PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Durant = something unique that this game has never seen.

C-Webb4
09-12-2010, 04:40 PM
http://epicmess.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/kevin-durant.jpg

A 6'10 swingman with KG's height and length, with guard-like dribbling and shooting ability, great rebounding ability, good shotblocker, and good defender. If he adds a bit more weight, develops a post game, and improves on his passing ability this guy is gona be unstoppable. :cheers:

Yung D-Will
09-12-2010, 04:43 PM
http://photos.upi.com/topics-Tracy-McGrady/eb6a86f0dcc044abe09db8ee0f957b33/T_1.jpg

C-Webb4
09-12-2010, 04:44 PM
He's actually nothing like Tracy Mcgrady and he's already right now at 21 better than T-Mac was in his prime.

joyner82
09-12-2010, 04:47 PM
http://photos.upi.com/topics-Tracy-McGrady/eb6a86f0dcc044abe09db8ee0f957b33/T_1.jpg

T-Mac was nowhere near the scorer/shooter Durant is. T-Mac was a better playmaker/dribbler but Durant has him beat in every other area.

That would be like comparing LeBron to Malone just based on body type

Kblaze8855
09-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Tmac was a better ball handler by a lot, a far better passer, and before about 03...a better defender. Durant is tmac with better shot selection and far less athletic ability.

C-Webb4
09-12-2010, 04:48 PM
Tmac was a better ball handler by a lot, a far passer, and before about 03...a better defender. Durant is tmac with better shot selection and far less athletic ability.
T-Mac is 6'8 and far more the traditional SF than Durant is. A 6'9-6'10 guy with incredibly long arms who handles the ball as well as he does is pretty much unheard of.

joyner82
09-12-2010, 04:49 PM
Tmac was a better ball handler by a lot, a far better passer, and before about 03...a better defender. Durant is tmac with better shot selection and far less athletic ability.

T-Mac was nowhere near the scorer Durant is and Durant is much taller/longer.

C-Webb4
09-12-2010, 04:50 PM
You do realize that KD is probably a good 4-5 years or more from actually reaching his prime don't you?

Haymaker
Get that ***** ass T-Mac outta this thread!!! :mad:

Peteballa
T-Mac was nowhere near the scorer/shooter Durant is. T-Mac was a better playmaker/dribbler but Durant has him beat in every other area.

That would be like comparing LeBron to Malone just based on body type

Nowhere near the scorer/shooter?

Dude, what are you, 9?

Can someone please ban this guy?

You've said many ridiculous things but this might be the worst. T-mac was nowhere near the scorer/shooter Durant is...

C-Webb4
09-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Yeah, it's a disgrace that people actually brought T-mac's name into this thread. There's 7 mods here, i'm sure one of you can clean up this shit.

ShaqAttack3234
09-12-2010, 04:54 PM
He's actually nothing like Tracy Mcgrady and he's already right now at 21 better than T-Mac was in his prime.

Nah, 2003 T-Mac>2010 Durant. McGrady scored more than Durant that season and was a much better passer as well as being a better defender.

In 2003, McGrady's prolific 3 point shooting, ability to shoot off the dribble or move off the ball and drill mid-range shots as well as superior athleticism and ball handling ability which made him capable of getting to the basket and finishing over anyone or scoring with acrobatic lay ups made him atleast as good of a scorer, actually, better, IMO, atleast in that season.

As far as passing, this isn't even close. McGrady was capable of running his team's offense and setting up his teammates, Durant doesn't have that ability and hasn't shown any signs that he ever will.

I'll also take a young, healthy T-Mac over Durant defensively.

With that being said, I will acknowledge that outside of 2003, there's not really any seperation between T-Mac and Durant because Durant's scoring easily trumps any of McGrady's other seasons and his rebounding is on par or better. However, it's important to note that scoring was very low league wide when McGrady won his second scoring title.

And for the record, I'd take 2002 and 2005 T-Mac over Durant as an overall player.

Durant is on par with prime T-Mac(2001-2007), but not peak T-Mac(2003)

AK47DR91
09-12-2010, 04:54 PM
It'll be a matter of time before Durant is traded to Boston. No way is a future Top 5 player of all-time playing on a small market team like OKC.

I'm hoping sooner than later that he'll be in Celtics uniform.

C-Webb4
09-12-2010, 04:55 PM
Again, are we acknowledging that KD is 21 years old? He has not yet reached his prime, so why are we comparing a prime T-mac to Kevin Durant who hasn't yet reached his?

kNIOKAS
09-12-2010, 04:56 PM
yeah, get the fuc out. t-mac love-fest is so '04. we have another kid now.

hitmanyr2k
09-12-2010, 04:57 PM
You do realize that KD is probably a good 4-5 years or more from actually reaching his prime don't you?

Even rookies have come in this league averaging more assists than turnovers. Durant is a turnover prone black hole who has a good jumper and benefits from refs who give out free throws like candy.

I'm taking bets on what will happen first. Will Durant actually have a season where he becomes even a below average playmaker or will Dwight Howard develop an average post game?

The_Yearning
09-12-2010, 04:58 PM
Nah, 2003 T-Mac>2010 Durant. McGrady scored more than Durant that season and was a much better passer as well as being a better defender.

In 2003, McGrady's prolific 3 point shooting, ability to shoot off the dribble or move off the ball and drill mid-range shots as well as superior athleticism and ball handling ability which made him capable of getting to the basket and finishing over anyone or scoring with acrobatic lay ups made him atleast as good of a scorer, actually, better, IMO, atleast in that season.

As far as passing, this isn't even close. McGrady was capable of running his team's offense and setting up his teammates, Durant doesn't have that ability and hasn't shown any signs that he ever will.

I'll also take a young, healthy T-Mac over Durant defensively.

With that being said, I will acknowledge that outside of 2003, there's not really any seperation between T-Mac and Durant because Durant's scoring easily trumps any of McGrady's other seasons and his rebounding is on par or better. However, it's important to note that scoring was very low league wide when McGrady won his second scoring title.

And for the record, I'd take 2002 and 2005 T-Mac over Durant as an overall player.

Durant is on par with prime T-Mac(2001-2007), but not peak T-Mac(2003)

You should also note that T-Mac's second best player was Darrel Armstrong/Gooden/Mike Miller in those years.

Durant has Jeff Green/Westbrook/Krystic/Harden/Ibaka/and a better coach.

They were all trying to stop T-Mac and couldn't stop him.

C-Webb4
09-12-2010, 04:58 PM
Even rookies have come in this league averaging more assists than turnovers. Durant is a turnover prone black hole who has a good jumper and benefits from refs who give out free throws like candy.

I'm taking bets on what will happen first. Will Durant actually have a season where he becomes even a below average playmaker or will Dwight Howard develop an average post game?
Are most of those rookies 6'10 ballhanders? That's just a question for you.

joyner82
09-12-2010, 04:59 PM
I just have to LOL @ people referencing the amount of points a player scores without bringing efficiency into consideration.

T-Mac's best season 46 FG%/38 3P%/79 FT% which equates to a TS% of 56.4

Durant just shit all over that last season with 48/37/90 & a TS of 60.7%

Just stop

McGrady was a chucker who shot 43% for his career.

I'm happy he was able to average 32 ppg on over 24 FGA. Durant just put up 30 on 20 shots.

With that being said McGrady in 02-3 was better than Durant last season but it's not by a huge margin. Outside of that season Durant was better than T-Mac at any point during his career.

FKAri
09-12-2010, 05:00 PM

oooh...I dunno bout that. TMac's prime > Durant in the 09-10 season.

I just have to LOL @ people referencing the amount of points a player scores without bringing efficiency into consideration.

Just stop

TMac was carrying a heavier load. Durant's got some pretty good role players on that team.

50inchvertical
09-12-2010, 05:00 PM
It'll be a matter of time before Durant is traded to Boston. No way is a future Top 5 player of all-time playing on a small market team like OKC.

It's the #31 most populated city in the US. The difference between Boston and OKC in population is approximately 75k. This whole small market bullshit is so overstated.

For comparison's sake, OKC has more people than Atlanta, Cleveland, Sacramento, Miami, Oakland, Minneapolis, Newark, and Orlando who all have NBA teams.

Kblaze8855
09-12-2010, 05:01 PM
Much taller? As in an inch or so? George Karl was saying Tmac was actually 6'10'' in shoes in like 2002. I dont know how tall any of them are for real. dont much care either. A thumbnails difference in height doesntmake someone a whole different kind of player.

Tmac was(I say was...because the person I mean no longer exists) a power forward height swingman who could guard pointguards on on one, run the point, score 37ppg for a month and 35ppg for half a season, drop 62 in a game he also had 2 waved off halfcourt jumpers go in, bang on anyone in his path and handle the ball like hes 5'11''.

Durant is not one bit more unique. If anything hes less because his athletic ability, ball handling, and passing arent nearly as exceptional for their size.

You could find people with similar physical traits and skills to Durant before you could find one like Mcgrady. You just dont find guys moving, jumping, handling the ball and passing like he did at his size.

I remember in the charity game after Katrina he gets into an in game 35-40 foot jumper contest with Arenas. Made 2-3 in a row from approaching halfcourt. Arenas made one. tmac next play came down and shot it from halfcourt and barely missed.

You dont find Tmacs that often. Id never seen one before and ive not seen one since.

The_Yearning
09-12-2010, 05:02 PM

Just stop

Lol a whole difference only only 4%...and that is with people setting up Durant to score.

SmH

AK47DR91
09-12-2010, 05:03 PM
It's the #31 most populated city in the US. The difference between Boston and OKC in population is approximately 75k. This whole small market bullshit is so overstated.

For comparison's sake, OKC has more people than Atlanta, Cleveland, Sacramento, Miami, Oakland, Minneapolis, Newark, and Orlando who all have NBA teams.

Small market isn't defined solely by population.

O_City_Thunder

Wrong!!!

NBASTATMAN

A 6'10 swingman with KG's height and length, with guard-like dribbling and shooting ability, great rebounding ability, good shotblocker, and good defender. If he adds a bit more weight, develops a post game, and improves on his passing ability this guy is gona be unstoppable. :cheers:

I think his defense is very good.. He is better than any other 21 yr old I have ever seen in terms of all his all around package.. Lebron was more dominant but he had ****** in his game.. This kid really doesn't. He shoots for a high percentage from anywhere on the field and shoots free throws at a high percentage. His defense is very good and he takes over when he needs to.. Durant has just started his journey to greatness.. So happy he IS AMERICAN...:bowdown:

C-Webb4

Just stop

I'm happy he was able to average 32 ppg on over 24 FGA. Durant just put up 30 on 20 shots.

With that being said McGrady in 02-3 was better than Durant last season but it's not by a huge margin. Outside of that season Durant was better than T-Mac at any point during his career.

Very good point. Next thing you know people are gonna start saying that a prime Gilbert Arenas was >>> Dwayne Wade.

bdreason
09-12-2010, 05:04 PM
Prime T-Mac was a better scorer and playmaker than current Durant, don't get it twisted.

That being said, Durant is still getting better, and hopefully he can stay healthy for a long and lustrous career.

C-Webb4
Lol a whole difference only only 4%...and that is with people setting up Durant to score.

SmH
And what in the hell does that have to do with his uniqueness? Because there was a guy similar in size that means that Durant's game and skillset for his size isn't unique to this league?

joyner82
As for McGrady's athleticism...

He had a total of 86 dunks during his best season in 2002-03

Durant last season ranked 3rd in the league with 131 dunks

People give me a break.

joyner82
09-12-2010, 05:05 PM
Prime T-Mac was a better scorer and playmaker than current Durant, don't get it twisted.

That being said, Durant is still getting better, and hopefully he can stay healthy for a long and lustrous career.

How was he a better scorer?

Just curious

ShaqAttack3234
09-12-2010, 05:06 PM
You should also note that T-Mac's second best player was Darrel Armstrong/Gooden/Mike Miller in those years.

Durant has Jeff Green/Westbrook/Krystic/Harden/Ibaka/and a better coach.

They were all trying to stop T-Mac and couldn't stop him.

Yeah, T-Mac had to carry that team. To put into perspective how bad T-Mac's 2003 cast was. He took a cast of Gooden, Giricek, a 34 year old Darrell Armstrong and a 300+ pound Shawn Kemp to a 7th game vs a Pistons team that with the additions of Rasheed Wallace and Larry Brown won a title the following year.

For the 2003 season, he didn't even have a consistent lineup around him. He had Mike Miller for 49 games, Grant Hill at maybe 50% for 29 games, Gordan Giricek for 27 games and Drew Gooden for 19.

The players who consistently played rotation minutes around him(20+ mpg) for the season were Pat Garrity, a 34 year old Darrell Armstrong, a 300+ pound Shawn Kemp and Jacque Vaughn.

Kblaze8855
09-12-2010, 05:07 PM

Ive heard that about every young player and half of them never get any better. People said the exact same thing about tmac back then. Plenty of guards these days peak in their early 20s. Durant isnt gonna get much better. What is he gonn put up 36 a game of 58% shooting? He should refine his game and add some skills here and there. Post game. defense. But hes not gonna be wildly different from what he is now. Kobe has not really gotten any better than he was 8 years ago. In ways I guess....but hes level wise about the same as 2003. Lebron is better than he was in 07...but hes not a whole other guy.

Durant like all these superstar young guys doesnt have very much higher to go.

C-Webb4
09-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Ive heard that about every young player and half of them never get any better. People said the exact same thing about tmac back then. Plenty of guards these days peak in their early 20s. Durant isnt gonna get much better. What is he gonn put up 36 a game of 38% shooting? He should refine his game and add some skills here and there. Post game. defense. But hes not gonna be wildly different from what he is now. Kobe has not really gotten any better than he was 8 years ago. In ways I guess....but hes level wise about the same as 2003. Lebron is better than he was in 07...but hes not a whole other guy.

Durant like all these superstar young guys doesnt have very much higher to go.

Making himself better isn't just a matter of putting up higher scoring figures. I'm actually pretty surprised that a poster who is seemingly as intelligent as you have seemed to be over the years really equates skill to the amount of ppg you put up.

Poochymama
09-12-2010, 05:10 PM

That has to be one of the stupidest comments I've ever seen? Not even close??? Really???

McGrady in Regular Season

32.1 ppg on 56% TS

Durant in Regular Season

30.1 ppg on 61% TS

I mean, I do see the argument for Durant being the better scorer, he was 5% more efficient, even though he averaged 2 less ppg, but saying it's not even close? That's just retarded.

And that's only the regular season. 2003 McGrady was actually a better post season scorer than 2010 Durant, where it really counts.

Post Season McGrady

30.8 ppg on 56% TS

Post Season Durant

25.0 ppg on 50% TS

So Durant was a better regular season scorer than McGrady(barely), while McGrady was a better post season scorer. How does that equate to "T-Mac was nowhere near the scorer Durant is"?

If we are comparing overall T-Mac to overall Durant(or at least what he will most likely become), then yeah, Durant will most likely end up as a much better scorer, but if we're just comparing 03 T-Mac then they are definitely in the same league.

Kblaze8855
09-12-2010, 05:12 PM

People give me a break.

You cant be serious.....

Dunks?

You honestly...and with the intention of making a valid point...points out number of dunks in the issue of athletic ability between these two players?

Is it your goal to prove you dont watch basketball?

The_Yearning
09-12-2010, 05:12 PM
That has to be one of the stupidest comments I've ever seen? Not even close??? Really???

McGrady in Regular Season

32.1 ppg on 56% TS

Durant in Regular Season

30.1 ppg on 61% TS

I mean, I do see the argument for Durant being the better scorer, he was 5% more efficient, even though he averaged 2 less ppg, but saying it's not even close? That's just retarded.

And that's only the regular season. 2003 McGrady was actually a better post season scorer than 2010 Durant, where it really counts.

Post Season McGrady

30.8 ppg on 56% TS

Post Season Durant

25.0 ppg on 50% TS

So Durant was a better regular season scorer than McGrady(barely), while McGrady was a better post season scorer. How does that equate to "T-Mac was nowhere near the scorer Durant is"?

If we are comparing overall T-Mac to overall Durant(or at least what he will most likely become), then yeah, Durant will most likely end up as a much better scorer, but if we're just comparing 03 T-Mac then they are definitely in the same league.

Lol 50% TS...what was his FG%? 38% right?

joyner82
09-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Lol 50% TS...what was his FG%? 38% right?

LeBron vs the Spurs in 07 43.7 TS%
LeBron vs the Celtics in 08 48.8 TS%
:bowdown:

C-Webb4
09-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Just curious, but is it of any importance that we are comparing T-Macs 4th career playoff series appearance to KD's first? And the fact that he was playing the defending champ LA Lakers?

hitmanyr2k
09-12-2010, 05:15 PM
Are most of those rookies 6'10 ballhanders? That's just a question for you.

What difference does it make? Durant isn't a rookie anymore. He's had 3 straight seasons of the same black hole non-playmaking game. Sure Durant can shoot it but what else can he do? And when that shot abandons him (like in the playoffs a few months ago) can he create for his teammates and make their job easier? The answer is a big fat NO. Durant is Carmelo Anthony all over again. Good scorer but anything beyond that he's not impressive at all.

Kblaze8855
09-12-2010, 05:16 PM
Making himself better isn't just a matter of putting up higher scoring figures. I'm actually pretty surprised that a poster who is seemingly as intelligent as you have seemed to be over the years really equates skill to the amount of ppg you put up.

As I mentioned...his skills will grow(or at least change) but really...there is no lock anyone as good as these guys are at young ages gets flat out better. You just hit a level and stay roughly at it for as long as you can. He wouldnt be the first young superstar to peak in his youth.

There just isnt a lot more for him to do. People dont just...turn into really good ball handlers or passers. bigmen perhaps get better passing...guards/swingmen rarely do. If so not by much.

The areas he has a lot of room to improve arent the ones people usually do anything with.

joyner82
09-12-2010, 05:17 PM
What difference does it make? Durant isn't a rookie anymore. He's had 3 straight seasons of the same black hole non-playmaking game. Sure Durant can shoot it but what else can he do? And when that shot abandons him (like in the playoffs a few months ago) can he create for his teammates and make their job easier? The answer is a big fat NO. Durant is Carmelo Anthony all over again. Good scorer but anything beyond that he's not impressive at all.

Durant shits all over Carmelo's efficiency and he had the highest On/Off in the league last year.

Durant made a 17.2 ppg differential for OKC whereas Melo was 6.8

The only other players above 12 were Kobe, Dirk, LeBron, Wade, and Howard.

He isn't some flaw in the system. The formulas weren't made to support him.

These advanced metrics that almost every NBA team uses all state Durant is otherworldly for his age and a top 3-5 player in the league at only 21.

C-Webb4
09-12-2010, 05:18 PM
LOL, but ok if we're comparing his first 3 seasons to T-mac's, T-mac averaged 1.5, 2.3, and 3.3 to Durants 2.4, 2.8 and 2.8. Not really much of a difference, even though i'm not saying he's an equal passer. Just that your argument is severely flawed.

SCdac
09-12-2010, 05:19 PM
I'm one of the biggest Durant fans... but come on, "something unique this game has never seen"? ... I wouldn't go that far, he's not revolutionizing his position or anything.. He's just a ball player, amongst hundreds upon hundreds of others... As far as McGrady, I'm not a huge fan but he did carry some bad teams, and the start of the decade he was blocking roughly 2 shots a game too (which is valuable from swingmen in general, imo)... One reason I'd take Durant over him though was because T-Mac struck me as very whiny, egotistical, and too injury prone even a young age. Basketball aint all about talent, sometimes it takes more.

hitmanyr2k
09-12-2010, 05:19 PM
Durant shits all over Carmelo's efficiency and he had the highest On/Off in the league last year.

Durant made a 17.2 ppg differential for OKC whereas Melo was 6.8

The only other players above 12 were Kobe, Dirk, LeBron, Wade, and Howard.

Yippee....Durant can shoot the ball. Now when that shot abandons him (like in the playoffs) does he have any other skill to fall back on? The answer is nooooooooo lol. In that respect he's Carmelo all over again. No matter how hard you try to skip and dance you can't avoid that plain and simple fact :oldlol:

Poochymama
09-12-2010, 05:20 PM
LeBron vs the Spurs in 07 43.7 TS%
LeBron vs the Celtics in 08 48.8 TS%
:bowdown:

I really am curious why you say 03 McGrady was nowhere near the scorer Durant is? How do the stats support that at all?

C-Webb4
09-12-2010, 05:21 PM
As I mentioned...his skills will grow(or at least change) but really...there is no lock anyone as good as these guys are at young ages gets flat out better. You just hit a level and stay roughly at it for as long as you can. He wouldnt be the first young superstar to peak in his youth.

There just isnt a lot more for him to do. People dont just...turn into really good ball handlers or passers. bigmen perhaps get better passing...guards/swingmen rarely do. If so not by much.

The areas he has a lot of room to improve arent the ones people usually do anything with.
We've seen this dude to be a gym rat, and it isn't some out of worldly formula that hard work = improvement as a player no matter how good you are. Lebron was great when he first entered the league but he still found things to improve on. Kobe made several improvements after the age of 25 (after already being in the league 7-8+ seasons). KD works very hard and I doubt very much that his game has peaked out right now.

joyner82
09-12-2010, 05:22 PM
I really am curious why you say 03 McGrady was nowhere near the scorer Durant is? How do the stats support that at all?

Durant scores at a rate and efficiency this league hasn't seen since prime Michael Jordan. McGrady was a great player taking way too many shots.

McGrady's career FG% is 43% which is very poor for a forward and his TS% was even more average.

I'm not that impressed with someone scoring 32 ppg on 24 shots. Carmelo could do that as well and he's not on Durant's level as a scorer either.

C-Webb4
09-12-2010, 05:23 PM
I'm one of the biggest Durant fans... but come on, "something unique this game has never seen"? ... I wouldn't go that far, he's not revolutionizing his position or anything.. He's just a ball player, amongst hundreds upon hundreds of others... As far as McGrady, I'm not a huge fan but he did carry some bad teams, and the start of the decade he was blocking roughly 2 shots a game too (which is valuable from swingmen in general, imo)... One reason I'd take Durant over him though was because T-Mac struck me as very whiny, egotistical, and too injury prone even a young age. Basketball aint all about talent, sometimes it takes more.
Yes he is. Tell me another baller you've seen in the league with his size and skillset to go with his size?

NBASTATMAN
Just curious, but is it of any importance that we are comparing T-Macs 4th career playoff series appearance to KD's first? And the fact that he was playing the defending champ LA Lakers?

that la team had one of the best defenders ever at the sf position guarding Durant as well..

Yung D-Will
Lol at people thinking FG% determines how good you are as a scorer.

:roll:

TheGreatDeraj
09-12-2010, 05:24 PM
Tmac was very good but injuries held him back and he never seemed to be a winner. KD is different that Tmac, he has a completely different mindset and is taller, has longer arms, is a better defender, rebounder and is the better shooter from everywhere. KD shoots the three, the midrange and free throws better and gets to the line just as well despite not attacking as much. Durant will be even scarier once he bulks up, so he can slash and post up more efficiently.

Some people knock on Durant for not getting a lot of assists, but he doesn't need to average lots of assists he has Westbrook running the point. All that matters is if Durant can pass out the double team and make the right play when his team needs it.

joyner82
09-12-2010, 05:24 PM
Yippee....Durant can shoot the ball. Now when that shot abandons him (like in the playoffs) does he have any other skill to fall back on? The answer is nooooooooo lol. In that respect he's Carmelo all over again. No matter how hard you try to skip and dance you can't avoid that plain and simple fact :oldlol:

LOL

Explain LeBron's numbers vs the Championship teams he has played in the playoffs? They're even worse than what Durant posted last year and he was older.

Durant is a very good defender at his age and could eventually become a great defender. He's the 2nd best rebounding small forward in the league behind Gerald Wallace and the guy is only 21 years old.

You should probably stop because prime Melo is nowhere near the player Durant is in his 3rd season.

Yung D-Will
09-12-2010, 05:26 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/70/180861105_664e540db1.jpg

C-Webb4
09-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Tmac was very good but injuries held him back and he never seemed to be a winner. KD is different that Tmac, he has a completely different mindset and is taller, has longer arms, is a better defender, rebounder and is the better shooter from everywhere. KD shoots the three, the midrange and free throws better and gets to the line just as well despite not attacking as much. Durant will be even scarier once he bulks up, so he can slash and post up more efficiently.

Some people knock on Durant for not getting a lot of assists, but he doesn't need to average lots of assists he has Westbrook running the point. All that matters is if Durant can pass out the double team and make the right play when his team needs it.

Exactly. Even if you are dumb enough to think that T-Mac is the better player, it still doesn't mean there's anything similar about them. They don't even have the same type of game or the same body type.

joyner82
09-12-2010, 05:27 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/70/180861105_664e540db1.jpg

why are you bringing that chucker in this thread?

NBASTATMAN
09-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Yes he is. Tell me another baller you've seen in the league with his size and skillset to go with his size?

Durant is much more efficent though ,Tmac was a better playmaker.. The one thing I would point out is that Durant can stop on a dime and hit midrange shots.. Tmac didn't utilize that skill or either didn't have that. Out of the new great young players only Kobe and Wade have utilized that.. Now DUrant.. That is a huge skill that is so hard to stop and so important for a players arsenal. Lebron seems to have developed a nice floater but still he barely stops on a dime and pops a midrange jump shot...

C-Webb4
09-12-2010, 05:29 PM
:oldlol: It was his first f*cking playoff appearance and he was playing against one of the top defensive teams (and players) in the league. T-mac's first playoff appearance he shot a whopping .386. Kobe was at .382. It happens, and clearly he will get better with more time and more experience.

Yung D-Will
09-12-2010, 05:31 PM

Because he's one of the greatest scorers of all time.

And another example of why FG% doesn't equal scoring ability

C-Webb4
He posted the initial picture that hi-jacked the thread, then he posted another non-related picture having nothing to do with the OP. It's clear this troll just came here to stir shit up.

Kblaze8855
Mcgrady was taking way too many shots? who should have been shooting more? In 03 he had Gordan Giricek for 27 games, Mike Miller for under 50, Grant Hill played just 29, and Drew gooden played 19. He had for most of the year...Armstrong, Mike Miller, Pat Garrity, Jacque Vaughn, and Shawn Kemp.

And he was taking too many shots?

Those guys would force him the ball. He could drive and get a guy wide open then would hesitate and wait for him t ostep back out. He had NOTHING t owork with most of his prime in Orlando.

He was playing with some all time weak supporting casts. But he should shoot less why? because you arent impressed by taking al ot of shots?

What is the basketball reason for him to give these bums the ball and let them work?

What reason related to the playing of basketball and the likelyhood of his team scoring...did he have to take less shots?

I remember people on here complaining that he didnt take MORE shots back when he and Kobe were both dropping 25-30 in the first half every game late in 03.

Tmac could have taken 35 shots a game and it would have been hard to argue with.

joyner82
09-12-2010, 05:33 PM
Because he's one of the greatest scorers of all time.

And another example of why FG% doesn't equal scoring ability

Yep 33 ppg on 30 shots sure is a great scorer. What a joke.

Iverson was a chucker and nothing more which is why he could never fit in an offense that wasn't specifically designed for him.

There are probably 20 players in the league that could average 33 ppg on 30 shots.

Yung D-Will
09-12-2010, 05:34 PM
Yep 33 ppg on 30 shots sure is a great scorer. What a joke.

Iverson was a chucker and nothing more which is why he could never fit in an offense that wasn't specifically designed for him.

There are probably 20 players in the league that could average 33 ppg on 30 shots.

And once again you show you never watch Prime A.I and just go by Box scores.

When did you start watching the Nba? in 09?

bdreason
09-12-2010, 05:35 PM
02-03 T-Mac averaged 32 PPG on 46%, on a mediocre, slow paced, Magic squad. (32/7/6/2/1).

I wouldn't say T-Mac was a more efficient scorer, but he was definitely a more diverse scorer, and a much better playmaker off the dribble in the half court set. T-Mac, much like Durant, had an unstoppable jumper, aided more by his lift than his long arms. T-Mac was also more explosive and could get to spots on the floor quicker than Durant.

That being said, I think Durant is going to get better.

joyner82
09-12-2010, 05:35 PM
And once again you show you never watch Prime A.I and just go by Box scores.

When did you start watching the Nba? in 09?

Because someone has the ability to get hot and score 50+ points make them a great scorer. It makes them a streaky scorer.

Iverson was extremely inconsistent and never efficient for a long period of time.

Yung D-Will
09-12-2010, 05:37 PM
Because someone has the ability to get hot and score 50+ points make them a great scorer. It makes them a streaky scorer.

Iverson was extremely inconsistent and never efficient for a long period of time.

Please. If you wanna know what makes A.I a great scorer go watch his Mvp season. And stop looking at Box scorers to determine how good a player is

C-Webb4
09-12-2010, 05:38 PM
02-03 T-Mac averaged 32 PPG on 46%, on a mediocre, slow paced, Magic squad. (32/7/6/2/1).

I wouldn't say T-Mac was a more efficient scorer, but he was definitely a more diverse scorer, and a much better playmaker off the dribble in the half court set. T-Mac, much like Durant, had an unstoppable jumper, aided more by his lift than his long arms. T-Mac was also more explosive and could get to spots on the floor quicker than Durant.

That being said, I think Durant is going to get better.

T-Mac was a streak shooter, while KD is far more consistent. T-Macs jumper was unstoppable when it was on, but it was like an on and off switch. Sometimes he could never miss and sometimes he could never put it in the basket. A lot more of a rhythm player and KD's jumper is a lot more smooth with better mechanics.

C-Webb4
09-12-2010, 05:39 PM
Please. If you wanna know what makes A.I a great scorer go watch his Mvp season. And stop looking at Box scorers to determine how good a player is
At least it's better than looking at pictures to determine who has a similar game, and skillset.

Yung D-Will
09-12-2010, 05:39 PM
At least it's better than looking at pictures to determine who has a similar game, and skillset.

What?

How do you determine similar game and skillset from pictures?

I posted a picture of T-Mac because people said the exact same thing about him

AirJordan&Magic
09-12-2010, 05:41 PM
Nowhere near the scorer/shooter?

Dude, what are you, 9?

Can someone please ban this guy?

You've said many ridiculous things but this might be the worst. T-mac was nowhere near the scorer/shooter Durant is...

I second this.

The guy is a complete idiot. This is the same moron that spent months trying to convince Insidehoops that Durant was better than LeBron.

C-Webb4
09-12-2010, 05:41 PM
What?

How do you determine similar game and skillset from pictures?

I posted a picture of T-Mac because people said the exact same thing about him
And it was true at the time. T-Mac is kind of a unique player, but not at all the same type of player as Durant.

barbaroi
09-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Durant is definitely scary good. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if this next decade becomes the decade of Durant instead of the Heat decade as many suppose.

C-Webb4
09-12-2010, 05:45 PM
Durant is definitely scary good. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if this next decade becomes the decade of Durant instead of the Heat decade as many suppose.
To me that all depends on if they get their hands on a quality big. That's just my opinion. But there's no question that if he remains fairly injury free he's gonna dominate for the next decade.

chips93
09-12-2010, 05:49 PM

hmmm yes i can see it now . . .

sam presti sitting in his office thinking ' durant is just too talented to play with us, we must do the league a favour, sacrifice our teams future and trade him ', and just then presti calls danny ainge and offers durant for nate robinson

or maybe in the real world oklahoma hang onto their bona fide 21 yr old superstar, and a player who just signed a 5 year extension

Yung D-Will
09-12-2010, 05:49 PM
I second this.

The guy is a complete idiot. This is the same moron that spent months trying to convince Insidehoops that Durant was better than LeBron.

He said Durant's season was better then Jordan's.

C-Webb4
09-12-2010, 05:51 PM
He said Durant's season was better then Jordan's.
He said that from a statistical and efficiency perspective at his age, we haven't seen something like that since a prime Jordan. Way to just take two words out of it and completely make your own sentence.

heyhey
09-12-2010, 05:54 PM
People fear what they can't understand. And that's why we see so much hate and fear over the rise of young Kevin Durant. Durant is poised to become the best player in the league once Kobe Bryant decides that he has had enough of Stern's shenanigans. But ISH posters can't understand how a young humble buck with no attitude, no ego, no steroid inflated muscles can be better than the likes of Lebron or Wade. That's why Durant catches so much hate.

The OP is right. kevin durant is like KG/Larry BIrd/Tmac/ rolled into one. This man will dominate the league for a long time. Lebron and Wade better win a ring in the next year or two before KD evolves into his prime. Cause no one is beating prime KD.

http://www.kevindurantonline.org/images/kevin-durant-picture%20(20).jpg
ALL NET

Kblaze8855
09-12-2010, 05:55 PM
I assume he was referencing a day or two ago when he said Durant is better than Jordan was at the end of his career with the Bulls.

C-Webb4
09-12-2010, 05:57 PM
I assume he was referencing a day or two ago when he said Durant is better than Jordan was at the end of his career with the Bulls.
Alright, then I guess I just missed that reference.

edit: and I agree with HeyHey. People hate that a guy so young, with so few flaws, a hard work ethic, and a humble personality is dominating so quickly without taking the usual lumps that most do to get to the top.

Kblaze8855
09-12-2010, 06:06 PM
I dont believe anyone hates on(Or cares for that matter) about any of that. People are mad because hes humble(he isnt...I dont buy any of them being humble...short of Yao Ming, works hard, and has few flaws? What is that?

why would anyone be upset or hate due to any of those qualities?

Anyone who has a problem with him likely has it for the same reason people get sick of most young guys forced down their throats. Nobody wants to hear so much about anyone.

Hes joining Kobe and Lebron as people that are just over exposed to the point you just dont need to hear about them anymore.

Every 2-3 years some new young guys pops up and you hear about nothing else but them(and the last couple young guys they always get compared to) for a while.

Kobe got old to me in like...2003. Lebron by 05. Wade in 06. There comes a point where you just wish someone had something to say about anyone else.

Though at the moment its easy to understand since there is nothing going on but the FIBA thing.

C-Webb4
09-12-2010, 06:08 PM
Every 2-3 years some new young guys pops up and you hear about nothing else but them(and the last couple young guys they always get compared to) for a while.
:roll: , do you even think before you type? That's a serious question. How many Kevin Durants pop up for us to talk about? Since the 03 draft class, how many people have come around to be in the same conversation as D-Wade, Bron and Melo? So we should not talk about one when he finally comes along out of respect to Kobe and Jordan??? What a joke.

GOBB
09-12-2010, 06:10 PM
No some people just hate fans who rush to jump on a player as if they have zero knowledge of the game before today. Saying he's a mixture of KG/Bird/Tmac as Heyhey did is what people hate. Not that the kid is fun to watch, he is progressing each season. Its the ridiculous comparisons and credit given when really its unfounded, untrue, offbase etc etc.

Tmac was a much better defender and playmaker than Durant is. Yet somehow you want us to believe he isnt. Thats what some fans hate. Not Durant, the people supporting Durant just being silly in thier responses. Reasonable fans dont want to see Durant fail, fumble, go thru these "lumps". They want people to stop acting like Durant is some uncommon player the league has never seen nor ever will. They want people to stop acting like a prime Tmac wasnt better than Durant today. Thats not hate. Thats people annoyed by the arguments his supports present.

Wake up and get it right.

C-Webb4
09-12-2010, 06:12 PM
No some people just hate fans who rush to jump on a player as if they have zero knowledge of the game before today. Saying he's a mixture of KG/Bird/Tmac as Heyhey did is what people hate. Not that the kid is fun to watch, he is progressing each season. Its the ridiculous comparisons and credit given when really its unfounded, untrue, offbase etc etc.

Tmac was a much better defender and playmaker than Durant is. Yet somehow you want us to believe he isnt. Thats what some fans hate. Not Durant, the people supporting Durant just being silly in thier responses. Reasonable fans dont want to see Durant fail, fumble, go thru these "lumps". They want people to stop acting like Durant is some uncommon player the league has never seen nor ever will. They want people to stop acting like a prime Tmac wasnt better than Durant today. Thats not hate. Thats people annoyed by the arguments his supports present.

I think only a 5th grader with zero kind of comprehension would believe that a statement like that means he's a combination of all those players and a better version. It pretty much just means he has a variety of different qualities from each of those players. KG's being size and length, Bird's being shooting ability (obviously not as good). But don't be an idiot, you know what he meant, or at least you should've.

whatever666
09-12-2010, 06:20 PM

On FIBA level yes... but when he plays against the elite, like Lebron... he is extremly one dimensional and stoppable...

whatever666
09-12-2010, 06:21 PM
And the overrating continues.....

GOBB
09-12-2010, 06:21 PM
I think only a 5th grader with zero kind of comprehension would believe that a statement like that means he's a combination of all those players and a better version. It pretty much just means he has a variety of different qualities from each of those players. KG's being size and length, Bird's being shooting ability (obviously not as good). But don't be an idiot, you know what he meant, or at least you should've.

How is he like KG? Because he's tall? Dirk has size and length too and is notoriously known for being a player who can shoot ANYWHERE on the court. KG has never been known to do that. But hey KG has the same size/length as Durant, much better comparison there. League hasnt seen anyone Durant size before. Ok, news to me.

How is he like Bird? Because both can shoot? See Dirk, or see any shooter in the NBA with a wet jumper. Why Bird? Durant last year in the 4th quarter did what? If i'm not mistan one of Durants knocks was the 4th quarter he tends to disappear. Lets ignore that. Bird is synonmous with shooting so Durant being a very good shooter makes it stick. The league has had numerous shooters.

How is he like Tmac? Tmac could run an offense. Durant hasnt shown it nor do I think he'll ever develop that part of his game. Does he need too? No.

Combination of those players huh. :rolleyes:

This is what some people hate. Not Durant. Not what Durant can potentially be down the road. People like you who just make responses that make me scratch my head. How old are you? Like really.

C-Webb4
09-12-2010, 06:22 PM
And the overrating continues.....
Yes, saying the dude is unique is overrating him. I humbly apologize. :bowdown:

Kblaze8855
09-12-2010, 06:23 PM
lmao, do you even think before you type? That's a serious question. How many Kevin Durants pop up for us to talk about? Since the 03 draft class, how many people have come around to be in the same conversation as D-Wade, Bron and Melo? So we should not talk about one when he finally comes along out of respect to Kobe and Jordan??? What a joke.

I have been here since the 01-02 season. Durant is the 9th of these young guys who reached the "Another topic on this guy?" point.

I didnt say I didnt get why people wanted to talk about them. I said they get overexposed and it results in people getting sick of them.

And I didnt say a thing about respect to Kobe and Jordan. I dont know where you even got that from.

C-Webb4
09-12-2010, 06:30 PM
How is he like KG? Because he's tall? Dirk has size and length too and is notoriously known for being a player who can shoot ANYWHERE on the court. KG has never been known to do that. But hey KG has the same size/length as Durant, much better comparison there. League hasnt seen anyone Durant size before. Ok, news to me.

Geez you are dense. This is the original post since I am now 100% sure you didn't read it.

A 6'10 swingman with KG's height and length, with guard-like dribbling and shooting ability, great rebounding ability, good shotblocker, and good defender. If he adds a bit more weight, develops a post game, and improves on his passing ability this guy is gonna be unstoppable.

If you disagree with it, that's fine, it's cool. Just know what exactly it is you are disagreeing with.

TryToBeUnbias
09-12-2010, 06:31 PM

This man speaks truth.

C-Webb4
09-12-2010, 06:31 PM
I have been here since the 01-02 season. Durant is the 9th of these young guys who reached the "Another topic on this guy?" point.

I didnt say I didnt get why people wanted to talk about them. I said they get overexposed and it results in people getting sick of them.

And I didnt say a thing about respect to Kobe and Jordan. I dont know where you even got that from.
And who are the other 8 players since the 01-02 season who have matched what Durant has produced at this age? Just curious.

Peteballa
09-12-2010, 06:34 PM

Kblaze... just stop. Most of the people on this board are complete morons, what you're saying won't get through to them. It's completely logical, makes sense, but they're too stuck on Durant's dick to get off of it. It's futile.

Peteballa
09-12-2010, 06:36 PM
And who are the other 8 players since the 01-02 season who have matched what Durant has produced at this age? Just curious.

LeBron, Wade, Melo, Paul, Amare... young players getting hyped out of control (whether warranted or not) is not uncommon. and Durant's accomplishments aren't uncommon. Let's wait until he's 35 and dropped 30k points in his career to dub him the Greatest Scorer Ever (Like Joyner thinks), or anything along those lines.

C-Webb4
09-12-2010, 06:37 PM
LeBron, Wade, Melo, Paul, Amare... young players getting hyped out of control (whether warranted or not) is not uncommon. and Durant's accomplishments aren't uncommon. Let's wait until he's 35 and dropped 30k points in his career to dub him the Greatest Scorer Ever (Like Joyner thinks), or anything along those lines.
That's the entire point. In his case it's very warranted.

edit: and yes his accomplishments at 21 years old are uncommon. Very uncommon.

Doranku
09-12-2010, 06:40 PM
:oldlol: @ comparing KD to the 'other flashy swingmen' of the generation. You guys will be singing a different tune when KD finishes top 3-5 all time in points scored.

Peteballa
09-12-2010, 06:41 PM
That's the entire point. In his case it's very warranted.

edit: and yes his accomplishments at 21 years old are uncommon. Very uncommon.

LeBron, Wade, Kobe, Garnett were all as good as Durant was when they were his age. Maybe not Wade, he was a bit older, but by his 3rd year in the NBA (same as Durant) he was a finals MVP in one of the greatest finals performances ever.

It's not that uncommon. Really.

Btw, I like Durant, but he is getting overrated as hell. So he shoots well and scores a lot, who gives a **** so do a lot of players. I would take so many players over him.

GOBB
09-12-2010, 06:42 PM
Geez you are dense. This is the original post since I am now 100% sure you didn't read it.

If you disagree with it, that's fine, it's cool. Just know what exactly it is you are disagreeing with.

Durant doesnt rebound nor defend like KG did. Both are tall and slim (KG was). I know what I'm disagreeing with. Do you know what qualities of the two are even comparable?

C-Webb4
09-12-2010, 06:42 PM
LeBron, Wade, Kobe, Garnett were all as good as Durant was when they were his age. Maybe not Wade, he was a bit older, but by his 3rd year in the NBA (same as Durant) he was a finals MVP in one of the greatest finals performances ever.

It's not that uncommon. Really.
:roll: No they weren't. Only person you can say that about was probably Bron, that's it. Kobe wasn't as good at that age, KG wasn't, Amare wasn't.. no other HS player has been.

C-Webb4
09-12-2010, 06:44 PM
Durant doesnt rebound nor defend like KG did. Both are tall and slim (KG was). I know what I'm disagreeing with. Do you know what qualities of the two are even comparable?
I didn't say their games or qualities were comparable. Merely their size and length. If someone else mentioned their games, then I guess you are disagreeing with that person.

Peteballa
09-12-2010, 06:45 PM
:roll: No they weren't. Only person you can say that about was probably Bron, that's it. Kobe wasn't as good at that age, KG wasn't, Amare wasn't.. no other HS player has been.

Like I said, Wade's 3rd year in the NBA (I consider this more important than age, look at Garnett breaking down at age 31-32) he had one of the greatest Finals performances of all time. Probably Bron? Dude, Bron at Durant's age SHITS on Durant's performance. Garnett was better than Durant in his third year. A much better rebounder, defender, post scorer, he even had a decent mid range jump shot. He helped his team more.

C-Webb4
09-12-2010, 06:47 PM
Like I said, Wade's 3rd year in the NBA (I consider this more important than age, look at Garnett breaking down at age 31-32) he had one of the greatest Finals performances of all time. Probably Bron? Dude, Bron at Durant's age SHITS on Durant's performance. Garnett was better than Durant in his third year. A much better rebounder, defender, post scorer, he even had a decent mid range jump shot. He helped his team more.
Age is clearly an important factor. Hence the reason why Lebron is most likely gonna have a longer NBA career than Dwayne Wade or at least with greater productivity.

ZenMaster
09-12-2010, 06:55 PM

Kobe Bryant's contract is up at the end of 2013-2014, just in time to sign a smaller contract or retire so the Lakers get cap flexibility for 2015-2016 where KD becomes a free agent. BOOM!

http://www.pe.com/imagesdaily/2007/06-21/lakers_bryant_400.jpg

Willkill24
09-12-2010, 07:00 PM
Kobe at 22 was better than durant

Kblaze8855
09-12-2010, 07:02 PM
All these young guys stop looking special around 21-22. Its no longer unusual to be great around then. I remember having the same discussion about Lebron when told he was on pace to be better than Jordan when he wasl ike 21. Durant I think is about to be 22? I think thats what they said during the game.

At 21 Shaq was a 29/13 player and I think made the finals at 22. Duncan won the title at 21 or 22. When KG was 22 he was second in MVP voting. Lebron was a 31/7/7 player at 21 and went to the finals at 22. At 22 Dwight was putting up 21/14 and leading the league in blocks. Finals the next season. Chris paul led I think the #2 team in the west at 22 and almost won MVP. Kobe had a couple rings at 22(we all know Shaq is why...but we also all know the love Kobe got off those rings).

You even go tothe old days 21-22 is around when guys have great accomplishments. Bill Russell won the title at 22. Magic was finals MVp at 20 or so. Moses malone was 22 in his first MVP season when he put up 25/18. Kareem was the best playeri n the league at 22. Bob Mcadoo was putting up 30 something and 15 at 22 and then won MVP. Hakeem I think was maybe 22 or 23(probably 23) when he first made the finals.

Durant is no doubt a special young player. But there have been plenty of them. Not like him. But everyone is unique. How many 6'9'' white guys play 4-5 positions, win the 3 point shootout, and average 7-8 assists like Bird? How many power forward sized guys put up 13 assists a game like Magic? How many 5'11'' guys drop 33 a game like AI? How many 350 pounders do what Shaq did? Lebron is 6'8'' or 9 said by a reporter who saw him on a scale to be 278 pounds and ive seen him play 4 positions and take off from like 14 feet in game for dunks. That is absurd. Look at Barkley in his prime. You might never see that again out of anyone near his height and weight.

Hes unique its just....when you start talking about being super unique...lot of guys have to come up. And when you talk about greatness at a young age...there are plenty of others to mention.

This game has been around too long and too many greats have done too many things to really justify some of the claims young players get. Not just Durant either. Lebron is another.

All these young guys come in and people act like nothing like it has ever happened....

Memories are real short.

C-Webb4
09-12-2010, 07:04 PM
All those players you mentioned are future first ballot HOF'ers. So it does nothing to your point that their greatness should not be talked about.

GOBB
09-12-2010, 07:04 PM
All these young guys stop looking special around 21-22. Its no longer unusual to be great around then. I remember having the same discussion about Lebron when told he was on pace to be better than Jordan when he wasl ike 21. Durant I think is about to be 22? I think thats what they said during the game.

At 21 Shaq was a 29/13 player and I think made the finals at 22. Duncan won the title at 21 or 22. When KG was 22 he was second in MVP voting. Lebron was a 31/7/7 player at 21 and went to the finals at 22. At 22 Dwight was putting up 21/14 and leading the league in blocks. Finals the next season. Chris paul led I think the #2 team in the west at 22 and almost won MVP. Kobe had a couple rings at 22(we all know Shaq is why...but we also all know the love Kobe got off those rings).

You even go tothe old days 21-22 is around when guys have great accomplishments. Bill Russell won the title at 22. Magic was finals MVp at 20 or so. Moses malone was 22 in his first MVP season when he put up 25/18. Kareem was the best playeri n the league at 22. Bob Mcadoo was putting up 30 something and 15 at 22 and then won MVP. Hakeem I think was maybe 22 or 23(probably 23) when he first made the finals.

Durant is no doubt a special young player. But there have been plenty of them. Not like him. But everyone is unique. How many 6'9'' white guys play 4-5 positions, win the 3 point shootout, and average 7-8 assists like Bird? How many power forward sized guys put up 13 assists a game like Magic? How many 5'11'' guys drop 33 a game like AI? How many 350 pounders do what Shaq did? Lebron is 6'8'' or 9 said by a reporter who saw him on a scale to be 278 pounds and ive seen him play 4 positions and take off from like 14 feet in game for dunks. That is absurd.

Hes unique its just....when you start talking about being super unique...lot of guys have to come up. And when you talk about greatness at a young age...there are plenty of others to mention.

This game has been around too long and too many greats have done too many things to really justify some of the claims young players get. Not just Durant either. Lebron is another.

All these young guys come in and people act like nothing like it has ever happened....

Memories are real short.

Bingo

barbaroi
09-12-2010, 07:08 PM
Durant scored 30+ on 60+ TS%. Only 5 other players have ever managed that. And he's the first since Jordan in 91.

Kblaze8855
09-12-2010, 07:09 PM
Did I say Durant isnt a HOF player? did I say he shouldnt be talked about? I said your claim that people dont like his humbleness, working hard,and all that....just isnt true. People dont like hearing about anyone ALL the time. Thats a major source of the hate that most everyone like him sees.

Its a basketball forum. I never said great young players shouldnt be talked about.

But when they are given the attention he is....people get sick of them.

C-Webb4
09-12-2010, 07:09 PM
Bingo
Bingo to what though? He based an entire rant on something that wasn't even the original point. The point wasn't that a young guy hasn't put up great numbers before. The point was that he has a unique skillset for his size and that there's not really a former (or current) player who you can really draw a comparison too (other than if you try and do it statistically like Kblaze) so nobody has really refuted that point but yet feel they have "won" or accomplished something by arguing about something totally different.

Peteballa
09-12-2010, 07:10 PM
He's a unique player. His accomplishments aren't. That's really all there is to it.

C-Webb4
09-12-2010, 07:12 PM
He's a unique player. His accomplishments aren't. That's really all there is to it.
Read the OP and tell me that you're saying something different than what I said.

Peteballa
09-12-2010, 07:15 PM
Read the OP and tell me that you're saying something different than what I said.

The topic of the thread changed. I agree with the OP for the most part, but it started to turn into a "Durant is going to one of the top 3 scorers of all time"-type fest.

Kobe8
09-12-2010, 07:16 PM
I Like KD's Game A lot because he's so young and talented but people have been Over-rating him .. comparing him to t-mac is way over the line..

T-Mac Just Landed on the wrong team , and a slight different of era where GREAT players flooded the NBA, 90's - 2004 .. IMO , This is like Comparing Kobe Bryant to Michael Jordan. Durant Has A lot more to learn, And Plus Durant is the OKC's Primary Scorer with the help of Russell Who is btw an excellent PG.

So T-MAC had who? After two years they acquired VC? And Before that he had Damon Stoudemire?

Its All About the Team Balance And Different Play Styles/Position's , T-Mac will Kill Durant. T-Mac Just didnt have enough confidence on himself.

And When he got traded to the Magic , It was clearly ALL HIM.
And By The Time he got to Houston Rockets , It was all Blehhhhhhhhhhhh..
:rant

If he would've landed with the teams like with FULL Of veterans/Playoff Caliber Team , he would've been better.. like Spurs.

I Swear Rookies These Days Dont Improve as much as before..

C-Webb4
09-12-2010, 07:17 PM
The topic of the thread changed. I agree with the OP for the most part, but it started to turn into a "Durant is going to one of the top 3 scorers of all time"-type fest.
Someone said that he has the possibility to be a top 3-5 in all-time points scored and it's true. Will he get there? It's hard to say because it's very early and a lot of things could happen between now and then. But it's entirely possible.

hitmanyr2k
09-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Bingo to what though? He based an entire rant on something that wasn't even the original point. The point wasn't that a young guy hasn't put up great numbers before. The point was that he has a unique skillset for his size and that there's not really a former (or current) player who you can really draw a comparison too (other than if you try and do it statistically like Kblaze) so nobody has really refuted that point but yet feel they have "won" or accomplished something by arguing about something totally different.

What skillset? What's so unique about Durant? What does he do besides score on jumpers? I asked before when his jumpshot is off what else does he give a team? The answer is nothing. You and joyner can dance around it all you want but it's the truth. Right now Durant is one of those guys I term "useless if he isn't scoring". That's why he's Carmelo Part 2 to me.You want to anoint the guy and call him unique but there's nothing unique about him. Right now he's a black hole scorer with a lot of "ifs" in his game.

ZenMaster
09-12-2010, 07:23 PM
What skillset? What's so unique about Durant? What does he do besides score on jumpers? I asked before when his jumpshot is off what else does he give a team? The answer is nothing. You and joyner can dance around it all you want but it's the truth. Right now Durant is one of those guys I term "useless if he isn't scoring". That's why he's Carmelo Part 2 to me.You want to anoint the guy and call him unique but there's nothing unique about him. Right now he's a black hole scorer with a lot of "ifs" in his game.

He draws a lot of fouls, that makes him more than a jump shooter. He's also a capable rebounder and defender. This makes him valuable on both ends of the floor, this also makes him more than just a jump shooter.

An example of a guy who only scores on jumpers is Marco Belinelli, not KD. Being a good shooter is just a part of his game. Being a good shooter when you're 6'10 and got long freaky arms is a pretty useful skill though.

catch24
09-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Gotta love the Durant sensationalism

:facepalm

Fatal9
09-12-2010, 07:42 PM
:oldlol: at Durant being better than T-Mac circa '01-'03, especially '03.

We all saw how he looked against the Lakers with a physical defender like Artest on him - helpless and incapable of contributing. His jumper wasn't going down and he could do nothing, couldn't get to the rim, couldn't create plays for teammates, could rebound a bit I guess. T-Mac's scoring that season > Durant's. T-Mac had no one else doing anything for him, Durant at least benefits from guys like Westbrook and Green, and can get easy dunks in the open court from being on a team that is near the top of the league in steals (reason he has more dunks than T-Mac, because they damn sure aren't coming from him breaking defenders off and dunking over centers). That and early 00s were probably the best defensive period in league history. Durant right now other than rebounding (and just barely) does nothing better than peak T-Mac did.

C-Webb4
09-12-2010, 07:49 PM
^^ I don't know how many times it stands to be repeated that it was his first playoff appearance. But that's obviously being lost on some people, so i'm not even gonna repeat it again.

GOBB
09-12-2010, 08:10 PM

Insecure poster you are.

Sarcastic
09-12-2010, 08:36 PM
While I do think Durant is an amazing basketball player and possesses extraordinary skills, ultimately his greatness will be determined by how many rings he is able to win. Amirite?

50inchvertical
09-12-2010, 10:11 PM
You know he dunked last yr more than all but 3 people in the league, right?

DuMa
09-12-2010, 10:13 PM
Durant definitely was overrated during the Laker series. but this summer he took a huge step in his development and i think he is turning the page on some of his critics.

N0Skillz
09-12-2010, 10:16 PM

he is not 6"10. Straight out 7 feet

Laker Logic
09-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Not sure whether this will be considered overrating, but I'm about ready to declare Durant the purest scorer I've witnessed in my lifetime.

He's got his flaws, and they've been mentioned - his ballhandling needs to improve, he's not a defensive beast, and he has shown some trouble adjusting to physical D.

But you cannot watch the guy play for any length of time and not appreciate how uncanny he is to just put points on the board - period.

His jumper is a thing of beauty - if you don't appreciate watching him pull up, at his age, from any damn spot he pleases and just rain buckets, then you're watching the wrong sport.

If you can't respect that he's quietly (not the same thing as humbly) putting his name in the conversation with the best players in the game (a bit prematurely, but only a bit) then you should subscribe to the golf channel.

Is he totally unique...well depends on how you define totally - TMac's a fair comparison, and you could argue he's a taller, worse-defending version of Reggie Miller. But Miller was a lot more streaky and had a more limited arsenal of shots - he was more in love with the three than Durant is.

Prime Tmac was more well rounded than Durant, and he wasn't surrounded by as much talent, but Tmac to me was always just...missing something. He didn't strike fear into me as a fan of one of his opposing teams. He might score a bunch, probably would, and might beat you almost singlehandedly, but he wasn't a killer. He didn't (to me) have the iced veins and will to dominate that the most elite players do, and that isn't captured in FG%, TS, PER or anything.

Whatever it is, you just know it when you see it, and Durant has it.

DuMa
09-12-2010, 10:35 PM
Not sure whether this will be considered overrating, but I'm about ready to declare Durant the purest scorer I've witnessed in my lifetime.

He's got his flaws, and they've been mentioned - his ballhandling needs to improve, he's not a defensive beast, and he has shown some trouble adjusting to physical D.

But you cannot watch the guy play for any length of time and not appreciate how uncanny he is to just put points on the board - period.

His jumper is a thing of beauty - if you don't appreciate watching him pull up, at his age, from any damn spot he pleases and just rain buckets, then you're watching the wrong sport.

If you can't respect that he's quietly (not the same thing as humbly) putting his name in the conversation with the best players in the game (a bit prematurely, but only a bit) then you should subscribe to the golf channel.

Is he totally unique...well depends on how you define totally - TMac's a fair comparison, and you could argue he's a taller, worse-defending version of Reggie Miller. But Miller was a lot more streaky and had a more limited arsenal of shots - he was more in love with the three than Durant is.

Prime Tmac was more well rounded than Durant, and he wasn't surrounded by as much talent, but Tmac to me was always just...missing something. He didn't strike fear into me as a fan of one of his opposing teams. He might score a bunch, probably would, and might beat you almost singlehandedly, but he wasn't a killer. He didn't (to me) have the iced veins and will to dominate that the most elite players do, and that isn't captured in FG%, TS, PER or anything.

How is he a worse defender than Reggie? Durant is supremely underrated defensively. He can defend 3 positions on his best night and with that length, he is probably among the best for weak side help.

Laker Logic
09-12-2010, 10:47 PM
How is he a worse defender than Reggie? Durant is supremely underrated defensively. He can defend 3 positions on his best night and with that length, he is probably among the best for weak side help.

I didn't say he's a bad defender, I said he's worse than Reggie on D (all around, not just weak side), which he is.

And phrases like "on his best night" and "can defend 3 positions" are meaningless in this context. Straight up - if you had to ask Durant at this point or prime Reggie to stop someone...anyone almost - Reggie would get the assignment 10 times out of 10. He was an underrated defender, smart, tenacious, and long as hell.

Right now, today, the only thing Durant has on Reggie defensively is length. He will probably get better with more experience, maybe more tenacious...though I don't know if he's wired like that.

Don't get touchy - I'm not saying Durant's a bad defensive player. All things considered I'd take Durant over prime Milller right now - but not because of his defense.

Jacks3
09-12-2010, 11:09 PM
Kobe had a couple rings at 22(we all know Shaq is why...but we also all know the love Kobe got off those rings).

Idiot. :facepalm

GOBB
09-12-2010, 11:17 PM

What games did Durant do/show that last season? And this is being said as someone who hasnt watched Durant every single game he played last year. So I'm not going to pretend/front I did.

SinJackal
09-12-2010, 11:30 PM

I'd have taken 02'-03 T-Mac over last year's Durant.

32/6.5/5.5/1.7/0.8, 0.7 less turnovers, 56% TS%
vs
30/7.6/2.8/1.4/1, 0.7 more turnovers, 60% TS%

T-Mac was more explosive, and was a better passer, pre-rule changes.

Durant was just a little more efficiant, with softer perimeter defense rules.

It's not that unrealistic to assume T-Mac would have been at least a little more efficiant after the rule changes if he was still the player he was at that time.

I think we're forgetting just how good peak T-Mac was.

samballs
09-12-2010, 11:45 PM
He has one of the smoothest shots I've ever seen

GOBB
09-12-2010, 11:54 PM
He has one of the smoothest shots I've ever seen

Ever see Ray Allen?

Micku
09-13-2010, 12:30 AM
That's cool. Can't wait to see him this season. Hope he lives up to the hype. It'll be very entertaining.

PaPaK
09-13-2010, 02:00 PM
lets see: tall, very good shooter, good rebounder, a scroing machine.. mm

Dirk Nowitzki? now he is unique. find me another 7 footer that can do what Dirk does

C-Webb4
09-13-2010, 02:50 PM
Ever see Ray Allen?
:oldlol: There you go again. The dude said he has ONE OF the smoothest jumpshots he's ever seen and you ask him if he's ever seen Ray Allen. Why do people consistently use other greats to denounce the talent of others?

Papaya Petee
09-13-2010, 03:15 PM
3rd year LeBron, Wade and Cp3 were better just saying.

And 2002-2003 T-Mac was better then Kevin Durant was.

32\7\6\2\1 on 46% and 38% 3 is insane.

Durant will not become the best player in the league until he can become a good playmaker, right now he's not, he's just a scorer.

04mzwach
09-13-2010, 03:52 PM

People give me a break.

:oldlol: Serious?

hitmanyr2k
09-13-2010, 04:10 PM
You know he dunked last yr more than all but 3 people in the league, right?

So? What does that prove exactly? Citing the number of dunks a player gets without context is stupid. Shawn Marion used to dunk a lot too. Did that make him a good slasher? Hell no :oldlol: . He was a player that got spoonfed for alleyoops and on the break in an uptempo system.

BlueandGold
09-13-2010, 04:13 PM
So? What does that prove exactly? Citing the number of dunks a player gets without context is stupid. Shawn Marion used to dunk a lot too. Did that make him a good slasher? Hell no :oldlol: . He was a player that got spoonfed for alleyoops and on the break in an uptempo system.

Well Durant isn't being spoon-fed dunks from Nash, Amare or even Joe Johnson.

Durant is having to worry about creating offense for Theb, Green, and all his other teammates.

hitmanyr2k
09-13-2010, 04:18 PM
Well Durant isn't being spoon-fed dunks from Nash, Amare or even Joe Johnson.

Durant is having to worry about creating offense for Theb, Green, and all his other teammates.

:roll:

laronprofit9
09-13-2010, 04:27 PM
I see a lot of Dirk Nowitzki in Kevin Durant actually.

I think Durant is more similar to Dirk than TMac.

TMac was most similar to Kobe. I always thought that, their games were identical in many ways. TMac had the advantage with his superior size. But Kobe was more tenacious which showed in his man-on-man defense advantage, and Kobe proved to have more heart and a killer which is what really separates the 2.

TMac had the 2nd best pullup jumper for a perimeter player after Kobe. And TMac was probably the best at taking contested 3's off the dribble I have seen of any player. TMac had good footwork, a turn-around fadeaway similar to Kobe's, great handles, a mean crossover, good post-game, athletic, speed to penetrate to the basket, great finisher, and a good playmaker.

TMac was a more complete player than Durant. He was far more versatile as a scorer, but I believe Durant is just as effective because of his great shooting touch that is superior to TMac's.

Durant isn't as complete of scorer like Kobe or TMac. His game is more like Dirk's imo. But slightly more athletic and skilled.

Bigsmoke
09-13-2010, 07:22 PM
i think Tmac is overrated because when ever his fans mention him in his prime, they only bring up that "ONE" season . yep. ONE season makes him better than ect. in his prime. Its funny that Tmac never averaged over 30ppg after that year and never shot over 43% either and he was only 23 year old in that 2002-2003 season.

ZenMaster
09-13-2010, 07:31 PM
:oldlol: There you go again. The dude said he has ONE OF the smoothest jumpshots he's ever seen and you ask him if he's ever seen Ray Allen. Why do people consistently use other greats to denounce the talent of others?

It's a common theme.

ukplayer4
09-14-2010, 01:27 AM
i have to agree with the older lot and not the kids, as good as durant is now t-mac was the better player, he was an inch shorter but faaarrrr more athletic and a much better ball handler and passer and had atleast as much range as durant- actually id say more.

50inchvertical
09-14-2010, 01:36 AM
Proves that he is not just a jump shooter off screens like you said. You don't get 10ftas a game and be 3rd in the league in dunks if you're just a jump shooter. You basically described Jason Kapono.

fbnyc
09-14-2010, 01:41 AM
Durant will not become the best player in the league until he can become a good playmaker, right now he's not, he's just a scorer.

I can see why you say this but does he need to be that much of a playmaker to be considered the best player in the future? On OKC that is Bryant Westbrook's job and not Durant's. Look at OKC's offense and you'll see that Durant doesn't dominate the ball. Plays are created for him.

Right now he doesn't need to and if he starts doing that he will need to dominate the ball more. That would be more of a negative effect in terms of OKC's offense.

He can still improve in that aspect but I wouldn't care if he's a better playmaker than Lebron or Kobe. He just needs to continue to do what he does best and at a high level.

the_wise_one
09-14-2010, 02:05 AM
Durant is already much better than prime T-Mac. And a winner too.
Give him a B team? No problem, world champions.
Give Lebron an A team? Bronze.

SinJackal
09-14-2010, 02:20 AM
What about George Gervin? :confusedshrug:

He wasn't quite as big as Durant, but brought basically the same thing to the game. Scoring/rebounding/shot blocking guard/forward with nice dribbles, pretty good perimeter defense, and a smooth game.

andgar923
09-14-2010, 02:22 AM
Threads like this and posts like "Tmac was nowhere near the scorer that Durant is" give this board a bad name.

Idiots