PDA

View Full Version : Kobe Expected To Sign 3 Year Extension Worth $85 Million

Interminator
07-01-2009, 09:09 AM
Bryant had until the end of Tuesday to inform the Lakers he was terminating the final two years of his contract and becoming an unrestricted free agent, but the team hadn't received any notification as of late Tuesday night from the NBA Finals MVP.

Instead, Bryant is expected to sign a three-year extension worth an estimated $85 million on top of his existing two-year contract later this month, according to the Los Angeles Times. Bryant's agent, Rob Pelinka, did not return a voice message seeking confirmation.

http://blogs.pe.com/prosports/2009/06/kobes-still-a-laker.html

Makes Kobe the highest paid player in the NBA, and allows him to earn over $30 Million in salary in 1 year in the contract.

All the talk that Kobe was not completely selfish, and cared more about himself than the team has gone out the window, No it wouldnt be the smartest move to turn down $85 Million, but it at least shows a testament to your character if you leave even $10 Million on the table like Gilbert did.

CantStop
07-01-2009, 09:31 AM

Makes Kobe the highest paid player in the NBA, and allows him to earn over $30 Million in salary in 1 year in the contract.

All the talk that Kobe was not completely selfish, and cared more about himself than the team has gone out the window, No it wouldnt be the smartest move to turn down $85 Million, but it at least shows a testament to your character if you leave even $10 Million on the table like Gilbert did.

If it's offered, you take it. Dipsh!t. Why should Kobe play the banker role? He did his part by winning the ship. Pay the man.

Interminator
07-01-2009, 09:33 AM
If it's offered, you take it. Dipsh!t. Why should Kobe play the banker role? He did his part by winning the ship. Pay the man.
You're right.

Dedicating $30 Million in a season is the best move for rewarding Kobe Bryant for winning his 4th Championship, just completely ignore the fact his salary will make up 1/2 of the Laker's salary cap while his skills & physical ability begins to decline.

poido123
07-01-2009, 09:36 AM

You again, have you ever posted something other than pro-Kobe? Oh, don't worry, Kobe will get payed while idiots like you prop him up to believe he's worth that much...3 years 85 million in these economic times? At least take a pay cut for your teammates to show that you aren't 100% greedy, this goes for other players in the NBA too, not just Kobe...

bagelred
07-01-2009, 09:39 AM
It's the best thing for Kobe and his family. He's got a family. Family is important. He's just trying to provide for his family. Family.

Jordandunk23
07-01-2009, 09:42 AM
even though it would obviously be a bad move because by that time, kobe will probably have declined a little bit, and how are you suppose to build a team around kobe if you only have to much money, you better count on spectacular rookies... you can't blame kobe, not in this case. you get offered 30 mil for a season, nobody is turning that down... you gotta also think about this way, at that age, kobe has accomplished atleast 4 rings and all individual accomplishments you could possibly get... time to get as much money as you can for retirement.. granted the average man does not retire with 30 mil.

poido123
07-01-2009, 09:42 AM
Wow that works out to be about 28 mill a year, just absurd...Did I mention this guy is on the backend of his career? :mad:

poido123
07-01-2009, 09:45 AM
even though it would obviously be a bad move because by that time, kobe will probably have declined a little bit, and how are you suppose to build a team around kobe if you only have to much money, you better count on spectacular rookies... you can't blame kobe, not in this case. you get offered 30 mil for a season, nobody is turning that down... you gotta also think about this way, at that age, kobe has accomplished atleast 4 rings and all individual accomplishments you could possibly get... time to get as much money as you can for retirement.. granted the average man does not retire with 30 mil.

No-one should be taking this kind of money during these economic times, my hate bar just rose to the highest point you could imagine! :hammerhead:

quasimoto
07-01-2009, 09:48 AM
No-one should be taking this kind of money during these economic times, my hate bar just rose to the highest point you could imagine! :hammerhead:
I'm sure you would say they could keep their money.

LJJ
07-01-2009, 09:50 AM
His salary in 2010-2011 : $24,806,250

The max he can get is a 10.5% raise. So the max contract he could get is :

2011-2012 : $27.410,906
2012-2013 : $30.289,051
2013-2014 : $33.167,196

Total : $90,867,153

So that means he would leave $6 million on the table, for three years. So $2 million a year.

Gilbert : $10 million for 6 years. So $1.67 million a year.

Really? Isn't there a max of some kind?

AJ2k8
07-01-2009, 09:51 AM
meh, im sure lebron will get a bigger contract from NY:banana:

poido123
07-01-2009, 09:55 AM
I'm sure you would say they could keep their money.

Listen athletes have choices, this bulls**t that the management takes care of business is a copout for a players rep, if Kobe wanted to he could opt out and resign a smaller deal that would ensure other teammates are kept for next year and offer an unselfish gesture which I don't remember the last time Kobe did one, other than mandatory "NBA Cares" assignments...This isnt just Kobe, but since he now IS the most highly paid, the finger is pointed at him...85 mill for a declining player who takes up nearly half of the salary cap? There is something wrong with that...:no:

Jordandunk23
07-01-2009, 09:55 AM

somebody offers me 30 mil im taking it... :confusedshrug: ... you could make that same argument..in these times, you get the most money you can...

poido123
07-01-2009, 09:57 AM
Within the parameters of being a player who has already made millions through salary and endorsements plus future salary and endorsements Quasimoto, NO! I would feel terrible for taking that sort of money, not to mention the economic times...

LJJ
07-01-2009, 10:00 AM
Listen athletes have choices, this bulls**t that the management takes care of business is a copout for a players rep, if Kobe wanted to he could opt out and resign a smaller deal that would ensure other teammates are kept for next year and offer an unselfish gesture which I don't remember the last time Kobe did one, other than mandatory "NBA Cares" assignments...This isnt just Kobe, but since he now IS the most highly paid, the finger is pointed at him...85 mill for a declining player who takes up nearly half of the salary cap? There is something wrong with that...:no:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. If the Lakers are willing to pay Bryant that amount, it's not wrong at all for him to accept. The Lakers are probably earning more money than that because of him anyways.

It would be a problem though if he starts to whine about his teammates again when he doesn't win a championship next season. Then it would be like: "No shyt, there is only 30 million left to fill the team, which is completely on you".

But we'll simply have to wait and see for that. If he is willing to take that salary and bear the consequences it's not a bad thing.

poido123
07-01-2009, 10:00 AM
somebody offers me 30 mil im taking it... :confusedshrug: ... you could make that same argument..in these times, you get the most money you can...

Refer to post below yours...It's his position moneywise, he has more money than what he could poke a stick at, maybe he could pass this money to his 8th generation of Bryant's perhaps? this isnt just Kobe let me stress that, Im sure Lebron will milk it too :confusedshrug:

poido123
07-01-2009, 10:03 AM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. If the Lakers are willing to pay Bryant that amount, it's not wrong at all for him to accept. The Lakers are probably earning more money than that because of him anyways.

It would be a problem though if he starts to whine about his teammates again when he doesn't win a championship next season. Then it would be like: "No shyt, there is only 30 million left to fill the team, which is completely on you".

But we'll simply have to wait and see for that. If he is willing to take that salary and bear the consequences it's not a bad thing.

I understand that point of view, but I'm more referring to an individual players responsibility and general humility...

Manute for Ever!
07-01-2009, 10:03 AM

And when they lose, you will be the one complaining that Kobe has no help, that the front office didn't put players around him. I will rebutt that comment in advance; They couldn't afford to due to what they were paying Kobe.
The offer may be there, but he doesn't need that much to continue living his cushy lifestyle. You play to win and the love of the game, the fame and money is a bonus, not the focus.

poido123
07-01-2009, 10:09 AM
I know there's some seriously poor neighbourhoods and homeless people that could only dream of a smidgin of that money, granted many of them would blow it on booze and cardboard boxes, but money like this would be able to provide better halfway shelters and more money to the minimum wage of Americans, tell me they think Kobe should get a pay day like this :confusedshrug:

Mikaiel
07-01-2009, 10:18 AM
Really? Isn't there a max of some kind?

Yeah, but the max is based on the previous salary. And I got those numbers wrong ...

The max you can get in your 1st year is 105% of your previous salary, or 35% of the cap in Kobe's case because he's 10+ year veteran, whichever is greater.

Kobe will earn $24,806,250 in 2011. So the max he can get in 2012 is 105% of that, so $26,046,563.

Then he can get a 10.5% raise on that salary. So an additional $2.734,889 per year.

So :

2012 : $26,046,563
2013 : $28,781,452
2014 : $31,516,341

Total : $86,344,356

Well, it seems like he's getting the max. Sorry about the wrong maths earlier :hammerhead:

poido123
07-01-2009, 10:20 AM
Yeah, but the max is based on the previous salary. And I got those numbers wrong ...

The max you can get in your 1st year is 105% of your previous salary, or 35% of the cap in Kobe's case because he's 10+ year veteran, whichever is greater.

Kobe will earn $24,806,250 in 2011. So the max he can get in 2012 is 105% of that, so $26,046,563.

Then he can get a 10.5% raise on that salary. So an additional $2.734,889 per year.

So :

Well, it seems like he's getting the max. Sorry about the wrong maths earlier :hammerhead:

In other words a f**k load of money...

Jordandunk23
07-01-2009, 10:42 AM
Refer to post below yours...It's his position moneywise, he has more money than what he could poke a stick at, maybe he could pass this money to his 8th generation of Bryant's perhaps? this isnt just Kobe let me stress that, Im sure Lebron will milk it too :confusedshrug:

its hard to say unless your actually in that position... this isn't an attack on you but i really doubt you would feed bad taking that much money..

Meticode
07-01-2009, 10:47 AM
That's a shitload of money for one player. :lol

HaNdLe ThE RoCk
07-01-2009, 10:49 AM
That's sick.

That is a lot of damn money

poido123
07-01-2009, 10:54 AM
its hard to say unless your actually in that position... this isn't an attack on you but i really doubt you would feed bad taking that much money..

As much as I idolise Jordan, he took his big bag in his career too, perhaps not to this extent...To answer your statement, if I was at the back end of my career, I have maybe 200+ million in salary and endorsements to this date, my mind would be thinking more about having my teammates around for the end of my career as opposed to squeezing the orange for the last drop...And I certainly would feel a little uneasy taking that sort of money when I have people around me who are struggling to make a living, while sitting on a BIG pile of money...

Phong
07-01-2009, 10:54 AM
I know there's some seriously poor neighbourhoods and homeless people that could only dream of a smidgin of that money, granted many of them would blow it on booze and cardboard boxes, but money like this would be able to provide better halfway shelters and more money to the minimum wage of Americans, tell me they think Kobe should get a pay day like this :confusedshrug:
Kobe is responsible for the economical crisis, global warming and world hunger.

We have to tell the Lakers organization to stop paying their players and start providing for the American people.

:cheers:

MaxFly
07-01-2009, 10:59 AM

How would Bryant taking less money help the team. I don't follow.

LJJ
07-01-2009, 11:01 AM
How would Bryant taking less money help the team. I don't follow.

You don't know how salary can impact a team?

And here I was thinking you were a decent poster.

poido123
07-01-2009, 11:02 AM

We have to tell the Lakers organization to stop paying their players and start providing for the American people.

:cheers:

A cheap cop out, you know what Im getting at...

Phong
07-01-2009, 11:05 AM
Wanna blame someone for being selfish? Blame those players who are paid 5-7 millions just to sit on the bench.

I'd rather pay 30 millions for a superstar who's gonna perform all season long than pay 6 millions for the likes of Morrison or Vujacic.

Brunch@Five
07-01-2009, 11:09 AM

Lakers are over the cap even with Kobe taking $5 million less per year.

Also, it's easier said than done to actually forfeit several million dollars. I know I wouldn't.

poido123
07-01-2009, 11:10 AM
Wanna blame someone for being selfish? Blame those players who are paid 5-7 millions just to sit on the bench.

I'd rather pay 30 millions for a superstar who's gonna perform all season long than pay 6 millions for the likes of Morrison or Vujacic.

These players that you refer to don't hold the key to other teammates resigning, since they don't take up much of the capspace...They shouldn't have to either since they are the lowest paid...

LJJ
07-01-2009, 11:11 AM

Also, it's easier said than done to actually forfeit several million dollars. I know I wouldn't.

Yes, but aren't a couple of important Lakers up for new contracts this or next season?

The more money they give Bryant, the less they can afford to spend on his teammates.

poido123
07-01-2009, 11:11 AM

Sitting with 200+ mill in your bank with a future salary plus future endorsements? Comon man, its not like your out on the street...

vert48
07-01-2009, 11:16 AM
but it at least shows a testament to your character if you leave even $10 Million on the table like Gilbert did.If Gilbert had any character, he would be giving his money back. He has played in 15 regular season games the last 2 years. That works out to $1,763,360 per game played!

Juges8932
07-01-2009, 11:17 AM
Within the parameters of being a player who has already made millions through salary and endorsements plus future salary and endorsements Quasimoto, NO! I would feel terrible for taking that sort of money, not to mention the economic times...

Dude, you have no idea what being in that situation is like. Don't pass judgement on something you know nothing of. Sure, it's easy to sit behind your little computer and talk all this **** about how you wouldn't take it, yada yada yada-****ing-yada, but until you are the one being offered 30 Mil, stfu. This holier than thou attitude is so ****ing annoying.

poido123
07-01-2009, 11:17 AM
If Gilbert had any character, he would be giving his money back. He has played in 15 regular season games the last 2 years. That works out to $1,763,360 per game played!

Good point, however we would need another thread for that subject too...

momo
07-01-2009, 11:18 AM

And feeding Latrell Sprewell's Family. Family

MaxFly
07-01-2009, 11:18 AM

I know exactly how salary can impact a team. The question again is how would Bryant taking less money help the team. Given the way the Laker's contracts are structured for the next few years and Jerry Buss's immense wealth, I don't see them struggling to re-sign any of the players that helped them win a championship this year. Really, Bryant taking less money would simply help Jerry Buss who would then have to pay less in luxury taxes on current players he wished to sign. In essence, what would happen is a transfer of money from a rich player to a much, much, much richer owner. Let's also not forget that the player is bringing in much more money for the owner than he's being paid.

So let me ask the question in a simpler, dumbed down way so that you can understand. Why are we assuming that the Lakers are going to have trouble signing players if Bryant doesn't take less money given the facts surrounding the Lakers right now?

poido123
07-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Dude, you have no idea what being in that situation is like. Don't pass judgement on something you know nothing of. Sure, it's easy to sit behind your little computer and talk all this **** about how you wouldn't take it, yada yada yada-****ing-yada, but until you are the one being offered 30 Mil, stfu. This holier than thou attitude is so ****ing annoying.

Pretty easy to see he's got Scrooge written all over him...I'm not like that, I'm always willing to help people less fortunate, you should try it sometime...:pimp:

gts
07-01-2009, 11:23 AM
Yes, but aren't a couple of important Lakers up for new contracts this or next season?

The more money they give Bryant, the less they can afford to spend on his teammates.that's not true. the lakers will spend the money if they think the player is worth it. they always have given players the money.

the lakers will look at lamar and trevor, base their offers on the value they bring to the team on and off the court and go from there. fact is buss makes a pile of money, alot more than he pays kobe and kobe is a major reason the lakers do bring in so much money. it's not just his play it's his persona, his standing in the nba and los angles. buss may pay kobe 22 million a year but kobe brings that back in spades for buss.

lol the lakers are not hurting for money, this is not memphis searching the folds of the couch for loose change, it's the lakers in the second largest market and they are rolling in money, part owner aeg makes billions, they could pay the luxury tax and never know the money was gone.

so please stop acting like this is crippling the lakers, all it's doing is guaranteeing they keep making money hand over fist for the future

Juges8932
07-01-2009, 11:23 AM
Pretty easy to see he's got Scrooge written all over him...I'm not like that, I'm always willing to help people less fortunate, you should try it sometime...:pimp:

Actually, I do, but thanks for basing your judgement on me based on absolutely nothing. I always help people, even homeless people that don't deserve it. It's being a scrooge to accept money you are being offered? No, that's accepting an offer. Again, it's easy to sit behind your computer and act all chivalrous and **** and say you wouldn't accept it, but when you've got the offer for 30 million dollars, then you can talk. Being in the situation is a lot different. People like to judge on what they don't know.

Jordandunk23
07-01-2009, 11:26 AM
As much as I idolise Jordan, he took his big bag in his career too, perhaps not to this extent...To answer your statement, if I was at the back end of my career, I have maybe 200+ million in salary and endorsements to this date, my mind would be thinking more about having my teammates around for the end of my career as opposed to squeezing the orange for the last drop...And I certainly would feel a little uneasy taking that sort of money when I have people around me who are struggling to make a living, while sitting on a BIG pile of money...

well Jordan was a different case, he was getting paid like 1 million per year at those times and i think the 30 mil per year the last couple of seasons were more than well deserved...

again like i understand what you are trying to say. the humanistic side of you wants to look out for the average guy and it's hard times. but you also have to look at it at other people's point of view. poor people is not your crowd. your main concern is your wife and kids and the rest of your family. i know 30 is more than way enough to provide but how many people take paycuts. the average guy sure wouldn't. Other athletes at different sports wouldn't, other celebrities wouldn't upper middle class and upper class workers wouldn't...

poido123
07-01-2009, 11:27 AM
Actually, I do, but thanks for basing your judgement on me based on absolutely nothing. I always help people, even homeless people that don't deserve it. It's being a scrooge to accept money you are being offered? No, that's accepting an offer. Again, it's easy to sit behind your computer and act all chivalrous and **** and say you wouldn't accept it, but when you've got the offer for 30 million dollars, then you can talk. Being in the situation is a lot different. People like to judge on what they don't know.

I'm taking 25 mill this year Buss, I know you offered me 28, but since you have a few of my TEAMMATES to think about, then I'lll settle for that :confusedshrug:

oh the horror
07-01-2009, 11:29 AM

lol YEAH OKAY. :oldlol:

Phong
07-01-2009, 11:32 AM
I'm taking 25 mill this year Buss, I know you offered me 28, but since you have a few of my TEAMMATES to think about, then I'lll settle for that :confusedshrug:
LOL

Jerry Buss: I shouldn't tell you this but I'm probably 20 times richer than you Kobe and I was going to resign Trevor and Lamar anyway. Thanks for the 3 millions. I think I'll spend them to furnish my 6th vacaction home in the Hamptons.

Kobe: Well you could use that money to feed the homeless in L.A. or find homes for the orphans.

Jerry Buss: Kobe, i'm running a business here. I'm not Mother Theresa nor will I do the government's job.

Juges8932

It's not Kobe's job to provide for the team financially. He is a player, just like the others, and one of the best, if not the best, in the league. I would have been really happy to see Kobe take less because I really want both Ariza and Odom back next year, but to pass judgement on him for taking more money isn't fair and it's ignorant, because I can imagine that I'd have a hard time turning that money down. Would I take it? IDK, but it's not so cut and dry.

poido123
that's not true. the lakers will spend the money if they think the player is worth it. they always have given players the money.

the lakers will look at lamar and trevor, base their offers on the value they bring to the team on and off the court and go from there. fact is buss makes a pile of money, alot more than he pays kobe and kobe is a major reason the lakers do bring in so much money. it's not just his play it's his persona, his standing in the nba and los angles. buss may pay kobe 22 million a year but kobe brings that back in spades for buss.

lol the lakers are not hurting for money, this is not memphis searching the folds of the couch for loose change, it's the lakers in the second largest market and they are rolling in money, part owner aeg makes billions, they could pay the luxury tax and never know the money was gone.

so please stop acting like this is crippling the lakers, all it's doing is guaranteeing they keep making money hand over fist for the future

Your a knowledgeable man on everything NBA GTS, but to me it looks like your smoothing over something wrong here, your not the only one...
Listen, I don't need to be incredibly intelligent or be in Kobe's position to tell you what I would do...The thing is, he had options, Kobe chose to take the money route, and now he is getting scrutinised for it, he's not the first and he won't be the last, but it doesn't exempt him from scrutiny just because he was happy to take the money lol :lol

LJJ
07-01-2009, 11:35 AM
I know exactly how salary can impact a team. The question again is how would Bryant taking less money help the team. Given the way the Laker's contracts are structured for the next few years and Jerry Buss's immense wealth, I don't see them struggling to re-sign any of the players that helped them win a championship this year. Really, Bryant taking less money would simply help Jerry Buss who would then have to pay less in luxury taxes on current players he wished to sign. In essence, what would happen is a transfer of money from a rich player to a much, much, much richer owner. Let's also not forget that the player is bringing in much more money for the owner than he's being paid.

So let me ask the question in a simpler, dumbed down way so that you can understand. Why are we assuming that the Lakers are going to have trouble signing players if Bryant doesn't take less money given the facts surrounding the Lakers right now?
You really think the Lakers are going to be willing to spend all that luxury tax if the reward is not that certain? I don't think they will.

At the very least they will grow overconfident to the point where they will think they don't need * * player at that double price.
And the older Bryant becomes, the less likely it is that they are going to spend extra money to fill the team, because that team probably isn't going to win any more championships anyway.

Bryant taking a front loaded contract at this point would enlarge the Lakers' "championship window".

bleedinpurpleTwo
07-01-2009, 11:41 AM
His salary in 2010-2011 : $24,806,250

The max he can get is a 10.5% raise. So the max contract he could get is :

2011-2012 : $27.410,906
2012-2013 : $30.289,051
2013-2014 : $33.167,196

Total : $90,867,153

So that means he would leave $6 million on the table, for three years. So $2 million a year.

Gilbert : $10 million for 6 years. So $1.67 million a year.

Mikael,
thanks for doing the math. for some reason, I thought he could only sign for much less than that.

bleedinpurpleTwo
07-01-2009, 11:44 AM
You really think the Lakers are going to be willing to spend all that luxury tax if the reward is not that certain? I don't think they will.

At the very least they will grow overconfident to the point where they will think they don't need * * player at that double price.
And the older Bryant becomes, the less likely it is that they are going to spend extra money to fill the team, because that team probably isn't going to win any more championships anyway.

Bryant taking a front loaded contract at this point would enlarge the Lakers' "championship window".

what IS certain is that the Lakers WILL make the playoffs (more revenue) AND Kobe is clearly the biggest draw in the entire league and especially in LA.
Kobe puts butts in the seats.... revenue.

it is entirely up to Buss as to how much luxury tax he wants to pay.

poido123
07-01-2009, 11:45 AM
LOL

Jerry Buss: I shouldn't tell you this but I'm probably 20 times richer than you Kobe and I was going to resign Trevor and Lamar anyway. Thanks for the 3 millions. I think I'll spend them to furnish my 6th vacaction home in the Hamptons.

Kobe: Well you could use that money to feed the homeless in L.A. or find homes for the orphans.

Jerry Buss: Kobe, i'm running a business here. I'm not Mother Theresa nor will I do the government's job.?

No matter what I would say you would find something to bail Kobe out...Fustrating thing about ISH...
Jerry Buss's salary has nothing to do with the Laker's team salary cap, and he has no bearing on Ariza and Odom remaining with the Lakers that's up to Kobe and his salary...

Mikaiel
07-01-2009, 11:46 AM
Mikael,
thanks for doing the math. for some reason, I thought he could only sign for much less than that.

Actually, I was wrong. I corrected it, page 2.

The max you can get in the 1st year of your new contract is 105% of your previous salary, or 35% of the cap in Kobe's case because he's a 10+ year veteran, whichever is greater.

So :

phoenix18
07-01-2009, 11:49 AM
I guess Kobe doesnt want anymore rings.

boozehound
07-01-2009, 11:49 AM
meh, im sure lebron will get a bigger contract from NY:banana:
he cant. its not possibly under the current cba salary guidelines.

poido123
07-01-2009, 11:50 AM
I guess Kobe doesnt want anymore rings.

Or teammates :lol

boozehound
07-01-2009, 11:52 AM
what IS certain is that the Lakers WILL make the playoffs (more revenue) AND Kobe is clearly the biggest draw in the entire league and especially in LA.
Kobe puts butts in the seats.... revenue.

it is entirely up to Buss as to how much luxury tax he wants to pay.
sure, but there is going to come a point where he is pretty ****ed. He wont be able to get any top young players, since his $ will all be locked up. Will they just keep extending their players (LO in 5 years?). Kobe will be washed up by the 4th year of this 5 year contract and making so much money that the organization will have no flexibility to surround him with quality players.

boozehound
07-01-2009, 11:53 AM
Actually, I was wrong. I corrected it, page 2.
Thank you for correcting your mistake. I thought you were wrong, but wasnt going to bother to figure it out. I knew kobe wouldnt leave any $ on the table.

steeph28
07-01-2009, 11:53 AM
?

No matter what I would say you would find something to bail Kobe out...Fustrating thing about ISH...
Jerry Buss's salary has nothing to do with the Laker's team salary cap, and he has no bearing on Ariza and Odom remaining with the Lakers that's up to Kobe and his salary...

Correct me if I am wrong, but the Lakers are allowed to go over the salary cap when attempting to resign Lamar and Trevor. The extra money will count towards the luxury tax which is absolutely contingent on how much money Jerry Buss is personally earning.

boozehound
07-01-2009, 11:54 AM
Jordan had the same salary in 97 and 98. Good teams pay the lux to win.
Different CBA rules. It didnt hamstring his team the way this will.

Besides, I knew Michael Jordan, and you (kobe) sir, are no Michael Jordan.

boozehound
07-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but the Lakers are allowed to go over the salary cap when attempting to resign Lamar and Trevor. The extra money will count towards the luxury tax which is absolutely contingent on how much money Jerry Buss is personally earning.
no, its contingent on how much the lakers corporation is making in profit. And, really, even that is mis-using the word. Its contingent on the league.

The point is they will have little flexibility to adjust this team as kobe declines.

poido123
07-01-2009, 12:04 PM

Why don't they both take a pay cut, same amount each? :confusedshrug:

Jordandunk23
07-01-2009, 12:07 PM

its not kobe's job to finance the team. the team pays him to play...

steeph28
07-01-2009, 12:08 PM
no, its contingent on how much the lakers corporation is making in profit. And, really, even that is mis-using the word. Its contingent on the league.

The point is they will have little flexibility to adjust this team as kobe declines.

Well Jerry is the owner of the Lakers, so yes it is his money that will be paying the luxury tax...how does the league apply to this?

In either case I don't understand how the word "contingent" was being misused.

amfirst
07-01-2009, 12:10 PM
It never says Kobe is getting that much, it's just a calculated posibilty to get that much. These people. :lol

steeph28
07-01-2009, 12:10 PM

Maybe in a fantasy world... I've always wondered "what-if" athletes took pay cuts for the betterment of their teams but professional sports is a business and like any business it is driven by money.

NBASTATMAN
07-01-2009, 12:18 PM
It's the best thing for Kobe and his family. He's got a family. Family is important. He's just trying to provide for his family. Family.

Yea what would he do with only 20 million a year.. Like Spreewell ,he has to feed his family... Give him his 85million... LOL...

poido123
07-01-2009, 12:18 PM
Maybe in a fantasy world... I've always wondered "what-if" athletes took pay cuts for the betterment of their teams but professional sports is a business and like any business it is driven by money.

Discussion together at the table just Buss and kobe? Then make up a BS story how Kobe feels his genorosity to the club that has been there for him is the least he could do? You can make things happen if you want it to, this could of been done differently, no fantasy...

NBASTATMAN
07-01-2009, 12:19 PM
If Kobe doesn't win another title for the rest of his career, LA would still feel comfortable giving him this contract.

Personally, I think LA should let Ariza go and retain Odom. Fill in the SF with the MLE.

Kobe isn't worth this amount of money but then again no bball player is... If a player is going to get rewarded with a big contract , than Kobe would be the guy I give the contract to... You know the guy isn't taking days off. Ala TMAC..

boozehound
07-01-2009, 12:32 PM
Well Jerry is the owner of the Lakers, so yes it is his money that will be paying the luxury tax...how does the league apply to this?

In either case I don't understand how the word "contingent" was being misused.
because the luxury tax isnt contingent on (dependent on/conditioned by) anything buss does. Its a league based cap. Now, whether the lakers are willing to pay the luxury tax may be contingent on the profit margin of the corporation (as reflected by Buss's earnings). Nitpicky I know, but hey, thats what I am.

ZaaaaaH
07-01-2009, 12:33 PM
Ya need to get off Kobes nuts about him taking 30mil. 30 mils a lot of money why would you not take it but if I was Kobe I will take the pay cut so I can win another ring so Every Kobe hater can S T F U. Na Im Saying Niqqaz! :lol

poido123
07-01-2009, 12:37 PM
Ya need to get off Kobes nuts about him taking 30mil. 30 mils a lot of money why would you not take it but if I was Kobe I will take the pay cut so I can win another ring so Every Kobe hater can S T F U. Na Im Saying Niqqaz! :lol

:Canethattakesguyoffstageimmediately:

iamgine
07-01-2009, 12:41 PM
"Hey we're offering you $85 million for 3 years"

"What, I don't want it!"

"You want more?!?!?!"

"Na man, I want less. Just $60 million for 3 years will do it."

"Deal."

MaxFly
07-01-2009, 12:44 PM

As business people, it's up to Buss and AEG to take that risk. It's not up to the players to take less money in order to make things more palpable for management. If the Lakers were struggling to put together funds to sign free agents, I'd be in full agreement that Bryant should less money to make it possible for the team to sign players... however, the team isn't in want of money, and they aren't limited by the luxury tax in signing the specific players they are looking at.

Also, it's possible that Bryant takes less money and Buss opts not to sign Ariza or Odom anyway, or does sign them and they don't win a championship. Why should he be willing to take less money and help management save money if the reward is not that certain according to your logic.

The Lakers will be over the salary cap whether he takes more now and less later or not... and they will be for the forseable future... It's up to the Lakers management to spend the necessary money to retain players. Even if Bryant takes less later, the salary cap will prevent them for spending a lot on new players unless they trade big contracts of have a firesale.

MaxFly
07-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Yea what would he do with only 20 million a year.. Like Spreewell ,he has to feed his family... Give him his 85million... LOL...

Probably wants to own a team or engage in some other large scale business venture when he retires...

Kobe isn't worth this amount of money but then again no bball player is... If a player is going to get rewarded with a big contract , than Kobe would be the guy I give the contract to... You know the guy isn't taking days off. Ala TMAC..

I don't know if we can say he's not worth that amount of money to the Lakers. When the Lakers were struggling to make the playoffs from 2004-2007, Bryant single handedly kept the stadium filled. I can't imagine how much money he has made the Lakers organization in terms of advertising, ticket sales, merchandise sales...

LJJ
07-01-2009, 01:05 PM
As business people, it's up to Buss and AEG to take that risk. It's not up to the players to take less money in order to make things more palpable for management. If the Lakers were struggling to put together funds to sign free agents, I'd be in full agreement that Bryant should less money to make it possible for the team to sign players... however, the team isn't in want of money, and they aren't limited by the luxury tax in signing the specific players they are looking at.

Also, it's possible that Bryant takes less money and Buss opts not to sign Ariza or Odom anyway, or does sign them and they don't win a championship. Why should he be willing to take less money and help management save money if the reward is not that certain according to your logic.

The Lakers will be over the salary cap whether he takes more now and less later or not... and they will be for the forseable future... It's up to the Lakers management to spend the necessary money to retain players. Even if Bryant takes less later, the salary cap will prevent them for spending a lot on new players unless they trade big contracts of have a firesale.

I understand that the Lakers aren't going to be a part of the free agent market.

The argument also isn't at all whether it is up to the player or not to make ends meet. It's not. But signing a contract of this, in a league where teams have face certain consequences depending on how much salary they pay, will affect the team.

The incentive to give players big contracts is just lower if it is going to cost a lot of extra money. The incentive to make trades with more salary coming in is also lower. This is a problem for the person paying the bill, but it will still affect Bryant in a tangible way.

Yung D-Will
07-01-2009, 01:46 PM
Seems preety simple to me. I'll give out as much money as I need to too keep the best player in the leauge on my team. Whats the big deal?

Samurai Swoosh
07-01-2009, 01:53 PM
The chip, bro ... the CHIP. This isn't Pirates of the Carribean, there are nbo huge boats to win.

Allstar24
07-01-2009, 01:59 PM
Wow that is a lot of money but he probably deserves it. He did his part by sticking with the Lakers through their ups and downs and getting them back to the top again. If Jerry Buss believes Kobe is worth $85 million, then he IS worth $85 million. The rest of you are in no position to judge what amount of money Kobe should be making...

YAWN
07-01-2009, 02:08 PM
:oldlol: at people hating

boozehound
07-01-2009, 02:23 PM
The chip, bro ... the CHIP. This isn't Pirates of the Carribean, there are nbo huge boats to win.
uh, championship? I dont know why all you ****ers always say chip, since that makes absolutely no sense. this aint poker or a bowl of dip, bro.

LA_Showtime
07-01-2009, 02:23 PM
I don't like it, but I definitely understand why he's doing it. 85 Million is a lot of dollars... I seriously doubt anyone on ISH would turn down an 85 million dollar contract.

If the Lakers decide to give Kobe that 85 million dollar extension, then Ariza and/or Odom is definitely gone. Kobe better not ***** if the Lakers suffer early round defeats in the next couple of seasons.

Samurai Swoosh
07-01-2009, 02:33 PM
uh, championship? I dont know why all you ****ers always say chip, since that makes absolutely no sense. this aint poker or a bowl of dip, bro.
No, thats the point of the abbreviation. The word started as "chip" ... you try to collect "chips" in a competition because they mean something of value or worth. Ship is the last four letters of many words. And it isn't something thats coveted like "chips" are ... scholarSHIP ... LOL

The word is "chips" ...

pete's montreux
07-01-2009, 02:41 PM
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Kobe Bryant chose not to terminate the final two years of his contract and will remain with the Los Angeles Lakers.

Team spokesman John Black on Wednesday confirmed Bryant's decision. The MVP of the NBA finals had until Tuesday to become an unrestricted free agent.

Now the Lakers and Bryant's agent will negotiate a contract extension. If they somehow cannot agree, he would earn $23 million next season and could opt out next June.

However, Bryant has spent his entire 13-year career with the team, winning four NBA championships and on June 19 he said, "I'm not going anywhere. I know I ain't going nowhere, so it's just a waste of our breaths just talking about it."

Bryant has urged the Lakers to bring back unrestricted free agent forwards Trevor Ariza and Lamar Odom, who played key roles in the team's recent run to its 15th NBA title.

Ariza made $3.1 million last season and his play in the finals against Orlando is expected to earn him a major pay raise. Odom made $14.1 million last season and is expected to have to take a substantial pay cut to stay.

Guard Shannon Brown is the Lakers' third unrestricted free agent. He made $796,000 last season after coming over with Adam Morrison in the February trade that sent Vladimir Radmanovic to Charlotte.

T-bomb 25
07-01-2009, 02:42 PM
Even if Kobe doesent except this contract to keep Ariza and Odom which i think his $85 mill will have nothing to do with that,nearly every team in the league is spending on players and over paying people thats not worth it this offseason,he is not wrong for taking the money,even if he doesent take the money,it doesent mean they are going to win a ring,everyone in the league is spending money to get in postion for the prize,not just LA.

LA_Showtime
07-01-2009, 02:42 PM
The contract won't even kick in for a few years.

If Bynum progresses the way we think he will we can trade away a contract like Odom or Ariza.

This doesn't have an effect for 2 years I believe.

Yeah, but it comes down to it, I want Odom over Ariza. If we don't sign Ariza, then we have to play Walton, Sasha (who plays better with more minutes), or Morrison. If we don't sign Lamar Odom, then we have to play DJ MBenga and Josh Powell. For all of the inconsistenty talk, we know Lamar Odom will play hard every game and bring SOMETHING to the table. We can't say that about Ariza.

xtn5021
07-01-2009, 02:45 PM
Greed. He makes a sh!t load of endorsement money. He shouldn't have a problem taking a cut. Instead of raising his salary.

LA_Showtime
07-01-2009, 02:48 PM
Agreed, I'd rather Odom back because he's a leader on the team and is more versatile on the court.

Ariza can be replaced with a guy like Matt Barnes.

It doesn't help to look at our history. For whatever reason, we sign guys to big contracts and they disappear the next season. I'm not saying that'll happen to Trevor Ariza, but I seriously doubt he'll shoot even close to 50% from 3 (playoffs).

DonDadda59
07-01-2009, 02:52 PM
This type of a contract is huge for advancing the rights of superstar players imo. They are the ones who make the money, and Kobe has basically made a bold statement; "feed the goose laying the golden eggs!". This signing is almost reminiscent of the famous Oscar Robertson lawsuit, which also empowered the players.

Kudos Kobe :applause:

With all the social justice initiatives that Kobe is involved in, it's a wonder the government hasn't made his birthday a national holiday. He campaigned to preserve strong nuclear families in the NBA, raise awareness about infidelity and empower women, and now he's fighting for the rights of NBA stars when it comes to fiduciary negotiations- a regular Cesar Chavez.

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/3914/kobeguevara.jpg

Viva La Revolucion! :banana:

Abraham Lincoln
07-01-2009, 02:56 PM
This type of a contract is huge for advancing the rights of superstar players imo. They are the ones who make the money, and Kobe has basically made a bold statement; "feed the goose laying the golden eggs!". This signing is almost reminiscent of the famous Oscar Robertson lawsuit, which also empowered the players.

Kudos Kobe :applause:

I be convinced that Fatal9 is none other than Elie Sechback.

lilgodfather1
07-01-2009, 03:12 PM
I thought Shaq at 37 was overpaid, can you imagine Kobe at 37? OMFG overpaid is what they will be saying. Kobe should push for a 6 year extension to set an NBA record for most overpaid 40 year old ever!

T-bomb 25
07-01-2009, 03:18 PM
I thought Shaq at 37 was overpaid, can you imagine Kobe at 37? OMFG overpaid is what they will be saying. Kobe should push for a 6 year extension to set an NBA record for most overpaid 40 year old ever!:roll:

Phong
07-01-2009, 03:21 PM
Greed. He makes a sh!t load of endorsement money. He shouldn't have a problem taking a cut. Instead of raising his salary.
It's a great world when team owners have absolutely no powers over their teams and the players make their own contracts and raise their salaries whenever they feel like it.

Interminator
07-01-2009, 03:28 PM
Well I knew there was going to be Kober homers running wild in this thread.

The Point Is:
If Kobe were a team player he would've left money on the table to go towards making other moves down the road for LA, they obviously will forever be in the Luxury Tax range but it would go a long way to have a little more money to spend for the MLE and to supplement salary differences in trades. Kobe has made about $200 Million in his career from salaries, endorsements, etc. and he did this before he was even 30 years old. He complained & *****ed about the team not having talent, yet when he finally gets another good team again he looks out for himself first rather than the team. Of course the Lakers will still be competitive in the short term, but in 2 years their entire salary cap will be devoted to 3 players(Kobe, Bynum, Gasol) and in 4 years when Kobe is on the decline he will be a $33 Million Dollar contract anchor for the Lakers and Karma may come to bite him in the ass when the Lakers have to make a choice between their Franchise player Kobe or possibly their younger star Andrew Bynum.

Anyways Kobe could've at least allowed LA to have some flexibility, these idiots posting in this thread dont realize that these contracts cant be renegotiated down the road like in the NFL, whatever Kobe signed for he will get paid in full.

Interminator
07-01-2009, 03:46 PM
Lakers having to make a choice between Kobe and Bynum? What?

The Lakers will always have Bynum, Gasol, and Kobe on the books.

The question is if they would trade away Odom or Ariza with their contracts once Kobe hits this big contract.

By the time Kobe's 30 mill comes into play, Luke and Sasha's horrible contracts will expire. Bynum will likely be a much better player, giving us flexibility with Odom if we keep him.

33+17+12=62. Lakers will keep their role players and stay around 80-90 for the next 5 years.

LMAO @ ANYONE ON THIS FORUM SAYING SO AND SO HAS THIS MUCH MONEY SO THEY SHOULD LEAVE 80 MILLION DOLLARS ON THE TABLE

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Jordan took the 60 mil for the last two seasons despite all the endorsements he has, for god's sake he still makes 40 mill a year
:oldlol:

Nobody said leave 80 ****ing million dollars on the table, but how in the **** is $20 Million a year not enough for him?

Does it matter that much to Kobe to be the highest paid player in the NBA by a wide margin for multiple years?

phoenix18
07-01-2009, 03:47 PM
LMAO @ ANYONE ON THIS FORUM SAYING SO AND SO HAS THIS MUCH MONEY SO THEY SHOULD LEAVE 80 MILLION DOLLARS ON THE TABLE

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Jordan took the 60 mil for the last two seasons despite all the endorsements he has, for god's sake he still makes 40 mill a year
I understand the way you feel. But you are wrong. When Jordan played,America wasnt in a recession, where he played the gov didnt have trouble keeping schools open and whole slate of issues. When Jordan played, league revenues were sky high and the NBA was rolling in the dough. Now, teams are barely hanging on. Thats the difference between Jordan and Kobe's contracts.

gts
07-01-2009, 03:47 PM
Well I knew there was going to be Kober homers running wild in this thread.

The Point Is:
If Kobe were a team player he would've left money on the table to go towards making other moves down the road for LA, they obviously will forever be in the Luxury Tax range but it would go a long way to have a little more money to spend for the MLE and to supplement salary differences in trades. Kobe has made about $200 Million in his career from salaries, endorsements, etc. and he did this before he was even 30 years old. He complained & *****ed about the team not having talent, yet when he finally gets another good team again he looks out for himself first rather than the team. Of course the Lakers will still be competitive in the short term, but in 2 years their entire salary cap will be devoted to 3 players(Kobe, Bynum, Gasol) and in 4 years when Kobe is on the decline he will be a $33 Million Dollar contract anchor for the Lakers and Karma may come to bite him in the ass when the Lakers have to make a choice between their Franchise player Kobe or possibly their younger star Andrew Bynum.

Anyways Kobe could've at least allowed LA to have some flexibility, these idiots posting in this thread dont realize that these contracts cant be renegotiated down the road like in the NFL, whatever Kobe signed for he will get paid in full.what's your point...

kobe could also have opted out and asked for more money... any extention to his current contract they come up with will not take effect for 2 seasons. your point is that kobe should play for less money is just asinine, the lakers have no problem with kobe's contract, that's why they gave it to him 4 years ago,and if they are offering up an extention then that's what they feel is the best business move for them today.

why do you have such a problem with him or any person getting paid what the market decides?

look at the top 5 for next season
1. Tracy McGrady Houston $23,239,561
2. Kobe Bryant LA Lakers $23,034,375
3. Jermaine O'Neal Miami $22,995,000
4. Tim Duncan San Antonio $22,183,218
5. Shaquille O'Neal Cleveland $20,000,000

kobe's salry is right on point with these players and seeing as the lakers just brought in a truckload of money from winning a title i see nothing wrong with kobe's salary... seems more like you and others are just banging on Kobe because you can, not because you actually have a point

Mikaiel
07-01-2009, 03:52 PM
kobe could also have opted out and asked for more money

No.

Interminator
07-01-2009, 03:53 PM
I understand the way you feel. But you are wrong. When Jordan played,America wasnt in a recession, where he played the gov didnt have trouble keeping schools open and whole slate of issues. When Jordan played, league revenues were sky high and the NBA was rolling in the dough. Now, teams are barely hanging on. Thats the difference between Jordan and Kobe's contracts.
People dont even realize how bad its getting in California due to the economy.

But something like 3/$60 Million seems more logical, I never suggested Kobe would actually opt out for $4 Million per year to save money for the team.

But 3/$85 Million:eek:

I dont think D-Rose realizes that the team with the highest payroll is New Orleans at $77 Million, eventually at a certain point teams will be unable to sign Draft picks or offer anything more than the league minimum for a player.
The money doesn't keep piling on to teams' payrolls like in European Soccer or Baseball without salary caps, eventually your moves are hindered by the NBA's salary cap once you reach such a certain amount of money invested into a roster.

gts
07-01-2009, 03:53 PM
No.???

Interminator
07-01-2009, 04:02 PM
what's your point...

kobe could also have opted out and asked for more money... any extention to his current contract they come up with will not take effect for 2 seasons. your point is that kobe should play for less money is just asinine, the lakers have no problem with kobe's contract, that's why they gave it to him 4 years ago,and if they are offering up an extention then that's what they feel is the best business move for them today.
Less money?
I've said before 3/$60 Million is of ideal market value for a star player entering the back end of his prime, But even you have to realize that 3/$85 Million is ****ing ridiculous for any player in any sport.

why do you have such a problem with him or any person getting paid what the market decides?
The going rate for Elite swingmen is $28 Million per season to begin the contract, not end the contract like is the case for 4 of the 10 highest paid players in the NBA.

look at the top 5 for next season
1. Tracy McGrady Houston $23,239,561
2. Kobe Bryant LA Lakers $23,034,375
3. Jermaine O'Neal Miami $22,995,000
4. Tim Duncan San Antonio $22,183,218
5. Shaquille O'Neal Cleveland $20,000,000

kobe's salry is right on point with these players and seeing as the lakers just brought in a truckload of money from winning a title i see nothing wrong with kobe's salary... seems more like you and others are just banging on Kobe because you can, not because you actually have a point
Once again, Kobe new salary puts him head above water amongst every single player listed from the beginning of his contract to the end, including becoming the first player since Jordan to crack the $30 Million Dollar mark per year for his salary.

The Lakers brought in money from winning a title but the money goes to help surplant the moves they make for their team since they are over the salary cap and well into the Luxury Tax range. They have a deeply invested owner but this is money coming out of his own pocket, and hes making a risky investment each year to pay the luxury tax hoping his investment pays off and he'll make a profit due to the success of the team.

Interminator
07-01-2009, 04:05 PM
Come to me when a Jordan, LeBron, Wade take a paycut.

Everyone wants the most money possible. You heard LeBron, wants to be the first NBA player billionaire, you think LeBron won't do this when he's 30 regardless of the team around him? :oldlol:

This is a business first, always.

Kobe has made 127 mill in his career not including last year which makes it 148 mill.

Garnett has made 210 mill for his career not inclding last...making it 235.

If Garnett was still 30 and didn't have this surgery, he'd get a similar raise from Boston.
LeBron wants to become the first Sports billionaire which not only includes his salary but a majority of it comes from his other interests outside of basketball like endorsements, and other ventures hes the owner of.

And how is Kobe taking a massive paycut by signing for on average $20 Million per season after making $23 Million the previous season?:confusedshrug:

steeph28
07-01-2009, 04:07 PM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/teams/salaries?team=nyy

phoenix18
07-01-2009, 04:10 PM
You do realize Garnett made 28 million in 03-04 aka his best year with the Wolves.

Jordan took a 2 year 63 million contract at age 34?

Kobe is different than most guys around the league because he came into the league at freaking 18 years old. He is arguably the biggest star to ever do so and because of this he has already been in the league 13 years and made 148 mill. Now he is only 30 going on 31 and will get a max contract still, this allows him to get a major raise from the Lakers.

Other guys like Garnett or Duncan are older at the same number of seasons that Kobe is the same age so it doesn't make as much sense to give them the same.

Mark my fcking words, LeBron will do the EXACT same thing....it's too obvious, why would you take less money especially when you're in LA with the 2nd richest franchise in basketball that always finds a way to be compeitive. Kobe has sold so many tickets and gear for the Lakers for revenue and he's won 4 titles with them. This isn't the Grizzlies, we aren't fcking broke.
Read my post and that example will become irrelevant.

beasly15
07-01-2009, 04:12 PM
i would take the money... but it does show how greedy he is.

LA_Showtime
07-01-2009, 04:15 PM
Again, if this was any other star people wouldn't be complaining. This is a business, and you want to maximize your potential before it's too late.

BTW, a lot of people don't believe the Lakers will repeat next season. If Kobe takes a paycut and the Lakers re-sign Odom and Ariza it's hardly guaranteed they'll win a championship.

Mikaiel
07-01-2009, 04:17 PM
???

Ah sh!t, I was wrong. :hammerhead:

If Kobe had opted out and then signed a max 5 year deal, he would have gotten an extra $800K, compared to what he would get if he signs that $85 million extension.

I'm not sure this qualifies as "more money" though. $800K is really nothing when you're talking about the kind of money he's getting :pimp:

gts
07-01-2009, 04:18 PM
Less money?
I've said before 3/$60 Million is of ideal market value for a star player entering the back end of his prime, But even you have to realize that 3/$85 Million is ****ing ridiculous for any player in any sport. when did you become the gate keeper of of ideal market value? wouldn't that job be the job of those actually paying him?

3/$60 or 20 million per year would be less than he's curently making...lol what type of fuzzy math are you using? it is and would be a paycut

85 million (if that's correct) is just the rate on his extention that's all it is, it's not a new contract it's an extention on the current one.

Once again, Kobe new salary puts him head above water amongst every single player listed from the beginning of his contract to the end, including becoming the first player since Jordan to crack the $30 Million Dollar mark per year for his salary.

in five years it will but not next season or the year after... once again it is an extention to his current contract, not a new one, this extention does nothing to effect anything that was not already in place, he'll get the same amount the lakers were planning on paying him 4 years ago when they offered it up.

The Lakers brought in money from winning a title but the money goes to help surplant the moves they make for their team since they are over the salary cap and well into the Luxury Tax range. They have a deeply invested owner but this is money coming out of his own pocket, and hes making a risky investment each year to pay the luxury tax hoping his investment pays off and he'll make a profit due to the success of the team.
WHO CARES?

if Buss has no problem paying it why do you? I don't hear Jerry Buss whining about it, I don't hear Philip Anschutz wondering where an extra few million is going to come from...lol once again it seems the only people who have a problem with it are people that don't matter. the main players are business men worth billons of dollars how the fu*k they run their business is up to them and if they had a problem they wouldn't be offering up extentions

gts
07-01-2009, 04:22 PM
Ah sh!t, I was wrong. :hammerhead:

If Kobe had opted out and then signed a max 5 year deal, he would have gotten an extra $800K, compared to what he would get if he signs that $85 million extension.

I'm not sure this qualifies as "more money" though. $800K is really nothing when you're talking about the kind of money he's getting :pimp:lol that's better..

(btw are you going by 105% of this years numbers?)

i was reading last night on twitter lazenby said that larry coon salary cap guru told him this would save buss money over the next few years. i'm looking for more, i'd like to see coon's breakdown of it all

edit:found it

i'll save everone the boring parts but here's the gist.. here are the numbers on kobe's 3 options, the options being 5 years worth of cotracts

Option 1: Become a free agent in 2009: $135,070,031

Option 2: Become a free agent in 2010: $135,015,989

Option 3: Sign an extension with the Laker $134,184,978

http://www.realgm.com/src_feature_pieces/791/20090618/the_official_kobe_bryant_free_agency_primer/

lefthook00
07-01-2009, 04:22 PM
Crybabies.

john_d
07-01-2009, 04:24 PM
i find it funny that people actually think the 3 yr extension actually starts next year.. hahahahha way to go ish

MaxFly
07-01-2009, 04:25 PM
The argument also isn't at all whether it is up to the player or not to make ends meet. It's not. But signing a contract of this, in a league where teams have face certain consequences depending on how much salary they pay, will affect the team.

It will only affect the team if the owners are incapable of paying the money necessary to retain or sign other players. The contract that Bryant will likely recieve won't financially hinder AEG and Buss from signing Odom and Ariza. The money is available. The net effect with Bryant taking less would be that Buss would be saving money.

The incentive to give players big contracts is just lower if it is going to cost a lot of extra money. The incentive to make trades with more salary coming in is also lower. This is a problem for the person paying the bill, but it will still affect Bryant in a tangible way.

I agree that the incentive will be lower, but it shouldn't stop them from signing players who they think will help them win a championship. It's a calculated business risk. Moreover, if there is a good deal of concern about how much it would cost to sign others, management should have taken that into account when they offered Bryant the contract initially. Basically, what we're asking of Bryant is that he take less money so that Jerry Buss can save more and then feel better about signing players that can help him win a championship while saving money.

phoenix18
07-01-2009, 04:26 PM
Yes, it's Kobe's responsibility to take care of the economy?

Blame the Yankees kid.

The Lakers will pay Kobe not the US Government.
:roll: Look man, I am just telling you that a contract like this when you have two key players who are free agents, is just stupid and selfish. How is this going to affect their future? If Kobe cant take a paycut, why would any one else on the team take one? This is exactly why people dont like Kobe. He is not genuine. All this time he talking about being all about the team.

lefthook00
07-01-2009, 04:26 PM
You do realize Garnett made 28 million in 03-04 aka his best year with the Wolves.

Jordan took a 2 year 63 million contract at age 34?

Kobe is different than most guys around the league because he came into the league at freaking 18 years old. He is arguably the biggest star to ever do so and because of this he has already been in the league 13 years and made 148 mill. Now he is only 30 going on 31 and will get a max contract still, this allows him to get a major raise from the Lakers.

Other guys like Garnett or Duncan are older at the same number of seasons that Kobe is the same age so it doesn't make as much sense to give them the same.

Mark my fcking words, LeBron will do the EXACT same thing....it's too obvious, why would you take less money especially when you're in LA with the 2nd richest franchise in basketball that always finds a way to be compeitive. Kobe has sold so many tickets and gear for the Lakers for revenue and he's won 4 titles with them. This isn't the Grizzlies, we aren't fcking broke.

Who's the wealthiest franchise? I always thought the Lakers were...

phoenix18
07-01-2009, 04:32 PM
Are you stupid?

This contract wouldn't kick in for 2 more years...

Luke Walton, Adam Morrison, Sasha Vujacic (garbage contracts) will all be off the books by then. The Lakers could also trade Odom/Ariza if they REALLY needed to...but they won't...

They are still going to be in the 80-90 mill range when this contract kicks in.

If Buss couldn't pay for it, he wouldn't sign the contract...obviously we can afford this.
Are you stupid? Are the Lakers going to resign Pau Gasol? If so, they will have three huge contracts with no one else on the team. That doesnt make sense.

Mikaiel
07-01-2009, 04:34 PM
(btw are you going by 105% of this years numbers?)

105% of last year's numbers. The opt-out clause was for this year, right ?

john_d
07-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Are you stupid? Are the Lakers going to resign Pau Gasol? If so, they will have three huge contracts with no one else on the team. That doesnt make sense.
the salary cap could also change by the time the extension kick in.

all we really know on this extension is that kobe is sign and sealed as a laker for the next 5 years.

his salary increase is not the issue. the 85$m is only an estimate...

john_d
07-01-2009, 04:37 PM
105% of last year's numbers. The opt-out clause was for this year, right ?
this year and next year.

i thnk he save the lakers money by resigning now rather than opting out next year

gts
07-01-2009, 04:41 PM
105% of last year's numbers. The opt-out clause was for this year, right ?yeah... he had an eto this summer and he had a player option next summer

john_d
07-01-2009, 04:53 PM
can we trade bynum and his lousy contract... damn that's depressing

Killbot
07-01-2009, 04:53 PM
:eek: I don't think Los Angeles Lakers really need to pay Kobe that much money, but I'm not the guy holding all the money.

phoenix18
07-01-2009, 05:04 PM
You're such a retard :roll:

Suppose this is what happens in 2011/2012

28 mill kobe
15 mill bynum
~14 mill gasol (new contract)
8 mill odom
6 mill ariza
5 mill luke

(expired by then)
sasha (5 mill)
morrison (6 mill)

That's a total of 76 million.

The Lakers would have about 14 million dollars to fill in the gaps to get to the 90 mill threshold which teams like NY and Dallas have been recently. LA will likely be there this season as well.

Minimum contracts

Mbenga/Elonu
Powell
Shannon Brown/draft young PG

Fish could go for vets minimum if he still wants to play

The contracts work. Our owner and franchise will make it happen.

Only hole I see is that we wouldn't be able to retain Farmar when he expires in the summer of 2011.

We could package Farmar/Morrison to NY for Nate Robinson and raise the 11/12 cap to about 84 mill and still have room to spare for the role player contracts. Or just draft a young PG.
How are ariza and odom gonna be on this team?

n00bie
07-01-2009, 05:06 PM

yeah, his family needs $85 million a year to survive. :roll:

Vragrant
07-01-2009, 05:12 PM
yeah, his family needs $85 million a year to survive. :roll:

Well if I was in Bryants position I'd want not only my kids, but my childrens' children (grandkids) and so on to be well off. So yeah, not to survive but you'd want your family to be well taken care of down the line.

boozehound
07-01-2009, 05:12 PM
You're such a retard :roll:

Suppose this is what happens in 2011/2012

28 mill kobe
15 mill bynum
~14 mill gasol (new contract)
8 mill odom
6 mill ariza
5 mill luke

(expired by then)
sasha (5 mill)
morrison (6 mill)

That's a total of 76 million.

The Lakers would have about 14 million dollars to fill in the gaps to get to the 90 mill threshold which teams like NY and Dallas have been recently. LA will likely be there this season as well.

Minimum contracts

Mbenga/Elonu
Powell
Shannon Brown/draft young PG

Fish could go for vets minimum if he still wants to play

The contracts work. Our owner and franchise will make it happen.

Only hole I see is that we wouldn't be able to retain Farmar when he expires in the summer of 2011.

We could package Farmar/Morrison to NY for Nate Robinson and raise the 11/12 cap to about 84 mill and still have room to spare for the role player contracts. Or just draft a young PG.
you do realize that once you are over the cap, all you get is the MLE and the BAE to sign FAs? You can only go over to re-sign your own FAs. Also, your # for both ariza and odom are low (since whatever they get this offseason will have increases every season). So, they wont have 14 mil to fill the gaps as you say. They'll have about 7 mil. Plus you dont account for rookie contracts between now and then or the fact that you have to have 12 players on the roster.

This doesnt necessarily screw the lakers, but it will make it much more difficult for them to adjust the team.

In reality, with the 28 mil for kobe and 29 mil for pau/bynum, you are already at the cap. add in ariza, walton and odom and you are well beyond it. and that is for half of your roster and almost all frontcourt players.

By the end of this extension, LA fans are gonna wish kobe was gone.

bdreason
07-01-2009, 05:14 PM
He's got a family to feed...

FinishHim!
07-01-2009, 05:17 PM
He's got a family to feed...
With that kind of money, he could probably feed every child in America.:lol

YoungMula
07-01-2009, 05:17 PM
He is still playing at a high level so far, no one knows when he will start to decline. Hes only 30 goin on 31, he has plenty of fire left. People are hypocritical jackasses saying he should take less cause of the team, if someone put that on the table you gonna say no? He deserves to be payed the highest, even if it is half of the lakers salary cap (as someone said on here). Don't tell me Los Angeles is broke or hes so selfish :rolleyes:

bdreason
07-01-2009, 05:24 PM
With that kind of money, he could probably feed every child in America.:lol

Ya I know... just making fun of Latrell Sprewel.

niko
07-01-2009, 05:29 PM
You can't have it all. You can't have the star during just his good times and then at the very end dump him at just the perfect time. Yes, there will be a time this is too much money for Kobe. Think of it as a gift from the organization for a player that was part of 4 titles and counting and (not arguable) makes the Lakers the most popular team in the country. At some point the contract will be bad if you make a long term deal with a top player. it happens.

Mgamer20o0
07-01-2009, 05:42 PM
hey as long as buss is willing to pay it who cares. if they want to hit 100-130 million a year more power to buss.

dr8ked
07-01-2009, 05:44 PM
when does Gasol contract expire ???

chains5000
07-01-2009, 05:47 PM
I don't like Kobe at all (you can say I hate him), but it's good to see he can be a Laker for his career.
It's nice to see players playing for an only team, nowadays seems imposible.

inclinerator
07-01-2009, 05:50 PM
kobe bryant works his ass off for the money

AznTacoLover
07-01-2009, 05:52 PM
lakers offered a lot. well he's goona start to decline?, he can't really drive to the lane like he used too, but he still can not just really good? woah now he's filthy rich with the endorsements :eek:

KobeRules24
07-01-2009, 05:56 PM
i think Kobe should take a paycut but well....i hope we can keep this group together

nbastatus
07-01-2009, 05:59 PM
that is a lot of money.

Jacks3
07-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Duncan and KG took cuts and their teams did nothing substantive to upgrade the roster.

Kobe isn't opting out today nor should he.

You want someone to take a cut to create more space, why not Phil Jackson? Why not Buss himself? Why not Gary Vitti? Why is it Kobe instead? Cause he makes the most and he's a player, obvious target.

To take the cut fans want him to take would cost Kobe well over 10 million over the life of the extension. It's not just a 2M cut once. It's a cut in the baseline of his new contract, which is the starting point of the deal and the basis for raises. So he loses double figures easily.

Does he earn every dime of his K by working very hard, leading the team and putting fans in the seats? Yup. If Buss and Jackson took 10% cuts maybe Kobe would then say ok you guys are making a sacrifice then so will I. Short of that no. It's incumbent upon Dr. Buss to get this done, have faith in him, Mitch and the ownership partners to re-sign the free agents.

phoenix18
07-01-2009, 06:02 PM
Duncan and KG took cuts and their teams did nothing substantive to upgrade the roster.

You want someone to take a cut to create more space, why not Phil Jackson? Why not Buss himself? Why not Gary Vitti? Why is it Kobe instead? Cause he makes the most and he's a player, obvious target.

Didnt have to read the rest. Why the hell do you think people want Kobe to take a paycut? Because he makes the most. That's common sense.

Abraham Lincoln
07-01-2009, 06:04 PM
T'would be wise for him to wait until the likes of Trevor Ariza, Lamar Odom, and Shannon Brown be secured first.

Torious
07-01-2009, 06:05 PM
I don't believe this garbage for a second... maybe I should after Kupchak gave Bynum something like 12 mil a year. :hammerhead:

Guess I don't need to plan to watch the 2011+ seasons. An old Kobe, an injured Bynum and 11 scrubs. :lol

phoenix18
07-01-2009, 06:06 PM
I don't believe this garbage for a second... maybe I should after Kupchak gave Bynum something like 12 mil a year. :hammerhead:

Guess I don't need to plan to watch the 2011+ seasons. An old Kobe, an injured Bynum and 11 scrubs. :lol
Exactly.

niko
07-01-2009, 06:07 PM
Didn't we have this same discussion two weeks ago? Lakers are OVER the cap. Kobe taking a pay cut does not put them under the cap. All it does is give more money to the Lakers owners. So, this holier than thou asking Kobe to give back money does nothing except put more money in the Lakers owners pockets. It does not in anyway give the Lakers more flexibility.

Don't be so quick to ask people to take paycuts. Trust me, in your life you'll run into people who make less than you (well, some of you seem like retards so maybe not but the rest of you) and to them, you could make less so they got more. And you'll be pretty peeved at the though.

KobeRules24
07-01-2009, 06:09 PM

To take the cut fans want him to take would cost Kobe well over 10 million over the life of the extension. It's not just a 2M cut once. It's a cut in the baseline of his new contract, which is the starting point of the deal and the basis for raises. So he loses double figures easily.

Does he earn every dime of his K by working very hard, leading the team and putting fans in the seats? Yup. If Buss and Jackson took 10% cuts maybe Kobe would then say ok you guys are making a sacrifice then so will I. Short of that no. It's incumbent upon Dr. Buss to get this done, have faith in him, Mitch and the ownership partners to re-sign the free agents.

you made some good points but i believe Kobe should take a paycut, he wants to win right? well if that's the case he should make a sacrifice and leave 10-12 millions in the table so we can sign Trevor and Lamar and keep this group together for 4-5 more years. kobe's future is already secure and he makes tons of millions in endorsements deals so taking a paycut wouldn't hurt him financially.

bleedinpurpleTwo
07-01-2009, 06:11 PM
it appears that many of you still don't understand how the contracts and lux tax work.

take some time to read up on it.

bleedinpurpleTwo
07-01-2009, 06:12 PM
you made some good points but kobe should take a paycut, he wants to win right? he should make a sacrifice and leave 10-12 millions in the table so we can sign trevor and lamar and keep this group together for 4-5 more years. kobe's future is already secure and he makes tons of millions in endorsements deals.

Buss is paying lux tax no matter what. its up to HIM to decide how much tax he wants to pay. if we wants to pay double for Odom, pay double for Ariza, pay double for Brown...then that's his thing.

KenneBell
07-01-2009, 06:45 PM
You guys are not accounting for inflation on Jordan's contract. According to the basic inflation calculator, Jordan was getting paid $40+ million over his past two years in 2008 money.

Yes, the economy is in a recession and the CBA is different but let's not call their contracts equal.

Personally, if Buss wants to pay that type of money, Kobe shouldn't turn it down. Right now thw Lakers are the most popular team with the most popular player. They are raking in the cash. I think Buss and Kupchak will make almost everyone happy in the end.

Fatal9
07-01-2009, 07:02 PM
Shouldn't the recession make Kobe ask for even MORE money? Anyone here stupid enough to think he didn't lose a ton of money in the stock market (and real estate investments) like every other wealthy person? You realize he isn't just collecting the money and putting it in in his chequing account right? :oldlol:

thejumpa
07-01-2009, 07:05 PM
Shouldn't the recession make Kobe ask for even MORE money? Anyone here stupid enough to think he didn't lose a ton of money in the stock market (and real estate investments) like every other wealthy person? You realize he isn't just collecting the money and putting it in in his chequing account right? :oldlol:

:roll: yeah people never understand this. NBA players are just like everybody else (many a lil bit dumber), and that's why they are asking for so much money...they lost a whole bunch. Still, Kobe has made a stupid amount of money in his career. Unless he is an idiot and going out buying things like $4 million dollar purple diamonds....I doubt he is hurting:D

okayabc123
07-01-2009, 07:23 PM
Some of you people need to have a job to start talking about taking less pay!!!

It doesn't matter if you are in the NBA, work for a corporate, or just McDonalds. And it doesn't matter if you are making $30K/yr, $100K/Yr, or $28Mil/yr.

Just think for a moment,

You are the best man for the job for your entire company, in fact you know your company can't get a better person for the job to replace you... now will you go ahead and tell your boss, "You know what, FORGET the RAISE for next 5 years.. for the BETTER of the COMPANY, I want a pay cut, so we can use that money to pay for the rest of the employees (the account manager who shows up once in awhile to work at the office, the slacker who surfs all day on the internet, the other managers at the company that does the same sh!t you do but only they have no passion about their job or won't work as hard as you)".

When that day comes for all of you, then you can come back and say Kobe Bryant is selfish for taking $28 million.

thejumpa
07-01-2009, 07:28 PM
It's not rocket science. You take less pay and allow the money to be spent in other ways.......ie signing other players who are important. Players have done this in the past.....no big deal. If they would just realize that even WITH a paycut, they would be set for life still.....who knows what good things happen for the team.

That being said, I'm not mad at Kobe or any player who doesn't take less money. If it's offered.....take it. You obviously feel like your worth it and it's not your job to take a paycut anyway....but it could help

NoGunzJustSkillz
07-01-2009, 07:42 PM
t-mac is making $23.2 million next year, what do u guys think about that?

thejumpa
07-01-2009, 07:45 PM

He's worth it

phoenix18
07-01-2009, 07:52 PM
That's the last year of his contract.

Lebron23
07-01-2009, 07:54 PM
He's 31 yrs.old. Kobe wants to earn more money before the retires in the NBA.

Y2Gezee
07-01-2009, 07:59 PM
He still sacrificed. I said I would've opted out and gotten another 7 year deal worth God knows how much money. Instead he's only probably got this 5 year window of making that much money as he likely won't get another extension paying him that much.

poido123
07-01-2009, 08:07 PM
Some of you people need to have a job to start talking about taking less pay!!!

It doesn't matter if you are in the NBA, work for a corporate, or just McDonalds. And it doesn't matter if you are making $30K/yr, $100K/Yr, or $28Mil/yr.

Just think for a moment,

You are the best man for the job for your entire company, in fact you know your company can't get a better person for the job to replace you... now will you go ahead and tell your boss, "You know what, FORGET the RAISE for next 5 years.. for the BETTER of the COMPANY, I want a pay cut, so we can use that money to pay for the rest of the employees (the account manager who shows up once in awhile to work at the office, the slacker who surfs all day on the internet, the other managers at the company that does the same sh!t you do but only they have no passion about their job or won't work as hard as you)".

When that day comes for all of you, then you can come back and say Kobe Bryant is selfish for taking $28 million.

Your mssing the point, we are talking about basketball teammates, not common employees, where talking about what price Kobe has on keeping team chemistry...

Interminator
07-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Whatever, Kobe fans come to defend their master.

KenneBell
07-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Your mssing the point, we are talking about basketball teammates, not common employees, where talking about what price Kobe has on keeping team chemistry...
His extension won't come into effect for another two years anyway. :confusedshrug:

okayabc123
07-01-2009, 09:06 PM

Bro.. you are missing the point.

NBA is a corporation, Kobe Bryant playing basketball is his job, he is an employee of the Los Angeles Lakers.

The amount of money is not the point, the point is if AEG + Jerry Buss is banking in $$$ because of Kobe, then Kobe should get pay. And if AEG + Jerry Buss + 2 percent of Magic Johnson's ownership doesn't have the money, then they wouldn't be able to pay Kobe 28 millions/yr anyway. The fact is the whole Lakers organization is making dollars by the seconds. And who is their cash cow? Kobe Bryant. Odom and Ariza won't be selling enough seats/jerseys/or any other Lakers merchandises for the Lakers to make money on.

Money is not a concern, going over the salary cap has never been a concern to Jerry Buss, he knows well in advance that if Lakers can get into the playoffs, those salary cap $$$ will be paid for by itself.

It's up to Mitch and Buss to decide if Ariza is worth the reported 9 million a year, and if Odom is worth the money he wants. If so, they will pay. If not, then Mitch will find other ways to fill in that role.

You have to understand it's a business that they are running. Kobe is just trying to get as much as he can for being the player that he is. And if you look at it from any corporate view, and you are the most coveted and marketed person for the job, and you can bring in a sh!tload of cash for your company, you will want to get pay a sh!tload as well. That's just business.

poido123
07-01-2009, 10:36 PM
Bro.. you are missing the point.

NBA is a corporation, Kobe Bryant playing basketball is his job, he is an employee of the Los Angeles Lakers.

The amount of money is not the point, the point is if AEG + Jerry Buss is banking in $$$ because of Kobe, then Kobe should get pay. And if AEG + Jerry Buss + 2 percent of Magic Johnson's ownership doesn't have the money, then they wouldn't be able to pay Kobe 28 millions/yr anyway. The fact is the whole Lakers organization is making dollars by the seconds. And who is their cash cow? Kobe Bryant. Odom and Ariza won't be selling enough seats/jerseys/or any other Lakers merchandises for the Lakers to make money on.

Money is not a concern, going over the salary cap has never been a concern to Jerry Buss, he knows well in advance that if Lakers can get into the playoffs, those salary cap $$$ will be paid for by itself.

It's up to Mitch and Buss to decide if Ariza is worth the reported 9 million a year, and if Odom is worth the money he wants. If so, they will pay. If not, then Mitch will find other ways to fill in that role.

You have to understand it's a business that they are running. Kobe is just trying to get as much as he can for being the player that he is. And if you look at it from any corporate view, and you are the most coveted and marketed person for the job, and you can bring in a sh!tload of cash for your company, you will want to get pay a sh!tload as well. That's just business.

You mean kobe signing that deal has no bearing or affect on Ariza AND Odom resigning? Comon, if you had the atttitude of doing whatever it takes to keep your teammates, then I would say something like Ariza take your 9 mill, Im gettin paid more than double your amount per year anyway so Im right, its not like I need the money anymore, having my teammates around IS the most important thing to me...:confusedshrug: I know very well the NBA is a business, but there are certain players who could show alittle more generosity other than the mandatory programs run by the NBA for image...We can understand fatcat owners raking in the doe, but I think players who have teammates around them should think alittle less about the money theyre making and more about the best thing for the team, Duncan did it...

Laker4Lyfe
07-01-2009, 11:17 PM
After reading through 11 pages of comedy I only have 2 thoughts.

#1. Those of you complaining act like the money is coming out of your pockets or affecting you in some way. Which we all know it's not so your points are pretty much mute.

#2. Most of you complaining are Lakers/Kobe haters anyway so who really gives a flying fart what you guys think??? :confusedshrug::confusedshrug:

Here's a news flash, worry about YOUR TEAM and what moves they are making and quit hating on the Lakers/Kobe. :no::no:

phoenix18
07-01-2009, 11:49 PM
After reading through 11 pages of comedy I only have 2 thoughts.

#1. Those of you complaining act like the money is coming out of your pockets or affecting you in some way. Which we all know it's not so your points are pretty much mute.

#2. Most of you complaining are Lakers/Kobe haters anyway so who really gives a flying fart what you guys think??? :confusedshrug::confusedshrug:

Here's a news flash, worry about YOUR TEAM and what moves they are making and quit hating on the Lakers/Kobe. :no::no:
:no: This is exactly why we shouldnt discuss laker topics. Every time you something negative about them, you are called names. Fine, let kobe ruin your team by showing how selfish he is. That's not my problem. After all, I should worry about my team.

raptorfan_dr07
07-02-2009, 01:11 AM
Wish Kobe was gone? :roll: :roll: :roll: Why would you wish a guy that brought you 1 title and maybe more is gone?

Fixed.

Anyways, all I have to say is if my employer came to me and offered me an 85mill raise over 3 years, I'm taking it no questions asked. Screw a pay cut.

chitownsfinest
07-02-2009, 01:22 AM
No Kobe, no Game 7 near triple double and clutch play vs. Blazers...not title

The next two years Kobe had great postseason runs with LA.

Hypotheticals don't cut it.

You think Pippen didn't win 6 for Chicago? Not the #1 but still was huge in ontribution.
He had one field goal in that comeback and one assist. Shaq fouling out Sabonis, Shaw and Horry hitting a combined three three's in the comeback, and Sheed bricking two free throws in the end of the quarter were the main reasons LA came back. In fact, Portland refusing to feed Sheed in the post when he was killing LA was the biggest reason. You clearly looked at his stat line for this. He wasn't even close to the main reason LA came back.

Yeah he had the alley-oop to Shaq but LA was already up at that point and it was a wide open lob to Shaq. Save me the bs.

bleedinpurpleTwo
07-02-2009, 01:31 AM
He had one field goal in that comeback and one assist. Shaq fouling out Sabonis, Shaw and Horry hitting a combined three three's in the comeback, and Sheed bricking two free throws in the end of the quarter were the main reasons LA came back. In fact, Portland refusing to feed Sheed in the post when he was killing LA was the biggest reason. You clearly looked at his stat line for this. He wasn't even close to the main reason LA came back.

Yeah he had the alley-oop to Shaq but LA was already up at that point and it was a wide open lob to Shaq. Save me the bs.

Kobe was the player of the game.
no doubt. he was huge. he made plays at both ends.
lol at trying to belittle that performance.

chitownsfinest
07-02-2009, 01:34 AM
Want to give me his stat line for that game?

How about 25 pts/11 rbnds/7 assists/4 blocks

Shaq had 18 pts 9 rbnds.
Yet you claimed his clutch play is why LA won when that is far from the truth.
I just showed you he didn't have that big of a role in that comeback in giving you actual facts about the game and all you post is a stat line? More proof that stats don't show everything. Since you seem so content in comparing his stat lines to Shaq's, want to give me the stat lines from the 2000 finals?

chitownsfinest
07-02-2009, 01:36 AM
Kobe was the player of the game.
no doubt. he was huge. he made plays at both ends.
lol at trying to belittle that performance.
He played great that game but he wasn't the sole reason on why they won like the person I responded to claimed. Brian Shaw and Robert Horry hit three big three pointers and Shaq fouled out Sabonis which was big.

chitownsfinest
07-02-2009, 01:40 AM
You can argue that if Kobe has a sub-par game, the Lakers don't make the Finals.

My bad on the "clutch analysis".

Anyway, there's no guarantee that other perimeter players of the time could put up that stat line and have the determination to still play despite being down by so much.

I mean come on 25/11/7/4 in a Game 7 that basically decides the title.

So back to my original argument, Kobe did help win that tile. Clearly more than just a role player did.
Yeah I agree here. He was an all star player in 2000 and a superstar in the next two seasons. He clearly played a huge role, no argument there but I don't see anyone claiming he was a role player in the first three peat.

Laker4Lyfe
07-02-2009, 02:43 AM
:no: This is exactly why we shouldnt discuss laker topics. Every time you something negative about them, you are called names. Fine, let kobe ruin your team by showing how selfish he is. That's not my problem. After all, I should worry about my team.

THANK YOU!!!

Let me worry about MY team and you worry about yours.

Like you care if the Lakers are ruined by Kobe or anyone else. :roll::roll::roll:

lxlHoTsAuSelxl
07-02-2009, 03:16 AM

:oldlol: Gilbert didn't want to rob them that badly, oh wait he still did :oldlol: .

lxlHoTsAuSelxl
07-02-2009, 03:21 AM

:oldlol: At all these folk talking about GREED. If I didn't need to ask for it and it was just offered to me/you **** yea you take that **** and run with it :oldlol: . 30 MILLION A YEAR WTF!!!!!!!!!???????:eek: :hammertime:

LA_Showtime
07-02-2009, 03:54 AM
Raptorfan_dr7 says Kobe brought LA only 1 title.

It's like saying Pippen brought Chicago 0 titles.

The sidekick helps bring the title. No sidekick, no title.

This is raptor fan you're talking about. He doesn't talk ever talk about the Raptors... it's basically just a cover up name to hate on Kobe.