PDA

View Full Version : Shaquille O'Neal: "Chris Paul Is Not Better Than Rajon Rondo"

Legends66NBA7
12-01-2011, 03:21 AM
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2011/11/30/shaq-chris-paul-is-not-better-than-rajon-rondo/

[QUOTE]BOSTON (CBS)

DuMa
12-01-2011, 03:25 AM
shaq has been totally wrong for this past week.

yobore
12-01-2011, 03:27 AM
Chris Paul scores a lot of points, but when was the last time they made it to the playoffs? Thank you very much.
:roll:
this guy really pays close attention to the NBA

I still hope hes a fixture on TNT

32Dayz
12-01-2011, 03:27 AM
I respect Shaq as a person and as a player but this is probably the dumbest comment he has ever made.

He is obviously speaking from the heart on this one and not his brain.

Gundress
12-01-2011, 03:30 AM
One thing Rondo does that Chirs Paul doesn't is play defense.

Rondo was unstoppable in playoff series and he's the better 1 on 1 defender

I still don't understand why they would give Rondo up?

rodman91
12-01-2011, 03:31 AM
Shaq became a full time troll after retiring.He looks like one too.

Most of the powerforwards & centers shoot better than Rondo.However, he is as good as Paul at other parts of the game if not better.

ballup
12-01-2011, 03:36 AM
Is this really surprising? Shaq always says something that leaves you dumbfounded at his lack of judgement.

bdreason
12-01-2011, 03:36 AM
CP3 shits on Rondo, c'mon son. :facepalm

stallionaire
12-01-2011, 03:37 AM
Never thought I'd want to see Shaq back on the court, but if he keeps talking about shit... Goddamn...

noob cake
12-01-2011, 03:38 AM
CP3 shits on Rondo, c'mon son. :facepalm

CP3 is better than Rondo at every facet of the game, except for defense. When he tries, he is at least 75% the defensive player Rondo is.

csklmf
12-01-2011, 03:44 AM
If it was Rondo running the team of Hornets last year, they would compete against Twolves and Kings to fight for the worst record in West.

To me, CP3 is A, Rondo is C-.

R.I.P.
12-01-2011, 03:46 AM
[QUOTE]

ballup
12-01-2011, 03:56 AM
[QUOTE=R.I.P.]Shaq is the best. Next he

The Macho Man
12-01-2011, 03:58 AM
Okay Shaq, that's enough.

SevereUpInHere
12-01-2011, 04:09 AM
Rondo is hard to gauge because he's so unique as a player. Fans tend to overrate him badly and haters tend to make him look like a glorified defensive Jose Calderon.

This might be the best description of Rondo I've seen in a while.

BGriffin's Dad
12-01-2011, 04:15 AM
Rondo is hard to gauge because he's so unique as a player. Fans tend to overrate him badly and haters tend to make him look like a glorified defensive Jose Calderon.

I agree that CP3 is getting overrated at this point. He didn't have a great season (nor did Rondo), and he was usually ranked away from the number one spot. But after one good playoff series against the Lakers, he jumped back into the conversation like it was sealed.

Purely as a basketball fan, there's something really different about watching Rondo when he's hot, compared to CP3. Definitely more exciting to watch, imo.

HurricaneKid
12-01-2011, 04:22 AM
How do I feel about this quote? I feel I finally understand his Kobe is LA Goat comments...

Smoke117
12-01-2011, 04:27 AM
Shaq should probably just stop making comments about ANYTHING basketball related at this point.

ballsohard247
12-01-2011, 04:42 AM
Yeah, Shaq has no idea what he's taking about here. Paul and Rondo are basically the same player, but Paul is an excellent shooter and Rondo might as well shoot with his left hand.

kNIOKAS
12-01-2011, 06:44 AM
Well he might be just on point with Rondo being big part of celtics team. I think he truly is... And I like his character. I like Rondo... I'm not sure about Paul

Rolando
12-01-2011, 06:47 AM
Paul is better but he strikes me as a whiney flopper.

InspiredLebowski
12-01-2011, 06:52 AM
This is one of the handful of times I'm fully confident in saying one of the best players in the history of the game is being a moron. And that's counting Jordan's post-playing career. The ONLY thing Rondo is better at is defense, which I realize is oversimplifying, "defense" isn't just an all encompassing thing, but I digress. It's not like Paul's a bad defender. The defensive downgrade from Rondo to Paul is immensely less than every other facet of the game.

It's just a completely stupid statement.

Kyle_korver
12-01-2011, 08:29 AM
only reason why shaq like rond0 is cause they got the same free throw precentage lol

rondo is garbage
not an offensive threat
overrated defender ask rookie derrick rose and i recall mo williams having 20 in the first half on him
name a time cp3 got torched by another pg in the playoffs??

:facepalm

Kevin_Gamble
12-01-2011, 08:47 AM
only reason why shaq like rond0 is cause they got the same free throw precentage lol

rondo is garbage
not an offensive threat
overrated defender ask rookie derrick rose and i recall mo williams having 20 in the first half on him
name a time cp3 got torched by another pg in the playoffs??

Tony Parker and Chauncey Billups. But since CP3's only faced 4 teams in the playoffs in his entire career, and two of those 4 were Lakers and Dallas with 40 year old Kidd, you can safely say that CP3 gets torched every single time he plays against a PG capable of scoring.

shootingcomets
12-01-2011, 09:00 AM
Shaq should have his own talk show and talk about politics

Knicks101
12-01-2011, 09:16 AM
People actually want to see this unfunny dumb ass on TNT?

jcyrus10
12-01-2011, 09:54 AM
Shaq, STFU. Rondo is good, but CP3 is better.

bluechox2
12-01-2011, 10:26 AM
rondo's value with garnet/allen/pierce atm >>>>> rondo's value when the other 3 are on crutches

that is why they are looking for trades

jlip
12-01-2011, 11:02 AM
This is a classic example of why the argument, "Even the players, themselves said <insert player's name here> is better", is not always valid.

Disaprine
12-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Shaq being Shaq, nothing new at all.

greymatter
12-01-2011, 11:16 AM

He was all NBA defense 1st team prior to his torn meniscus. Amazing how kids have such short memories. Everything's about WTF have you done for me lately.

brisbaneman
12-01-2011, 11:25 AM
He's right. Paul is overrated as hell.

I.R.Beast
12-01-2011, 11:58 AM

Rondo is vastly overrated, but it's not hard to be a better defender than chris paul since the guy does nothing but reach and gamble for steals.

However i'd rather have paul than Rondo any day of the week.

I.R.Beast
12-01-2011, 11:59 AM
He's right. Paul is overrated as hell.

Paul is overrated but still easily better than rondo

brisbaneman
12-01-2011, 12:02 PM
Paul is overrated but still easily better than rondo

It depends what you need/want. If you have an established star then Rondo is who you want. If you have to build a team from scratch, then Paul. But history has proven that PG is the most overrated position and you rarely if ever win with a ball dominant PG. So that's why I'd rather have Rondo. He doesn't need 50 screens a possession like Paul in order to succeed and he distributes just as well as Paul.

AznTacoLover
12-01-2011, 12:14 PM
Shaq be trolling us

NoGunzJustSkillz
12-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Purely as a basketball fan, there's something really different about watching Rondo when he's hot, compared to CP3. Definitely more exciting to watch, imo.
ummm maybe cause he's surrounded by Hall of Famers?

Reverend Hoops
12-01-2011, 12:44 PM
The better the player, the worser the analyst.

kenny817
12-01-2011, 01:00 PM

Because CP3 is vastly superior in every category except defense

kenny817
12-01-2011, 01:01 PM
ummm maybe cause he's surrounded by Hall of Famers?
I really hate your avi...but you speak truth here^

kenny817
12-01-2011, 01:06 PM
Paul and Rondo are basically the same player
http://jestertrek.com/eve/blog/icons/serious.jpg

I.R.Beast
12-01-2011, 01:09 PM
It depends what you need/want. If you have an established star then Rondo is who you want. If you have to build a team from scratch, then Paul. But history has proven that PG is the most overrated position and you rarely if ever win with a ball dominant PG. So that's why I'd rather have Rondo. He doesn't need 50 screens a possession like Paul in order to succeed and he distributes just as well as Paul.

Aint it the truth. History clearly shows that a team is better served with a play making by committe approach where as the offense facilitates itself via ball movement extra passes etc. Spurs, Lakers, Celtics in 08, Heat in 06.... all teams without a PG racking up assists and dominating the ball.

Legends66NBA7
12-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Going over the comments, you can see why taking every single quote from NBA greats as a citation to help out an argument of justify a stance is futile as it is inaccurate most of the time and completely biased.

I mean yes, it's Shaq. I'm not all surprised when looking back at his previous ridiculous quotes like this one about the 2009 MVP race:

So some brave soul raised the possibility that the guy across the hall in TD Banknorth Garden — Boston Celtics forward Kevin Garnett -- might be in the discussion as well. O’Neal shook his head. No way.

"I’m going to have to go with my guy before him," he said, motioning to teammate Amare Stoudemire’s locker. "All day, every day. Garnett doesn't play defense".

I mean the gap on defense between Rondo and Paul isn't even that big. They play defense completely different too. Rondo is better on the ball defender, more versatile. Paul plays the passing lanes, gambles more.

If we’re going to take All-Defense teams at full face value, Rondo was on the 1st team; Paul was on the 2nd team.

Let's hope Shaq can tone it down and at least try to be funny when TNT starts. I think that's why they hired him anyways...

12-01-2011, 03:17 PM
Chris Paul Is Not Better Than Rajon Rondo

He is senile already at age 39?

Bigsmoke
12-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Lol. Rondo? Really Shaq?

BlackWhiteGreen
12-01-2011, 04:50 PM
:oldlol: we'll see Shaq... at least he'll get people talking. Trolling with no obvious team bias/agenda... this will be fun.

MMM
12-01-2011, 04:51 PM
CP3 is the better player but in defense of Shaq he id use the term definition of a PG. We've had threads on this board with multiple definitions of PG so from that perspective his opinion might not be as crazy as it seems but I would like to see what he means by "true PG".

DFish
12-01-2011, 05:00 PM
CP3 is the better player but in defense of Shaq he id use the term definition of a PG. We've had threads on this board with multiple definitions of PG so from that perspective his opinion might not be as crazy as it seems but I would like to see what he means by "true PG".

He was saying that Rondo gets his teammates involved better than Paul, he's a better passer than Paul, runs an offense better than Paul, defends better than Paul, etc. Shaq has a legitimate point.

Chris Paul is a better scorer, although that can change if Rondo improves his shots.

La Frescobaldi
12-01-2011, 05:11 PM
Bill Russell was a good analyst... he didn't talk about the shot he talked about what was happening weak side to set up the play, or why the combat in the paint was deciding the game regardless of what the score was at that point

La Frescobaldi
12-01-2011, 05:14 PM
lot of hate for Rondo I see.

Rondo is monstrous good and he don't look like Vlade Divac flops

Legends66NBA7
12-01-2011, 05:30 PM
lot of hate for Rondo I see.

Rondo is monstrous good and he don't look like Vlade Divac flops

I think there is also a beef between both players:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3LxG2iu0SI

Rondo said something along the lines of: "You will never win a championship".

But Rondo needs to factor in that he has a way better team around him and he was never the best player on his team. Where does he rank from 08-11 as a player on Boston?

Paul clearly is the best on his team.

12-01-2011, 05:35 PM
Would give up Rondo in a heartbeat for CP3

bdreason
12-01-2011, 06:23 PM
CP3 is better than Rondo at every facet of the game. Not only is he a far superior scorer/shooter, but he had more steals, assists, and rebounds last season, while also posting less turnovers.

The only difference? CP3 plays at a slower pace, with far inferior teammates. So please, let's not act like Rondo is in the same league as CP3. A Rondo ran Hornets team would be drowning at the bottom of the Western Conference.

JMT
12-01-2011, 07:10 PM
He was saying that Rondo gets his teammates involved better than Paul, he's a better passer than Paul, runs an offense better than Paul, defends better than Paul, etc. Shaq has a legitimate point.

Chris Paul is a better scorer, although that can change if Rondo improves his shots.

Rondo is never going to be a great or even very good scorer. That said, he shoots a higher % from the field than Chris Paul. And while Paul's numbers have trended down the last three seasons, Rondo's have improved.

Each brings different things to the floor. For a low post big man like Shaq, I'm not surprised he'd prefer the pass first, happy if he never shoots, elite defender PG.

The game is more than who scores the prettiest.

Legends66NBA7
12-01-2011, 07:11 PM
CP3 is better than Rondo at every facet of the game. Not only is he a far superior scorer/shooter, but he had more steals, assists, and rebounds last season, while also posting less turnovers.

The only difference? CP3 plays at a slower pace, with far inferior teammates. So please, let's not act like Rondo is in the same league as CP3. A Rondo ran Hornets team would be drowning at the bottom of the Western Conference.

You said it. The Western Conference is the tougher conference and has been for a quite some time.

Is Rondo really going to carry that Hornets team to the playoffs? Espically with David West missing the time he did?

305Baller
12-01-2011, 07:20 PM
http://www.sociallunchbox.com/public/slb/imagecache/600x600-preview/files/images/shaq-and-his-girlfriend.jpeg

La Frescobaldi
12-01-2011, 07:34 PM
it is a fact Rondo has one or two guys worth dishin to.... somebody said on here what if they were traded straight up would the Hornets collapse, I say no, they wouldn't.

Rondo's got a serious game. Wondering if his arm is worse than we know about

ballsohard247
12-01-2011, 08:12 PM
http://jestertrek.com/eve/blog/icons/serious.jpg
CP3 and Rondo are both pass first PGs who have great passing ability and court vision. Both can finish around the basket and are great at shooting the gap to get steals. However CP3 is obviously a better shooter.:confusedshrug:

I.R.Beast
12-01-2011, 08:25 PM
Paul is better but he strikes me as a whiney flopper.

nail on the head....It sickens me watching him play, his flopping is disgusting and i wish officials would ignore it.

Legends66NBA7
12-01-2011, 08:25 PM
CP3 and Rondo are both pass first PGs who have great passing ability and court vision. Both can finish around the basket and are great at shooting the gap to get steals. However CP3 is obviously a better shooter.:confusedshrug:

http://gyazo.com/b4c5fe1faf12306c32a282b8956a375a.png

http://gyazo.com/8fd1db9f223e264bf1133aeb4b758b0a.png

Not even a question who's the better shooter. Just look at CP3's consistency, espically in the mid-range category.

La Frescobaldi
12-01-2011, 08:47 PM
seems like consensus on here is CP3 > than Rajon but everybody detests a flopper

Legends66NBA7
12-01-2011, 08:52 PM
seems like consensus on here is CP3 > than Rajon but everybody detests a flopper

So the arguement you have is that we shouldn think lower of CP3 over Rondo because Paul's a flopper?

Rondo has better overall defense and is the better offensive rebounder. He does give the Celtics more plays.

Paul is better in every other facet though.

MaxFly
12-01-2011, 08:56 PM
Shaq should probably just stop making comments about ANYTHING basketball related at this point.

Cosign... my goodness, he's become a troll... a very large one.

G-train
12-01-2011, 09:15 PM
Not sure if Paul could give Boston much more than Rondo in terms of play.
Paul has definitely lost half a step too.

La Frescobaldi
12-02-2011, 06:17 AM
No not sayin that at all... I was just readin up and that's what I saw everybody sayin, they think Paul is better but they hate a floppist.

Me personal? I say if the tape shows you flopped in a NBA game, 3 game suspension. That's the very worst NBA thing to me

nashwade
12-02-2011, 11:27 AM
when you play PG for a team with Pierce, Allen and KG, it's hard to be 'bad'

i'm sure Goran Dragic can look like an all star playing for Celtics

Bigsmoke
12-02-2011, 11:33 AM

what the **** is wrong with you?

Bigsmoke
12-02-2011, 11:36 AM

rep

nashwade
12-03-2011, 10:46 AM
oh and CP's defense is as good as steve nash

not to say that rondo's defense is any good either

Tlova
12-03-2011, 03:17 PM
Paul by far, after seeing the leaps and bounds rose and westbrook made last year i wonder if rondo will attempt to work on his j and offensive arsenal, the big 3 have 1 mo year left.

ballsohard247
12-03-2011, 03:21 PM
Paul by far, after seeing the leaps and bounds rose and westbrook made last year i wonder if rondo will attempt to work on his j and offensive arsenal, the big 3 have 1 mo year left.
It's five on four when you play the Celtics cause you don't have to respect Rondo's shot. I don't think he can improve his shot. People claim his huge-ass hands have something to do with it, but MJ had big hands too.

Go Getter
12-03-2011, 03:30 PM
A lot of people in here dissin' Shaq when they don't know shit about ball.

Shaq is a HOF big man....of course he likes the PG that shoots less and plays better perimeter defense.

Look at his POV.

Tlova
12-03-2011, 03:37 PM
I don't think he can improve his shot. People claim his huge-ass hands have something to do with it, but MJ had big hands too.
The hand thing is an excuse webber and doctor j had big hands and had no problems shooting the ball. With Ray, KG, and Pierce there to help him shoot one can only wonder y his shot is JV level at best. I think it's time he realized that the celtics would have been even more potent offensively if rondo improved his shot didn't the 2010 finals teach him that:confusedshrug:

It's five on four when you play the Celtics cause you
More like 3 on 5 with Perk and JO @ C.

PP34Deuce
12-03-2011, 09:36 PM
Lets see....

they are both only 1 year apart so the age is not a big deal.

Overall Athletiscm-Even. Paul is stronger and quicker, Rondo is faster and higher leaper.

Offense- Paul is a better shooter in every sense.

Defense- Rondo is able to guard SG's more effectively because of his longer frame and quick hands. Rondo is a better team defender as well as the guy I want on a Westbrook/Rose/Ellis type of scoring PG/SG

Rebounding- Slight nod to Rondo but Paul can def board.
Passing- Rondo.

I also think you factor in who will age better...I think Rondo is naturally more durable than Paul has shown. Paul is scary to give a HUGE contract extension to because I think he will hit the wall HARD at 29-30. I think Rondo at 31 will still be a guy that can give you defense, 10-13ppg, double digit assists and momentum plays defensively.

RoseCity07
12-03-2011, 09:37 PM
Yes he is. Chris Paul would have won 2 or 3 championships with that Boston team. Rondo isn't so hot when he doesn't have a great team around him. Chris Paul made Aaron Gray look good in the playoffs. AARON GRAY!!!!!

BankShot
12-03-2011, 09:44 PM
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2011/11/30/shaq-chris-paul-is-not-better-than-rajon-rondo/

Biased and inaccurate much?

Of course he's biased.... he has done this at every stage of his career. He talks up the players he's currently tied to (the Celtics) and talks down about teams/players/coaches of the past.

Legends66NBA7
12-03-2011, 09:47 PM
Of course he's biased.... he has done this at every stage of his career. He talks up the players he's currently tied to (the Celtics) and talks down about teams/players/coaches of the past.

Yup, pretty much.

Inaccurate was the part where he said when has Chris Paul made the playoffs ? Well... the last year you were in the league Shaq...

ballsohard247
12-03-2011, 09:51 PM
I think saying outrageous things is going to be his commenting strategy. Just saying stuff like "Derrick Rose is so athletic he could average 10 rebounds a game." Crazy stuff.

Edit: I spelled Rose's name wrong. SMH

PP34Deuce
12-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Yes he is. Chris Paul would have won 2 or 3 championships with that Boston team. Rondo isn't so hot when he doesn't have a great team around him. Chris Paul made Aaron Gray look good in the playoffs. AARON GRAY!!!!!

Rondo has made BOS bench much better than they are. Yes in 2008 he got the keys to a Mercedes benz but the last 2 years he has been valuable to the development of Davis,Perkins, and now Jeff Green.

Tlova
12-04-2011, 01:34 PM
Rondo has made BOS bench much better than they are. Yes in 2008 he got the keys to a Mercedes benz but the last 2 years he has been valuable to the development of Davis,Perkins, and now Jeff Green.
No, the vets, player improvement and coaching staff did that.

Meticode
12-04-2011, 01:50 PM
[QUOTE=Shaquille O'Neal]

MMM
12-04-2011, 01:54 PM
So are people going to forget the 40+ mins he usually plays in the playoffs( the only Celtics player who can) and are going to forget that he at times uplifted mediocre bench players over the last 3 seasons???? All this HOF talent that he needs to be surrounded by is quite frankly overblown since they haven't been at that level since 2008. Heck only Pierce has played at a All-star level the last few seasons.

GOBB
12-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Shaq says dumb things. This is among them. And KG doesnt play defense as he motioned to Amare Stoudemire lock is hilarious. You cant write a better funny than that.

Tlova
12-04-2011, 02:08 PM
So are people going to forget the 40+ mins he usually plays in the playoffs( the only Celtics player who can) This is due to his youth but the big three play when the game matters most.

are going to forget that he at times uplifted mediocre bench players over the last 3 seasons???? He ran the offense and the celtics had a decent bench the last few years w/ pj brown, sheed, nate, marquis, posey, baby, and tony allen.

All this HOF talent that he needs to be surrounded by is quite frankly overblown since they haven't been at that level since 2008. True, but other players have improved such a big baby and perk.

Heck only Pierce has played at a All-star level the last few seasons Yet he has been a 9

Dave3
12-04-2011, 02:29 PM
That's the thing about Shaq...if he was a poster on this forum he'd be one of those trolls with 7 red squares and everyone would call him a retard. But because he was good at basketball, his opinions are made public, and people might actually listen to him...just because he was in the NBA.

GOBB
12-04-2011, 02:41 PM
That's the thing about Shaq...if he was a poster on this forum he'd be one of those trolls with 7 red squares and everyone would call him a retard. But because he was good at basketball, his opinions are made public, and people might actually listen to him...just because he was in the NBA.

AlphaWolf24
12-04-2011, 02:42 PM

and here the thing about you.....online you have imaginary "rep"...."green little blocks"...you can sit here and talk basketball ,play grab azz and rep and recieve it...

if you ever tried to actually play basketball or coach basketball you would get laughed at, made fun of and no one would ever take you serious...

I let you decide which one is more important...

next

GOBB
12-04-2011, 02:48 PM
Funny thing is you get laughed at, clowned and no one takes you serious. So your post just failed. :roll: Oh wait...

*puts u in back pocket*

next

AlphaWolf24
12-04-2011, 02:53 PM
Funny thing is you get laughed at, clowned and no one takes you serious. So your post just failed. :roll: Oh wait...

*puts u in back pocket*

next

(looks around)...U talkin 2 Me???...U talkin 2 Me?.....you gotta be.....I'm the only one here..

I carry this whole site....when the ****! hit the fan who was the one leading the pack?...me....

I brought the rain.....I started the fire....holla at me when you have a thread over 100,000 posts, with everyone all over da webz bitin...

until then I expect more.....

recognize game when it's in yo face son.....

next

Dave3
12-04-2011, 03:02 PM
and here the thing about you.....online you have imaginary "rep"...."green little blocks"...you can sit here and talk basketball ,play grab azz and rep and recieve it...

if you ever tried to actually play basketball or coach basketball you would get laughed at, made fun of and no one would ever take you serious...

I let you decide which one is more important...

next
Ok.

KeylessEntry
12-04-2011, 03:06 PM
Im not even sure that rondo is a better defender than cp3. Rondo is surrounded by good defensive players and there is not much help in new orleans. CP3 has lead the league in steals in 3 out of the past 4 years.

Dave3
12-04-2011, 03:06 PM
Players time and time again prove their ignorance and yet they're always the primary source cited for opinions.

Pippen saying LeBron might be better than Jordan.
Monta Ellis calling himself 2nd behind Kobe in 2010.
Shaq saying Amar'e>Garnett because of defense...the year Garnett won DPOY
Shaq with this now, commenting on the Hornets not making the playoffs? WTH? Did he not play in the same league as them? How do you not know who makes the playoffs in your own league?

And this is all off the top of my head too. Wonder how many stupid things have been said in total in the past 3 years...

MMM
12-04-2011, 03:15 PM
[QUOTE=Tlova]
Yet he has been a 9

ballup
12-04-2011, 03:52 PM
[QUOTE=Tlova]This is due to his youth but the big three play when the game matters most.
He ran the offense and the celtics had a decent bench the last few years w/ pj brown, sheed, nate, marquis, posey, baby, and tony allen.
True, but other players have improved such a big baby and perk.
Yet he has been a 9

Kyle_korver
12-04-2011, 04:01 PM
Rondo has the worst jumpshot out of ANY active pg.. Bench to starter

What's your excuse for that??

End of games when celtics need to make free throws .. Rondos on the bench

Chris Paul would never deal with either of those problems

Rondo sucks

Case closed / thread

If you think he's better than set your head on fire

Scholar
12-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Chris Paul scores a lot of points, but when was the last time they made it to the playoffs? Thank you very much.

As a Lakers fan, I have to admit I was nervous during the 2011 Playoffs when Paul was dominating the Lakers by himself.

Shaq must not pay much attention to the League.

MooseJuiceBowen
12-04-2011, 04:19 PM
shaq is becoming the new charles barkley. spouting off dumb sh1t. rondo doesnt do one thing better then cp3

BGriffin's Dad
12-04-2011, 04:22 PM
shaq is becoming the new charles barkley. spouting off dumb sh1t. rondo doesnt do one thing better then cp3

except win rings

tpols
12-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Rondo is definitely a better defender and much better rebounder than Paul. He has a 6'10 wingspan with incredible quickness.. Paul isn't close to being as good a defender or big a pest. Rondo is really good at grabbing offensive boards and sneaking around after a defense grabs the board to come up with a deflection or a steal. He is one of the best pure passers/decision makers at the PG slot in the game. The big difference between him and Paul is that Paul can dominate a game offensively as a main option.. Rondo cant because he cant shoot and his scoring style is unorthodox but he still gives you everything you could possibly want from a point guard.

MooseJuiceBowen
12-04-2011, 04:44 PM
imagine rondo on those new orleans hornets teams. they wouldnt of done near the damage they did. they almost took out the spurs in a crazy series and that was all paul. he made dwest. people are going to see when paul goes to a real team. he may be a flopper but the kid is the real deal

Dave3
12-04-2011, 04:52 PM
except win rings
Really? Comparing them in rings when one has been a 1st option his entire career, and the other won a ring as like the 4th or 5th option?

BGriffin's Dad
12-04-2011, 04:55 PM
Really? Comparing them in rings when one has been a 1st option his entire career, and the other won a ring as like the 4th or 5th option?

i was only half serious

tpols
12-04-2011, 04:58 PM
imagine rondo on those new orleans hornets teams. they wouldnt of done near the damage they did. they almost took out the spurs in a crazy series and that was all paul. he made dwest. people are going to see when paul goes to a real team. he may be a flopper but the kid is the real deal
Rondo's game was molded around the team he was on though. He was on a team that had a bunch of great scorers and shooters so he was never relied upon for scoring.. thats why he adapted such a strong passing role where he rarely shoots it. And he was a beast defender in 09 and 10.. I remember him dominating games against the cavs with pure defense and hustle. I dont think he's as big a talent as Paul but Rondo is still one of the best pure point guards in the league.

I dont really consider Rose and Westbrook pure point guards though.. they think score before pass which shouldn't be the role of a PG.

MooseJuiceBowen
12-04-2011, 04:59 PM
i have rondo in my top 10 but not in my not 5 pg list

I have paul #1

Dave3
12-04-2011, 05:05 PM
i was only half serious
Should be closer to 0% serious.

RRR3
12-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Rondo is definitely a better defender and much better rebounder than Paul. He has a 6'10 wingspan with incredible quickness.. Paul isn't close to being as good a defender or big a pest. Rondo is really good at grabbing offensive boards and sneaking around after a defense grabs the board to come up with a deflection or a steal. He is one of the best pure passers/decision makers at the PG slot in the game. The big difference between him and Paul is that Paul can dominate a game offensively as a main option.. Rondo cant because he cant shoot and his scoring style is unorthodox but he still gives you everything you could possibly want from a point guard.
He's not a "much better rebounder", he's slightly better. Check the stats.

Legends66NBA7
12-04-2011, 06:04 PM
He's not a "much better rebounder", he's slightly better. Check the stats.

He's a better offensive rebounder for sure and that's why I will put him over Paul in that category overall, though yes the stats are close.

When you can keep extra plays alive for your team as the point guard, it shows that you have some terrific rebounding instincts.

Why teams forget to box him out is beyond me. I see it time and time again that Rondo just seems to get to offensive rebounds.

AlphaWolf24
12-04-2011, 08:38 PM
Players time and time again prove their ignorance and yet they're always the primary source cited for opinions.

Pippen saying LeBron might be better than Jordan.
Monta Ellis calling himself 2nd behind Kobe in 2010.
Shaq saying Amar'e>Garnett because of defense...the year Garnett won DPOY
Shaq with this now, commenting on the Hornets not making the playoffs? WTH? Did he not play in the same league as them? How do you not know who makes the playoffs in your own league?

And this is all off the top of my head too. Wonder how many stupid things have been said in total in the past 3 years...

every NBA player saying his stupid opinions EVER!!!.....is NO where close to 1 hour of ISH saying theirs...:roll:

d.bball.guy
12-04-2011, 09:35 PM
STFU Shaq

Dave3
12-04-2011, 09:41 PM
every NBA player saying his stupid opinions EVER!!!.....is NO where close to 1 hour of ISH saying theirs...:roll:
Yeah yeah, I get it, you hate Kobe.

Lucifer
12-04-2011, 10:29 PM
UM yes he is :roll:

Legends66NBA7
06-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Bump.

Although Shaq's reasons aren't valid as to why Paul's not better... what do you guys think after their seasons ended this year ?

Paul probably had the better overall year, but that playoff run by Rondo was pretty good too as well.

Clippersfan86
06-10-2012, 04:01 PM
Bump.

Although Shaq's reasons aren't valid as to why Paul's not better... what do you guys think after their seasons ended this year ?

Paul probably had the better overall year, but that playoff run by Rondo was pretty good too as well.

Rondo's great playoff run no doubt put him in the top 3 discussion. I just don't get why every year he coasts regular season and turns it up in playoffs. If he did it consistently, all season people may consider him the best PG.

unbreakable
06-10-2012, 04:13 PM
rondo -- best PG since 2003 Jason Kidd carried the Nets to the Finals

The_Yearning
06-10-2012, 04:18 PM
Rondo's great playoff run no doubt put him in the top 3 discussion. I just don't get why every year he coasts regular season and turns it up in playoffs. If he did it consistently, all season people may consider him the best PG.

Uhh because the playoffs is when it actually matters? Rondo has been there and done that. The same can't be said for CPIII... a guy who has never even sniffed the WCF.

unbreakable
06-10-2012, 04:18 PM
rondo has a ring and would have 2 if perk didnt get hurt

Punpun
06-10-2012, 05:06 PM
Shaq once again proven true. :bowdown:

SyRyanYang
06-10-2012, 06:34 PM
That's about right

upside24
06-10-2012, 06:42 PM
Bump.

Noble bump.

TheBluest
06-11-2012, 12:51 PM
I believe Shaq meant to say or should have been quoted as saying Finals and not Playoffs

TheBluest
06-11-2012, 12:53 PM

I'll raise you with a better question....

How come teams can contain him to a small degree during the regular season but can't to any degree during the Playoffs when everyone's game and game plans should be elevated?

If he hadn't blown so many layups he would have averaged easily over 20ppg across the entire playoffs. He basically did whatever he wanted to do.

Fiasco
06-11-2012, 01:01 PM
The only ring Rondo won was with the Big Three near the end of their primes. Anyone who wants to tell me Chris Paul wouldn't have his own ring (or multiple, considering his '08 season) with Allen, Pierce, and Garnett is stupid.

CP3 injured his groin heading into the playoffs and re-aggravated it during that series with Memphis. He still put up respectable numbers considering who was coaching.

Dictator
06-11-2012, 01:02 PM
It's true.

CavaliersFTW
06-11-2012, 01:06 PM
The only ring Rondo won was with the Big Three near the end of their primes. Anyone who wants to tell me Chris Paul wouldn't have his own ring (or multiple, considering his '08 season) with Allen, Pierce, and Garnett is stupid.

CP3 injured his groin heading into the playoffs and re-aggravated it during that series with Memphis. He still put up respectable numbers considering who was coaching.

lakerfreak
06-11-2012, 01:52 PM
I've never seen a greater performance in the playoffs from a point guard than what Rondo has done these past few weeks. Then again, Im only 24. I was too young to understand the game when the 80's and early 90's rolled around.

But someone like Rondo, not as much flashy skills as a CP3, or Deron, or Nash...or anyone else like that, takes advantage of his most valuable talents in his speed and athleticism. As a result he creates great opportunities for the seasoned big three. At the same time he does everything from defending, to scoring, to rebounding....

If he had a consistent wide open jumper, it wouldn't even be close. But even with that being the case, as a laker fan, I have a tremendous amount of respect for Rondo. I've always said, and will continue to say, he is the best true point guard in the NBA. With the team on his back, he gave the heat a run for their money. Can anyone play the half court game better than he does?

Clippersfan86
06-11-2012, 04:51 PM
Celtics were in the bottom 10 among NBA offenses and the Clippers were the 4th best offense. To say Rondo is the best halfcourt PG in the NBA is downright STUPID. Stop being prisoners of the moment people. I'm bookmarking this thread so when CP3 again is in the discussion for league MVP next year and Rondo is once again forgotten by people... you'll remember the stupidity.

Blue&Orange
06-11-2012, 05:02 PM
how many triple doubles does CP3 have on the playoffs?

Heavincent
06-11-2012, 05:04 PM
Celtics were in the bottom 10 among NBA offenses and the Clippers were the 4th best offense. To say Rondo is the best halfcourt PG in the NBA is downright STUPID. Stop being prisoners of the moment people. I'm bookmarking this thread so when CP3 again is in the discussion for league MVP next year and Rondo is once again forgotten by people... you'll remember the stupidity.

Just hope he doesn't let his team get blown out by 60 at home in the playoffs again.

Clippersfan86
06-11-2012, 05:10 PM
how many triple doubles does CP3 have on the playoffs?

How many 30 point games has Rondo had in the playoffs? It's a stupid question. How many 6+ steals does Rondo have compared to CP3? We can talk circles like that all day. Reality is CP3 is the consistently better PG and as I said come next season when Rondo is putting up 13 and 10 or so.... people will forget all about the things they said these playoffs.

Clippersfan86
06-11-2012, 05:11 PM
Just hope he doesn't let his team get blown out by 60 at home in the playoffs again.

He's on a better team now :confusedshrug: . Will never happen again. Clippers will win 50-55 games next year and be a significantly better team than any team he's played on. Chris Paul and Blake Griffin will emerge as the most well rounded and best all around duo in the NBA with significant improvements in chemistry. Both are likely playing on the Olympic team together so they have lots of time to gel.

krazymofo
06-11-2012, 05:12 PM
Oh Shaq, the crazy shit you say sometimes lol.

ZenMaster
06-11-2012, 05:12 PM

People who rate Rondo over Paul don't care about MVP discussion next season. It's about being the best when the playoffs come around.

Obv both are great very close as players. I like Rondo more because he turns it up for the playoffs and plays at an insanely high level, he's done that multiple years. The guy is just a mean fkuck on the court and does just about anything but shoot the ball well. He's not a flopper at heart like Paul, I like that about him too.

Blue&Orange
06-11-2012, 05:13 PM
How many 30 point games has Rondo had in the playoffs? It's a stupid question. How many 6+ steals does Rondo have compared to CP3? We can talk circles like that all day. Reality is CP3 is the consistently better PG and as I said come next season when Rondo is putting up 13 and 10 or so.... people will forget all about the things they said these playoffs.
Yeah because triple doubles = 30 point games :lol

Heavincent
06-11-2012, 05:13 PM
He's on a better team now :confusedshrug: . Will never happen again. Clippers will win 50-55 games next year and be a significantly better team than any team he's played on. Chris Paul and Blake Griffin will emerge as the most well rounded and best all around duo in the NBA with significant improvements in chemistry. Both are likely playing on the Olympic team together so they have lots of time to gel.

I don't care about his team. Scoring just 4 points in a 60 point blowout in the playoffs at home is ****ing humiliating and should never happen to a superstar. LOL at anyone that thinks he should have won the MVP over Kobe that year.

Clippersfan86
06-11-2012, 05:19 PM
I don't care about his team. Scoring just 4 points in a 60 point blowout in the playoffs at home is ****ing humiliating and should never happen to a superstar. LOL at anyone that thinks he should have won the MVP over Kobe that year.

MVP is a regular season award decided BEFORE the playoffs. He absolutely deserved the MVP in 08 as he turned in the 2nd best PG season of all time outside of Magic's best season. Kobe got the award about 2-3 years late because the league wanted to right their wrong of passing him up previously.

Obviously it's humiliating but the same way we saw the Spurs shutdown an injured CP3 in these last playoffs it's not hard to see what happened. Hornets didn't come to play and Nuggets centered entire defense around him same way Spurs did this year. If you are getting nonstop traps/double teams and full court pressure as a PG and teammates aren't getting open or hitting shots... you're pretty much helpless.

Clippersfan86
06-11-2012, 05:20 PM
Yeah because triple doubles = 30 point games :lol

Okay since you want to be an idiot.

Is a 30 point, 7 rebound, 10 assist, 4 steal game not greater than a 13, 13 and 13 game? This is exactly the kind of numbers difference you'll see when you compare CP3 vs Rondo's best games. CP3 usually has double the scoring and double the steals, not to mention doesn't give up much on assists or rebounds if you compare their best games.

Clippersfan86
06-11-2012, 05:23 PM
Chris Paul won the Western Conference Player of the Month Award with these numbers this last April.

"Paul helped the Clippers to a 9-5 record and steered them to their first playoff berth since 2005-06. He averaged 20.7 points, ranking fourth in West while pacing the league with 3.0 spg and leading the conference with 9.9 apg. He engineered six double-doubles, seven 20-point games and three 30-point games. On April 22, Paul scored 33 points, handed out 13 assists and had a season-high eight steals in a 107-98 win over New Orleans."

April 11 @ Oklahoma City: Registered 31 points in a 100-98 victory over the Thunder.
April 14 vs. Golden State: Recorded 28 points and 13 assists in a 112-104 win over the Warriors.
April 22 vs. New Orleans: Recorded 33 points to go along with 13 assists a season high eight steals in a 107-98 win over the Hornets.

Tell me when Rondo has turned in a 33 point, 13 assist, 7 rebound and 8 steal game? If he has it's probably the best game of his career. These kind of stat lines (besides the steals) aren't rare for CP3.

Rondo may always get his 10-15 assists... but he's rarely scoring 15, rarely racking up 5+ steals.

Chris Paul has a much more well rounded game and stat line.

Heavincent
06-11-2012, 05:26 PM
MVP is a regular season award decided BEFORE the playoffs. He absolutely deserved the MVP in 08 as he turned in the 2nd best PG season of all time outside of Magic's best season. Kobe got the award about 2-3 years late because the league wanted to right their wrong of passing him up previously.

Obviously it's humiliating but the same way we saw the Spurs shutdown an injured CP3 in these last playoffs it's not hard to see what happened. Hornets didn't come to play and Nuggets centered entire defense around him same way Spurs did this year. If you are getting nonstop traps/double teams and full court pressure as a PG and teammates aren't getting open or hitting shots... you're pretty much helpless.

No, that was arguably Kobe's best season of his career. He was the best player in the game and led his team to the best record in the west, so that was about as obvious as the MVP award can get.

And there is absolutely no excuse for getting blown out by 60 in the playoffs. If it was a 30 point blowout, I wouldn't really care, but 60?! That's absurdly bad.

Clippersfan86
06-11-2012, 05:31 PM
No, that was arguably Kobe's best season of his career. He was the best player in the game and led his team to the best record in the west, so that was about as obvious as the MVP award can get.

And there is absolutely no excuse for getting blown out by 60 in the playoffs. If it was a 30 point blowout, I wouldn't really care, but 60?! That's absurdly bad.

WTF? Lakers had an insane loaded team compared to the Hornets and only finished one fu**ing game better :facepalm . BTW that may have been Kobe's most well rounded year... but it was not his best or more dominant. Kobe absolutely had a case but considering what CP3 did with far less and having such a dominant and efficient season he should have gotten the nod. The value he had to the Hornets was significantly greater than the value Kobe had to the loaded Lakers.

Clippersfan86
06-11-2012, 05:33 PM
BTW CP3 did NOT lose by 58 that year. It was the next year against the Nuggets. CP3 was the most dominant player in the 07-08 playoffs arguably and pushed the Spurs to 7 games who were coming off the championship.

StateOfMind12
06-11-2012, 05:35 PM
WTF? Lakers had an insane loaded team compared to the Hornets and only finished one fu**ing game better :facepalm . BTW that may have been Kobe's most well rounded year... but it was not his best or more dominant. Kobe absolutely had a case but considering what CP3 did with far less and having such a dominant and efficient season he should have gotten the nod. The value he had to the Hornets was significantly greater than the value Kobe had to the loaded Lakers.
They had an insane team AFTER the Gasol trade. The Lakers were still first in the West before Gasol was even on the Lakers because that was how great of a job Kobe was doing carrying the Lakers. Bynum was also playing well too but he eventually went down in like January and some people say that if Bynum never went down the Lakers may have never traded for Gasol.

I think it's fine if you believe Chris Paul should have been the MVP over Kobe Bryant in 2008 but don't act like it was a travesty that Kobe got it instead.

Clippersfan86
06-11-2012, 05:37 PM
They had an insane team AFTER the Gasol trade. The Lakers were still first in the West before Gasol was even on the Lakers because that was how great of a job Kobe was doing carrying the Lakers. Bynum was also playing well too but he eventually went down in like January and some people say that if Bynum never went down the Lakers may have never traded for Gasol.

I think it's fine if you believe Chris Paul should have been the MVP over Kobe Bryant in 2008 but don't act like it was a travesty that Kobe got it instead.

I specified that Kobe definitely had a case. Not a travesty... but given what CP3 did with much less and finished with nearly identical record to the Lakers? He should of gotten it.

Heavincent
06-11-2012, 05:40 PM

Kobe was the best player on the best team in the west, and he got screwed in the previous years, so the choice was obvious. It wasn't even that close of an MVP race. Kobe had 82 first place votes, CP3 had just 28.

CP3's value was definitely not "significantly greater". Like I said, Kobe was the best player in the game at that time.

Clippersfan86
06-11-2012, 05:48 PM
Kobe was the best player on the best team in the west, and he got screwed in the previous years, so the choice was obvious. It wasn't even that close of an MVP race. Kobe had 82 first place votes, CP3 had just 28.

CP3's value was definitely not "significantly greater". Like I said, Kobe was the best player in the game at that time.

Same thinking voters had and NOT how voting is supposed to work :no: .

StateOfMind12
06-11-2012, 05:55 PM
I specified that Kobe definitely had a case. Not a travesty... but given what CP3 did with much less and finished with nearly identical record to the Lakers? He should of gotten it.
Chris Paul didn't have much less. You could actually argue that Chris Paul had a better supporting cast than Kobe did that season. Kobe's '08 team was not that good especially since Bynum was out for the season mid-way through and Ariza as well until the post-season. That entire Lakers team was a two-man show between Kobe and Gasol and really nothing more. I suppose they had some decent shooters with Sasha and Vlad but nothing more.

Clippersfan86
06-11-2012, 06:01 PM
Chris Paul didn't have much less. You could actually argue that Chris Paul had a better supporting cast than Kobe did that season. Kobe's '08 team was not that good especially since Bynum was out for the season mid-way through and Ariza as well until the post-season. That entire Lakers team was a two-man show between Kobe and Gasol and really nothing more. I suppose they had some decent shooters with Sasha and Vlad but nothing more.

Gasol was significantly better than West as an all around force. Statistically they may seem comparable but everybody knows Gasol>West. Then you look at the supporting cast. Peja scored more than Odom but Odom was clearly the all around better, more impactful player. So Lakers have better 2nd and 3rd option so far. Then you look at rest of roster and Lakers have a whopping 12 players averaging over 5 ppg (meaning they are contributing in my eyes) and the Hornets only have 8 players averaging 5 ppg or more.

So you have better 2nd and 3rd options AND more depth for the Lakers. It's easy to see that the Lakers had the deeper, better all around squad.

tpols
06-11-2012, 06:17 PM
When did Chris Paul ever have a game of 44/10/8? 13/17/12? 14/17/12?

Rondo has top rebounding games these playoffs were 14, 12, 10, 10, and 9.
Chris Paul's were 9, 7, 6, 5, 4. Rondo is twice the rebounder Chris Paul is and can affect a game much more with it than Paul can.

Rondo has the career high points of both players in the playoffs despite being a worse shooter/scorer.

Rondo's top assists in the playoffs were 17, 16, 15, 14, and 14. Chris Pauls are 11, 11, 11, 11, and 10. As you can see, Rondo's 'big assist' games are much more dominant than Chris Paul's, who will give you the same production every night but at a lesser rate. Thats why you see Rondo straight take over games sometimes.. when he gets going hes extremely good.

Basically Rondo's a lot more volatile and explosive.. and he ussually saves it for big moments and games.

StateOfMind12
06-11-2012, 06:22 PM
Gasol was significantly better than West as an all around force. Statistically they may seem comparable but everybody knows Gasol>West.
Again, the Lakers got Pau Gasol in like mid-February. It's not like they got Gasol before the season even started. The Lakers still had the #1 seed and even before acquiring Gasol. Kenny Smith said the biggest reason why he had Kobe over CP3 at the MVP in 2008 was because he was more consistent and this is just an example of it. Kobe was still dominating and had led his team for the best record in the West even before Gasol was acquired.

Of course, you probably wouldn't be even arguing for Chris Paul if he wasn't on the Clippers.

ZenMaster
06-11-2012, 06:27 PM

Chris Paul's were 9, 7, 6, 5, 4. Rondo is twice the rebounder Chris Paul is and can affect a game much more with it than Paul can.

Rondo has the career high points of both players in the playoffs despite being a worse shooter/scorer.

Rondo's top assists in the playoffs were 17, 16, 15, 14, and 14. Chris Pauls are 11, 11, 11, 11, and 10. As you can see, Rondo's 'big assist' games are much more dominant than Chris Paul's, who will give you the same production every night but at a lesser rate. Thats why you see Rondo straight take over games sometimes.. when he gets going hes extremely good.

Basically Rondo's a lot more volatile and explosive.. and he ussually saves it for big moments and games.

Which is why he's so awesome! I wish this guy would come to LA and play with Bynum.

Darius
06-11-2012, 07:05 PM

You mean 1st team all-defense Chris Paul?

Crown&Coke
06-11-2012, 07:15 PM

CP3 was a monster that year, straight up, no bullshit.

Kobe had a case, no doubt. But what put it out of reach was LA finishing #7 and #8 overall the 2 years prior, in which Kobe was the best player in the game but due to the records, they didn't give MVP to him.

hypothetically, even if CP3 had a better record, with better stats, they still would have given it to Kobe, his first and only MVP award of his career. There was no way they would have given it to anyone else because the Lakers finally were relevant again record wise

And Rondo played his way back to Boston unless it gets them a Dwight Howard type cat. He is getting paid less than other elite PG's and he is definetly elite. His contract is very favorable

G-train
06-11-2012, 07:19 PM
Chris Paul is arguably the best player, and comfortably the best point guard in my opinion.
While I believe Rondo is an exceptional player, I don't think he is better than Rose, Deron and Parker, and a notch below Paul.

G-train
06-11-2012, 07:22 PM

Lots of poorly analysed statistics here.

Clippersfan86
06-11-2012, 07:28 PM
You mean 1st team all-defense Chris Paul?

In two or three seasons too. Not just one.

Clippersfan86
06-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Chris Paul is arguably the best player, and comfortably the best point guard in my opinion.
While I believe Rondo is an exceptional player, I don't think he is better than Rose, Deron and Parker, and a notch below Paul.

This is coming from a Heat fan with no horse in the race too. I've never heard you homer over specific PG's so I respect this opinion.

TheBluest
06-11-2012, 07:39 PM

So now you want to resort to using the "better team" argument when you think it suits your favor

No one is a prisoner of the moment. Hello Rondo got real busy in 2008-2009

His Playoff stats were 16.9/9.7/9.8

He outplayed Rose remember?

We all know what you'd be saying if Rondo were a Clipper. For crying out loud he equaled the rebounding output this year of your All-Star Power Forward and Center this playoffs...

This in of itself should cause to fall way back

Clippersfan86
06-11-2012, 07:42 PM
So now you want to resort to using the "better team" argument when you think it suits your favor

No one is a prisoner of the moment. Hello Rondo got real busy in 2008-2009

His Playoff stats were 16.9/9.7/9.8

He outplayed Rose remember?

We all know what you'd be saying if Rondo were a Clipper. For crying out loud he equaled the rebounding output this year of your All-Star Power Forward and Center this playoffs...

This in of itself should cause to fall way back

Unlike you I don't cherry pick these stats. When assessing the better player you need to look at consistency throughout multiple seasons and regular season AS WELL as the playoffs. Rondo is a great playoff performer but it takes much more greatness to be an MVP worthy player in the regular season AND an MVP in the playoffs.

You guys keep using this one run but as I said CP3 is the ONLY NBA player in league history who has CAREER PLAYOFF averages of 20+ ppg, 10+ apg and 5+ rpg. Then you throw in the 2.5 spg and it's clear to see he's one of the greatest playoff performers ever. One injury filled, bad run and one epic Rondo playoff run doesn't vault Rondo over CP3 :facepalm

TheBluest
06-11-2012, 07:43 PM

And his rebounds often times are game changing rebounds and he rebounds like no other guard in the league and better than most bigs

TheBluest
06-11-2012, 07:47 PM
Unlike you I don't cherry pick these stats. When assessing the better player you need to look at consistency throughout multiple seasons and regular season AS WELL as the playoffs. Rondo is a great playoff performer but it takes much more greatness to be an MVP worthy player in the regular season AND an MVP in the playoffs.

You guys keep using this one run but as I said CP3 is the ONLY NBA player in league history who has CAREER PLAYOFF averages of 20+ ppg, 10+ apg and 5+ rpg. Then you throw in the 2.5 spg and it's clear to see he's one of the greatest playoff performers ever. One injury filled, bad run and one epic Rondo playoff run doesn't vault Rondo over CP3 :facepalm

I'm not cherry picking stats I'm proving to you it's not an "in the moment" or "one run" thing with Rondo. He has proven over and over he has huge performances in the playoffs. How is it cherry picking when he got those number over 14gms a couple yrs removed? He's a near career 10reb playoff performer every year he's been in the playoffs. Not to mention when Rondo got those numbers and supposedly he was more raw then he had no KG for the whole playoffs. That would be like taking Blake away from CP3 for a Playoff run....not sure what CP3's numbers would be like if so but please stop with your non-sensical babble

Blue&Orange
06-11-2012, 07:55 PM
Okay since you want to be an idiot.

Is a 30 point, 7 rebound, 10 assist, 4 steal game not greater than a 13, 13 and 13 game? This is exactly the kind of numbers difference you'll see when you compare CP3 vs Rondo's best games. CP3 usually has double the scoring and double the steals, not to mention doesn't give up much on assists or rebounds if you compare their best games.
Hilarious

Rondo playoffs 12 - 17.3ppg on .468%
CP3 playoffs 12 - 17.6ppg on .427%

Yep CP3 scoring really offsets the triple doubles thingy.

Fiasco
06-11-2012, 07:59 PM

Possibly the only time I will ever co-sign a G-Train post.

LamarOdom
06-11-2012, 08:09 PM
This Rondo has three HOF's that's why he is averaging 10+apg argument is so stupid, look at this years playoffs, both Allen and Pierce averaged below 40% and still he found a way to get 12 apg.

ballup
06-11-2012, 08:11 PM
I did a search on your claims CF86.

Tell me when Rondo has turned in a 33 point, 13 assist, 7 rebound and 8 steal game? If he has it's probably the best game of his career. These kind of stat lines (besides the steals) aren't rare for CP3.

Rondo has had 1 game in which he has had 30+ points, 10+ assists, 5+ rebounds, 5+ steals. CP3 has had 8. That one game wasn't Rondo's best statistically. His best statistical game would be either his triple double this year facing the Bulls or his triple double in the 2010 playoffs versus the Cavs.
Link (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pgl_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id=&match=game&year_min=2009&year_max=2012&age_min=18&age_max=28&team_id=BOS&opp_id=&is_playoffs=&round_is_ec1=Y&round_is_ecs=Y&round_is_ecf=Y&round_is_wc1=Y&round_is_wcs=Y&round_is_wcf=Y&round_is_fin=Y&game_num_type=&game_num_min=&game_num_max=&game_month=&game_location=&game_result=&is_starter=&is_active=&is_hof=N&pos_is_g=Y&c1stat=stl&c1comp=gt&c1val=5&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=stl)

Rondo may always get his 10-15 assists... but he's rarely scoring 15, rarely racking up 5+ steals.

Rondo has had 23 triple doubles, only 6 of them have less than 15 points. And only one of those barely counted for a triple double (11, 10, 10). CP3 has
only had 13 with none of them barely being a triple double. Rondo is actually a better stat stuffer than you think.
Rondo's triple doubles (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pgl_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id=&match=game&year_min=2007&year_max=2012&age_min=18&age_max=28&team_id=BOS&opp_id=&is_playoffs=&round_is_ec1=Y&round_is_ecs=Y&round_is_ecf=Y&round_is_wc1=Y&round_is_wcs=Y&round_is_wcf=Y&round_is_fin=Y&game_num_type=&game_num_min=&game_num_max=&game_month=&game_location=&game_result=&is_starter=Y&is_active=&is_hof=N&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&c1stat=&c1comp=gt&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&is_trp_dbl=Y&order_by=pts)
Chris Paul's triple doubles with the Hornets (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pgl_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id=&match=game&year_min=2004&year_max=2012&age_min=20&age_max=29&team_id=NOH&opp_id=&is_playoffs=&round_is_ec1=Y&round_is_ecs=Y&round_is_ecf=Y&round_is_wc1=Y&round_is_wcs=Y&round_is_wcf=Y&round_is_fin=Y&game_num_type=&game_num_min=&game_num_max=&game_month=&game_location=&game_result=&is_starter=&is_active=&is_hof=&pos_is_g=Y&c1stat=&c1comp=gt&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&is_trp_dbl=Y&order_by=pts)
Chris Paul's triple doubles with the Clippers (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pgl_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id=&match=game&year_min=2011&year_max=2012&age_min=0&age_max=99&team_id=LAC&opp_id=&is_playoffs=&round_is_ec1=Y&round_is_ecs=Y&round_is_ecf=Y&round_is_wc1=Y&round_is_wcs=Y&round_is_wcf=Y&round_is_fin=Y&game_num_type=&game_num_min=&game_num_max=&game_month=&game_location=&game_result=&is_starter=&is_active=&is_hof=&pos_is_g=Y&c1stat=&c1comp=gt&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&is_trp_dbl=Y&order_by=pts)

TheBluest
06-11-2012, 08:24 PM
^^^^^^^^^

That last post was some serious SONNAGE

Clippersfan86
06-11-2012, 09:28 PM
12 ppg and 12 apg is all I gotta say. If you're going to rank players can't cherry pick the playoffs. CP3 is the undisputed champ. First team all NBA, first team all NBA defense, all star starter and 3rd in MVP race.

tpols
06-11-2012, 09:30 PM
First team all NBA, first team all NBA defense, all star starter and 3rd in MVP race.
100% regular season achievements? Why no playoffs? You're literally not even counting them.:oldlol:

jbot
06-11-2012, 09:32 PM
i wouldn't trade rondo for anything right now. he's The Truth 2.0.

CelticBaller
06-11-2012, 09:35 PM
I did a search on your claims CF86.

Rondo has had 1 game in which he has had 30+ points, 10+ assists, 5+ rebounds, 5+ steals. CP3 has had 8. That one game wasn't Rondo's best statistically. His best statistical game would be either his triple double this year facing the Bulls or his triple double in the 2010 playoffs versus the Cavs.
Link (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pgl_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id=&match=game&year_min=2009&year_max=2012&age_min=18&age_max=28&team_id=BOS&opp_id=&is_playoffs=&round_is_ec1=Y&round_is_ecs=Y&round_is_ecf=Y&round_is_wc1=Y&round_is_wcs=Y&round_is_wcf=Y&round_is_fin=Y&game_num_type=&game_num_min=&game_num_max=&game_month=&game_location=&game_result=&is_starter=&is_active=&is_hof=N&pos_is_g=Y&c1stat=stl&c1comp=gt&c1val=5&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=stl)

Rondo has had 23 triple doubles, only 6 of them have less than 15 points. And only one of those barely counted for a triple double (11, 10, 10). CP3 has
only had 13 with none of them barely being a triple double. Rondo is actually a better stat stuffer than you think.
Rondo's triple doubles (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pgl_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id=&match=game&year_min=2007&year_max=2012&age_min=18&age_max=28&team_id=BOS&opp_id=&is_playoffs=&round_is_ec1=Y&round_is_ecs=Y&round_is_ecf=Y&round_is_wc1=Y&round_is_wcs=Y&round_is_wcf=Y&round_is_fin=Y&game_num_type=&game_num_min=&game_num_max=&game_month=&game_location=&game_result=&is_starter=Y&is_active=&is_hof=N&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&c1stat=&c1comp=gt&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&is_trp_dbl=Y&order_by=pts)
Chris Paul's triple doubles with the Hornets (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pgl_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id=&match=game&year_min=2004&year_max=2012&age_min=20&age_max=29&team_id=NOH&opp_id=&is_playoffs=&round_is_ec1=Y&round_is_ecs=Y&round_is_ecf=Y&round_is_wc1=Y&round_is_wcs=Y&round_is_wcf=Y&round_is_fin=Y&game_num_type=&game_num_min=&game_num_max=&game_month=&game_location=&game_result=&is_starter=&is_active=&is_hof=&pos_is_g=Y&c1stat=&c1comp=gt&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&is_trp_dbl=Y&order_by=pts)
Chris Paul's triple doubles with the Clippers (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pgl_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id=&match=game&year_min=2011&year_max=2012&age_min=0&age_max=99&team_id=LAC&opp_id=&is_playoffs=&round_is_ec1=Y&round_is_ecs=Y&round_is_ecf=Y&round_is_wc1=Y&round_is_wcs=Y&round_is_wcf=Y&round_is_fin=Y&game_num_type=&game_num_min=&game_num_max=&game_month=&game_location=&game_result=&is_starter=&is_active=&is_hof=&pos_is_g=Y&c1stat=&c1comp=gt&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&is_trp_dbl=Y&order_by=pts)
Jesus christo

TheBluest
06-11-2012, 09:40 PM
Jesus christo

LOL that Clippers link all I saw was this.....

http://rgifs.gifbin.com/052011/1304618376_tumbleweed-gif.gif

Remix
06-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Rondo is the reason the big 3 have been able to play for so long. Those stiffs can barely jump anymore. All Paul has to do is throw it near the rim and he gets an assist for Griffin or Jordan throwing it down.

As for who's better - I'd take either one. Can't really go wrong.

Bigsmoke
06-11-2012, 10:26 PM
Rondo is lucky that Rose went out.

He was going to get his ass kicked

As for now, I think Chris Paul is on top. He get injured too much tho

wagexslave
06-11-2012, 10:29 PM
I agree that Chris Paul isn't better than Rondo. As much as I like Chris Paul I've come to realize that he's pretty overrated.

Clippersfan86
06-11-2012, 11:23 PM
100% regular season achievements? Why no playoffs? You're literally not even counting them.:oldlol:

Rondo had a monster playoff run. Nobody is denying that. I'll go with the much greater sample size of regular season though THEN factor in the playoffs.

G-train
06-11-2012, 11:44 PM
I agree that Chris Paul isn't better than Rondo. As much as I like Chris Paul I've come to realize that he's pretty overrated.

I'd say underrated. He is a genius basketball practitioner, and his stats dont tell much of the story at all really.

I dont have a problem with Paul. I think the Clippers shouldn't have traded what they did for him, amongst other transactions I dont like. This is why most Clippers fans hate me. However, over many years most of my Clippers predictions are accurate, and the only way I predict something wrong with the Clippers is because Paul is even better than I thought he was.

ballup
06-11-2012, 11:54 PM
Rondo had a monster playoff run. Nobody is denying that. I'll go with the much greater sample size of regular season though THEN factor in the playoffs.
Ok, but playoffs is the stage in which each team can get adjusted to the other team. Also each team they face are one top teams in the league. That doesn't mean playoffs>regular season, but playoffs are have a lot of weight in considering how good a player is. If you go by mostly regular season, then Carlos Boozer would be ranked much higher in people's minds.

I love how you didn't respond to my previous posts in this thread. Got no response?

TheBluest
06-11-2012, 11:57 PM
I'd say underrated. He is a genius basketball practitioner, and his stats dont tell much of the story at all really.

I dont have a problem with Paul. I think the Clippers shouldn't have traded what they did for him, amongst other transactions I dont like. This is why most Clippers fans hate me. However, over many years most of my Clippers predictions are accurate, and the only way I predict something wrong with the Clippers is because Paul is even better than I thought he was.

No CP3 is not underrated he's in everyone's Top 3 practically and he has the media respect/recognition and personal accolades.

I'd say he may be fairly rated, at the same time he is by no means infallible. I like him a lot but he needs to cut out the shenanigans on the court.

The thing with Rondo is this he's proven so many people wrong and he does it on the biggest stage at the perfect time. Also fans need to stop acting as if he plays like trash during the regular season as if he Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. He's very good during the regular season but special during the post-season and you can't say this about many players in the league really.

305Baller
06-12-2012, 12:06 AM
Give Chris Paul 3-4 years to mesh with his teammates and he will look as comfortable as Rondo does with the Celtics.

tpols
06-12-2012, 12:07 AM
Id be ok with that.. but you're not really factoring it in. And it's not just this year.. Rondo has a better playoff resume for his career.

G-train
06-12-2012, 12:15 AM
No CP3 is not underrated he's in everyone's Top 3 practically and he has the media respect/recognition and personal accolades.

I'd say he may be fairly rated, at the same time he is by no means infallible. I like him a lot but he needs to cut out the shenanigans on the court.

The thing with Rondo is this he's proven so many people wrong and he doesn't on the biggest stage at the perfect time. Also fans need to stop acting as if he plays like trash during the regular season as if he Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. He's very good during the regular season but special during the post-season and you can't say this about many players in the league really.

He is not in everyones top three. Unless many people in this thread go Lebron, Rondo, Paul as the top 3?
Regardless, he could be top 3 and underrated, as many fans dont understand the game on a deep level, therefore cant appreciate Paul's standard of play.

Clippersfan86
06-12-2012, 12:27 AM
Id be ok with that.. but you're not really factoring it in. And it's not just this year.. Rondo has a better playoff resume for his career.

Help me understand???

Here are their CAREER PLAYOFF averages.

Chris Paul: 20.5 ppg, 10.1 apg, 5.2 rpg, 2.5 spg on 47.3 percent shooting from field, 33.7 percent from deep and 87.2 percent from the stripe. ONLY PLAYER IN NBA HISTORY TO HAVE CAREER PLAYOFF AVERAGES OF 20 PPG, 10 APG AND 5 RPG.

Rajon Rondo: 14.5 ppg, 6 rpg, 9.2 apg, 2.2 spg on 44.5 percent shooting from the field, 27.7 percent from deep and 64.7 percent from the stripe.

If you're talking about team success such as the one championship and two ECF appearances that's completely bogus because the 08 Celtics are arguably a top 5 or at worst top 10 all around team in NBA history. This years Celtics.... KG has been absolutely dominant in most of the playoffs and for the first two rounds was actually the Celtics best player all around.

This was the first year of CP3's career outside of maybe 08 where he had a legit team and he got to 2nd round. No training camp or practices either.

Clippersfan86
06-12-2012, 12:27 AM
Give Chris Paul 3-4 years to mesh with his teammates and he will look as comfortable as Rondo does with the Celtics.

I predict even THIS season in year two he's really going to shine. Him and Griffin will be getting an entire summer and training camp together not to mention most likely Olympics together.

ballup
06-12-2012, 12:31 AM
Give Rondo players who can run actually with him and he'll look still pretty damn impressive.

tpols
06-12-2012, 01:05 AM
Help me understand???

Compare them year by year in the playoffs..

-08: CP3 obviously
-09: Rondo obviously.. 17/10/10 through multiple rounds versus 17/10/4 on worse shooting and first round exit.
-10: Rondo had a great run almost winning a ring while recording the C's highest PER(just for reference.. he had a case for the best player on that team).. CP3 didnt make the playoffs.
-11: Chris Paul shredded LA while rondo played just average against MIA.. Cp3.
-12: Clearly Rondo.

3-2 Rondo.

Rondo has led the postseason in assists 4 times and steals 3 times. Chris Paul has never led anything.. mostly because hes played 1/3 the number of games as Rondo and has only made it out of the first round twice in his whole career. Rondo's easily had the more decorated playoff career.

Clippersfan86
06-12-2012, 01:20 AM
Compare them year by year in the playoffs..

-08: CP3 obviously
-09: Rondo obviously.. 17/10/10 through multiple rounds versus 17/10/4 on worse shooting and first round exit.
-10: Rondo had a great run almost winning a ring while recording the C's highest PER(just for reference.. he had a case for the best player on that team).. CP3 didnt make the playoffs.
-11: Chris Paul shredded LA while rondo played just average against MIA.. Cp3.
-12: Clearly Rondo.

3-2 Rondo.

Rondo has led the postseason in assists 4 times and steals 3 times. Chris Paul has never led anything.. mostly because hes played 1/3 the number of games as Rondo and has only made it out of the first round twice in his whole career. Rondo's easily had the more decorated playoff career.

You're giving opinions and speculation... I'm posting NUMBERS. CP3's CAREER playoff numbers and performance throughout the years shit on Rondo, no question. Rondo may have bigger individual games but what separates the ELITE from all stars is CONSISTENCY. CP3 can give you big all around games every single night for an entire season+playoffs, Rondo can't and never has.

Cali Syndicate
06-12-2012, 02:03 AM
You're giving opinions and speculation... I'm posting NUMBERS. CP3's CAREER playoff numbers and performance throughout the years shit on Rondo, no question. Rondo may have bigger individual games but what separates the ELITE from all stars is CONSISTENCY. CP3 can give you big all around games every single night for an entire season+playoffs, Rondo can't and never has.

Rondo practically began his career running an offense revolving around KG, Pierce and Ray Allen. CP3 is obviously a more rounded offensive player but Rondo does what the team need him to. Big games on a nightly basis is not really one of them. BUT in 09 his team needed him to and he played pretty damn well. Look at the 09 series against the Bulls. Still one of my favorite series. He even played relatively well all around the next series. Wasn't very efficient but none of the Celtics perimeter players shined particularly well. Most likely due to a lack of an inside post presence.

Rondo does have a case as a PG on CP3's level.

Legends66NBA7
06-12-2012, 03:33 AM
Rondo does have a case as a PG on CP3's level.

Yes, I agree.

I would probably still put Paul ahead of him as of now, but Rondo's impressive playoff play and it's more likely he will play a bigger role as the Big 3 from before will be broken up...

I expect this to be a very intriguing rivalry.

Miserio
06-12-2012, 04:25 AM
Help me understand???

Chris Paul: 20.5 ppg, 10.1 apg, 5.2 rpg, 2.5 spg on 47.3 percent shooting from field, 33.7 percent from deep and 87.2 percent from the stripe. ONLY PLAYER IN NBA HISTORY TO HAVE CAREER PLAYOFF AVERAGES OF 20 PPG, 10 APG AND 5 RPG.

Rajon Rondo: 14.5 ppg, 6 rpg, 9.2 apg, 2.2 spg on 44.5 percent shooting from the field, 27.7 percent from deep and 64.7 percent from the stripe.

If you're talking about team success such as the one championship and two ECF appearances that's completely bogus because the 08 Celtics are arguably a top 5 or at worst top 10 all around team in NBA history. This years Celtics.... KG has been absolutely dominant in most of the playoffs and for the first two rounds was actually the Celtics best player all around.

This was the first year of CP3's career outside of maybe 08 where he had a legit team and he got to 2nd round. No training camp or practices either.
Yeah, Rondo played with ball dominant players and great scorers, that being said he wasn't the protagonist of the team in his early years for that reason he doesn't have better CAREER stats. Wanna compare last 4 playoffs?

CP3: 20.07 ppg 5.2 RPG 10.2 APG
Rondo: 16 ppg 6.8 RPG 10.1 APG

Playing much more games in the course of the playoffs, with better defense. I'm sorry, the world has open its eyes, the stars can recognize a brother among us, the great Rajon Rondo :bowdown:

Rolando
06-12-2012, 04:56 AM
CP3, what have you done for me lately? Right now, Rondo is the best point guard.

Clippersfan86
06-12-2012, 05:48 AM
CP3, what have you done for me lately? Right now, Rondo is the best point guard.

At least you're honest :oldlol: .

Punpun
06-12-2012, 06:05 AM
Rondo had what ? 9 triple doubles this season. 3 or 4 of them during the po. CP3 had more triple double during the po than CP3 has during the past two seasons.

:oldlol:

tpols
06-12-2012, 11:29 AM
CP3 can give you big all around games every single night for an entire season+playoffs, Rondo can't and never has.
:roll: You're just so wrong.

ProfessorMurder
06-12-2012, 11:38 AM
Also, for people that still claim Rondo is only good because he plays with 3 HOFers...

76% of KG's points were assisted in 11-12
57% of Pierce's points were assisted in 11-12
78% of Ray Allen's points were assisted in 11-12
77% of Brandon Bass' points were assisted in 11-12
67% of Avery Bradley's points were assisted in 11-12

Outside of Pierce (when he's hot), these guys do not get their own shots. Rondo does that for them.

TheBluest
06-12-2012, 11:40 AM
He is not in everyones top three. Unless many people in this thread go Lebron, Rondo, Paul as the top 3?
Regardless, he could be top 3 and underrated, as many fans dont understand the game on a deep level, therefore cant appreciate Paul's standard of play.

Obviously the context for discussion is point guards and he's in everyone's Top 3

TheBluest
06-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Rondos 09' playoff performance debunks anything naysayers bring to this thread

I get a kick out of Clipperfan too because being that CP3 had an underwhelming performance against the Spurs.... He goes and switches his Avy to the new shiny toy Bledsoe because in the "what have you done for me lately" fashion he goes with the young kid who had good moments against them and uses it as a catalyst to cover over hurt feelings and his angst directed at their coach

You'd think he'd be rockin a CP3 avy for all his emotionally distraught replies in every thread not lauding the players on his team as the absolute best....

As I said a couple weeks ago...if you liked Clipper players CF86 does everything in his power to make sure you end up hating them. Dude doesn't have 1 objective bone in his body