PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Rose SAT-cheating discussion: If Rose is that dumb, will he ever be great?

Interminator
05-27-2009, 09:21 PM
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/may/27/ncaa-alleges-major-violations-memphis-basketball-p/

The University of Memphis is responding to an NCAA notice of allegations charging the men's basketball program with major violations during the 2007-08 season under John Calipari.

The allegations include "knowing fraudulence or misconduct" on an SAT exam by a player on the 2007-08 team, widely reported to be Derrick Rose. The player's name is redacted in the NCAA's notice of allegations, but the description of the player in the notice also pointed to Rose.

The NCAA alleged the prospective player became eligible after an "unknown individual" completed his SAT. The player, said the NCAA, "subsequently competed for the men's basketball team through the 2007-08 season, which included his participation in the 2008 NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Championship."

GreatGreg
05-27-2009, 10:09 PM
Ok? How are they going to be "forced" to forfeit their 38 won games and Final Four appearance?
That stuff is done. If i'm wrong, can someone please explain to me what that actually means?

wang4three
05-27-2009, 10:15 PM
I wish I could say that I'm surprised, but I'm not.

dab0yech0
05-27-2009, 10:16 PM
Mayo, Rose, so the next person should be Gordon and Indiana?

Posterize246
05-27-2009, 10:17 PM
John Chaney should have knocked his punk ass out

wang4three
05-27-2009, 10:20 PM
Mayo, Rose, so the next person should be Gordon and Indiana?

Gordon and Kelvin Sampson controversy happened well before anything was said about Mayo and Rose.

HylianNightmare
05-27-2009, 10:33 PM
Ok? How are they going to be "forced" to forfeit their 38 won games and Final Four appearance?
That stuff is done. If i'm wrong, can someone please explain to me what that actually means?

your avatar is freakin amazing

YAH trick YAH
05-27-2009, 10:33 PM
Shocking, who could have known?:oldlol:

If the NCAA had any balls, Kentucky will be next.

InspiredLebowski
05-27-2009, 11:38 PM
Gordon and Kelvin Sampson controversy happened well before anything was said about Mayo and Rose.

That and from what I recall, there weren't any wrongdoings as far as Gordon was concerned anyway. Unless continuing to recruit a kid once he's committed is a violation, I honestly don't know.

Shepseskaf
05-28-2009, 12:04 AM
John Chaney should have knocked his punk ass out
:oldlol:

DCL
05-28-2009, 02:21 AM
cheating in sports is john calipari's passion

LoPro4u2c
05-28-2009, 02:58 AM
NCAA, the most corrupt sports organization in America today. Oh well, at least we get to see these tards get grilled when it comes to the BCS and $hit anytime soon. Can't wait for Congress to go ape$hit on the BCS/NCAA.

wang4three
05-28-2009, 05:59 AM
That and from what I recall, there weren't any wrongdoings as far as Gordon was concerned anyway. Unless continuing to recruit a kid once he's committed is a violation, I honestly don't know.

It was more than that. Kelvin participated in numerous of illegal phone calls to Gordon as well as other recruits.. They were violations that cost the university.

InspiredLebowski
05-28-2009, 06:09 AM
It was more than that. Kelvin participated in numerous of illegal phone calls to Gordon as well as other recruits.. They were violations that cost the university.
Sure the calls/texts were with Gordon? Come to think of it I do remember Sampson hiring his cousin or something like that when he first arrived. I didn't really keep up on it much, IU can eat a dick.

wang4three
05-28-2009, 08:29 AM
Sure the calls/texts were with Gordon? Come to think of it I do remember Sampson hiring his cousin or something like that when he first arrived. I didn't really keep up on it much, IU can eat a dick.

I don't recall exactly, but he's made hundreds of hundreds of impermissible phone calls throughout his career. I'm sure some of them had to be to Gordon. Sampson did hire Gordon's relatives as well as overlook a drug problem that was going on with the team.

John Smith
05-28-2009, 09:40 AM
Is anyone really shocked that programs like Memphis and USC are dirty? :lol

That's why clean programs like ILLINOIS and Michigan State deserve a ton of praise for their constant ability to remain in the polls despite going up against "schools" that pay their "student" athletes.

I don't recall exactly, but he's made hundreds of hundreds of impermissible phone calls throughout his career. I'm sure some of them had to be to Gordon. Sampson did hire Gordon's relatives as well as overlook a drug problem that was going on with the team.

You don't recall?!

Indiana had a plethora of players, like Basset and Ellis, who actually smoked crack! This is no lie and Eric Gordon even said as much. When the Indiana basketball program would go on the road some players, like Gordon and DJ White, would stay in their rooms at night while others like Bassett, Ellis, and a few other scrubs that didn't get much playing time would be blowing blunts, smoking crack, and screwing hoes. No joke. This is why they were kicked off the team but Kelvin Sampson didn't care. That Hoosier program was as dirty as they get.

The most pathetic thing was Sampson making star recruits' fathers his assistant coaches so he could land their son for his team...what a clown Scumson is.

wang4three
05-28-2009, 10:06 AM
You don't recall?!

Don't recall exactly if Gordon was directly implicated in the phone call investigation. I know about the drug problems.

bagelred
05-28-2009, 10:14 AM
It is also alleged that Memphis permitted an associate of a player to travel with the team to some road games for free, an extra benefit that would amount to $2,260:lol

Let's see if I understand this correctly:

- The NCAA organization makes lots of money
- The Universities make lots of money
- Athletic Directors make lots of money
- The Television networks make lots of money
- The Head Coach and Coaching staff make lots of money
- All the other providers of College sporting gear and accessories make money
- Sponsors and advertisers get what they want
- Actual players who play the game are slave labor because they are "amateurs"

Makes sense to me........:rolleyes:

What a scandal!!!!! Couple thousand dollars to a friend!!!!!!! GASP!!!!!!!!!!! How DARE you try to profit from your labor!!!!!!

wang4three
05-28-2009, 10:30 AM
What a scandal!!!!! Couple thousand dollars to a friend!!!!!!! GASP!!!!!!!!!!! How DARE you try to profit from your labor!!!!!!

I'm sorry, but equating free tuition, room and board, as well as other campus benefits to slavery is just ludicrous. If you haven't realized, the majority of colleges and universities lose money on their athletic programs because it's not profitable. Now you're asking to pay players on top of paying off their scholarships? A full academic ride is already over $100,000 when you include dorm fees, and food, travel expenses.

Having worked two jobs in college to only pay half my tuition as my parents paid off the other half, I'd gladly take a scholarship and they print "Wang" on every T-shirt they sold and not make a dime just to play the sport I love and get a free education... and somehow you deem that slavery? Give me a break.

Go Getter
05-28-2009, 10:34 AM
I'm sorry, but equating free tuition, room and board, as well as other campus benefits to slavery is just ludicrous. If you haven't realized, the majority of colleges and universities lose money on their athletic programs because it's not profitable. Now you're asking to pay players on top of paying off their scholarships? A full academic ride is already over $100,000 when you include dorm fees, and food, travel expenses.

Having worked two jobs in college to only pay half my tuition as my parents paid off the other half, I'd gladly take a scholarship and they print "Wang" on every T-shirt they sold and not make a dime just to play the sport I love and get a free education... and somehow you deem that slavery? Give me a break.

Most big time football and basketball programs make millions....there would be no college athletics if not for this fact. Sleezeball coaches are all about the money....I went to Ohio State and they paid players.

bagelred
05-28-2009, 10:35 AM
Give me a break.

I hope more and more of the elite athletes skip college and go to the international leagues to get paid. Thus causing the collapse of the entire NCAA program......

Please?

Interminator
05-28-2009, 10:45 AM
I hope more and more of the elite athletes skip college and go to the international leagues to get paid. Thus causing the collapse of the entire NCAA program......

Please?
Your panties soiled?

College basketball wont collapse because the elite HS athletes go to Europe where they flounder on the bench unable to adjust to the system & culture before taking their chance at the NBA, while most basketball fans forget about them until the NBA Draft.

Actually it would make college basketball much better with more 2-4 year players in school so teams arent having complete makeovers every year.

The point is that players choose to do this on their own when they break rules while going to college, they know that taking $1000 in an envelope is wrong, but they still do it anyways.These ones are the ones who dont see the actual point of college basketball and treat it like its the AAU circuit.

bagelred
05-28-2009, 10:49 AM
The point is that players choose to do this on their own when they break rules while going to college, they know that taking $1000 in an envelope is wrong, but they still do it anyways.These ones are the ones who dont see the actual point of college basketball and treat it like its the AAU circuit.

Why is it "wrong"? Because the NCAA says so? Seems very right to me. You are providing a service. And you want to get paid for that service.

NCAA feels they have a monopoly on the system. I hope athletes realize there is a better choice than a "free edamacation". Please.

Go to Europe everyone.....

DCL
05-28-2009, 10:52 AM
i can sit here all day and pretend how i think they are so incredibly disgusting, but that is just a load of "holier than thou" horse sh!t.

dude, if i were a superstar athlete in high school, and hundreds of schools want my ass, and some even beg to offer me and my family money and benefits under the table, i'd take advantage of the situation too, shiiiet. :oldlol:

Interminator
05-28-2009, 11:16 AM
Why is it "wrong"? Because the NCAA says so? Seems very right to me. You are providing a service. And you want to get paid for that service.
Its wrong because you shouldn't take money from strangers, didnt your mother ever tell you that?

The NCAA makes the rules, and when you sign on to play college basketball you are agreeing to follow the rules, and by breaking them you not only affect yourself but your teammates & their families, and your coaches and their families.

NCAA feels they have a monopoly on the system. I hope athletes realize there is a better choice than a "free edamacation". Please.

Go to Europe everyone.....
Im sorry but a Free Education is important to a lot of people, espescially ones that come from poverty who actually want to learn and establish a career or interest outside of basketball whenever the dream comes to an end.
Not every player is going to make $1.5 Million in the NBA, there are many who will end up playing in Bulgaria for $99,000 or less per year that may be unable to pay to finish the rest of their college education to advance themselves after they are done playing basketball.

If they want to go to Europe they can do so, they better be ready to adjust to the style of play and culture while making hours long bus rides to their next games playing in front of 4,000 people while being booed heavily when they struggle.

What great responsibility for a 19 year old.

When if you took the college route all you have to worry about is going to class each morning, and being ready for basketball practice.

Interminator
05-28-2009, 11:18 AM
dude, if i were a superstar athlete in high school, and hundreds of schools want my ass, and some even beg to offer me and my family money and benefits under the table, i'd take advantage of the situation too, shiiiet. :oldlol:
Even if it hurts your teammates and their families along with your coaches and their families.

Your actions affect others, the few who dont realize this are usually the most ignorant.

boozehound
05-28-2009, 11:33 AM
it means its off the records. looks like cal pulled a kelvin sampson. have fun UK

A.M.G.
05-28-2009, 12:47 PM

Please?
How many roster spots do you think there are in European leagues? You do realize that the vast, vast majority of NCAA players would not be able to make a roster in Europe? It is high level basketball over there, played by seasoned veterans, most of the European leagues are not bush leagues in terms of talent, plus each team is only allowed to have a certain number of foreign players. Even assuming you do go to Europe, most of the teams can't pay you that much, you're not going to be making 6-figures as a bench warmer on a lot of those teams. Frankly, unless you become an established rotation player and get a correspondingly lucrative contract (again, the vast majority of American college basketball athletes, recieving free educations, are NOT good enough to achieve this) a university education would be more valuable in the long run.

In college, NCAA stars dominate against guys their own age, with inferior talent, physical ability and skill level. That would not be the case for most young American players against veteran European pros, see Brandon Jennings. The top HS PG in America is riding pine in Europe.

Some of the elite players who were destined for the NBA anyway will start doing it and some will do alright, but the idea that this would kill NCAA basketball is ridiculous.

Yes, we'll be missing out on watching a few stars play in college, but that doesn't mean fans will stop watching their teams or that March Madness will cease to be an exciting tournament, and therefore NCAA basketball will continue to make money.

The fact is a full university education, plus room, board, national TV exposure, being treated like kings on campus, prestige after graduation, not to mention they probably get to keep a lot of their gear, is adequate compensation. If they value their education and actually learn something it will earn them plenty of money over the course of their lives.

Now, the NCAA does make a lot of money from these basketball players playing, and maybe the players should get a cut. But would it be an equal cut for all D1 players, or would only the players who go to high major schools get paid? Mid and Low major schools don't pull in a lot of revenue. And it would totally kill the idea that these are student athletes, many of the players wouldn't value their education at all and would just look at going to college as a 4 year pay cheque. They would be pros.

And how is Calipari off the hook for this? Didn't it happen under him? Isn't it likely that he's the one who had somebody grease the academic wheels for Mr. Rose? If he would be in **** had he stayed at Memphis, why should fleeing to kentucky change anything? He's still a corrupt slimeball.

DCL
05-28-2009, 01:28 PM
Even if it hurts your teammates and their families along with your coaches and their families.

Your actions affect others, the few who dont realize this are usually the most ignorant.

hurt the coaches? :roll: like they're the innocent ones. they run the friggin dirty programs.

the ones who assume coaches don't know what's going on are pretty ignorant.

lbjdrosehybrid
05-28-2009, 01:31 PM
d rose is from chicago so he takes the ACT, the story says SAT

Interminator
05-28-2009, 01:38 PM
hurt the coaches? :roll: like they're the innocent ones. they run the friggin dirty programs.
Coach K runs a dirty program at Duke?
Corey Maggette made a mistake by taking money from Myron Piggie which almost got Duke's basketball program in trouble without Coach K's knowledge of the situation occuring until it was made public.

There are some coaches who knowingly get involved with players who are breaking the rules, but not all of them do, but in this case KFC knew exactly what was going on.

boozehound
05-28-2009, 01:49 PM
d rose is from chicago so he takes the ACT, the story says SAT
uh what? Different schools accept one or the other or both. Being from a region doesnt determine which one you take, its which schools you are applying to.

DCL
05-28-2009, 01:53 PM
Coach K runs a dirty program at Duke?
Corey Maggette made a mistake by taking money from Myron Piggie which almost got Duke's basketball program in trouble without Coach K's knowledge of the situation occuring until it was made public.

There are some coaches who knowingly get involved with players who are breaking the rules, but not all of them do, but in this case KFC knew exactly what was going on.

so coach k is golden boy that everyone defends like jesus. but that's one example out of dozens of scandals in college basketball. for every one of him, there are bunch of todd bozemans, larry eustachys, jerry tarkanians, rollie massominos, jim harricks, and john caliparis. they know exactly what kind of dirty program they're running. they've been in trouble more than once. it's a pattern whichever school they go to. they may not necessarily be the one directly involved or handing the envelope of money or handing off a car key, but they are always involved in the decision making behind closed doors.

wang4three
05-28-2009, 02:13 PM
Most big time football and basketball programs make millions....there would be no college athletics if not for this fact. Sleezeball coaches are all about the money....I went to Ohio State and they paid players.

I said most programs, not most big time programs. There are only a selective amount of "big time" programs in the US. It's a very, very small minority.

wang4three
05-28-2009, 02:19 PM

Please?

Collapse.. you're not very well versed in this are you? Before the NBA initiated the 19 year old rule, college basketball was doing well. We had all these kids going to the NBA who obviously did not want to be in college and there were no issues. People were still watching games and people were still following the tournament. At most every year there's only about 5 kids AT MOST who are ready for professional ball NBA or abroad. You think losing 5 great kids once again--AT MOST-- is really going to hurt the NCAA? Enough to make it "collapse"? You can't be serious.

Interminator
05-28-2009, 05:17 PM
so coach k is golden boy that everyone defends like jesus. but that's one example out of dozens of scandals in college basketball. for every one of him, there are bunch of todd bozemans, larry eustachys, jerry tarkanians, rollie massominos, jim harricks, and john caliparis. they know exactly what kind of dirty program they're running. they've been in trouble more than once. it's a pattern whichever school they go to. they may not necessarily be the one directly involved or handing the envelope of money or handing off a car key, but they are always involved in the decision making behind closed doors.
Keep naming them, you're going as far back as the 80's.

Larry Eustachy?:oldlol:
He got fired for dinking with college kids, he just utlized the Juco route very well and got Tinsley.

For every 1 of them theres 10 clean coaches.

I have a few more that should be on your list:
Scott Drew
Ernie Kent
Bill Bayno

The_Yearning
05-28-2009, 05:33 PM
scandalous

SCY
05-28-2009, 05:40 PM
Well that explains why John Calipari left. NCAA needs to start holding coaches accountable as well as programs.

Jinxed
05-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Derrick Rose had to have someone take that SAT for him because he couldn't get an 820 by himself. An 820....that's all he needed..and he couldn't do it.

The guy is a moron.

Can you be a great NBA player if you are an idiot? Especially a point guard? Where you are expected to run an offense. Athleticism can only take you so far, at some point your intelligence is going to kick in and you need to have a high basketball IQ in order to take it to the next level.

Look at all the best point guards of the last few years.

Steve Nash
Chauncey Billups
Chris Paul

They all come off as fairly intelligent guys with high basketball IQ's.

Have there ever been any great NBA players who are downright stupid?
The greatest PG's of all time, Stockton and Magic- the same..smart guys. Derrick Rose is borderline downe syndrome

phoenix18
05-29-2009, 11:40 AM
Derrick Rose had to have someone take that SAT for him because he couldn't get an 820 by himself. An 820....that's all he needed..and he couldn't do it.

The guy is a moron.

Can you be a great NBA player if you are an idiot? Especially a point guard? Where you are expected to run an offense. Athleticism can only take you so far, at some point your intelligence is going to kick in and you need to have a high basketball IQ in order to take it to the next level.

Steve Nash
Chauncey Billups
Chris Paul

The greatest PG's of all time, Stockton and Magic- the same..smart guys. Derrick Rose is borderline downe syndrome
Harsh? Just because some one couldnt take a test doesnt mean they are stupid.

vapid
05-29-2009, 11:41 AM
820 is pretty sad, no matter how you spin it.

SRZ66
05-29-2009, 11:42 AM
isiah thomas.

wang4three
05-29-2009, 11:42 AM
Is this under the new 2400 score or whatever it is? I'm surprised he took the SAT over the ACT being from the midwest and all.

KG had a really low SAT score too, I don't think it will really matter.

swyftdahoe
05-29-2009, 11:44 AM
He's pretty dumb. So evident in interviews. And might be the reason why I've never hopped on his bandwagon. But damn he can play tho! His court vision is lacking however (lack of intelligence there? not sure).

Bodin
05-29-2009, 11:47 AM
There are different kinds of intelligence. We don't have the SAT in Canada but from what I understand it examines logicial, mathematical, and linguistic intelligences. I imagine Rose just isn't smart in those areas.

Google Howard Gardner if you're interested in this (multiple intelligences).... According to Gardner, Rose would have exceptional bodily-kinesthetic intelligence.

Ian
He's pretty dumb. So evident in interviews. And might be the reason why I've never hopped on his bandwagon. But damn he can play tho! His court vision is lacking however (lack of intelligence there? not sure).

Any links to these 'stupid interviews'? I guess I've never heard him talk, now that I think of it.

White Chocolate
Not everyone is a good test taker. I got a 1400 on the new SAT, which is the equivalence of roughly 930 on the old one. Then again, I never claimed I was a genius.

Go Getter
05-29-2009, 11:48 AM
Basketball is not quantum physics....half of the NBA/NFL/MLB are flaming idiots on a scholastic level.

Chris Paul, Chauncey Billups, and Steve Nash aren't necessarily geniuses off court b/c they are on court, conversely.

IcanzIIravor
05-29-2009, 11:49 AM
I don't think an inability to do good at written tests means you're an idiot. Some people are better at being hands on while some people are great at written tests, but are stupid when it comes to hands on.

Go Getter
05-29-2009, 11:50 AM
I got 1200 on the old SAT....I'm a good test taker....doesn't make me 'smart'.....it means I can memorize bull**** for a test.

swyftdahoe
05-29-2009, 11:51 AM
^ Go Getter, I am quite certain those 3 are much smarter than Derrick Rose. But that said, none of them have his athletic/physical gifts (and that can make up for a lot of what's missing upstairs). Anyways, I think this is much ado about nothing (at least for now). His "stupidity" hasn't hindered his play thus far.

Interminator
05-29-2009, 11:53 AM
Not everyone is a good test taker. I got a 1400 on the new SAT, which is the equivalence of roughly 930 on the old one. Then again, I never claimed I was a genius.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

820 is horrible considering it was the new SAT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF0xyVv88ME

I thought he was just shy, but he might just be dumb.

Bodin
05-29-2009, 11:53 AM
I got 1200 on the old SAT....I'm a good test taker....doesn't make me 'smart'.....it means I can memorize bull**** for a test.

This is exactly it... They only test you on a few areas of your brain. If there was a test for sports, running, body control, strength etc I am sure Rose would ace it.

phoenix18
05-29-2009, 11:54 AM
I got a 1530 on the new one as well. But then I got a 27 on the ACT.

Bodin
05-29-2009, 11:56 AM
I got a 1530 on the new one as well. But then I got a 27 on the ACT.

What is an average score on the new SAT? It's out of 2400 correct?

phoenix18
05-29-2009, 11:57 AM
Yup.

Go Getter
^ Go Getter, I am quite certain those 3 are much smarter than Derrick Rose. But that said, none of them have his athletic/physical gifts (and that can make up for a lot of what's missing upstairs). Anyways, I think this is much ado about nothing (at least for now). His "stupidity" hasn't hindered his play thus far.

Basketball is NOT something you need a high IQ for....you can be trained....it doesn't take higher brain functions.

My uncle (RIP) was certified crazy (schitzo)...all he would do is smoke weed and laugh at God knows what all day...but he was a mechanical genius...he had cars lined up in front of the house because of his skill.

I believe that Rose a typical spoiled athlete that let people do things to placate/enable him to shirk his academic responsibilities...who knows if he would have scored if he took the test legitimately?

At any rate the SAT does not equal on court success...many HOF basketball players are plumb dumb.

Interminator
What is an average score on the new SAT? It's out of 2400 correct?
An average score is 1500 out of 2400, 3 sections Reading, Math,& Verbal.

But the main thing colleges look at is the combined score of Reading & Math.

phoenix18
05-29-2009, 11:58 AM
Basketball is NOT something you need a high IQ for....you can be trained....it doesn't take higher brain functions.

My uncle (RIP) was certified crazy (schitzo)...all he would do is smoke weed and laugh at God knows what all day...but he was a mechanical genius...he had cars lined up in front of the house because of his skill.

I believe that Rose a typical spoiled athlete that let people do things to placate/enable him to shirk his academic responsibilities...who knows if he would have scored if he took the test legitimately?

At any rate the SAT does not equal on court success...many HOF basketball players are plumb dumb.
Where do you guys get that many basketball players are stupid? Some might be, but not all are.

White Chocolate

That's right. I forgot he's my age, so he was in the first year of the new SAT. But seriously, don't you get like 200-300 points just for putting your name down? If the 820 is on the new SAT, that's the equivalence of roughly 550 on the old one. :eek: On the old SAT, wasn't the minimum to get a sports scholarship 700?

STelfair31
you can't compare basketball IQ, to standardized test. like you can't compare standardized test to everyday common sense... Him not being able to score on the SAT, has no role if he can be a great basketball player..

Interminator
05-29-2009, 11:59 AM

This.

But in todays of age of marketing yourself outside of basketball, it does not help to be legally retarded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzYOsQBGttA

:oldlol: :oldlol:

White Chocolate
05-29-2009, 12:00 PM
An average score is 1500 out of 2400, 3 sections Reading, Math,& Verbal.

But the main thing colleges look at is the combined score of Reading & Math.

I'm only 100 points below the national average. I feel better now. :oldlol:

Jinxed
05-29-2009, 12:03 PM
This is exactly it... They only test you on a few areas of your brain. If there was a test for sports, running, body control, strength etc I am sure Rose would ace it.

My point is that as a point guard in the NBA, it takes more than athletic skill. You need the other kind of intelligence as well. Do you need to be Stephen Hawking? Of course not, but it remains to be seen whether one can be as stupid as Drose and still be a great PG who makes intelligent bball decisions and can analyze the game in order to maximize his potential.

Interminator
05-29-2009, 12:03 PM
That's right. I forgot he's my age, so he was in the first year of the new SAT. But seriously, don't you get like 200-300 points just for putting your name down?
Thats what makes it more pathetic, I might be wrong but skipping answers doesn't penalize your score it just lowers the highest you can get.

He would've had to **** up the information section on the test, the test takers go over it with you so you can make sure you do it right.

If the 820 is on the new SAT, that's the equivalence of roughly 550 on the old one. :eek: On the old SAT, wasn't the minimum to get a sports scholarship 700?
Yes but chances are you wouldnt be cleared by the NCAA to play your freshman season, and some schools wouldnt dare go that low for a player in the admissions process.

Interminator
05-29-2009, 12:08 PM
I'm only 100 points below the national average. I feel better now. :oldlol:
:oldlol:

Yeah 1st time I took the new SAT I got a 1370, got the letter in the mail and my mother nearly fainted thinking it was out of 1600.

Yeah but taking it a few more times after enrolling in SAT prep classes will definetly boost your school, my 3rd try I got a 2010.

Had full scholarship offers to Seton Hall,Rhode Island,Connecticut among others and turned down each because I wasnt sure about going to college.

Now I'm 21 sitting at home arguing about basketball on the internet while working a night job.FML

White Chocolate
05-29-2009, 12:09 PM
Thats what makes it more pathetic, I might be wrong but skipping answers doesn't penalize your score it just lowers the highest you can get.

You're not penalized for omitting answers. Only an incorrect answer results in losing points(1/4 point I believe).

Yes but chances are you wouldnt be cleared by the NCAA to play your freshman season, and some schools wouldnt dare go that low for a player in the admissions process.

Any respectable school wouldn't go that low. I'm pretty sure schools like Duke, UNC, UCLA, and Florida have higher expectations.

Go Getter
05-29-2009, 12:10 PM
Where do you guys get that many basketball players are stupid? Some might be, but not all are.

I'm speaking relatively.

On a collegiate scale most NBA players would be the sticky stuff on the bottom of the barrel.

White Chocolate
05-29-2009, 12:12 PM
Yeah 1st time I took the new SAT I got a 1370, got the letter in the mail and my mother nearly fainted thinking it was out of 1600.

:roll: She knew it was too good to be true.

Yeah but taking it a few more times after enrolling in SAT prep classes will definetly boost your school, my 3rd try I got a 2010.

I went to a SAT prep class for about 2 months. I slept through the whole thing and never went back. I was never academically motivated.

Go Getter
05-29-2009, 12:17 PM
This.

But in todays of age of marketing yourself outside of basketball, it does not help to be legally retarded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzYOsQBGttA

:oldlol: :oldlol:

Being a Bulls fan (from Chicago) I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt...

But you're definitely right.

meh
05-29-2009, 12:22 PM
I'm speaking relatively.

On a collegiate scale most NBA players would be the sticky stuff on the bottom of the barrel.

There's a difference between lacking in knowledge and stupid. It's possible for someone who can't even write his own name to be a genius, simply because he's never had any education.

Basically, not even able to get the minimum requirement on the SATs means you either skipped through all your high school classes or you're dumb as a brick. I'm more likely thinking he's the former, considering he is a star basketball player. If so, as long as he's willing to learn, he should be fine.

That said, I do think there's something to be said about players who can't even test into college. Even if it may not translate into basketball, it does matter in everyday life. Not having basic high school academic skills can be problematic when you're a 20 year old millionaire with tons of people trying to grab that money.

just_laugh
05-29-2009, 12:24 PM
SAT doesn't translate into basketball IQ. The only parts of SAT that are required are these 2:

Math: Knows the difference between 2 pointer and 3 pointer
Linguistic: Be able to communicate/understand your teammates

Interminator
05-29-2009, 12:24 PM
Any respectable school wouldn't go that low. I'm pretty sure schools like Duke, UNC, UCLA, and Florida have higher expectations.
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/07jxgXg1zp9oX/340x.jpg
:confusedshrug:

Jinxed
05-29-2009, 12:26 PM
The NCAA only looks at the critical reading and math sections and not the new writing section.

And Interminator...bravo on the 640 point improvement. That's seriously impressive. But you are an idiot for not going to college.

boozehound
05-29-2009, 12:27 PM
do you see how those arent active mental activities but rather physiological measurements? As others say, standardized tests dont tell you everything about a persons intelligence, but not being able to get an 820 (dont you get 400 just for signing your name?) is indicative of either a lack of intelligence or sheer laziness/lack of caring.

as for those saying the SAT tests how well you can memorize stuff, thats pretty untrue. Tests within a class may emphasize regurgitation of knowledge, but the SAT does a pretty good job of evaluating your actual knowledge of the subjects at hand (math, language, and problem solving).

Regardless, it has little bearing on his future as a basketball player.

JayGuevara
05-29-2009, 12:28 PM
Standardized tests mean nothing. I took the ACT (cuz pretty much everything around here is ACT, not SAT) and it was Saturday morning at 8 AM and I'm 17 years old and I went into the test still drunk I think, and had a hangover by the end, I kept rushing through the sections so I could put my head down and close my eyes for the extra time (I think Science was the only one I didn't have time to do this with, I ran outta time with like 1 question left), and I overall felt like **** cuz it was the day after homecoming and I drank too much. I got a 27 on my ACT's, drunk/hungover/exhausted, not trying. I was never a good student, I pushed my truancy to the brink, I didn't like homework or textbooks or anything of that nature. On the other hand, this girl I know, had a 4.0 (or higher through AP classes) all through high school, took the ACT prep courses and "studied" the past years tests or whatever, and took it three times, her best score being a 27. She was accepted into University Of Michigan, I post on insidehoops.com.

Although I used to thoroughly enjoy making fun of her for having the same test results, she honestly resented it and was slightly bitter. :oldlol:

Go Getter
05-29-2009, 12:31 PM
There's a difference between lacking in knowledge and stupid. It's possible for someone who can't even write his own name to be a genius, simply because he's never had any education.

Basically, not even able to get the minimum requirement on the SATs means you either skipped through all your high school classes or you're dumb as a brick. I'm more likely thinking he's the former, considering he is a star basketball player. If so, as long as he's willing to learn, he should be fine.

That said, I do think there's something to be said about players who can't even test into college. Even if it may not translate into basketball, it does matter in everyday life. Not having basic high school academic skills can be problematic when you're a 20 year old millionaire with tons of people trying to grab that money.

Some people do not take written tests well....it doesn't mean they are stupid.

He could have skipped through HS and college and still have the common sense to live within his means and save money while avoiding fatuous expenditures.

boozehound
05-29-2009, 12:33 PM
Standardized tests mean nothing. I took the ACT (cuz pretty much everything around here is ACT, not SAT) and it was Saturday morning at 8 AM and I'm 17 years old and I went into the test still drunk I think, and had a hangover by the end, I kept rushing through the sections so I could put my head down and close my eyes for the extra time (I think Science was the only one I didn't have time to do this with, I ran outta time with like 1 question left), and I overall felt like **** cuz it was the day after homecoming and I drank too much. I got a 27 on my ACT's, drunk/hungover/exhausted, not trying. I was never a good student, I pushed my truancy to the brink, I didn't like homework or textbooks or anything of that nature. On the other hand, this girl I know, had a 4.0 (or higher through AP classes) all through high school, took the ACT prep courses and "studied" the past years tests or whatever, and took it three times, her best score being a 27. She was accepted into University Of Michigan, I post on insidehoops.com.

Although I used to thoroughly enjoy making fun of her for having the same test results, she honestly resented it and was slightly bitter. :oldlol:
but again, what you are saying (you werent a good or serious student) doesnt mean you werent (arent I guess) intelligent. What it does show is that that girl was a very hard worker who did her best to maximize her limited natural intelligence, while you were a lazy SOB who wasted a space in the school for 4 years despite your potential.

again, the standardized tests dont tell everything (obviously) but they tend to be relatively good indicators of potential collegiate success as well as your grasp of the specific subject areas. There are reasons why many schools consider the ACT or SAT a better indicator of your potential than your GPA.

boozehound
05-29-2009, 12:36 PM
Some people do not take written tests well....it doesn't mean they are stupid.

He could have skipped through HS and college and still have the common sense to live within his means and save money while avoiding fatuous expenditures.
there is a difference between taking a test well and getting about the bottom 5th percentile (or whatever an 820 would be). And, unless you have a learning disability, your ability to take a test like the SAT and get an average score (not a brilliant score) is a reflection of your intelligence and ability to learn in a structured classroom setting.

WorldWarriors
05-29-2009, 12:39 PM
Who gives a damn, really? None of this will affect his NBA career. Bunch of fodder for message boards and news outlets. But in the end it doesn't matter a bit.

tontoz
05-29-2009, 12:42 PM
I don't think written tests have much relevance on a basketball court. Judging from what Rose did as a rookie this year i think it is a pretty safe bet that he is smart enough for the NBA.

Go Getter
05-29-2009, 12:43 PM
there is a difference between taking a test well and getting about the bottom 5th percentile (or whatever an 820 would be). And, unless you have a learning disability, your ability to take a test like the SAT and get an average score (not a brilliant score) is a reflection of your intelligence and ability to learn in a structured classroom setting.

No...it is not. It's more about memorization....I passed a lot of my college courses without learning much....I just listened to the lectures and memorized whatever was needed before the test. Sometimes I didn't 'learn' anything.

Which doesn't have a damn thing to do with basketball.....he obviously has an aptitude for basketball or else Memphis (or whoever) wouldn't have risked so much to help him cheat.

Basketball is a simple [children's] game.

TrueRob
05-29-2009, 01:35 PM
All the SAT scores show is how much time that person spent studying the material. Rose probably grew up with bad school habits. (i.e. not studying, not doing homework, not listening to the lecture, ditching, etc.) It's easy to fall behind if you've had these habits your whole life.

D-Rose
05-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Lol who gives a damn? I bet half of the guys in the league couldn't make a decent score on the SAT. It's basketball not chess.

Atomic DOG
05-29-2009, 01:40 PM
Chauncey Billups

Actually Billups comes off as practically brain-dead in most interviews I've seen with him.

Bean
05-29-2009, 01:45 PM
You are equating academic intelligence with basketball intelligence and you have the nerve to call Derrick Rose dumb?

boozehound
05-29-2009, 01:48 PM
No...it is not. It's more about memorization....I passed a lot of my college courses without learning much....I just listened to the lectures and memorized whatever was needed before the test. Sometimes I didn't 'learn' anything.

Which doesn't have a damn thing to do with basketball.....he obviously has an aptitude for basketball or else Memphis (or whoever) wouldn't have risked so much to help him cheat.

Basketball is a simple [children's] game.
As I already said, rote memorization doesnt really work for standardized tests. Sure, it works for course exams with a focused amount of material, but in the case of a standardized test, you are encountering new problems, new words, etc that you cant memorize. I agree that there is a way to think those things out (and that can be taught), but its not simply memorization (unless you count knowing the problem geometric theorems and how to apply them).

As I also said, it has no reflection on his basketball ability or IQ or whatever.

GOBB
05-29-2009, 01:51 PM
Kevin Garnett didnt do good in school. It was poor. Yet we know he is a future Hall of Fame lock. Most have experienced watching him play from high school until now. No need to run down his stats, accomplishments, feats, nor how much money he has made over the years (multi millions).

So much for a dumb guy huh. I'd trade my good grades for his bad ones + NBA career.

adamcz
05-29-2009, 01:52 PM
Basketball requires mostly spatial intelligence (as well as obvious physical attributes). When you glance at a moving object and intuitively know exactly where it will be two seconds later, that's a definite form of intelligence. A computer would have to perform advanced math to compute the present location of (let's say) the ball, the velocity that it's moving, how the rotation of the ball will impact its path, etc.

Some humans have a knack for this stuff and some just don't. I'm always amused when I play frisbee that some players just can't tell that based on the angle of the disc, it will curve a lot, and so they don't run to where it will go. But I bet Derrick Rose would know where.

On the other hand, I've heard that Ruben Patterson just could not learn playbooks. Even a simple playbook with a few basic sets and 4 or 5 in-bounds plays was too much for him to memorize, and he would just freelance out there no matter what the coach called. I believe this has a lot to do with the fact that he was out of the league the very moment that his athleticism started to decline - no coaches wanted to deal with him.

If Derrick Rose is your PG for 35+ minutes per game, do you as the coach even have the option of running a complicated offense with 30 plays to memorize? Maybe so, maybe not.

Go Getter
05-29-2009, 01:52 PM
As I already said, rote memorization doesnt really work for standardized tests. Sure, it works for course exams with a focused amount of material, but in the case of a standardized test, you are encountering new problems, new words, etc that you cant memorize. I agree that there is a way to think those things out (and that can be taught), but its not simply memorization (unless you count knowing the problem geometric theorems and how to apply them).

They give you practice tests and the scope of the questioning also...i.e. things that can be memorized.

I memorized the things that were more difficult for me and used deductive reasoning for other questions I didn't know for sure.

It's called an aptitude test not a IQ test for a reason.

Go Getter
05-29-2009, 01:54 PM
Basketball requires mostly spatial intelligence (as well as obvious physical attributes). When you glance at a moving object and intuitively know exactly where it will be two seconds later, that's a definite form of intelligence. A computer would have to perform advanced math to compute the present location of (let's say) the ball, the velocity that it's moving, how the rotation of the ball will impact its path, etc.

Some humans have a knack for this stuff and some just don't. I'm always amused when I play frisbee that some players just can't tell that based on the angle of the disc, it will curve a lot, and so they don't run to where it will go. But I bet Derrick Rose would know where.

On the other hand, I've heard that Ruben Patterson just could not learn playbooks. Even a simple playbook with a few basic sets and 4 or 5 in-bounds plays was too much for him to memorize, and he would just freelance out there no matter what the coach called. I believe this has a lot to do with the fact that he was out of the league the very moment that his athleticism started to decline - no coaches wanted to deal with him.

If Derrick Rose is your PG for 35+ minutes per game, do you as the coach even have the option of running a complicated offense with 30 plays to memorize? Maybe so, maybe not.

30 plays?

Cleveland has 4 or 5 right?

Terry Bradshaw was an idiot and an NFL Qb!

/end thread.

Jinxed
05-29-2009, 02:04 PM
That is an excellent point, Bradshaw is actually borderline retarded.

Terry Bradshaw passed the SAT

kumquat
05-29-2009, 02:16 PM
Wasn't Olowokandi meant to be a pretty smart guy?

Look at guy like Brandon Roy,

"Before he could get started, though, there was one more big number he'd need to put up: a qualifying SAT score. Roy suffers from a learning disability that makes timed tests extraordinarily difficult, and his first attempt at the SAT fell short"

tontoz
05-29-2009, 02:20 PM
Terry Bradshaw passed the SAT

Speaking of FAIL they don't have a pass/fail option on the SAT. :oldlol:

Secondly how would you even know whether or not he bombed the SAT? For all you know he had someone else take it for him. I knew someone who did that and it wasn't an athlete trying to get into a school.

GiveItToBurrito
05-29-2009, 02:30 PM
Harsh? Just because some one couldnt take a test doesnt mean they are stupid.

This. The SAT doesn't even measure intelligence, it's just your skill with math and English. Those are really important skills for college, life, and regular 9-5 jobs, but they don't really translate to the NBA. I mean, he's probably never going to be a great interview, but he's not necessarily dumb or something, just an unimaginative communicator who needs a calculator to leave a reasonable tip at a restaurant.

phoenix18
05-29-2009, 02:41 PM

:applause: You got a 27 as well! Man, I cant take tests on Saturday Morning. I dont know why the hell they do that. I actually took the pre ACT test at school I think my sophomore year and it predicted my ACT score to be in between 29-33. But its much easier to take a test on a Wednesday morning.

BallersTalk
05-29-2009, 02:46 PM
820/2400 is pretty bad. Most of that test is pretty basic. No reason why you can't score more than that on the new SAT's.
Kobe scored like a 1000+ out of 1600 on his SATs...

JayGuevara
05-29-2009, 02:48 PM
but again, what you are saying (you werent a good or serious student) doesnt mean you werent (arent I guess) intelligent. What it does show is that that girl was a very hard worker who did her best to maximize her limited natural intelligence, while you were a lazy SOB who wasted a space in the school for 4 years despite your potential.

again, the standardized tests dont tell everything (obviously) but they tend to be relatively good indicators of potential collegiate success as well as your grasp of the specific subject areas. There are reasons why many schools consider the ACT or SAT a better indicator of your potential than your GPA.

Well yeah, I was lazy and academically unmotivated and decided that I would just make as many mistakes and bad decisions as possible during the four years of high school instead of paying attention to classes and studies. I just liked to rub it in because she was condescending and thought she was one of the intellectual elite, and it infuriated her that I got the same score as her on the ACT's. :oldlol:

But, at the same time, all those mistakes and bad decisions I made taught me a lot that books never could. Is that not a form of knowledge? Just because the knowledge you have retained and the things you have learned aren't part of the standardized testing curriculum doesn't mean you're an idiot. Or maybe I'm just rationalizing and making excuses and being long winded talkin bout "street smarts", which is like "inner beauty", excuses/justifications made by dumb/ugly people. :oldlol:

nbastatus
05-29-2009, 02:48 PM
hahahahaha
o well... he is still a great player

BallersTalk
05-29-2009, 02:54 PM
Well yeah, I was lazy and academically unmotivated and decided that I would just make as many mistakes and bad decisions as possible during the four years of high school instead of paying attention to classes and studies. I just liked to rub it in because she was condescending and thought she was one of the intellectual elite, and it infuriated her that I got the same score as her on the ACT's. :oldlol:

But, at the same time, all those mistakes and bad decisions I made taught me a lot that books never could. Is that not a form of knowledge? Just because the knowledge you have retained and the things you have learned aren't part of the standardized testing curriculum doesn't mean you're an idiot. Or maybe I'm just rationalizing and making excuses and being long winded talkin bout "street smarts", which is like "inner beauty", excuses/justifications made by dumb/ugly people. :oldlol:
Like you said, you're lazy. That's just as bad as being stupid (if not worse).

bdreason
05-29-2009, 02:59 PM
He doesn't seem like the brightest cat... but he sure can ball.

His lack of intelligence could translate to the court, and limit his growth as a player... but he's already proven he can play at a high level.

Rose isn't going to be dropping dimes like Nash, but Nash could only dream of doing some of the things Rose can do physically.

Positive
05-29-2009, 03:22 PM

hahaha, wow... I couldn't even listen to the whole thing because half of what he said made no sense.

jjayfive
05-29-2009, 03:24 PM
he's just lazy.....

CantStop
05-29-2009, 03:27 PM
Kobe could have went to an IVY league school with his SAT's.More athletes should be like him

Positive
05-29-2009, 03:31 PM
Kobe could have went to an IVY league school with his SAT's.More athletes should be like him

:roll:
I hope you're not serious, dude got a 1080...

CantStop
05-29-2009, 03:35 PM
:roll:
I hope you're not serious, dude got a 1080...

That's obviously without trying. He knew he was going to the NBA. 1080 on the old SAT's without trying is def Harvard level.

Snoop_Cat
05-29-2009, 03:48 PM
Who the hell cares.
He still makes more money and will be more famous and successful than the majority of people who got a 2400/36 on their SAT/ACT

YAWN
05-29-2009, 03:52 PM
what the hell, i didn't know they got a new SAT.
i got a 1230 on the old one on my first try and didn't bother taking it again

boozehound
05-29-2009, 03:56 PM
That's obviously without trying. He knew he was going to the NBA. 1080 on the old SAT's without trying is def Harvard level.
uh, no its not. I knew people with 1400 (old score) who didnt get in. Now maybe on an athletic scholarship (since the standards are always lower).

Atomic DOG
05-29-2009, 03:58 PM

you lie or exaggerate about every single aspect of your life.

why would anyone believe this nonsense?

Redefine9d
05-29-2009, 04:00 PM
Ivy league schools don't give out athletic scholarships. You're also not getting into Harvard with a 1400 unless you're godly outside of the classroom (extracurriculars, volunteering, etc.)

Atomic DOG
05-29-2009, 04:00 PM
1080 on the old SAT's without trying is def Harvard level.

lol what!??!?! not even close dude.

The_Yearning
05-29-2009, 04:36 PM
why does he need to score high on the sat to play basketball? you need oxygen more than anything to play basketball chumps. ish is full of idiots.

allball
05-29-2009, 04:39 PM
you guys come up with anything nowadays.

Rose's basketball IQ is just fine.

Jordan-esque
05-29-2009, 04:41 PM
isiah thomas.
I spilled coffee EL OH EL-ing when I saw that!

Jinxed
05-29-2009, 04:46 PM

LMFAO...are you serious...The average Harvard SAT score is 1500.(old test)

1080..bwahaha..that's about 57%ile... Just above average..You can't get into Harvard with a 1080..and if you think 1080 is impressive...well....sheesh..

If I had gotten a 1080 I would have held my head in shame

highwhey
05-29-2009, 04:57 PM
Derrick Rose=Basketball Genius. That's all that matters.

boozehound
05-29-2009, 05:36 PM
Ivy league schools don't give out athletic scholarships. You're also not getting into Harvard with a 1400 unless you're godly outside of the classroom (extracurriculars, volunteering, etc.)
sure they do. its just through a third party.

BankShot
05-29-2009, 06:01 PM
Any links to these 'stupid interviews'? I guess I've never heard him talk, now that I think of it.

I've seen him in interviews, and he's not stupid he's just really soft spoken and polite. Anyone else ever heard an NBA player respond to an interviewer with "no ma'am" before??

ukplayer4
05-29-2009, 07:14 PM
yes i do think he comes off as a little slow mentally and yes i truely believe this can prohibit all world talents from becoming all time great players but rose does have all world talent physically and a good grasp of the game. look at rajon rondo- the guy is thicker than pig **** and he manages fine. he will be a top player in the league, probably not great in terms of decission making thoe.

Kobe4life
05-29-2009, 07:19 PM
hes already a top 20 player in the nba and will make more money than all of us combined in this forum hehe

sixerfan82
05-29-2009, 09:55 PM
Who needs to be smart when you can be judgmental!

zabuza666
05-29-2009, 10:56 PM
How does the marking system for the SATs work? I heard it's a relatively easy set of exams.

unbreakable
05-29-2009, 11:13 PM
hes already a top 20 player in the nba and will make more money than all of us combined in this forum hehe

LOL no ****.

:cry: :lol

meh
05-29-2009, 11:20 PM
How does the marking system for the SATs work? I heard it's a relatively easy set of exams.

I took my SATs a while ago, under the 1600 system. Now there's also writing. So it's 2400 points divided 3 ways among math, english(reading/vocab), and writing. But I'm sure the basic idea remains the same regardless of the system.

It was basically graded on a curve. You get 400 points just for turning in your paper. The median grade is 1000(middle point between 400 and 1600). And minimum for college was 600. So basically you just need to score 200 points... which is absurdly simple for normal students who simply listens in class and can at least pass.

Of course, being a basketball phenom, I sincerely doubt Rose cared about classes even in high school. I probably wouldn't.

JayGuevara
05-30-2009, 03:23 AM
you lie or exaggerate about every single aspect of your life.

why would anyone believe this nonsense?

What am I lying about?

And you have ANOTHER new account starface? How many times do you gotta get kicked outta the same place before you realize that you're not welcome? :confusedshrug:

ds123
05-30-2009, 05:33 AM
Yea, I saw another thread was made on this but it had alot of false information going around so I felt it needed some honest clarification...
(This is all assuming Memphis rumors are true)

To put this into perspective:

820 SAT is the OLD NCAA requirement under the OLD SAT (2 sections, 800pts per section)

The scoring is 200-800 for each section so, you get 400 free points for your name.

National average was ~510 for each section with standard deviation of about ~100 points. Meaning, 1SD above or below the avg puts you in top or bottom 17% of the nation respectively, and 2 SD's above/below the avg puts you in the top or bottom ~3%.

So, given Derrick Rose couldn't score a 410 on each section, it comes out to him being unable to reach the 17th percentile vs. the national populace. And keep in mind it's not like only the people that go on to college take the test. Practically EVERYBODY takes the test - that's alot of dumb people you're being measured against, and you can't beat 17 out of 100 of them.

What is the approx number of people that go onto some kind of college? I think right around half. Let's assume the bottom half of SAT scorers are the ones that don't go onto college. Derrick Rose doesn't even make 50th percentile amongst just that group of people either. In fact, the the SAT NCAA minimum would translate into ~34th percentile amongst the students that don't go onto college (17/50) and Rose can't even score that high.

(Yes, I know, the math is very very approximate but the point still stands)

Rose might have taken the new SAT, but it's basically the same thing, all the numbers are just shifted because its 3 sections not 2.

Conclusion? Who knows. Last time I checked the 2 best players in the NBA right now never went to college.

cotdt
05-30-2009, 05:37 AM
Kobe and Lebron are both very intelligent people off the court. Kobe said he had the ability to slow down time during basketball games. Lebron said he can mentally make the rim grow larger make his halfcourt shots fall in.

lukeridnour08
05-30-2009, 05:38 AM
This wouldnt happen to lebron/kobe
/thread

Kjeldar
05-30-2009, 05:42 AM
Conclusion? Who knows. Last time I checked the 2 best players in the NBA right now never went to college.

Kwame Brown and CJ miles, right? :roll:

Anyways, thanks for the post, i didnt quite understand this SAT thingy (im not american) and now i do.

whether rose took it or not... i dont think it matters. He is not in there anymore.

meh
05-30-2009, 05:45 AM
Actually, I'm pretty sure that it was 600 minimum under old rules. Because I remember hearing about some high school kid who jumped directly to the NBA because he couldn't get the 600 needed for college. 820 under the 1600 system is actually not bad. Probably means you're getting at least Cs in class.

Regardless, the fact that Rose can't get the points could just mean that he never bothered with high school. Regardless of how easy 820 is for regular joes like us who NEED college to succeed in life, it's probably not high on the list of priorities for Rose.

That said, if he truly isn't the brightest tool in the shed, he'll probably never be more than a scoring point.

ds123
05-30-2009, 05:48 AM
Actually, I'm pretty sure that it was 600 minimum under old rules. Because I remember hearing about some high school kid who jumped directly to the NBA because he couldn't get the 600 needed for college. 820 under the 1600 system is actually not bad. Probably means you're getting at least Cs in class.

Regardless, the fact that Rose can't get the points could just mean that he never bothered with high school. Regardless of how easy 820 is for regular joes like us who NEED college to succeed in life, it's probably not high on the list of priorities for Rose.

That said, if he truly isn't the brightest tool in the shed, he'll probably never be more than a scoring point.

It's a sliding scale actually depending on your GPA and SAT.

"The "sliding scale" has also been extended. It will now allow a higher core GPA to reduce the SAT component. A 2.5 core GPA will still require a 820 SAT score, a higher core GPA of 2.75 GPA would need a 720 SAT score, a 3.0 core GPA would only require a 620 SAT score and a 3.55 core GPA would require just a 400 SAT score"

I just assumed the worst for his high school GPA.

Bodhi
05-30-2009, 05:54 AM

If you're just going by SAT scores, iirc Kobe scored well above the national average on his.

cotdt
05-30-2009, 05:56 AM

Not true, Kobe has a college degree. He went to community college while playing for the Lakers.

momo
05-30-2009, 06:40 AM
Not true, Kobe has a college degree. He went to community college while playing for the Lakers.

Really? I don't remember this... link or it did not happen.

Rekindled
05-30-2009, 10:34 AM
Rose took the new sat, check the year he took it. he couldnt reach a 820/2400

indiefan23
05-30-2009, 10:37 AM
Yea, I saw another thread was made on this but it had alot of false information going around so I felt it needed some honest clarification...
(This is all assuming Memphis rumors are true)

So... athletes are dumb? Wow, I learned something. Or, no, I didn't.

allball
05-30-2009, 11:19 AM
so who's smarter:

the guy who busts his ass for 4+ years for MAYBE a six figure job

OR

the guy who realizes his athletic ability, works on his basketball game and makes 4 mil plus per year plus future endorsements and an inevitable max contract?

hmmm

koBEDABEST
05-30-2009, 11:27 AM

bball IQ is a whole otha type of intelligence broh, u cant use school to measure how good someone is at sports

hell, most of the times the sports superstars at highschools are the one that have the most trouble with their grades(not necesarely becuz theyre stupid)

wang4three
05-30-2009, 11:32 AM

Being able to get into college and going are to college are two different things.

I don't think SATs are really indicative of much, but Kobe and LeBron both were eligible to go so there is a difference. Kobe and LeBron chose not to with the option of going, Rose didn't have that choice.

boozehound
05-30-2009, 11:32 AM
Kobe and Lebron are both very intelligent people off the court. Kobe said he had the ability to slow down time during basketball games. Lebron said he can mentally make the rim grow larger make his halfcourt shots fall in.
no they arent. lebron is about as undereducated as they come and it shows.

boozehound
05-30-2009, 11:35 AM
Kwame Brown and CJ miles, right? :roll:

Anyways, thanks for the post, i didnt quite understand this SAT thingy (im not american) and now i do.

whether rose took it or not... i dont think it matters. He is not in there anymore.
well, it will probably matter to memphis.

statman32
05-30-2009, 11:46 AM
so who's smarter:

the guy who busts his ass for 4+ years for MAYBE a six figure job

OR

the guy who realizes his athletic ability, works on his basketball game and makes 4 mil plus per year plus future endorsements and an inevitable max contract?

hmmm
Having the opportunity to make more money does not make the guy that had athletic ability smarter than the guy that busted his ass for 4+ years for maybe a six figure job.

Inspector Rick
05-30-2009, 11:49 AM
What does this sh!t have to do with putting a ball through a hoop?

Jinxed
05-30-2009, 12:08 PM
Kobe got a 1080 on the SAT. Which is in the 57th percentile. Just good enough to get into mediocre college.

David Robinson got a 1320 on the old old style SAT..which is about a 1400 on the one Kobe took.

Kareem Abdul Jabbar got an 1120 on the old old one as well.

boozehound
05-30-2009, 12:13 PM
Kobe got a 1080 on the SAT. Which is in the 57th percentile. Just good enough to get into mediocre college.

David Robinson got a 1320 on the old old style SAT..which is about a 1400 on the one Kobe took.

Kareem Abdul Jabbar got an 1120 on the old old one as well.
arent the Drob and Kobe ones the same (1600)?

Positive
05-30-2009, 01:57 PM
arent the Drob and Kobe ones the same (1600)?

Yeah, I'm almost positive they are...

Godfather
05-30-2009, 01:59 PM
How can someone be that stupid? How?

Godfather
05-30-2009, 02:03 PM
Kobe and LeBron are very intelligent people, and it shows in interviews and such.

From the interviews of Derrick Rose he always seemed like an idiot and this score does not surprise me.

There are several good players in the NBA who would be considered stupid, but there are truly no great players who are considered this stupid. (Taking into perspective how terrible this sat score is)

Peter Griffin
05-30-2009, 02:16 PM
Maybe it was the questions that Rose had to answer that he didn't understand!

Questions like~~ If you had 20$ and a Bucket of 12 Piece KFC chicken was 16$, How much would a 6 piece Bucket of Chicken cost? And how much would you enjoy it?!~~~Would be much better!

derb2k2
01-29-2012, 10:58 AM

The guy is a moron.

Steve Nash
Chauncey Billups
Chris Paul

Hearing Rose speak is like listening to someone scratch a chalkboard. Kid is dumb as **** and won't ever be considered an elite PG. Gonna love when his athleticism starts to fall off ahha

Celtics4ever
01-29-2012, 12:12 PM
Hearing Rose speak is like listening to someone scratch a chalkboard. Kid is dumb as **** and won't ever be considered an elite PG. Gonna love when his athleticism starts to fall off ahha

Are you that stupid? Why do people thinking being smart in school means you are smart in general? Have you ever heard of being street smart? DRose spent his childhood focusing on basketball because he knew that's what would get him and his family millions of dollars. I'm sure he didn't come back after school and spend time reading and doing HW. If he really wanted to, he could have done that and probably done much better in school, but he chose to focus on basketball a lot more, which I dont blame him.

A lot of big millionaires are high school droputs because they think it's stupid reading about how wrote the declaration of independence or who the pilgrims were. They think that stuff is useless and rather spend their time going for their other goals.

If you had the talent like Rose did, would you be working hard every day trying to put that talent to use or be reading books?

I graduated with a engineering degree from a 4 year college, and I'm working right now making decent money. I have a friend that dropped out of high school and trades stocks for a living, he is making A LOT more than me.

And from what I heard, LeBron wasn't that great in high school either, his grades should have an * next to it because teachers used to give him a free pass for being a big star in school.

Not Being school smart does not make a person not smart overall. Some people just choose not to focus on school.

Pushxx
01-29-2012, 12:17 PM
Are you that stupid? Why do people thinking being smart in school means you are smart in general? Have you ever heard of being street smart? DRose spent his childhood focusing on basketball because he knew that's what would get him and his family millions of dollars. I'm sure he didn't come back after school and spend time reading and doing HW. If he really wanted to, he could have done that and probably done much better in school, but he chose to focus on basketball a lot more, which I dont blame him.

A lot of big millionaires are high school droputs because they think it's stupid reading about how wrote the declaration of independence or who the pilgrims were. They think that stuff is useless and rather spend their time going for their other goals.

If you had the talent like Rose did, would you be working hard every day trying to put that talent to use or be reading books?

I graduated with a engineering degree from a 4 year college, and I'm working right now making decent money. I have a friend that dropped out of high school and trades stocks for a living, he is making A LOT more than me.

And from what I heard, LeBron wasn't that great in high school either, his grades should have an * next to it because teachers used to give him a free pass for being a big star in school.

Not Being school smart does not make a person not smart overall. Some people just choose not to focus on school.

Repped for a very nice post.

Vienceslav
01-29-2012, 12:20 PM
Because driving to the basket or dishing it to an open teammate is really intellectually challenging , he has athleticism as rare as having an IQ of 180 is in the general population.

derb2k2
01-29-2012, 01:01 PM
k. i agree with your posts. But just don't let him speak on national TV. :roll:

themurph
01-29-2012, 01:06 PM

Props for a very clear headed post...

Respect....

KingBeasley08
01-29-2012, 01:08 PM
an 820 :wtf: :roll: :roll:

I remember my parents made me take a practice test in 7th grade without any prep and i got a 1400.

what a dumb**** :roll: :lol

EGarrett
01-29-2012, 01:37 PM
A lot of basketball players get bad grades because they pay no attention in class and school is really uninteresting. They may actually be pretty smart but their school records (or anything requiring studying like the SAT) won't reflect it.

305Baller
01-29-2012, 01:44 PM
There are plenty of succesful people that are just not that book smart.

:D

TheMan
01-29-2012, 01:51 PM
You suck at trolling, it's clear you have an agenda against Rose, maybe he fukked your mom or something but your Rose hate is boderline insane...if you're going to critisize a player for being "dumb", take a closer look at your own team...LBJ thinks the word "unacceptable" is spelled "unexceptable", click on the link and check for yourself pha.ggott.:lol
http://articles.businessinsider.com/2012-01-12/sports/30618847_1_grammar-police-tweet-spelling

FAIL:roll:

Cangri
01-29-2012, 01:56 PM
A lot of basketball players get bad grades because they pay no attention in class and school is really uninteresting. They may actually be pretty smart but their school records (or anything requiring studying like the SAT) won't reflect it.
That makes sense, but when you hear Roes talk, you get a sense of how "intelligent" he really is :oldlol:

Then again he can just have trouble expressing himself, and maybe it's not really related to how intelligent he is.

(e)
01-29-2012, 02:00 PM
How ironic a Heat fan dug this up lol

Derka
01-29-2012, 02:06 PM
Who the hell bumps a thread like this?

Clocian-IGN
01-29-2012, 02:08 PM

bandwagon heat trolls, who else :confusedshrug:

Tenchi Ryu
01-29-2012, 02:36 PM
Really? This old of a thread too....Really?!
:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

GS1905
01-29-2012, 02:56 PM
lmao some idiots think lebrick is actually smart?? dude is dumb as hell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldTtmeYzOgo

dumbest player in nba :lol :lol :lol :lol

derb2k2
01-29-2012, 02:59 PM
lmao some idiots think lebrick is actually smart?? dude is dumb as hell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldTtmeYzOgo

dumbest player in nba :lol :lol :lol :lol

really? Rose has the IQ of a garden snail. Atleast Lebron is coherent when speaking English. Rose makes my stomach turn lmao

Tenchi Ryu
01-29-2012, 03:02 PM
really? Rose has the IQ of a garden snail. Atleast Lebron is coherent when speaking English. Rose makes my stomach turn lmao
That garden snail is shitting on any kind of money you'd dream of making in a lifetime.

SpecialQue
01-29-2012, 03:06 PM

Bulls vs. Heat today.

Quickening
01-29-2012, 03:07 PM
That garden snail is shitting on any kind of money you'd dream of making in a lifetime.

Irrelevant.

GS1905
01-29-2012, 03:08 PM

Sure Chucker Rose is dumb as hell too. Doesn't change the fact lebrick is the dumbest player in nba tho :lol :lol :lol

Quickening
01-29-2012, 03:10 PM

This would be a good post, lots of people are very intelligent but just don't focus at school, or focus on other things.... and when you hear this people talk, they will be very articulate, you know the complete oposite of Derrick Rose, who just comes across as being thick as two short planks, which is just supported by his hopeless academic performance.

Guys just a great athelete, with great determination, thick as pig shit though.

Burgz
01-29-2012, 03:25 PM

it means that they'll never get credit for reaching the championship game and every win they got is nullified

that means every team that lost to them just got one loss taken off their overall record

that 2008 team's existence has basically been nullified through the record books, we all KNOW it happened, yes, but officially it never did

:milton

hawksdogsbraves
01-29-2012, 03:37 PM
A lot of players in the NBA are dumb as hell, and yes, Rose is certainly among the dumbest. The guy can barely even speak.

It does limit his leadership skills I think, but other than that it's all basketball. Don't have to be too smart to run pick and rolls.

TheMan
01-29-2012, 03:53 PM
Who doesn't know how to spell "unacceptable"...:lol LBJ, that's who!

Pretty much tells you he ain't the sharpest knife.

Clocian-IGN
01-29-2012, 03:59 PM
A lot of players in the NBA are dumb as hell, and yes, Rose is certainly among the dumbest. The guy can barely even speak.

It does limit his leadership skills I think, but other than that it's all basketball. Don't have to be too smart to run pick and rolls.

not dumb. just dont care about shit that doesn't relate to them. remembering info just to remember them is useless. thus why the school system is a failure

hawksdogsbraves
01-29-2012, 05:24 PM
not dumb. just dont care about shit that doesn't relate to them. remembering info just to remember them is useless. thus why the school system is a failure

Well there's a lot wrong with your post, but inability to pass the SAT aside (which is unbelievably pathetic by the way) all you need to do is listen to any interview with Rose to get a feel for how stupid the guy is. He can barely form complete sentences.

Pointguard
01-29-2012, 09:11 PM
an 820 :wtf: :roll: :roll:

I remember my parents made me take a practice test in 7th grade without any prep and i got a 1400.

what a dumbfk :roll: :lol

You took a different test. Your's had four letters, his had three, smartguy :lol

The_Yearning
01-29-2012, 09:15 PM
Derrick Rose has a low b-ball IQ. I don't think many can argue that.

ILLsmak
01-29-2012, 09:16 PM

I think I'm a pretty good judge of intelligence just by watching the way someone moves, their eyes, and how they act. Rose is not really dumb.

Big Baby is dumb.

-Smak

Rhinox
01-29-2012, 09:18 PM
Derrick Rose has a low b-ball IQ. I don't think many can argue that.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

no actually a lot of people can argue that.

knickswin
01-29-2012, 09:46 PM
i think intelligence is a multifaceted thing . . . a lot of athletes who had brilliant, heady games were not "book smart" at all. i've heard about brilliant college quarterbacks and point guards being morons in their classes. I'm "book smart," got nearly a perfect score on the SAT . . . but I had to quit baseball because it was too much for me to realize where I was supposed to throw the ball in any situation.

Pharcyde
01-29-2012, 09:57 PM
Well there's a lot wrong with your post, but inability to pass the SAT aside (which is unbelievably pathetic by the way) all you need to do is listen to any interview with Rose to get a feel for how stupid the guy is. He can barely form complete sentences.

So being shy in front of cameras can't cause someone to fumble words around? Unless you've talked to Derrick in person.....

BlueandGold
01-29-2012, 10:00 PM
Rose seriously looks like he's illiterate . I mean even when he casually speaks to the media he always seems like he's fumbling for his words.. in fact I don't think I've ever heard him say any word that was more than 3 syllables.

Everytime I hear him do an interview I want to hand him a hooked on phonics book.. he seriously sounds that dumb. I mean he starts out every sentence with an "um"

TheMan
01-29-2012, 10:08 PM
How ironic but this is easily the dumbest thread in ISH:facepalm

kumquat
01-29-2012, 10:14 PM
Yeh rose is pretty sumb.

TheMan
01-29-2012, 10:29 PM
Yeh rose is pretty sumb.
Stupid iPhone:lol