PDA

View Full Version : Jordan Compares Nicholas Batum to Scottie Pippen

03-14-2009, 01:16 AM
On the Blazer TV tonight they said MJ was talking about how Nicholas Batum is like a young Pippen. Nay or Yah?

Forget about looking at box scores for Batum. This guy plays hard and a defense force already. Batum makes the most amazing hustle blocks I have ever seen. Is arms are so long he looks funny.

He had a career high tonight with 20 points. and steller defense and game changing plays. Look out....

And yes at this point and what Batum is doing in games with the Blazers he deserves his own thread.

bdreason
03-14-2009, 01:20 AM
I like Batum's game and potential.

I don't like Jordans inability to properly evaluate players.

ballinforkeeps
03-14-2009, 01:21 AM
Jordan also compares kobe bryant as the next chris webber.

AznTacoLover
03-14-2009, 01:22 AM
if he could only be more aggresive on the offensive end and take it in more.
but his defense is great.guys better be watching out for him when they be making a layup now. :D

beasted86
Yes... a rookie Pippen... that's where the comparison ends.

I like the kid though... in the offseason he needs to become more consistent from the outside, and definitely bulk up some. If I had to make a comparison though, it wouldn't have been Pippen, he's looking alot like a young Tayshaun Prince.

Lebron23
Jordan also compares kobe bryant as the next chris webber.

What about LeBron?

iamgine
03-14-2009, 01:26 AM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/ian_thomsen/04/10/hoop.summit/p1.batum.jpg

Tainted Sword
03-14-2009, 01:29 AM
What about LeBron?
To a ****ing trash can!

jk. ;)

You act like Jordan went down a list of every player in the league in alphabetical order and compared them to someone.

03-14-2009, 01:34 AM
http://images.wikio.com/images/p/71aa/foirest-vs-batum.jpeg

WTF?

http://photos.oregonlive.com/photos/oregonian/a4c47cc3b0813acc7b46cdc29a7bce0d.jpg

OldSchoolBBall
03-14-2009, 01:35 AM
He was comparing him to young Pippen. People act like Pippen came into the league a star.

AznTacoLover
03-14-2009, 01:43 AM

WTF?

http://photos.oregonlive.com/photos/oregonian/a4c47cc3b0813acc7b46cdc29a7bce0d.jpg

first picture looks photoshopped. :wtf:

Valliant13
03-14-2009, 01:46 AM
He won't be Pippen...but the kid has the tools to be a great player in the league. Most underrated guy on that blazers roster.

DonDadda59
03-14-2009, 01:48 AM
He was comparing him to young Pippen. People act like Pippen came into the league a star.

Exactly, he wasn't saying Batum=prime, perennial all star and defensive team, MVP candidate Pippen. Scottie was an unknown before the draft and made a name for himself at the comnine based on raw natural talent, like Batum.

03-14-2009, 01:51 AM
first picture looks photoshopped. :wtf:

I think it is for I found this one online also. I think it is the same pic.

http://www.euroleague.net/resourceserver/1089/b5de75e9-26b9-4125-bb5c-30691cab4e9b/ac4/rglang/en-US/filename/b5d.jpg

I would like to see a scouting report on Batum.

kumquat
03-14-2009, 01:54 AM
Batum=GHOAT

Greatest haircut of all time :roll:

Chicago-Rose
03-14-2009, 01:55 AM
Very high praise from God about this Batum kid. I must watch him more closely from now on.

Manute for Ever!
03-14-2009, 02:17 AM

Looks like Prince was his father

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/prince460.jpg

swyftdahoe
03-14-2009, 03:49 AM
lol Hyperbole aside, I am very impressed by Batum thus far. At the very least, he'll be one of those glue guys that all winning teams need. A surefire defensive stopper.

swyftdahoe
03-14-2009, 03:51 AM
Very high praise from God about this Batum kid. I must watch him more closely from now on.

lol Jordan was only God while playing. He's barely a peasant as an exec.

kumquat
03-14-2009, 04:03 AM

Check out the Batum Connection on youtube. He's got a whole stack of Batum highlights from each game

http://www.youtube.com/user/thebatumconnection

03-14-2009, 04:50 AM
--Bonjour! Je m'appelle Nicolas Batum. Le slam! Le block! Un, deux, TROIS! Encore, s'il vous plait! Un, deux, TROIS! O

DuMa
03-14-2009, 06:32 AM
the guy is underrated now but with jordan's comment, he will now be overrated.
but seriously the kid is just solid. hits open 3s, plays great defense, doesnt make boneheaded decisions. overall solid role player. instrumental to the blazer's success this season

The Joker
03-14-2009, 08:23 AM
I would like to hear Pippen's response to Jordan's comments. Think about that...
But is Batum talented? Yea, sure.
Will he ever be like Pippen in the future? No.
You could make the comparisons this year, but like someone else said, it ends at that.

lilmarcgasol
03-14-2009, 08:26 AM
Batum is Trevor Ariza Junior with more potential but he will never be as good as Pippen even if he works his ass off every off season and reaches his full potential, sorry Batum.

The Joker
03-14-2009, 08:28 AM
Batum is Trevor Ariza Junior with more potential but he will never be as good as Pippen even if he works his ass off every off season and reaches his full potential, sorry Batum.
BINGO!

RoseCity07
03-14-2009, 08:34 AM
Scottie was a skinny nothing his rookie year with no offense. If anything, Batum is ahead of Scottie right now.

lilmarcgasol
03-14-2009, 08:42 AM
Scottie was a skinny nothing his rookie year with no offense. If anything, Batum is ahead of Scottie right now.
:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:
You are the biggest idiot on this board.

A more apt comparison for your boy Batum is Tayshaun Prince. That is what Batum should be aiming for because he is not, and never will be the quality allaround player that Pippen was. You do realize that Pippen could handle the ball and had the vision and passing ability of a point guard, with the shooting of a shooting guard, and a post game and strength of a PF, all in a really athletic and INSANELY long body who was one of the hardest workers in the league?

Of those things, all Batum has is the athletic body and length. There is no way Batum will EVER develop into even close the player that Pippen was.

jrong
03-14-2009, 09:00 AM
I would like to hear Pippen's response to Jordan's comments.

I'd like to hear Jordan's response to Pippen's guarantee in 2006 that LeBron will end up becoming better than him (Jordan, I mean).

I would also like to watch Michael spit out his beverage, if he's taking a drink from one at the time, when he hears that Scottie called himself a top-ten player ever.

JordanL
03-14-2009, 09:10 AM

I'm alwaysw cautious about using the word NEVER with guys who have high BBIQ... look at Stockton, Pippen, Porter... guys who were nobodies, and used their great BBall IQ and hard work to be a great of their time.

Not that I'm implying Batum is that, just that using the word never with a smart player is foolish IMO. I would never say "never" about Scola, or Bayless, or Batum, or Rose... all of them are smart players first, with varying levels of natural ability to improve upon and hone.

lilmarcgasol
03-14-2009, 09:12 AM
I'm alwaysw cautious about using the word NEVER with guys who have high BBIQ... look at Stockton, Pippen, Porter... guys who were nobodies, and used their great BBall IQ and hard work to be a great of their time.

Not that I'm implying Batum is that, just that using the word never with a smart player is foolish IMO. I would never say "never" about Scola, or Bayless, or Batum, or Rose... all of them are smart players first, with varying levels of natural ability to improve upon and hone.
That is because you are a blind homer who also thinks Oden isn't a bust and Jarryd Bayless will become one of the best combo guards in the league. Me on the other hand, with a firm grasp on the basketball world, I find it safe to say that Batum will never reach near the level of Scotty Pippen.

JordanL
03-14-2009, 09:19 AM
That is because you are a blind homer who also thinks Oden isn't a bust and Jarryd Bayless will become one of the best combo guards in the league. Me on the other hand, with a firm grasp on the basketball world, I find it safe to say that Batum will never reach near the level of Scotty Pippen.

JordanL: < Well reasoned explanation of why I disagree with the particular point being made. >

lil: "SH!TC0CK!!!"

I believe this is relevant: http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/3/19/

lilmarcgasol
03-14-2009, 09:22 AM
Pippen had the ball handling and passing and vision of a guard. You can learn ball handling but you can't learn passing or vision. Batum's passing and court vision just isn't up to Scotty's level. Batum will never be as good as Scotty Pippen seeing as Scotty was an allaround genius on the court, while Batum clearly has gaping holes in his game, many of those holes being things that can't be taught or learned.

JordanL
03-14-2009, 09:25 AM
Pippen had the ball handling and passing and vision of a guard. You can learn ball handling but you can't learn passing or vision. Batum's passing and court vision just isn't up to Scotty's level. Batum will never be as good as Scotty Pippen seeing as Scotty was an allaround genius on the court, while Batum clearly has gaping holes in his game, many of those holes being things that can't be taught or learned.

There. That wasn't so hard.

Although, if you read my post again, it was less about Batum becoming Pippen, (which I very highly doubt), and more about Pippen, Stockton, etc. all being "never" guys before they became Hall of Famers.

TheWitness
03-14-2009, 10:21 AM

Pippen, best point forward ever?

plowking
03-14-2009, 10:37 AM
What about LeBron?

He said Lebron smells bad and is probably gay.

loot
03-14-2009, 10:37 AM
He said Lebron smells bad and is probably gay.
That's just because he didn't play at NC.

lilmarcgasol
03-14-2009, 10:58 AM
Pippen, best point forward ever?
Yes but Lebron might wind up being better

ZOMG
03-14-2009, 11:27 AM

Right. :rolleyes: Before he came to the NBA, Batum had been playing pro ball for YEARS in Europe. He's much closer to his ceiling than you think.

Pippen was one of the best ballhandlers ever at his height. Batum is a horrible ballhandler with no ability whatsoever to create his own shot. He finishes fast breaks and shoots spot-up threes. That's it. He's worse than Travis Outlaw, and that's saying something.

Pippen was also much stronger and faster. Batum gets steals and blocks, but they're as much a product of his totally freakish wingspan than his athleticism or eye for the game.

Forget Scottie, Batum is more like Stacey Augmon Part II.

One thing about Pip, though - someone said he had "the shooting of a SG". No way. He was a career .326 three point shooter and he never got any arc on his jumpers.

beasted86
03-14-2009, 11:52 AM

As posted before... yes.. your a complete dumbass. Pippen averaged more points, more rebounds, more assists, more steals, and more blocks with better FG % on 2 more minutes per game, and never started one game as a rookie.

He's not near to being ahead of Pippen right now or ever.

soadrules
03-14-2009, 11:57 AM
[QUOTE=5150]--Bonjour! Je m'appelle Nicolas Batum. Le slam! Le block! Un, deux, TROIS! Encore, s'il vous plait! Un, deux, TROIS! O

blazerjimmy
03-14-2009, 12:43 PM
JordanL: < Well reasoned explanation of why I disagree with the particular point being made. >

lil: "SH!TC0CK!!!"

I believe this is relevant: http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/3/19/

THANK YOU!!!:D

RoseCity07
03-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Right. :rolleyes: Before he came to the NBA, Batum had been playing pro ball for YEARS in Europe. He's much closer to his ceiling than you think.

Pippen was one of the best ballhandlers ever at his height. Batum is a horrible ballhandler with no ability whatsoever to create his own shot. He finishes fast breaks and shoots spot-up threes. That's it. He's worse than Travis Outlaw, and that's saying something.

Pippen was also much stronger and faster. Batum gets steals and blocks, but they're as much a product of his totally freakish wingspan than his athleticism or eye for the game.

One thing about Pip, though - someone said he had "the shooting of a SG". No way. He was a career .326 three point shooter and he never got any arc on his jumpers.

HAHAHHA this guy is mad. You're a retard. First of all, Batum can creat his own shot, he just doesn't make them consistently. Pippen was not stronger or faster. I read the book on where Scottie Pippen came from and his abilities when he was drafted. You're not fooling anyone you idiot.

Rekindled
03-14-2009, 03:08 PM

first of all, he only played 2 years.

batum is very good passer and has very good handles, he is arguably the best passer on the team.

batum is easily the 2nd most athletic player on the blazers behind outlaw

03-14-2009, 03:31 PM
first of all, he only played 2 years.

batum is very good passer and has very good handles, he is arguably the best passer on the team.

batum is easily the 2nd most athletic player on the blazers behind outlaw

Would you put Batum ahead of Martell Webster?

DuMa
03-15-2009, 10:52 AM
batum = james posey

hoopaddict08
03-15-2009, 01:01 PM
He reminds me more of Tayshaun Prince more than Scottie Pippen

Rekindled
03-15-2009, 01:02 PM
He reminds me more of Tayshaun Prince more than Scottie Pippen

same body type , totally different play style.

BankShot
03-15-2009, 01:03 PM
Exactly, he wasn't saying Batum=prime, perennial all star and defensive team, MVP candidate Pippen. Scottie was an unknown before the draft and made a name for himself at the comnine based on raw natural talent, like Batum.

Batum was hardly unknown before the draft. Prior to being drafted, he was touted as one of the best young players in Europe, and a possibly NBA lottery pick. However, the year before being drafted, he had a disappointing and inconsistent year, with inconsistent minutes, with his French League team.

03-15-2009, 01:06 PM
Batum was hardly unknown before the draft. Prior to being drafted, he was touted as one of the best young players in Europe, and a possibly NBA lottery pick. However, the year before being drafted, he had a disappointing and inconsistent year, with inconsistent minutes, with his French League team.

I remember when Portland drafted him. He was said to be going to the D League. When Martell Webster got hurt he got the starting spot over Outlaw. Batum has took full advantage of this.

BlazersDozen
03-15-2009, 01:47 PM
Would you put Batum ahead of Martell Webster?

Everybody would put him above Martell Webster...

In terms of Blazers athleticly...

Outlaw
Bayless
Batum
Roy

Webster is maybe fifth.