PDA

View Full Version : Rajon Rondo working with Mark Price.

TruthKGRay3412
09-30-2009, 06:21 AM
Link (Celticsblog.com)

Former Providence coach Tim Welsh said on CSN that Rondo went to Atlanta and worked with Mark Price on his shooting all summer. Welsh said before Rondo was a bad shooter and now he is an average shooter. Apparently Rondo has corrected the flaw in his shooting form.

Welsh said Rondo worked out every day all summer with Price and that he's keeping his elbow in now. Welsh expects him to take many jumpers in preseason to get his confidence down.

This kids work ethic is through the roof,he might not be an above average shooter next year but give him a few years to have a very nice solid jump shot.

pete's montreux
09-30-2009, 06:25 AM
I saw the thread on the side of the front page and said to myself, "Please be Mark Price, please be Mark Price!"

I was really hoping it wasn't Mark Madsen. :oldlol:

franchise#3
09-30-2009, 06:52 AM
Good for Rondo

JG000
09-30-2009, 07:00 AM
Rondo with a jumpshot = Scary

Lebron23
09-30-2009, 07:01 AM
Mark Price is a good shooting coach.

I love to see Rondo shoot more than 80% from the Free Throw line.

Meticode
09-30-2009, 07:29 AM
Former Providence coach Tim Welsh said on CSN that Rondo went to Atlanta and worked with Mark Price on his shooting all summer. Welsh said before Rondo was a bad shooter and now he is an average shooter. Apparently Rondo has corrected the flaw in his shooting form.

Welsh said Rondo worked out every day all summer with Price and that he's keeping his elbow in now. Welsh expects him to take many jumpers in preseason to get his confidence down.

Doesn't sound right. Should have said up.

Shepseskaf
09-30-2009, 07:31 AM
Rondo with a jumpshot = Scary
Rondo with a jumpshot = A potential triple-dub every night.

Ainge is going to be sorry one day that he ever antagonized this kid.

Mikaiel
09-30-2009, 08:02 AM
Larry Hughes worked with Mark Price .......................................

Toizumi
09-30-2009, 08:35 AM
Larry Hughes worked with Mark Price .......................................

Didnt know that. Larry's shot itself was good though, he was/is just a bad decision maker. He put up difficult/bad shots and let his whole offensive game depend on his jumper and never really picked his spots.

A lot can be said about Rondo's offensive game and jumper, but he averaged over .500 during the season (really dipped during the playoffs) and showed that eventhough he has a bad shot he finds ways to still be effective on offense. He doesnt make bad decisions on his shots, and I hope that when he gains more confidence in his jumper this wont change.

Also, Rondo's shot was always liablility, because it gave defenders the chance to sag off him a bit. When he starts knocking down open shots more frequently, it will open up the defense for his whole team.

Mark Price seems to be often overlooked btw. Great PG :applause:

JG000
09-30-2009, 08:48 AM
Is Price still the shooting coach for the Hawks?

beasted86
09-30-2009, 08:52 AM
Didnt know that. Larry's shot itself was good though, he was/is just a bad decision maker. He put up difficult/bad shots and let his whole offensive game depend on his jumper and never really picked his spots.

His shot itself was pretty poor too. :ohwell:

I don't know if Hughes has the work ethic or steady improvement/development Rondo has shown though. So may just be two very different cases.

josh99
09-30-2009, 09:30 AM

How does that work??

JohnnySic
09-30-2009, 09:46 AM
Go Rondo! This can only help...

JG000
09-30-2009, 10:04 AM
How does that work??

I'm not the one who posted that comment but it works out pretty well. If Rondo is a legitimate outside threat, his scoring will increase 7-8 ppg. And it will open up the passing lanes. Plus, he's always been a good rebounder.

He won't average a triple double, but he'll be accumlating them.

TruthKGRay3412
09-30-2009, 10:50 AM
Rondo with a consistent jump shot is a potential HOF PG..that's how far i'm willing to take it.

mlh1981
09-30-2009, 10:54 AM
Good for him, and maybe this all works out for Rondo, but this is usually the time of year where we get these kind of stories. "So-and-so worked with so-and so this offseason." Or you have the "player x gained/lost weight, changed his diet, etc"

Maybe he shows the kind of improvement that Tony Parker did. Parker couldn't hit the broadside of a barn his first few years in the league, but got better by year 4. Same year Rondo is going into.

Mr_Basketball#1
09-30-2009, 11:11 AM
He has the best shooter in the world on his team, I wonder why he just didn't workout with Ray.

west
09-30-2009, 11:12 AM
Props to Rondo.:applause:

ProfessorMurder
09-30-2009, 11:27 AM
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q225/kennerguy66/Hallelujah_gen.jpg

2010 champs!

phoenix18
09-30-2009, 11:59 AM
Thank god. I watched so much of him that I started to shoot like him. It was terrible.

DuMa
09-30-2009, 12:12 PM
Mark wont help him that much. Rondo is not going to become a great shooter by the time his career is done. Rondo just does too many things well on the basketball court to worry about his shot sometimes. the offense is not set up the way so that Rondo can shoot jumpers. So he will not have the mentality to shoot the way Mark will want him to.

dr8ked
09-30-2009, 12:40 PM
If he develops one like Tony parker, he will beast and a monster. :lol He'll demand double coverages opening up other shooters in the team. :applause: :applause: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: ray allen,paul pierce,Garnett,Rasheed, will be beasting

Big One
09-30-2009, 01:48 PM
He has the best shooter in the world on his team, I wonder why he just didn't workout with Ray.

read my mind,

unless allen is not willing to help rondo, i can't see why he wouldn't want to work out with him.

RajonKGcelts
09-30-2009, 01:49 PM
Maybe he'll make the all-star game this year!

All Net
09-30-2009, 01:55 PM
Good for Rondo wanting to improve. Can't hurt working with Price wether it will make much of a difference time will tell.

LA_Showtime
09-30-2009, 02:00 PM

1+ 1 = 10?

beasted86
09-30-2009, 02:02 PM
Good for him, and maybe this all works out for Rondo, but this is usually the time of year where we get these kind of stories. "So-and-so worked with so-and so this offseason." Or you have the "player x gained/lost weight, changed his diet, etc"

Maybe he shows the kind of improvement that Tony Parker did. Parker couldn't hit the broadside of a barn his first few years in the league, but got better by year 4. Same year Rondo is going into.
His jumper was still better, and he had more confidence. He wouldn't use it as a weapon under defense, but if he was left by himself wide open, he wasn't nearly as hesitant.

Rondo's main problem is confidence, even on the night's where he's hit a couple... way too passive and afraid to use it. Maybe this will be the extra boost he needs to get over the hump.

SCdac
09-30-2009, 02:06 PM
Mark wont help him that much. Rondo is not going to become a great shooter by the time his career is done. Rondo just does too many things well on the basketball court to worry about his shot sometimes. the offense is not set up the way so that Rondo can shoot jumpers. So he will not have the mentality to shoot the way Mark will want him to.

I don't think it's as much mental as it physical. Rondo's hands are friggin huge. Better suited for throwing down dunks and grabbing boards. I'm sure it factors into his shot, or lack thereof. If he develops a consistent shot though, he's going to be solid. Definitely similarities to Parker's route, with Chip England.

http://multimedia.heraldinteractive.com/images/a510016164_rajon_0517.jpg

ihatetimthomas
09-30-2009, 02:09 PM
Thats great for him. But its terrible for the other teams who have to face him. Rondo with a solid, consistent jumper is scary. He can do so much already. Give the kid credit for improving his game and wanting to become better. Thats the least you ask for from your young players.

Also, he is kind of playing for a contract. This year could be huge for the amount he recieves

jbot
09-30-2009, 03:08 PM
rondo w/ a consistent jumper would be dangerous.

Shepseskaf
09-30-2009, 03:17 PM
1+ 1 = 10?
:confusedshrug:

Real Men Wear Green
09-30-2009, 03:58 PM
Even if he's still a subpar shooter, it couldn't have hurt. I hope the article's accurate, we'll certainly know in about a month.

phoenix18
09-30-2009, 04:20 PM
I was wondering, can anyone work on their shot at Mark Price's gym? If so, I would be up there every week.

MMM
09-30-2009, 04:42 PM
His jump shot looked a lot better last year in January over how terrible he was shooting in the first third of the season (Oct/Nov/Dec). If I remember correctly that was the time he started working out with KG. However, his jump shot at that time was shaky, fragile and remained inconsistent, so by the time the playoffs started he lost the gains he was making.

Last Season he improved as an offensive option; although he had similar numbers the season prior he was better in half court sets. Even in transition he was a better finisher then the year before. I can remember him being terrible around the basket; missing lay ups or getting blocked numerous times.

If his shooting can improve in a similar fashion Rondo might be able to reach his potential a whole lot faster then many of us expected. Last season with minimal work on his jumper he was able to show improvement. As I said before it wasn't lasting but with hard work over the summer I think we can expect him to see significant improvement, consistency and more range, hopefully that is the case.

The Poet
09-30-2009, 04:43 PM
Is he still being out performed by Doc's son?