PDA

View Full Version : Michael Jordan's Top 10 Defensive Plays of 1987-88

whosegameisit
05-02-2011, 10:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRfIPcleC7c&feature=feedu

knightfall88
05-02-2011, 11:09 AM
awesome video. It's a shame you can't play defense like that these days.

Rake2204
05-02-2011, 11:16 AM
This pleases me. It's clear he was very big on anticipation. He jumped so early on a number of those rejections (mostly the ones he virtually blocked before they were even released). Seems like a risky play but it looks like it worked out for him on many occasions.

knightfall88
05-02-2011, 11:33 AM
This pleases me. It's clear he was very big on anticipation. He jumped so early on a number of those rejections (mostly the ones he virtually blocked before they were even released). Seems like a risky play but it looks like it worked out for him on many occasions.

Well it was a good play back then. I dont think anyone will get away with attempting a block on a jumpshot most times in this era.

juju151111
05-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Well it was a good play back then. I dont think anyone will get away with attempting a block on a jumpshot most times in this era.
Wade does all the time to big man taking faraway jumpers. It's all about timing. Which is why Wade is the best SG shotbkocker since MJ

kidachi
05-02-2011, 11:38 AM
Now that's what an All-D team player should be..

kidachi
05-02-2011, 11:53 AM
BTW, 86-89 MJ wasn't MJ.. it was GOD.. just like Bird said.. GOD disguised as Michael Jordan.. he was just unbelievable..

Calabis
05-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Wade does all the time to big man taking faraway jumpers. It's all about timing. Which is why Wade is the best SG shotbkocker since MJ

Yup :applause:

Rake2204
05-02-2011, 12:15 PM
Timing, sure. But precision also plays a giant role in this situation. There's a lot of moments where I've anticipated someone's impending layup or jump shot, it's just that I often cannot block it without fouling the bejesus out of them. But maybe that's what you guys mean by timing too.

DuMa
05-02-2011, 01:24 PM
Video reminds me of artest today.he gets his hands on so many balls

OldSchoolBBall
05-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Play #8 is incredible - he cuts off the screen, then recovers to stay in front of the driving PG, then jumps and angles his body THE OTHER WAY in the air for the block. Amazing speed, agility, and reflexes.

What I've always found most amazing about MJ's blocks/steals/strips is that 99% of the time they're clean no matter the angle he has on the ball, what hand he's using, how out of position he is, or how late the offensive player exposes the ball. That's what has always separated him as a shotblocker/ball thief from every other player I ever saw. His timing, anticipation, and reflexes were literally off the charts. The ball wasn't safe if he was anywhere around.

Rake2204
05-02-2011, 03:07 PM
Play #8 is incredible - he cuts off the screen, then recovers to stay in front of the driving PG, then jumps and angles his body THE OTHER WAY in the air for the block. Amazing speed, agility, and reflexes.

What I've always found most amazing about MJ's blocks/steals/strips is that 99% of the time they're clean no matter the angle he has on the ball, what hand he's using, how out of position he is, or how late the offensive player exposes the ball. That's what has always separated him as a shotblocker/ball thief from every other player I ever saw. His timing, anticipation, and reflexes were literally off the charts. The ball wasn't safe if he was anywhere around.
I'd also presume his monstrously large hands may have helped his cause.

OldSchoolBBall
05-02-2011, 03:17 PM
I'd also presume his monstrously large hands may have helped his cause.

Actually, larger hands would HURT you in this case, since I was talking about how he got all ball most of the time regardless of the situation (the bigger your hands, the more area they have and the greater the chance that part of your hand hits part of a player's hand/wrist/arm). He just had ridiculous reflexes/timing.

Rake2204
05-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Actually, larger hands would HURT you in this case, since I was talking about how he got all ball most of the time regardless of the situation (the bigger your hands, the more area they have and the greater the chance that part of your hand hits part of a player's hand/wrist/arm). He just had ridiculous reflexes/timing.
Yessir, in the cases you mentioned, that is correct. It does take excellent precision. My feeling is that hand size (and arm length) may have allowed MJ to get his hands into passing lanes, or on what appeared to be protected dribbles, where other players may not have been so lucky. So, yes, he'd still need excellent timing, but also those hands likely didn't hurt in providing an opportunity to create pokes, tips, deflections and blocks where they might not otherwise occur. Clearly, Jordan was just able to combine freakish measurements with freakish ability.

OldSchoolBBall
05-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Yessir, in the cases you mentioned, that is correct. It does take excellent precision. My feeling is that hand size (and arm length) may have allowed MJ to get his hands into passing lanes, or on what appeared to be protected dribbles, where other players may not have been so lucky. So, yes, he'd still need excellent timing, but also those hands likely didn't hurt in providing an opportunity to create pokes, tips, deflections and blocks where they might not otherwise occur. Clearly, Jordan was just able to combine freakish measurements with freakish ability.

Oh yeah, the hands definitely helped in other ways, but not in terms of the cleanness of most of his blocks/strips. That's all just hand/eye coordination and reflexes.

Poochymama
05-02-2011, 03:47 PM

Wade does it all the time:confusedshrug:

Mr Feeny
08-13-2016, 09:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRfIPcleC7c&feature=feedu

Numbers 1 and 3 are astonishing. The quickness !