PDA

View Full Version : The Most OVERRATED player in the NBA

EnoughSaid
12-06-2011, 09:44 AM
I saw this poll on the front page of Insidehoops, and decided to create a thread on it. Anyway, who do you guys think is the most overrated?

I think it's Derrick Rose.

So many people have him in the top 10 just after one season. :facepalm . The dude had a stacked team, and even though Booz and Noah were injured at times, he still had a sick defensive team and everyone contributed. It's not like he HAD to go out every night and score 30 for them to win.

r15mohd
12-06-2011, 09:47 AM
Funny...I thought it was more of the other way around. If Rose didnt play the way he did during the season, the Bulls were nothing.

EnoughSaid
12-06-2011, 09:48 AM
Funny...I thought it was more of the other way around. If Rose didnt play the way he did during the season, the Bulls were nothing.

So your telling me that it was only Rose that basically got the Bulls to the next level? The coach, or the bench didn't have anything to do with it?

blablabla
12-06-2011, 09:48 AM
He is there only consistent offensive force
and talking about stacked teams

pegasus
12-06-2011, 09:49 AM
Definitely Lebron. He's the definition of empty stats.

blacknapalm
12-06-2011, 09:50 AM
brian scalebrine. i keep hearing about this guy breaking ankles and defenders fearing him, but he hardly ever plays. i want to see highlight reel before i judge but i never understood why people went crazy over him. maybe he's the next bron or kobe, but i'm just gonna wait

r15mohd
12-06-2011, 09:52 AM
So your telling me that it was only Rose that basically got the Bulls to the next level? The coach, or the bench didn't have anything to do with it?

pretty much...sure the coach and bench had factors, but Rose was the reason they were on the 'next level'

Sakkreth
12-06-2011, 09:57 AM

More like definition of making 66wins team out of 20wins team. Such an empty stats right ?...

Rnbizzle
12-06-2011, 09:58 AM
I'd say it's the older stars. Duncan, Kobe, Garnett, etc. These guys can still produce but not the way they used to. Most of their homers have a hard time accepting that and continue to ranke them amongst the next generation superstars like Bron, Durant and Howard, while they can no longer compete with them.

chips93
12-06-2011, 10:00 AM
Chris Paul

his reputation is living off of past seasons and a good playoff run.

hes 8th at best imo in the league, and rose is a better pg.

Jasi
12-06-2011, 10:04 AM
More like definition of making 66wins team out of 20wins team. Such an empty stats right ?...

Don't tell me you're a LeBron fan.
Tu quoque, a Lithuanian, the son of a land where basketball fundamentals are divinities, where the purity of technique, the delicacies of ball movement, the sheer beauty of the shot, shine bright in the heart of basketball fans.

blacknapalm
12-06-2011, 10:06 AM
I'd say it's the older stars. Duncan, Kobe, Garnett, etc. These guys can still produce but not the way they used to. Most of their homers have a hard time accepting that and continue to ranke them amongst the next generation superstars like Bron, Durant and Howard, while they can no longer compete with them.

i can see this, esp duncan. sorry, he just didn't deserve an all-star bid last season and his team's record wasn't an excuse. go ahead and throw carter in there since people think he can just return to 08-09 form the drop of a hat. he's not a 20 pt scorer anymore and his defense hurts you more than what he can give on offense. not to mention his poor FT shooting and clutch play.

blablabla
12-06-2011, 10:08 AM
but it's so hard to let them go

madmax
12-06-2011, 10:35 AM
Kobe...nuff said

I.R.Beast
12-06-2011, 10:40 AM
I saw this poll on the front page of Insidehoops, and decided to create a thread on it. Anyway, who do you guys think is the most overrated?

So many people have him in the top 10 just after one season. :facepalm . The dude had a stacked team, and even though Booz and Noah were injured at times, he still had a sick defensive team and everyone contributed. It's not like he HAD to go out every night and score 30 for them to win.

LMAO...... thats your Idea of a stacked team?

I.R.Beast
12-06-2011, 10:41 AM
Chris Paul

Ditto

I.R.Beast
12-06-2011, 10:42 AM

No Rose = 8th seed or no seed. Rose carrying them offensively allowed those guys to play defense without having to worry about where their offensive production was coming from. No Rose means they would've had to produce points which would compromise their defense.

Sakkreth
12-06-2011, 10:47 AM
Don't tell me you're a LeBron fan.
Tu quoque, a Lithuanian, the son of a land where basketball fundamentals are divinities, where the purity of technique, the delicacies of ball movement, the sheer beauty of the shot, shine bright in the heart of basketball fans.

Not entirely, but I like his passing ability and that he's willing to pass despite being best player on the floor. I don't think that I really like any of current superstars, to bad Roy is injury prone. I can tell what I really dislike though, guards who are selfish and dumb (yeah the ones like Westbrook) .

JtotheIzzo
12-06-2011, 11:25 AM

yes and no, they can no longer match the volume (or empty stats if you will) of the younger fresher legs, but when push comes to shove, when you get deep into a playoff series and every possession matters, then the veterans become better and more valuable than the younger more athletic players.

but essentially you are right as a GM for example will always pick youth because of the length of career remaining, therefore by that equation they are more valuable.

all on how you look at it.

kNIOKAS
12-06-2011, 11:35 AM
Imo younger guys. They're hyped to be the new market horses, they're hyped because of their potential, but call me when the hype translates to the game.

yobore
12-06-2011, 12:01 PM
Chris Paul

People who say he is the best PG are projecting him forward rather than looking at his recent performance. Of course, many don't think he can recover and that's a reason to think he's overrated, but what he did last year while literally walking around the court on a not very talented team suggests he will be extremely dangerous with better health on a new team.

I think this season Paul gets back to his prime with a slightly altered playing style (less in the lane, less ball-dominant) based on what he did last year, that should actually help him fit on a better team.

airchibundo507
12-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Kevin Love/Durant

MichaelCheazley
12-06-2011, 12:07 PM
LMAO...... thats your Idea of a stacked team?
But what happened to luol deng being "the most underrated player" in the league. Or we have the "best rebounding front court" The heat CAN'T beat us. Taj gibson "the best bench player in the league". All of those coming from various threads made throughout the summer/last season.

pegasus
12-06-2011, 12:08 PM

It wasn't just Lebron, just like it isn't just Rose now. If Lebron meant 46 more wins just by himself, then how come Miami won only 11 more last year even though they added him AND Bosh?

yobore
12-06-2011, 12:10 PM
It wasn't just Lebron, just like it isn't just Rose now. If Lebron meant 46 more wins just by himself, then how come Miami won only 11 more last year even though they added him AND Bosh?
Cleveland really was mostly Lebron. He wasn't as good in Miami because he just wasn't playing as well and Wade have overlapping skills and haven't figured out who should do what yet.

MichaelCheazley
12-06-2011, 12:13 PM

Because we didnt have two of our key players the whole year... Forcing us to play our bench which isnt too great. A Healthy mike miller and Udonis would make a difference. And besides we lost like ten close games. Now that the chemistry is better we should win more of them.

chips93
12-06-2011, 12:17 PM
People who say he is the best PG are projecting him forward rather than looking at his recent performance. Of course, many don't think he can recover and that's a reason to think he's overrated, but what he did last year while literally walking around the court on a not very talented team suggests he will be extremely dangerous with better health on a new team.

I think this season Paul gets back to his prime with a slightly altered playing style (less in the lane, less ball-dominant) based on what he did last year, that should actually help him fit on a better team.

i think a lot of people thought he was better than rose last year, and those people are overrating paul.

i think hes overrated because he plays the position 'the right way', compared to the other athletes at the position, despite rose, being one of those athletes, being more productive and effective last year.

i hope he gets back to his old self, or at least a more aggressive and productive player. he might be my favorite player in the league, and to watch him go through stretches last year, where he couldnt/wouldnt penetrate and create for his teammates like he could, well, that was a sad sight.

bond10
12-06-2011, 12:18 PM

Empty stats would mean getting a triple double and losing the game.

When Lebron has good stats, the Heat win.
When Lebron has bad stats, they probably lost.

Not empty stats.

Plus, you can't be overrated if you're considered the "best" player: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241370

Kyle_korver
12-06-2011, 12:27 PM
Ummmm let's see
Haslem was out for the longest
Mike miller was out
Wade even missed a few games
They had no idea how to run the offense
Yet ...
They finally get out the first round
Reach the finals
... By the way .. Do you remember the last time lebron missed the playoffs or even lost in the first round?.. It's been a while

LakersReign
12-06-2011, 12:30 PM
The answer to the question is Lebron. I've never seen a guy get hyped up so much. "Oh...well...he's such a beast, he can play every position on the floor." But yet he has no post game to speak of, and has very little interest in developing one. "Oh....well....he can slam dunk with 700 lbs of pressure." O......k....and that's SOMEHOW relevant because....?! Oh....and let's not forget...."not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4, not 5, not 6, not 7."

Need I say more?! :lol

Bigsmoke
12-06-2011, 12:33 PM

o Yeah The Cavs proved us last year that they dont need LeBron to stay relevant :rolleyes:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CLE/2011.html

MichaelCheazley
Ummmm let's see
Haslem was out for the longest
Mike miller was out
Wade even missed a few games
They had no idea how to run the offense
Yet ...
They finally get out the first round
Reach the finals
... By the way .. Do you remember the last time lebron missed the playoffs or even lost in the first round?.. It's been a while

Meanwhile people praise melo due to his superiorly, smooth aesthetic offensive game!

pegasus
Empty stats would mean getting a triple double and losing the game.

When Lebron has good stats, the Heat win.
When Lebron has bad stats, they probably lost.

Not empty stats.

Plus, you can't be overrated if you're considered the "best" player: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241370

Funny you brought up "triple-double's". He had a triple-double against the Celtics in game 6 in 2010. Everybody said that he quit in that game, I mean EVERYBODY. I can find the game thread and show you how many people viewed his performance the same way.

He also had a triple-double against the Cavs last year in the regular season (their last match-up). That was also empty, because he was afraid to take any responsibility in the 4th quarter, costing his team a win. I can find that game thread, too.

And finally, he had a triple-double against the Mavs in game 5, but again, everybody said that he just raked up the assists and rebounds to make it look like he tried. In fact, he was no where to be found in the fourth quarter again.

So now you have three examples of Lebron's triple-double not helping his teams win games. Anything else?

Bigsmoke
12-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Manu Ginobili

chips93
12-06-2011, 12:36 PM
It wasn't just Lebron, just like it isn't just Rose now. If Lebron meant 42 more wins just by himself, then how come Miami won only 11 more last year even though they added him AND Bosh?

my god pegasus is such a moron.

the heat won 47 games the year before bron arrived, what, they were supposed to win 89regular season games ? :lol

ever heard of the law of diminishing returns buddy?

Fatal9
12-06-2011, 12:37 PM
Last year: Rose
In the last 4-5 years: Melo

chips93
12-06-2011, 12:45 PM
Last year: Rose
In the last 4-5 years: Melo

just curious, but where do you rank rose in terms of pgs, and in the league as a whole?

during the season he might have been overrated, but after the playoffs, he's a little underrated imo.

pegasus
12-06-2011, 12:47 PM
my god pegasus is such a moron.

the heat won 47 games the year before bron arrived, what, they were supposed to win 89regular season games ? :lol

ever heard of the law of diminishing returns buddy?

So you're telling me that according to your diminishing returns theory, Miami was expected to win 11 more games despite adding two superstars last year?

I didn't say that Lebron meant 46 wins by himself, so of course I didn't expect them to win 93(!) games, you mental midget. I can actually assess his skills pretty accurately, and was not surprised by them not winning +60 games.

But those, including yourself, who think that he is the best player in the league, should have expected them to win a lot more, and win the chip. You cannot say that he is the best and be content with his performance last year. It just doesn't make sense, no matter what other theories you want to throw out there.

RRR3
12-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Based on his avatar and the intelligence (or lack thereof) displayed in his posts, I have concluded Pegasus is newt Gingrich.

swi7ch
12-06-2011, 12:55 PM
Gotta be one of the top 3 worst MVPs in basketball (whether in the NBA, Euroleague, Asian League, etc.)---D Rose.

He only won the award because the media was upset with LBJ for joining MIA and because LBJ has won it the two previous times.

rodman91
12-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Chris Paul

MMM
12-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Why do people misuse the term overrated????

I think what many of you want to say is overhyped.

pegasus
12-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Based on his avatar and the intelligence (or lack thereof) displayed in his posts, I have concluded Pegasus is newt Gingrich.

And based on your avatar, you are an ugly whore. Unless, of course, that's your mother, (having always assumed that you are about 8 or 9 y.o.). If that's the case, I would call her a "pretty whore", since I don't like being rude to people's mothers.

RRR3
12-06-2011, 12:59 PM
And based on your avatar, you are an ugly whore. Unless, of course, that's your mother, (having always assumed that you are about 8 or 9 y.o.). If that's the case, I would call her a "pretty whore", since I don't like being rude to people's mothers.
You think Ida Ljungqvist is ugly? You just confirmed your homosexuality. Guess I shouldn't be surprised you drool over kobe all the time.

BarberSchool
12-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Rajon Rondo.
Put that boy on Charlotte and see what he does.

chips93
12-06-2011, 01:01 PM
So you're telling me that according to your diminishing returns theory, Miami was expected to win 11 more games despite adding two superstars last year?

well its not my theory, but yeah i expected around 60 wins, maybe a little more. they fell a bit below what i expected but not by a lot.

But those, including yourself, who think that he is the best player in the league, should have expected them to win a lot more, and win the chip. You cannot say that he is the best and be content with his performance last year. It just doesn't make sense, no matter what other theories you want to throw out there.

bolded is about 90% of the board, and almost 100% of media members

otherwise . . . shockingly . . . i agree with this part.

i expected the heat to win a few more games tha they did, but a lot of times how many wins you get isnt perfectly indicitive of how good a team you are. the pythagorean theorem on wins address this, and im not bothered enough to go into it. (miami's expected ppthagorean wins was 61). id recommend looking into it though, its pretty interesting.

but yeah, the heat should have won a few more games, and should have won the chip, had lebron and the heat played up to their capabilities.

having said that, despite how much his last two post-season exits worried me, bron is still the best in the game.

rodman91
12-06-2011, 01:06 PM
Gotta be one of the top 3 worst MVPs in basketball (whether in the NBA, Euroleague, Asian League, etc.)---D Rose.

He only won the award because the media was upset with LBJ for joining MIA and because LBJ has won it the two previous times.
:no:
He won it because he was easily the best player of the best team in regular season.

Rose carried his team to 1st seed even though key players were injured.
Lebron couldn't make his team get top seed even with Wade & Bosh.

Rnbizzle
12-06-2011, 01:07 PM
You think Ida Ljungqvist is ugly? You just confirmed your homosexuality. Guess I shouldn't be surprised you drool over kobe all the time.
This :lol

pegasus
12-06-2011, 01:13 PM
well its not my theory, but yeah i expected around 60 wins, maybe a little more. they fell a bit below what i expected but not by a lot.

bolded is about 90% of the board, and almost 100% of media members

otherwise . . . shockingly . . . i agree with this part.

i expected the heat to win a few more games tha they did, but a lot of times how many wins you get isnt perfectly indicitive of how good a team you are. the pythagorean theorem on wins address this, and im not bothered enough to go into it. (miami's expected ppthagorean wins was 61). id recommend looking into it though, its pretty interesting.

but yeah, the heat should have won a few more games, and should have won the chip, had lebron and the heat played up to their capabilities.

having said that, despite how much his last two post-season exits worried me, bron is still the best in the game.

Fine, if you want to to give him the benefit of the doubt one more year, that's OK. If he can't win it all again this year, that would mean four consecutive fails despite having the HCA (I'm almost certain they'll have the HCA again this year). Then what?

Kyle_korver
Rajon Rondo.
Bingo... This is your answer

MMM
Rajon Rondo.

The sample is not large by any stretch but there is a number of examples of Rondo's multiple and varying surrounding cast having no to very little impact on his game. Due to injuries and other rotational issues Rondo has played in a variety of looks/line ups and frankly has preformed at his usual level. Now does that mean in Charlotte he would be the same player??? I don't have that answer but from what I've seen over the years and his ability to play with players with varying degrees of skill sets makes me think he would do better than people would expect.

Jolokia
12-06-2011, 01:15 PM
For the people who put him at 1-2...Kevin Durant.

pegasus
12-06-2011, 01:15 PM
The sample is not large by any stretch but there is example of example of Rondo's surrounding cast having no to very little impact on his game. Due to injuries and other rotational issues Rondo has played in a variety of looks/line ups and frankly has preformed at his usual level. Now does that mean in Charlotte he would be the same player??? I don't have that answer but from what I've seen over the years and his ability to play with players with varying degrees of skill sets makes me think he would do better than people would expect.

He's a great defender, experienced floor general, and one of the best play-makers. So, I agree, he'd be fine wherever he goes.

He should have improved his shooting by now, though.

MMM
12-06-2011, 01:22 PM
He's a great defender, experienced floor general, and one of the best play-makers. So, I agree, he'd be fine wherever he goes.

He should have improved his shooting by now, though.

His mid range shooting comes and goes from time to time but what is more annoying is the lack of overall scoring moves in the half court. He should have something at minimum a floater. Also his ability to finish is pretty frustrating as well, i can't tell you how many easy lay ups he has missed over the years. With that being said I sometimes marvel at some of the unique things he does on the court.

D-Wade316
12-06-2011, 01:34 PM
But what happened to luol deng being "the most underrated player" in the league. Or we have the "best rebounding front court" The heat CAN'T beat us. Taj gibson "the best bench player in the league". All of those coming from various threads made throughout the summer/last season.
This. The haters keep on making excuses.

D-Wade316
12-06-2011, 01:38 PM
Durant
Rose
Kobe

greensborohill
12-06-2011, 02:02 PM
While he is a top 3 player in the NBA, LeBron is still the most overrated.

knickswin
12-06-2011, 02:02 PM
Luol Deng got so underrated he's overrated. I kept seeing him pop up on the "Best 5 players at each position thread"

you would take Luol Deng over any of the following?

Lebron
Durant
Melo
Gay
Pierce (I know he's old, but he's still 9x as skilled as Deng)

Really?

I think you could make strong cases for the likes of Danilo Gallinari and Shawn Marion over Deng.

EnoughSaid
12-06-2011, 02:07 PM
Funny you brought up "triple-double's". He had a triple-double against the Celtics in game 6 in 2010. Everybody said that he quit in that game, I mean EVERYBODY. I can find the game thread and show you how many people viewed his performance the same way.

He also had a triple-double against the Cavs last year in the regular season (their last match-up). That was also empty, because he was afraid to take any responsibility in the 4th quarter, costing his team a win. I can find that game thread, too.

And finally, he had a triple-double against the Mavs in game 5, but again, everybody said that he just raked up the assists and rebounds to make it look like he tried. In fact, he was no where to be found in the fourth quarter again.

So now you have three examples of Lebron's triple-double not helping his teams win games. Anything else?

I think your talking about Game 5, not 6.

RRR3
12-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Be nice to pegashit. He's not very smart you know.

christian1923
12-06-2011, 02:10 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: i may never stop laughing

Nick Young
12-06-2011, 02:14 PM
Lebron James the ringless wonder and 2 time undeserved choke job MVP

pegasus
12-06-2011, 03:11 PM

The quitting started in game-5, but I was strictly talking about his triple-double games. He had a triple-double in game-6, but everybody agreed that it was as empty as RRR3's head and bed.

Tlova
12-06-2011, 04:53 PM
http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww97/jud_e_2009/rondo.jpg

swi7ch
12-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Derrick Rose without a doubt.

Just a higher bball IQ version of Steve Francis.

Tlova
12-06-2011, 05:04 PM
Just a higher bball IQ version of Steve Francis.
That would be Westbrook.

LemonMan
12-06-2011, 05:06 PM
you left out a pretty important factor *cough cough* dwayde *cough cough* chris bosh

Jan95
12-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Blake Griffin. The way people were talking about him like he has done something really special till now, I dont know, I think his career could go the other way.

knickswin
12-06-2011, 05:16 PM
Blake Griffin. The way people were talking about him like he has done something really special till now, I dont know, I think his career could go the other way.

personally I don't think Griffin is "there" yet. One of his best games last season happened to be against my team, and I can tell you that his numbers were a bit empty. A lot of energy/hustle points and he was getting only single teams. It's not like the Clippers were getting it to him in his spots and he was killing us from them; it was more like he would get points off of offensive rebounds, plus he had a couple of crazy plays that probably shouldn't have gone in but went in anyway. I think guys like Zbo, Bosh, Amar'e, and LaMarcus Aldridge have much more fine tuned games at this point and are more capable of being "winners," so it kind of annoys me when I see Blake ranked ahead of those guys on things like the ESPN and Sports Illustrated lists.

That being said, I am very optimistic about him and I think he could be fantastic within a few years barring him losing his explosion. He is already an excellent ball handler and passer for his position which is I think what keeps a lot of big men from reaching the next level, plus he seems to have great natural footwork. Some fine-tuning of his shot and offensive moves so that he could be more reliable in the half court, and I think he could be in the discussion for best player in the league.

BlackWhiteGreen
12-06-2011, 05:32 PM
The sample is not large by any stretch but there is a number of examples of Rondo's multiple and varying surrounding cast having no to very little impact on his game. Due to injuries and other rotational issues Rondo has played in a variety of looks/line ups and frankly has preformed at his usual level. Now does that mean in Charlotte he would be the same player??? I don't have that answer but from what I've seen over the years and his ability to play with players with varying degrees of skill sets makes me think he would do better than people would expect.

I've actually got the data from the 2010 playoffs that shows Rondo's assists go up when the big 3's scoring went down. And I think everyone can agree the 2010 playoffs was one of the best stretches in the Celtics' recent history, so its not like those stats hurt the team.

skan72
12-06-2011, 07:49 PM
I think it's LeBron. With his combination of size and athleticism he should be the number 1 player without question or debate, he should be the unanimous number 1. Heck, he should pretty much be considered top 3 all-time with his combination of size and athleticism. But he's not, and he probably won't be after his career is over because he doesn't have the fundamentals or skills to go along with the size and athleticism. Plus, he's 8 years and has no rings yet.

All this being said, the GOAT, the measuring stick we pretty much all go by was 7 years in and 28 before he got his first ring. So if LeBron could manage to win a few championships before all this is said and done...

Just my 2

32Dayz
12-06-2011, 08:05 PM
http://www.accesshollywood.com/content/images/139/originals/139556_kobe-bryant-and-more-come-out-for-the-2011-nba-all-star-game.jpg

/Thread

Glide2keva
12-06-2011, 08:06 PM
Most overrated player?

The guy they call "The King", that has never won a ring.

Smoke117
12-06-2011, 08:17 PM

Yeah because Rose made them the best defensive team in the league. :facepalm

RobertdeMeijer
12-06-2011, 08:25 PM
Most overrated right now? Carmelo Anthony
Of all time? Allen Iverson

GilZero
12-06-2011, 08:49 PM
Most overrated right now? Carmelo Anthony
Of all time? Allen Iverson

One of the worst posts in this thread.

My most overrated player?

Kevin Love, no contest really.

DaPerceive
12-06-2011, 09:09 PM
Lebron since he is still considered to be the best player in the league. If most people did not consider him to be the best, but top 3-5, etc. then I wouldn't say he is the most overrated.

skan72
12-06-2011, 09:18 PM
http://www.accesshollywood.com/content/images/139/originals/139556_kobe-bryant-and-more-come-out-for-the-2011-nba-all-star-game.jpg

/Thread

Sarcasm? Because 5 rings speaks for itself.

madmax
12-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Lebron since he is still considered to be the best player in the league. If most people did not consider him to be the best, but top 3-5, etc. then I wouldn't say he is the most overrated.

Lerbon still IS the best player in the league...one bad finals doesn't change anything

Heavincent
12-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Lerbon still IS the best player in the league...one bad finals doesn't change anything

Yeah, who cares about the Finals. It's not like it's the most important part of the season or anything.

It's kind of funny, you and your crew of Lebron groupies have been spewing the same bullshit for years now.

Deuce Bigalow
12-06-2011, 09:30 PM

/Thread

http://www.fulcrumgallery.com/product-images/P670339-01/kobe-bryant-2010-nba-finals-game-7-championship-trophy5-fingers-in-studio27.jpg

skan72
12-06-2011, 09:47 PM

And I am still sticking with this:

I think it's LeBron. With his combination of size and athleticism he should be the number 1 player without question or debate, he should be the unanimous number 1. Heck, he should pretty much be considered top 3 all-time with his combination of size and athleticism. But he's not, and he probably won't be after his career is over because he doesn't have the fundamentals or skills to go along with the size and athleticism. Plus, he's 8 years and has no rings yet.

All this being said, the GOAT, the measuring stick we pretty much all go by was 7 years in and 28 before he got his first ring. So if LeBron could manage to win a few championships before all this is said and done...

DaPerceive
12-06-2011, 09:51 PM
He really isn't but it's not like it matters because every idiotic fan and media outlet has his back.

madmax
12-06-2011, 09:58 PM
He really isn't but it's not like it matters because every idiotic fan and media outlet has his back.

if he isn't then who is in your opinion?
Nowitzki? He was clutch during the most important moments in playoffs, but his overall production and impact aren't on Bron's level. I know this board loves to overrate "clutch" factor and stuff, but let me tell ya that all 48 minutes of NBA game are important and that's why James is leading the league in production for a few years now. Let's get one thing straight first - without him Heat wouldn't even sniff NBA finals and that's a damn FACT

knickswin
12-06-2011, 10:11 PM
I would take Dirk over Lebron for sure. Dirk was the best player in the league last season IMO.

Stuckey
12-06-2011, 10:29 PM
durant and rose

DaPerceive
12-06-2011, 10:38 PM
if he isn't then who is in your opinion?
Nowitzki? He was clutch during the most important moments in playoffs, but his overall production and impact aren't on Bron's level. I know this board loves to overrate "clutch" factor and stuff, but let me tell ya that all 48 minutes of NBA game are important and that's why James is leading the league in production for a few years now. Let's get one thing straight first - without him Heat wouldn't even sniff NBA finals and that's a damn FACT
Wade or Howard is.

And without either Wade or Bosh the Heat wouldn't sniff the NBA finals either. What is your point?

Celtics4ever
12-06-2011, 10:46 PM
LeBron James is easily the most overrated in the league. And the way it's been looking, he might end up being the most overrated player in NBA history when he retires.

MMM
12-06-2011, 10:50 PM
LeBron is overhyped but that doesn't necessarily make him overrated.

ballinhun8
12-06-2011, 10:56 PM
Chris Paul.

People act like its 2008. Guy is not someone you wanna go to battle with as your leader.

madmax
12-06-2011, 11:12 PM
Wade or Howard is.

And without either Wade or Bosh the Heat wouldn't sniff the NBA finals either. What is your point?

Wade? Please, he had plenty of chances to be "alpha" dog of a new team and failed. He can't create like Lebron, doesn't have his size and even shooting ability...the only thing he can do is slash and score on his drives to the basket. He's simply a limited player.

Howard would be in conversation IF only he had a bit more competitive nature in him and played hard all the time. To me it looks like he's doofing most of the time on court and you simply can't win at this level if you are just a big immature child in grown man's body.

Micku
12-06-2011, 11:22 PM
Right now? Probably Rose. I think he had more votes to enter the NBA defense team than Artest and Wade? And there are mags that put him as top 3 in the league I believe.

Kobe is overrated too still. There are several people who don't put Wade over him as the best SG even though Wade had the better season and playoff run. And Kobe didn't do so well againt Dallas. And Kobe got on the first defense team instead of Tony Allen.

Dirk was getting overrated when some ppl in the media called him a top 10 player NBA player ever.

AirRaptor
12-06-2011, 11:24 PM
Wow, I don't think Amar'e has been mentioned yet; surprising, because he doesn't rebound OR defend...

Celtics4ever
12-06-2011, 11:25 PM
Chris Paul.

People act like its 2008. Guy is not someone you wanna go to battle with as your leader.

I agree. Chris Paul and LeBron are the most overrated. Especially when people still consider Chris Paul a top 5 player.

AirRaptor
12-06-2011, 11:31 PM
Kobe is overrated too still. There are several people who don't put Wade over him as the best SG even though Wade had the better season and playoff run. And Kobe didn't do so well againt Dallas. And Kobe got on the first defense team instead of Tony Allen.

YES, so true! Kobe got named to the all-defensive 1st team based on his rep, even though he was coasting on defense for the whole season to protect his creaky knees! BTW I would have put Wade on the 1st team defense ahead of Allen.

Dirk was getting overrated when some ppl in the media called him a top 10 player NBA player ever.

Yeah, I was shaking my head at that :facepalm

Dwyane Rose
12-07-2011, 12:44 AM
Some of you might not like this, but Dwight Howard.

People debate who's better, him or Shaq. It's not even close. Helps Howard's case that there's no other great center in the league.

Rookie Shaq > Prime Howard

Doesn't mean Dwight Howard isn't a top 5 player, but those who rate him above Shaq are crazy.

RobertdeMeijer
12-07-2011, 05:03 AM
One of the worst posts in this thread.

My most overrated player?

Kevin Love, no contest really.

In that case let me explain:
Carmelo Anthony gets a lot of hype, but I have yet to see him improve a team. Yes, Denver did get better when he joined them, but they also received Marcus Camby and Andre Miller, later Chauncey Billups. When he left, they got better (although I think many agree it was a lopsided trade). The Knicks didn't get better with him either.
Looking at his stats, it makes sense: he shoots too many 3-pointers (although he seems to be hitting them in D'Antoni's system) and he makes his fair share of turnovers. I often hear how he's an elite scorer, but scoring 25 points a game on 30%+ usage is nothing to write home about. Offensively, he's good, but not great.
And then there's his defense, which is just really bad. We all know this, but it's not a popular thing to put emphasis on.

(e)
12-07-2011, 05:30 AM
Rondo. Dude is in the NBA and can't hit a 15 footer. Seriously, when teams just leave you wide open...you suck.

He's pretty solid on defense though, but it's laughable how people consider him a top 5 pg in the league. He's a good one dimensional player on a good team.

knicksman
12-07-2011, 06:14 AM
LeBron James is easily the most overrated in the league. And the way it's been looking, he might end up being the most overrated player in NBA history when he retires.

Youre joking right. Hes not beating his father, oscar robertson.

MMM
12-07-2011, 06:26 AM
Rondo. Dude is in the NBA and can't hit a 15 footer. Seriously, when teams just leave you wide open...you suck.

He's pretty solid on defense though, but it's laughable how people consider him a top 5 pg in the league. He's a good one dimensional player on a good team.

Rondo's midrange isn't the problem at least not in perspective to his lack of finishing ability in traffic and overall lack of scoring moves in. If anything though Rondo is underrated because he get very little credit. Even the things he has always done well are ignored because of the perceived supporting cast around him.

D-Wade316
12-07-2011, 06:30 AM
Right now? Probably Rose. I think he had more votes to enter the NBA defense team than Artest and Wade? And there are mags that put him as top 3 in the league I believe.
Yes. He did have more all-defensive team votes than Wade. I was like ":wtf: these accolades have completely lost their value".

Yes. He always has been. Him being on the All-Nba and All-defensive first team is a joke. :facepalm Wade UNDOUBTEDLY had the better season yet he was placed in the 2nd team.

Obvious. It was Carlisle who said that.