Hornets into luxury tax territory? That's makes sense to you?

Jesus...do you read backwards...He already explained it to u...They were not concerned with the luxury tax since it would have been tough to attract talent to New Orleans in the first place given their current issues...And Stern wasn't worried about tax issues either...

This is all about Gilbert and a few other owners balking at a deal for all the wrong reasons...And its hurting the NBA...

Soundwave
12-09-2011, 09:28 AM
Again, no disrespect....But you are uninformed...It's already been reported that a lot of the GM's in the league had applauded the deal...In fact, when Stern's people tried to make it out that it was a basketball issue, it was laughed out of the room...The issue has never been the GM's...

It's the small market OWNERS taking a questionable stand....

Right because Mark Cuban is a small market owner.

And because New York, Miami, Chicago, etc. were thrilled with this trade.

If you want to believe that, lol, go right ahead.

Dasher
12-09-2011, 09:30 AM
Eh taking a core of a 9th seed and putting it together with Odom and Okafor would be a very solid team. They could threaten for the 7-8th seed. The revenue from a couple of playoff games is often the difference between profits and losses for sports teams. Individually the players gained have value, and manageable contracts that can be moved.

PG.Dragic
SG.Martin
SF.Ariza/Odom
PF.Scola/Odom
C.Okafor/Odom

Is a really good passing lineup that will put up some points and cause matchup problems, and if the wins aren't coming Odom, Scola, Okafor, Martin, and even Ariza can be moved at the deadline for picks and/or players still on their rookie deals. Demps actually did a great job because he got his hands on some versatile assets, and put a good product on the court.

themurph
12-09-2011, 09:31 AM
Right because Mark Cuban is a small market owner.

And because New York, Miami, Chicago, etc. were thrilled with this trade.

If you want to believe that, lol, go right ahead.

Are you daft?...lol

Dan Gilbert (Cleveland) and a few other small market owners are the ones that denounced the trade...They are the ones who went to Stern...It's been all in the news....

If you are going to debate this please know the facts....

Joey Zaza
12-09-2011, 09:32 AM
1) Dell Demps is a kid (41) with no GM experience. Not that a 41 yr. old cannot run a team, but the morass of running the NOH, owned by the league and its testy owners, is more than I'd wish on him. They should've dragged one of the league's more tested and experienced GM's out for this (what should have been) temporary job. Honestly, I'd rather have seen Isiah at the helm.

2) Whether or not this was a good trade for NOH is based on each individual's theory of rebuilding.

Some beleive that when you lose your superstar, you prepare yourself to suck, you take on young players, draft picks and shed as much contract as possible...suck for a year or two and then hopefully get the next Paul in an upcoming draft. Hig risk -- because of all the upcoming losing -- but potentially higher reward.

Some beleive that you make trades to try to win, no matter what. Not wrong, less risk and less reward. This trade would've kept them around .500 for the next 3 yrs. and maybe a playoff berth or two. Never would've been a contender, but at least there would be some winning.

In the first theory (which I subscribe to) this was a sh!t trade, worst trade they could possibly make. Those who subscribe to the second theory would say that Del Demps hit a freaking home-run with this deal.

bluechox2
12-09-2011, 09:33 AM
Eh taking a core of a 9th seed and putting it together with Odom and Okafor would be a very solid team. They could threaten for the 7-8th seed. The revenue from a couple of playoff games is often the difference between profits and losses for sports teams. Individually the players gained have value, and manageable contracts that can be moved.

PG.Dragic
SG.Martin
SF.Ariza/Odom
PF.Scola/Odom
C.Okafor/Odom

Is a really good passing lineup that will put up some points and cause matchup problems, and if the wins aren't coming Odom, Scola, Okafor, Martin, and even Ariza can be moved at the deadline for picks and/or players still on their rookie deals. Demps actually did a great job because he got his hands on some versatile assets, and put a good product on the court.

great lineup, if martin can play smarter, its would be similar to the lakers structure

Soundwave
12-09-2011, 09:33 AM
Are you daft?...lol

Dan Gilbert (Cleveland) and a few other small market owners are the ones that denounced the trade...They are the ones who went to Stern...It's been all in the news....

If you are going to debate this please know the facts....

Dan Gilbert is only one owner. It's been reported Cuban was one of the most vocal as well, and obviously that's not a small market owner.

You're beyond naive if you don't think the Lakers have made a lot of enemies over the years.

But fine. Dan Gilbert vetoed the deal. LOL. If that's what helps you sleep at night.

themurph
12-09-2011, 09:35 AM
1) Dell Demps is a kid (41) with no GM experience. Not that a 41 yr. old cannot run a team, but the morass of running the NOH, owned by the league and its testy owners, is more than I'd wish on him. They should've dragged one of the league's more tested and experienced GM's out for this (what should have been) temporary job. Honestly, I'd rather have seen Isiah at the helm.

2) Whether or not this was a good trade for NOH is based on each individual's theory of rebuilding.

Some beleive that when you lose your superstar, you prepare yourself to suck, you take on young players, draft picks and shed as much contract as possible...suck for a year or two and then hopefully get the next Paul in an upcoming draft. Hig risk -- because of all the upcoming losing -- but potentially higher reward.

Some beleive that you make trades to try to win, no matter what. Not wrong, less risk and less reward. This trade would've kept them around .500 for the next 3 yrs. and maybe a playoff berth or two. Never would've been a contender, but at least there would be some winning.

In the first theory (which I subscribe to) this was a sh!t trade, worst trade they could possibly make. Those who subscribe to the second theory would say that Del Demps hit a freaking home-run with this deal.

Problem is, virtually everyone says it was a good trade for New Orleans...

Soundwave
12-09-2011, 09:36 AM

Define "virtually everyone".

ESPN is not "virtually everyone" in my book. The Lakers front office could take a sh*t at half court and ESPN would applaud it.

The real reason the media is drooling like a bunch of morons over this trade is because they want to ramp up viewership/website hits by pushing the "Dwight to LA too!!!!" all day tomorrow and were hoping this trade would go through because of that.

Now that it hasn't, they've had their little party cancelled.

The other thing that makes basketball reporters a "joke" is that half of them consider themselves to be "boys" with the bigger stars, so naturally they'll always take the side of the players in any kind of conflict. Look at how long Stephen A. Smith was on LeBron's jock.

None of these reporters give two craps about the New Orleans Hornets.

statman32
12-09-2011, 09:39 AM
This thread needs to be deleted. This topic was discussed ad nauseum in the other Demps thread.

Soundwave is just ignoring any facts and assuming anything that will support his argument. Seems like he keeps throwing out the "rumored" Celtics and Clippers deals for Chris Paul that have no backing to them.

This deal would be quite possibly the best deal for a superstar player in a very long deal especially considering the lack of leverage New Orleans had.

R.I.P.
12-09-2011, 09:39 AM
U r vastly overplaying this...It's simple...Paul tells New Orleans that he is willing to play out his contract but will not be re-upping with them next season...He tells this because 1) he doesn't want the team to get burned like Cleveland did and 2) he wants the chance to get the best deal possible...

It's really simple...

Yeah sure. Chris Paul is a good Samaritan with the Hornets best interests at heart. :facepalm

themurph
12-09-2011, 09:40 AM
Dan Gilbert is only one owner. It's been reported Cuban was one of the most vocal as well, and obviously that's not a small market owner.

You're beyond naive if you don't think the Lakers have made a lot of enemies over the years.

But fine. Dan Gilbert vetoed the deal. LOL. If that's what helps you sleep at night.

It has been reported that the owners of Cleveland, the Bobcats, the Jazz, Indiana and Milwaukee were some of the teams that made their opinion known...More small market than big markey teams...

Cuban already has beef with Buss and the Lakers, so you can see through that all day....

Again, this is a horrible move on the owners part....

themurph
12-09-2011, 09:42 AM
Yeah sure. Chris Paul is a good Samaritan with the Hornets best interests at heart. :facepalm

Or he could leave them high and dry like Lebron did to Cleveland...

What part of this you don't understand?

themurph
12-09-2011, 09:43 AM
This thread needs to be deleted. This topic was discussed ad nauseum in the other Demps thread.

Soundwave is just ignoring any facts and assuming anything that will support his argument. Seems like he keeps throwing out the "rumored" Celtics and Clippers deals for Chris Paul that have no backing to them.

This deal would be quite possibly the best deal for a superstar player in a very long deal especially considering the lack of leverage New Orleans had.

I agree.....kill this thread...

Soundwave
12-09-2011, 09:44 AM
It has been reported that the owners of Cleveland, the Bobcats, the Jazz, Indiana and Milwaukee were some of the teams that made their opinion known...More small market than big markey teams...

Cuban already has beef with Buss and the Lakers, so you can see through that all day....

Again, this is a horrible move on the owners part....

Yeah damn those small market owners for not being thrilled about being the Lakers' punching bag for another 5+ years while having to foot the tab on a bloated New Orleans franchise bordering into luxury tax and then to lose revenue sharing money on top of that.

What a bunch of selfish jerks.

Soundwave
12-09-2011, 09:47 AM
I agree.....kill this thread...

Better yet why don't we just have Laker-approved PR threads.

Y'know. We can't have any dissent. Need to maintain the hive mind. If you don't like this particular discussion, you're welcome to post on the oh 1000 other threads about the topic.

themurph
12-09-2011, 09:52 AM
Better yet why don't we just have Laker-approved PR threads.

Y'know. We can't have any dissent. Need to maintain the hive mind. If you don't like this particular discussion, you're welcome to post on the oh 1000 other threads about the topic.

U actually think this is about the Lakers?...U think I'm a Lakers fan? I'm a Bulls fan btw....

This is about the NBA looking foolish and going into legal turmoil..

Kevin_Gamble
12-09-2011, 10:02 AM
If Stern thinks he can make better deals, why doesn't he make himself the GM of every team and just fix the NBA as he wants.

Mr Know It All
12-09-2011, 10:03 AM
U actually think this is about the Lakers?...U think I'm a Lakers fan? I'm a Bulls fan btw....

The league is not going into legal turmoil. THEY OWN THE HORNETS. They can do what they please. Was this is a shady as hell move that was orchestrated by angry owners who wanted Stern to block it? Yes. Did Stern and the NBA have every right to block it? Yes. There is no legal turmoil, idiot.

The direction the league is going right now (stacking every top 5-7 player on 2-3 teams) could spell the end of the league. Sure it will be popular in the short run, but all the small market teams will watch their revenue shrink tremendously. Stern and Silver should have stuck to their guns in this lockout, the players have way too much power at this point.:facepalm

MaxFly
12-09-2011, 10:04 AM

Have you seen the Hornet's roster? Outside of Chris Paul, they only have $29M in committed contracts. If they were to pick up Martin, Scola and Odom for next season, they would get close to the cap, but would be well under luxury tax territory. Luxury tax territory is $70M+. NO is going to have to pick up players anyway. Right now they're at $42M with only 6 players. They have to take on more salary or they will run afoul of the minimum salary requirements.

This is NO had the trade gone through.

Jarret Jack
Martin/Belinelli/Pondexter
Odom/Ariza
Scola
Okafor

This is NO now...

Paul/Jack
Belinelli/Pondexter
Ariza

Okafor

Soundwave
12-09-2011, 10:04 AM

Reality check -- the NBA is already a joke to the broader sports community. Bring up the "NBA" to a lot of sports fans and they will roll their eyes in contempt.

Because the perception exists that the NBA is a "joke league" where 2-3 teams compete for a title and everyone else basically is worthless.

Joey Zaza
12-09-2011, 10:10 AM

For the short term building a team that will be competitive every night...this was unquestionably a good trade. They should be in the .500+ range for a few years with really decent players.

However, being in the .500+ range without picks and without cap room to sign a real-life star is a little bit like -- what did the other guy call it - a mediocrity treadmill. In the NBA you have to suck to become great. Paul's departure was an opportunity for NO to do that.

If the plan is for NO to be great, long-term, the trade was a disaster. If the plan was for NO to be pretty good for a few years, the trade was AWESOME.

themurph
12-09-2011, 10:15 AM
Reality check -- the NBA is already a joke to the broader sports community. Bring up the "NBA" to a lot of sports fans and they will roll their eyes in contempt.

Because the perception exists that the NBA is a "joke league" where 2-3 teams compete for a title and everyone else basically is worthless.

Are u an NBA fan?

And the NBA is not a joke....That was the NHL last year...

People were hyped when the lockout was resolved...All the talk was about the Christmas game...The positive buzz was indeed coming back...

And then this debacle happens...

And to answer your previous question it's not just ESPN that is pointing out that the a) the NO deal was good and b) the NBA has done itself worst harm than a lockout...From Yahoo sports to Sports Illustrated, to daily newspaper columnist nationwide, people are calling it for it is: a cluster f*ck...

Hell, even political sites/publications are getting in on it...This from the respected Atlantic...

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2011/12/rejected-trade-shows-nba-hasnt-solved-any-its-problems/45968/

Money Quote:

"The trade may have proved to the small-market owners that nothing has changed, but Stern's move to appease them may have made the situation even worse. The trade was a good deal for New Orleans, who acquired several players and a draft pick for a superstar that would be leaving as a free agent at the end of the year anyway. It embarrassed Demps and undermined his ability to make future deals. It angers the players involved, who now have to return to locker rooms where they obviously aren't wanted. It won't sit well with the rest of league's players who already feel they were mistreated by owners during the lockout and now have even less reason to trust Stern."

Soundwave
12-09-2011, 10:18 AM
Are u an NBA fan?

And the NBA is not a joke....That was the NHL last year...

People were hyped when the lockout was resolved...All the talk was about the Christmas game...The positive buzz was indeed coming back...

And then this debacle happens...

And to answer your previous question it's not just ESPN that is pointing out that the a) the NO deal was good and b) the NBA has done itself worst harm than a lockout...From Yahoo sports to Sports Illustrated, to daily newspaper columnist nationwide, people are calling it for it is: a cluster f*ck...

Hell, even political sites/publications are getting in on it...This from the respected Atlantic...

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2011/12/rejected-trade-shows-nba-hasnt-solved-any-its-problems/45968/

Money Quote:

"The trade may have proved to the small-market owners that nothing has changed, but Stern's move to appease them may have made the situation even worse. The trade was a good deal for New Orleans, who acquired several players and a draft pick for a superstar that would be leaving as a free agent at the end of the year anyway. It embarrassed Demps and undermined his ability to make future deals. It angers the players involved, who now have to return to locker rooms where they obviously aren't wanted. It won't sit well with the rest of league's players who already feel they were mistreated by owners during the lockout and now have even less reason to trust Stern."

I'm a sports fan as a whole and I know a lot of NFL/NHL/MLB fans.

The NBA is not as highly thought of as you think, and David Stern knows this.

Among casual/fringe fans the NBA has lost a lot of its luster sans Jordan.

People love the NFL because if you're an NFL player, even a superstar, you get dealt to Green Bay ... guess what? You play your ass off for Green Bay, even though it's a frozen parking lot in the middle of nowhere.

The NBA? Hellllllll no. These divas would cry about being stuck in an airport in Green Bay let alone having to live and play there.

This is why in part the NBA is losing "middle America". You can accuse Stern of a lot, but he's not an idiot. He knows what up in the broad scheme of things and he knows many, many sports fans are beginning to get turned off by the egocentric nature of NBA players.

They all want to play in L.A. because their egos are so big they think not only should they be basketball stars, but they're "crossover" stars (memo to NBA players: no one wants to see you in any movie or TV show and most of y'all are genetic freaks who are uglier than sin. Be happy that something like basketball even exists for you to make money off of).

Sarcastic
12-09-2011, 10:19 AM

No you don't take whatever you can get. Your first choice should be a comparable talent. If you can't get that, then you try to get picks to build around or a young player that is not yet proven but with good upside potential. If you can't get any of those 2, then you try to get salary relief.

The Hornets were getting none of those. They were getting older and more expensive. This was an Isiah Thomas type of trade. Receive inferior talent, and pay more money to do so.

If you think about it, the trade really becomes Odom and Martin for Paul. Scola is a wash with David West, who they can sign without the trade or can't sign with the trade.

themurph
12-09-2011, 10:23 AM
I'm a sports fan as a whole and I know a lot of NFL/NHL/MLB fans.

The NBA is not as highly thought of as you think, and David Stern knows this.

Among casual/fringe fans the NBA has lost a lot of its luster sans Jordan.

People love the NFL because if you're an NFL player, even a superstar, you get dealt to Green Bay ... guess what? You play your ass off for Green Bay, even though it's a frozen parking lot in the middle of nowhere.

The NBA? Hellllllll no. These divas would cry about being stuck in an airport in Green Bay let alone having to live and play there.

This is why in part the NBA is losing "middle America".

NBA "losing" Middle America =black players getting too much power...

This^^^is besides the point...

It's been pointed out that NO would not go over the luxury tax, so that kills your driving thesis...

Bottom line: Stern has opened up a can of worms by doing this move...And it ain't going to be good...Legally and PR wise for a league coming out of a lockout...

Soundwave
12-09-2011, 10:25 AM

It's been pointed out that NO would not go over the luxury tax, so that kills your driving thesis...

Bottom line: Stern has opened up a can of worms by doing this move...And it ain't going to be good...Legally and PR wise for a league coming out of a lockout...

Paul will get traded somewhere else, the season will start, life will go on. The NBA will eventually wash their hands of the Hornets (who never should've been allowed to leave Charlotte in the first place) and that'll be that.

Hell in the end if Paul ends up with say the Clippers ... two or three years from now he may look back at this and realize it was the best thing that could've happened when he looks up the court and sees what a 36-year-old Kobe Bryant with almost 20 years of basketball on his legs looks like.

Sarcastic
12-09-2011, 10:27 AM

The trade does not put the Hornets at luxury tax, but it reduces the Laker's tax burden. So in effect, the owners have to foot a higher bill for the Hornets, meanwhile get less tax money from the Lakers. They are paying the Lakers to take Paul off their hands.

themurph
12-09-2011, 10:33 AM
Paul will get traded somewhere else, the season will start, life will go on.

And how will this happen? This is what you fail to understand...How shady will it look for Paul to be traded to another team after this? If you think the league looks like a joke now, just wait until he gets traded to Milwaukee...Legally, this is bigger than you think...

Like I said, most people see the writing on the wall except you and a very small minority who is confusing the points...

Read...Fox Sports chimes in....

Protected? No, Hornets got shafted

Mark Kriegel

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/chris-paul-new-orleans-hornets-los-angeles-lakers-deal-killed-and-it-stinks-120911

One can barely imagine the relief felt this morning by the New Orleans Hornets and their fans, assuming, that is, that they still have any.

The perennially star-crossed Hornets were set to trade Chris Paul

Kevin_Gamble
12-09-2011, 10:34 AM
And we wonder why Paul doesn't want to stay with the Hornets.

Sarcastic
12-09-2011, 10:36 AM
And we wonder why Paul doesn't want to stay with the Hornets.

He doesn't have to stay with the Hornets. He can walk. No one is forcing him to stay past this year.

heyhey
12-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Paul will get traded somewhere else, the season will start, life will go on. The NBA will eventually wash their hands of the Hornets (who never should've been allowed to leave Charlotte in the first place) and that'll be that.

Hell in the end if Paul ends up with say the Clippers ... two or three years from now he may look back at this and realize it was the best thing that could've happened when he looks up the court and sees what a 36-year-old Kobe Bryant with almost 20 years of basketball on his legs looks like.

your second paragraph is completely beside the point.

and if Paul gets traded now then that just completely invalidate your reasoning with the luxury tax. The legitimacy of the NBA will be further eroded

Soundwave
12-09-2011, 10:39 AM

and if Paul gets traded now then that just completely invalidate your reasoning with the luxury tax. The legitimacy of the NBA will be further eroded

In a month we'll be watching NBA basketball and no one will really give a sh-t about this but Laker fans.

Sarcastic
12-09-2011, 10:40 AM

:rolleyes:

Bud Selig stepped in and blocked a trade the Cubs were going to make because it increased their salary (debt burden) at a time that they were looking for a new owner. Did baseball erode their legitimacy because of that?

catch24
12-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Shouldn't they be celebrating then? :oldlol:

Why are they so mad?

Because it's gonna f*ck up team chemistry, moron.

Soundwave
12-09-2011, 10:42 AM
Because it's gonna f*ck up team chemistry, moron.

Aww ... ain't that cute. Another Laker princess that has to kick and scream and call names when she doesn't get her way.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_HWzOA-TPyt4/TIEeHnQEMYI/AAAAAAAABQM/lnsZd3wad20/s1600/spoiled+brat.jpg

You guys are just adorable when you don't get your way.

The great thing is even though half of you don't even live in L.A., you got the Paris Hilton stick-up-yer-butt-every-douchey-LA-stereotype-come-to-life thing down pat.

themurph
12-09-2011, 10:45 AM

Bud Selig stepped in and blocked a trade the Cubs were going to make because it increased their salary (debt burden) at a time that they were looking for a new owner. Did baseball erode their legitimacy because of that?

If u think that was the same case as this NBA debacle, I want what u r smoking...

Soundwave
12-09-2011, 10:47 AM

The NHL also just did something similar, they own the Phoenix Coyotes and one of their young stars wanted a trade out and basically the GM told him to go f-ck himself and forced him to sit out several months of the season. The NHL owns the Coyotes for the exact same reasons the NBA owns the Hornets (waiting for a new owner).

It was a fun drama for a while but no one really cares 1 month later.

Sarcastic
12-09-2011, 10:47 AM
If u think that was the same case as this NBA debacle, I want what u r smoking...

The NBA was 10 times worse. The Jacque Jones in Chicago was only a few million dollars. This trade was $55 million that the NBA has to pick up, and pass onto a new owner.

catch24
12-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Aww ... ain't that cute. Another Laker princess that has to kick and scream and call names when she doesn't get her way.

Who is this clown? It's not about getting my way. It's about it being a loss-loss for both teams. I would be happy just as is had we not have even entertained this trade.

I live in LA, but excuse me for wanting my team to win. Quit calling people 'princesses' when you're probably a weak pencil-necked virgin that resides in his moms basement. Keep racking up that fail list though. Maybe soon someone will fall for your bullshit. Until then, better call ACME for another fail kit..the roadrunner is still out there laughing that you cannot catch him.

Soundwave
12-09-2011, 10:50 AM
Who is this clown? It's not about getting my way. It's about it being a loss-loss for both teams. I would be happy just as had we not have entertained this trade.

I live in LA, but excuse me for wanting my team to win. Quit calling people 'princesses' when you're probably a weak pencil-necked virgin that resides in his moms basement. Keep racking up that fail list though. Maybe soon someone will fall for your bullshit. Until then, better call ACME for another fail kit..the roadrunner is still out there laughing that you cannot catch him.

Yup more personal insults. :oldlol:

Living right up the angry little girl who can't do anything but yell out names when she's upset.

Pro-tip: Looney Tunes insults are really only good for dating yourself.

Soultrane
12-09-2011, 10:51 AM
This is a message for Soundwave:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjWX5LeAIZM

themurph
12-09-2011, 10:51 AM
The NBA was 10 times worse. The Jacque Jones in Chicago was only a few million dollars. This trade was $55 million that the NBA has to pick up, and pass onto a new owner.

That's my point....Two different issues...And the NBA is more extreme...

Sarcastic
12-09-2011, 10:52 AM
That's my point....Two different issues...And the NBA is more extreme...

The NBA has more reason to stop this one. 55 million reasons to be exact.

themurph
12-09-2011, 10:54 AM
The NBA has more reason to stop this one. 55 million reasons to be exact.

This is about owners beefing...Not what's good for the game...

Kevin_Gamble
12-09-2011, 10:55 AM

$55 million that the team has to spend anyway. Might as well spend that on Scola than on whatever scrub they can overpay for on the FA market or whatever scrub they can get now, since they have to deal from a much weaker position.

InspiredLebowski
12-09-2011, 10:55 AM
What's even the story on the Hornets owner front? Is there ANYONE interested? I mean, how long are they going to hold out until they just move them like they should?

Put in a call to Tyler Perry. Seriously, NO native, gotta be rich as all hell. Have him call up a few of his Hollywood buddies and put a group together.

statman32
12-09-2011, 10:57 AM
The NHL also just did something similar, they own the Phoenix Coyotes and one of their young stars wanted a trade out and basically the GM told him to go f-ck himself and forced him to sit out several months of the season. The NHL owns the Coyotes for the exact same reasons the NBA owns the Hornets (waiting for a new owner).

It was a fun drama for a while but no one really cares 1 month later.
How exactly is that similar besides for the fact that the League owns the team? In fact, the league let the GM make a decision in that case. Your similar case couldn't be more opposite. Stop feeding people with crap.

catch24
12-09-2011, 10:58 AM
Yup more personal insults. :oldlol:

Living right up the angry little girl who can't do anything but yell out names when she's upset.

Pro-tip: Looney Tunes insults are really only good for dating yourself.

Words cannot describe how lost for meaningful replies you are. I feel bad for you.

You've been calling Lakers fans 'princesses' the last day or so, and you're talking about insults? Do us all a favor..get off the computer..and take a fresh breath of air..not a stuffy room filled with "queefing" butt stench from spending the past 24 hours naked on your keyboard.

Sarcastic
12-09-2011, 11:00 AM
$55 million that the team has to spend anyway. Might as well spend that on Scola than on whatever scrub they can overpay for on the FA market or whatever scrub they can get now, since they have to deal from a much weaker position.

No they don't have to spend that anyway. They should be spending just about the minimum that they have to. $55 million for the next 3 years is about 1/3 of their cap just on 3 players who are all old (in NBA terms). The Hornets should be young and cheap, not old and expensive. A new owner is going to want young/cheap with opportunity to grow. Not old/expensive and stagnant for the next 5+ years. There are no opportunities to grow with Odom/Scola/Martin. No one is taking those guys off their hands for picks or anything like that.

They become the Knicks from the last decade. Old, expensive, and no playoffs. Who the hell is buying tickets to Hornet's games with that lineup?

Soundwave
12-09-2011, 11:01 AM
No they don't have to spend that anyway. They should be spending just about the minimum that they have to. $55 million for the next 3 years is about 1/3 of their cap just on 3 players who are all old (in NBA terms). The Hornets should be young and cheap, not old and expensive. A new owner is going to want young/cheap with opportunity to grow. Not old/expensive and stagnant for the next 5+ years. There are no opportunities to grow with Odom/Scola/Martin. No one is taking those guys off their hands for picks or anything like that.

They become the Knicks from the last decade. Old, expensive, and no playoffs. Who the hell is buying tickets to Hornet's games with that lineup?

It'll be the new Hornets marketing slogan:

Come meet Khloe Kardashian. She's like Kim, only not as good looking.

If you stay for the whole game, we'll even throw in an extra free hot dog.

Sarcastic
12-09-2011, 11:03 AM
What's even the story on the Hornets owner front? Is there ANYONE interested? I mean, how long are they going to hold out until they just move them like they should?

Put in a call to Tyler Perry. Seriously, NO native, gotta be rich as all hell. Have him call up a few of his Hollywood buddies and put a group together.

I think there are buyers interested IF they can move them out of NOLA.

Soundwave
12-09-2011, 11:04 AM
I think there are buyers interested IF they can move them out of NOLA.

I could maybe see Seattle. There's gotta some Microsoft bazillionaire that could afford another team.

Sarcastic
12-09-2011, 11:06 AM
I could maybe see Seattle. There's gotta some Microsoft bazillionaire that could afford another team.

The city refused to subsidize a new arena.

If the city doesn't pay for Stern's houses, then he takes your team away.

themurph
12-09-2011, 11:10 AM
People need to understand what is happening...It's all a conflict of interest...Not a good look for Stern...He is f*cking up the NBA....His own league...SMH...

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7334835/the-sixth-day-nba-christmas

Excerpt:

"Fact: That trade was totally, undeniably, 100 percent defensible.

Fact: Of the three teams involved, New Orleans made out the best. Repeat: the best. By my calculations, it landed one of the better offensive big men in basketball (Luis Scola), one of the better scoring 2-guards in basketball (Kevin Martin), a playoff-proven forward who can play either spot (Lamar Odom), a scoring point guard with upside (Goran Dragic), and a 2012 no. 1 pick (via the New York Knicks). Can you do better for someone who was leaving in seven months anyway? I hate trading superstars, but if you HAVE to trade a superstar? That's pretty good.

Meanwhile, the Rockets spent the past three years stashing enough pieces to make that trade: Acquiring the second-best center in basketball (Gasol) while leaving enough cap room to sign a marquee free agent (and yes, they were closing in on Nene). And the Lakers paid the steepest price: giving up their best low-post guy and all of their frontcourt depth, giving Andrew Bynum an immense amount of responsibility (you know, the same guy who stormed off the court half-naked during the playoff sweep last spring) and reinventing their team around Paul's aching knee and Kobe's aching knees. It would have been a brilliant move had it worked and a legendary disaster had it failed

PyrrhusX
12-09-2011, 11:10 AM
Agree with op that trade was a joke. Better value in a trade for youth than for a batch of 30-something's.

Think about it, new Orleans would have no chance at competing for a championship with scola-odom-Martin. A few years on and they would be in rebuilding/youth mode.

Rebuilding through the draft and development of young players should take priority to entice owners. A batch of promising youngsters is gold when compared to a group that will soon be pass their prime.

Kevin_Gamble
12-09-2011, 11:15 AM
Agree with op that trade was a joke. Better value in a trade for youth than for a batch of 30-something's.

Think about it, new Orleans would have no chance at competing for a championship with scola-odom-Martin. A few years on and they would be in rebuilding/youth mode.

Rebuilding through the draft and development of young players should take priority to entice owners. A batch of promising youngsters is gold when compared to a group that will soon be pass their prime.

Yes and who was offering a batch of promising youngsters?

PyrrhusX
12-09-2011, 11:29 AM

Rebuild through draft. Look where the thunder are now.
Boston's offer or even the clippers one makes more sense. Rondo in particular would net a few juicy picks.

If they took on the three mentioned today, they would have to rebuild in a few years anyways. Starting fresh now would probs serve th

themurph
12-09-2011, 11:35 AM

Another person ^^^^ I wouldn't hire as my GM...

Here's what Larry Coon says...He's a very respected sports writer with no horse in this race...He covers more financial/legal angles of the NBA...So he knows his sh*t....

http://twitter.com/#!/LarryCoon/stat...30086100393984

http://twitter.com/#!/LarryCoon/stat...30238978572288

http://twitter.com/#!/LarryCoon/stat...30372202258432

Quote taken from another post:

"The fertile area here is conflict of interest. When the league took over the team, they appointed a caretaker exactly to avoid that conflict.

Now they've trumped the organization. The only way the league (and its owners) avoid a conflict argument is by keeping an arms length through a trustee or manager, and that requires autonomy."

Do you guys get it now?

EllisGW
12-09-2011, 11:35 AM

i dunno, but waiting three days is not really trying. Hornets letting paul walk is not bad relative to the terrible trade. They would save money that would have gone to the solid players that did not want to be there. They are going to be lottery with a good nba draft coming up. they would also have good money left to sign a FA next year.

Kevin_Gamble
12-09-2011, 11:37 AM
[QUOTE=PyrrhusX]Rebuild through draft. Look where the thunder are now.
Boston's offer or even the clippers one makes more sense. Rondo in particular would net a few juicy picks.

If they took on the three mentioned today, they would have to rebuild in a few years anyways. Starting fresh now would probs serve th

Joey Zaza
12-09-2011, 03:53 PM

I'm with you---but what you are discussing is a loooooong term plan. Looong term plannig is hard without a committed owner and a solid fan base. Seemed like Del Demps was trying to make an even match. Get the same # of wins (or close thereto) as he had last year.

Its solid short term planning.