Chris Paul interview after beating the Magic
• Knicks forward Julius Randle speaks on 2OT win over Celtics
• No firm timetable yet for return of Bulls guard Coby White
• Deandre Ayton speaks on lack of Suns extension agreement
• G League: Raptors 905 coaching staff announced
• Pelicans and Jonas Valanciunas agree to contract extension
• Jaylen Brown had some breathing issues due to COVID-19
• Jim Boylen named head coach of November 2021 USA Basketball World Cup Qualifying Team
• DeMar DeRozan buys new Chicago mansion
• Celtics re-sign Jabari Parker
• Timberwolves exercise contract options on Anthony Edwards and Jaden McDaniels
• Raptors exercise contract options on Precious Achiuwa and Malachi Flynn
• Lakers add Avery Bradley via waiver wire
• Hawks sign Kevin Huerter to contract extension
• Pacers sign Malcolm Brogdon to contract extension
• Grizzlies sign Jaren Jackson Jr. to contract extension
• Rockets add Garrison Mathews, waive Anthony Lamb
• Spurs exercise contract options on Keldon Johnson and Devin Vassell
• Hornets waive Wes Iwundu
• Lakers sign Jay Huff to two-way contract
• Celtics sign Brodric Thomas to two-way contract
• Raptors waive forward Ishmail Wainright
• Memphis Grizzlies waive Kris Dunn, David Stockton and Matthew Hurt
• OKC Thunder waive Mamadi Diakite, Justin Jaworski and Oliver Sarr
• Trail Blazers waive Patrick Patterson, Marquese Chriss and Quinn Cook
• Timberwolves waive forward Vince Edwards
• Orlando Magic waive Admiral Schofield, B.J. Johnson, Jeff Dowtin and Hassani Gravett
• Utah Jazz waive forward Nino Johnson
• Mavericks waive Justin Jackson and EJ Onu
• Sacramento Kings exercise contract option on Tyrese Haliburton
• Dallas Mavericks sign Justin Jackson and E.J. Onu
• Dallas Mavericks waive Carlik Jones, Feron Hunt and Tyrell Terry
• Miami Heat waive DJ Stewart, Javonte Smart, Micah Potter and Dru Smith
• Rockets sign Daishen Nix, waive Marcus Foster
• Atlanta Hawks exercise contract options on DeíAndre Hunter, Cam Reddish and Onyeka Okongwu
• Timberwolves waive Brian Bowen II, Chris Silva, Matt Lewis and Isaiah Miller
• Grizzlies sign David Stockton, waive Ahmad Caver
• Kings waive forward Emanuel Terry
• Timberwolves sign forward Vince Edwards
• Lakers waive Joel Ayayi, Chaundee Brown Jr., Cameron Oliver and Trevelin Queen
• Pelicans waive John Petty Jr.
• Utah Jazz sign forward Nino Johnson
• Utah Jazz waive Derrick Alston Jr., Marques Bolden and MaCio Teague
• Charlotte Hornets waive Jalen Crutcher and Cameron McGriff
• Rockets sign Armoni Brooks and Marcus Foster, waive Tyler Bey
• Grizzlies sign Ahmad Caver and Matthew Hurt, waive Sean McDermott and Romeo Weems
• Lakers waive guard Mac McClung
When debating who should receive the 2007-08 NBA Most Valuable Player Award, itís hard to have a discussion without mentioning New Orleans point guard Chris Paul. In just three years the Wake Forest product has turned the Hornets from a habitual loser to one of the league's best squads.
As the Hornets push toward the playoffs and a chance for home court advantage in the tough Western Conference, every win matters. So when Paul led his Hornets to a tough road victory after being down by as much as 14 in the fourth quarter in Orlando against the Magic on Tuesday night, it wasnít much of a surprise to those who see him on a regular basis.
Hereís what Paul, who had a bad shooting night but still finished with 19 points, four rebounds, 12 assists and two steals, told InsideHoops.com and other media outlets after the Hornets clinched the 98-97 come-from-behind victory.
Question: How much of difference does it make having multiple guys that can come through in the clutch and make the big shots?
Chris Paul: It makes a huge difference. We were in here talking about it earlier. I didnít even know Peja [Stojakovic]was 2-for-11 tonight, it seemed like he made more shots than me. I was like 6-for-19 [tonight]. I told David West early in the game when shots werenít falling we just realized this is one of those games where it ainít about the percentages, we just have to grind it out and get the win and worry about that later. Guys just made plays when they needed to.
Question: Playing on the road against a good team in a hostile environment, how did you guys handle it?
CP: Man, weíre a team thatís been through it all you know what I mean? Thatís something we were talking about earlier on this road trip. We got to other teamís practice facilities, we donít have one ourselves. Weíve been in Oklahoma Ö I donít know, not too much rattles us. Weíve been through just about every situation and I think thatís why when weíre on the road in tough situations that it doesnít really bother us.
Question: You guys dominated the offensive boards tonight, talk about the play of the frontcourt guys tonight.
CP: When you miss so many shots you get a lot of chances at offensive rebounds. We shot the ball horrible tonight, but like I said it shows a lot of perseverance with our team and the fight and hustle we have to grind it out and get this win.
Question: You guys are flying under the radar in terms of national recognition, is that good thing?
CP: Man, it doesnít even matter right now. Weíve got nine games left now and we donít really pay attention to that stuff too much, we focus on the task at hand and take it one game at time. We do an outstanding job of staying focused and realizing how important each game is.
Question: This team has won a lot of tight games lately, is grace under pressure the best way to describe this team as of late?
CP: Yeah, we know who needs the ball where and we know where guys are going to be because weíre battle tested Ė or at least we feel like it right now Ė we donít get rattled because we know everybody on the court can make a big play to win the game.
Question: Chris, you missed two free throws that could have put you guys up by three, but after the miss you came back and played tight defense and got the win. What were you thinking?
CP: I think my teammates knew how mad I was when I missed those. Being the leader of the team I always want the ball in that situation and I understand Iíve got to make those shots. But we knew we were still winning and if we came out and got a stop that would be in the past.