PDA

View Full Version : Will the Knicks reneg on Amare if Lebron doesn't sign?

Tito Beasley
07-06-2010, 04:59 AM
The school of thought around this absurd agreement with Amare Stoudamire seems to be that they did it in order to make it easier for Lebron to justify going to New York in basketball terms by having a name like Stoudamire already there.

But without Lebron, this contract for Amare is a complete disaster. I mean, DAntoni and Walsh HAVE to know that, right???? I mean they have to.

So..... since right now they can only make verbal agreements.... and they'll know Lebron's decision before Stoudamire can actually sign on the dotted line.... is it at all possible they would reneg on Stoudamire if they know Lebron has decided to go elsewhere???

I know it would be insanely cold hearted and devestating to their reputation....but would it be the smart thing to do?

DaniloGallinari
07-06-2010, 05:01 AM
No. I'd rather see Amare and whoever play interesting basketball, than us play horrible basketball for another 5 years. At least some excitement would be present. If nobody else signs, we should resign Lee, and this line-up wouldn't be bad if we also got Felton.

C Lee
PF Amare
SF Gallinari
SG Chandler
PG Felton

blackification
07-06-2010, 05:02 AM
no because they will still have a good shot at melo next year.

Go Getter
07-06-2010, 05:02 AM
No. I'd rather see Amare and whoever play interesting basketball, than us play horrible basketball for another 5 years. At least some excitement would be present. If nobody else signs, we should resign Lee, and this line-up wouldn't be bad if we also got Felton.

C Lee
PF Amare
SF Gallinari
SG Chandler
PG Felton

That team isn't competing for anything but a spot in last place.

DaniloGallinari
07-06-2010, 05:04 AM
That team isn't competing for anything but a spot in last place.

That would be a good regular season team that could possibly outrun many other teams in the NBA.

Why do people make judgments as if they can see the future? I find it funny and stupid.

El Kabong
07-06-2010, 05:10 AM
They've built up the fans expectations on them scoring a big FA. Since IT was given the boot, everything has been with the current period in mind, they've given away draft picks and everything for it. Re-signing David Lee and a bunch of scrubbers isn't going to cut it. They had to sign a big name FA and they've done it. It's probably the most exciting period in Knicks basketball since they made the finals back in '99 (That's me guessing, a Knick fan could tell you otherwise).

Go Getter
07-06-2010, 05:36 AM
That would be a good regular season team that could possibly outrun many other teams in the NBA.

Why do people make judgments as if they can see the future? I find it funny and stupid.

If you eat too many fried foods your heart and arteries will suffer.

I can't tell the future but I know this.

If you field a team with poor defenders and no true center, your team will suck.

I can't tell the future but I know this also.

bluechox
07-06-2010, 06:07 AM
we can reup on lee and maybe sign ray allen with the rest of the space

niko
07-06-2010, 08:23 AM
Do you really think they would? If you want to take shots at the Knicks, write a proper I HATE THE KNICKS thread, not something so absurd and stupid that you know the answer to.

DaniloGallinari
07-06-2010, 08:29 AM
If you eat too many fried foods your heart and arteries will suffer.

I can't tell the future but I know this.

If you field a team with poor defenders and no true center, your team will suck.

I can't tell the future but I know this also.
And how many true centers are there really in the NBA? That team would destroy any PF-C combo due to their speed and shooting.

What do fried foods have to do with this. We can speculate on what the team will do, but to say outright that they will fail is a bit immature and childish. It seems to me that the comment stems from hate rather than smart judgment.

Yung D-Will
07-06-2010, 08:29 AM
So if Lebron doesn't sign they should reneg the contract of the best player the Knicks have had in the past 5 years. :oldlol:

adamcz
07-06-2010, 08:32 AM

C Lee
PF Amare
SF Gallinari
SG Chandler
PG Felton
Oh my goodness that would be a fun lineup for Bogut to beast on. Is there a softer defensive frontcourt in the NBA?

DaniloGallinari
07-06-2010, 08:32 AM
Oh my goodness that would be a fun lineup for Bogut to beast on. Is there a softer defensive frontcourt in the NBA?

Yes, but same thing would be said on the other side. Who is Bogut guarding exactly? Cause he won't keep up with Lee or Amare.

adamcz
07-06-2010, 08:35 AM
Yes, but same thing would be said on the other side. Who is Bogut guarding exactly? Cause he won't keep up with Lee or Amare.
Bogut is one of the best defensive players in the NBA. He outplays Lee all the time - check the box scores.

DaniloGallinari
07-06-2010, 08:39 AM
Bogut is one of the best defensive players in the NBA. He outplays Lee all the time - check the box scores.

Maybe, but we are talking both Amare and Lee here. I can count the number of teams with a 1-2 punch low post scoring combo in one hand.

adamcz
07-06-2010, 08:48 AM
I don't understand what you're getting at. A front line of SF/PF/PF, and all three guys are weak defenders... it's not like the two PFs are both going to average 30 points on 50% shooting and somehow make up for all that bad defense. You think that's a playoff team?

And it isn't just big men that are going to beast on them. Penetrating guards are going to finish at the rim all day long.

The Suns at their peak had prime Marion contributing a lot of blocks, steals, and defensive rebounds to make up for some of the holes - and more importantly they had one of the best offensive players of all time running the point. That was elite offense.

If the Knicks somehow trade for Chris Paul with those defenders, I'll say "yeah ok, maybe the offense can make up for the defense."

DaniloGallinari
07-06-2010, 08:51 AM
Gallinari isn't that bad on defense. You can say he improved 100% since last year. He has the will to improve, so there's hope there. Also, Chandler is a good defender, and T.Douglas is basically our best defender. He'd be a great defender on any team.

Lee and Amare are the weak link.

Rameek
07-06-2010, 09:00 AM
No the only way the Knicks would reneg on the contract is if Lebron or Wade say I am coming and we are going after Bosh. Other than that Amare is ours uninsured guaranteed 5 year deal (I will say this over and over again till it sinks in with other Knick fans it isnt a good contract).

Amare does present some attractiveness to other players be it this year or next year. With that said Lee isnt coming back because the cap space will be held over until Summer '11 as much as possible.

The only cap space that will be used at this point is to find a PG which will happen after the top 3 FA's makes there decision. I think its possible a 3 team trade could be in the works to fill that need.

Gallo is a solid defender as it turns out. But most people wouldnt know this because of all the bad defense played as a team but Chandler and Gallo were good on the bal[ defenders.

bagelred
07-06-2010, 09:06 AM
TitoBeasley at it again.

I'm sure YOU would reneg on a contract promise in real life, but I think its safe to say the Knicks would never do that.

The ONLY thing I can think of that might change are the terms. Maybe Knicks ask Amare to structure deal a different way depending on what free agent is available to save cap space money.

highwhey
07-06-2010, 12:59 PM
isn't it spelled renege?

Blue&Orange
07-06-2010, 01:44 PM
Half this forum is on antacid pills since Amare became officially a Knick, and the indigestion just doesn't go away.

boozehound
07-06-2010, 01:50 PM
And how many true centers are there really in the NBA? That team would destroy any PF-C combo due to their speed and shooting.

What do fried foods have to do with this. We can speculate on what the team will do, but to say outright that they will fail is a bit immature and childish. It seems to me that the comment stems from hate rather than smart judgment.
you do realize that they cant sub out on defense right? that team would be terrible.

boozehound
07-06-2010, 01:52 PM
Gallinari isn't that bad on defense. You can say he improved 100% since last year. He has the will to improve, so there's hope there. Also, Chandler is a good defender, and T.Douglas is basically our best defender. He'd be a great defender on any team.

Lee and Amare are the weak link.
yes, the back line, the protectors of the basket are two of the worst defenders at their position in the league. great team

SCREWstonRockets
07-06-2010, 01:52 PM
Don't waste all the cap money this year. Sign Amare, save space for next FA session and hope to get another max player like Melo. Ask fans to be patient for another year before all the goods start happening. Don't panic just to sign players because It will hurt in the long run.

B-Low
07-06-2010, 01:58 PM

Funny how you just made a judgement in the first sentence of your post saying that it would be a good regular season team. But when someone says it would be a bad team then they're stupid because they can't predict the future?

boozehound
07-06-2010, 02:15 PM
Don't waste all the cap money this year. Sign Amare, save space for next FA session and hope to get another max player like Melo. Ask fans to be patient for another year before all the goods start happening. Don't panic just to sign players because It will hurt in the long run.
they have to field at least 13 players and meet the salary minimum (41 mil or something) by the end of the year. So, they will have to use at least some of the capspace. I do agree that holding on to enough (maybe 8 mil or so) to help leverage trades or to combine with curry's expirer in the offseason (if they cant move him) is not a bad idea. But they are going to have to spend most of their capspace just to field a team.

pete's montreux
07-06-2010, 02:16 PM
wow booze, couldn't stay away for more than 24 hours :roll:

boozehound
07-06-2010, 02:19 PM
had to vent about knicks fans thinking they have room next year for another max. and then I was sucked in. I promise you I will be much less active on this forum than before. Any recommendations for another site to talk bball? Gotta fill my fix somehow.

ReturnofJPR
07-06-2010, 02:21 PM
No, not at all.

New York City is too desperate. They've been a laughing stock for the better part of a decade.

They will overspend for a one dimensional and injury prone player. They have to do something, so they mine as well do this.

pete's montreux
07-06-2010, 02:26 PM
had to vent about knicks fans thinking they have room next year for another max. and then I was sucked in. I promise you I will be much less active on this forum than before. Any recommendations for another site to talk bball? Gotta fill my fix somehow.

realgm

SCREWstonRockets
07-06-2010, 02:34 PM
they have to field at least 13 players and meet the salary minimum (41 mil or something) by the end of the year. So, they will have to use at least some of the capspace. I do agree that holding on to enough (maybe 8 mil or so) to help leverage trades or to combine with curry's expirer in the offseason (if they cant move him) is not a bad idea. But they are going to have to spend most of their capspace just to field a team.

Fill up most of the roster with one year rentals. Maybe that could work.

Akrazotile
04-10-2015, 01:56 AM
So if Lebron doesn't sign they should reneg the contract of the best player the Knicks have had in the past 5 years. :oldlol:

Yeah, they prbably should have :confusedshrug:

AkronAngel
04-10-2015, 02:28 AM
It is almost like the Knicks have just made no progress in 5 years since this thread.